Story Title: You and Me

Type of story: Short/Medium

Main Characters: Charlie, Ruby and Angelo

Other Characters: Morag, Ross, Nicole, Const.Watson and Grant

Rating: G/T

Genre: Drama/Romance

Does story include spoilers: No

Any warnings: No

Summary: When a family secret is revealed Charlie finds herself seeking comfort in the last person she thought she would turn to.

Chapter 1

Ruby stood there in complete shock. She couldn’t believe what she had just heard. She dropped the plate and it fell to the ground and smashed into tiny little pieces. They stood there in silence staring at each other, no-one taking any notice to the broken pieces of china that was scattered all over the kitchen floor. After a while Ruby broke the silence.

“Sorry, I don’t think I heard you right, you cannot seriously be my mother” Ruby yelled

“I am. You are my daughter Ruby” Charlie said as a single tear rolled down her cheek. Ruby ran from the kitchen and out the front door bumping into Morag, who was returning to the house after being out for dinner with Ross. She didn’t stop to apologise or explain she just kept running.

“Ruby wait, let me explain” Charlie shouted as she chased after her.

“Let her go Charlie” Ross said as he caught hold of his daughter and pulled her back.

“But I need to explain things” Charlie cried

“And you will get the chance to explain everything Charlie, but just let her go. Give her time” Ross said as they went into house and sat down at the kitchen table.

“Maybe for the time being you could fill me in on the situation. After all I am part of this family am I not? I feel I have the right to know what is going on” Morag said and Charlie looked up at her and then across to her dad. She took a deep breath then looked round at Morag, the tears starting to roll down her cheeks.

“Well you know I said I had a baby” Charlie started

“Yes, go on” Morag replied

“Ruby is my daughter. When I was 14 I was……” Charlie stopped talking and looked around at her dad. He took hold of her hand and nodded his head. She looked back round at Morag and the tears started to flow down. She was about to speak again when Morag stopped her. She leaned forward and put her hand on Charlie’s shoulder.

“It’s okay. You don’t have to say it” Morag said and Charlie took another deep breath and wiped away the tears from her eyes.

“I have to go find Ruby. I need to talk to her” Charlie said as she stood up from the table.

“Charlie, let her come around in her own time. She needs time to take this in. Going after her now will only push her further away. Let her come to you. She has just had a big shock” Morag said.

“As have I to be honest” she muttered under her breath. Charlie nodded her head slightly then left the kitchen and went into her bedroom. Morag and Ross looked at each other and Morag shook her head. She didn’t know what to say.

The next day Charlie got up and noticed Ruby hadn’t come home. She tried to phone her but it went through to voice mail. She didn’t speak to Ross or Morag but just went straight to work. Charlie and the rest of the officers stood in the room in complete shock. They couldn’t believe who had just walked in. He had killed Jack, their fellow officer and friend. They didn’t understand how he was out of jail and were even more shocked he had come back to the bay. He walked further into the room and looked up at everyone. He scanned the faces till he saw Charlie and then he smiled at her but she looked away.

“Constable Rosetta will be working as part of marine area command from this station for the time being” the man said and all the officers let out a groan.

“We don’t want him here” Const. Watson said

“As long as he doesn’t speak to me, I don’t care” Another officer said

“Back to work everyone” Charlie said then the Angelo and the other man followed Charlie into her office.

“How long is he going to be here for? Charlie asked looking at the man and not making any contact with Angelo.

“How long is a piece of string Constable?” The man said and Charlie looked up at him and sighed.

“Ok well I guess I better get going. I will be in touch Rosetta” The man said then he left the station. Angelo looked up at Charlie and once again he smiled and she felt herself beginning to smile back but she stopped herself.

“Can I help you with anything?” Charlie asked him

“No, I’m okay” Angelo said

“Well can you leave my office then?” Charlie said and Angelo sighed then walked out of the room. Charlie sat on her seat then put her head in her hands. Angelo coming back into her life was the last thing she expected to happen and the last thing she need right now.

A few days had passed and Charlie still hadn’t seen or heard from Ruby. She tried to phoning her but it always went through to voice mail. She knew she was staying at Miles’ with Nicole and she had been round to the house a few times but Ruby was never in. At least that’s what they told her. She got out of bed and walked through to the kitchen to find Ross and Morag already eating their breakfast. Morag said something to her but Charlie didn’t hear what she said. She was too busy thinking about Ruby. She made a coffee then left the kitchen again. She got dressed and went to work. Angelo attempted to talk to her but just like the previous 3 days she didn’t answer him back. A few hours later and Angelo came into Charlie’s office and handed her a coffee. She looked up and him then back down at the paper work she was doing, not accepting the coffee.

“Charlie please, it’s only a coffee. Just take it” Angelo said. Charlie looked up at him again and took the coffee and put in down on her desk then looked back down at her work.

“So how have you been?” Angelo said. Charlie sat in silence for a few moments before looking up at him.

“Don’t you have work you need to be doing? Charlie said

“Coffee break” Angelo smiled and Charlie let out a sigh.

“I only want to talk Charlie. Don’t you think we need to talk about us?”

“Us? Angelo, there is no us. We finished after you got sent to jail for killing Jack. My friends husband, my partner, my friend.” Charlie said

“Charlie I still love you. And I know you still feel something for me”

“Angelo I really can’t deal with this right now”

“Charlie please....”

“Just get out Angelo” Charlie shouted and he sighed before leaving the office. She got up from her seat and walked out the station and along to the beach. She sat down on the sand and looked out into the ocean. She found herself thinking about her and Angelo and what they had before he went to jail. Then she thought about Ruby and how she was going to fix things with her. She was startled from her thoughts by a voice coming from behind her.

Thank you for your comments! Hope you like this next part. :)

Chapter 2

Charlie looked around to find Angelo standing behind her. He sat down next to her and looked out into the ocean and took a deep breath before turning his head to face Charlie.

“Beautiful out here isn’t it?” Angelo said

“Yeah it is” Charlie replied

“It’s nice to come out here and think about things” Angelo said.

“Yeah it is.” Charlie replied “Even better when you are alone” she continued. Angelo nodded his head and went to stand up, but before Charlie realised what she was doing she felt her hand reaching out and holding onto his arm. Angelo looked down at her and smiled before sitting back down next to her. They both sat there side by side looking out into the ocean, no one saying anything. After a good while Charlie saw Ruby walking along the beach with Nicole and stood up quickly. She started to walk across the sand in the direction of Ruby but as soon as Ruby noticed her she turned around and started walking in the opposite direction. Charlie shouted out for Ruby to wait but Ruby just kept walking. Nicole walked across to Charlie and stopped her.

“She needs time to take this all in Charlie” Nicole said

“She has had 3 days to take it in Nicole, if she would just speak to me and let me explain things then maybe it would be easier for her to understand” Charlie said then she started to walk after Ruby again.

“Ruby please just talk to me” Charlie shouted as she ran after her. Ruby stopped walking and turned around.

“Talk to you? Charlie, I never want to see you again. I hate you” Ruby shouted then she turned and walked away. She walked over to Nicole and the pair walked away as Charlie watched her go. Angelo walked across to Charlie and noticed she was crying.

“Hey, what’s wrong?” Angelo said as he put her arms around her and gave her a hug. Charlie welcomed the hug for a few seconds before pulling back and wiping the tears from her eyes.

“Nothing, I wish you would just leave me alone” Charlie said then she walked away.

Charlie went home to find Nicole walking through the living room with Ruby who was carrying a bag.

“She was just getting more of her things” Nicole said and Ruby continued to walk out of the house, not even looking at Charlie. Charlie sat down on the couch and rubbed her forehead and let out a sigh.

“Nicole you are her best friend. Please make her see that she needs to speak to me about this. She can’t shut me out her life forever, whether she likes it or not I am her mother.” Charlie said.

Nicole moved across to the couch and sat down next to Charlie.

“I’ve tried Charlie. I’m sorry but I don’t know what else I can say. Maybe if you speak to Miles and get him to tell her she can’t stay anymore.”

“Then she would just go to Irene’s or Martha’s. I get that she needs to move out to have space, I understand that. I just want her to speak to me. There’s so much I need to explain” Charlie said.

“I will try again Charlie, but I can’t promise she’ll come round”

“I know. Thanks” Charlie smiled and Ruby came back into the room. Nicole and Charlie looked up at her and Ruby turned her head to face Nicole’s direction.

“Let’s go” Ruby said and Nicole got up and left. A few minutes later and Ross and Morag walked into the room.

“We just saw Ruby leaving here, was she around to talk?” Morag asked

“No she just took more of her things. She wouldn’t even look at me. But I ran into her before. She told me she hated me” Charlie cried.

“Right enough is enough. I’m going to talk to her” Ross said as he got up from where he was sitting. Charlie looked up at him and then to Morag.

“Dad please don’t tell her about……” Charlie trailed off. “I think its best if some things come for me” Charlie said

“Very well darling. I will just try and make her see sense, get her to talk to you” Ross said then he and Morag left the house. Charlie went into her room and looked round at her dressing table. She looked at the photo of her and Ruby from Ruby’s 16th birthday just a few weeks earlier and a tear started to roll down her cheek. Although it had only been 3 days that Ruby hadn’t spoken to her for it left like a lifetime. She missed being around her so much already. She put the photo back on the dresser and found herself leaving the house. She got into her car and drove to his house wondering what the hell she was doing but she still couldn’t seem to stop herself from going. She got out of the car and took a deep breath. She walked up to the door and slowly brought her hand up to ring the door bell.

Chapter 3

Ross and Morag rang the door bell and Nicole ran down the stairs and answered the door.

“Is Ruby in? I have to talk to her” Ross said and he made his way through the door and into the house.

“Yeah, I will go tell her you are here” Nicole said and she went back up the stairs and into her bedroom. “Ruby your dad’s down the stairs. I mean your granddad. I mean Ross” Nicole said sounding confused as to what to address him as. Ruby looked up at Nicole and shrugged her shoulders.

“I don’t care. I don’t want to talk to any of them ever again”

“Ruby they are your family. You can’t shut them out of your life forever”

“Watch me” Ruby said and Nicole shook her head and sat down on the bed next to her.

“At least give them a chance to explain things Ruby. It’s all Charlie and Ross want to do.” Nicole said

“Is she there too?” Ruby asked

“No, it’s just Ross and Morag” Nicole told her and Ruby let out a sigh. She got up from the bed and walked down the stairs to find Ross and Morag sitting on the couch. She walked across and sat down but she didn’t look at them.

“Well say what you came here to say” Ruby said

“Ruby darling, you have to understand we did what we thought would be best for you.”

“Best for me? Shouldn’t that be being raised by my mother?”

“She was only 15 when you were born Ruby. She was shocked and still traumatized about the rape, she just wasn’t….” Ross started to explain but Ruby cut him off

“Charlie was raped?” Ruby said then she put her hand over her mouth and felt a tear rolling down her cheek. She got up from the couch and ran back up the stairs and slammed the door shut. Nicole walked over to her and hugged her as she cried.

“Eh Ross darling, what part of Charlie’s don’t tell Ruby about the rape speech didn’t you understand?”

“It just slipped out Morag, it was an accident” Ross said as he began to stand up. Morag pulled him back down onto the couch.

“Let me go” Morag said as she stood up and walked up the stairs. She knocked on the door and walked in to find Ruby still crying in Nicole’s arms. Nicole left the room and Ruby and Morag sat down on her bed.

“That was never meant to get out. At least not from Ross” Morag said. Ruby looked up at her and wiped the tears away from her eyes.

“She must hate me.” Ruby said

“Don’t be ridiculous Ruby”

“Well she must. I’m must be a constant reminder of what happened to her”

“Ruby, Charlie loves you very much. That’s obvious” Morag said trying to reassure her.

“I was so wrapped up in what this meant for me I never even gave Charlie a thought and what she must be feeling right now” Ruby said “I really have to talk to her, don’t I?” She continued

“Yes Ruby, I think you do” Morag said as she put her arm around her and gave her a hug.

“Charlie what are you doing here?” Angelo asked with a slightly puzzled look on his face.

“I don’t know. I shouldn’t have even come here. Sorry” Charlie said and she turned and started to walk away. Angelo ran out of the house took hold of Charlie’s arm and she turned back round.

“It’s ok. I’m glad you came round” Angelo smiled “Come in” he continued then Charlie and Angelo walked into the house.

“Can I get you a drink or anything to eat?” Angelo asked

“No I’m fine thanks” Charlie replied

“Take a seat” Angelo said as he pointed to the couch and Charlie walked across at sat down. Angelo followed her and sat next to her. They were silent for a few minutes before Angelo spoke.

“So how are you?” Angelo asked

“At the moment not good. Ruby hasn’t spoken to me for 3 days. Well expect for telling me she hated me and never wanted to see me again. But after finding out I am actually her mother I really can’t blame her.” Charlie stopped taking and looked round at Angelo. His mouth was open in shock at what he had heard.

“What? Did you just say Ruby was your daughter?” Angelo finally managed to speak. Charlie nodded and then started to speak again.

“After Ruby was born, I couldn’t bond with her. I couldn’t look at her without being reminded of that night. I felt so ashamed of myself and because dad wouldn’t do anything about it I couldn’t get any closure. I couldn’t cope so I ran away and stayed with my aunt for a year. When I got home Ruby didn’t know who I was and mum and dad said it would be best if they went on pretending she was their daughter and my sister. I was only 15 I couldn’t offer anything to her so I went along with it.”

“Wouldn’t do anything about what Charlie?” Angelo asked

“The reason I got pregnant. Angelo I was raped” Charlie cried then she stop talking and looked up at Angelo and wiped the tears from her eyes. Angelo moved closer to Charlie and put his arm around her. She leaned into him and he held her.

“Oh Charlie” Angelo said and he stroked her hair gently. A few minutes later and Charlie pulled away from the hug and wiped the tears from her eyes.

“Sorry, I should never have come here” Charlie said and she got up from the couch and walked to the front door.

“Charlie wait, don’t go” Angelo said as he ran after her. Charlie didn’t pay any attention to him but kept walking towards the car. She got into her car and drove back home. She walked into her bedroom and lay down on the bed and burst into tears.

The next day Charlie went into work to find Angelo sitting in her office.

“Hey, you ok today?” Angelo said

“I’m fine” Charlie replied

“Charlie, about last night...” Angelo started to speak

“Sorry about that, I shouldn’t have come and dumped everything on you like that” Charlie said, cutting him off.

“Charlie, I’m happy you felt you could tell me and I wanted to talk more and help you get through this. But I also have to know why did you come to me?” Angelo said and Charlie rubbed her forehead and let out a small sigh.

“I think you know the answer to that Angelo” Charlie said moving closer to him.

“I don’t know” Angelo said

“I trust you Angelo and I still love you” Charlie said and a huge grin appeared on Angelo’s face.

“I know I just wanted to hear you say it” Angelo smiled and he moved closer to Charlie and took hold of her hand. They stood there staring at each other and were about to kiss when Const. Watson walked into the room. Angelo stepped back quickly and left the room.

“What did he want?” Const. Watson asked

“Nothing that concerns you” Charlie replied

“Right then, can you sign this please?” Watson asked and she put a piece of paper down on Charlie’s desk. Charlie signed the form then Const. Watson left the room.

Charlie took a seat and started to work through the pile of paperwork that was on her desk. “Hey” Angelo said loudly as he walked back into the room with a big grin on his face.

“Hi” Charlie smiled back at him. Angelo walked across to her desk and sat on the edge and stared into her eyes as he took hold of her hand.

“So I love you and you love me” Angelo grinned

“Yeah that right” Charlie smiled and couldn’t help but give a childish giggle.

“So what happens now?” Angelo asked but before Charlie could reply her mobile started to ring. She looked down at the screen and couldn’t believe what she read. ‘Ruby Calling’

Thank you for your reviews, I love reading them. :)

Chapter 4

Charlie and Ruby had arranged to meet at Charlie’s place to talk about things. Charlie left the station and was somewhat apprehensive for what was about to take place. She went into the house and waited for Ruby to arrive. About 10 minutes had passed when she heard the door opening and Ruby walked through the house and into the living room.

“Hey Ruby, thanks for coming round” Charlie said and Ruby looked at her quickly before sitting down on the couch opposite where Charlie was sitting and bit her lip. Charlie and Ruby both sat there in silence not making eye contact before Ruby finally spoke.

“Why did you do it Charlie?” Ruby said making eye contact with Charlie for the first time since she found out the truth.

“I was only 14 when I got pregnant, just turned 15 when you were born. I was young. I didn’t know how to look after a baby. I tried Ruby. I really tried but it all became too much” Charlie said then she stopped talking and looked down at the floor.

“It must have been awful. What happened to you” Ruby said and Charlie looked back up at Ruby.

“You know about that?” Charlie said with a slightly puzzled look on her face. Ruby nodded her head slightly before speaking.

“Ross told me”

“He wasn’t supposed to tell you. I didn’t want you to know that Ruby” Charlie said as her eyes starting stinging and she could feel a tear falling down her cheek.

“I don’t think he realised he said it. It just kind of slipped out.” Ruby said as she moved across to the couch Charlie was sitting on and sat down beside her. She took Charlie’s hand in hers for a few seconds before letting it go again.

“You must really hate me” Ruby said as she felt a tear falling down her cheek.

“Ruby why would I hate you?”

“I’m a constant reminder of that night. Of what happened to you. Every time you look at me you must see him.” Ruby said as her tears became heavier.

“Ruby when I look at you I see a beautiful girl, my beautiful girl and that’s all. I see nothing of him in you” Charlie said as she took hold of Ruby’s hands.

“You don’t have to lie to me Charlie” Ruby said as she pulled her hands away and stood up.

“Ruby it’s the truth okay, I love you more than anything”

“So why did you pretend I was your sister” Ruby shouted

“When you were just a few months old, I ran away. No matter how much I tried, I just couldn’t bond with you. I couldn’t give you what you needed.” Charlie started to explain.

“You ran away?” Ruby shouted cutting her off.

“I’m sorry. I couldn’t cope Ruby. Knowing he wasn’t going to get punished just made it worse.”

“Why didn’t he get punished?”

“Dad had all these reasons” Charlie said

“Even so Charlie that still doesn’t excuse you abandoning me.”

“I’m sorry. I tried Ruby. I really tried to be a mother to you but every time I looked at you I....”

“Saw him and hated me” Ruby yelled cutting her off

“No Ruby I never hated you for 1 second. I hated myself. I felt ashamed with myself for what happened and it all became too much for me to handle. I was only 15 Ruby.”

“That still doesn’t excuse leaving me Charlie. And you still haven't said why you decided to pass me off as your sister” Ruby shouted and Charlie wiped the tears from her eyes.

“When I got back you’d bonded with mum and dad and didn’t know who I was. So we decided it was best to leave it that way”

“So you just gave up on your own daughter as easy as that. I’m outta here. This was a mistake” Ruby shouted as she ran out of the house.

“No Ruby wait” Charlie shouted as she chased after her but she wasn’t able to catch up with her.

Charlie once again found herself walking up to Angelo’s house. She rang the door bell and waited, hoping he would be home. She felt a smile coming to her face as the door was opening.

“Hey Charlie, come in” Angelo smiled. “So how did things go with Ruby?” he asked as they were walking down the hall and into the living room.

“Not great” Charlie said as she sat down on the couch and Angelo sat down next to her. “It’s probably just made it worse” She continued.

“If you want to talk about anything, I’m here” Angelo told her as she put his arm around her.

“Yeah I know. That’s why I’m sitting here now” Charlie said and Angelo smiled at her. She took a deep breath and told Angelo about the conversation with Ruby.

“She asked why we did it. So I told her I ran away and that she’d bonded with mum and dad and didn’t know who I was when I came home. I tried to explain why I ran away but she wasn’t having any of it and she got upset and ran off” I don’t know what to do Angelo. I can’t lose her.” Charlie said as a tear started to fall down her cheek. Angelo put his other arm around her held her tightly. He kissed her on the head and stroked her hair gently.

“It’s a lot for her to take Charlie. Just give her time and she will start to understand things.”

“You think?” Charlie asked and Angelo nodded his head slightly.

“Yeah I know so. You guys were to close for it not to Charlie”

“But its different now isn’t it? She thought I was her sister but then she finds out I’m her mum. It’ll never be the same Angelo”

“You’ll get it sorted” Angelo said then Charlie looked up at him and smiled.

“Thanks for being so supportive Angelo. I haven’t exactly been nice to you since you came back.”

“I thought you telling me you loved me was pretty nice” Angelo grinned and Charlie let out a little laugh. They looked deep into each other’s eyes and then they kissed softy.

Thank you for your comments! :)

Chapter 5

Charlie pulled away from the kiss and looked away from Angelo.

“I have wanted to do that ever since I came back” Angelo grinned as he took hold of Charlie’s hand. Charlie looked up at him and managed a half smile back.

“Angelo, I know I’ve said I love you but right now I can’t give you what you want” Charlie said as she avoided eye contact with him and pulled her hands away.

“What do you mean?” Angelo asked looking both slightly confused and disappointed.

“You want us to be in a relationship and right now I won’t be able to do that. There’s so much I need to sort out with Ruby. I just think I need to focus on that right now. I won’t really be good company” Charlie said and she looked down at the floor as she fiddled with the tie on her jacket. Angelo sighed lightly and took hold of Charlie’s hand.

“Charlie, I love you and would love to be in a relationship with you, but right now what you need is a friend you can turn to for support and comfort and I’m more than happy to be that friend”

“Thanks Angelo” Charlie smiled and leaned across in the seat and they hugged.

Ruby walked into the house and slammed the door shut. Nicole looked up at her and bit her lip.

“Guessing your talk with Charlie didn’t go so well?” Nicole asked as Ruby sat at the table next to her.

“She left me Nic. She ran away from home and left me for a year. How could she do that to me?” Ruby said as she could feel tears welling up in her eyes.

“Ruby, have you even tried to see this from Charlie’s point of view?” Nicole asked and Ruby shook her head. “So, did you even let her explain why she left you?”

“Sort of. I ran off while she was trying to” Ruby sighed heavily and got up from the seat and headed for the bedroom and Nicole was quick to get up and follow her.

“Ruby you need to give her a proper chance to talk. You want to sort this out don’t you? Nicole asked as she took hold of Ruby’s arm. Ruby’s eyes wondered around room and it was as if she wanted to avoid the question. She sat down on the bed and Nicole sat down next to her. Ruby sighed and shrugged her shoulders. They sat in silence for a few minutes before Ruby looked round at Nicole.

“Yeah I do.” Ruby said as she nodded her head slowly.

“Well you are going to have to be prepared to listen to Charlie and not fly of the handle when you hear something you don’t like. Just let her tell you what happened and talk about it calmly” Nicole said and Ruby looked up at her and smiled.

“Your right thanks Nic” Ruby said then she gave her friend a hug and took a deep breath. “Tomorrow, I will go round and try again”

Charlie was at the station doing some paper work when Ruby walked in. She looked up at her daughter and smiled and was surprised when Ruby smiled back at her.

“Hey, what brings you here?” Charlie said rather cautiously

“Yesterday didn’t go to well. I wanted to try again” Ruby said and Charlie smiled and nodded her head.

“You can come round to the house at lunchtime and we can talk then, if you want” Charlie said

“Yeah okay, see you later then” Ruby said and smiled at Charlie again before she left the station.

“Everything alright?” Angelo asked as he walked into her office and leaned against the edge of her desk.

“Yea fine” Charlie smiled “She is coming round to the house at lunchtime to talk.”

“That’s great Charlie, although I was actually coming in here to see if you fancied going to the diner for lunch but I don’t mind being rejected for Ruby” Angelo said then Charlie smiled at him and let out a small laugh.

“I just hope it goes better this time” Charlie said

“Yeah me too.” Angelo said and he stroked Charlie on the arm. “And I’ll be here if you need to talk about it” Angelo said and he smiled at her.

“Yeah thank you” Charlie smiled back at him then looked back down at her paperwork.

“Well I better get back to this” Charlie said as she picked her pen up and started to write something. Angelo smiled at her once more before leaving her office.

Charlie walked into the house to find Ruby was already sitting waiting in the living room.

“Hey” Ruby said as Charlie walked across the room and sat down next to her.

“Hey” Charlie smiled then there was silence and it was an awkward silence. Charlie bit her lip as Ruby looked round the room. At the same time they both took a deep breath and made to speak.

Charlie stopped talking and gestured her hand as for Ruby to speak first.

“First off I wanted to say sorry for yesterday. I wanted you to explain and when you started to I ran away just because I didn’t like what I heard” Ruby said

“It’s ok Ruby” Charlie said as she put her hand on Ruby’s knee. “There’s a lot to take.”

Ruby sighed lightly and nodded her head.

“I thought a lot about what you said last night, about you running away. I’m never going to understand how you felt but I can understand it wouldn’t have been easy for you and I don’t blame you for running away. It’s the fact that you let mum and dad raise me as their daughter and let everyone think I was your sister” Ruby said then she looked down at the floor.

“When I came back you’d obviously bonded with mum and dad and you didn’t know what I was. I was still determined I was going to be your mum but you didn’t seem to like me. For months every time I went near you, you would cry and scream. Took you ages to warm to me. Which is understandable, I wasn’t there for the first year of your life. In the end mum and dad decided it was best to just leave things the way they were. At the time it felt like the best decision, I was young, I was still in school and I didn’t have any money. I couldn’t care for a baby like mum and dad could.” Charlie stopped talking and put her head in her hands before looking back up at Ruby. “I’m so sorry, you have no idea how much I regret letting that happen. How much I wanted to be a mum to you” Charlie said

“Well you did get to be a pretty cool big sister instead” Ruby said as she punched Charlie lightly on the arm and smiled. Charlie smiled back at her and put her arm around her and they hugged.

Thank you all for the comments! :)

Chapter 6

They broke from the hug and looked at each other and smiled. Ruby bit her lip and looked down at the floor.

“What’s wrong? Charlie asked her as she put a hand on Ruby’s back.

“Do you ever think about….” Ruby stopped talking and stood up. “Never mind we’ve talked enough for today. I should get back to school” Ruby said as she started walking out of the room.

“Ruby wait” Charlie said and Ruby stopped walking and turned back around. She thought Ruby may ask about him but she didn’t think it would have happened so soon. She took a deep breath before speaking.

“No Ruby, I never think about him. I don’t ever want to think about him or see him ever again”

“Yeah that’s what I though” Ruby replied. “So you don’t know where he lives now or anything?”

Ruby asked rather cautiously.

“Why Ruby? You don’t want to contact him do you?” Charlie asked

Ruby stood there in silence looking down at the floor for a few seconds before looking back up at Charlie.

“No I don’t, I just wondered that’s all” Ruby said trying to sound convincing.

“Are you sure?” Charlie said sensing that Ruby wasn’t telling her the truth.

“Yeah positive” Ruby said quickly not making eye contact with Charlie “Anyways, I need to get back to school” Ruby sighed then she left the house. She walked into the school grounds and was immediately greeted by Nicole.

“Hey, so did it go better this time?” Nicole asked

“Yeah it did” Ruby smiled

“Great” Nicole said “So you think you will be moving home soon?” Nicole asked

“We are a long way off living together again Nic” Ruby said as they walked into the building and Nicole looked at her friend and nodded. Ruby took a deep breath and grabbed hold of Nicole’s wrist.

“Uhm, Nicole” Ruby said and Nicole stopped walking and turned to face Ruby

“Yeah?” Nicole said curiously

“Is it wrong for me to want to meet my dad?” Ruby asked and Nicole stood there in silence for a few moments before shrugging her shoulders.

“I don’t know Ruby. Maybe you should speak to Charlie about it”

“I tried to ask about him but she said she never wanted to think about him or see him ever again so I don’t think she will go for me meeting him” Ruby said

“Well can you blame her? Why do you even want to meet him after what he did to her?”

“I just want to know what he is like” Ruby said then the bell rang indicating they needed to get back to class. “No matter what he did, at the end of the day he is still my dad” Ruby continued completely ignoring the fact the bell had rung and the mass of students walking through the corridors as if they appeared from nowhere.

“Well I think it’s a bad idea and if I were you I wouldn’t try to find him. Think about what it will make Charlie feel like if you try to contact him” Nicole said before she turned around and walked off to class. Ruby watched Nicole walk away and she let out a sigh. She knew Nicole was right and that it was a bad idea to contact him and would probably make things even worse with Charlie but she had this overwhelming urge to contact him and she just couldn’t shake it off. She let out another sigh before walking into the classroom.

Charlie had been invited to Angelo’s house for dinner. At first she was hesitant to accept the invitation as she was scared Angelo would see it as something more and want to move their relationship on. But the more she thought about it the more ridiculous she thought she sounded. Angelo said he was happy being friends and she believed him. She got herself ready then drove to Angelo’s house. He greeted her with a hug before inviting her in.

“So how did the chat go with Ruby today?” Angelo asked as they sat down at the table.

“A lot better than yesterday’s anyway. I think she understands now why we did it or a least she is beginning to.” Charlie said and Angelo nodded his head and smiled.

“That’s great, so things can only get better for you two now” Angelo smiled again and Charlie looked down and bit her lip.

“Well that depends if Ruby doesn’t do something stupid” Charlie said

“Something stupid? What do you mean? Angelo asked

“I think she wants to try to contact him. Grant I mean” Charlie said looking back up at Angelo.

“What makes you think that Charlie?”

“She asked if I ever thought about him. If I knew where he lived. When I asked why she wanted to know she said she just wondered and then when I asked if she wanted to contact him she said no but she didn’t sound to convincing”

“Right. So you don’t actually no for sure she wants to meet him?”

“Well no but, I’m pretty sure she is thinking about it.” Charlie replied

“Well you are going to have to speak to her about it. Make her see it’s not a good idea” Angelo said

“Yeah, I just don’t know if she will listen to me” Charlie said then let out a sigh. “Anyway how are you? How has your day been?

“Yea good thanks” Angelo smiled, before he dished up the dinner. They enjoyed the meal and each others company for the rest of the evening before Charlie decided it was time to go home. She was about to walk into the house when she got a phone call from Ruby.

“Hey Rubes, how are you?”

“Hey, yeah I’m fine. Can you come round? I want to talk to you about something?”

“Yeah sure, there was actually something I wanted to talk to you about” Charlie said as she turned around and made her way back to her car. “I’ll come right over” she continued before hanging up and driving over to Miles’ place. She knocked on the door and Ruby let her in. They walked across to the couch and sat down, neither of them quite sure where to look and there was an awkward silence once again before Charlie started to speak.

“So what was it you wanted to talk about?” She asked turning to face Ruby. Ruby took a deep breath and began to speak.

“I want to talk to you about Grant” Ruby said not making eye contact with Charlie. Charlie nodded her head and exhaled lightly.

“That’s what I wanted to talk about too” Charlie said nodding her head slightly. She took a deep breath and was fiddling with the tie on her jacket.

“Charlie, If your not ready to talk about it we can wait” Ruby said noticing how uncomfortable Charlie looked at the topic of the conversation they were about to have.

“No Rubes, its okay, we have to talk about him sooner or later” Charlie said as she looked up at Ruby. She took another deep breath before asking Ruby the question.

“So do you want to contact him?” Charlie asked and Ruby nodded her head slightly.

“Yes I do” She said slowly

“Why Ruby, do you want some sort of relationship with him?” Charlie asked

“No not at all. Ross is my dad, he always has been and he always will be. I just want to see what he is like. I want him to pay for what he did to you Charlie”

“Ruby, how is contacting him going to make him pay. There is nothing you can do Ruby. Please just leave it and focus on us getting things sorted” Charlie said and Ruby looked at her. She could see the hurt in her eyes.

“But don’t you want to make him pay?” Ruby asked

“I did at the time yes. But now I don’t care what happens to him. He is out of my life and I never have to face him again and that’s they way I want it to stay” Charlie said and Ruby nodded her head.

“I just wanted him to suffer Charlie. I hate him for what he did to you and he didn’t get punished. I wanted to help you” Ruby said and Charlie looked at her and smiled.

“You can help me Ruby. You can help me by not contacting him and keeping him out of our lives” Charlie said and Ruby nodded.

“Okay, I promise I wont try to contact him” Ruby said then she smiled at Charlie and they hugged.

Chapter 7

Two weeks had passed and Ruby and Charlie had only spoken to each other two or three times and even then it wasn’t for long. It was awkward, mostly being made so on Ruby’s part. No matter how much Charlie tried Ruby didn’t seem interested anymore and half the time it seemed like she wasn’t paying attention to what Charlie was saying. After turning her down 3 times Ruby finally agreed to meeting Charlie for lunch in diner. Charlie arrived first and took a seat and waited for Ruby to arrive. After she had waited a while, Colleen came across to the table.

“Afternoon Senior Constable. How are you today?”

“I’m fine thanks Colleen” Charlie said glancing down at her watch.

“What can I get for you?”

“I’m waiting for Ruby to come so I don’t want to order just now thanks” Charlie said then she looked at her watch again and sighed. “Although she’s 15 mins late. Question if she is even going to come” Charlie said

“Alright then” Colleen said and she started to walk away “Oh and I’m fine too thanks for asking Senior Constable” Colleen muttered as she walked away. Charlie couldn’t help but let out a small laugh then she bit her lip to stop herself as Colleen glared back at her. Angelo walked into the diner and smiled at Charlie and she smiled back at him. He walked up to the counter and looked at Colleen.

“Afternoon Colleen and how are you today?” Angelo asked but was then taken aback by the look Colleen gave him. Angelo turned his head to face Charlie.

“If looks could kill” Angelo muttered and Charlie laughed again. Colleen gave Charlie another glare then looked back at Angelo.

“What do you want to order Constable?” Colleen asked

“One coffee to go please” Angelo said then he walked over to Charlie and sat down next to her.

“So is this what you do when you get a day off? Sit alone in the diner and annoy Colleen? Angelo asked

“Yeah its fun” Charlie giggled and Angelo laughed “No, I’m waiting on Ruby we are meeting for lunch” Charlie said

“Oh great what time are you meeting her at?” Angelo asked and Charlie looked down at her watch.

“Twenty minutes ago” Charlie sighed as she rubbed her forehead.

“Maybe she just got held up somewhere” Angelo said trying to reassure her.

“Yeah or maybe she just isn’t going to come” Charlie sighed. Colleen walked across to the table and put the coffee down in front of Angelo without saying anything to him. She looked round at Charlie and shook her head.

“You want to keep better company Senior Constable” Colleen said before walking away into the kitchen.

“She just loves me doesn’t she?” Angelo grinned and Charlie laughed.

“Anyways I should get back out on patrol. See you later” Angelo said

“Yeah bye” Charlie smiled as Ruby finally walked into the diner but Charlie noticed she was not alone.

“Invited Nic along too” Ruby said and they sat down at the table. Charlie looked at Ruby and sighed.

“Where have you been?” Charlie asked

“At the house” Ruby answered

“So how come you are late?”

“Oh we were listening to a new CD” Ruby said casually and Charlie gave her a rather puzzled look and sighed.

“Well at least you are here now I guess” Charlie said then she looked across the table at Nicole. “And Nicole” She muttered under her breath. Ruby walked up to the counter to order lunch and Nicole and Charlie stared at each other.

“Sorry Charlie, I know you probably wanted to talk to Ruby alone, but this was the only way I could get her to come have lunch with you”

“So she wasn’t going to come?” Charlie asked sounding rather upset

“No she wasn’t. I’m really sorry Charlie” Nicole said and Charlie looked round at Ruby and sighed. Ruby walked back across to the table and sat down and looked at Charlie. Ruby smiled at her and Charlie managed a forced smile back.

“So how are things with you and Xavier?” Charlie asked after breaking the awkward silence. Nicole and Ruby looked at each other and Ruby sniggered.

“We broke up like two weeks ago” Ruby said then she laughed again

“Oh right sorry. Well didn’t you tell me?” Charlie asked

“I didn’t realise I had to tell you every little thing about myself Charlie”

“It’s not a little thing Ruby. You broke up with your boyfriend”

“Oh like you tell me everything about yourself” Ruby retorted and Charlie sighed.

“Ruby I thought we got passed that” Charlie said

“Oh I’m not talking about that huge lie you kept for 16 years” Ruby said

“Well what are you talking about then?” Charlie asked sounding confused

“That you go out with a cop killer”

“Ruby, me and Angelo are just friends” Charlie told her

“Could have fooled me” Ruby said raising her voice getting a few stares from other people in the diner.

“Guys maybe you should have this chat somewhere else” Nicole said and Ruby and Charlie looked round at her and they both sighed.

“Yeah or maybe I should just go” Ruby said and she got up from the table and stormed out of the diner and Charlie was quick to follow after her.

“Ruby wait” Charlie shouted but Ruby just kept walking. “Ruby” Charlie shouted again but Ruby started to walk even faster. Angelo ran up from the beach and took hold of Charlie.

“Just let her go” Angelo said as he held Charlie back.

Thank you so much for commenting. I really hope you are enjoying this.

Chapter 8

Charlie answered the door to find Morag standing at the other side.

“Hello Charlie” Morag said as she walked into the house

“Hey Morag, what’s wrong is it dad?” Charlie asked as they were walking through the house.

“No Ross is fine” Morag said “But he is rather worried about you and Ruby so I’ve came down for the weekend to see if you are alright” Morag continued.

“Oh right ok” Charlie said as they took a seat in the living room.

“So my first question is, is it okay if I stay here?” Morag asked

“Yeah its fine” Charlie replied.

“Great. So how are things going with you and Ruby?” Morag asked and Charlie exhaled lightly and rubbed her forehead.

“It’s like she doesn’t even want to know me now. If she ever does meet me she just finds a way to pick an argument and then she storms off. Things just keep getting worse and I don’t know what to do.” Charlie sighed and Morag put her hand onto Charlie’s arm.

“It’s going to take time Charlie and it’s not going to be easy. But I have no doubt Ruby will come round eventually.” Morag said and Charlie just sat there with her head in her hands.

“Well I’m done trying Morag. I keep getting knocked back and having argument after argument with her. That’s only making things worse. It’s up to her now” Charlie said as she got up from the seat and made her way to the door. “Sorry, I have to get to work. Will speak to you properly tonight” Charlie said then she left the house.

On her way to the police station Charlie walked passed Ruby and Nicole. Normally if she saw her she would stop and try to speak to her but today she just walked right passed her.

“She didn’t even try to speak to me” Ruby said sounding rather upset as she looked round at Nicole.

“Well can you blame her?” Nicole said sharply

“What’s what supposed to mean? Ruby asked

“Well you haven’t exactly been nice to her lately have you? You ignore her most of the time and if you ever do speak your just plain horrible and cause arguments” Nicole said

“Well I have reason’s Nicole” Ruby shouted

“Really? What are those reasons Ruby? Whether she is your mum or your sister, I wouldn’t shut her out of your life. She loves you so much Ruby and she would do anything for you. You have no idea how lucky you are to have someone that. If my mum was half as nice as Charlie I would consider myself lucky.” Nicole shouted then she started to walk away from Ruby.

“What so you are taking her side now?” Ruby shouted as she chased after her and Nicole turned round.

“I’m not taking anyone’s side Ruby. I’m trying to get my friend to see sense” Nicole said then she walked away. Ruby sighed then walked down to the beach and sat on the sand and looked out into the ocean. She sat there for at least an hour before getting up and heading home. She walked into the house and ignored Nicole who was sitting on the couch and ran up to the bedroom and slammed the door shut. Nicole ran up after her and walked into the bedroom.

“Hey, you alright?” Nicole asked

“Yeah” Ruby answered quickly

“Ruby I’m sorry if you felt I was harsh before”

“No you were right. I need to talk to Charlie. I want to talk to Charlie. It’s just I don’t know what to think anymore Nicole. I mean who is she? Is she my mum or my sister? I don’t know what to think of her as and I don’t know what I can and can’t speak to her about anymore. We were so close and told each other everything. Can I still have that kind of relationship with her now?” Ruby sighed and put her head in her hands. Nicole walked over to Ruby’s bed and sat down beside her.

“Depends what you and Charlie want. Honestly right now I think Charlie would be over the moon if you said just hello to her” Nicole said.

“Yea you are probably right” Ruby said and she smiled at her friend. “Thanks Nic you’ve really been great lately”

“No problem” Nicole smiled and they hugged.

Charlie was busying herself with her paperwork when Angelo walked into the office. He took his usual position at the edge of her desk.

“What’s wrong?” Angelo asked as he handed her a coffee.

“Thanks” Charlie said she took the coffee from him.

“You’re welcome. So I will ask you again, what’s wrong?”

“And what makes you think there is something wrong?” Charlie asked

“Because I know you Charlie. I can tell” Angelo said then he smiled at her

“I will give you one guess” Charlie said before taking a drink of her coffee.

“Ruby” Angelo said as he nodded his head

“Yup got it in one” Charlie replied

“Things still really bad then? Angelo asked her

“Yes and I’ve decided to stop trying with her as well. I can’t do this much longer Angelo. It’s been over a month and all I have had from her is attitude and grief. I can’t deal with it. She obviously wants nothing more to do with me.” Charlie cried and Angelo stood up and took Charlie’s hands. He pulled her up from her chair and into a hug.

“You are really going to give up on her?” Angelo asked but Charlie didn’t answer him. She just stood there holding onto Angelo tightly.

“You ok” Angelo asked her as they eventually broke from the hug and he wiped the tears from her eyes.

“Yeah I’m fine” Charlie said and she sat back down on the seat. Angelo smiled at her and looked down at his watch.

“Our shifts are over in half an hour. I can treat you to some dinner if you are up for it”

“Yeah I’d like that thanks” Charlie smiled before picking up her pen and finishing off her paperwork. As they walked into the diner Charlie saw Ruby and Nicole sitting at a table talking to a man.

“Oh my god” Charlie said and she started to walk across to the table.

“Charlie what is it?” Angelo said

“You see that man there with Ruby?” Charlie said as she pointed across the diner to the table. “That’s Grant”

Sorry the delay in posting this chapter! Thanks for commenting and I hope you like this next part. :)

Chapter 9

Charlie walked quickly across to the table and grabbed Ruby’s arm and pulled her off the seat avoiding making any contact with Grant.

“How could you do this to me Ruby? Do you hate me that much that you don’t care what I say anymore. You promised me. You promised Ruby” Charlie shouted causing everyone else in the diner to look round at Charlie.

“What promise? What have I done?” Ruby said sounding rather confused.

“Well well well, Charlie Buckton. Long time no see. How have you been?” Grant said smugly as he stood up and took hold of her hand.

“Don’t touch me! Stay away from me” Charlie shouted as she pulled back and grabbed onto Angelo’s arm tightly.

“I don’t understand. What’s wrong Charlie?” Ruby asked

“You contacted him after you promised you wouldn’t” Charlie yelled

“Charlie, I haven’t contacted him, I swear” Ruby said feeling even more confused.

“Then how is he sitting there talking to you?” Charlie shouted and Ruby looked round at Grant with a shocked look on her face.

“Charlie, I think we should take this somewhere else. You are being a bit disruptive” Angelo said as he looked round the room at the diner’s who were all watching what was going on. Charlie stormed out of the diner and ran onto the beach. She sat down in the sand and her whole body was shaking with fear. Ruby ran down onto the beach and sat down next to her.

“Charlie I swear I didn’t contact him”

“Then how come he is here. Why was he speaking to you?” Charlie asked looking directly out in front of her and avoiding eye contact with Ruby.

“Me and Nic were having a drink and talking when he walked up to us. He said he was thinking of moving here and wanted to know a bit about the place” Ruby said and Charlie put her head in her hands.

“I’m sorry Charlie. I didn’t know it was him. If I did I wouldn’t have spoken to him” Ruby said and Charlie looked at her and sighed. “You do believe me, don’t you?” Ruby asked and Charlie shrugged her shoulders.

“Can you really blame me if I didn’t? The way you have been acting lately I don’t know what to think” Charlie said and Ruby looked down at her hand that was playing with the sand.

“Charlie I didn’t contact Grant. I wouldn’t even know how to start to look for someone. All I had was his first name” Ruby said.

“It’s okay, I believe you” Charlie said as she nodded her head. Then they both sat there not looking at each other and not talking. A few minutes later Charlie heard shouting coming from behind her and she turned around to see Angelo and Grant fighting. She ran up to them and pulled Angelo off Grant.

“What the hell are you doing?” Charlie shouted, her body trembling with fear at seeing Grant again.

“He just punched me from nowhere, didn’t he Nicole”

“Uhm yeah” Nicole said

“You threatened me. Accused me of rape. There were reasons” Grant replied

“Just get out of this town and never come back” Angelo said as he pushed Grant back. Grant looked at Ruby and then to Charlie and smiled smugly before he walked away.

“Oh Charlie” Ruby said she moved forward to hug her but Charlie walked away from her and into Angelo’s arms.

“Charlie” Ruby said again but she didn’t get any response from her. She didn’t even look at her. Ruby sighed before walking away and Nicole was quick to follow her. Charlie pulled away from the hug but kept one hand firmly on his arm.

“Can you take me home?” Charlie asked him and Angelo nodded before they started to walk away. They walked into the house and took a seat in the living room, Angelo with his arm around Charlie who was still a bit shaken up at seeing Grant for the first time in over 16 years.

“What if he comes back Angelo?” Charlie asked

“Then he will have me to deal with” Angelo replied

“Angelo” Charlie said then she gave him a look “You wouldn’t do anything stupid if he did come back would you?”

“No of course I wouldn’t” Angelo replied. Then Morag walked into the living room and she didn’t look pleased to find Angelo sitting with his arm around Charlie.

“What’s going on here?” Morag asked causing Charlie to jump up in the seat and turn around. “Charlie please tell me you two are not an item?”

“No we-” Angelo started to speak but Charlie cut him off

“So what if we were Morag” Charlie replied

“Charlie dear are you aware that this man is responsible for destroying my niece’s happiness”

“Yeah just like you are aware that Angelo and I were a couple before that happened”

“Well it doesn’t mean you have to become a couple again Charlie” Morag said and Charlie shook her head.

“I can’t just flick a switch and all of a sudden have no feelings for him Morag. I love him and what happened with Jack was just a terrible accident and I can get past that” Charlie told her and Morag sighed.

“Very well.” Morag said as she took a seat on a chair. “Let’s just focus on the bigger problem here. Have you spoken to Ruby at all today?” Morag asked and Charlie nodded her head.

“Briefly” Charlie said before looking round at Angelo.

“We walked into the diner to find Ruby talking with Grant” Angelo told her and her mouth opened with shock.

“Ruby contacted him?” Morag asked and Charlie looked back round at her and shook her head.

“She said that he approached her and started speaking to her about the area. That he was thinking of moving here”

“And you believe her?” Morag asked and Charlie nodded her head.

“I do. I would be able to tell if she was lying. She didn’t contact him. But now I’m just worried that she has seen him and he knows we live here that he’ll be back” Charlie said then she leaned into Angelo and he hugged her.

“I could always arrest him for assaulting me” Angelo said. “Put pressure on him and get him to confess to what he did. Then he will be in jail where he belongs” Angelo said and Morag cleared her throat.

“Not the only person who belongs in jail is he, Angelo?” Morag said and Angelo sighed.

“Morag, I am deeply sorry for what happened. But it was an accident, a mistake and I couldn’t hate myself anymore for what I’ve done. If it wasn’t for Charlie letting me back into her life I probably wouldn’t be here today” Angelo said then he got up from the couch and walked out of the living room. Charlie glared at Morag before following Angelo. She found him standing in the kitchen with his head in his hands. She walked up to him and put her arms around him and he lifted his head and looked at her and put his arms around her.

“Angelo what are we doing?” Charlie asked and Angelo looked around the room briefly before back at Charlie.

“I would say standing in the kitchen with our arms around one another” Angelo said then he grinned.

“Angelo I’m being serious. We both want to be together so really what’s stopping us?” Charlie asked and Angelo stood there silent for a few moments before talking.

“You are going through a lot at the moment Charlie” Angelo said

“And you are not?” Charlie asked “You’ve had to come back to this town and live amongst Jacks friends and family. You aren’t exactly having an easy time of it either”

“Having you in my life is enough, Charlie. I don’t care about what anyone else thinks of me” Angelo said and Charlie smiled. They looked deep into each other’s eyes and kissed softly.

“So are we a couple now?” Angelo asked and Charlie smiled and nodded her head slightly before she kissed him again.

Thank you so much for commenting. This isnt exactly going as planned but hopefully it'll sort itself out soon! :unsure:

Chapter 10

“I can’t believe she thought I contacted him after I promised I wouldn’t” Ruby shouted as she slammed the door shut and sat down on her bed.

“You have to admit, it would have looked like that was the case Ruby” Nicole said as she sat down beside her.

“Yeah I guess” Ruby sighed “What if he comes back Nic?” Ruby asked and Nicole sat in silence with a blank expression on her face.

“I don’t know, Ruby” Nicole eventually replied as she shrugged her shoulders.

“Or worse, what if he does move here” Ruby said but again Nicole just shrugged her shoulders. Ruby threw herself back to lie down on the bed. She put her hands over her face and sighed. After a few minutes she got up from the bed and made her way down the stairs and out of the house. She was walking along the road when a car pulled up beside her. Ruby looked round to find Grant staring back at her. She looked away from him and kept walking, but he kept driving at a slow pace asking her to stop and let him explain.

“Please, it’s only fair I get to give you my side of the story”

“Leave me alone” Ruby shouted and she changed the direction in which she was walking. Grant stopped the car and started to run after her. He grabbed her arm and swung her round. She pulled her arm away and took a few steps back from him.

“Please just let me have my say” Grant said and Ruby stood there staring at him for a few moments before slowly nodding her head.

“Okay. Talk” Ruby said.

“Not here in the middle of the road. Can’t we at least go sit down somewhere? Grant asked.

“Fine then follow me” Ruby sighed before she started to walk away.

Ruby and Grant were sitting in the Surf Club in silence. Ruby was looking around the room then eventually she looked at Grant.

“Well go on then. Say what you wanted to say”

“Look whatever Charlie told you it’s a lie. I didn’t force myself on her”

“Charlie wouldn’t lie about that” Ruby said raising her voice slightly

“What you mean like she’s lied to you for the last 16 years about who she really is” Grant said and Ruby at there in silence before shaking her head.

“She wouldn’t lie about that” Ruby said again.

“What makes you so sure? She lied about being your mother so doesn’t that prove she could be lying about this as well?” Grant asked

“She lied about that to protect me” Ruby replied

“Ruby please” Grant said as he put his hand onto hers but she pulled it away quickly.

“Do I look like the kind of guy that could do that?” he continued and Ruby shrugged her shoulders.

“I don’t know you. Why should I believe you over Charlie” Ruby said

“Because I’m telling the truth. I didn’t rape her”

“She looked terrified when she saw you before. How can you explain that if you didn’t hurt her?” Ruby asked and Grant shrugged his shoulders.

“Okay, so maybe I pressured her into it, but believe me when I say I didn’t rape her” Grant said

“Okay” Ruby said then she stood up to leave.

“So you believe me?” Grant asked

“No, but you have had your say so now you can leave me alone and don’t come back here” Ruby said then she walked away. Grant followed after her and grabbed her arm just as Charlie and Angelo walked into the Surf Club.

“I said leave me alone” Ruby shouted as Angelo ran up to him and pushed him away.

“What did I tell you about getting out of this town?” Angelo shouted

“Angelo just leave him please” Charlie shouted as she tried to pull Angelo away from Grant. “Angelo” Charlie shouted again.

“You can’t make me do anything” Grant replied

“Yeah? How about I take you down to the station for assaulting a police officer” Angelo said then Grant shook his head.

“Angelo please leave it” Charlie shouted again but he didn’t seem to listen to her.

“You fought back. You will probably land yourself in trouble as well” Grant smirked before walking away. “Oh and you haven’t seen the last of me. She deserves to know the truth” he said before leaving the Surf Club.

“I already know the truth” Ruby shouted then she looked up at Charlie. Angelo walked over to her and made to take hold of her but Charlie pulled back and ran out of the Surf Club. Angelo was about to chase after her but Ruby stopped him.

“You didn’t listen to her Angelo. She asked you to stop shouting at him. She wanted you to walk away. But you didn’t listen” Ruby said then she shook her head.

“I need to go talk to her” Angelo said before trying to walk away again but Ruby took hold of his arm and he stopped walking and looked round at her.

“No, I need to go talk to her” Ruby said before leaving the Surf Club.

Ruby found Charlie sitting on the beach letting clumps of sand fall through her fingers. She sat down beside her and took a deep breath before talking.

“You ok?” Ruby asked and Charlie nodded her head slowly.

“I’ll be fine” Charlie said.

“It can’t be easy for you seeing him again” Ruby said

“I’m just trying not to think too much about it” Charlie replied and Ruby nodded her head slowly. “Sorry Ruby but I have to ask you. What were you doing talking to him again?” Charlie asked and Ruby took a deep breath before explaining.

“I was on my way to speak to you when I saw him. He wanted me to let him explain what he thinks happened. I just thought if I gave him 5 minutes to say what he wanted then he would be happy and leave here and never come back” Ruby said as she look down at the sand and started to play with it.

“You were on your way to speak to me?” Charlie asked sounding rather surprised.

“Yeah, I was. But then he got in the way” Ruby replied.

“What did he say to you?” Charlie asked.

“He denied it, obviously. I’m sorry Charlie” Ruby said looking at her for the first time since they started talking.

“Hey, what have you got to be sorry for?” Charlie asked and Ruby shrugged her shoulders.

“You’ve tried so hard this past month to sort things out but I’ve just been awful. I don’t know how you put up with it” Ruby said

“Honestly, I wasn’t Ruby and you probably don’t want to hear this but I was ready to give up trying. It just seemed to make things worse, so I thought maybe if I left it for a while and not put as much pressure on you to talk to me then things would eventually sort themselves out” Charlie said slowly.

“I don’t blame you for thinking that. I was so selfish, you have every right to cut me out of your life” Ruby replied

“Ruby I could never cut you out of my life” Charlie said as she put her arm around her daughter.

“Good. Because despite my behaviour for the last month, I would never want that to happen” Ruby said and Charlie smiled.

“So where do we go from here?” Ruby asked

“Honestly Ruby, I don’t know” Charlie replied slightly shrugging her shoulders. They sat in silence for a while before Ruby spoke.

“Well maybe I could move home and we can work things out” Ruby suggested and Charlie bit her lip.

“Let’s not rush things Ruby” Charlie replied “It’s probably going to make it easier for us to get things back on track if you are still at Miles’ place” Charlie replied and Ruby nodded her head slowly.

“Yeah, you’re probably right” Ruby said then she smiled. “Well how about we meet for lunch tomorrow?” Ruby asked

“Yeah I’d love that” Charlie smiled and Ruby leaned her head against Charlie’s shoulder and they sat in silence for a while listening to the soothing sound of the ocean, watching as the waves gently lapped against the rocks.

Archived