Home and Away star Todd Lasance pleads guilty to drug charge

Guest Mishyy

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm happy on his behalf that he didn't get a harsher punishment. He's still young, so hopefully he learned something from this, and he'll stay clear of drugs and maybe get a chance to make it in the U.S.

A very stupid thing to do in the first place, but I guess mistakes are part of learning. This one could have had some pretty harsh consequences, though, so hopefully he's grateful and won't make this mistake again.

Another article:

Actor Todd Lasance a dope for taking cocaine

The Daily Telegraph

January 26, 2010 12:00AM

FORMER Home and Away star Todd Lasance escaped a criminal record yesterday but the Hollywood hopeful will still have to convince US officials to let him into America.

The 24-year-old received a stern dressing-down from Chief Magistrate Graeme Henson when he pleaded guilty in the Downing Centre Local Court yesterday to possession of 0.36g of cocaine.

Lasance, who played Aden Jefferies on the soap, was busted with the drug at the Home and Away Christmas party on December 12 last year, court reporter Larissa Cummings writes.

The party was held at Kings Cross nightclub Kit and Kaboodle, and Lasance was celebrating with castmates, having filmed his final episode the day before.

Shortly before quitting the series, he announced plans to move to the US to try his luck in Hollywood.

Police officers noticed Lasance acting suspiciously and followed him into the toilets of the club, where they saw him pacing back and forward in front of the basins, sweating from his forehead.

When questioned, Lasance admitted he had cocaine in his pocket and handed over a small bag of the drug.

Yesterday, his lawyer Chris Ford, said he had "a bright future on the international stage" and a conviction would severely hinder his prospects overseas. "He is a young man who is deserving of another chance," he said.

But Mr Henson said he wasn't interested in what Lasance wanted. "It's all about you, isn't it," he said.

"You're in the entertainment industry, but I don't feel entertained by your conduct."

The magistrate said he was "tempted to make an example" of Lasance and said US immigration controls were not his concern.

Lasance was given a semi-reprieve in the form of a Section 10b bond and ordered to be of good behaviour for 12 months.

This means the offence was proved but Lasance will not have a criminal record if he complies with the bond and does not reoffend within the year.

According to US immigration guidelines, anyone who has been arrested, charged or found guilty of a crime is ineligible for the visa-waiver program currently in place for Australian citizens.

Lasance must apply for a visa to visit the US and be subject to an interview with US officials who will assess the circumstances of his case before deciding whether to let him enter the country.

source: news.com.au

-----------------------

Hopefully, he'll manage to convince the US officials and still get the chance to work in the USA. :)

^ And another. :P Although this one is rather more positive especially on the visa/US issue. Apparently no conviction has been recorded so it wouldn't affect his visa. :unsure: So many contradictory articles. Here's hoping this is a second chance & he gets the opportuniuty to fulfill his dreams in LA.

Home and Away star Todd Lasance avoids drug conviction for possessing cocaine

242399toddlasance.jpg

HOME and Away star Todd Lasance was given a dressing down by a magistrate today and placed on a good behaviour bond after pleading guilty to drug possession.

But the Channel Seven soap actor avoided a conviction being recorded, which could have hindered his plans to break America.

Magistrate Graeme Henson delivered a heated lecture to Lasance, saying he wasn't interested in the immigration controls, which may have restricted the actor's movement if he had a criminal record.

"It's all about you, all about what Todd Lasance wants,'' Mr Henson said.

"You are in the entertainment industry… I don't feel entertained by your conduct here."

"I'm tempted to make an example of you."

Lasance, who played Aden Jefferies on the long-running Seven soap, was charged with possessing cocaine in December, 2009, following his arrest in a Kings Cross nightclub.

His lawyer Chris Ford told Downing Centre Local Court today his client had no prior convictions and he had only been caught with a small amount of the drug, 0.36 of a gram.

"He's got a bright future on the international stage and a conviction on this charge would hinder that,'' Mr Ford said.

He argued that Lasance had already suffered for the crime through the intense media coverage it attracted.

Lassance was ordered to abide by a 12 month good behaviour bond.

Outside court Mr Ford read a statement on Mr Lasance's behalf expressing his "deep regret" and saying he would now "move on with his life."

"Todd would like me to convey to family and friends and the community at large his deep regret and remorse,'' Mr Ford said.

"Todd would also like to thank his family and friends for their continuing support during a period which has been very difficult."

Source

I thought the exact same thing DinerLandlord :D we watch way too much home and away clearly!

Am very happy with this; as his lawyer said, he DID experience an awful lot of media attention over it; which was punishment enough, I think.

Doubt the good behaviour will be a problem; I wouldn't have thought and fingers crossed he'll get into the US anyway... Wonder if it's affected the agents that signed him relationship though.

Archived