A Mother's Treasure Is Her Daughter

Guest lollypop

Chapter 39

Charlie sat in the waiting room. Her mind a blur as she tried patiently to wait for news on Ruby. Anxiety building time passed by without a word from any of the medical staff. Gripping her hands together she tried desperately to stop the shaking, but it only stopped momentarily. Looking down at the picture she had taken from Ruby back at the bookies, she could feel the tears building in her eyes again. How could their lives have changed so drastically in such a short space of time? It was only a week ago that they were laughing and joking in the front yard after a water fight broke out while cleaning Charlie's car.

In the back of her mind, Charlie felt like she was being punished for something. Like the universe had somehting against her and refused to let her be happy. But what really got to her, was that Ruby was the one who was suffering the most. Ever since her daughter was a little girl, the only thing Charlie wanted was to see her smile and to see her happy. That was what really meant the most to her when she was watching Ruby grow up. If she could see that then everything else didn't matter to her. Not her career, not her strained relationship with her father. Not even the pain Grant caused her. As long as Ruby was happy, so was she.

Staring down at the picture, she felt lost. Like she was stuck on a never ending rollercoaster she couldn't get off. Suddenly, she was snapped out of her daze by the gentle caress of a hand on her shoulder. Looking up, she saw the caring gaze of Martha looking down at her. Offering her comfort and sympathy through her gesture. Sitting down beside Charlie, she gently rubbed her back and offered her words of encouragement that Ruby would be fine. As the words left Marha's mouth, Charlie found herself silently praying that she was right. But she couldn't drown out the fear that was eating away at her. Her daughter had cheated death twice, could she really do it a third time.

Out of the corner of her eye, Charlie say Rachel walking towards them. Bolting out of her seat, she stopped Rachel dead in her tracks.

"Rach, how is she? How's Ruby?", she said without so much as taking a breath.

"Ruby lost a LOT of blood". Rachel stressed looking at the fragile woman before her who was usually a tower of strength. "We had to do a blood transfusion, but other than the scaring on her wrists, we're fairly confident Ruby will be fine", she finished rubbing Charlie's arm in a comforting manner.

"Can I see her?", Charlie asked, her patience finally wearing thin.

"Of course, she's been asking for you", Rachel said, turning on her heel and leading Charlie to her daughter's room.

Rachel opened the door and gestured for Charlie to enter. Walking throught the the entrance, Charlie looked around at the surroundings she had become all too familiar with. Turning to the bed she looked at her daughter, who lay wrapped up under the covers. The only sound was that of the heart rate monitor. Rachel watched as Charlie took a seat next to the bed and as quietly as she could, she closed over the door and left the pair in peace.

Charlie sat by Ruby's bedside and gently took a hold of her daughter's hand, looking at the bulky bandaging wrapped tightly around her as if sensing her mother in the room, Ruby began to stir. Raising her free hand she rubbed her eyes, adjusting them to the light. Shifting slightly she tried to sit up, but found Charlie restraining her. Looking up at the woman staring down at her, she began to cry.

"I'm so sorry Charlie", she said, sobbing her heart out as she thought of the pain she must have caused her.

Looking into her daughter's sorrowful eyes, Charlie could see the little five year old girl she tried so hard to protect from the evil of the world. The little girl who would run home from school and jump into her arms smoothering her in hugs. The little girls who's smile could melt a thousand hearts. The little girl who managed to push aside all of Charlie's anger towards her daughter for attempting to take her own life. Regardless the reasons. The little girl who made Charlie see the other side of the tale. That Ruby loved her so much, she was willing to sacrifice her own life for Charlie's. Suddenly, she found herself sobbing with her daughter. Opening up her arms she pulled Ruby into a tight embrace and planted a kiss on top of her head.

Ruby clung to her mother's arm and buried her head into the embrace. Hours ago, she thought she would never see her again. Now, she was wrapped up in her arms listening to her mother tell her everything was going to be okay. Just like she had always done when Ruby was upset. And just as she had always done during times of distress for Ruby, Charlie climbed up onto the bed and lay back, with her daughter laying her head against her chest, clinging to her, not wanting her to let go. Wrapping both arms around Ruby, she lay silent and hushesed her daughter to sleep.

A couple of hours later Ruby was up walking around with Charlie, still slightly light on her feet, leaning against her mother and her walking cane for support. As they were coming up towards the reception desk, they were approached by Rachel and another woman, dressed in a suit. Rachel introduced the woman to Charlie and Ruby. Charlie shook her hand and introduced her self, Ruby remained apprehensive.

"Charlie this is Doctor Petersen, she like to have a chat with for a couple of minutes if that's alright", Rachel said looking between the two women.

Charlie nodded in agreement and watched on as Rachel led Ruby back to her room. Walking over to the vacant waiting area, the two women sat down and Dr. Petersen explained to Charlie that she was from a psychiatric hospital in the city. This made Charlie uneasy and she began to feel very uncomfortable in herself as the woman told her all about the facilities that were available there. Charlie looked at the woman.

"I'm sorry what's this got to do with Ruby?", she asked, nervously waiting to be told something she didn't want to hear.

The woman removed her glasses and looked down, realising this was going to be a touchy subject.

"When patients who have made an attempt on their lives are brought into hospital, it's protocol to alert the psychiatric unit as there may be many underlying issues other than what they present", the woman said, threading carefully as she noticed how tense Charlie was becoming. "While I am aware of Ruby's situation, I'm also aware that she's been through quite a few traumatic experiences over the past couple of months. Which is why I am recommending the she be committed to full time care in the city so that she can be looked after by professionals", she finished.

Charlie looked at the woman in shock. She couldn't believe what she was hearing. The woman sitting in front of her wanted to take her Ruby away to the city. The woman looked at the reluctance on Charlie's face and she completely understood why. She had seen it so many times before talking to other parents and felt for them. It's not like she was taking their kids on a luxury cruise. They would be in treatment, indulging in intense therapy sessions. Everything was far from a walk in the park. But she also knew from her professional point of view that Ruby needed it. Although she may seem fine, soon the denial would fade away and then she would find herself on the brink of total meltdown. Dr. Petersen explained this to Charlie and eventually she made a breakthrough.

Reflecting on what she had been told Charlie realised that the doctor was right. Ruby had been through so much. She didn't know how long it would take before her daughter did go into a complete meltdown and she couldn't bear the thought of witnessing that. Although still reluctant she agreed that Ruby needed the treatment and after some further discussion there was only one question left Charlie wanted the answer to.

"How long will she be there for?", she asked.

"Roughly about six weeks, if she responds well to the therapy and the treatments", the woman said.

Charlie thought to herself...six weeks, that's a long time...and then looked down at her hands. The woman continued.

"We do have a rule that states no visitors or contact with loved for the first few weeks. We like to make sure that patients settle in and feel comfortable in themselves. We feel any family contact would just make it harder on both parties if it were any other way", she finished placing a hand on top of Charlie's. "We'll be moving her today".

A couple of weeks, I've never been apart from Ruby for more than a couple of days, even when we were living apart...Charlie thought to herself as she watched the doctor enter Ruby's room to inform her of the decision that ahd been made. She didn't know how Ruby would take it. She hated the idea of Ruby being held in some facility in the city away from her. But she was worried more about how her daughter would take it. Walking towards the room, Charlie could hear the conversation through the barely open door.

"What....no....no I don't want to go!!" Ruby yelled at the woman.

"Ruby your mother and I think it would be in your best interests...."she was cut of by Ruby's sobs.

"No Charlie would never let me go...she wouldn't....."

Unable to listen to anymore, Charlie burst into the room and found Ruby in tears standing in a corner and the doctor sitting on the bed trying desperately to calm her. Walking straight over to Ruby, she engulfed her in a hug and fell to the ground with her daughter in her arms, listening to her painful cries. uby spoke into Charlie's chest.

"Please don't make me go mum.....please", was all she could manage through her tears.

"Rubes", Charlie said as she stroked her daughters hair, "Baby listen to me. I don't want you to go either, but I need to do what's best for you and I can't do that here. If I could I would but I can't. I'm sorry sweetheart, I'm so sorry. But I'll be up in the city in a couple of weeks to see as soon I'm allowed, I promise", Charlie said trying to hold back her own tears.

"I don't want to go mum", Ruby said as her tears continued to fall.

"I know baby, I know", Charlie replied desperately trying to hold back her tears.

From the door, two male nurses appeared at the doorway. Dr. Petersen nodded at Charlie to tell her it was time for Ruby to go. The nurses walked into the room and tried toremove Ruby from Charlie's grasp, but she wouldn't let go. Grabbing a hold of her arms one of the nurses unlatched them and the other pulled Ruby out of Charlie's embrace. Standing her up they led her to the door, almost dragging her. The doctor walking ahead. Charlie followed them out into the corridor and watched as Ruby fought against the two men.

"Mum, please don't make me go, please" she shouted.

The sight before her unbearable Charlie ran up to her daughter and cupped her tear drenched face in her hands, she placed a long lingering kiss on Ruby's forehead.

"I love you so much. I'll see you soon I promise", Charlie said before letting go of her daughter.

Breaking down Ruby looked at her mother.

"I love you too mum", she said and then stopped her struggle against the nurses.

Watching as they made their way down the corridor, Charlie wondered if she had made the right decision. Down the corridor, Charlie say the little five year old girl smiling back at her, and then, she vanished.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was really well written! You have a beautiful style of writing and that update was really emotional!

Though I'm glad Rubys out the way for a bit, there'll be more Charlie now.

Maybe she'll get back with Angelo aye? ;)

update sooooon

xx

Chapter 40

Ok, so this chapter is gonna have a lot of flashbacks. It's basically a look at Charlie's past from Ruby's birth and then continuing on from there I'm not 100% happy with this but hopefully you'll enjoy it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sitting in the living room, Charlie reflected on the disasterous day she had been through as work. It seemed like she couldn't do anything right. Her mind was constantly elsewhere and she knew being the senior officer at the station, she couldn't just take the day off because of the fact she was distracted. It also didn't help that everytime she turned around she bumped into Angelo. How she wished he had been transferred out of Yabbie Creek after the investigation had been closed. At least that would have been one less thing for her to have to stomach everyday.

For the past week, Charlie had wondered aimlessly, trying to keep her mind focused on anything that would stop her going crazy. She missed Ruby. She missed the fighting over the bathroom in the mornings, the morning chit chat over breakfast before school, the cuddling on the couch at the end of a long day as they filled each other in on how school or work went. Now the only thing she faced at the end of the day was an empty house. Every night she went through the motions of cleaning the house, picking up take away from the diner, listening to Colleen bombard her with questions about Ruby when the truth of the matter was, she didn't know.

She didn't know how Ruby was doing. She didn't know if she was okay because she wasn't allowed to contact her. All Charlie wanted to do was pick up the phone and talk to her. But she couldn't and thats what really hurt. Then after spending a few meaningless hours talking to Martha, Leah and Rachel, she would spend the night at home, alone with the company of a bottle of wine and the thoughts that swirled around her head she couldn't block out. Everyday was like groundhog day, she knew that the next day would bring the exact same thing.

Sitting alone in the living room, Charlie stared into the distance. Then snapping out of her trance like state, she stood up and walked down the corridor, stealing a quick glance into Ruby's empty room, then continuing down to her bedroom, she pulled out her silk bed shorts and vest top and her short matching robe. Making her way to the bathroom she turned on the shower and stripped out of her police uniform. Looking at her reflection in the mirror, she turned he gaze to the cesar scar on her bikini line. Running her finger along it, she found herself remembering just how it had come to be.

Although it was the worst time in her life, out something so horrific, came the greatest gift Charlie had every recieved and for that she felt some sort of gratefulness for what had happened to her as a teenager. After spending quite some time soaking in the soothing hot shower, she dried herself off and dressed in her bedwear. Walking out of the bathroom she enter her bedroom and sat down at her vanity mirror. As she dried her hair she looked at the pictures that adorned the edges of the mirror. Pictures of Charlie on nights out with old friends and colleagues form the city, with her mother before she died, with her father, with her daughter, and then her eyes set upon a picture of her with Angelo.

Taking the picture down into her hands, she gazed at it for a couple of minutes. It was during one of their dates when tehy first got back together. Thinking back, she couldn't help but wonder what she saw in him. Was it his misconduct as a police officer? His inability to follow protocol? His violent tantrums when things didn't go his way? or was it the fact she was so scared of being alone she would happily give in to his constant nagging that they were a match made in heaven? Either way, one thing she knew for certain, whatever it was she felt for Angelo, it wasn't love. She could never truly love him. Turning the picture sideways, she tore it in half and dumped it in the bin beside the table.

Standing up she walked into the the kitchen and opened up the fridge. Pulling out a bottle of wine, she accidentally knocked some of Ruby's insulin bottles off the shelf and onto the floor. Smashing off the ground, Charlie slammed the wine bottle on the counter and ran her hands through her hair.

"****", she shouted as she picked up a brush and pan, she bent down and sweeped up the broken bottles and dumped them in the bin.

Then carefully stepping over the spot she had just sweeped up, she picked up the bottle of wine and a wine glass, walking from the kitchen to the living room. Sitting on the couch she put the glass on the coffee table in front of her and poured out a large glass of wine. Picking up the glass, she took a large swig and sat back on the couch. Closing her eyes for a moment she let out a small laugh at how pathetic she was being. If anybody could see her at that moment thay would laugh at her.

Opening her eyes she glanced around the room. Her eyes fell upon the book case that practically covered a whole entire wall. It was used to hold books, picture frames, police documents and photo albums. Walking over to the photo album shelf she took one out. It was red in colour and the lettering across the front. Sitting back down on the couch, she moved her wine glass to one side and place the photo album on the coffee table in front of her. It was the photo album she had shown Ruby. The one she kept as a personal momento of her daughter growing up, that she hid from her parents because she knew her father would never allow it.

Running her hand across the front of the album, she opened it up to the first photo. It was a picture of Ruby only one day old. Suddenly all the memories came flooding back...........

Lying in her hospital bed, Charlie's eyes were fixed on the sleeping baby lying in the crib beside her. Looking at her child, she felt empty. All she could see was what happened that night with Grant. How had her life turned out like this. She was fourteen years old. She should be out with her friends getting up to mischief. Not lying in hospital being forced to nurse a child she couldn't even look at without feeling disgusted. Then her parents walked in and cooed over their newborn granddaughter. Elsie looked at Charlie and watched as the youngster turned on her side away from them. Her eyes stinging with tears.....

Flipping the page, the next picture was a week old Ruby coming home for the first time. Ross holding her in his arms as Elsie smiled down at her..........

Walking into the nursery, Charlie quietly closed over the door, not wanting to wake the baby or alert her parents that she was with the child. As she stood by the crib she looked down at the little baby girl smiling up at her. It unhinged her that she was actually awake. Charlie nervously stood beside the crib. She didn't know what possesed her to be in that room. All she could think of was what Grant had done. Just then, as she went to move the teddy beside the baby, a little hand latched onto her finger and gripped it tightly. Charlie felt felt something inside her well up. Looking at the little baby girl, she broke down in tears. What had this little girl done to deserve such a terrible mother like Charlie? It just seemed cruel when she thought of where this baby had come from. Glancing at the baby, her heart melted as she saw her rosey cheeks and ruby lips. Then it hit her.

"Ruby", she said.

But then she stopped herself. She realised whe was becoming attached to the little girl and she couldn't bear it. She couldn't offer her anything. She was fourteen years old. The little girl deserved more. She deserved parents who could love her and take care of her. From the door, Elsie listened to her daughter...Ruby she thought to herself, my granddaughters name is Ruby.

That night, after writing a letter to her parents, Charlie snuck out of the house, as she tried to escape her never ending nightmare..........

A tear escaped Charlie's eye and lined her cheek, as she tried to understand in her own head why she would leave such a precious thing behind. Turning the page the next picture was Ruby's second birthday. The first of her birthdays Charlie ever went to......

Watching from distance, Charlie smiled the little toddler when she saw her face light up as she played with her new toys. Ruby was perched upon Ross's knee smiling at the man she called "dada". Elsie walked up behind Charlie, her breaking at the decision that had been made about Charlie and Ruby's future.

"You know it's not too late. If you want to raise Ruby your father and I will support you in whatever way we can", Elsie said as she placed a gentle hand on her daughters shoulder.

Charlie smiled at her mother and turned back to look at Ruby. She pointed at her daughter.

"But look how happy she is. I can't take that away from her", Charlie smiled as a tear rolled down her cheek. "It's better this way. Ruby's my sister and that's how it's going to stay".....

Charlie flipped through another few photos and then stopped at one of her and Ruby at a little league soccer game. Charlie was about twenty years old in the pictureand she was had just picked Ruby up and was holding her in her arms. Smiles were widespread across their faces.........

Stepping out of her car, Charlie stretched her arms. It wasn't often she was able to get away from the police academy, but Ruby was playing in a little league final and she didn't want to miss it. Walking up to the sideline she stood beside her parents. She greeted her mother who gave her a hug. Then turned to her father who was playing the strict authority figure on her.

"Charlie", he simply said with a quick glance.

She never expected much from him. His stern stance towards her was something she was used to. All she did now was wait for the third degree.

"Does the academy know your here?" he said taking his eyes off the game to look at her.

"Yes dad, they do know. See unlike you,I know there's more important things in life besides work", she said, turning her attention back to the game.

Just then she saw her little siser score the winning goal and jump up and down. Then whe the referee blew the whistle, Charlie made her way onto the pitch. Noticing Ruby spot her in the crowd, she topped and watched as the little girl runnin towards her. Dropping to one knee Charlie opened out her arms and Ruby ran into them, wrapping her arms around her big sisters neck. Picking her up, Charlie swung her around, still holding her in her embrace.

"Charlie did you see it, I scored the winnig goal", th little girl said excitedly.

Charlie smiled at her.

"Yeah I did and I'm so proud of you", she said tipping the young girl on the nose.

Just then Elsie walked up and took a quick picture of the pair and smiled..........

Charlie smiled at the picture, remembering the day as if it were only yesterday. She continued flicking through the photo album for about another hour, until finally she drifted off to sleep. Clutching the photo album and the memories close to her chest.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived