Kate Ritchie returning to acting in 2010?

Guest Neely75

This has been confirmed by Kate Ritchie herself in TV WEEK

Heres a piece of an article that is in TV WEEK

In good news for fans of her beloved character Sally Fletcher the two-time Gold Logie winner is planning to remain in Australia and hasn't ruled out a return to the show that made her a household name.

"Well, I don't know," she says coyly. "I haven't had a phone call from the producer as yet, but I guess like any Home And Away character who wasn't killed off, there's a chance that Sally's going to get homesick and come home for a bit of a visit. She can't stay away from Mr Stewart (Alf played by Ray Meagher) for too long!" Fingers crossed, everybody!

I guess this is more a news article than a spoiler (seeing as how Kate is saying she'd never rule out returning as opposed to saying she is returning) , but I'll give my opinion on it anyway in that I hope that Sally doesn't return for a while. Apart from me finding Sally a slightly boring character, I feel the show almost needs to learn to stand on it's own feet without the originals.

I guess this is more a news article than a spoiler (seeing as how Kate is saying she'd never rule out returning as opposed to saying she is returning) , but I'll give my opinion on it anyway in that I hope that Sally doesn't return for a while. Apart from me finding Sally a slightly boring character, I feel the show almost needs to learn to stand on it's own feet without the originals.

I think Sally made the show and I hope she does come back. I think the past 18 months has shown the show cant stand on its own feet without her. The ratings have been drastically down, storylines dire and lacks that core character. I know not everyone will agree with that but to me, Sally WAS H&A and I just dont have the same passion for it anymore.

I actually think the second half of the year, minus what is papporting to be the year long mystery storyline has actually been a large improvement on the first half. Of course there's a few things that have been slightly iffy, but if there is any problems I believe it comes from those who write and produce the show, as opposed to lack of one character.

I think Sally was a terribly important character to the overall direction of the show, she was always given very traditional Home and Away storylines in terms of character development and she was a consistent personality.

But remember pre-2004 she was pretty much a background character given the odd storyline here and there but it wasnt anything major and remember the 'golden era' of Home and Away? - Sally was hardly ever doing anything and the writers seemed to just carry on writing for her as if she was a child actor (in terms of screen time), which was a crime, yet the show was at its peak, so I do not think Sally IS Home and Away personally, she played a huge part, especially in the last few years and I miss the character but I dont think she has anything to do with the reason the show might not be as good as it once was. It doesnt feel like the writers pay enough attention to the quality of writing of characters in general as they did pre 2005 Imo

To me, even after she left I thought all the Ross/Morag and Aden and the hostage saga was brilliantly written and they did seem to pay attention to follow threw. But currently the show seems to have lost its memento and doesn't really seem to have much of focus since the Fletcher era came to a close - I think Bevan Lee brought in Miles so as to carry on that spirit, but the current writers didn't do it justice at all, and to be honest, Miles isn't Sally, and it isn't a passion of his to foster

I would love for Sally to come back, but I still think the writers have got to sort out the overall direction the show takes and having Sally back may or may not help with that - when I think about 2005-2007, most of the storylines that stand out to me as being well written, involved Sally simply because of the way they were written i.e they always had decent follow threw and were in keeping with the character even when the show was very plot orientated. Yet I still found the show to be at its worst for most of 2006-2007 at least and my favorite 'Home and Away' was a time Sally wasn't all that prominent.

Having said all of that, the show does seem to be improving, especially the last couple of weeks or so and I'm looking forward to a number of things for next year!

Archived