Never So Few

Guest TelephotoMarigold

“Girls” Nic shouted rushing into the room.

“What is it?” Ruby groaned her head under a pillow.

Belle crawled out of the small door that led to the side of the attic. She had set up a darkroom in there and was processing some prints.

“Nic.” She murmured. “I need dropped my developing fluid.” She moaned.

Nic laughed just as the door behind her was flung open and Annie came in breathing heavily.

“Have you told them?” she gasped out the question.

“Not yet.” Nic grinned.

“Well tell us already then I can die in peace.” Ruby groaned.

“We told you not to drink Ale.” Belle said to her.

She pushed the pillow to one side.

“I think it was the wee dram I had afterwards that did it.” she muttered peering at them.

“Well anyway.” Nic said pulling them back on track. “There’s a base near here that has Aussie flyers on!” she exclaimed.

“Another rumour.” Ruby said lying flat once more and pulling the pillow back over her face.

“No it’s true. We heard them talking in the post office. Apparently one of them was in there talking about postage to back home.” Annie said.

Her face was still flushed with excitement as she and Nic looked at each other.

“Well they might not be our group of Aussie’s” Belle warned.

“We know but well it’s a start isn’t it. Maybe they know the people we are looking for.” Nic said softly.

Belle looked at her for a long moment want to ask her a load of questions about her background. She had a feeling that there was more than what she’d told them.

“Ok so how do we go about meeting them?” Belle asked.

Nic grinned and reached into the pocket of her red dress pulling out a poster she handed it to her.

“A dance?” Belle asked.

Ruby pushed back the pillow.

“When?” she asked quickly.

“Saturday.” Nic grinned. “So do you fancy going?” she asked her.

“I’ve got a date.” She moaned.

“Bring him along.” Belle murmured.

She shook her head before collapsing back on the pillows.

“They live at the big manor house. I so don’t think they would attend something like that.” She moaned.

“You never know if you don’t ask them. Come on Rubes this is a chance to find out about them.” Nic murmured.

Ruby peered at her.

“Ok I’ll ask Xavier if he wants to go.” She grinned at then before placing the pillow back over her head.

Nic looked at Annie who was grinning.

“What?” she asked her.

“I bet you are thinking about what to wear already aren’t you?” she asked Nic who grinned back at her.

“Maybe.” She conceded.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The village hall was decorated with hanging lanterns of every colour. Some had tiny candles in lighting up the wooden room with swathes of gentle hues. The floor had been polished to a high gleam and on the stage at the far end of the room was the band complete with piano player. Nic swirled around the dress she was wearing spinning round her legs with a gentle hiss sound as she moved. She loved the feel of the silk and decided not to tell the other that it had been made from a parachute and dyed with beetroot amongst other things to get the deep plum colour. She looked over at Annie who she’d bullied into wearing her pink gown. Her long raven hair pinned up into an elegant French roll. The normal make up she wore had been enhanced with deep crimson lips and startling black mascara on her long lashes.

Ruby joined her.

“Annie looks amazing.” She murmured. “How did you get her in that dress?”

Nic grinned.

“I told her it was unchristian to reject my offer.”

Ruby laughed.

“I need to introduce you to Xavier.” She said linking her arm through Nic’s and leading her away.

“I wish you wanted to introduce me to some lovely Australians.” She said quietly. “And speaking of lovely, where is our Belle?”

Ruby leaned over to whisper in her ear.

“She’s talking to the base chaplain. I think she’s probing him for information.”

Nic giggled at the innuendo.

“Behave.” Ruby muttered, with an equal sized grin on her face.

“Ruby.” Xavier called.

“Hello.” She greeted him before pressing a kiss to his cheek. “You’ve already met Annie well this is Nicole.”

Xavier smiled at her.

“Nice to meet you.” He said, his accent striking by its cut glass tones.

“Lovely to meet you.” Nic said warmly.

She looked over at him and smiled thinking how handsome the young man was. There was a light in Ruby’s eyes that she hadn’t seen for a time and she knew that Xavier was the reason.

“Isn’t this marvellous how they have decorated the place?” he asked.

Nic smiled some more.

“I’m sure you don’t want to make small talk with me Xavier. Why don’t you take this lovely girl onto the dance floor?” Nic suggested.

She felt Ruby’s elbow jab into her but saw the other girl smiling.

“I will do just that.” He declared and swept Ruby away in his embrace.

Nic watched with a small twinge of jealousy as the couple moved onto the floor.

“Jealous?” Belle asked moving next to her.

Nic looked at her and also Annie who’d joined them.

“Yep.” She declared. “Ruby looks happy.”

Belle smiled.

“That she does even though he just stepped on her foot.”

Annie giggled.

“So ladies, what have we found out?”

Belle looked at them and sighed.

“They were late back from a mission today and it looks like they won’t make it.” Belle murmured.

Annie sighed.

“It wasn’t that we could meet the people we’re looking for it was the accent.” She muttered.

“I miss it too.” Nic said putting her arm around Annie’s shoulders.

“Ya great big gallah!” Belle muttered making her accent as broad as possible.

Annie giggled.

“Exactly.” She declared.

They looked up then as new arrivals walked into the room. Geoff wlking in front followed by Angelo and Jack. They were all dressed in their No 1’s and looked exceedingly handsome.

“Oh my god.” Annie said beginning to shake.

“What is it?” Nic asked quickly.

Annie shook her head at her and proceeded to run across the dance floor cutting through the dancers in an effort to get across the room quickly.

“Geoff!” she shouted out.

He turned his head and saw her.

“Annie?” he asked as though he didn’t believe what he was seeing.

She smiled and threw herself at him.

“Hey!” Nic grumbled. Then turned to Belle.” That’s the guy in the photograph you showed me.”

Belle shook her head.

“It’s not Aden.”

Nic clutched at her arm.

“No the other one. You know his friend. Maybe he knows where Aden is.” She said and then sighed.

They looked up as Annie moved over to them holding on to Geoff’s arm.

“Belle and Nic this is my brother Geoff.” She introduced them.

“Nice to meet you.” Belle said warmly.

She turned and looked at Nic who wasn’t saying anything.

“Nic.” She prompted.

“Yeah, nice.” Nic said and blushed.

Annie and Belle looked at her curiously before equal sized grins appeared on their faces.

“Nice to meet you.” Geoff said casting a shy glance at Nic before looking at Belle. “Can I introduce you to my mates?”

Belle nodded.

Geoff turned around and gestured for the other two men to join him.

“Do you know Aden?” Belle blurted out.

His head shot up.

“Aden, sure.” He murmured. “He should be here soon.”

“Really?” Belle said unable to keep the note of excitement from her voice.

“He’s trying to get the CO to come out with us.” Angelo added joining in with the conversation.

“This is Angelo and Jack.” Geoff said. He half turned to his comrades. “Belle and Nic.” He introduced them.

“And this is Ruby and her date Xavier.” Belle said as the others joined them.

“It’s good to hear another Australian.” Ruby said with a grin. “Not that your voice isn’t cute.” She added to appease a pouting Xavier.

“Shall we sit down?” Annie suggested.

Geoff nodded and moved over to the end of the room where there were free seats.

“So tell em what you are doing here?” he asked Annie.

“I wanted to find you.” She blurted and blushed.

“Oh Annie.” he said softly.

He sighed, thinking of the kid sister he’d left behind in Australia, complete with pigtails and scrapped knees. Here she was all grown up coming halfway around the world to find him.

“We lost the farm Geoff.” She told him sadly. “Pops.” She began, her voice breaking.

“Oh no.” he said guessing what she had been about to say.

Nic moved over to her and sat alongside her taking her hand in her own. She avoided eye contact with Geoff because that seemed to make her forget how to talk English. And what was with the blushing? She asked herself. She never blushed.

“Thanks.” Annie murmured. “So you see you are my only family left and I couldn’t not come and find you.”

Geoff sighed before putting his arm around Annie’s shoulders.

“I love you.” He said quietly.

Nic caught the words and suddenly wished that he were saying them to her. She gasped at the thought and looked at Angelo.

“Do you want to dance?” she asked him quickly.

Angelo grinned and moved with her to the dance floor.

Belle and Ruby shared a look before sitting down next to the others.

“She’s interesting.” Geoff was saying quietly.

Annie looked up at him.

“She’s my best friend. She helped me get here.” Annie proclaimed.

Again Belle and Ruby shared a look.

“Really?” Ruby asked softly.

“I stowed away on the ship coming over and she caught me. Instead of turning me in she pretended she’d forgotten to book my passage. She paid for me to come over.” Annie said finally, a stain of colour on her cheeks. She still felt guilty about the deception but with no family except Geoff left she just wanted to get here and find him.

“I’ve got some money saved. “ Geoff told her. “We’ll pay her back.”

Annie shook her head.

“She won’t let me. Said I kept her company on the trip.”

Ruby whistled under her breath before looking over at the girl that they had called the Princess.

“Guess there is more to her than meets the eye.” Belle declared.

“Is this a party?” Jack asked. “Because I would like to dance.” He looked over at Belle before holding his hand out to her.

She smiled up at him and accepted moving out on to the dance floor.

“What do you say we join them?” Xavier asked Ruby.

She grinned and moved into his arms as they spun away onto the dance floor again.

“I’m so not dancing with my brother so don’t even think about it.” Annie told him folding her arms.

Geoff grinned and stood up. He moved over to where Nic and Angelo were and tapped Angelo on his shoulder.

“Gentleman’s excuse me.” He said before claming Nic as his dance partner. He spun her away in a smooth circle grinning as Angelo quickly walked over to Annie and asked her to dance.

“So you helped my sister?” Geoff murmured quietly.

“It was nothing.” Nic said looking anywhere but at him.

“I’m going to pay you back.” He declared.

She stopped dead and pulled away from him.

“That is nothing to do with you.” She muttered her eyes shooting sparks at him.

“Maybe not but we pay our debts.” He said proudly.

She stomped on her heel and spun around marching off the dance floor.

“Campbell I thought you were smoother than that.” Jack said to him, stopping next to him on the dance floor.

“This is just round one.” Geoff told him with a grin.

“Nic doesn’t need you messing her about.” Belle told him quickly remembering the look on the other girl’s face when she saw him.

“You have no need to worry.” Jack began. “Geoff is a serious one.” He added and began dancing again leading Belle back onto the floor.

Geoff grinned and walked outside. He caught up with Nic easily seeing her walking towards the Village Square.

“Nicole.” He shouted.

“How did you know my name?” she asked spinning around.

“Because she wrote to me.” Geoff said softly catching up with her.

He took in the moonlight, the soft sweet music drifting through the starry night, the long floaty confection she was wearing, the way her lips moved when she spoke to him and couldn’t help himself. He pulled her into his arms and kissed her.

She melted into his arms with a sigh and let her mouth be plundered under his, feeling his strong arms wrapped around her. This was magic she thought before putting her hands on his chest to push him away. She found instead that she put her arms around his neck and clung to him.

“Say ‘oh Geoff’” he instructed.

She looked at him and sighed.

“Oh Geoff.” She said softly.

“Perfect.” He declared. “The perfect girl in perfect moonlight and the most perfect kiss.”

She moaned softly under her breath and felt his lips press on hers once more.

• 1 month later...

Roman sat in his office writing a letter to the family of the man who hadn’t come back from today’s flying feeling like he should have done more, should be doing more. He wrote about how he was well liked among the men although they had barely got to know him, he put that he talked of home often, another lie. Another lie. He wrote no details about how the man died but put that it was brave death and they should be proud. Words he knew wouldn’t appease the grief they would feel at losing their son.

“You know Sqn Ldr, you keep frowning like that and you will be old before your time.”

“At least I’ll get the chance to get old.” He told Aden bitterly thinking of all the letter he had writing to parents and loved ones back home.

“Put that letter down and come out with us.” Aden said after a moment, He placed a glass of whiskey in front of him and flashed a quick grin.

“What is that supposed to do mellow me?” Roman asked.

Aden shook his head and spinning the chair in front of him around he straddled it and eased down resting his arms on the chair back.

“That is three weeks rations in that one glass.” He pointed out. “Get it down your neck. As they say over here.”

Roman gave a wry grin and picked up the glass rubbing his thumb against the side he looked over at Aden and then drank it down feeling the heat slide down his throat.

“Now get your arse dressed and come out with us.” Aden grinned. “And note Sqn Ldr that we aren’t taking no for an answer here so don’t try pulling rank.”

Roman shook his head but caught the determined look on the face of the other man. He screwed the top on his fountain pen and set it to one side before standing up and moving over to collect his jacket and hat from the stand near the door.

“What are you waiting for Jefferies.” He called out moving through the door and heading for his car.

Aden chuckled and looked forlornly at the empty glass. It had been three weeks rations in there but luckily they were Geoff’s, as the bible boy didn’t drink.

They made their way to the village hall, Roman parking close by.

“You’ve just made me realise why I like flying.” Aden grumbled. “It’s a damn sight safer than your driving.”

Roman chuckled and straightened his uniform jacket before heading inside the hall. He saw his other men talking in a group noting that thye seemed to be with the best looking women in the room. He wandered over to them pinning a smile on his face.

“Aden.” Angelo called out. “How did you do it?” he asked him.

Aden gave them a grin.

“I hit him over the head and stuffed his unconscious body in the car.” Aden said and caught Roman glaring at him.

“Point taken.” He said.

“Let me get you some punch.” Jack said and grinned. “We added something to it.” he added in a lower tone of voice.

Roman laughed.

“Are you going to introduce me?” he asked them.

Angelo grinned.

“Ok this is Ruby and her partner for this evening Xavier. Then you have Annie. IT turns out Annie is sister to our Geoff.” Angelo grinned.

“How did Geoff get such a beautiful sister?” Roman asked and saw the young girl blush. He gave her a smile and saw her giggle.

“I think you are leading me on.” She told him.

“Where is Geoff?” Roman asked them scanning the room for the other man.

“The lucky dog walked out of here with the most glamorous blonde I’ve ever seen and if he has any sense he will keep her away from you.”

Roman gave Angelo a look and then turned to Belle.

“I hope these guys aren’t giving you too much grief?” he asked her.

She looked at him wondering if her would pose for her. Clothes on of course she thought and then caught the intense eyes of Aden. She looked at him and felt her heart leap in her chest. It was the one she photographed.

“No.” she said . “No not at all.” She added.

Roman caught the direction her eyes were focusing and half turned.

“This is Aden Jefferies.” He introduced the other man to the group although he suspected that his name was off more importance to the girl standing in front of him.

“How do you do?” Ruby called out sensing that something was going on with the normally forthright Belle.

“Hey.” Aden said his eyes drawn to Belle.

Jack walked back and handed the two men a glass of fruit punch.

They each took a cautious sip and looked at the smiling Jack.

“I got a bottle of something off Scotty.” He said to them. “I wasn’t quite sure what it was but it seems to go well with the fruit punch.”

“You can say that again.” Roman said still sipping cautiously.

Aden coughed.

“What was in the bottle?” he asked clearing his throat.

“I have no idea and I thought it better not to ask him he seemed to be in the middle of playing with an engine.” Jack said.

“Xavier.” Roman said softly turning his attention to the other man. “You must feel left out amongst all these Australian accents.”

“Just a little sir.” He murmured.

Roman grinned.

“Older brother?” he asked again quietly.

Xavier nodded.

“Yeah Hugo.” He said. “How did you guess?”

“The Sir bit was a give-away.” He murmured.

Xavier blushed.

“I was hoping he would be here tonight but he said he had other things he needed to do.” He said.

“It would have been nice to meet him. “ Ruby said to Xavier.

Xavier nodded.

“I’m sure you will do soon.” He said for her ears alone and saw her smile.

“Shall we take some seats?” Roman said.

“We could do but I want to whisk Annie on to the dance floor.” Jack proclaimed.

Annie blushed once more before stammering that she would love to.

Xavier held his hand to Ruby and they moved to the floor. It took a few seconds before Aden and Belle drifted away.

“No Angelo.” Roman said. “Don’t even think about it.”

Angelo grinned.

“I would dream of asking you to dance Sqn Ldr, you’d probably want to lead.”

He said.

Roman let out a laugh and clapped the other man on the shoulder.

“Too bloody right.” He said his accent broadening by the second.

• 4 months later...

“I tell you Martha this is the last time I let those patronising…” Charlie began saying fiddling with her top uniform button.

“Charlie we joined up we have to follow rules. That means we fly these planes to where they want us to.” Martha murmured. “When they want us too and how they want us too.”

“You and me in WAAF?” Charlie grinned at the other woman her bad mood forgotten. “Who would have thought?”

“Not me for certain I was just a farm girl.”

“Who could fix electric’s.” Charlie said. “And fly a crop duster.”

Martha nodded and showed Charlie her smile.

“Come on. We need to report to the base CO. Maybe get a night off.”

Charlie looked at her.

“And who exactly is going to give us the time of day in these horrible starched things?” she asked gesturing to the dark blue uniform she was wearing.

Martha gave her a look and then glanced back at the brown drab coveralls she had been wearing a moment before.

Martha brushed down the trousers before fastening her buttons. She took off the sheepskin-flying jacket carrying it with her and chuckling as Charlie rolled up her coveralls and folded them into the canvas bag that passed as her handbag.

“Ready?” she asked her.

Charlie nodded and they walked to the hanger.

“Chief?” Charlie called out softly.

“Thanks for the planes.” He mumbled his head in an engine as he fiddled with the mechanics.

“Where is the CO?” Martha asked.

“He’s not here. Went down to the smoke for a meeting.” Scotty said softly his accent responsible for the rolling r’s in his speech.

“The smoke?” Martha questioned.

“Not from around here are you?” Scotty asked coming out from the plane and looking at them. “The smoke is London.”

“Did you get the from our accents?” Charlie said with a grin.

“You sound just like the lot that fly from here.”

“Woah, you have Australians here?” Martha said quickly.

Scotty nodded and using a cloth to began cleaning his hands. He stood slowly and moved over to the side of the hanger to the thermos flask he had there.

“Yes.” He said pouring out a cup of tea for himself. “Can I interest you wee lassies in a drink?”

Charlie shook her head.

“Where are they?” she asked and earned a glare from Martha.

“In town. There is a little dance.” Scotty said.

“No.” Martha said before Charlie said anything.

“What can it hurt? We won’t be collected until the morning. We can check in the guest house later.”

Martha gave her a look without saying anything.

Scotty grinned and moved over to the car he had parked nearby. He opened the door and looked at them.

“Well will ya be wanting a lift or are you planning to walk?” he asked.

Martha slowly walked over to the car before grinning at Charlie.

“Fine.” She conceded. “We’ll go.”

Charlie squealed excitedly and jumped in the back of the car.

“If only I thought to pack some make up.” She muttered.

Martha gave her another look the moonlight shining off the other girls’ perfect features. She reached into her bag and pulled out a tube of ruby red lipstick and her mascarra before handing her a mirror.

“Martha Mackenzie you have been holding out on me.” Charlie muttered.

“Here.” She said and handed over her gold compact.

Charlie grinned and angled the mirror so that the moonlight lit it up so she could see what she was doing. She dabbed the translucent powder over her face before opening the rube of the thick red lipstick. She smoothed it carefully on her lips and then reached for the black mascarra block wetting it with her finger before taking the brush and rubbing it to a paste. She flicked it on her lashes emphasising her dark eyes.

“Thank you.” She said handing it back to Martha. “what is the name of the lipstick?” she asked before taking out the grips in her hair. She rolled the front sections and pinned them back up.

“Ruby kiss.” Martha said screwing up her eyes as she read the small label on it.

“My sister is called…”

“Yeah I know.” Martha interrupted. “You’ve told me like a million times already.”

“I can’t help it I’m so proud of her. She’s in boarding school back home she won her scholarship.”

Martha rolled her eyes.

“You sound more like a doting mother.” She said missing the expression that crossed Charlie’s face as she put powder on her own. She added the lipstick before daubing her eyelashes with the mascarra.

“What is wrong with being proud….” Charlie began to say sounding defensive.

“Nothing, jeez.” Martha said putting her makeup away in her bag. She pulled out a comb and tried to do something with her hair giving up after combing the long locks.

“Ok I think we are ready.” Martha said unaware of Charlie’s tension beside her.

“Well that was good timing because you are here.” Scotty told them.

They eased out the back of the car and stood smoothing down their uniforms before stepping into the brightly lit village hall.

Archived