Controversial Home & Away Changing

Guest Mishyy

I'm going to wait to see how it pans out before having a say on the format, but,

"...promises viewers at least two light-hearted moments per episode after admitting the show had strayed from its original formula at times...We're going back to a family show...What I've been agitating for is to have a good belly laugh or at least a nice warm smile each quarter hour in there.''

ALL sound very very promising and some of exactly what I've been wanting too see in the show again for the past 5 years!! :)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems like they are bringing in iconic female characters as heads of Summer Bay House to replace Sally. First Kirsty now

Marilyn.

I am not sure this is working. The dynamics of the house are all over the place as it is. I would prefer her to live with Irene.

I agree. Why would she come to live with Alf and Miles? It just seems completely random. Still, if they do this right I may actually start watching again!!

HOME and Away stalwart Ray Meagher is forecasting a return to the Australian soap's core values in the new year.

Meagher, who has played iconic character Alf Stewart for 22 years, promises viewers at least two light-hearted moments per episode after admitting the show had strayed from its original formula at times.

"We've had too many guns and balaclavas and bank robberies and that sort of thing,'' Meagher said during a break in his hectic UK Christmas pantomime schedule.

"We're going back to a family show.

"We'll still have teenage angst. What I've been agitating for is to have a good belly laugh or at least a nice warm smile each quarter hour in there.''

Meagher said series producer Cameron Welsh was firmly behind the idea, and revealed the return of a female character who moves in with Alf and Miles would be a key ingredient in the comedy recipe.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

News of the changes coincides with a reported disciplinary crackdown by show bosses following a series of off-screen incidents involving young cast members.

While he is keen to inject some light relief into the show, it's not a case of Meagher throwing his weight around the Summer Bay set, even if his longevity on the soap might suggest he should have a licence to do so.

Like Alf Stewart, however, he stands up for what he thinks is right.

"I don't go running up to the writers' department giving them story ideas,'' Meagher said.

"However, I fiercely protect the basic tenets of my character. If they start playing around with my character I say, `hang on, this is what he's like'.

"Alf Stewart wouldn't back down. He would defend what he believes in even if it meant he'd get a beating.''

After initially joining the show for six months, Meagher never believed he would have stayed so long - and he has a contract for another two years.

"At the end of that time we'll see if they're still interested in having me and if I'm upright and can remember half a line,'' Meagher said.

Source

Sounds to me like Ray wasn't exactly too pleased with 2009.

Sounds to me like Ray wasn't exactly too pleased with 2009.

Well that's how I feel as well, so pleased at least one person is on my side!

Sounds like next year is much more promising, I'm looking forward to watching a more lighthearted and entertaining show. I hadn't realised how miserable a lot of the storylines had become until my boyfriend, who suffers through H&A each night even though he hates soaps :lol: asked why on earth I watched something so depressing. Reluctantly, I had to admit he had a point!

Hopefully Ray's comments are the beginning of a return to something a bit more enjoyable!

I think a lot of the production team and whatever must feel that way - at least they seem to be admitting that the year-long mystery hasn't worked. I don't criticise them for trying it, though when I look at what I've been given, I'd admit to thinking it to be rather, mmm.

What they need to avoid is two things. Home and Away is not a sitcom and whilst I should laugh when it's funny, it shouldn't be constant. There is a few episodes from the Early Years recently that are not a barrel of laughs, usually when Lance and Martin are absent, but there's some pretty dark stuff in the stories. We've just seen a rape storyline

The difference however is that they are deep parts of the storyline, it crops up at various parts. Joey was raped this year and it appeared mainly to be a means to get Joey and Charlie together. I've never raped anyone, nor been raped myself, so I don't want to say whether it's accurate or not. There just seems to have been some pretty bad attempts at in recent years in my eyes. I thought Dani's ordeal through 2001 and 2002 was pretty good. Whether it's particularly realistic to rape, I'm not sure, but to an outsider it appeared real and made good TV. In the past few years it seems to have been just a footnote in larger storylines.

The second is that in trying to tone it down they don't make it boring. And that is really the top point. We want deaths, rapes, STD's, cancer; just well crafted and meaningful storylines.

I agree, I dont think having funny storylines only, is how it should be, like Ryan said, it isn't a sitcom, its just 'lighter moments' again mixed with the heavier stuff - just scenes to make you smile again and feel 'warm' and poignant slants on more serious storylines, that is what Home and Away used to do all the time - Dani was raped and it was a dark storyline, yet there were those nice warm character driven moments and there were uplifting subplots going on alongside it - same with Carly.

Hopefully that is what they are going to be bringing back, just the more uplifting/poignant and positive scenes to balance things out.

I'm all for this if it happens.I haven't felt any real passsion for the show since '04 it's been so rediculous.I continue watching out of loyalty.I agree that it's not a sitcom though so hopefully we get a good balance of comedy and drama.

Archived