1988 Episode Discussion

Dan F

I enjoyed watching Episode 2. Martin is a character of very good value, I loved it when he left Summer Bay House with the rose petals covered all over him. Very funny :P

I'm also finding it strange to adapt to the first Pippa. I've never watched her before, but it's really strange and I really think the new Pippa is much better, but maybe I'll give it time and see if I change my mind.

Floss and Neville are great characters, I wish they stayed for longer. :)

Walter almost deserved to be hit by the truck, he certainly sat staring at it for 10 seconds rolling slowly towards him.

Episode 3 is the episode where I think the show really starts as such. Maybe the introduction of Roo does it and takes away from the safe warmth of the Fletcher family, but no, this episode it feels like each story rolls into the other, things start overlapping and from now on things keep on happening.

I know what you mean, Ryan. I'm actually quite surprised by how much I'm enjoying these episodes, as they seem to not last very long and the time just flies! I think the show has a very good starting point, a lot of thought was definitely put into the set-up of the show, i.e. making Donald Fisher the brother-in-law of Alf, and from today I'm guessing Fisher and Ailsa had "a bit of an affair" as Ailsa put it?! It's very good how they've linked all the characters together and there are a fair few good stories starting at once, for example Roo obviously not wanting her father to date Ailsa, and will Bobby be allowed to stay at school or will she get expelled? Plus the whole story surrounding the Fletcher's family situation.

I have to admit it's uber-weird seeing Sally so young and still getting quite a few scenes, even though she's what, 8 years old? Very sweet though and I think it's wonderful that the writers gave her such focus even though she's only a youngster.

As for Episode 3, I've just watched it and thought it was great. I love Bobby's feisty side, but I like that she's trying to be more responsible at school now, and Carly and Bobby's growing alliance is very sweet and comforting to watch. Having only seen clips of Roo's wedding, I admit I was very surprised that she was school-age and very young-looking in her first scene, I just expected her to be older for some reason, but of course I haven't seen these episodes before.

I'm not sure about Lance at this stage. I feel as though they exaggerate his stupidity to a level that isn't realistic, and makes him seem like a complete caricature, but that seems to run in the family with the "Smart" family, as they only seem to be given stupid dialogue, and Colleen is carrying on Lance's legacy of caricature in the noughties!

Also, is Roo Martha's mum? I can't remember but I'm guessing she is, and if so, I think that Jodi Gordon was very good casting as she seems to have that naivety and sort of simplicity in her nature that I've recognised in Roo's character. I also think the actress that plays Roo looks familiar and a bit similar to the girl who played Gemma Ramsay in Neighbours all those years back. :)

Lastly, does anyone know if "The Early Years" will be taken off air over Christmas because I think it would be great if we could watch over the holiday period, because then we can catch up and get to Morag's arrival, which I'm SSOOOO looking forward to!

I know, it was a new show so there had to be some serious planning involved, but I agree that they did a fantastic job with their characters and at reeling you in to want more. You are right too, the time goes by so fast!

The freeze frame would have come in handy here with Walter seemingly so stunned he couldn't reverse back! haha

Roo is Martha's mum, a rough estimate would be that Martha should be born around June 2010 if they keep showing the show each weekday continuosly.

Beth Buchanan does appear in H&A this year, but not as Roo.

Oh thanks Ryan! I had no idea that Beth Buchanan was in Home and Away too! :)

I know, it was a new show so there had to be some serious planning involved, but I agree that they did a fantastic job with their characters and at reeling you in to want more. You are right too, the time goes by so fast!

The freeze frame would have come in handy here with Walter seemingly so stunned he couldn't reverse back! haha

Went back it's nine seconds from when he first sees the truck coming towards him till point of impact.

Something I hadn't noticed originally, but whilst I've got the chance spotted, is how little Tom has been in this first week so far whilst Pippa seems the go to person.

I've heard somewhere, I think it was actually a Baycast last year, that Bevan said the show nearly axed after 4 or 5 weeks and they knew why - they had been playing it far too safe, trying to avoid the melodrama of Sons and Daughters and I think it is noticable here, there is occasionally a lack of, one doesn't want to say action becaue that springs to mind car chases and such like. This episode just seemed to roll along all episode, it all seems to be nothing-ness between the two cliffhangers - basically the car crash. The rest is basically almost like watching people on Big Brother making small talk or something.

The speed of that car crash does beg the question as to how Bertram sustained such serious injuries.

Maybe Clive Fisher and Debra Stewart ran away together, their families disowning them and vowing never to speak of them again.......

Archived