1988 Episode Discussion

Dan F

How come Alf doesn't have the "gut instincts" Alsa has, that the Macklins are doing dodgy deals? Is that because Alf is a male and Alsa is a female??

There is a right way and a wrong way, of putting forward her opinions. Alsa is going about it the wrong way, by being stroppy, being rude, uncooperative, and generally nasty, instead of being nice about it and explaining her case to Alf properly. They should both agree amicably to disagree. Unfortunately from what it seems to me, the script producers/writers make it look like because Alf is MALE, he is automatically in the wrong. The supporters of the Macklin Development seem to be predominately male while the opposition is largely female. I could be wrong, could you correct me?

Ailsa's intuition has very little to do with her gender, it's the nature of her character. As is in Alf's character to be very blindsided when it comes to some things, such as Roo. And if that's a little too "stereotypical" for you then all you have to do is look at the reversal of the situation with Alan, Barbara and Fisher. Fisher (THE MALE :rolleyes:) was in tune to Alan with his "gut instinct" where as Barbara was the opposite.

I don't think Ailsa's been "stroppy, rude, uncooperative, and generally nasty" at all. She could have stayed for the party and made a huge fuss but she didn't, she left while Alf practically demanded that she stay and do as he said. I've missed two episodes sometime last week but what I saw was her telling Alf what she thought more than fairly and then Brett riling up Alf. Telling him it was HIS house and he should able to make decisions about that solely. There is no denying Ailsa gets stuck right into Alf when they argue because she's headstrong, but are you going to ignore that he's exactly the same? I find it ridiculous that you suggest that they were wrong for getting married when they happen to "oppose" views on some things. They both need to learn to communicate much better in my opinion, rather than Ailsa just complying to what Alf thinks because he's her husband.

Roo is very much being fooled by the development and last time I checked she wasn't a guy.

Why didn't Alf and Alsa learn to communicate properly, sort each other out, BEFORE (instead of after) getting married?? I can't understand couples feeling the need to RUSH into making such a life decision as if it were a matter of urgency, long before the probation period (maybe call that "engagement", should be referred to as a test period but oh, no, that's too "unromantic"! Can't have that!) anyway long before the probation period is over. They needed a chance to sort these issues out before they got hitched. Another case of a rushed relationship I'm afraid....... :rolleyes:

Yeah, I can't Alf and Ailsa lasting together!

:D

At this stage hasn't the show only been going less than a year? What other "rushed relationships" are there? And I'm not disagreeing that they moved into it quite fast but why is that a problem in terms of a storyline? No complication = no moving forward.

ETA: While I'm making making my 4th post in here for the day I may as well say something else on the current episode. I adore Bobby and Frank. Together, seperately as friends, as something more, who the heck cares. It's like this total slow burn and I love watching them. I can see why they've remained memorable to viewers for so long. And the other day Sally was making fun of Steven about something, putting on a voice I think? Oh so cute.

Anyone notice the continuity error in Episode 142. The girl who plays the pinball machine puts her bag outside the door before walking in. Yet, when Ailsa throws them out she walks out the shop with it over her shoulder.

Archived