1988 Episode Discussion

Dan F

Flaming Alf's marriage is now well and truly BURNT OUT

..........or is it? We'll see the real truth in a few week's time, which will also make you question whether Alf and Alsa "got married" twice (with no celebrant present, at least on-screen).

Wow, what a great week this has been. Alf really blew it today!

I absolutely cannot stand Roo, my goodness what a self centered, conniving, manipulative girl she is.

Every scene she's in I want someone to punch her out. That obviously means she's playing her role well, but it's so painful!

Having not seen 88 for 20 years, it's astonishing what a bitch she is! She is SO different in 89, I'd forgotten just how hateful she was the year before! :lol:

That was one hell of a pwn, Alf. OUCH, but, er, too far. :lol:

These last few episodes have been brilliant...

I couldn't agree more. I said it before but the overall production quality is so spot on, covering writing, acting, direction, pace - I think that's why it works so well when, say you dont see much of certain characters for a while (like the Fletchers) becuase all of the characters are written with equal amounts of care the viewers are left invested in everything that's going on as a whole!! The current show could really do with taking a look at this formula becuase, Imo it just works so well.

Colleen is utilized so brilliantly in these early years, we need to see more of this in the current show - I laughed out loud watching her chase Martin around the store screeching 'I've been lookin' all over for yooouuu'! The way she was written when she returned during 2000 was very similar to the 80's Colleen. The Martin/Lance/Colleen storyline is just great to watch.

Narelle and Stevo's storyline is so silly its an absolute blast, completely lighthearted and innocent, its awesome.

All of these balanced with the much darker plot involving Alf, Ailsa and Roo - which has been played out faultlessly. Its an intense storyline and the writers have obviously put much effort into fitting it in amongst the other sub plots. This storyline is so character driven.

On a side note, you know the mobile home - were the stairs re arranged in the later years? I'm sure when Sally and Lance were talking on them in 2000, the stair case came straight out instead of veering to the left. I haven't got these episodes or clips of this episode to check...anyone know if that clip is available on the net?

One point in particular about the excellence of these episodes at the moment is the Alf & Alsa storyline. Their marriage began burning in Episode 130 when Brett first made Alf the business deal. The fire started as Alsa protested against the Macklin development proposal, on the grounds it would change Summer Bay somehow (not clearly explained) and on environmental grounds.

In the last few episodes, the fire gained strength, and in Episode 150 erupted into a huge inferno, then it exploded after Roo set him and Alsa up with the letter and Alf said he didn't want his daughter ending up with a knife in between the shoulder blades.

[

On a side note, you know the mobile home - were the stairs re arranged in the later years? I'm sure when Sally and Lance were talking on them in 2000, the stair case came straight out instead of veering to the left. I haven't got these episodes or clips of this episode to check...anyone know if that clip is available on the net?

Blimey, I didn't even know they were still using the mobile home in 2000! :huh::lol:

Yes you are right I've noticed this before. There are clips on SBJ. When Marilyn returns around the mid 90s she walks up to Lance's/Colleen's mobile home and laughs (you get the impression there should have been a flashback here) and there are no stairs whatsoever. So they must have removed the stairs for whatever reason when they stopped showing the mobile home after Lance's exit. I think this was the first time it had been shown on screen for years.

In 2000 when Sally talks to Lance on the steps and also in the storyline where Les returns to win Colleen back, the steps have returned but now go straight out instead of sideways.

I thought I was the only one who noticed these peculiar details. :lol:

What I have never been able to determine for sure, is whether the interior set in 2000 for the Colleen/Les storyline is the same one that was used for Lance and Martin in the 80s.

But if we ever do see Colleen's mobile home again in the future, it won't be the same one we know and love, because as Ryan said it was destroyed by Josh West and she got a replacement. Also (as we all know) the real life one was destroyed in the bush fire.

I thought I was the only one who noticed these peculiar details. :lol:

What I have never been able to determine for sure, is whether the interior set in 2000 for the Colleen/Les storyline is the same one that was used for Lance and Martin in the 80s.

Haha yeah I always pick up on these little things... Actually I think the 2000 interior of the mobile home was in fact the real location interior. I definitely know it wasn't a studio set that's for sure.

Archived