1988 Episode Discussion

Dan F

Really sad and emotional episode today. Fisher is just plain selfish and evil. At least at the end of the episode he finally realised how important Alan was and finally gave his own emotional farewell to his son.

It's really awkward seeing Bobby/Alan knowing they are actually brother and sister. Hopefully she moves on from him.

Colleen Smart - LOVE YA! :D:lol:

Morag doesn't seem to age. She looks exactly the same as she does now. She also had a great relationship with Roo, which I think is good.

Overall - good episode!

The funeral episodes are certainly better. I think you could say that Alan's death was the total polar opposite of what the show now. No pointless cliffhangers, perhaps the even more poignant image of the empty to hospital bed.

I do agree about it being a great week however.

I can only agree, absolutely superb character writing! So well plotted too. Special mention goes to the writers of episodes 160-162 - and for example, Barbra's monologue about Alan '...wondering what was on the other side of the tunnel', that really stood out to me becuase that standard of productivity is so missing these days, maybe becuase the show just hasn't been truly character focused, or maybe becuase the producers feel those type of scenes slow the pace of the show down, whatever the reasons, they are unjust - scenes like that are always powerful and should have priority.

Also laughed out loud at some of Lance and MArtin scenes espeically when Lance was mispronouncing hypochondriac. Plus Colleen and Morag's encounter at the store! haha

I actually have yesterdays ep on tape somewhere from the original UK transmission in 1989! :blink:

LOL at Frank's reply to Roo's crass boyfriend comment today. "You didn't lose 'em. You chewed them up and spat them out."

That, my dear, is what's known as a PWN. :wink::lol:

I have to agree with everyone else; that this week has been a fantastic week of episodes. I thought it was incredibly powerful and well-written how Alan and Donald's relationship was so tenuous and as soon as Alan wants to thank his father for something and begin mending bridges he dies. I do think it was a bit of a waste to bring Alan in for only a few months, considering how important Donald ended up being to the series, and I find it slightly annoying that Rebecca doesn't appear for the funeral, however having Morag back is awesome!

Lance has been absolutely hilarious in every scene to do with the anneurism, thinking he's got one :lol: And CAT scans :lol:

Talking of that family, Rebecca still seems slightly ambiguous as to whether or not she actually exists at the moment.

There is no ambiguity at the moment. Rebecca was specifically mentioned when Barbara first appeared on the show. She told Donald that Rebecca's piano lesssons were doing well, or something to that effect.

Archived