Never Again

Guest TelephotoMarigold

“You’re his daughter?” Aden asked.

Nic looked up from the sun bed where she was laying.

“Yup and you would be?” she asked not bothering to remove her sunglasses.

“Aden I live with him.”

Nic sat up and pealed the dark shades away from her eyes.

“You live with my dad?” she asked.

He nodded before sitting down on the sand next to the sun bed.

She looked over at him taking in the youthful looks and the fit young body. She sighed.

“Ok.” she murmured. “Doesn’t that get a bit.” She stopped and bit her lip. She was 17 and she was cool with her father’s lifestyle but well having a stud in the house and her dad hooking up with Miles, well that took a little understanding.

“A bit what?” Aden asked, the corners of his eyes crinkling up as he smiled.

She sighed.

“Limiting?” she tried.

He raised an eyebrow and smirked.

“No Roman is pretty cool with it.” he said softly wondering what the other man had told her about him. Obviously missing one or two things out.

“Ok then.” She said and eased up off the chair.

She stood and slipped her feet into the high-heeled mules before collecting her belongings.

“Where is a good place to get a drink round here?” she muttered pulling the Dior sunglasses over her eyes once more.

“Well there is the diner.” Aden said and then mentally kicked himself. Not only was Geoff probably in there but it was where Roman was working.

“That place?” she said sounding almost scathing. “No I meant a real drink.” She added in the Nicole tone of voice that normally men did argue with.

“The only place like that is Noah’s but you won’t get served.” He cautioned.

She shook her head and her long blonde hair flew down her back.

“I’m sure that even in this two bit dive they will have heard of customer rights.” She said haughtily. “Show me where it is.” She instructed.

“Certainly.” Aden murmured and mentally added Princess to the statement inside his head. This would be interesting to watch.

He stood up slowly and moved along the beach hearing muffled swearing as she tried to keep up with him in her high-heeled ridiculous shoes. He paused and pointed to the pathway at the top of the beach letting her walk in front of him.

After a few steps she stopped suddenly and bent down easing of one shoe and tipping the sand out of it before doing the same with the other shoe. After a few moments of playing with her ankles and running her hand up her leg she turned to him.

“You are so totally gay.” She accused her tone high-pitched but also nasally.

He shrugged.

“Because I didn’t enjoy the show Princess?” he asked the last word slipping between his lips. “Others did.” He added and pointed over to a group of boys he knew were from the year below him at Summer Bay high.

She muttered something he didn’t quite catch but suspected it was about his parentage.

“And don’t call me Princess.” She added after a moment of ranting.

He looked over at her and saw the sheen of pink on her cheeks, the fluffed up hair and the designer clothes.

“What ever you say Princess.” He murmured and moved away heading for Noah’s.

She followed him and made for the bar.

“What can I get you?” Alf asked them.

“I would like a rum and coke.” Nic murmured trying to dazzle him with a smile.

Alf grinned and poured out the coke over ice and presenting it to her.

“Where’s the rum?” she asked quickly pulling off the sunglasses.

“In the first place we don’t serve underage drinkers and in the second place we don’t serve underage drinkers and in the third place…” Alf began.

“Let me guess you don’t serve underage drinkers?” Nic drawled out sarcastically.

“No, we don’t serve alcohol until later. During the day this is a juice bar.” Alf pointed out to her. “And you must be Nicole.”

“Does this town know everything?” she muttered and unconsciously sat down at the bar and took a long drink of the iced coke. Drops of condensation easing down the side of the glass.

“We know what we need to know.” Alf said softly. “And your Dad has made a good home for himself here.”

Nic looked up and nodded at the unspoken warning, don’t mess things up for your dad! A small tiny little part of her that she would never acknowledge was glad her dad had made himself a home a bigger part was jealous that she hadn’t been included in his plans. Having to force the issue by coming here unannounced.

Aden smiled over at Alf before ordering an OJ for himself.

Nic watched as the older man sliced the fruit and squeezed the juice fresh before handing over the drink to the other man.

“So how long have you lived with my dad?” she asked him.

Aden shrugged.

“A few months.” He said softly.

“And you are cool with the whole Miles thing?” she questioned curiously.

Aden grinned.

“Yes.” He said quietly. “Why did you expect me to not be?” he added.

She paused before answering taking a long drink of her coke.

“Well isn’t it unusual?” she finally phrased.

He nodded.

“I suppose so. But I had no where else to go and Roman offered me a bed.” Aden told her.

She nodded again wondering if her dad was really some kind of pervert.

“You go to school?” she asked in a shocked tone.

Aden nodded not picking up on what she was thinking for a moment before it dawned on him.

“Wait no.” he gasped out.

She looked up.

“It’s cool.” She said quickly. “I mean if you are cool with it then I’m cool with it. Oh is that the time I must go I need to condition my hair.” She said quickly and climbed off the stool.

Aden fumbled pulling out the money to pay for the drinks and by the time he got outside to follow her she’d disappeared. He swore under his breath before heading to the diner to warn Roman that his daughter thought that both he and Miles were part of some weird gay love triangle thing

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Roman stormed in to the house, throwing his keys into the bowl on to the console table behind the door.

“Nicole!” he called out.

He was met by a deafening silence.

“Nicole.” He shouted again and still nothing.

He walked slowly into the kitchen and reached for a beer from the fridge. He touched the bottle but changed his mind and opened up a nearby cupboard instead. Adding a glass to the bottle he had taken out he poured out a small measure of pure single malt whisky and took a long swallow.

Aden walked in through the door and saw Roman leaning against the kitchen top drinking.

“Haven’t had a chance to talk to her then?” he asked.

Roman glared at him.

“Well this must be good for your reputation. Not here for that long and you have two guys fighting over being with you.” Aden joked.

Roman narrowed his eyes as he looked at him.

“That isn’t funny.” Roman muttered.

Aden chuckled at the other man before claiming a can of soda from the fridge and opening it to take a long drink. The front door opened then and Miles walked in.

“Good timing.” Aden said smirking.

“Why?” Miles asked looking puzzled.

“Well I think Roman is about to break up with you.”

“Aden!” Roman gasped out.

“It’s true isn’t it?” Aden chuckled some more looking from one man to the other.

“Oh no!” Miles exclaimed dramatically.

“If you two don’t mind.” Roman muttered then gave in and took a last drink from his glass draining it. “It seems that my daughter.” He stopped at that point the word daughter sticking on his tongue with unfamiliarity. “has somehow reached the conclusion that Aden is my in house lover.” He finished after the pause.

Miles grinned then the laugh started building and finally slipped from his lips.

“Oh my god that is so funny!” he gasped out. “Because I just saw Nic on the beach talking to Martha.” He added.

Roman did a quick double take. Martha had been a little confused when he and Miles came out as a couple after his relationship with the woman and now she was cosying up to Nicole. He looked at his empty glass and then the bottle before sighing and pouring out another measure. He downed it in one and moved over to one of the sofas where he collapsed.

“This day cannot get any worse.” He declared.

Miles and Aden looked at him and laughed.

“Of course it can.” Miles told the despondent man sitting on the sofa. He moved over to sit opposite him. “You need to decide what you are going to tell her.” he murmured.

Roman looked at Aden who nodded agreement.

“The thing is if you tell her we are only faking it then the heat is going to back on..” Miles trailed off but Roman looked over at Aden.

“I’m fine.” Aden grinned.

“But Geoff.” The three men said in unison, knowing that Annie’s reaction had hit him hard.

“Fine.” Roman said making up his mind.

Miles grinned.

“Do I get a drink?” he asked after a minute coughing theatrically.

Roman smiled slowly and gestured in toward the kitchen.

“Help yourself lover.” He said sarcastically.

Miles laughter was cut off when the door slammed shut.

“Hello Nicole.” Roman greeted without turning around.

“Roman.” She said her tone harsh. “Does someone want to tell me what’s going on?” she said after a moment.

Miles stood and retreated into the kitchen.

“I take it you had a nice talk with Martha.” Roman said looking over at her.

She nodded once and glared at him,

“Well you know that I had a fling with her.” Roman muttered feeling uncomfortable about talking relationships with his teenage daughter. Well actually it was the fact he felt the need to explain his relationships to his teenage daughter that was the killer.

She nodded once more, her hair swinging around her china doll features.

“It made me realise what I wanted.” Roman began with the cliché. He hadn’t listened to Irene and Colleen talking about a soap opera they were hooked on for nothing.

“And you want what exactly?” Nicole asked tapping her foot.

“Miles.” Roman murmured.

Without turning his head he knew that Miles was smirking and Aden would have stupid grin on his face. He also knew that if he looked at the pair of them he would end up saying something daft.

“So what are you doing to Aden because he is totally gay.” She burst out with.

Roman raised an eyebrow as he looked at her.

“And you would know this because?” he asked her.

Nic blushed then and looked at a mysterious spot on the wall behind Roman’s head.

“Just can tell.” She said but didn’t make eye contact with him.

“Aden is here because he needed a place to stay.” Roman told her in a quiet tone of voice. “And that’s all you need to know. I expect you to treat him with courtesy and respect his privacy.”

Nicole looked over at Roman with a glare before standing up and flouncing up the stairs. They heard a door slam a moment later.

Aden moved to the doorway between kitchen and lounge and looked at Roman.

“Thanks.” He said quietly, all his previous arrogance seemed to have gone.

“Won’t stop her asking you loads of questions.” Roman told him.

“You were going to say probing him weren’t you?” Miles muttered from the kitchen.

Roman nodded a grin finally crawling on to his handsome face.

“Now that would be interesting.” Aden smirked.

Roman raised that eyebrow again and looked at him.

“Perhaps I should Tell Geoff you said that.”

Aden laughed and took the opportunity to escape up the stairs without answering leaving Miles with a exhausted looking Roman.

“Do you need a hug darling?” Miles asked him.

Roman looked at him glaringly.

• 2 weeks later...

“Nicole!” Roman called for the tenth time.

“so when does she get out of bed normally?” Miles asked from his seat at the table in the kitchen.

“The Princess normally rises around Noon.” Aden said smirking.

“Aden how many times have I asked you not to call her that.” Roman said distractedly.

“A couple dozen but if the tiara fits…” he murmured and watched as Miles laughed and simultaneously choked on his coffee.

“Nicole Franklin if you do not get your but down here in the next five minutes I will pour a bucket of water over you.” Roman shouted up the stairs before storming back into the kitchen.

He reached for his cup and found it empty.

“Roman.” Miles murmured. “Maybe school isn’t the best place for her.”

He shook his head.

“She goes to school.” He said stubbornly. “I’m not having her not get her HSC.”

Aden looked at Miles.

“Good try but she will be in at least a couple of your classes!” he grinned.

“Thanks Jefferies I’ll remember your kind words when I next hand out detentions.” Miles muttered draining his cup.

“Anyway what are you doing here so early?” Aden asked puzzled. “Are you two really an item now?”

Roman spat out the mouthful of coffee he had been able to drain from the coffee pot and glared at Aden.

“I think I’m about to put your rent up..” he muttered frowning at him.

Miles chuckled.

“I’m here to assist getting Princess… I mean Nicole to school and well for the coffee.” He added looking at the pot.

Roman glared at him for a second before turning and making a second pot of coffee. He moved out the back and came back in a second later with a bucket and began filling it with cold water.

Aden laughed.

“You so can’t do that.” He said after a moment.

Roman gave him ‘the look’, the one that Aden was sure Afghani terrorists quaked from and stepped back folding his arms defensively.

Just then a knock at the door sounded and he moved across the room to answer it.

“Are you ready?” Geoff asked kissing Aden on the cheek.

“In a bit.” Aden murmured, his blue eyes lighting up. “There is about to be some major fireworks.” He added pointing to Roman who was carrying the bucket up the stairs.

Miles moved out of the kitchen and leaned against the back of the sofa. He sipped the coffee looking up the stairs.

They heard screams rising in volume followed by swearing and Roman walking down the stairs with the empty bucket. A few minutes later a mutinously looking Nicole followed hi down the stairs. She was wrapped in a full length dressing gown a towel around her head.

“Why did you do that?” she screamed at Roman. “I was getting up!”

“Of course you were Nicole. I’ve only been calling you for the last hour.” He said pouring some coffee out for himself.

“From now on you stay out of my room.” she screeched. “I do not want you anywhere near me.”

Roman looked at her calmly.

“Well tough Nicole. You are living under my roof by your choice. You agreed to follow the rules. That includes going to school and if you aren’t prepared to do that I can always contact your mother and have her pick you up.” He said softly.

“Oh that’s right ship me off like I’m some problem.” She screamed once more furious. “Not that I expect any different from the man who ran out on my mother.”

“Is that the story they have been feeding you Nicole?” he asked shaking his head.

She looked at him and sank into a chair looking defeated.

“Isn’t that what happened?” she asked and gestured to Miles. “I mean you obviously couldn’t cope with a normal relationship.”

“What happened is something I am not prepared to discuss with an audience. “He began. “now get ready for school.”

She glared at him and then turned looking around the room. She blushed when she saw Geoff standing looking at her.

“Oh!” she said her mouth open in a round ‘O’ shape.

“Now that I would have got out of bed for!” she added in an undertone. “Or well definitely in bed.”

“Nicole!” Roman said softly. “We can still hear you.” He added and watched in satisfaction as she blushed and ran up the stairs.

“Who exactly is that?” Geoff asked.

“My daughter.” Roman muttered draining his sixth cup of coffee wishing it was something stronger and ye gods, this was only the first day!

Nicole came home from school and dumped her bag on the floor. She collapsed on the sofa and picked up a magazine and started reading it. She heard noises coming from upstairs and eventually moved over to the stairs to listen closer. It was two men and then kissing noises. She gasped and turning ran out of the house making her way to the beach. How could her father be gay? She asked herself for the 100th time. and then was struck by the thought that maybe his experience with her mother had drove him into Gaydom.

A small giggle rose in her and bubbled out past her rosebud lips.

“Gaydom.” She murmured. “I’ve just invented a new word.”

“You know talking to yourself is one thing but well laughing at yourself means you are a step away form madness.” A girl murmured from behind her.

“Who are you?” Nic asked spinning around and looking at her.

“Belle Taylor. And I don’t have to ask who you are.” She replied in the same supercilious tone of voice.

Nicole lifted her chin and looked at her.

“Is that because this small hick town has never had someone as wonderful as me in it before?”

Belle laughed.

“Full of yourself aren’t you?” she asked after a moment.

“I may be high maintenance but I’m worth it.” Nic muttered at her before turning around and walking off.

She reached the house in minutes and sighed before opening the door. Her bag had been moved and the magazine picked up off the floor and placed on the table.

“I’d appreciate it if you didn’t leave your stuff all over the place Nicole.” Roman called out from the kitchen.

She muttered something under her breath and stormed over to him.

“I want to go home.” She told him.

He turned and looked at her.

“Fine.” He said quietly. “When do you want to go?”

She looked at him them and felt unaccustomed real tears springing into her eyes.

“I don’t think this is working out.” She muttered trying not to let on how she was feeling into her voice.

“If that is how you feel.” Roman told her softly. “I’m sorry you think this isn’t working out. It’s only been a short while, though.”

She lifted her head and looked at him.

“What are you saying?” she asked quickly.

“Just that it’s only been a couple of weeks. Sometimes it takes longer to get to know someone.”

She nodded and surprised herself when a tear trickled down her face.

Roman took a step towards her and held opened his arms.

Nicole looked at him for a moment before she launched herself at him.

“It doesn’t mean I’m going to call you dad.” She muttered clutching him tight.

He smiled before pressing a kiss to the top of her head.

“Does it mean that you are going to stay a while longer though?” he asked and felt her hands clutch at him as she pressed herself tighter to him. She nodded unable to trust her voice.

“Can you and Miles like tone it down a little though.” She murmured pressing her face against his chest so the words came out muffled. “I’m not really comfortable with the whole Gay thing yet.”

He chuckled.

“I think we can do that.” He promised.

She stepped back and looked at him.

“You’re going to make me do my homework now aren’t you?” she asked.

Roman nodded.

“Of course I am. And I may even be forced to ground you at some point too.” He smiled at her sudden smile.

“I think I can cope with that.” She decided. “Dad.” She added trying it out.

“Maybe you should save it for special occasions and when you are trying to get something past me.” He suggested.

She grinned at him.

“I might just do that.” She murmured and leaned up on tiptoes to press a kiss to his cheek before spinning around and rushing embarrassed up the stairs.

• 3 weeks later...

Roman came back from his shift at the diner, he opened the front door and walked inside to find Miles seated on the sofa.

“Did we have plans?” he asked quickly scanning around the room.

Miles shook his head.

“Nope just brought over some beer.” He told him and saw Roman give him a grin.

“How did you know I needed a drink.” He asked.

“I have Nic and Aden in my class.” He pointed out.

Roman nodded and moved into the kitchen to fetch the beers from the fridge.

“And speaking of them where are they?” Roman asked.

Miles gave him a grin accepting a bottle from him.

“Well Aden and Geoff are upstairs and madam has gone for a walk, I believe she said she was getting the hell out of here before she had to watch us pash.”

Roman let out a brief laugh before undoing the bottle and talking a long drink.

“I think she’s coming around.” He said to Miles. “Don’t you?”

Miles grinned.

“Are you sure?” he asked quickly.

Roman nodded.

“She spoke to you, didn’t she?” he pointed out.

Miles laughed and took a drink of his beer sitting back on the sofa.

“So how are things going?” Miles asked him.

Roman shrugged.

“One moment I think everything is ok and the next I seem to have said something that makes me into the devil.” He gave Miles a quick grin. “I’m pretty sure that is normal with teenagers though.”

Miles nodded.

“Pretty normal.” He agreed and then turned his head as the door crashed open and Nicole arrived.

“Hello Nic.” Roman called out.

“Is he still here?” she asked him giving a sneering look to Miles.

“Why Hello Roman, how are you? School was ok.” Roman said in a high pitched voice. “I’m sure at some point in your life you were taught some manners Nicole.”

She glared at both of them and flounced up the stairs.

After a moment Roman walked over to the door and closed it at the same time they heard the bedroom door slam.

“And Hurricane Nicole has hit the building.” Roman said with an arched brow.

“Everyday?” Miles asked.

Roman nodded.

“Well maybe not.” He said after a moment moving over to the sofa. “Probably just seems like it.”

Miles gave him a sympathetic look and drained the rest of his beer.

“I better go. I don’t want to cause more problems.”

“Miles please stay.” Roman found himself saying. “I’m going to get some food. I could do with some adult company.”

Miles chuckled.

“I don’t know. Is she going to be here?” he said after a moment.

Roman gave him a look before realising the other man was joking.

“See I’m losing my sense of humour.” He mock groaned. “Save me.”

“Knock knock.” Miles began.

“I said save me not kill me.” Roman groaned.

“Knock knock.” Miles said again.

“Who’s there?” Roman asked him with a roll of his expressive blue eyes.

“Cash.”

“Cash who?” Roman found himself asking before he groaned.

“No thanks I prefer peanuts.” Miles rolled out the punch line.

“That is awful.” Roman said before he started laughing.

Miles nodded.

“Explains why I became a school teacher and not a stand up comedian.” He said straight-laced.

Roman nodded draining the rest of his beer. He stood up and moved to the kitchen snagging a couple of fresh beers before throwing together the ingredients for their meal. He started cooking before coming back and sitting with Miles.

“What’s for dinner? Aden called out coming down the stairs, Geoff following behind him.

“Roast leg of teenager.” Roman said.

“Cool.” Aden murmured moving to the fridge and getting out two cans of soda and handing one to Geoff.

“Do you ever get the feeling that no one listens to you anymore?” Roman asked Miles.

“That’s a dumb question to ask a teacher.” He pointed out. “Aden, Geoff what was the subject of today’s lesson?” he called out.

The two looked at each other and shrugged.

“Was there one?” Aden asked with a smirk.

“See what I mean.” Miles said to Roman grinning at the other man.

Roman chuckled and moved into the kitchen checking on the dinner before serving it up.

“Want me to give Nicole a call?” Aden asked.

Roman nodded watching as he moved up the stairs. He heard him knock on the door and the murmur of voices before focussing on the food.

“Looks good.” Geoff told him.

“Help yourself Geoff.” Roman murmured.

Miles walked over to the table and sank into a seat. At the same time Geoff sat down.

“The princess has said that she doesn’t want anything to eat.” Aden muttered coming down the stairs and back into the room.

Geoff grinned.

“I’m guessing that wasn’t the exact quote.” Roman muttered.

Aden looked at him as he too sat at the table.

“Oh yeah and don’t call her a Princess.” Roman added after a moment.

He drained his beer and moved over to the fridge to collect another one sinking back into his seat.

“Look it’s going to take time.” Aden said.

Roman gave him a look. Well, the look. The one that made him confess anything he had ever done wrong in his life and apologise for a few things he hadn’t done.

“Ok, I guess you knew that.” Aden added slowly.

“Just tell her about us.” Geoff said. “And then you and Miles can go back into the closet so to speak.”

Roman shook his head.

“Nicole has to learn that she can’t sulk and flounce her way out of tough situations. And she needs to know the boundaries of her behaviour.” Roman said after a long pause.

“It’s making life hell for you Roman.” Aden pointed out.

“I’m sure she isn’t enjoying herself too much either. I love my daughter I just don’t like her very much at the moment.” He said eventually.

Miles nodded his understanding.

“That’s ok. We don’t like her either.” Geoff blurted out.

Roman looked over at him before he let out a laugh.

Nicole walked home with Aden beside her. She didn’t talk to him.

“Princess.” He said tauntingly.

She ignored the comment despite the urge to spin around and slap him.

“I told you Geoff wouldn’t be interested in having lunch with you.” Aden murmured softly.

“Leave me alone Aden Jefferies.” She muttered walking into the house ahead of him.

He walked in behind her and dropped his bag next to hers on the floor.

“I can’t leave you alone Princess you were out of line today and we live together remember.” He pointed out heading into the kitchen before her.

She glared at him and followed him.

“So this religion thing is what is stopping Geoff from having a girlfriend?” she asked raising her perfectly arched eyebrow as she questioned him.

“Speaking to Annie?” Aden said quietly knowing that the girl was still in denial over him and Geoff dating.

“I have spoken to her yes.” Nic said coolly.

“And you think that you have a shot at Geoff?” he asked a strange note entering his voice.

She nodded twirling a strand of hair around her finger.

“Geoff will be a piece of cake.” She predicted. “Poor little farm boy.” She sighed.

Aden looked at her curiously and gave a quick evil grin.

“ I bet that you can’t seduce him.” he said after a moment his tone of voice cold.

She looked at him before reaching for the juice from the fridge and pouring out the last of it into her glass. She gave him a sigh before putting the carton back into the fridge.

He sighed and reached past her his body pressed against hers as he lifted the empty carton out and tossed it in the rubbish bin.

She spun around very slowly and looked down at his lips, lowering her lashes seductively and breathing out slowly.

“You want me Aden.” She said in a breathy sounding voice.

He smiled at her and leaned in closer.

“You know what Nicole I do want you.” He admitted. “But then I’[m in to that whole drag queen look and you’ve got it down to a fine art with all that make up you wear.”

She gave a gasp of hurt and pulled back starring at him with narrowed eyes.

“I’m going to get Geoff Campbell.” She declared her tone harsh sounding even to her.

Aden pulled back and smirked at her as he folded his arms across his chest just like Roman would.

”$200 bucks says you won’t ever get a kiss off him.” Aden muttered.

She looked him over and smiled again a cat got the cream type of smile and took a long slow drink of the juice.

“You have a deal.” She murmured.

“And you Princess have a week.” Aden said moving past her and up the stairs.

She gave a little laugh before feeling a shudder go over her when she heard his bedroom door slam and his music come on loud. The beat reverberated through the house and she found her sighing before she pulled out her phone.

“Hey Annie,” she murmured when the call connected, “Can you hear me?” she asked.

“Yeah Hello Nicole.” The other girl stuttered,

“Listen I totally need a favour.” She asked.

“Anything.” Annie murmured ignoring the glare from Geoff who was sitting on the sofa.

“”Well Aden is in a bad mood and he’s put his music on like really loud. Do you think I could come over and do some study at your place?” Nic murmured heading for the stairs to get changed.

“Of course you can. “ Annie said blushing.

“You’re a life saver!” Nic said in a breathy voice as she pulled out something to wear. “I’ll be over in ten. Byes.!” She added closing the phone.

She looked at the contents of her wardrobe and pulled on a short black skirt and a tight T-shirt adding a waistcoat over the top. She ruffled her hair up so it was even more fluffy and headed out of the house remembering at the last second to pick up her books.

She knocked on the door when she reached the beach house smiling at Geoff when he opened the door.

“Hey.” She said quietly lowering her lashes so he wouldn’t see her eyes looking over him.

“Hello.” He said being polite.

“Hey you’re here.” Annie said racing down the stairs to them.

Nic gave her a slow smile inwardly cursing that she had interrupted them so quickly.

“Yes Annie, I’m here.” Nic said softly.

She walked over to the table and put her books down.

“Can I get you a drink?” Annie said her voice an octave higher in pitch.

Geoff gave his sister a look before heading up the stairs.

“Oh Geoff.” Nic called.

He paused and looked at her.

“Don’t let me scare you off.” She said giving what she hoped was a hesitant smile.

“You aren’t Nicole I’ve got study to do.” He murmured.

She lowered her head fractionally for a second before looking at him.

“Why don’t you study with us?” Annie suggested sounding desperate almost.

“The more the merrier as far as I am concerned.” Nic said and added what she hoped was a nonchalant shrug.

Geoff gave a sigh and knew he couldn’t ignore the pleading look from Annie and he moved up the rest of their stairs to fetch his books down.

Annie looked at Nic and smiled.

“What shall we study first?” she asked.

Nic looked down at her books before picking up her English thinking that she could at least do that easily.

“This?” she murmured.

Annie smiled and picked up her own books looking over at them. She opened the English reader and began to look at it.

“I’ve read that book.” Nic murmured. “A long time ago.”

Annie blushed.

“Well I’m catching up.” She defended herself.

“I never understood it myself.” Nic added softly.

“Oh, it’s easy.” Annie said beginning to outline the story.

“Well that was a better explanation than my so called teacher came up with.” Nic said surprising herself with the fact she was being serious and not just saying it as a means to an end. She smiled at Annie and felt the smile develop into a grin when Annie smiled back.

“So what are we studying?” Geoff murmured.

“I’m looking at my English.” Nic told him.

She moved her things on the table accidentally, of course, touching his arm a couple of times.

He gave a small smile before sitting down with them. They studied in silence for a while before taking a break to get drinks.

“So what was the emergency that brought you over here?” Geoff asked her.

Nic fluttered her eyelashes at him and grinned.

“Aden got in a bad mood and slammed into his room putting his music on loud.” She said and pouted. “I know I’m not the most conscientious student but even I study sometimes.”

Geoff looked at her and caught Annie’s begging look. He tried to smile but felt his face freeze in a grimace.

“Sorry Annie.” he said to her. “ I’ve just remembered I have to go out. I’ll be back alter.” He added moving out of the house.

Nic and Annie looked at each other.

“What was that?” she asked Annie.

“Nothing. Shall we continue.” She said quickly moving over to the table and picking up a book.

Nic nodded and followed her sitting down a thoughtful expression on her face.

• 2 months later...

“Aden!” Geoff called walking into the house.

Aden walked to the top of the stairs and looked at him.

“What’s up?” Aden asked him.

“That was going to be my question to you.” Geoff murmured walked up the stairs. He reached Aden and placed his hands either side of the other man’s face and leaned in and kissed him.

“Not that I’m complaining but what are you doing here?” Aden asked him softly.

“Nicole told me that you were upset.” Geoff said.

Aden nodded and gave Geoff a smile.

“I was a bit.” He murmured feeling guilty.

“So I thought I’d come over and see you.” Geoff continued.

Aden looked into Geoff’s eyes and smiled the guilt slowly receding under a wave of happiness. He leaned forward and kissed him.

“Lets go upstairs.” Geoff suggested huskily.

Aden grinned at him.

“Are you trying to seduce me?” he asked him.

Geoff grinned.

“Nope Just thought we would be more comfortable than on the stairs.” He began. “I don’t mind going down.”

Aden chuckled at the phrasing he’d used and watched as Geoff blushed.

“Come on lets get a drink.” Aden suggested kissing Geoff once more before they moved down the stairs and into the neat kitchen.

“Roman keeps this place really neat.” Geoff commented.

“And his bedroom too.” Aden said and then looked at Geoff.

“And how exactly would you know about his bedroom?” Geoff asked a light in his eyes.

“Walking past his room when he had the door open.” Aden said quickly before he realised that Geoff was teasing him.

“Geoff.” He groaned before he joined in with the other man’s laughter.

“So what Nic said?” Geoff said softly.

Aden sat opposite him and felt a flare up of his guilt.

“About being upset?” Aden asked stalling for time.

Geoff nodded taking a sip of his drink.

“Nic been very forthright about things.” Aden began.

“I have noticed.” Geoff murmured. “I’ve just spent a hour sitting next to her. I’m not sure she is a good influence for Annie.”

Aden sighed once more resolving to have it out with Nic when she came home.

“Annie is a good kid.” Aden murmured. “I think maybe she would be a good influence on the Princess.”

“I thought I told you not to call my daughter that.” Roman murmured walking in through the door with a sack of groceries in each arm.

“Hello,” Geoff called out.

Roman grinned at them and put the brown paper bag on the side. He handed Aden his keys.

“There are a few more bags in the back.” He told him.

Aden looked at Geoff and rolled his eyes before heading out to fetch the food in.

“Hello Geoff are you staying for food?” Roman said softly.

“No sir, Irene has cooked for us I just came to see Aden for a bit.”

Roman turned away and looked at the wall to scrub the sudden mental image he had from his brain. ‘A bit of what?’ he thought.

“I think you can dispense with calling me Sir.” Roman told him.

“Sorry.” Geoff blurted biting off the second Sir. “Just that pops brought us up to be polite.”

“I know to respect your elders. I feel like reaching for my zimmer frame any second.” Roman told him teasingly

Geoff blushed and stammered out an inarticulate reply.

“I’m teasing you Geoff.” Roman told him grin.

Geoff looked at him and smiled as he relaxed.

“Seriously though, if you are going to keep calling me sir I expect you to stand up straight and salute.” Roman added a moment later.

“Roman.” Aden said from the doorway. “Stop picking on my boyfriend.”

He staggered in with three of the bags in his arms dropping them on the table tossing Roman back his keys.

“How much stuff do you buy?” Aden groaned.

“Interesting question. Seems I have to do this shopping thing several times a week now that teenagers have invaded.” Roman told him.

“Hey don’t blame just us.” Aden grumbled. “Miles seems to have moved in too.”

Roman nodded.

“You are so right.” He told him and reached for the newspaper on the top of one of the sacks. He opened it to the property section and began scanning the adverts.

“Oh.” Aden muttered watching him. “I didn’t mean it. I’ll be good.” He told him seeing Geoff smile.

“Be as good as you want I’m looking for a place for me that only has one bedroom.” Roman said to him keeping his face straight.

“You’d miss us.” Aden told him. “What would you do without us?”

Roman raised his eyebrow as he looked at him.

“I presume that was a rhetorical question?” he asked him.

Geoff stood up and moved closer to Aden.

Aden grinned and put his arm around Geoff’s shoulders.

“Incidentally where is my daughter?” Roman asked him.

“Oh now you notice that the house is quiet.” Aden said.

“No I actually noticed a while ago when I was driving down the street. Your music wasn’t playing and there were no slamming doors.” Roman said with a smile that was very close to a grimace.

Geoff chuckled.

“She’s at mine studying with Annie.” he told him.

“I’m sorry did you say studying?” Roman asked. “Aden what is the date?” he added quickly.

“What?” Aden gasped out.

“Just checking it isn’t April first.” Roman told them.

Geoff and Aden exchanged a look before laughing.

“I need to get home.” Geoff told him after a time.

Roman smiled as the two exchanged a look before kissing. Aden walked with him to the door and they kissed once more before the other man left.

“Ok do you need to talk to me?” Roman asked after a moment.

“How the hell did you work that one out?” Aden muttered folding his arms.

“I can’t give away all my secrets.” Roman told him.

Aden sighed.

“I don’t need to talk.” He murmured and turned away moving up the stairs. “Not to you anyway.” He added to himself. Inside he was wondering how to end the stupid bet with Nic before people got hurt.

• 3 weeks later...

“Geoff.” Nic murmured standing close to him.

They were in the diner and Geoff was collecting his lunch from Irene.

“What?” he turned and asked her.

“You’ve been avoiding me and I want to know why?” she said softly lowering her eyes to make it look like she was shy or something.

“I don’t think I’ve been avoiding you Nicole, I’m pretty busy most of the time and well you are my sister’s friend.” He said.

“So you are saying you aren’t my friend?” she asked making it sound as though any minute she would burst into tears.

Geoff gulped.

“Well of course I am but I think of you as more as Annie’s friend. Anyway I must go.” He said desperately.

“If you are going back to school I’ll walk with you.” She declared putting her arm through his.

Geoff looked over at Irene with the message help in his eyes. She gave him a smile before looking at them both.

“Actually Darl, he has to check on something for me.” She told Nic. “And I’m dying to have a chat with you.”

Nicole gave them both a glare before reluctantly releasing her hold on Geoff watching as he escaped through the door and she was stuck with Irene.

“You should give it up Girlie, he just ain’t interested in you.” Irene told her looking over at the girl in her too short school uniform, her long white stockings and impossibly high heeled shoes.

Nic glared at her and tossed her hair over her shoulder.

“He is too Irene Roberts, he just doesn’t know it yet.” She declared and stormed out of the diner.

She spotted Aden and Geoff talking in the distance and saw them pause and look over in her direction and knew they were talking about her. She fumed and narrowed her eyes as she glared at them.

“Who is on your hate list?” Belle asked her moving behind her and clearing a table.

“Just about everyone in this small hick town.” She declared.

“Surely not everyone?” Belle asked a hint of amusement in her brown eyes. “I mean you’ve only been here a little while you can’t possibly have met everyone.”

Nic looked at her and swore.

“Why can’t you keep out of it.” she muttered.

“What is with you Nicole?” Belle asked puzzled.

“This stupid small town is with me.” She moaned. “I tell you as soon as I can get out of here I’m leaving and no one is going to stop me.” She hissed at Belle. “You may like it here but I’m tired of living in other people’s pockets and having a curfew.”

Belle looked at the other girl and shrugged biting back the urge to laugh at her speech.

“You know what Nicole Franklin I think that you are afraid that in the move from the big bad city you’ll find yourself forgotten and maybe even rejected.” Belle told her softly.

“Hardly.” Nic sneered stalking off.

She kept the haughty look on her face until she had walked past the still Aden and Geoff and only then let the first tears into her sapphire eyes. There was no way Roman could reject her was there? He had made it clear that he wanted to get to know her but still the image of the calm way Roman accepted her declaration that she was moving back to Natalie’s, like that was even an option. She gasped at the feeling that maybe no-one wanted her and resolved to get Geoff by any means possible.

• 4 weeks later...

Nic approached Geoff on the beach. She’d watched and waited for him all day and she walked over to him wriggling her hips. She didn’t see Colleen walking along the beach so wrapped up in her plan to get Geoff to notice her. She waved at him before striding confidently into the waves waiting for him to walk to her. He turned and looked at his surfboard She took the chance and loosened the ties on her bikini top. She removed it altogether and let it drop into the bluey-green waves below her. The current dragged it away causing her scream to be more real than faked. She ducked down in the water casting frantic glances around for her costume.

“Nic.” Geoff called her name striding over to her.

“Oh Geoff.” She cried out trying to sound surprised.

“I heard you scream what happened?” he asked her.

“Well it’s like this my top came loose.” She explained.

“Yeah?” he asked.

She eased up a little her arms folded across her chest barely covering her breasts.

“Oh I see.” He murmured embarrassed.

She nodded.

“Can you see it?” she asked moving slowly around.

She could feel his eyes watching her as she turned in the water and deliberately licked her lips

“No.” he said casting a look at the water.

Nic half smiled and turned to him still keeping her fingers splayed across her ample breasts.

“Oh no.” she cried out.

Geoff tried to keep his eyes on the water and not her but the way her hands were holding her own breasts seemed to be distracting him.

She gave a gasp and pointed to her top seeing it on the water.

He saw her hands move away from protecting her body and gave a little moan before seeing where she was pointing. Grateful for the distraction he dived shallowly into the cooling water and swam to where her top had been floating a moment before. Grabbing hold of it he managed to snare the ties around his wrist before lifting his hand out of the water.

“I’ve got it.” he cried pushing water out of his eyes and turning towards her. He moved through the water and handed over the top. Nic smiled as she accepted it from him noticing that it took him a minute before he turned away to allow her the privacy to put it back on.

“There.” Nic declared. “But well,.” She paused.

“Yes?” Geoff asked turning back around and looking at her.

“Well do you think you could check that the tie at the back is tight enough.” She asked breathlessly.

Geoff gulped before coming over to her. His fingers fumbled on the straps as he retied the bow in her bright yellow bikini top.

“Thanks.” Nic said turning quickly and placing a kiss on his cheek.

Geoff wasn’t quite quick enough to pull his hand away and it brushed against her breast. She closed her eyes to hide a look of triumph.

“Oh.” He said and stepped back.

The swirling current knocked against his knees and he planted his feet firmly feeling strangely off balance.

“I should go.” He announced. “I’ve got homework to do.” He grabbed at an excuse.

“Ok.” Nic said brightly. “Thanks for being my hero today.”

Geoff nodded unable to control his blush. He spun around and strode up to the beach picking up his surfboard and striding away.

He didn’t see Colleen standing on the beach watching them.

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the comments. Apologies for the delay but here is an update....

“Nicole get down here.” Roman called out as soon as he walked through the door. He tossed his keys in the dish on the console table behind the door and waited one hand on the newel post at the bottom of the stairs.

Nic cautiously put her head around the top of the stairs and looked down.

“Roman?” she asked in a breathy voice.

“Get down here. Now.” He shouted.

She gulped and eased down the stairs slowly one step at a time. She stalled for as long as possible and gasped when Roman caught hold of her arm and dragged her into the lounge.

“Roman wait.” She moaned paling at the display of anger on her father’s face.

“Tell me you weren’t frolicking on the beach topless?” he shouted his face close to hers.

“I wasn’t.” she stuttered before remembering. “Oh!” she gasped.

“So now you’ve remembered.” He said sneering.

“It was an accident.” she muttered.

“Oh so your top fell off?” he asked her.

“Look everyone does it. Why are you so upset?” she said affecting a nonchalant tone.

“Because I’m disappointed in you. I’m upset that you don’t have anymore respect for yourself than to bare your breasts for everyone to see.” Roman said in a calmer tone of voice.

Nic looked up at him and felt a deep sense of shame. Not for the topless bit but the fact she was leading Geoff on. She groaned and paled even more.

“What has she done now?” Aden asked walking through the door. “Must be pretty bad because I heard you shouting down the street.”

“Aden please go to your room.” Roman asked rubbing a hand over his face.

He gave Nic a look and slowly eased up the stairs making it clear to her that he was going to listen in. She glared at him and folded her hands around herself not realising that her body language was defensive. Her shoulders were hunched and she couldn’t meet Roman’s gaze.

“It’s not as bad as you think.” She burst out with unable to stand the silence or his disappointment.

“How is it not as bad as I think Nicole? Were you or were you not nearly naked on the beach with Geoff?” Roman asked her.

“Wait Geoff!” Aden burst out with, turned and running back down the stairs. “What about Geoff?” he asked her.

“Aden please.” Roman said softly.

“Yeah I was with Geoff.” Nic cried out looking at Aden. “He wasn’t complaining like you two.”

Roman looked at his petulant daughter and sighed unaware that his disappointment was worse than any punishment he could bestow.

“So what Nic, were you that desperate to win the bet?” Aden snapped out.

“What bet?” Roman asked coldly.

Aden blanched and looked at the floor.

“He bet me that I couldn’t get Geoff to kiss me!” Nic muttered thinking that would deflect Roman’s anger.

“Wait?” Roman muttered folding his arms and looking at the pair of them. “You did that?” he asked Aden.

Aden nodded slowly.

“She was being a pain. I lost my temper.” He tried to explain.

“Aden you need to go explain that to Geoff.” Roman said softly.

Aden paled before heading out of the house.

“Wait so he gets off and I’m stuck here being punished.”

“No Nicole. You aren’t stuck here. You can go.”

She looked at him and then realisation dawned.

“What no.” she gasped. “You can’t send me back there.” she added.

“Pack your bags.” Roman told her. “I’m not prepared to put up with your behaviour Nicole. You can’t respect my boundaries then you can go back to your mother.”

She looked at him and blinked back tears before turning and running up the stairs. Roman flinched as he heard her bedroom door close with just a click.

Archived