Religion

Guest Dotti

I don't know really what to believe sometimes

I was raised a Catholic, but God...is a really confusing issue for me.

He supposedly decides everything that happens in the world right

Well, why does he then create third world poverty, or 9/11 or the tsunami or the reasons that thousands of people die everyday!

God is meant to love us, so why is it he causes such pain and devastation in the world!

I also find it hard to believe sometime that a man who was crucified on a cross came back to life to a group of men!

Jesus Christ would have to appear right in front of me for me to believe that he existed!

Remember please that this is just my opininon!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm with Lino on this one, except I'm not Jewish but Christian. I go to church one/twice a week and help out at the youth group and do church duties. What I like about my religion is that there are no leaders in it and there is no governing body. Lots of churches run by the inviduals who work together.

Well, why does he then create third world poverty, or 9/11 or the tsunami or the reasons that thousands of people die everyday!

God is meant to love us, so why is it he causes such pain and devastation in the world!

Without suffering there'd be no compassion (A Walk to Remember)

What really bugs me in this day and age is people like TomCruise telling the world we should all join Scienology (really annoys me to death) and then we hear on the news about all these cults in that religion...

I really can't make my mind up about religion.

I'm a Christian, although I wasn't raised as a Christian (I made the decision to become a Christian about 2 years ago).

I go to church once a week, I do a lot of church duties, I assisted with kids church for the first time last sunday :D , I used to be part of a home group, and I'm about to be baptised in 6 weeks :D

Suzanne, that's awesome! :D

I don't know really what to believe sometimes

I was raised a Catholic, but God...is a really confusing issue for me.

I also find it hard to believe sometime that a man who was crucified on a cross came back to life to a group of men!

Jesus Christ would have to appear right in front of me for me to believe that he existed!

Remember please that this is just my opininon!

I respect your opinion completely but I would like to answer your questions and address what you've said. You can choose to listen to what I have to say or disregard it completely. I really don't mind how you take it but I'd like to share my opinion on what you've said, nonetheless :) I hope you don't mind but I'd like to use instances from the Bible to back myself up. This is in no way me trying to enforce my beliefs on you all.

Wrong. The concept of "free will" is woven throughout the Bible, referred to as being our right, our freedom and our responsibility to make the choice between God's will and our own. The God-given choice to make our own decisions instantly dismisses the idea that God decides everything that happens in this world. For him to do so would mean that we don't have that free will. Also, nowhere does it say in the Bible that God decides everything. Instead I believe this idea has been fabricated as a (poor) reason why people should not believe in God, or any God for that matter. That, or it's a case of Chinese whispers where someone has misinterpreted God knowing everything as God deciding everything - two very different things.

I do find it a bit difficult to understand why Jesus would have to appear right in front of you for you to believe his existence, though. Do you believe Albert Einstein existed? Do you believe Florence Nightingale existed? Do you believe Ludwig van Beethoven existed? Yet, have any of them appeared in front of you?

I'm a Christian, although I wasn't raised as a Christian (I made the decision to become a Christian about 2 years ago).

I go to church once a week, I do a lot of church duties, I assisted with kids church for the first time last sunday :D , I used to be part of a home group, and I'm about to be baptised in 6 weeks :D

Great news! What denomination are you? My church believes in adult baptism too. I was baptised at 21.

I'm a Christian and was baptized in 2001. My Church doesn't really belong to a denomination, it used to be Baptist but doesn't think Christianity should be split into different groups so it's one of those live band for worship instead of organs and hymns kinnda Churches :P I just look around at the world and how things are perfectly made to their purpose and can't believe that it was anything other than created.

I'm a Christian who strongly believes that it's not our place to judge other people and that's the main moral from the Bible that I try to live my life by.

I do find it a bit difficult to understand why Jesus would have to appear right in front of you for you to believe his existence, though. Do you believe Albert Einstein existed? Do you believe Florence Nightingale existed? Do you believe Ludwig van Beethoven existed? Yet, have any of them appeared in front of you?

Well Albert Einstein, Ludwig van Beethoven and Florence Nightingale weren't said to have died and risen again so why woul you doubt their existence. I assume the poster just means that she doesn't believe in somebody who died and suposedly risen again.

I was brought up in quite a religious and Christian family and have been to several different Christian churches over the years but spent most of my time with the Church of England (where I was baptised, received my first communion). Eventually I stopped going and a combination of things – laziness, boredom, wanting to do stuff prohibited by the religion and the fact that I simply didn’t have the desire to go anymore or just didn’t want to practice the religion meant that now I’m simply a believer and not a Christian.

Archived