A Mother's Treasure Is Her Daughter

Guest lollypop

Chapter 36

The next morning, Charlie awoke early, determind to have a nice breakfast with her daughter and a chat. She also remembered that the young man she had met the day before, Dylan, was joining them. As much as Charlie dreaded the idea of Ruby taking an interest in someone who was clearly older than the usual teenage boys Ruby dated, Dylan seemed like a genuinely nice guy, and Charlie wasn't going to stand in the way of her daughter being happy. For however long this crush, or whatever it was, lasted.

After running the brush through hair, she grabbed her watch off the bedside table and walked out of the room, making her way down to the kitchen. Picking up the dirty plates from the night before, she placed them in the dishwasher and turned it on. Turning back to the centre worktop in the middle of the kitchen, she noticed the contents of Ruby's insulin kit were still layed out on it. Picking up the used syringe she popped it into the medical waste diposal bin and then packed away the monitor and insulin bottles back into the carrier case before placing it in Ruby's school bag.

Checking the time, she realised she was earlier than she anticipated. With little else to do she decided to make her way to Ruby's room for an early morning banter. Knocking on the door, she heard her daughter reply from the other side that permitted her to enter. Standing by her wardrobe, Ruby smiled as Charlie walked in and sat on the bed. Pulling her school uniform from the hanger in her hand, she flung it over her shoulder and hobbled over to her bed with the aid of her trusty walking cane.

"Morning dearest mother of mine", Ruby said with a cheeky grin on her face, putting the uniform down on the bed.

"Morning darling Ruby", Charlie replied jokiningly in response to Ruby's greeting.

Ruby stretched her arms and yawned placing her cane against the bed and kneeling one leg on it for balance, still tired from the events the day before. The last thing she expected was Tracy showing up and dredging up the past Ruby was trying so desperatly to get away from. Charlie looked up and caught Ruby in her moment of contemplation and decided to press the matter with caution.

"So," she started, taking a hold of her daughters hands, "do you want to tell about yesterday, with Tracy?".

Looking up, Ruby caught Charlie gazing at her with a thoughtful expression, clearly sympathetic to the fact Ruby had had a day from hell. She squeezed her mother's hands back,

"Not really", Ruby finally answered and then waited for a reaction from Charlie, but nothing came. "I'm just tired of trying to forget where I came from", Ruby said with a defeated tone.

Charlie sat back shocked. Hearing Ruby's words, she couldn't help feeling sorry for the young girl. As bad as it was for Charlie being raped, at least she didn't have to live with the knowledge that she was concieved from such a terrible, disgusting act of pure evil. It was at that moment that Charlie realised that Ruby had it a lot harder than she thought. It was the main reason she never wanted Ruby to know the truth. She didn't want her to have to live with that terrible feeling of guilt and sadness of what happened to her mother and how she really came to be. But the fact remained that Ruby did know the truth. But at that moment Charlie was adament that she would make her daughter feel that she would never have to be ashamed of where she came from.

Placing one hand on the side of Ruby's face, she gently caressed it, wiping away the stray tear that had fallen. It hurt her to see her daughter carrying around this much anguish. But she was going to make sure that Ruby knew she could always turn to Charlie for comfort and support.

"You came from me. You were concieved through me. I carried you for nine months, I gave birth to you and I have loved you unconditionally ever since. He has nothing to do with you, you understand?", Charlie said with authority, more as a statement than a question.

Ruby looked down and let another small tear fall down her cheek. How could she say such a thing when she had some one as wonderful as Charlie in her life. She meant everything to her and she was proud to be her daughter. Ruby lifted her hand and placed on the hand that was caressing her cheek. She was never going to feel bad about this again. Not when she had the kind of unconditional love she had. She finally looked up at Charlie and nodded her head in agreement with what she had just been told and it felt like a huge weight had been lifted.

"Ok", Charlie said with a smile when she saw the tenseness leave her daughter's body and turn into a more positive energy.

Using a hand to help her balance upright, Ruby decided it was probably about time she got dressed. But the idea was easier then the reality when she remembered she was wearing a top that was difficult to remove without causing discomfort to her lower back injury that was still healing. She turned to Charlie who was flipping through one of Ruby's old magazines.

"Mum, could you give me a hand", she asked gesturing to her top.

"Sure", Charlie said as she lept off the bed and stood facing her daughter.

Lifting her arms, Ruby felt the tug as Charlie pulled the top up over her head and pulled it off her arms, freeing her from the confinements of the trap she struggled with everytime she wore it. As Ruby tilted sideways and grabbed her uniform off the bed, Charlie's eyes wandered straight to the scar on Ruby's chest from that horrific night she was shot. Looking down Ruby noticed what it was that had sent her mother into a trance like state because she knew all too well the bad memories it brought up.

Charlie lifted her hand and traced it along the mark. It was a silvery white in colour and was slightly perturded. It was almost completely healed. But it would remain with Ruby for the rest of her life. She placed a hand over Ruby's chest and could feel her daughter's heart beat. It cause a tear to fall from her eyes as she realised that on that dark night, It could have easily given in and stopped. Ruby placed her hand on top of her mother's and stroked it as Charlie stood there feeling the pulsating rythme.

"Pretty cool don't you huh? Think it might score me some cool points from the guys at school", Ruby said with a laugh.

"Ruby", Charlie said, somewhat upset her daughter was making a joke out of it.

"Oh come on mum, I have to live with these scars for the rest of my life. If I can't joke about them how is anybody ever going to feel comfortable around me", Ruby said giving her mother's hand an encouraging squeeze.

Ruby was right. She did have to live with them for the rest of her life. It was better she learned to deal with it now than putting it off and hiding them away. Charlie caught a glimpse of Ruby's back from the reflection in the mirror and saw the other battle woud Ruby was referring to. It was much deeper and bigger. Charlie gently placed a hand on it.

"Does it hurt?", she asked.

"A little. Well it's not so much a pain, it's more discomfort but Rachel said it could take months for that to heal properly", Ruby informed her.

Charlie stood back and grabbed Ruby's uniform off the bed and helped her daughter put it on. When she was done, she wiped away the stray tears from her eyes and gave her daughter an encouraging smile. Checking her watch she realised that they had spent too much time chatting and now where tight for time.

"Go finish getting ready, we're gonna be late and you really don't want that on you first day back", she said with a smile.

Ruby let out a laugh. Picking up her cane she made her way out of the room and down to the main bathroom. Charlie sat back down on Ruby's bed and buried her head in her hands. Looking up to the heavens above, she thanked God for her beautiful daughter's life. With that she hopped up from the bed and exited the room, closing the door behind her.

Later that day Charlie found herself sitting alone in her car outside the diner waiting on Ruby. She had spent a good half an hour talking to Dylan and Ruby but while she was at the counter paying the bill she noticed how well they were getting on and decided to leave them alone for a bit. And that's how she found herself sitting alone in her car. At one point she found herself shuddering as she saw Angelo, who was now a regular police officer again, pass by with a fellow officer.

Moments later she saw Ruby emerge with Dylan. They stopped and hugged and then he bounded off in the opposite direction. Ruby stood and watched for a couple of seconds. Then she made her way over to the car and hopped in. Charlie looked at her and noticed.a look of disappointment.

"Hey, is everyting alright", Charlie asked her.

"He's going back home tomorrow....to Perth", Ruby said.

"Aww, Rubes, I'm sorry", she replied.

"No, it's fine. It's not like we were dating or anything. But we are gonna keep in touch which is good I suppose", Ruby said trying her best to do a convincing smile. "We better or go or I'm gonna be late" she finished putting on her seatbelt.

Seeing the 'I don't want to talk about it' look on Ruby's face, Charlie decided not to press the matter. At least not until later on when they were at home. The car ride to the school was quiet. But Ruby snapped out of her silence long enought to give her a kiss on the cheek and a goodbye as she headed into school. It was going to be a long day for Ruby and she couldn't wait for it to end. Charlie watched on as Ruby disappeared into the crowd. She worried how te other kids would treat Ruby on her first day back after everything. Then, through a a gap in the crowd she saw Nicole, Xavier, Annie and Romeo gather around her, joking and laughing, like old times, and then her worry was eased. With one last glance she drove off in the direction of Yabbie Creek. A long day at work beckoned.

The day seemed to drag by for Ruby. At times it felt like the day would never end. She had spent most of her English class with Mr. Copeland in a daze. Until the final bell went and she made a hasty exit. Walking home alone she found herself lost in her own thoughts...oh god Rubes ur such a pathetic loser, you only knew the guy a day or two. Just then she was snapped out of her own head by the sound of a struggle from down one of the back allyways. Trying as best she could, to run, she made her way around the corner and looked down the alleyway. Shock setting in.

Two cars were parked, with three men standing around a guy who was kneeling on the ground. The man who appeared to be a the ring leader pulled out a gun and shot the man at point blank range. Ruby watched in a daze as the man fell to the ground in a bloody heap. Before Ruby could make a run for it she saw the man wielding the gun turn and look at her. Memories of the night she was hot flooding back. As she took a step back she was stopped by a man gripping her from behind. He lifted her and brought her to the ring leader.

The man looked at her with a cold stare. He backed her against the wall and placed the gun against Rubys cheek.

"I know you, your the coppers daughter", he said with a deep sinister voice. "Your a pretty little thing".

Ruby closed her eyes and held her breath, afraid of what he was going to do.

"You mention this to the cops or your mum, I'll make her suffer. You got that?" he said pressing the gun tighter to her cheek. "I'll be keeping a close eye on you, you put a foot wrong or show any signs of cracking you'll regret it", he said before dropping the gun and walking to the car.

As the cars sped off, Ruby fell to the ground in a heap and and watched the cars disappeared. Turning around she looked at the body and felt herself getting nauseous. Standing up she picked up her cane and made tried er best to get out of there as quickly as she could. Not realising the keyring on her bag falling off as she tried to make a hasty get away. Around the block she stopped trying to catch her breath. Images flashing through her mind of what happened. She wanted so desperatly to pick up the phone and call Charlie but she couldn't. She didn't want to put her in danger. With nothing else she could do she made her way home.

Sitting in the front living room, Charlie flicked throught the magazine, patiently waiting for Ruby to come home. As if sensing her thoughts Ruby burst through the front door and dropped her school bag beside the couch. Before Charlie could say anything, Ruby made a quick advance to her room and the door slammed shut. Charlie sat there stunned. What was wrong? Had the kids been mean to Ruby? Whatever it was she decided it would be best to give her daughter some quiet time before touching the matter. Just then she got a phone call. Watson flashed across her screen.

"Watson, hey what is it?" Charlie answered.

She sat there for a second listening to what she was being told.

"Alright have forensics seen the body yet?" she asked, jumping into cop mode.

Taking down the address Charlie jumped off the seat grabbed her car keys.

"Ok, I'll be right there".

With that Charlie got up and wrote a quick note to inform Ruby of where she and the left. From her room Ruby could hear the phone converstation, Panic set in as she knew where Charlie was going. Tears slid down her cheeks and she buried her head into her pillow. She was trapped.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chapter 37

Charlie walked into the police station having come back from viewing the body and the crime scene. She was exhausted. The whole ordeal had taken longer than expected and she was now going to be to late home to talk to Ruby about why she was upset. Sitting down at her desk, she flung her cap on it and sank down into her chair, wondering how her day had ended up like it had. Just then there was a knock on the door. Watson strolled in with a file she needed Charlie to sign off on.

"Did you bag any evidence from the scene?", she asked Watson as she glanced over the file she had just been handed.

"We bagged a bullet casing, the clothing off the victim and a key ring that was found at the scene of the crime", Watson listed off. "Some of the city unit think it might be connected to the Westwood gang".

Charlie nodded at her, still glancing at the file. She picked up a pen and signed her name on the dotted line and handed it back her colleague.

"Right, well it's too late to do anything else now. We can review the evidence tomorrow after forensics have examined the body", she told Watson who nodded her head an then left the room.

Looking up at the clock, Charlie sighed. She knew she would have to have an early start in the morning so sitting around the station was pointless. Picking up her cap and car keys, she exited her office. Passing no remark or gesture to Angelo as she brushed pass him on her way out. He watched on as she left. Not once did she look back at him. Jumping into her car, Charlie ignited the engine and headed home, trying to push the the events of the day to the back of her mind.

The next morning, Charlie woke earlier than planned. She wanted to talk to Ruby about yesterday and how school went. But as early as she was, her daughter had somehow managed to leave the house before Charlie could get to her. This worried her. No matter the issue in the past, usually by morning Ruby was willing to sit down and talk to her. But it seemed like things still hadn't changed from the morning before. She thought about driving around looking fro her daughter to see if she could talk to her before school started. However the idea was so banished when Watson called her to inform her that forensics had finished with the body.

As she left the house, Charlie pulled out her mobile and dialled Ruby's number. Disappointment hitting her when it went straight to voicemail.

"Rubes, it's me. Look I don't know what's going on but could you please meet me for lunch at the diner later. I'm worried about you. Bye", she said hanging up.

Jumping into her car she sighed. It was bad enough she would have to deal with calls from her superiors all day but she hated when Ruby wasn't talking to her. Pulling out of the drive way she sped off down the street and headed for Yabbie Creek.

Later that day, Charlie entered the diner. Greeted by Colleen who hounded her with questions about the body that was found. No matter how hard Charlie tried to keep police matters under wraps, Colleen never failed to get the inside scoop and it irritated her to no end trying to get her to keep it quiet. From the corner of her eye she noticed Ruby sitting at a table all by herself twisting her phone around in her hand. She seemed unsettled.

"Uh, Colleen, I don't mean to be rude but Ruby's waiting for me", she said as she bowed out of the conversation.

Making her way around the tables scattered across the diner she finally reached her destination. Pulling out a chair she sat down and noticed Ruby hadn't even flinched.

"Rubes...Ruby", she said waving her hand in front of Ruby's face.

"What?", Ruby said looking around "What's wrong?".

"Ruby looked at her mother with a look of worry that somewhat alarmed Charlie.

"Nothing's wrong. You were a million miles away", she said grabbing Ruby by the arm trying to settle her. "Sweetie, are you alright?", she asked.

Ruby looked at her and realised that her actions and reactions were making her Charlie suspicious, which was the last thing she wanted to do. Pulling her arm away she placed her hands under the table and gripped them tightly trying to settle herself. She gave Charlie a fake smile to hide her anxiety.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm fine. It's just this whole thing about the guy being shot has me rattled is all", she said, trying to convince her mother that all was well.

"Aw, sweetheart. I'm sorry I should have realised", Charlie said feeling slightly guilty for questioning Ruby's earlier reaction.

The rest of their lunch together remained fairly quiet. Every now and again Charlie would say something just to break the silence. But Ruby barely spoke a word. It was as if she was trying to prevent anything escaping her mouth she didn't want anyone to hear. To Charlie, it felt like her real daughter, the chatty spirited young teenager, had been switched with an alternate reality teenager she didn't know. Before she could push the matter of the day before, Ruby had decided to abandon ship and head back to school. Leaving Charlie as baffled as ever.

As Ruby made her way out of the diner and in the direction of school, she was startled as someone grabbed her from behind, placing a hand over her mouth to drown out her screams. She closed her eyes and felt her body shake as she was slammed into a wall. She opened her eyes and found she was pinned against it by the man who confronted her the day before. He had one arm across her chest holding her against the wall and his other free hand was gripping Ruby by the jaw, looking at her menacingly.

"I was brought for nice little trip down to the cop shop this morning. Asked me a couple of questions about about a some murder", he said as if replaying a story to a friend. "You wouldn't happen to know anything about that would you?", he asked.

"I didn't say anything, I SWEAR!", Ruby replied, trying to convince him of the truth.

The man began laughing at her. He looked down, then looked at around at his other gang memebers. Turning back to Ruby he smiled at her. Then without flinching, he sent a right hook crashing against Ruby's face, again and again. He continued to laugh as he watched Ruby sink to the ground. The taste of her own blood in her mouth and dripping from her nose. She lay there crying as four grown men stood there, howling with laughter like a pack of wolves.

From across the way she could see Charlie walk to her car. Her mind was screaming at her to call out to her mother and end this misery. But her heart couldn't bear the idea of anything happening to her. So she lay there and listened to the laughter. Watching as Charlie stepped into her car and drove off. Leaving her behind. She looked back up at the thugs and saw the ring leader and bend down to face her.

"If the cops show up at my door again, next time this will be the least of your worries", he said, and then stood back up.

Ruby looked at him groggily. Her entire body shaking with fear. He looked down at her laughing. Then with one hard, quick swift, he kicked her in the side. His foot practically inplanted in her rib cage. Ruby screamed out in agony as he felt the cracking of broken bones. Tears streaming down her face as she lay there in a battered heap. Crying as she watched her attackers walk away. The pain was unbearable. With nothing else she could do. She lay there and hoped that the pain would subside so she could get home.

At Yabbie Creek police station Charlie browsed through the bagged evidence. She was hoping to find something that would guide her to some answers but tiredness and frustration were setting in and everything was beginning to become a blur. She picked up one of the bags. Inside was a key ring. It had a picture of the city on it wrapped in a silver frame. Charlie thought it looked familiar, but she couldn't think where she had seen it before. Then again, if it came from the city, more than like hundreds, maybe even thousands of people had them.

Just then Watson walked in looking for the evidence so forensics could process it for fingerprints. Handing her all the evidence bags on the desk, Charlie stood up and prepared to leave for the day when a fellow officer walked in and informed her that Principal Bartlett was on the phone looking for her. She sat down at her desk and pressed the line to connect her to the call.

"Charlie Buckton speaking", she said answering the call.

"Miss Buckton, I'm glad I caught you. I was wondering if you knew why Ruby never returned from lunch this morning. I don't want to jump to conclusions, she's a well behaved young girl, but I am curious", he said with a stern voice.

"Um, no I'm sorry I don't. But believe me I will get to the bottom of", Charlie said. Angry that Ruby hadn't showed up at school, and then worried it might having something to do with her strange behaviour earlier.

Hanging up, Charlie picked up her car keys and made a hasty exit. Her shift was over and she didn't need someone coming up with a reason for her to stay. Jumping in her car she headed home. Almost breaking the speed limit along the way. She wanted to talk to Ruby and find out what was going on. Turning down her street, she passed by the first few houses and then pulled into her driveway. She lept out of her car and bounded up to the front door. Pulling out her house key and opening it up.

Bursting into the house she called for her daughter but got no reply. She walked up to Ruby's bedroom door, opened it and peered inside. The only thing she found was room her daughter's school uniform laying on the floor. Walking out of the room, she walked down to the kitchen and and glanced around, still finding nothing. Then from behind her she heard the bathroom door open and Ruby emerged, wearing a long sleeved blouse and jeans. Just as Charlie was about to catch a glimpse of her, Ruby turned her back to Charlie and made her towards the front door. With the intention of leaving.

"Ruby, what's going on?", she asked with a stern tone as she chased after Ruby into the living room, but getting no reply as Ruby continued towards the door. "Ruby answer me!!", she shouted grabbing a hold of Ruby's arm.

Ruby yelped in pain and grabbed a hold of her arm. Charlie stood back slightly when she heard Ruby's small scream. Stepping up to her daughter, Charlie placed her hand on the side of Ruby's lowered head and gently turned it upright so that she was facing her. When finally caught a glimpse of Ruby's face her eyes widened in shock. String back at her was a swollen burst lip, a bruised nose that was still bleeding slightly and a black eye that was swollen shut. As soon as she saw it Charlie's mind started racing...how did this happen?...she thought. Still shocked by what she was looking at.

"Oh my God", she said, her voice shaking as she saw the tears stream down her daughters battered face. "Who did this to you?", Charlie asked. Waiting to hear a name so she could pounce into action and arrest the thug who did this to her daughter.

"It doesn't matter, just leave it", Ruby said through her tears.

"WHAT? Ruby, your face is swollen and bruised, of course it mattes! Who did this to you?", Charlie asked again. "Ruby whoever did this has to pay. Please tell me, I'm your mother", she pleaded as Ruby stood there in silence crying her eyes out as her mother stood over her waiting for her to answer.

"I can't...if I tell you it'll make things worse, they'll come after you...."Ruby started before trailing off, realising she had said to much.

She walked over to the couch and sat down shakily, her knees wobbling as her tears continued to flow. Charlie stood watching her. Worry growing as Ruby's words echoed in her head. She walked around the couch and sat down beside her daughter. Placing a hand on Ruby's shoulder she pleaded with her daughter to tell her what was wrong. Promising that she would get them protection from whatever or whoever was causing the problem. Looking into her mother's concerned eyes Ruby finally broke down and confessed.

"I know who shot that man in the alleyway.......I saw them do it", Ruby said, looking at the stunned expression plastered across Charlie's face. "I wanted to tell you so bad...but...they saw me. Tey told me they knew you were my mum and if I said anything they would come after you. I was so scared...I didn't know what to do", Ruby said as she began to cry uncontrollably.

Charlie sat there stunned into silence. She couldn't believe what she was hearing. Her daughter had witnessed the type of crime Charlie worked so hard to protect her from and she was suffering for it. Putting aside her police facade, her motherly instincts and feelings pushed their way to the surface and Charlie found her heart breaking for her daughter as she realised that Ruby ended up like this trying to protect her.

"They did this to you didn't they?", Charlie asked placing a hand on Ruby's back showing she was there to comfort her daughter.

Ruby didn't answer, she just nodded her and cried.

"Come here", she said as she went to pull Ruby into her embrace.

"Ow", Ruby screamed through her tears, squirming for Charlie to release her.

Charlie looked at her daughter and noticed she was clutching her side.

"Let me see", Charlie said, putting her hands on Ruby's top waiting for her to lift her arms so she could lift the top up and see what Ruby was hiding.

Looking as Charlie, Ruby could see the wrry etched across her mothers face and lowered her arms. Charlie began to lift the top as gently as she could, watching Ruby flinch when she was getting closer to the source of pain. Then as she continued to raise her daughter's top, she began to notice the black and purple bruising creeping up along Ruby's rib cage. The inconsistant grooves on Ruby's side suggesting to Charlie that a couple of the ribs were indeed broken. She could feel tears beginning to well up in her own eyes as she stared at the damage.

"Oh god", was all Charlie could manage.

"I'm so sorry Charlie", Ruby said as she buried her head intoher mother's embrace.

Charlie wrapped her arms around her daughter. Drowning her in kisses and rocking her back and forth.

"It's all gonna be okay, I promise", Charlie said through her own tears.

Poor Ruby! :( Glad she told Charlie the truth.

Charlie is so sweet comforting Ruby at the end

The thugs are scumbags! :angry: Hopefully they will soon get caught before they come to harm Charlie and Ruby.

Looking forwards to read what would happen next for Ruby now since she told Charlie the truth. Looks likely it may be witness protection time for her?

Chapter 38

Hey sorry it took so long uploading this chapter, I was away at the weekend. Please be warned this chapter does contain graphic detailed images.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As she lay in her bed, Ruby's mind kept replaying the events of the last few hours. She couldn't subside the fear that pumped through her veins. A fear that she felt for Charlie. If her attackers were to find out Charlie knew, she didn't know what would happen. Even the idea of what could happen was more than she could take. It hurt her more than the physical wounds she was carrying. Her mind went into overdrive as she tried to think of a way to get out of the trap she was caught in, but there was only one thing she could think of and although she wished it was a last resort, she knew she had to do it........

The next norning, Charlie woke up early. She had this sick feeling in the pit of her stomach that something wasn't right, but she wasn't sure what it was. Lying in her bed she thought of the conversation she had had with Ruby the night before. Relieving it word for word she tried to comprehend just how servere a situation her daughter was now in. That she was now in. If the Westwood gang found out that Ruby had confessed, then both her daughter and herself were at risk. But, as a police officer, she knew if she told them what happened, she couldn't gaurantee that Ruby wouldn't be faced with charges for covering up what she knew about a murder investigation.

She couldn't take it anymore. Her mind was running at a million miles an hour and she couldn't shut it off. Looking at the clock, she came to the conclusion that the only she could settle the sickening feeling was to talk to her daughter. Keeping Ruby safe and protecting her were the only things that mattered in life to Charlie. She wasn't going to stop now. Getting up out of bed, she threw on her silk dressing gown and made her way of her room down the hall and knocked on Ruby's bedroom.

"Rubes, can I come in?", she asked, but no reply came. Knocking again, she couldn't hear any movement from inside the room.

She knocked one last time before the sick feeling in the pit of her stomach began to get progressively worse. Twisting the door knob, she burst through the door and found nothing. Ruby's bed was empty. Completely made up the only thing that lay on it now was the little brown diabetic teddy bear she recieved when she was in hospital. Looking around the room, Charlie made her way over to the wardrobe. Opening it up she found half of Ruby's clothes, were gone. Turning around, she looked at the study desk by the window and propped up against the lamp was an envelope with 'Charlie' sprawled across the front of it. Walking over to the desk, she picked it up and the made her way over to the bed and sat down.

Charlie ran her finger across the writing on the front of the envelope and then flipping it over, she opened it up and pulled out the letter that was inside. Unfolding the page she began to read it,

Charlie,

By the time you read this I'll be long gone. I'm so, so sorry. Although I know this will hurt you, the idea of somebody physically harming you is more than I can bear to think about. And if all it takes to keep you safe is for me to disappear, then so be it.

I never wanted to drag you into this mess, and now that I have, I have to deal with the consequences of my actions. Knowing you, you're probably sitting there preparing to jump into cop mode to find a way to protect me. You always do. And I love you so much for that.

But this is my mess and I need to do what I think is right. I know this will cause you great pain, and for that I am truly sorry But I don't want to lose you. Your the best sister, mother, guardian angel anybody could ever ask for.

When I was little, whenever I had a bad dream, you would always sneak into my room and lay in bed beside me, wrap your arms around me and tell me everything would be alright. Even now, your still there, with your arms open, waiting to wrap me up and tell me everything will be okay.

You've dedicated your whole life to putting me first, my safety, my health, my happiness. Your unconditional love means more to me than anything else in this world and it always will. Please, be safe and learn to love and be happy.

Love Always

Ruby

x x x x

Lowering the letter gripped firmly in her hands, Charlie sat on the bed, her heart breaking as she realised her daughter, the person she cared most for in her life, had run away. Dropping the letter to the floor, she climbed onto the bed. Looking at the bedside table, she picked up the picture frame that held a picture of Charlie and Ruby, Charlie was sitting on the couch, her daughter sitting on her lap, both with their arms wrapped around one another. The last picture they had taken, together. Hugging the picture fame close to her chest, Charlie curled up in a ball and cried, wondering if she would ever stop.

Across town in a run down old bookies, Ruby stood in a dimly lit room, staring at the three men standing before her. Hot tears slowly building in her eyes. Although every bone in her body was screaming for her to be brave, her heart beat out of her chest as she realised that this could be the moment her world goes black. For good. As she gripped the bracelet Charlie gave her, a tear slid down her cheek as she wondered how her mother would cope without her in her life.

The leader of the Westwood gang stood from his chair and looked his victim in the eye. Walking over to an old broken mirror, he picked up a rather large piece of glass, running his finger along the edge to test the sharpness. As he turned around, he saw Ruby flinch and lower her head. Moving closer to her, he placed the glass under her chin and raised her head so she was looking him in the eye. He had threatened her mother's life, beat her and spent the last hour trying to break her down. But now, he knew he only had one last card up his sleeve to play. And for the sake of his own sick amusement, he was finally going to play the ace. Leaning into her he looked her right in the eye.

"You've got a choice to make darling. Now somebody has to go here. And since I know you told your dear old mum about my little antics, then that means, its either you, or her" he said, his voice growing angry as he spoke.

He grabbed a hold of Ruby's hand and placed the blade of glass in her hand and closed her hand back over.

"But I'm not one for tearing a family apart. So I'm gonna let you decide", he said. A sick grin spreading across his face.

With that, he turned on his heel and followed by the rest of his men, left the room, heading for the front of the building. Leaving Ruby alone in the dark, dank unused office. Looking down at the glass in her hand, Ruby began to cry uncontrollably. Without so much as a second thought, she knew exactly what she had to do. Over on the table, she found a wooden object and wiped it down. Placing it in her mouth, she bit down on it. Lifting the blade of glass, she put it to the inside of her wrist, taking a three big deep breaths, Ruby dug the glass down into her wrist. Tearing the flesh as her screams were quitened as she bit down harder on the object in her mouth.

Then switching the blade into her other hand, she shakily placed the glass to the inside of her other wrist, and after a few seconds hesitation, she repeated the act of cutting her wrist, and didn't stop until she was sure the wound would allow her to bleed out. But the pain too unbearable, she spit out the wooden object and her screams filled the room. Her tears fell as she held her wrists out in front of her and watched the blood flow as it covered her arms.

From behind her back, she pulled out a picture from her back pocket. It was a picture of her and Charlie, the same one she had in her room. Looking at the smiles on both there faces. Then her head started to spin, and she felt light on her feet. Falling against the wall behind her, she slid down along it until she hit the floor. Holding up the picture with her bloodied, shaking hand, she kissed it and then, everything went black..........

Sitting against her desk in her office in Yabbie Creek Police Station, Charlie stared off into the distance, her mind firmly stuck on Ruby. She was worried sick, and as much as she wanted to just jump in her car and drive until she found her, another part of her was telling her that maybe she would be safer if she staeyed away until the Westwood Gang was behind bars. But she couldn't silence the voice in her head that was screaming for her to find Ruby and bring her home so that she could protect her.

That's all she wanted, was to find her daughter and hold her in her arms. To see the smiling face she had known for sixteen years and to put the entire mess behind them. Remembering the night before, when Ruby called her Charlie, she should have known at that moment her daughter was pulling away. She hadn't called her by her name in months. Just then a knock sounded at the door and Constable Avery entered with a civilian behind him.

"Senior", he said, snapping Charlie out of her thoughts.

Looking up at Avery, she noticed a woman behind him and then she looked back at her colleague in confusion.

"Mrs. James, this is Senior Detective Charlie Buckton, would you mind telling her what you just told me", he said looking down at the elderly woman.

The woman nodded and then looked at Charlie who was still wondering what was going on.

"I heard you were after that Westwood mob for the murder of that poor young man the other day", she said. "Well I thought you should know, there's an old run down bookies across town. My nephew and works nearby. The Westwood gang hang around there most days, I thought you might want to know in case you were wondering where to start", she finished.

Charlie stood up straight and picked up the phone on her desk. She made a quick call to the city and informed them of the location of the old bookies and the agreed that it would be best if they headed down there as soon as possible. Putting the phone back down, she walked up to the woman and thanked her telling them what she knew and then bounded out into the reception area.

"Alright I need all available officers geared up, there's been a tip off that the Westwood Gang have a local hangout. If we're to catch them we need to act fast. Everybody move", she said.

As she walked over to the reception desk to grab one of the walkie talkies Angelo lept up from his desk and walked up to her.

"Charlie. I'll partner you. You look stressed, you need all the help you can get", he said with a hopeful look in his eyes.

Charlie looked at him and then averted her eyes. Glancing over at Constable Avery.

"Avery, your with me", she said, and with that she walked out of the station and headed for the nearest squad car.

As they raced across town, Charlie couldn't help but feel a sense of relief. She knew that if the Westwood Gang were caught, wherever Ruby was, when she saw that, she would return home to her. That's all she wanted. She didn't care about the case, she didn't care about the job or the praise she would get for a job well done. She just wanted to hold her daughter. Then there was a part of her that wanted to kill every single one of them for what they had done to Ruby.

Just as she was about to get lost in her own thoughts, Avery pulled the car up behind the others, across from the old bookies. Stepping out of the car, Charlie and Avery pulled on their bullet proof vests and joined the other officers. The gang car was parked outside. A good sign that they were there. Then without warning, one of the officers kicked down the door and the others followed him in. Charlie, Watson and Avery in hot pursuit.

Before they could say anything or do anything, the officers had the gang members face down on the floor. All handcuffed and frisked for weapons. Charlie stood and watched them all as one by one they were dragged out of the building.

"CHARLIE!!!", Watson shouted from the back of the building.

Charlie looked back startled and without a seconds hesitation, she ran straight for the back office, brushing past every officer in her way. Stopping at the door she spotted Watson behind the desk and noticed she was bent down over a lifeless body. Charlie called for and ambulance over her walkie-talkie and then walked into the room. As she walked around the desk her heart dropped.

"Oh my God!!" she screamed.

Running around to the other side of were Watson was crouched and crashed to her knees, picking up her daughters lifeless body and pulling it into her embrace. She lifted Ruby's bloody arms and looked at the deep cuts on her wrists. The tears streaming down her face when she realised what Ruby had done. She grabbed both Ruby's arms and pulled them close to her, the blood soaking into her shirt. Looking down she noticed something in Rubys hand and pulled it out. Opening up the crumpled up object she looked at the picture and finally broke down.

Cradling Ruby in her arms, she looked up and found Avery standing at the door looking down in shock.

"The eh......the Westwoods claim they had nothing to do with it", he said, the sight of all the blood making him nauseous.

Charlie looked down at her pale lifeless daughter. She raised her head and let out a painful cry as she realised that Ruby's wounds were self inflicted. Because she wanted to protect her mother. Leaning her head against her daughters, she kissed her daughter and held her tight. Waiting for the emergency services to arrive and save Ruby's life.

From the doorway, Watson and Avery stood watching over the mother and daughter, they felt for their boss and they felt really bad for Ruby. They had gotten to know her over the last two years and seeing her in such a terrible way hurt them almost as if they were family. They really liked her. She was a good kid. Just then Angelo appeared at the doorway. He was about to run in and embrace Charlie, but Watson stood in his way.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?", she said scowling at him.

"I want to wait with Charlie", he said trying to push his way through.

Just as he was making head way Charlie looked up and spotted Angelo. All she could feel was anger looking at him.

"Get out", she said, then as if going into meltdown she began to scream when he refused to leave, "Get out, get out, GET OUT!!", she roared.

Then with Avery grabbing him by the arm, he left. Realising that it was time to let go of Charlie.

Charlie watched as Avery led Angelo out of the room and out of the building. Then turning back, she looked down at Ruby and planted a kiss on he forehead, rocking her as she held her in her arms. Looking down at Ruby's wrists she placed a hand over them and kept a firm grip. The blood still flowing. The paramedic burst through the door and placed the trolley bed by the desk. Avery walked up behind Charlie and tried to release her grasp of Ruby. But Charlie just clung tighter, until the paramedics stepped in and removed Ruby from her embrace. Leaning back into Avery, Charlie cried as she watched the paramedics pad her daughters wrists to stop the bleeding.

Looking at her own hands Charlie saw the blood on her hands and she could feel herself heaving at the sight of it. She swore the night Ruby was shot she would never allow another drop of her blood to be shed again. At that moment she realised she had failed. As the paramedics placed Ruby on the bed trolley and raised it back up, Charlie leaned forward and planted a kiss on Ruby's forehead and then grabbed a hold of one of her hands, walking along side the bed and out to the ambulance. Avery and Watson watched on as the ambulance sped off.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To any reader fed up with Ruby being messed about like this I'm very sorry. But my next few chapters are going to focus mainly on Charlie and I needed a way to get Ruby out of the picture for a while. So please, be kind. I promise good things will come Ruby's way soon. Thanks for reading and please review!!

Archived