A Mother's Treasure Is Her Daughter

Guest lollypop

Chapter 41

"Senior...Senior, hello?", Watson said as she stood in the doorway to Charlie's office.

She'd been trying to get Charlie's attention for the past five minutes but her boss seemed lost in her own little world. Failing to notice her collegue. Watson finally gave up, she didn't want to push Charlie because she knew she was having a difficult time in her personal life. But she also didn't know how long workplace could sustain itself with a boss who's mind was clearly not on the job. It was a tough situation but change needed to be made. Walking back to her desk Watson put the files on the desk and attached a not to them to remind her to give them to her boss when she snapped back into reality.

Back in the office, Charlie remained transfixed in her own little universe, remembering the night before. She had stayed up late again flicking through the rest of the photo album and reminscing on fond memories of Ruby growing up. It may have seemed stuip of pathetic to other people but it gave Charlie a sense of comfort. One of the pictures was a picture taken when Ruby was fourteen at a piano recitital. She could still remember the sense of pride watching her daughter on stage as she showed off the result of all her hard work and hours upon hours of practice.

It was like Ruby was born to play piano. It seemed so natural to her, like a gift from God. But after Charlie's mother died, Ruby stopped playing. The house that was once filled with music was suddenly nothing more than a silent shell inhibited by a broken family trying to repair itself. In time, it did heal, even through the many hurdles they had faced over the past two years. But the music never returned. Thinking back Charlie regretted not encouraging Ruby to pick it back up. She had such a talent for it.

Outside the phone rang and Avery answered it.

"Yabbie Creek Police Station, how can we help you?", he asked in his offical tone of voice.

"This is Dr. Petersen, I'm looking for Senior Detective Charlie Buckton?", she asked, hopeful to hear that Charlie was working.

"Okay, could you please hold while I put you through", he said as he placed the phone down on the counter.

Walking around the desk he made his way to the main office and knocked on the door. Opening it up he looked at Charlie who was glancing over the same file she'd been looking at an hour ago.

"Senior, call for you on line one. It's a Dr. Petersen", he said.

As if being awoken from a deep sleep, Charlie snapped her head up and looked at Avery. Thanking him for letting her know. Picking up the phone she pressed the number one and hesitated before bringing the phone up to her ear.

"Charlie Buckton speaking", she said down the phone. Waiting for a reply.

"Ms. Buckton, it's Dr. Petersen, I'm calling with regards your daughter Ruby", she said, the three second buzz seemed like forever to Charlie as a lump formed in her throat as she anticipated what was to come of this phone call. "I just wanted to let you know that visitation allowances for Ruby begin tomorrow if you wish to come to the city and see her".

Sitting back in her chair, Charlie tilted her head back and let out a sigh of relief as she realised she would finally get to see her daughter.

"Oh God, yes, of course. I'll be there tomorrow morning", Charlie said a smile spreading across her face as she anticipated the end of the day.

Ariving home that night, Charlie walked into her house with a spring in her step that had been missing. Walking into the kitchen she found containers with Leah's homemade cooking in them and a note attached to the lid.

Thought you could use a homecooked meal. Call if you need anything

Love Leah.

Having spent the last three weeks in a depressed, drunken stuper, Charlie decided it was time she made contact with the outside world and picked up the phone and dialled Leah's number for a girlie chat. After a few dial tones her friend answered, and they spent the next two hours catching up. They talked about Elijah, Vinnie and Charlie talked about he anxiousness about seeing Ruby. She felt stupid for being so scared to see her own daughter. But Leah eased her mind and soon they were saying goodnight. And with that Charlie headed to bed. Patiently waiting for morning.

Sitting in her car outside the treatment facility, Charlie couldn't settle the nervous feeling that was overwhelming her. She hadn't seen her daughter in three weeks. She didn't know how she was or even if she wanted to see her, But that didn't matter, because even if Ruby didn't want to see her mother, Charlie needed to see her daughter. Taking the key out of the ignition, she picked up her handbag off the passenger seat and stepped out of the car.

As she made her way to the building she was passed by other intreatment patients. People who looked normal but bared the burden of carrying around inner demons. In some passersby she saw patients who looked like they were possessed and this unsettled Charlie to no end. How could Ruby be around these people. It seemed wrong. It made her question whether or not she had made the right decision in sending her daughter to this place to be surrounded these other sick people. It made her think of how bad Melody had taken being cooped up in a place like this. She only hoped Ruby would cope better.

Walking up to the reception desk in the main hall of the building, Charlied grabbed the attention of the nurse standing behind it.

"Hey, I'm here to see Ruby Buckton", Charlie said as she watched the nurse type in the name on her keyboard.

"Okay, are you family?", she asked looking at Charlie with a smile.

"Yeah, I'm her mother", Charlie replied, noticing the nurse take a second glance in disbelief. But Charlie wasn't offended. In fact she was used to it. It had become the norm since the revelation.

Just as the nurse was about to speak, she was interrupted by the appearance of Dr. Petersen who noticed Charlie from across the hall.

"Ms. Buckton", the doctor said shaking Charlie's hand.

"Please call me Charlie. How's Ruby?", she asked having waited so long to hear news on her daughter.

Dr. Petersen gestured for Charlie to walk with her as they began to make their way down a long winding corridor.

"She's okay. I know that's probably not quite the entusiastic response you were looking for, but this is a long, ongoing process. It's going to take time", she said as the rounded a corner.

The doctor watched as Charlie nodded her head in acknowledgement of the news. She was disappointed with the answer but she reasoned with herself that it would take a long time for Ruby be fixed. She'd been through so much, she time to heal properly. Looking down the corridor Charlie heard the sound of music creeping up at them the further down the hall they got. Turning to the doctor she asked the only question she wanted to ask in that moment.

"Can I see her?", she asked.

"Of course, just follow the music down to the common area. She's been in there by herself all day playing", the doctor said with a smile.

With that the doctor took off in the opposite direction and disappeared down the corridor. Charlie stood there thinking to herself...."playing, she can't mean what I think she means?"...and then she walked down the corridor, following the music all the way there. Finally arriving at the door she gently pushed it open and gazed around the room to where the music's origin lay. Stunned at what she saw.

Sitting at a grand piano, was her beautiful daughter. Her long wild, wavy hair hanging loose down passed her shoulders. Charlie smiled at the familiar sound ringing throughout the room. A sound she had not heard in years. Tears formed in her eyes as she stood there taking it all in. Listening intently as Ruby played the tune of Somewhere Over The Rainbow. When Ruby finished Charlie wiped away the tear from her eye.

Ruby looked up from the piano and spotted her mother. She had not noticed her enter and was now blushing slightly. Charlie slowly made her way towards her daughter. She was worried. She didn't know if Ruby would be happy to see her after forcing her into this place against her will. Looking down at her daughter ringing her hands, she noticed her wrists were still bandaged. Charlie edged slightly closer to the piano and stopped at a safe distance hoping not to scare Ruby off or cause an argument.

"Rubes....I am so, SO, sorry". she said of her decision to send Ruby to this treatment centre. "I didn't want to hurt or upset you. But I was scared I was going to lose you and I couldn't handle it. I though if....".

Charlie was cut off by Ruby's sudden actions. Her daughter bounded out off of the piano stool and buried herself in her mother's arms. Bursting into tears as she felt the familiar comforting arms wrap around her and hold her tightly. Charlie leaned heragainst Ruby's and kissed the top of it. Tears cascading down her cheeks.

"I love you Rubes. I missed you so much", she said holding onto her daughter tightly.

"I love you too", replied Ruby. Her first words to her mother in three weeks.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

aww loved the ending:)

i am waiting for a scene where someone takes a second glance at charlie when she saysd she is rubys mum in the show:) but their scenes have been few and far between:( but this keeps me going:)

keep it up:)

Chapter 42

Sitting in the room Ruby called home for the last three weeks, Charlie looked around at the bare white walls. There was nothing to the room, there was a bed, a wardrobe and a beside locker and the was it. There was an ensuite attached, but no mirror. In fact anything that could be seen to be a cutting device was absent from the room. Even the light lightbulb in the room was cover over with a hard plastic covering that was screwed into the ceiling. There was nothing present that could cause bodily harm. It made Charlie feel uneasy that the doctors felt it was necessary for Ruby's safety.

Looking over at the bed, she saw her daughter sitting against the headboard, Her knees up under her chin and her arms wrapped tightly around them. She looked so scared and lost. Like a child who had lost their way in the crowd. Only she wasn't the only one feeling lost. Charlie had felt so desperatly lonely without her daughter around. However, her loneliness was self inflicted, she chose to shut herself off from everyone. But she couldn't help it. She felt guilty for sending Ruby away.

It reminded her of when Ruby was sent away to boarding school after Elsie had died. Even though Charlie was against the idea, she didn't fight hard enough to change her fathers mind. She felt she didn't have control over the matter. But she did have a say this time around and she chose to send Ruby here. And the decision weighed heavily on her mind even now. Especially when she looked at Ruby. Regardless of the fact her daughter was now a young woman, during times like this, all Charlie could see was the little five year old girl who used shower Charlie with hugs and kisses.

Walking over to the bed, she placed her handbag on the the locker beside it and the sat down on the bed next to with her hands, she looked up and saw fresh tears forming in her daughter's eyes. Charlie put out her hand to Ruby, offering her comfort but not forcing it in case it unerved her daughter. Noticing the gesture and seeing the look of compassion on her mother's face Ruby gladly took a hold of it and felt Charlie squeeze it tightly. Feeling strange with the gap between them, Ruby dragged herself over to Charlie and wrapped her arms around her neck. Holding on tightly.

Something Ruby always did when she wanted to be comforted, and without fail, Charlie was right in the moment holding her daughter close to her, stroking her hair and kissing her on the temple. Ruby cried against her mother's shoulder as she felt her Charlie's hand stroking her back. It made her think back to when she was little and how Charlie would hold her when she was upset.......

Waking in the middle of the night, Charlie heard the high pitched cries coming from down the hall. Rubbing her eyes to wake herself she realised what it was. Jumping out of bed she grabbed her night gown and threw it on as quickly as possible and bounded out the door and down the corridor. She stopped outside a room that had a childlike drawing stuck to the door. Gently opening it, she stepped into the room and flicked on the bedside lamp.

Looking down at the little girl sitting up in bed, she saw the tears rolling down her cheeks. Walking over to the bed she saw the little girl look up at her with cute little puppy dog eyes, her long wavy hair all over the place. She looked adorable. The little girl reached up and wrapped her arms around Charlie's neck, holding on tightly. Feeling the grip around her neck, Charlie wrapped her ams around the little girl and lifted her up into her embrace.

Swaying from side to side to calm the girl, she felt her drift off to sleep in her arms, still holding onto her. Moving towards the bed, she pulled back the blanket and climbed into the bed, still holding the little girl in her amrs. Stretching out her legs she pulled the blanket up over herself and the young girl and cuddled her tightly, stroking her hair and placing kisses on the little girls head. After a while, she too faded off to sleep, her arms wrapped tightly around the precious little bundle of joy that made her smile everday.......

"I missed this", Ruby spoke softly, her head now resting against her mother's chest.

Charlie smiled down at her daughter's words and placed a kiss on top of her head. It had been so long since she had been able to hold Ruby in her arms like this, she never wanted to let go. She ran her fingers through her daughter's hair, the silky smooth feeling so soft to the touch. If Charlie had her way, she would gladly stay locked in this room with Ruby. Away from all the drama and heartache. Safe from all the dangers of the outside world.

"Me too", Charlie replied.

A knock at the door interrupted them and they both turned to find Dr. Petersen smiling in at the sight before her. She entered when Ruby answered her. Walking up to the bed she placed her charts down and turned back to the two Buckton women. In her hand she held a small black kit.

"Ruby, it's time to check your levels", she said with an upbeat tone to her voice.

Ruby sat upright in the bed, pulling her legs under her. Charlie looked from Ruby, to the kit, to the doctor and noticed that her daughter wasn't doing it herself.

"I'm sorry, can't she do it herself?", she asked, a little annoyed her time with her dsaughter had already been interrupted.

"No I'm afraid she can't. It's one of the policies here. A nurse or doctor has to be here to supervise at all times. Especially with patients of self harm", she finished.

Charlie looked away from Dr. Petersen to Ruby and noticed her daughter was blushing and looked embaressed as she lowered her head to avoid her mother's gaze. Dr. Petersen carried on removing the equipment from the kit, not noticing the tension in the room. Feeling Ruby's discomfort, Charlie stood up and walked over to the doctor and pulled her aside so she could speak to her.

"Would it be possible for me to do Ruby's bloods?", Charlie asked. From the look on the doctors face she knew that by asking she was asking the doctor to break som sort of protocol. But she also knew that if things continued it would just become more awkward. "Look, I know it's probably against protocol, but I'd really like to do it. I just....I want to spend as much time as possible with Ruby", she finished with a pleading look.

Dr. Petersen finally caved in and handed over the equipment to Charlie who gave her a grateful smile. Picking up her charts, the doctor looked down at her timetable and turned back to the two women before she left.

"Oh Ruby, your next councelling session is today at three o' clock", she said with a smile and then looked at Charlie, "You can sit in if you'd like, I mean if Ruby would like you to" she said.

"Yeah....", Ruby said nodding her head.

With that Dr. Petersen left the room and Charlie and Ruby were alone again. Walking around to the side of the bed, Charlie picked up the pen and pricked Ruby's finger, taking the sample and placing the strip in the monitor. Once the levels were recorded she measured out the insulin in the syringe and injected Ruby in the stomach. Tidying away all the contents back into the kit, Charlie placed it on the bedside locker and sat back down on the bed, looking at her daugher's saddened expression she placed a hand on her arm and gave it a gente caress.

"Hey, what's the matter?", she asked, somewhat sensing what it was that could be bothering.

"It's just...it's only really been hitting me lately, you know, the stigma that comes with....this", she said waving her bandaged wrists in front of Charlie.

Watching as Ruby made the hand gestures, Charlie found herself instinctively reaching out and gently taking a hold of her daughter's wrists and kissing each one. She paced her hand on Ruby's shoulder and gave it a rub.

"Hey, this, this does not define who you are, ok. You can be whoever you want ot be, it's up to you. But don't let this be you. It's a part of you, but it is not you!", Charlie said, her words of support and wisdom and flooding out as she tried to console Ruby.

Although Charlie did not consider herself to be an exceptional parent, she did know her daughter and she knew how to comfort her. And that's what she did. Night or day, whenever Ruby needed her or wanted her, she would be there without fail. Seeing Ruby perk up a bit she smiled. and sat back, relaxing herself a little.

"So, how's working with Angelo going?", Ruby asked.

"It's going.....", Charlie said sarcastically.

Ruby rolled her eyes at her mother's response.

"Mum, it's been months. Cna't you forgive him and get back to the way you were?", she asked.

"Rubes, look I know you have this romantic view on relationships but you need to see things from my point of view....", Charlie found herself cut off by Ruby.

"Yeah but what happened that day was an accident....", Charlie stopped her daughter.

"That's not the point Rubes. Angelo knows that you are the most important thing in my life and his actions almost took you away from me. He has never put anybody else first and I can't be with someone like that, I can't be with someone who can't love you and care for you as much as I do. Angelo can't do that so it's time to move on", she said more as a statement than anything else.

Ruby nodded her head understandingly. She flinched a little.

"What time is?", she asked and Charlie told her the time. "We may go, my councelling session starts soon".

"Rubes, if it makes you uncomfortable I don't have to go, I can wait here till you get back", she said not wanting to intrude.

"No it' fine. I want you there. Plus my councellor thinks it would be good for me to let you hear what we talk about in person", Ruby said with a slight confidence.

Charlie nodded. Picking up her handbag and Ruby's kit off the bedside locker she walked over to her daughter and they linked arms walking out of the room and down the corridor. Within a matter of minutes they found themselves outside the councellors room and Ruby knocked before entering. As they walked in, Ruby greeted the man and introduced him to her mother.

"So your Charlie, I've heard great things about you", the man said in a deep voice as he shook Charlie's hand. "I'm Michael. Please take a seat", he said as he pointed to the leather armchair beside the sofa where Ruby sat cross legged.

Charlie made herself comfortable in the chair and watched the the interaction between Ruby and Michael. She seemed so at ease with him and he seemed caring towards her. Like a father. It made Charlie smile.

"Okay Ruby, why don't we pick up where we left off yesterday", he said as he sat down in a chair across from her.

Ruby looked at Charlie and then back to Michael.

"Okay", she said.

"Okay, so your father, your biological father, Grant",..................................................................

Archived