Melissa George

Guest ter06

As Dan said she does seem to contradict what she thinks - earlier this year at the Oscar's in America, she was interviewed on camera and brought up Home and Away herself on the red carpet.

She probably just feels frustrated that the tag remains after 17 years and her work post H&A isn't recognized as much. Of course she remembers her name, she was probably being tongue in cheek or something, there's no possible way to forget something like that unless you have amnesia.

To be honest I'd understand if she played a clone of herself or cliched teenager written inconsistently or shallow and about romance after romance - but I don't think there is anything embarrassing about the character Angel, she was really well written and had loads of character depth and she was apart of the show when it was at its peak in popularity around the world, great quality writing...etc

She sounds full of it. I bet it just annoys her that people still associate her with something from the mid-90's, but there is no way she can't remember the name. After being called Angel as part of her job for three years, especially in the role that made her a star, I highly doubt she has forgotten the name. Angel isn't exactly a forgettable name, is it? It isn't as if she was called Jean or Ann, or something boring like that.

Angel was an awesome character, and Melissa should be grateful she had the part, because I'm sure a lot of people who were fans of Angel might specifically take an interest in Melissa's other roles. I've seen a few of her movies, like 30 Days Of Night, Newport South, and The Amityville Horror, and seeing her in those films made me think "oh look, it's Angel!", which actually made them more enjoyable to watch.

I think you all are missing the point here with Melissa and "Home And Away".

She isn't ashamed at having been associated with "Home And Away". She's probably embarrassed at her own performance on the show compared with the work she has done in America since then. It's extremely common for a lot of actors to brush aside their earliest credits because quite frankly a lot of them are a little embarrassed by their earliest work.

Melissa isn't alone in this...I can't recall the last time John Travolta felt like talking up his time on "Welcome Back Kotter" or Tom Hanks felt like speaking about his sitcom from the early eighties "Bosom Buddies". Two of my favorite actresses Susan Dey & Helen Hunt who got their start in the business as teenagers have both gone on record that they don't particularly care for their earliest work and in the case of Susan Dey that would include one of the most beloved sitcoms of the seventies "The Partridge Family".

It doesn't mean they aren't grateful for the opportunities that were given them or they are embarrassed to have their name associated with projects from years ago but on the same token probably don't regard them as good representations as to what they are capable of as actors.

I can understand where some of you are coming from though...its funny as much as a lot of actors seem to brush aside their earliest roles its often their first few roles (which were usually the ones where audiences first fell in love with them) are the ones that their fans still love the most. For many people Susan Dey will always be Laurie Partridge, John Travolta will always be Vinnie Barbarino or Tony Manero and Melissa George to many will always be Angel Brooks/Parish.

I think you all are missing the point here with Melissa and "Home And Away".

She isn't ashamed at having been associated with "Home And Away". She's probably embarrassed at her own performance on the show compared with the work she has done in America since then. It's extremely common for a lot of actors to brush aside their earliest credits because quite frankly a lot of them are a little embarrassed by their earliest work.

Melissa isn't alone in this...I can't recall the last time John Travolta felt like talking up his time on "Welcome Back Kotter" or Tom Hanks felt like speaking about his sitcom from the early eighties "Bosom Buddies". Two of my favorite actresses Susan Dey & Helen Hunt who got their start in the business as teenagers have both gone on record that they don't particularly care for their earliest work and in the case of Susan Dey that would include one of the most beloved sitcoms of the seventies "The Partridge Family".

It doesn't mean they aren't grateful for the opportunities that were given them or they are embarrassed to have their name associated with projects from years ago but on the same token probably don't regard them as good representations as to what they are capable of as actors.

I can understand where some of you are coming from though...its funny as much as a lot of actors seem to brush aside their earliest roles its often their first few roles (which were usually the ones where audiences first fell in love with them) are the ones that their fans still love the most. For many people Susan Dey will always be Laurie Partridge, John Travolta will always be Vinnie Barbarino or Tony Manero and Melissa George to many will always be Angel Brooks/Parish.

True alot of the cast who have left dont even talk about it so what if she cant remember her character

• 4 weeks later...

I'm just confused now and don't know what to believe :P So she 'can't remember Angel's name' but remembers Sarah Thompson....?

At least this one is mostly good.....

Ex Home and Away star Melissa George is astonished that the soap she started her career in is still going more than a decade after she left.

The actress played Angel Parrish in the early 1990s and is now a film star, appearing in 30 Days of Night, Music Within and Derailed.

While promoting her new film Triangle she spoke about the soap: "Is it still on, that's amazing.

“I haven't seen it since. I only watch my own work, when I'm on it."

She added: "I'll tell you this, having done lots of productions since then, that was one of the most organised productions. My script was always on time, I never had rewrites, I never had delays in scheduling - Home And Away was a well-oiled machine."

Melissa explained that she doesn’t stay in touch with most of her old co-stars from the soap.

The actress said: "I keep in touch with Laura Vazquez, who played Sarah Thompson - she's one of my best friends today, she's just such a great girl.

"To be honest, the rest of the cast, I have not spoken to any one of them but I think about them a lot. It's just that I don't have Pippa's home number, or the actress who played Pippa. I don't have their numbers any more because it was so long ago."

http://www.whatsontv.co.uk/soaps/home-and-...away-shock/7017

I'm just confused now and don't know what to believe :P So she 'can't remember Angel's name' but remembers Sarah Thompson....?

At least this one is mostly good.....

Ex Home and Away star Melissa George is astonished that the soap she started her career in is still going more than a decade after she left.

The actress played Angel Parrish in the early 1990s and is now a film star, appearing in 30 Days of Night, Music Within and Derailed.

While promoting her new film Triangle she spoke about the soap: "Is it still on, that's amazing.

“I haven't seen it since. I only watch my own work, when I'm on it."

She added: "I'll tell you this, having done lots of productions since then, that was one of the most organised productions. My script was always on time, I never had rewrites, I never had delays in scheduling - Home And Away was a well-oiled machine."

Melissa explained that she doesn’t stay in touch with most of her old co-stars from the soap.

The actress said: "I keep in touch with Laura Vazquez, who played Sarah Thompson - she's one of my best friends today, she's just such a great girl.

"To be honest, the rest of the cast, I have not spoken to any one of them but I think about them a lot. It's just that I don't have Pippa's home number, or the actress who played Pippa. I don't have their numbers any more because it was so long ago."

http://www.whatsontv.co.uk/soaps/home-and-...away-shock/7017

Well she seems to me like she likes to joke around.

Who was playing Pippa when Angel was on show, Vanessa or Debra? I have a mind blank today.

I think it's a bit of a contradiction if Home and Away were the best years of her life, but she can't remember her character's name.

And if H&A fans still remember Angel & Shane, then obviously the acting she did was pretty great.

If I was here, I wouldn't be embarrassed, or ashamed of my early work, if that's the reason she won't really talk about it.

It was nice that she complimented H&A though. :)

Archived