Annie/Romeo

I really liked the idea of Romeo and Annie at first, despite being a massive Annie and Jai fan.I liked the way she was nervous and clumsy around him and when he started acting the same around her.But then I completely went off the idea.The turning point was when Romeo took the credit for the poems Jai had been sending Annie.Up until then, I'd given Romeo the benefit of the doubt and believed he was actually trying to be a good friend to Jai even though he was flirting with Annie behind his back but then he turned round and completely betrayed him and totally soured the relationship for me.It left me waiting for a scene where Jai and Annie found out what he'd done that never really came.Worse, the relationship seems to be ruining Annie's character.She's coming across less like a more mature version of Annie(which I loved)and more like a bland teenage girl who just happens to look like Annie.I really hated her in that scene where she threw a strop and stormed off because Romeo wouldn't mess around with her when he was working.

Although I doubt it'll happen, I'd love for the unique, interesting and loveable Annie to come back from holiday and announce Romeo was just an infatuation and she didn't like him as much as she thought she did.Even so I can't see the relationship working:Either they'll end up like Geoff and Nicole, with the differences between them becoming more and more obvious and causing them to split up, or Annie's character will be changed to such an extent they might as well have brought in someone new as Romeo's girlfriend.As someone said on another thread, if these two sleep together after she broke up with Jai for just suggesting that maybe they could sleep together some time many years in the future, it'll be the final nail in Annie's coffin.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't wait to see these two in the new year.

Despite finding Romeo a bit unbelievable (with age) at first I think the actor pulls it off, like Bec Breeds. I'm glad that although there was an initial attraction between them, Annie left and it gave a little time for Romeo's character to develop a little bit without a romance storyline. He's intriguing and Annie has matured a lot. I think they'll make for a very sweet couple, and if Annie's character has continuity some of the struggles she'll face being in an older relationship will make for interesting storylines.

Edited by Jamey-Maria

The thing I dislike about this relationship and an increasing amount of H&A relationships is this: Have these two ever had any sort of proper conversation that went beyond flirting? It just seems that so often these days, a relationship starts by having 2 random characters meet, flirt with each other and then jump into a romance without even getting to know the other character at all.

How many teenage relationships are typically based on profound compatibility rather than mutual attraction and flirtation? The point might be relevant to older couples but Annie and Romeo are teenagers. I’m so sick of seeing h&a teenage couples and they’re ‘everlasting’ love. Perhaps it’s wiser for the friendship and all the getting to know each other to precede the relationship but again, they’re teenagers. It rarely happens that way and it’s more believable that they’re based on flirtation and awkwardness than deep and meaningful conversations at this stage. They have plenty of time for that when they’re building on their relationship.

The thing that really had me rolling my eyes was when Annie was saying "I thought we could have had something special" about a guy she'd had about half a conversation with.I'm sorry but I find the idea of these two hanging out for a reunion with someone they aren't actually dating and don't really know a tad ridiculous.

How many teenage relationships are typically based on profound compatibility rather than mutual attraction and flirtation? The point might be relevant to older couples but Annie and Romeo are teenagers. I’m so sick of seeing h&a teenage couples and they’re ‘everlasting’ love. Perhaps it’s wiser for the friendship and all the getting to know each other to precede the relationship but again, they’re teenagers. It rarely happens that way and it’s more believable that they’re based on flirtation and awkwardness than deep and meaningful conversations at this stage. They have plenty of time for that when they’re building on their relationship.

Well, I'm not saying that every teenage relationship needs to involve both members taking a compatibility test or anything, but how about a basic conversation or two before they start a relationship. When certain teenage (or just out of it) couples start talking about "we're meant to be together" and "you're my life" etc when I've never even heard them have a normal conversation it just sounds ridiculous. I mean, I know they're teenagers and I know it's a soap but...jeez. That example RR quoted above was one that had me rolling my eyes too.

C'mon guys, lighten up. All kinds of strange thoughts of everlasting love pop into teenage heads, and associated words out of teenage mouths - forgotten so soon ? Anyway, what more meaningful conversation could a young girl want than have love poems written for her ? If it was good enough for Shakespeare's characters.....

This may be going over old ground, again, but Jai and Annie were already over. Romeo did betray his friendship with Jai (because of a character weakness, not because of any scheming on his part.) However, the important decision was Annie's, irrespective of what went on between Romeo and Jai.

I think a few troubles in R & A's relationship would be interesting.

Who knows what the new year will bring ? If this is my last post in this one, Happy New Year !

This may be going over old ground, again, but Jai and Annie were already over. Romeo did betray his friendship with Jai (because of a character weakness, not because of any scheming on his part.) However, the important decision was Annie's, irrespective of what went on between Romeo and Jai.

I think a few troubles in R & A's relationship would be interesting.

Who knows what the new year will bring ? If this is my last post in this one, Happy New Year !

Irrespective of what went on between Jai and Romeo?I'd say that's the whole point, that Annie made her decision based on incomplete information.She never found out that two of the poems that were apparently so important to her actually came from Jai, not Romeo, which leaves me feeling that the whole "relationship" is based on a lie.

Irrespective of what went on between Jai and Romeo?I'd say that's the whole point, that Annie made her decision based on incomplete information.She never found out that two of the poems that were apparently so important to her actually came from Jai, not Romeo, which leaves me feeling that the whole "relationship" is based on a lie.

Oh well ! Looks like that wasn't my last post of the year. The single most important fact here, (apart from the second fact that we'll get to in a moment,) is that Annie was already through with Jai when, (second and more important fact,) she fell for Romeo, and had (third, but less important fact) already rejected Jai's attempts to win her back. I doubt very much that her knowing Jai wrote some of the poems would have then tipped the balance back.

No matter how unfair it seems, and love ain't fair, after all it's not a job application with Jai and Romeo the last two candidates, it would probably have had the opposite effect. It would not have been a surprise to her that Jai still had feelings for her, they weren't reciprocated though. Remember the advice that Kirsty gave Jai when he was ignoring Annie's opinion about his attempts to get back with her ? "Sometimes other people just don't feel the same way about us as we do about them" Not an exact quote, but near enough. Feel a little sorry for Jai, but let's not then blame someone in Annie's position for her honest feelings for Romeo, which she began having before the poems arrived (including one self penned and hand delivered by Romeo himself,) so the feelings are not based on a lie. Anyway, Romeo confessed most of this stuff to Annie just before she went to Japan with Jai, he asked her if they might rekindle their relationship in Japan, she replied clearly that whatever she and Jai had was over.

New Year, New start - move on - it won't wait for anyone.

^Well, sorry, if I keep dragging you back into a conversation you don't want by making you answer me (and, er, happy new year to you too)but...I'm not going to pretend that if Annie knew the poems were from Jai she'd go running back into his arms, even though I'd dearly love it for that to happen. But with regards your earlier point that Romeo was "weak" rather than "scheming", it's hard to interpret him hand delivering a poem to her and implictly taking credit for the ones Jai sent, hardly a spur of the moment decision, as anything other than a manipulative act, designed to mislead her and derail Jail's own attempt.I accept he did sort of confess what he'd done but it was very vague and Annie was too busy being childish to really listen so I still don't think she's realised what happened.

I do see something vaguely contradictory about your assertion that a love poem is enough to convince Annie she's meant to be with some guy she hardly knows but wouldn't cause her to reassess her feelings for someone that she has a long history and strong bond with(whatever her romantic feelings, that last episode clearly shows she and Jai still care about each other, at least as friends).If Romeo's love poetry is anything like this sleazy verbal attempt("I'm going to make you want me, even though you hate yourself for it" or whatever the line was), Shakespeare's got nothing to worry about.It seems more like Annie was pleased to receive confirmation Romeo was interested in her rather than impressed by the actual content, which leads us back to the feeling that it's a purely physical attraction and all rather shallow.