Never Again

Guest TelephotoMarigold

Aden knocked on the door of the beach house. He waited a moment before trying the handle. The door opened with a betraying squeak and he walked through it to see Geoff sat at the table.

“Geoff I knocked.” Aden murmured.

Geoff looked at him and sighed before standing up and moving over to the jug kettle. He filled it up at the sink and moved to put it on.

“I heard you I was just thinking of stuff.” Geoff said with a shrug.

“Ok.” Aden said slowly. “Are we ok?” he asked.

Geoff looked up and nodded.

“Only you are acting a bit strange. Is this about Nicole?” Aden asked suddenly aware that he seemed to be the one doing all the talking.

“Sort off.” Geoff said offering no further information.

“Look I’m sorry. I lost my temper.” Aden blurted out., “I never would have made such a stupid bet.”

“Whoa, back up.” Geoff said snapping out of his funk and looking at the other man. “What bet?” he asked.

“I thought you already knew.” Aden gasped out. “I made a bet with Nicole that she couldn’t get you to kiss her.”

Geoff paled and looked at Aden.

“You did what?” he snapped out.

“You heard. I’m sorry Geoff. I was so sure that she wouldn’t succeed and she was so bitchy. I never gave it a thought past the bet. I never…”

“Figured that it would upset me?” Geoff asked nastily.

“Realised that it would. And then I sort of forgot about it with school and everything.” Aden tried to explain but Geoff just looked at him.

“I think you should go now Aden.” Geoff murmured.

“No please listen.” Aden said quickly stepping forward.

“Aden.” Geoff said shaking his head.

“Look I’ll do anything to make this right between us.” Aden blurted. “Please!” he begged.

“Aden, I’m not sure you can make this right between us. I need time to think.” Geoff murmured.

“You can’t mean that.” Aden groaned. “It can’t be over between us.”

He stepped forward and put his hands on Geoff’s arms turning his round and making the other man face him.

“Look please listen. It was a mistake. I didn’t mean to hurt you. I’m sorry. Let’s give it some time and talk this through.” Aden ground out trying to make eye contact with Geoff.

Geoff shook his head and lifted his hands up pushing at Aden’s chest.

“Maybe you should have done some thinking before you made that bet. If I’m in any way important to you aside from some social experiment you’ll let me have some space.”

“Geoff what are you talking about, of course you aren’t an experiment. Geoff I love you.” Aden shouted out.

Geoff looked past Aden in horror at Irene and Belle standing in the doorway.

“Stone the famin’ crows.” Irene muttered dropping the bag of shopping she hand to the floor. Just then the kettle gave a shrill seeming mocking whistle and a plume of steam erupted.

“Aden I think you should go.” Geoff said quietly.

Aden looked around the faces of the others before turning and walking out the door past the startled Belle and Irene.

“Anyone want to tell me what the flipping ‘eck is going on?” he heard Irene say as he walked away from them.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aden moved into the house and walked up the stairs. He saw Nic’s door was closed and wanted to kick it in and tell her what he thought of her but instead he made his way into his room. Sitting down on the bed he began to gulp in noisy breaths as he fought the urge to cry like a girl.

It couldn’t be over like that, he thought. There had to be something he could do or say. Once more he was consumed by a rage that he couldn’t control at the useless way it had ended and why. Before he knew it he had picked up a text book from the pile near his bed and flung it as hard as possible against the wall with a primeval howl before falling back to his knees and wrapping his arms around himself.

Roman moved from his room and paused in the doorway to Aden’s room looking at him for a moment before stepping inside. He closed the door not meeting Nicole’s concerned look as she stood there.

“Aden.” He said softly forcing the other man to look up and acknowledge him.

“Geoff doesn’t want me anymore.” He stated.

Roman nodded.

“Break ups are never easy.” Roman told him. “And for a while they feel like the end of the world.”

The younger man looked up bleakly his eyes filling with tears.

“What am I going to do without him?” he asked slowly.

“Take one day at a time like the rest of us.” Roman murmured. “There is no easy advice here Aden, whatever I say is going to sound like a bad cliché.”

Aden gave a nod and reached for his pillow gasping when he caught the faint trace of Geoff’s body spray before the first tears fell down his face. He hugged it to him and rocked back and forth trying to get some comfort before Roman moved to sit next to him and removed the pillow, taking Aden in his arms and holding him.

“Irene heard.” Aden gasped out after a minute.

“Heard what?” Roman asked him needing more information.

“Me.” Aden muttered sniffing. “Telling Geoff I loved him.”

“Ah.” Roman murmured understanding.

“This break up stuff kinda sucks doesn’t it?” Aden found himself saying.

“Big time.” Roman answered. “But not forever.”

Aden nodded before easing away and wiping his eyes.

“I’m proud of you Aden.” Roman said finally.

“Me, what for?” Aden sneered, standing up and moving away. “I caused this whole mess to start with.”

“No.” Roman denied. “However it’s turned out you have to be proud that you took a chance.”

Aden shook his head.

“I wasn’t brave like you and Miles.” He muttered folding his arms across himself unaware of how he was copying Roman with his body language. “You came out and risked everything.”

“Maybe.” Roman said softly. “But it still takes a lot to tell someone you love them.”

Aden shook his head before tears sprang back into his eyes.

“I should have told him earlier.” He muttered.

Roman stood from the bed and looked at the other man.

“But you told in. Whatever circumstances you said the words you were brave enough to trust him.”

Aden tilted his head to one side as he considered what was being said to him before nodding slowly.

“I guess.” He said finally.

Roman smiled slowly.

“Look son, get some sleep. Things always seem better in the morning.” He said before wincing at the cliché.

Aden looked at him and gave a reluctant smile.

“See everything sounds like a cliché.” Roman murmured easing out of the room and closing the door softly behind him.

“Dad?” Nic called from the doorway into her room.

“What happened to calling me Roman?” Roman replied to her. “I’m not changing my mind.”

She gave him a look and bit her lip to stop it’s betraying tremble at the added rejection before turning around and going back into her room. She was too distraught to even slam the door.

Nic lay on the bed listening to the music coming from Aden’s room until she couldn’t stand it again. She peeled off the pillow that she’d held over her head and sat up on the bed. Striding over to the wardrobe she pulled open the door and picked out her sexiest outfit pulling it on hurriedly. She stood in front of the mirror and picked up her make up and put it on. Smoky dark eyes and pouting red lips. She added a spray of her favourite designer perfume before slipping her feet into very high heels.

Opening the bedroom door a fraction she checked to see that no one was looking before stepping out and easing down the stairs. Her dad was talking on his phone in the kitchen so she used this to pull open the front door. She heard a betraying squeak and grimaced before closing the door too and walking down the front path on tip toes so her heels wouldn’t make that clicking sound. Within minutes she was on her way to the Beach House to see Geoff.

“Now then boy you wanna tell me what the dickens has been going on?” Irene asked Geoff.

He cast a frantic look around before sinking into a chair at the table opposite her.

“What do you want to know?” he asked flinching at the way he sounded, almost petulant.

“Well for starters it seems that there is more going on between you and that Aden Jefferies than you let on to?” she muttered in response.

Geoff frowned and put his head on his hands before looking over at the older woman who had become a mother to him and his sister.

“I had feelings for him.” Geoff admitted.

“Feelings. Strike me.” Irene said dismissively rolling her eyes.

“And what is wrong with that? Aden isn’t like what they say. He’s kind and caring.” Geoff said angrily.

“Alright.” Irene interrupted him. “So what now because that looked like a break up.”

Geoff shrugged.

“I don’t know.” He muttered wiping at his eyes. “I got…” he paused. “involved with someone else. I’m not sure of anything anymore.”

“Strike me.” Irene muttered looking up at the ceiling. “You don’t do things by halves, do you, my boy.”

“Irene please I can’t explain stuff to you. It’s too complicated. I don’t know who I am anymore. Am I the one who believes in God and wanted to be a Pastor or am I gay.”

He gave a moan and looked at the other woman his face contorted as wrestled with his thoughts.

“Geoff love.” Irene murmured. “I’m not much for this gay stuff but if you think you want to be with, well other men then I will support you. That don’t mean it ain’t going to be a difficult path for you.”

Geoff nodded.

“Thank you Irene but seriously I’m just so mixed up right now.” He gave a sigh before burying his head in his hands.

“I know love. “ she said touching his head briefly before standing up and taking her cup through to the kitchen. “I’ll leave you in peace ah, but you know where I am.”

Geoff nodded and watched as the other woman left moving up the stairs to her bedroom. He stayed seated his eyes closed.

“Phew, I thought she’d never leave.” Nic said walking in the house.

“Nicole, what are you doing here?” Geoff gasped out.

“Thought I would come and say hello.” She said softly.

“And you thought it would be fun to eavesdrop did you?” he asked scathingly avoiding looking at her figure in the too sexy outfit she was wearing.

“What?” she muttered. “Wait no, I was sitting here waiting for her to leave.”

He looked her in the eyes seeing something in them that kind of endeared him and he sighed.

“Do you want a drink?” he asked her.

She nodded avoiding putting her arms around herself feeling slightly vulnerable in the brief clothing.

Moving to the kitchen he found himself brushing past her and inhaling her perfume. He gave a small moan hiding it by pretending to cough before opening the fridge door and taking out the juice.

“Thank you.” Nic murmured flashing a too bright smile at him as she took the juice from his hand. She let her fingers touch his for an extra moment as she took hold of the glass. “Nice.” She said taking a long drink and licking her lips.

Geoff focused on drinking his juice before moving to the sofa and sitting down. He knew it was a mistake as soon as he sat down because Nic sat next to him.

“What did you come round for?” he asked her.

“You know.” Nic murmured looking at him from under her lashes.

“If I knew I wouldn’t ask.” Geoff pointed out with a frown.

“We should finish what you started earlier don’t you think?” Nic asked him after a moment lifting his hand from his lap and placing it over her breast. He starred at her in shock licking his lips as he tried to think of something to say before he found himself drawn to her. She pressed herself against him and he lowered his head his lips touching with hers as he kissed her. He thought about her flesh under his hand and her lips against his. And a mixture of revulsion and excitement went through him. Excitement won out and he pressed her down back on the cushions his hands running over her.

Neither of them saw Aden standing in the doorway looking at them in shock. He gave a small twisted smile before spinning around on his heal and striding out of the door.

“Wait.” Nic cried out. “Stop.”

Geoff eased up and looked at her seeing her smudged lipstick and the dark eye make up that was caked around her eyes.

“I’m sorry.” she cried out tears dripping onto mascarra’d lashes from her sapphire eyes.

“Nicole.” Geoff said puzzled.

“Can I borrow a shirt?” she said slowly, shaking.

He nodded and stood up running to the laundry and pulling out a clean top for her bringing it over. He watched as she pulled it on her bottom lip trembling.

“I’ll bring it back.” She murmured.

He nodded still puzzled.

“Do you want me to walk you home?” he asked.

She shook her head.

“I need to …” she stopped and looked at him despising the pity she saw in his eyes. “Go by myself.” She added squaring her shoulders and walking through the door.

Geoff watched her go before walking slowly to his room. He gave a sigh and collapsed on the bed fully clothed twice as confused as before.

Aden walked into the kitchen. He made for the drinks cabinet and took out a bottle of Roman’s whiskey before walking back out of the door and heading to the beach. Clutching the bottle to him he opened it and took a long swallow. The fiery liquid burned his throat as he drank it like the bitter cheap medicine his father used to give them when they were ill. Pausing to look out on the frothing waves he rubbed at his eyes as tears threatened to spill down his face.

Numbness he decided. That was what he was going for just to feel nothing for a little while until he could cope with the mental picture he had of his lover in the arms of someone else.

Nic opened up her phone and looked at the display before sighing and dialling a number.

“Hello Mum.” She murmured when the call connected. “Wait please.” She gasped out. “Don’t hang up.”

“Why Nicole?” Natalie said her voice slightly slurred with the phone distorting it even more.

“Because.” Nic said slowly gasping as a shiver went through her. “Please Mum I need you ok.”

“You made your bed Nicole you can lie in it.” Natalie muttered and ended the call.

Nic looked out on the waves and gave sick sounding moan before she collapsed sobbing to the sand. She looked at her phone again as it began to ring. She tried to end the call not able or wanted to speak to anyone and answered it accidentally, her fingers having groan numb from the cold.

“Nicole.” Came her fathers disembodied voice. “Nicole.” He said again.

She shook her head, her blonde swinging around her head as she moved before sobs took her over again. She dropped the phone to the sand unaware that the call was still connected.

Roman swore and looked at the phone seeing the call still connected. He picked up his house keys and moved out of the front door. Listening to the background noise from the phone he made his way to the beach and started looking for his daughter. He finally saw her on the third beach he went to.

“Nicole.” He called out.

She sat up reaching for her phone and giving it a puzzled frown before she looked around and saw him.

“Roman.” She said her voice husky from crying.

“What happened to calling me Dad?” he asked paraphrasing his earlier words. “Come on home.”

“But it’s not my home.” She said her heart breaking. “You don’t want me.”

“Maybe not.” He agreed wanting to drag the words back at the hurt and broken expression on her face. “But I’ve got you now and if you think I’m giving up on you then you really don’t know me very well.”

Nic found herself feeling hope for the first time and looked up at him.

“Natalie doesn’t want me.” She muttered. “She thinks I’m lying.”

Roman stayed silent, letting her talk.

“But I’m not. He tried to…” she stopped and shuddered.

“Who?” Roman asked gently.

“Mum’s boyfriend.” Nic told him tears falling from her eyes. “She blames me.”

Roman bit back the angry words he wanted to say about the other man and what he wanted to do to him before simply gathering her up in his arms and carrying her home.

“Dad.” She whispered sleepily against his neck as she rested her head on his shoulder.

“That’s right Princess.” He said and heard her give him a little giggle in response.

“I did something tonight I’m ashamed off.” She whispered. “I went to seduce Geoff.”

“Nic.” He said her name with a sigh.

“I stopped.” She muttered feeling defensive again.

“Really?” he asked her lowering her to her feet whilst he opened the door. He picked her up once more and carried her to the sofa putting a throw over her still cold form.

“I felt ..” she looked down unable to meet his eyes. “Dirty.” She whispered.

“Oh Nic.” Roman murmured.

She looked up at him then and saw the expressing on his face.

“You care.” She said disbelievingly.

He nodded.

“Of course I care.” He told her. “I love you.” He added touching her face gently. “You are my daughter.”

Nic gave a gasp and launch herself in his arms hugging him to her.

“Daddy.” She whispered.

He held her once more sighing as he felt her sob.

Aden looked at the bottle seeing more than half the contents were gone. He stood shakily and started walking, after a minute he turned around and heading back in the direction he meant to walk in the first place. He sighed and took another drink, not minding the taste of the single malt whiskey now. He figured that whatever taste buds he had left were now immune to the burning sensation.

Managing to keep not only fairly straight but also upright he staggered towards the beach house determined to find someone. Pushing his free hand through his hair he ruffled it unaware that tufts were now standing up. Striding forward he bumped into the black bin and nearly fell, swearing as he felt his shin connect with something sharp and pointed. Using the bin to get him upright he made it over to the wall of the house in three steps. He found himself leaning there for a while as a wave of dizziness washed over him. Finally he was able to reach for the window. He pushed it up unresistingly and then winced at the last bit when there was a high pitched squeak.

“Shh” he told it, putting his finger on his lips and wavering before he began climbing through the window. He fell the other side and saw a light spring on.

“What the hell…” Belle Taylor burst out.

Aden crawled towards the bed before standing up and laying on the pale cover.

“Just need some sleep.” He slurred.

“And you think you can just climb in here now your secret is out and pretend that you are straight.” Belle said nastily regretting the words as soon as she spoke them.

Aden looked at her with puppy dog eyes.

“I don’t know what I am.” He said earnestly.

Belle found herself looking at him before she gave a groan.

“I hope you don’t think you can stay here.” She muttered frostily ignoring the part of her that wanted to hug Aden Jefferies.

‘Hug Aden?’ She asked herself. ‘Woah girlie, what the heck are you thinking? She thought the question but it seemed to be Irene’s voice she heard in her head and smiled at the rogue thoughts.

“I just don’t want to be alone.” Aden said moodily his bottom lip sticking out as he pouted at her.

Belle shook her head and reacted to the conflicting emotions running through her by pushing him off the end of her bed.

“Aden?” she gasped out, looking over at the fallen heap on the floor at the end of her bed.

“S’right.” He gasped out lifting his hand and raising his thumb.

Belle gave a muffled giggle and settled down in the bed again leaving Aden asleep on the floor.

“Breakfast!” Irene called out.

Annie looked at the other woman as she took a sip of her orange juice.

“What is keeping them today?” Irene muttered under her breath as she moved the eggs round in the pan.

“Want me to get Belle for you? “Annie asked sweetly.

Irene looked over at her and nodded watching as the youngster immediately vaulted off her chair and ran over to Belle’s door. She knocked twice, the first time a soft knock and the second a louder harder knock, almost as though the second knock was a representation of her growing confidence. She gave a grin and pushed open the door.

“Wake up Sleepyhead.” She cried out walking into the room.

Annie gasped out loud and covered her eyes.

“Sorry.” She said backing up and out of the room.

“Oh great.” Belle muttered pushing at Aden still asleep beside her in the big bed.

“I suppose you’re going to find some way to blame me for this?” he said rubbing at his face.

“Get out Jefferies.”

“Gladly Taylor.” He murmured smirking at her. “Know where my clothes are?”

Belle paled before lifting the quilt and double-checking he still had clothes on.

“You.” She gasped.

“Could wait to check me out could you?” he asked her still smirking.

“Oh you.” She glared at him before climbing out of the bed and pulling on her bathrobe. She watched as he swung his legs out of bed and pulled on his earlier discarded trainers before heading for the door.

“Wait.” Belle hissed at him.

“Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t little miss farm girl just see me?” he asked her.

“And that is part of the reason that you need to go back out of the window.” Belle said moving quickly to his side and pushing him back from the door. “Annie is Geoff’s sister you know.”

Aden paled at mention of Geoff before he gave a slow nod.

“So wait, you think you can what?” he muttered finally. “Rewind that last few minutes? Because hell, if you have a time machine then I want the last few months back.”

Belle looked at him and saw the conflict all over his face.

“It’s not a crime to fall in love.” She told him thinking of Drew her former boyfriend.

Aden looked at her and sighed.

“Who says I’m in love? That’s just talk.” He muttered trying to smirk.

Belle bit her lip to point out that a smirk didn’t work if you looked as though you were about to cry.

“Get out of here.” She muttered instead of the words that she really wanted to say. She thought some more and then asked the question she was dying to ask.

“Why did you come here last night?”

Aden grinned.

“Seemed like a good idea at the time.” he said and moved over to the window opening it up and climbing out.

Belle watched him go before she turned around and wrote something on a piece of pink notepaper folding it up and putting it in her pocket. She stepped out of the door and saw Geoff sitting at the table next to Annie and she walked slowly over to them.

Annie refused to meet her gaze as she sat at the table. She reached into her pocket and took out the note placing it in the girls hand under the table.

Annie looked at her before looking down. She unfolded the paper surreptitiously and read the words Belle had written. Glancing up she met Belle’s gaze and saw her nod.

“About time Girlie.” Irene muttered placing eggs and toast in front of Belle.

“Yeah.” Belle gave Irene a smile. “Sorry.”

“Well eat up you three.” Irene said looking at the still full plates.

“Actually I’m not that hungry.” Geoff told her.

“Nonsense you didn’t eat anything last night. You must have rocks in ya’ head if you think I’m going to let you out of this house without some grub in ya.” Irene told him sternly.

He met her gaze before reluctantly picking up his fork and taking a bite.

“And you girlie.” Irene said to Annie.

“Sorry Irene.” Annie said and smiled before she picked up her fork and ate the eggs. She took a big bite of the toast and saw the older woman smile.

Miles walked slowly up the path to Roman’s house. He knocked and then walked in through the door seeing Aden trying to tie the knot in his tie, a piece of toast held between his lips. Nic was sitting on the stairs in her school uniform and looking as though she had been dragged out of her bed and Roman was standing in the kitchen drinking coffee. None of the three were talking.

“Hey!” he said quickly.

Roman nodded before moving to pour out a coffee for the other man.

“Anything wrong?” he asked.

Roman looked at him and shook his head before Aden gave Miles a look before glaring at Nicole.

“Ok then.” Miles murmured accepting the cup.

Aden stopped fiddling with the tie and took the toast out of his mouth. He dropped it on a plate at the table and moved to the stairs.

“Tell her to get out of my way.” He said in a nasty tone of voice.

“Aden.” Roman said quietly. “What did we talk about five minutes ago?”

“Move.” Aden snarled.

“Say please.” Nic muttered mutinously.

“Nicole.” Roman groaned out her name.

“Get the hell out of my way tramp.” Aden said glaring at her.

“What did you call me?” Nic screeched indignantly.

“You heard. Go around sleeping with other people’s boyfriend’s all the time do you?” Aden snapped out.

Nic looked puzzled then sprang up.

“You and Geoff? But he’s like all Bible and you are like the ultimate Rebel without a clue!” she muttered.

“Shut up Princess before we really get into stereotypes.” Aden folded his arms as he stepped closer to her. “Oh wait, sorry that was a word with more than one syllable do you want me to use simpler ones so that you can understand?”

Nic glared at him before stepping closer to him. She looked up into his face before she gave him a smile.

“I may be a Princess but I’m not a queen like you.” She announced.

Aden gave her a look before spinning around and throwing a punch connecting with the wall.

“Aden. Nicole.” Roman bit out moving over to them. “Nicole you apologise.” He instructed.

“He was going to hit me.” She gasped out looking at the dent in the wall.

Aden flexed his fingers in his hand.

“Yeah and you might have needed another nose job Princess!” he shot out.

“I have not had a nose job!” she screeched out pushing at him. “My nose is fine. Take that back Aden Jefferies.”

Aden reacted by pushing Nicole. She fell back on her backside on to the stairs behind her. He gave her a last scathing look before walking past her and up the stairs.

“Nicole.” Roman bit out. “Do I need to have that talk with you again? Because it seems that you forgot every word I said.”

She looked up with big eyes and bit her lip unaware of how vulnerable she looked in that instant before standing up and stepping forward.

“Aden and Geoff?” she asked.

Miles nodded responding when Roman reminded silent.

“So I really messed up.” She whispered looking up the stairs for a moment before shaking her head and folding her arms once more. She gave Miles and then Roman a narrow eyed stare. “So you two…” she murmured.

“Do you think you can afford any more mistakes today Nicole?” Roman asked softly. “You owe Aden an apology.”

“He was going to hit me and I have to apologise?” she muttered. “Over my dead body.” She snapped out picking up her school bag and storming out of the door.

Roman gave a groan and rubbed his hand over his face before catching Miles looking at him.

“So what did I miss?” he asked slowly.

Roman walked into the diner and saw Colleen looking tight lipped over the other side of the room. He gave her a puzzled glance before spotting Irene looking daggers at him.

“What’s the matter?” he asked quickly.

“I want a word with you.” She announced and moved around the counter grabbing his arm and leading him back out the way he came and then dragging him to the beach so they would not be overheard.

“Ok but do you think you could do it with less violence next time.” he asked her giving her a pointed look.

“Are you and Miles really a couple?” she hissed at him. “Because it seems very convenient to me that you two should come out just when that boy of yours seems to be dating poor Geoff.”

“Just a minute Irene.” Roman said frowning at her as he removed her hand from his arm.

She gave him a look before folding her arms across herself and tapping her foot.

“What makes you think that Miles and I aren’t a real couple?” he asked her.

“Just seems to be awfully quick of you to start dating so soon after you were with Martha.” She pointed out. “And then of course your minx of a daughter turns up.”

Roman continued to look at her without saying anything.

“So which way do you swing Mister? Especially considering you is ex-army. I mean don’t they have rules against that kind of thing?”

Roman was about to point out that he was more ex-SAS than army but decided that wasn’t really the point.

“Ok Irene, busted. Miles and I are just good friends.” He confirmed. “I prefer girls.” He announced and then groaned at her raising her eyebrow at that statement. “Well women.” He amended.

“So you what?” she asked.

“We came out to protect Aden and Geoff.” He confirmed seeing her nod.

“Well that worked. What was your next plan?” she asked him sounding sarcastic.

“There was no plan.” He muttered rubbing at his face. “And I don’t appreciate being lectured Irene. Geoff and Aden were confused. They had a hard enough time telling you and now it’s twice as complicated. Aden is ..” he stopped looking over at the beach for a moment before turning back to her.

“In love with Geoff?” Irene supplied. “But it’s a first love you know they don’t last.”

“Try telling that to Aden. He locks himself in his room playing the same song over and over again.”

Irene nodded her eyes sad.

“Geoff is mopping about like he lost his best friend.” She confirmed.

“And then there is Nicole.” He added with a plaintive sigh.

“Yes, your daughter is certainly something.” Irene said quickly.

Roman glared at her knowing that the other woman hadn’t meant that as a compliment.

“I guess we have to give them time to work this out.” Roman murmured, asking rather than stating though.

Irene nodded.

“And it might help that daughter of yours if you and Miles were honest with her.

“Oh no Irene.” Roman shook his head.

“Why ever not?” she muttered.

“Because if I’m honest I’ll have to tell her she’s a spoiled brat who should have been spanked.” He told Irene with a straight face watching as she burst out laughing.

Nic walked down the corridor heading for her locker. She saw Geoff standing peering into his as though his life depended on it before catching sight of Aden moving towards his locker. Geoff continued to focus on the contents of his smooth grey locker ignoring the boy standing a little way off.

She glanced from to the other catching sight of Aden’s pained look before walking over to Geoff.

“Morning.” She said cheerily. “Did you manage to get your homework sorted for Miles class?”

“What?!” Geoff muttered puzzled before he turned around and caught sight of Aden.

“And welcome back to Earth.” Nic murmured. “Now go speak to him.”

“You’re matchmaking?” Geoff spluttered.

“No of course not.” She said and leaned forward lowering her voice. “But you need to have a good ending or something so you can move on.”

“Read that in a magazine Princess?” Geoff asked, the nickname Aden had given her slipping easily from his tongue.

She nodded slowly before grabbing hold of his hand around the wrist and tugging him across the corridor and into a classroom. She caught Aden watching them curiously. He took a step towards them before she turned and grabbed him by his ear tugging him along.

“Nicole.” Aden bit out.

“No I messed this up so I have to make it right.” She said to them as she turned and shut the door locking it.

Geoff stared at Aden and folded his arms across his chest.

Aden looked at Nic before looking over at Geoff and put his hands in his pockets half turning away from them.

“Aden do you love Geoff?” Nic asked bluntly.

His head snapped up at the question and he found his gaze firmly on Geoff.

“Yes.” He said finally.

“Geoff do you love Aden?”

Geoff shook his head.

“Not in that way. Aden I’m sorry this is too much. I don’t know if I want…”

“To be gay?” Aden asked.

“To be in a relationship while I’m so confused.” Geoff answered him the raw honesty of his statement shocking him.

Aden nodded.

“I can understand that.” He said softly. “It’s been a bit of a rollercoaster hasn’t it?”

Geoff smiled.

“Certainly has.” He confirmed.

“But that doesn’t explain why you and her were all over each other the other night.” Aden spat out.

Geoff flinched and cast a frantic glance at Nic.

“That was my fault.” Nic said softly. “I needed to be…. “ she paused and looked at Geoff with sad eyes. “Wanted.” She finished.

“So you pashed my boyfriend?” Aden drawled out scathingly.

“We’d already split Aden because of that stupid bet you made.” Geoff said sounding angry for the first time.

Aden flushed.

“I told you I didn’t know why I made that stupid bet.” He said guiltily.

“I do.” Nic spoke up.

The two boys turned and looked at her expectantly.

“Because you knew he was having doubts about you.” She told Aden and watched as he shook his head.

“no.” he denied.

Geoff looked at him and their eyes met slowly.

“Geoff I never had doubts.” He said quickly.

“How could you not have doubts?” Nic asked him. “Everybody has doubts n their relationship even if they love each other.” she said quoting from one of her magazines.

Aden shook his head and looked up at the ceiling before looking at Geoff.

“Ok maybe I did doubt us.” He said at last. “I knew that we would have so many obstacles to overcome as a gay couple.”

“Aden.” Geoff murmured.

Aden shook his head.

“I felt like you were asking permission to be gay Geoff.”

Geoff nodded.

“And if we were a couple it shouldn’t be like that.”

“True.” Geoff said slowly. “But I felt that sometimes you didn’t want to be ….” He stopped and looked at Nic.

“In a gay relationship because of what happened?” Aden finished a tinge of colour on his face. He rubbed quickly at his eyes before looking at Geoff and watched as the other man nodded.

“So stop this trying to avoid each other business ok?” Nic said to both of them after time passed without their comments.

“If we agree can we go get lunch now?” Aden asked Nic.

She nodded.

“Only if you both come with me to the diner?” she said softly looking strangely shy. “I need to see my dad.”

“Planning to sort him out Princess?” Aden asked.

“Quit with the Princess routine its getting old.” She muttered frowning at him as she opened the door.

Geoff and Aden exchanged a snigger behind her back grinning at her furious glare.

Roman cursed as he saw the blue flashing lights in his rear view mirror. He slowed the car and eased to a stop at the side of the road. He put his hands on top of the steering wheel and waited.

“Could you step out of the vehicle please sir?”

“Certainly officer.” He drawled.

He opened up the door and climbed out of the bright yellow car standing beside it.

“Is this car yours?” she asked him.

Roman found himself distracted by the voice and the long shiny hair, although it was scraped back in a ponytail.

“No it belongs to my daughter.” he said slowly. “I was taking it for a run.”

She nodded and lifted her gaze to his.

“Name and licence.” She said after a pause.

“Roman Harris.” He murmured and flashed a grin at her. “Would you like my number too?” he asked and saw a faint flush to her cheeks.

“Licence please?” she asked sounding very business like.

He handed the small plastic card over grinning as their fingers brushed.

“You were in excess of the speed limit.” She pointed out. “I’m going to give you a warning this time.”

Roman nodded slowly and accepted his licence back from her.

“You are new to the Bay aren’t you?” he said to her.

“Yes.” She confirmed. “How did you know?”

“Because I work in the diner and I haven’t seen you in there.”

“Maybe you should join the force with that detective work.” She said sarcastically.

He gave a brief husky laugh.

“Do I need to be a detective to find out your name Constable?” he asked after a moment.

She gave him a look and began walking back to her car.

“It’s Charlie.” She said finally before she climbed inside behind the wheel. “I’ll be in the diner later for a coffee.”

He watched as she drove away before remembering Miles and that fact that he was now gay and cursed dragging his phone out of his pocket. He dialled quickly glancing at his watch as the call connected.

“Hey mate.” Miles said from the other end of the Bay.

“Miles I think we need to break up.” Roman said with a half smile.

“I’m crushed I thought we were going so well.” Miles said laughing.

“Yeah but even with the long hair you aren’t my type.” Roman grinned as he spoke imagining the look on his mates face as he spoke.

“So you’ve met someone?” Miles worked out.

Roman laughed.

“I may have done.” He confirmed.

“Listen I have to go. Are you at least going to tell me the name of the person who’s replacing me?” Miles asked him.

Roman looked up at the sky and chuckled.

“Charlie.” He supplied and hung up.

Miles looked at his phone in shock before shaking his head. This gay stuff had obviously gone too far Roman was now dating guys. But like wow if hanging with him had turned Roman Harris he thought with a smug grin.

Archived