Never Again

Guest TelephotoMarigold

Charlie walked into the diner a little self consciously and made her way over to the counter.

“What can I get you Darl?” Irene asked her coming over to her.

“Flat white to go please.” Charlie told her.

“Coming right up. New in town are you?” she said going over to the coffee machine and beginning the process of making the coffee.

“Yeah just got in. Looking for a place to stay actually.” Charlie found herself admitting.

“Is it just for yourself or can we expect someone else moving into the Bay?” Irene said handing over the cup and putting the lid on it.

“Just the kind of question I was going to ask.” Roman murmured walking into the diner behind her.

Irene smiled as she watched Charlie’s faint blush at the comment from him.

“Yes the room would be just for me.” She murmured giving Roman a look from under her lashes.

“Couldn’t resist checking out our coffee?” Roman asked changing the subject.

“Checking out something.” Charlie murmured.

Roman grinned at her.

“Are you on duty tonight?” he asked her.

She shook her head slightly puzzled by the question.

“Good, nothing to stop you having dinner with me.” Roman announced. “Shall we say about 8? Meeting here?”

Charlie gave him a look before nodding. She picked up the cup and moved over to door unable to resist turning and giving him a look before finally exiting the diner.

“Well Darl, I hope Miles takes your break up ok.” Irene said with a smile.

“I think we’ll be fine Irene I’ve got the feeling we’ll still be friends.” Roman said seriously.

Irene laughed and pushed at the other man.

“Get away with you.” She told him smiling.

Roman chuckled and walked into the kitchen with her before collecting the list for the cash and carry and then heading out.

Nic walked into the diner moments later and headed straight to the counter.

“What can I get you Darl?” Irene asked a note in her voice.

“We’d like some lunch.” Geoff murmured coming into the diner with Aden and standing next to Nicole.

Irene looked round all three of them.

“Is this some new kind of…” she began to ask.

“Love triangle?” Nic asked frowning.

Irene looked at her seeing the hint of mischief in Nicole’s blue eyes.

“Yes.” She answered.

“Maybe, we’re still debating who get Saturdays.” Nic responded.

Irene laughed.

“Is my dad around?” she asked quickly.

“No love he’s gone to the cash and carry. Just missed him actually.” Irene told her.

“Dammit.” Nic muttered before she moved over to a table. She picked up a menu and looked at it still distracted.

“What’s up?” Aden asked her sitting opposite.

“Well now we’re sorted.” She began looking at them. “I wanted to talk to my dad about him and Miles.”

“What about them?” Geoff asked slowly exchanging a look with Aden.

“I think they are fake.” She announced.

Aden smirked.

“What makes you think that?” he asked her.

She shook her head making her fluffy blonde hair dance around her face.

“Well the fact that I’ve never actually seen them kiss.” She said with a puzzled frown on her face.

“Seen who kiss?” Miles asked from behind her. “And nice to see you lot sitting together. You’re not plotting something are you?”

Aden laughed briefly before looking at Nic.

“You and my dad. “ she answered his first question.

Miles sat at the table with them.

“I suppose you can know now. We were fake.” He admitted. “But I do have some news.”

“Roman has run off with another woman?” Aden asked smirking.

“Not quite.” Miles murmured slowly.

“Spill it.” Nic scowled as she spoke and then thought of getting lines on her face and relaxed her facial muscles. The empty doll like expression on her face scared them for a moment before she gave a brief smile.

“Maybe we should let Roman tell us.” Geoff suggested.

“Sh Bible boy. I’ve got the feeling this is going to be good.” Aden said.

His look and smile when he used the old saying took any sting out of the words and Geoff found himself smiling.

“Your Dad called me earlier to break up with me. “ Miles began. “Said that my replacement was called Charlie.”

Nicole squeaked and accidentally hit Geoff sitting beside her.

“No way” she cried out.

Irene heard the entire conversation and grinned to herself. Not for all the tea in china would she tell them that Charlie wasn’t a bloke. It was nice to see the kids together and good to have Miles in the Bay, a remaining link to Sally Fletcher. It was interesting seeing so many kids in the Bay now. Watching as friendships formed between them as they grew up. She thought back to doing the laundry a few days ago and finding a folded piece of paper in the pocket of a dress and glanced over at Belle who was in the middle of stacking pots in the dishwasher.

“I’ve been thinking that we need to get more help in here Darl,” she commented.

“You reckon Irene?” Belle asked her with a puzzled frown on her face.

“Yeah, Roman was talking about that Aden character doing a few shifts in here.” She murmured keeping an eye on Belle’s face.

“Him?” she said her voice a slightly higher pitch than normal.

“Just a thought.” Irene said softly before sorting out drinks and placing them on a tray. “Take these out to them.” she added pointing to where they were all sitting.

Belle made a funny noise before accepting the tray and heading over to the group.

“Yup.” She said to herself watching the way Belle reacted. “Some things worked out the way they were supposed to after all.”

The End.......

Comments

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived