1988 Episode Discussion

Dan F

To me the last few weeks wind down very naturally though and it wasn't as if nothing happened at all. I also enjoyed the light relief and focus on Lance and Martin in the last few episodes; they are by far up there as my favorite characters.

I cant believe that is a whole season we've just watched! It seems to have zoomed by!

• 1 year later...

I just watched Episode 51 again and Donald said he became a teacher in 1963 :o

I know that Fisher is supposed to be younger than the actor who was playing him, but it's can be that only a few years later, that the writers decided so. So it means that Fisher was 25 when he started teaching so it's normal.

• 2 months later...

I just watched Episode 51 again and Donald said he became a teacher in 1963 :o

I know that Fisher is supposed to be younger than the actor who was playing him, but it's can be that only a few years later, that the writers decided so. So it means that Fisher was 25 when he started teaching so it's normal.

I am trying to find out any more refs to Fishers age other than his 50th in 1995, however I dont think there was any. If he was 50 in early 1995 he was born in early 1945 (just before the end of the war) so started teaching in 1963 when he was 18 which is the age you could start teaching. He must have left school at 15 then began teaching at 18 in 1963. Fisher said in 1994 that he had been teaching for 30 years and he would have been 49 by then and that ties in with his 1963 date he gave for teaching.

In 2015 Don and Alf will both turn 70.

• 3 months later...

I just finished watching all of the 1988 episodes on YouTube. I've been doing a marathon of episodes lately and frankly I must say, the show is very enjoyable to watch. Here's my review:

How did I find Home and Away in 1988?
Brilliant, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It had a relatively slow start, but after Roo fell pregnant to Martha, the show became very exciting and we never looked back. I'd give it 9 out of 10.

Who are my favourite characters on the show in 1988?

In no particular order: Martin Dibble, Lance Smart, Bobby Simpson, Alf Stewart, Pippa Fletcher, Steven Matheson, Alisa Stewart, Donald Fisher and Floss McPhee

Who are my most hated characters on the show in 1988?
In no particular order: Lynn Davenport and Frank Morgan.

What was my favourite storyline?

The Summer Bay Nutter's reign of terror and the mystery of who the person was.

What was the saddest storyline?
Alan Fisher's death

What was the worst storyline?

Alf and Alisa's unnecessary break-up after Alf brought up her past and she ran off to the city to be with her old friend.

What did I think of Lynn's departure?

While it came around very quickly, I think it was appropriate as Lynn was too old to have storylines with Sally, but she was too young to have storylines with the likes of Carly, Bobby and Roo. Personally, I have never liked her character as she came across as whiny with the way she went about things such as the way she blamed Tom and Pippa for her dog's death after the 'Nutter' poisoned it.

Who were the best guest characters in 1988?

Barbara Stewart, Morag Bellingham, Colleen Smart, Alan Fisher, Phillip Matheson, Stacy Macklin and Narelle Smart.

Who were the best villains in 1988?

Gary Samuels, Sam Barlow, The Summer Bay Nutter (Walter Bertram)

What are you most looking forward to in 1989?

1). Dodge's arrival and his whole reign in Summer Bay.

2). Bobby finding out about her parents.

3). The arrival of Marilyn.

I think initially, the viewers were supposed to hate Fisher, but when we started to see more of his backstory, his character was easier to understand and a lot of people started to like him.

I've just started the 1989 episodes now. I love the fact that Fisher and Bobby have now become quite nice towards each other after Bobby's HSC success.

Archived