Annie/Romeo

For me Annie has grown up a lot since we first saw her in H&A, Romeo though when I first saw him flirting with Martha :P didnt at all look 16/17 more like 20/21 but as time has gone on; I have grown to like him. I do think there will be problems when Annie returns because I doubt Romeo can keep his tension with Jai from Annie. She has become a lot more perceptive and I hope we see more of their closeness that we saw before she left.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^Well, sorry, if I keep dragging you back into a conversation you don't want by making you answer me (and, er, happy new year to you too)but...I'm not going to pretend that if Annie knew the poems were from Jai she'd go running back into his arms, even though I'd dearly love it for that to happen. But with regards your earlier point that Romeo was "weak" rather than "scheming", it's hard to interpret him hand delivering a poem to her and implictly taking credit for the ones Jai sent, hardly a spur of the moment decision, as anything other than a manipulative act, designed to mislead her and derail Jail's own attempt.I accept he did sort of confess what he'd done but it was very vague and Annie was too busy being childish to really listen so I still don't think she's realised what happened.

I do see something vaguely contradictory about your assertion that a love poem is enough to convince Annie she's meant to be with some guy she hardly knows but wouldn't cause her to reassess her feelings for someone that she has a long history and strong bond with(whatever her romantic feelings, that last episode clearly shows she and Jai still care about each other, at least as friends).If Romeo's love poetry is anything like this sleazy verbal attempt("I'm going to make you want me, even though you hate yourself for it" or whatever the line was), Shakespeare's got nothing to worry about.It seems more like Annie was pleased to receive confirmation Romeo was interested in her rather than impressed by the actual content, which leads us back to the feeling that it's a purely physical attraction and all rather shallow.

The Happy New Year is meant (although I will admit it was a mistake posting one so soon,) I like these conversations RR, and I did enjoy your Support Network fan fiction and how it developed, (except perhaps I would have liked them to have waited a little longer before re-consummating their relationship - but that's one small detail in a very good read - thanks.) This is more important than thinking about end of year celebrations... until 6:00 pm tomorrow anyway.

My original comments about the influence of the poems were meant to be a wee bit ironic, hence the comparison with Shakespeare; and I did say that I thought she had feelings for Romeo before the advent of the poems, so I don't think I have contradicted myself.

I don't think Annie didn't realize what had been said to her during Romeo's (partial) confession, I think that the story line not going into her reaction to Romeo's behaviour was part of the problem with the lack of time given to the trip to Japan/relationship with Romeo generally. But as you said, it's good that she and Jai went to Japan as caring friends. I agree that a "lust at first sight" explanation as being a major part of Romeo and Annie's relationship is probably nearer to the mark than "Shall I compare thee to a Summer's day..." version (or whatever was in the poems.) I think that aspect (the dream sequence and flirting) was a way of fast-tracking Annie's character by the writers. Yes it has been rushed and, perhaps because of that, shallow. Giving the writers the benefit of the doubt, it was perhaps because of events beyond their control.

I don't think Annie didn't realize what had been said to her during Romeo's (partial) confession, I think that the story line not going into her reaction to Romeo's behaviour was part of the problem with the lack of time given to the trip to Japan/relationship with Romeo generally.

As I recall, Romeo said something like "I promised Jai I'd help him get back with you, that's how I started writing the poems."As I said, that's a bit vague, he didn't say "I promised Jai I'd help him get back with you, he was the one who was sending the poems to start with."Annie didn't ask for clarification("What, you wrote the poems so I'd get back with Jai?")and didn't really seem to be listening, it was almost as though she glazed over the minute Jai was mentioned and was fed up discussing him.It's possible she understood what he was saying but she didn't seem to have any real reaction at all.

Thanks for your kind words about my fic, nice to know you enjoyed it.(Plug, plug.)I agree the re-consummation was a bit of a stretch characterwise but it felt like a natural ending.I don't think they'd have been at it like rabbits from then on, I just wanted to show that they'd come to terms with it and it wasn't something they were uncomfortable with anymore.

Edited by Red Ranger 1

As I recall, Romeo said something like "I promised Jai I'd help him get back with you, that's how I started writing the poems."As I said, that's a bit vague, he didn't say "I promised Jai I'd help him get back with you, he was the one who was sending the poems to start with."Annie didn't ask for clarification("What, you wrote the poems so I'd get back with Jai?")and didn't really seem to be listening, it was almost as though she glazed over the minute Jai was mentioned and was fed up discussing him.It's possible she understood what he was saying but she didn't seem to have any real reaction at all.

Thanks for your kind words about my fic, nice to know you enjoyed it.(Plug, plug.)I agree the re-consummation was a bit of a stretch characterwise but it felt like a natural ending.I don't think they'd have been at it like rabbits from then on, I just wanted to show that they'd come to terms with it and it wasn't something they were uncomfortable with anymore.

OK I stretched the truth a bit, it's just after 6:00 pm, but don't worry RR, it's not EBAY and I'm not putting in a last second bid. Just caught your edit from this morning and the first word that came into my mind was myxomatosis. That would stop 'em going at it like rabbits, especially in Australia.

p.s.

I can fully understand why you ended it the way you did.