Ruby/Charlie

ctang

I really dont like this storyline, to me it has to many big holes in it. When we first got to know charlie and Ruby it was Ruby who was the most mature one. And then all the years that has gone since Charlie was raped...., and she just have to forget about it..., why has she never shown any kind of bitterness towards her father????

But I have never liked neither of them. I think that Charlie has been too inconsistently written. And they changed her age too. Ruby has always seemed too "high" in my opinion. She is acting like a robot which is out of control. Remember when she first met Xavier. She basically throw herself at him, and I don't think that is realistic when you think about a fifteen (she was 15 at that time) girl. I have always thought that Rebecca Breeds should have played an older carachter, it doesn't seem right when she is with Annie.... (and we know Rebecca is 22 in real life).

And it has been too many rape storylines during the past two years... I think they should have waited a while with this one...

Actually she did have bitterness towards her dad. I watched a clip the other day and Ruby said to Charlie "when are you going to stop being so angry with dad" to which Charlie answered "I can't help it I feel like he is treating mum with such disrespect" which lead Ruby to say "Come on Charls, this isn't just about mum, you have been angry with dad for as long as I can remember" and Charlie told her he has always let her down. And she looked pretty angry and upset about it but Ruby never pressed the issue from there. And this was way back when he first starting dating Morag. So the groundwork was there. Whether they had the storyline in mind or not, they used previous scenes and background to their advantage and it worked.

I loved their bond and its sad to see Ruby pushing Charlie further away. Realistically it has to take time, but I hope they come out of it stronger than before.

Edited by darkangel20

While I agree it's sad to see two people who were so close, now be so far apart, I think I like the fighting.

Obviously in terms of the story it's more realistic than Ruby just accepting it and them all just getting on like nothing happened. But also I think it's quite enjoyable to watch them struggling. That probably sounds a bit cruel, but I think it goes to show how well they built up the Charlie/Ruby relationship, that we care so much that it's falling apart.

They have to be carefull though, because it could go on for too long, and leave us all wishing they'd drop it and not really caring if they ever make up. Likewise they could drop it too soon, as happenes often in home and away, and then it wouldn't be very real at all.

After the grant kidnapping, when ruby moved back in, I thought that was it, and I have to say I was annoyed that they would be reconciled after such a short time, and such a horrible event. So I was kind of glad when Ruby moved out again.

• 1 month later...

I feel quite sorry for Charlie just now. I understand how much Ruby's life has changed and she has a lot to deal with - but i do wish she'd try and realise how hard it must be for Charlie to take a back seat and not get involved. I think in many ways though Ruby is just acting like a typical 16 year old and doesn't realise how immature she is being most of the time.

I seriously have to disagree with the poster above, i don't ever remember being as mature as Ruby is at 16. I was definatly not equipt enough to handle things the way she does, but i do remember believing that you know everything and anything, and most importantly that you are always right beyond reasonable doubt. Only when i think back now i know that i was totally wrong, and stupidly stubborn.

Obviously everyone knows that she has been through a hell of a lot within such a short amount of time, so obviously her trust is somewhat wavering in those that she loves. If her most closest confident has managed to lie to her for 16 years, and Ross has managed to deceive the family and managed to murder somebody under their nose then of course she is going to want to go it alone, because Geoff and herself are the only people she can trust.

I did feel really sorry for Charlie today, but i couldn't help but find the whole situation quite amusing. Charlie is a control freak. Fact. It's ironic in the way that now she is at a stage of her life where she can deal with Ruby as her daughter, that Ruby is past the point of needing any external help what's so ever.

But no matter what Charlie will always be her mother and Ruby will always need her in her own time. I did cheer though when Charlie said that she was allowed to be worried because she was her mother. That was a nice touch by the writers.

Edited by Yorkshire-Gal

• 3 weeks later...

I loved all the Charlie/Ruby storylines surrounding Ruby's true heritage and Charlie's rape. I agree that the groundwork was always there with Charlie's character for something like this, especially with the stuff about Charlie never really getting on with her dad.

I can't wait for Ruby to call Charlie 'mum.' I think that Charlie is really trying to make an effort to step into that role herself which can't be easy given the 16 years of pretending to be her sister, and she is coming across a little overbearing with the whole diabetes thing, but I can sort of see why. She can finally act in the capacity of Ruby's mum now everything is out in the open, and she's sort of trying to find her way and change as she goes along, stepping on Ruby's toes a little in the process.

I agree with the above poster who said that they'll probably get the Ruby calling her 'mum' scene with one of them in the hospital. I always thought that would be the way they'd do it. I mean, it's completely obvious but it's actually realistic. I think Ruby needs Charlie's lives to be in danger and at risk of losing her to put everything in perspective for her. Fair enough she's 16 and her life has been turned upside down. She needs time to get over that and comes to term with everything that's happened, but the prospect of losing Charlie will make her realise that she needs to accept the past and move on, giving Charlie the chance to be her mum and having that great relationship or continue to be uncertain around her and possibly lose her before they've really had a chance to connect as a mother/daughter relationship. She's already lost one mum and she's kind of been given a second chance with Charlie but she could lose her too if she's not careful.

• 1 month later...

i agree with wat u say above

i would love 2 see a sweet hospital scene where rubys worried sick like or charlie could have saved ruby but left her own life in danger:):) i know cruel but it would knock some sence into ruby!!! who is being really stubborn!! but i guss she got that frm her mam lol!!!

and i cant wait for her to call her mom charlie will be so happy and surprised

maybe when geoff leaves charlie can move in and support ruby like she always does and bam we get our mam and daughter relationship. can not wait

and looking back at epis i think wooo she does that coz she her mam extra lol and that means sumone now unlike before when it was just a passing comment lol

all we need is a criminal with a gun looking at ruby and charlie jumping in front and bam we have scene lol

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone else but me go a little "aaaaw" when Charlie said yesterday; Ruby needs her mum....... ?

and I loved the dancing in the episodes before xmas... (: Charlie and Ruby are my main reason for watching HAA now.. I lost interest after Joey left, don't know why, since I've been watching HAA for almost 10 years now... I just got into it when the Charlie/Ruby SL started..