Tom and Pippa vs Michael and Pippa

Guest _chris70_

I grew up during the Pippa and Michael era of the mid nineties and they were always my favourite central characters. They seemed to provide stability and I always liked the rapport in the house. Watching Tom and Pippa episodes recently, it seems to me there was quite a difference in their relationship and in the house, more of a lighter atmosphere.

Obviously having two completely different actors centre stage provides a different angle and I think Roger Oakley played Tom as lighter more comic, whereas Dennis Coard played a more serious, authoritarian character. Obviously the two Pippa's changed too. I think the 2nd being more 'Mumsy', whereas the first was again lighter and more humourous!

What difference would you say are between the couples? Which do you prefer and why?

I like both equally for different reasons. I think Tom could be very firm but extreemly daggy and fun just like a dad, whereas I see Pippa as more a auntie type, she is much softer and there for the kids emotionally but doesn't always stand her ground or be much of an authoritative figure. Michael was quite similar to Tom, but as you said he could be more serious and I think that played well against Debra's Pippa who could also be serious at times but was more the 'mother earth' type, I cant see other kids going to Pippa#1 for help and advice whereas Pippa#2 often seemed to be the one to go too when they needed support, for not just other kids in the Bay but adults too - but then that is all in the writing and nothing to do with the actor. I always think its hard to make a fair comparison because they were both in the show for different lengths of time and there is nothing to say had Vanessa carried on in the role, she wouldn't have done everything Debra's Pippa did and I think the character would have been just as successful. In terms of acting techniques, they both brought something unique to the character and were equally successful at creating a memorable and warm character most would like to know in 'real life'.

Watching the current early years repeats I have been quite surprised by Tom and Pippa. In the pilot episode which I have watched countless times over the years they come across as ideal parents. That's also how I remember Debra's Pippa being. However, in these old episodes there are times when Tom and Pippa come across as being quite cold and clueless. There is one scene where Lynn is crying and Pippa sits on the edge of the bed and says, "Here, have a tissue". With Debra's Pippa it would have been a deep heart-to-heart on the couch with a big hug at the end. As Alexx said, Vanessa could have done everything Debra did if she had stayed around longer. In fact, this is quite true to life, as you would expect for her to become better at parenting as she gained more experience. I think also Pippa was made out to be more "saintly" towards the end because she was one of the longest running characters in the show (at that point) and had lost two husbands. It was only time that could turn her into the Pippa who would be awared the Order of Australia.

It's interesting to speculate whether Pippa would have gone in the same direction if Vanessa had stayed in the role.While an actor can only do or say what it says in the script, how they do or say it can change a character completely.Did Pippa become a more maternal figure because she was written that way or because Debra played it that way and the writers took their cue from her?Also, when you think about it, Tom and Pippa were meant to have been fostering for ten years when the show started so it's not like it's something they were new at and hadn't quite got the hang of yet.I wonder if maybe they were just too young or maybe they'd actually had an easy ride up until then and hadn't had many challenges to overcome:We saw in microcosm in the pilot with Bobby that it seemed that however messed up their charges were, all they really needed was a bit of love and attention.Maybe the problems Pippa had to face in the early days-the loss of Tom, her failure with Dodge, the problems with Carly, Sally coming within a hair's breath of leaving them-made her realise she needed to step up the game somewhat.

There is one scene where Lynn is crying and Pippa sits on the edge of the bed and says, "Here, have a tissue".

Yeah but it did end with a rather consoling hug as she told her that they were her family for as long as she wanted them, I thought that was one of the first classic Pippa Kleenex moments she became famous for, I liked it!

Its interesting to imagine Vanessa as Pippa during the mid 90's and how it would have all come across on screen during the 'golden era' and interacting with Shannon, Jack and Sally as a teenager. I know Debra and Kate played Pip and Sally as having a very close mother/daughter relationship and they had a great on screen chemistry, all those scenes with Pip wiping away Sally's tears even into her late teeange years - I remember the ending to an episode after the whole Tim storyline came to ahead in 1998 and Sally, then aged 18 was sobbing in Pippa's arms as Pip told her 'you never forget your first love, the memories fade, but you never forget'.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived