1988 Episode Discussion

Dan F

The three episodes at the end of the week were quite bizarre in the way that show seemed to veer away from the form it had taken up to the wedding with weird locations, occasionally different filming techniques and what feels like a lot more peripheral characters. Starting with the Celia/Morag/Roo/Brett storyline and The Bellingham Mansion and is tacky decor, with Celia's driving comedy.

I think it's noticable as the show enters quite a heavy Stewart/Fisher period that certain characters seem to be getting used less and less. You can see why Lynn was eventually cut, she hasn't had much to do since the misunderstanding with her father.

Old H&A Fan, just reading you signature. To think two years ago Sally left about now seems not so long ago, yet to think (what is just over two years), where we'll be up to in these episodes and which characters could just be about to arrive seems so far away.

I think these couple of episodes were the episodes that defined Morag and the potential she had. Up until the wedding she had been judgemental and bitchy, yes. But once she got Roo back to her mansion, she became truly conniving, devious and ruthless - giving us and the writers a taste of how much they could do with this character. I think the phonecall with Celia and her pretend conversation in earshot of Roo was the turning point. I think the writers realised this and had already decided they'd have to bring her back, hence the closing shot of Morag watching tearfully as Celia took Roo away, which very much left her character without closure. (I could be wrong but I'm assuming this was the end of Morag's first stint).

Thinking back over the years, especially the early years, I realise I have often found the Stewart/Fisher family more interesting than the Fletcher/Ross, so I'm really enjoying these episodes and what's soon to come.

I agree with what you've said, Morag is absolutely amazing, and Cornelia Frances excelled herself from the very beginning. Considering we have the likes of Tom and Pippa, Celia etc. who although ver kind-hearted, are quite wishy-washy, Morag provides the counterbalance that was severely needed and I think her arrival proved a turning point for the show. I wonder if it was always planned that Bobby would be her and Don's daughter?

Archived