Boat People!

Guest JusticeMoragBellingham

Yeah I am worried about the country getting over-populated, that is one reason for my hesitation. But I don't think they are blackmailing the country. They simply don't want to live if they can't enter Australia, a country of freedom and rights. I guess there's no point in living as they don't want to go back to their country for some reason (maybe there laws, war, poverty, the government). I am torn between saying it's okay to let them in the country and not wanting them to enter the country. Some of these human beings are woman and children :(

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My parents came as refugees in the 1970s. They lived in housing commissions and didn't know much English. They worked at least two jobs on the go, and without knowing much English you could expect the jobs they did weren't the easiest. My dad has worked in several factories since he has been in Australia and still does today. My mum worked as a cleaner in a hospital while sewing patches for clothing at night, and has worked in meat and fish markets since then. They met and got married in Australia and I was born here. I'm educated, I work and I think I make a pretty valid contribution to society. I am forever grateful that the Australian Government back then was more compassionate than the Government are today because I wouldn't be alive otherwise.

I'm not saying we should open up the borders because yes, there are security risks. Yes, we do have trouble with over-population. But maybe instead of viewing these people as selfish people who only want to get their own way, maybe think about the fact that they've been through war and are living in constant fear - to the point they would sell everything they have and travel on an unsafe boat for a better life.

I don't agree with the emotional blackmail techniques they are using but as someone who has grown up in a country without much fear for my own safety and having a comfortable bed to sleep in every night, I'm not sure how I would react if I were in their shoes so I feel I can't judge them on that. I know there needs to be compromise and I know we can't welcome everyone who wants to come in. But a little more understanding and a little less judgment won't go astray.

Australia is built on concept of immigration and I think many people seem to brush that aside and forget about it whenever the new wave of people arrive, threatening our lifestyle. Everyone who arrived in Australia was a new Australian at one stage, subjected to racism and judgment. Italians, Greeks, Vietnamese, Chinese, Timorese, Iraqis, Indians, you name it. It's a shame that hasn't changed and maybe it's why Indians are getting bashed, why there'll be race riots in places like Cronulla, and why people internationally continue to view Australia as a backward, ignorant and racist country.

these arent genuine refugees we are talking about man. They paid a smuggler more then $US5,000 to make the journey to

Australia. Some pay over 10 grand. I dont have that sort of money do you?

My parents came as refugees in the 1970s. They lived in housing commissions and didn't know much English. They worked at least two jobs on the go, and without knowing much English you could expect the jobs they did weren't the easiest. My dad has worked in several factories since he has been in Australia and still does today. My mum worked as a cleaner in a hospital while sewing patches for clothing at night, and has worked in meat and fish markets since then. They met and got married in Australia and I was born here. I'm educated, I work and I think I make a pretty valid contribution to society. I am forever grateful that the Australian Government back then was more compassionate than the Government are today because I wouldn't be alive otherwise.

I'm not saying we should open up the borders because yes, there are security risks. Yes, we do have trouble with over-population. But maybe instead of viewing these people as selfish people who only want to get their own way, maybe think about the fact that they've been through war and are living in constant fear - to the point they would sell everything they have and travel on an unsafe boat for a better life.

I don't agree with the emotional blackmail techniques they are using but as someone who has grown up in a country without much fear for my own safety and having a comfortable bed to sleep in every night, I'm not sure how I would react if I were in their shoes so I feel I can't judge them on that. I know there needs to be compromise and I know we can't welcome everyone who wants to come in. But a little more understanding and a little less judgment won't go astray.

Australia is built on concept of immigration and I think many people seem to brush that aside and forget about it whenever the new wave of people arrive, threatening our lifestyle. Everyone who arrived in Australia was a new Australian at one stage, subjected to racism and judgment. Italians, Greeks, Vietnamese, Chinese, Timorese, Iraqis, Indians, you name it. It's a shame that hasn't changed and maybe it's why Indians are getting bashed, why there'll be race riots in places like Cronulla, and why people internationally continue to view Australia as a backward, ignorant and racist country.

these arent genuine refugees we are talking about man. They paid a smuggler more then $US5,000 to make the journey to

Australia. Some pay over 10 grand. I dont have that sort of money do you?

Whether you are a genuine refugee or not isn't defined by your economic status. You can have all the money in the world but have your life threatened. A refugee is someone who is fleeing their homeland in fear of unfair persecution, this could be based on your anything from your political or religious belief. There's now even a category of climate change refugees. Just because you have money doesn't mean you're not in danger. And besides, if you're really that desperate that you think you'll be killed or tortured, your possessions and your assets don't mean much to you anyway so you would sell it all for a ticket to get out of there.

For 10 or 5 grand man which they pay the people smugglers they should be able to by a air ticket in stead of coming here illegally!

So if they are trying to flee from an oppressive government who want to kill, torture or imprison them, how do you expect them to be able to get their passports approved and get on a plane and fly out of the country without being caught? Don't you think if you were able to fly you'd take that option because it's a lot safer than going by boat?

He might agree with you but I dont!

Yes the K Rudd government is too soft. We are not living in an ideal world where we can all live in harmony and help each other out with the money tree from our back garden! The only reason all these so called "refugees" head to Australia is because of the freebies we provide. If they are Muslim one would think they would be more at home in Indonesia rather than coming to Australia but of course Indonesia does not have the welfare system in place that Australia does. I am one of the tax payers continually paying out for all the "warm, do good bleeding hearts" and am fed up with it. It's time for tough measures, It's been said time and again we should learn from the mistakes other countries have made by allowing an influx of refugees in!

Archived