V - Mini Series

Guest Lise

Ok, so the pilot for this aired in NZ last night and I thought it was really good. I'm not sure if it's airing in Australia or the UK, yet.

From Wiki:

V is an American science fiction television series first broadcast on ABC on November 3, 2009. A re-imagining of the 1983 miniseries created by Kenneth Johnson, the new series chronicles the arrival on Earth of a technologically advanced alien species who ostensibly come in peace, but actually have sinister motives. V stars Morena Baccarin, Morris Chestnut, Joel Gretsch, Elizabeth Mitchell, and Scott Wolf, and is executive produced by Scott Rosenbaum, Scott Peters, and Jace Hall.

Did anyone else see it? What did you think of it?

I did hear somewhere that they were remaking V. TBH I haven’t seen any of the new episodes but I was a massive fan of the originals. Those first five episodes – “V the mini series” and “V the final the battle” that is - were the best ones of the lot. The TV series was pretty good to. Considering that it was originally broadcasted in 1983 the special effects were great and the budget must have been quite big. I remember first watching them when I was in primary school. I’ve got them all on DVD but haven’t had a chance to watch them again yet.

Hopefully it won’t be too long before they show the new series in the UK. I wonder if it will be a complete remake or whether it will have some connection to the original.

I still remember some of the main characters – Diana, Donovan, Tyler, Julie, Elizabeth, Robin, Kyle, Lydia - The good old days.

Well, it sounds like they've changed the character names then. :P

They've played 4 episodes in the US, so far which I think they played as 2 episodes here over two hours each time. There are 12 episodes altogether and if it rates well they might give it a second season.

The last hour (episode four) was probably the best of the lot so I can't wait to see the rest.

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I’ve watched the first 6 episodes on Channel One and I quite like this. It’s different to the original. It seems slower with less action but there’s more of an overall plotline. There are obviously similarities but quite a few differences. One thing I really don’t like is how the Visitors seem to show very little emotion. I know they aren’t humans but it just makes it hard to differentiate and identify with some of the characters. One of the things I liked about the original V was how Diana came across and I really liked at times when she had the evil smug expression on her face whenever thing were going her way. Anna is supposed to be the main leader of the Visitors but I think she’s one of the least interesting characters in it. I even prefer Marcus to her. The only person I really like out of the Visitors is Ryan simply because he has genuine emotion.

Having watched it thus far the main characters equate to their 1983 counterparts as follows:

Erica = Julie

Jack = Donovan

Anna = Diana

Tyler = Shaun

Hobbes = Ham Tyler

Joshua = Martin/Philip

(I’m undecided about Ryan, Lisa and Marcus)

Anyway I’m looking forward to seeing what happens in the remainder of the season.

• 3 weeks later...

Having watched it thus far the main characters equate to their 1983 counterparts as follows:

Erica = Julie

Jack = Donovan

Anna = Diana

Tyler = Shaun

Hobbes = Ham Tyler

Joshua = Martin/Philip

(I’m undecided about Ryan, Lisa and Marcus)

Anyway I’m looking forward to seeing what happens in the remainder of the season.

Tyler is more likely a mix of Daniel and Robin, which would make Lisa a female version of Brian. Ryan fits best with Willie. For Marcus, I'd guess John even though his and Anna's roles are reverseed. Aside from them, Chad would be a male version of Kristine, although I don't know if he'll follow the same path as the original.

The show continues to have a lot of writing problems, but there's one thing that keeps me coming back: unlike the original, there are plenty of characters whose allegiances are up in the air: Hobbes, Chad, Lisa, Marcus and arguably Tyler. In the original pretty much everyone could be boxed into Resistance, Fifth Column, Visitors and Collaborators. Definitely a step up in my opinion.

Archived