Summer Bay's Shock

Guest Scotcaz22

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chapter Twenty-Nine

"Miles!" Roman panicked when he saw blood everywhere on his best friend and lover. He shook his shoulders but Miles didn't wake up.

Roman groaned as he tried to get the door open but it was stuck; it refused to open and Roman banged his hand against the door in frustration and yelled in pain. He turned to Miles and stared at him, confused and panicked.

Roman has never felt like this before. In his SAS days, he was always calm and cool. He knew what to do in situations...hell...he has been in this situation before and he managed to keep calm and got him and his buddies out.

But...this...felt different. Roman didn't understand it; he felt panic building up in him and he wanted to kick out; wanted to smash the window through so that he could get Miles out, but at the same time, there was some inkling at the back of his mind telling him that it was not a good idea to move Miles.

Slowly, it dawned on him - this was personal. This was someone he loved very much; someone he wanted to get old with. Roman leaned in and rested his forehead on Miles's and whispered very quietly, with a tremble. "You can't die, you get me?" He hoped for a response but of course there weren't any from Miles.

Taking a deep breath, Roman began to work to try to get out so that he could get help for Miles, to try to go to the main road and stop someone.

Eventually, Roman got out and staggered to the main road.

All of sudden, he saw blue lights flashing; medics looking him over; him fighting with them and trying to get to Miles when suddenly he passed out.

The next time he opened his eyes, it was in hospital and Rachel was looking over him. He asked about Miles and demanded to be taken to him.

At first, Rachel refused, telling Roman that he needed to stay in bed and rest but Roman wasn't having any of it and he really stood his ground with Rachel and the rest of the team and finally, they let him go to Miles.

Rachel warned him that Miles was in a coma and that he might not wake up. Even if he did wake up, there might be serious injures; that he might end up in a wheelchair; that he had to re-learn everything again. But Roman didn't care about all that. He just wanted Miles to wake up; he wanted him alive and well. He didn't care about the rest of it; he knew that no matter what, Roman would be there for Miles and to take care of him. He loved him very much.

Roman was wheeled into Miles's room and sat next to him all day and night, waiting for him to wake up. Many people came and went - Leah, Irene, Aden, Charlie, Angelo but he didn't hear them or even talk to them.

Roman's eyes was all on Miles, talking to him and encouraging him to wake up. He told him that he loved him and told him that if it ever becomes legal, he would marry him in a flash.

Still, Miles didn't wake up....

Roman heard the door opening and closing and sighed heavily. He didn't look up to see who it was. He just wanted for him and Miles to disappear from the world.

"Dad?" Nicole quietly asked and Roman slowly looked up to see Nicole and was shcoked to see her eyes puffed and red. There were mascara steaking down her cheeks. He knew that he should go to her and give her a hug but he couldn't be bothered. He just wanted to stay at Miles's side.

Nicole gasped when she saw Miles lying in bed, wired up to machines. When she got a phone call from the police, saying that there was an accident, she panicked and thought that Roman has been seriously injured...or worse...died but she was relived when she heard that her dad was okay.

But...this...was not what she expected...not what she wanted. Nicole closed her eyes and opened them again to see Roman staring at her. Nicole was shocked to see Roman looking miserable, unshaven, and he smelt badly. She knew, from Rahcel and others that Roman haven't been home yet or even allowed anyone to take a proper look at him.

Nicole slowly went around to Roman and put a hand on his shoulder. "You should let the doctor take a look at you, Dad," Roman looked up and shook his head frantically. "I have to stay in case he wakes up."

Nicole sighed heavily. "Dad, you have to go home and have a shower, get yourself cleaned up. I don't think Miles would want to wake up to this state."

Roman closed his eyes; he knew that it might be best for him to go home but he couldn't get the fight they had out of his mind...he kept going over it again and again.

"Where were you last night?" Miles asked him. Roman didn't understand the question. He was puzzled and stared at Miles. "You know where I was..."

"Oh please don't lie to me! I called to tell you about my first day at school and Nicole told me that you were out!"

Roman didn't understand why Miles was asking him. He was at home with Nicole....wait....there was something...what was it....damn-it...come on...wait...

The phone rang...he was in the kitchen...he remembered asking Nicole to answer the phone call....

"Oh, just a wrong number."

Slowly, it dawned on him...Miles did call but Nicole answered it. She told him that it was a wrong number...but why? Suddenly it was like a light went on in his mind. Nicole was trying to break them up.

Roman turned to Nicole with fury and stared at her. Slowly he said, "We had an argument just before the car went off the road."

Nicole's eyes widened and went pale at the change of the subject. She tried to stop Roman from telling her but it was too late. She knew what was coming.

"It was you, was it? He told that he has called home last night, but you answered it and told him I was out, did you?" Roman whispered very quiet with ice in his voice.

Nicole gasped; she wanted to make sure that Roman and Miles broke up but...she didn't mean it for this to happen. Suddenly she saw Roman in a new light and realised that Roman must have loved Miles very much. She groaned and felt guilty. Suddenly, Nicole wished that she could turn the clock back but it was too late.

"I...I am sorry...I didn't mean..." Nicole tried to apologise but Roman just shook his head sadly and took Miles's hand with his hand and looked down to him, without looking back at Nicole.

"Get out, and don't come back," Roman said.

Nicole gasped, tears streaking down her cheeks. Quietly, she said, "I'm sorry." and then she walked out.

• 1 month later...

Chapter Thirty

At the beach

Nicole sat on the beach, knees up to her chin and she was sobbing. She couldn't believe that her plan to try to break Miles and Roman up has backfired on her. Nicole knew that she was being selfish. Roman assured her that he won't leave her out of his life, but after what happened to her mum and that creep, she was finding it difficult to trust anyone again.

A shadow came over her and Nicole dried her eyes as she looked up to see Geoff looking down, looking concerned.

"You okay?" Geoff asked. Nicole made a small shrug and Geoff sat down next to her. "I heard about Miles. How's Roman doing?"

Nicole burst into tears again and Geoff put his arms around Nicole. "What's wrong? What happened?"

"I...I...was stupid! I shouldn't have not brought you into my plan to break Dad and Miles up! It was stupid of me. It's my fault that Miles ended up in hospital!"

"Shush...it's not your fault," Geoff tried to comfort the poor girl. "I don't understand why you had the plan to break them up, but what happened to Miles was not your fault."

"You don't understand!" Nicole pulled away from Geoff and looked at him. "They argued about Miles's phone call to Roman and I took the call and lied to Miles that Dad wasn't home. They argued when the accident happened!"

Geoff looked shocked at the revelation and went to take Nicole in a embrace, when Nicole suddenly got up and turned to Geoff. "Now you see why it was my fault!" She yelled and then ran off, before Geoff could say anything, and got up to run after her.

At the hospital

Roman was at the bed, holding one of Miles's hands, and begging for Miles to wake up in a quiet tone, when Leah came in. He heard a gasp and looked up and saw Sally behind Leah.

"Oh my god," Sally ran past Leah to the bed and stared at Miles, then to Roman and asked what happened.

Roman sighed heavily. "We had an argument when the other car was going for us and I drove off the road to try to avoid it but we went off into a ditch..." Then Roman put his face in his hands. Leah and Sally could hear the quiet sobbing coming from Roman and Leah moved close and put a smoothing hand on Roman's back.

"I'm sure it all will be okay," Leah whispered as Sally sat down and held the other hand and didn't say anything to Roman...not yet. She felt anger when she heard that her brother and Roman were arguing when the accident happened. She had a suspicion about the reason why behind the argument - it must have been about the phone call.

Suddenly, the machines bleeped and everyone got up and looked at Miles, wondering what has just happened as Rachel and the nurse rushed in.

"Get back," Rachel shouted as she went to examine Miles who has just opened his eyes and was looking confused.

Archived