Roo Stewart - Justine Clarke & Georgie Parker

I like the way Georgie plays Roo - very relaxed and easy going. She has quirky dialogue too and a good sense of humour. I wonder how much is in the writing and how much is in the portrayal.

Although she delivers her lines differently than I think Justine Clarke would, I could picture those lines coming from the character Justine created all those years ago. I can imagine Justine's Roo developping into Georgie's Roo during all those years off screen.

I like Roo and I like the motherly relationship she has with Nicole it's sweet. I don't think i'd like her and Sid together though

I like Roo since she returned to Summer Bay :) And yeah I agree about the motherly relationship she had with Nicole-it's really sweet. I liked the hug Roo gave to Nicole on Thursday night in Episode 5279 here in NZ.

Sid and Roo...I won't mind if they end up together as a couple.

I like Roo, I think she's the kind of character they've been trying to create for a while.Someone who's a bit of a mother figure for the younger characters but still has a fun side to her and is far from perfect yet still likeable.I wouldn't mind if her and Sid got together, so long as he and Marilyn were finished first rather than her ending up as a relationship wrecker.

Roo is one of my favorite characters of the current cast and as you say Red Ranger, she seems to be the character the producers have been trying to come up with for a good while. There is also this warmth Georgie brings to the character that I really enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It’s funny I can still remember watching some of the episodes with Roo when I was a kid and recall taking quite a fancy to her (who wouldn’t). I remember looking forward to every episode she was in. Anyway that was a long time ago and the actress has been replaced, regardless I see that as a different character to the one now. I generally don’t like them bringing back old characters as I feel it quite often reeks of desperation as rather than bringing someone back they should be focusing on developing new roles. With Roo it was different as there was a lot of stuff that happened that I felt she should have been present for but wasn’t however the writers definitely should have really brought her back when Martha was still around. TBH I would have preferred if they’d used the original actor but irrespective of what I felt about her before and whether I wanted the original actress I did quite like her return at first. I’ve been following at UK pace since she returned from laundering the money Hugo gave to Xavier and noting some of the comments and judging by those and some of the ones in this thread, I feel the general consensus is that a lot of people hold her in fairly high regard. Unfortunately that is a view I don’t share. In fact I’ve been biting my tongue for some time and this week was the final straw for me and my main motivation for posting here is to express my frustration with this particular character. What seemed like a bright start has now reached the point where I feel the less I see of her the better irrespective of how much at fault she is.

The first thing which bothers me is the fact that with the exception of Coleen and Marilyn (and maybe Morag) virtually the entire population of Summer Bay thinks that the sun shines out of her backside. In fact shortly after she rocked she almost had a liaison with Miles and Angelo seemed to take an instant liking to her and certainly the case with Angelo I got the impression when she turned him down she felt she was out of his league. And now it seems as though “Doctor Dish” has fallen for her charm. Almost as if she’s irresistible. I know that Sid never wanted George and had problems in his relationship with Marilyn but it really annoys me every time there’s a problem he keeps running to her and hanging around her like some lost puppy rather than talking things through with his partner. The main reason Sid did agree to adopt was because he was really into Marilyn at first and didn’t want to lose her. I’m pretty sure Roo knows that Sid’s into her and a lot of the time when he wants to talk it’s also an excuse to see her. She likes him so she knows there’s bound to be problems.

I find it incredibly frustrating that in any given situation she seems the ONLY person who is able to give any sound advice. I’ve lost count of how many people have coming running to her with problems – Nicole with advice on her baby and the situation with Marilyn, Romeo about Ruby and Indy, Sid about Romeo and Marilyn, Indy about Sid and Romeo etc and every time what she says in meaningful but with other people namely Irene and Miles their guidance doesn’t seem up to scratch. I specifically recall when Bianca didn’t know what do about Liam and Irene advised her to leave him to his own devices. You’d think that considering she’s been in exactly the same situation as he, she would know better. With Miles the whole business when Casey didn’t know what to do about Ruby and Miles advised him to by her flowers and she angrily rejected them. Also Miles needed to enlist Elijah’s help at first when Romeo had the STD. Sid (with his pathological dislike for Romeo) doesn’t want to give him the time of day, Marilyn tries to get him to be more opened minded when Romeo and Indy were getting back together, he remains stubborn, has a go at Romeo after seeing him with another girl (completely innocently), Roo has a word with him and he goes straight over to the boat to apologise for being hostile to him earlier on – Unbelievable!

What also bothers me is her screen time. I feel she is in too many episodes and features quite heavily. Obviously she was brought in the fill the void in Alf’s absence and she was chosen solely because she is his daughter but it almost feels for me like she is supposed to be a better replacement. Quite a few of the episodes Alf was in, within his weekly count they were very much cameos but Roo seems to significantly impact any episode she’s in (and anyway Alf’s iconic). And I feel this is the writers fault as much as anyone. With Alf gone I thought it was the perfect opportunity to really have more involvement from characters such as Irene, Miles and Morag but it now feels as though they’ve remained relegated at support roles or made token appearances. It was only really last week that we saw Irene in a reasonable number of episodes up until then we’d see her occasionally serving food at the Diner. Again with Miles all they’ve really focused on was the stuff with Elijah and Leah although he has been a bit better this week. I’ve been very disappointed in the amount of screen time Morag’s had. She was the character I was looking forward to seeing the most when Alf left and she showed up and I got the impression when Morag returned she was supposed to be taking over his mantle.

This last week for me with Roo has been an absolute joke. I’m certainly no fan of Marilyn, in fact she has annoyed me intensely with her whole pursuit of George. And I’m really glad Nicole ended up with her baby and Marilyn should never have gone to her in the first place but this whole business with the conclusion of the kidnapping has been quite annoying. Roo just happened to be at the airport the same time as Marilyn and just happened to go into the toilet when Marilyn was there, talk her out of skipping the country with George and save the day. So it’s Roo the saint and Marilyn the devil incarnate. And then when Marilyn understandably told her to back off regarding Sid, Roo had the audacity to claim to Laura that she (and ONLY she) kept Marilyn out of prison. Please...what Marilyn did was wrong and she needs some sort of help/counselling but what good will it do sending her to jail even if it did come to that. To top it off I was shaking my head and rolling my eyes when Leah said “Is there anything you can’t do?”

It’s funny how she pretty much seems the Jack of all trades – The perfect housemate, the only person who can promote John’s business, the only person who knows what to do in any given situation, the only decent agony aunt, the only person Liam could confide in about Bianca and divulging his destination before leaving, the only person who could rescue George from the evil clutches of Marilyn, the only person who could save Marilyn from going to prison, the only person who could fix the boat or at least get it started when Romeo couldn’t. Admittedly the boat broke down but let’s face Alf, Scott or Kane would have been proud...