1988 Episode Discussion

Dan F

By contrast, I look at the first ever episode of Headland and within the first five minutes I think Sam Atwell's character had killed a few people, it felt like I'd been introduced to about 15 different people, none who I knew who they were.

Anyone ever seen the first episode of Secret Army?I think that's the worst first episode I've ever seen when it comes to setting things up.You had too many different characters coming in from too many different directions(37 speaking parts in a 50 minute episode)and it wasn't until very near the end that I began to realise which ones were important and which ones were incidental.

Been a few months since I've seen the pilot but I seem to remember it held up well.Some elements seemed to get resolved quite quickly:The tension between Frank and Steven didn't last very long and Bobby's character arc is pretty much over by the end of the episode.In future episodes they'd probably bring in a character like that and run the storyline over two months...but then you get the feeling the pilot covers about two months.(Nice touch not having her on the credits for the pilot so we weren't sure if she'd stick around.)I do think it's a shame Lynn wasn't given more to do, there's already a feeling of her being a fifth wheel with the other teens getting more of the action but she had a nice sassy attitude and knew how to push Carly's buttons.That scene in Episode 1 where Lynn's doing up Matt's wetsuit while Carly just sits there stuttering had me in stitches when I saw it.

Haven't seen Episode 2 so wake me up when it's 1992...

The tension between Frank and Steven didn't last very long and Bobby's character arc is pretty much over by the end of the episode.

Well it does appear to be that way sort of, in the pilot - but when the show actually kicked off these were still prominent, sure Bobby had made headway with Carly and the family to an extent but it certainly wasn't the last we saw of her feisty and aggressiveness. Stevo and Frank's relationship takes a few weeks before its 'all good'.

I missed today's episode because my timer screwed up! :rolleyes: I wish it was on at 4/4.30pm personally, it would be easier to watch and those at school would be able to catch it too.

The tension between Frank and Steven didn't last very long and Bobby's character arc is pretty much over by the end of the episode.

Well it does appear to be that way sort of, in the pilot - but when the show actually kicked off these were still prominent, sure Bobby had made headway with Carly and the family to an extent but it certainly wasn't the last we saw of her feisty and aggressiveness. Stevo and Frank's relationship takes a few weeks before its 'all good'.

Possibly didn't phrase myself very well there, I don't mean Bobby lost her feisty and aggressive side, I just meant that by the end of the episode she's "one of them"-the family have accepted her and, perhaps more importantly, she'd accepted them.But maybe I'm wrong, I haven't seen the next few episodes.

I liked seeing Episode One for the very first time. I've already developed a crush for Frank, it's clear that it's not just current Home and Away that has the hot guys, but from the very beginning there was some eye candy, what with Matt and Frank... :P

As for the episode, it wasn't too bad. Things are progressing slowly, I'm liking getting to know Frank and how he never felt he was that good at school, plus the Frank and Fisher show-down was pretty good viewing. What I don't understand is why Fisher isn't in the opening credits yet? Was he promoted to the regular cast at a later date or something?

Anyway, it's very good value having these early eps broadcast. I really hope 7 decide to air it long-term. :)

What I don't understand is why Fisher isn't in the opening credits yet? Was he promoted to the regular cast at a later date or something?

Looking at the BTTB episode guide, it seems Fisher isn't on the opening credits until episode 95.Did he get a standard credit on the closing titles in the early days?I seem to remember Roo and Celia were listed on Episode 1 before they even made their debuts.

Yeah, I think Roo, Celia, Lance, Martin and Fisher didn't make the credits to Episode 95, but they certainly appear to be credited whether or not they appeared in those episodes.

Roo does leave for a while in a few months and is dropped from the closing credits.

The closing credits in the Early Years are quite funny things. Several characters go on them and then come back off, before going on them again, like Marilyn. Viv is actually on the opening titles about a week or two before her first episode! Also Stacey who we'll meet around next July or something stays for absolutely ages, and appears to appear as much if not more than the rest of the cast, but never makes the cast list. I've never understood however why each speaking role is not credited. I believe that those girls should have been a credit!

Episode 2 is actually what I believe the worst episode of this block. It is very much a bridging episode between the Fletcher's moving to the Bay and the actual start of the storylines starting to roll if I can describe it that way. It sort of gets Bobby from an outsider into some sort of mainstream by getting her back into school, and well, if we want to know where slightly pointless cliffhangers started!

Also worth noting for the next 10 years if they're still going you've got to have seen the previous episode to know where the new one starts and I hope you're watching the closing credits because until Episode 40, there's a bit at the end of the credits.

I'm glad they scrapped the bit on the end because it doesn't work well with the cliff hanger imo I wonder if they did it to keep viewers on 7, without turning over during the end credits.

What I'm happy about, with the airings on 7TWO is that we are getting the full end credits without interruption. When they were doing repeats back in the early 00's they had promos all over the end credits. Still wish they'd move it to a late afternoon time-slot though. An early morning time-slot doesn't work for H&A Imo because it is aimed at a wider demographic than Sons and Daughters ever was and its making me nervous that they will stop showing it once the 90's come along - I cant see them showing 1995 episodes at 9.30am when a lot of people who want to see it are at work or school and I could see it rating well. :ph34r: Anyway what with the summer holiday's coming up, I really hope they continue showing right threw.

Archived