Empty Road

Guest MizzyBee123

Chapter 11

It was a beautiful day, the sun shining brightly in the sky. Birds happily singing their songs as the sound of the ocean waves crashing against the shore vibrated in air. As he entered through the gate, he could see the brightly coloured flowers lying neatly on the ground. With his head down he strolled over, a sombre expression on his face. It was peaceful here, no commotion or insensitivity about at all, just stillness and harmony. He stood in front of it, his mind totally focussed on the image of her face. She was beautiful, her golden hair and breath taking smile, brightened its dull and dark appearance. Nicole Franklin was the girl who had stolen his heart, and Josh was the one who had stolen her life. Geoff collapsed to his feet, his sobs growing as the reality hit him again and again. He touched the gravestone gently with his hand. His beautiful Nicole was gone and he’d never see her again.

“Geoff, Geoff, wake up. She’s out of surgery already. They managed to get the bullet out”, Jai nudged Geoff as they sat side by side on the chairs in the waiting area. Geoff immediately sat bolt right up. His eyes were still tired but he made sure he was fully awake. At first, he was a little confused and dazed from his dream. It felt so real but he soon came back to reality. Nicole was still around, though she was still fighting for her life. Geoff got to his feet just as the trolley came back from theatre. He could see her lying as still as can be, tubes coming from all angles. It was a shock at first. The last time he saw her like this was after they’d been rescued from the Island. That seemed so long ago compared to now, and he was still just as concerned about her then as now. The nurses wheeled her into an available room and closed the door behind them. He looked on as the door shut and then he sat back down in the seat again. More waiting.

“I’m afraid it may take some time for Nicole to regain consciousness. Her body has been through quite an ordeal and it’s too early to tell whether she’s out of danger yet or not. All you can do is wait until she’s ready” the doctor said very seriously, offering sympathy. Geoff nodded in agreement, turning to look at Jai.

“You should go home, have a shower and get out of those clothes.” Geoff looked down; his shirt was covered in dried blood stains.

“But what if she wakes up?” Geoff asked, attempting to decline the suggestion.

“Then I’ll call you, go on” Jai urged him. Reluctantly, Geoff agreed turning and hurriedly walking out of the hospital, the quicker he left, the quicker he could get back.

It was around 2am when Geoff arrived home. As he switched on the light in the living room, he noticed Annie had waited up for him. She was sat at the kitchen table with a mug full of coffee. As soon as she saw Geoff she leapt up from her seat and ran at him, throwing her arms around him.

“I’m so sorry Geoff, it’s all my fault. If I hadn’t met Josh then none of this would have happened..."

“Annie..”, Geoff tried to interrupt, but failed to do so.

“...and you would never have been in danger...” she continued not stopping for air.

“Annie, stop” Geoff repeated shaking his head.

“...and Nicole would never have been shot” she finally finished, trying to catch her breath through the tears that were falling from her eyes.

“Annie, I said its okay. And it’s not your fault. You didn’t know what he was capable of”

“How is she? Is she awake?” Annie asked, silently praying that he’d say yes.

“They can’t really say anything until she regains consciousness. She’s just laying there, tubes coming out of her and an oxygen mask over her face.” He told her sadly “Anyway, I just came home to get changed I’m going straight back there” he said, hurrying over to the bathroom, not giving Annie time to react or say a word. As he closed the door, he turned and caught a glimpse of himself in the mirror. His eyes were red and bloodshot, his tie loose around his neck with the top couple of buttons undone. As he looked at his refection, he could see the stain that had spread across the material of his shirt. As he opened the rest of the buttons, he noticed he had dry blood smeared across his abdomen. She’d bled so heavily it had covered his skin too, seeping through onto his stomach. Images of the past few hours clouded his mind as he let out his frustration and slammed his fist against the mirror, cracking it in an instant. It hurt, of course it did, but the hurt he was feeling inside numbed the physical pain completely. He cried into his hands as he sank to the floor, curling himself up into a ball. He just wanted to wake up, this wasn’t real, it couldn’t be. He just needed to pinch himself and it would be fine. Nicole would be okay and everything would go back to normal. Who was he kidding? He ran his fingers vigorously through his hair in anguish as he let out a wave of emotion, sobbing louder and louder. Annie heard him cry as she sat on the other side of the door, her back leaning against the wood of the door. Her brother was devastated, hurting so much and she couldn’t say or do anything to help. She felt guilty, guilty that she could have done something to prevent this in the first place, or that was how she saw it anyway.

The phone rang as Annie awoke from her light sleep. She had been curled up on the sofa watching TV and must have fallen asleep. As she raced to pick up the phone, Geoff beat her to it by seconds. He’d been in the bathroom ages and the phone call was the only thing to entice him from it in an hour.

“Hello??” he answered quickly, in hope of news.”Miles, yeah I’m okay thanks. How is she? Is there any change? Oh okay, sure I can. I’m leaving now so I’ll head over there first. Is there anything specific I need to get? Right, okay. I promise I won’t be long. Bye” he finished and placed the phone back in its holder.

“That was Miles. He wants me to go over to his place and get some of Nicole’s stuff, pack a bag with some things for when she wakes up” he said looking around for his keys.

“Can’t Jai do it?” she asked softly.

“Err, no he wants to stay at the hospital and Miles doesn’t want to leave him alone so he asked me to do it. There’s a spare key hidden somewhere so I’ll have to let myself in” he said, rushing to gather what he needed before leaving.

“Do you want me to come too, I could help find...” Annie began before Geoff cut her off.

“No thanks Annie, why don’t you try and get some sleep. I’ll call you if there’s any news” he said rushing towards the door. Annie looked on, her face solemn in grief. How could she sleep after everything that’s gone on tonight?

Finding the spare key wasn’t very hard. Mile’s pots were in a perfect straight line bar one of them. Bingo! As Geoff let himself into the house, it was consumed in cold darkness. He grappled the wall until he found the light switch, allowing a gigantic glow to illumine the entire room. Geoff squinted as he closed the door behind him, venturing further into the room. As he reached the foot of the stairs, he tried to think what it was Nicole would want when she woke up, which clothes, which make up etc. etc. He climbed the stairs until he finally reached her room and flicked on the light as he entered. For a second he stood still, looking around. This room held so many memories for him, some good and some bad. He could still see a very angry Nicole stood next to her bed throwing a book at him and throwing her arms up in the air in fury when he accused her of being a selfish cow, and he could see the two of them laughing and joking on the bed as they had a pillow fight, feathers floating everywhere. He smiled to himself as he saw a hollow image of her in his mind, screaming and screeching in delight. He looked down to the floor where he spotted an empty sports bag. It was the bag she used to use to go to the gym. He leaned down to grab it and placed it on the bed as he moved over to grab her case. It was already unzipped, clothes shoved in left, right and centre. As he moved some items out of the way so that he could find bits and pieces he’d thought she might need, he came across a framed photo. It was picture of her and her dad from when she first came to the Bay. Geoff’s mouth kicked into a faint smile as he looked at the picture. Both of them looked so happy and so close. Nobody could have predicted the future. He placed the framed photograph into the bag, before rifling through her case to collect as many clothes as he could to fit into the bag. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw the corner of a book sticking out from under her pillow. He thought it would be something for her to read when she woke up and so reached over to get it. As he brought it closer, he noticed that in fact it wasn’t a book she’d been reading, but her personal diary. He held it for a few seconds, tempted to take a peek but ever being such an honest Christian child, he couldn’t. Instead, he reached to place it into the bag. His grip loosened and it fell to the ground, a piece of paper floating away from the diary, onto the floor beside it. As he bent down to retrieve it, he found that it wasn’t a loose piece of paper; it was another photograph, the photograph of the two of them at their senior formal. As he flipped it over he found the words “Nicole hearts Geoff 4eva” scribbled in pencil across the corner. He smiled as he read it, thinking back to that time when everything was so simple. They had no worries, only dreams but now well, it felt like they were all trapped in a nightmare and it was never going to end. He gently rubbed his finger across the surface of the photo before gently placing it back inside of the diary. As he finished packing as much as he could into the bag, he pulled the zip across to secure it. Walking back out of the room, the bag in his hand he moved towards the door. He shifted on his heels as he looked around the room once again. Though he’d been away for so long, there was still a warm, familiarity to it. He’d spent many nights here, staying over when he was dating Nicole and it hadn’t changed a bit. Her perfume filled the air as he lightly breathed in and out. Geoff raised his hand and flicked the switch again; turning out the light and heading back down stairs, out of the house.

“How is she? Is there any change?” Geoff asked, bombarding Jai and Miles as he dumped the packed bag on a chair next to Jai. Miles stood up, facing him.

“No change. She’s still the same.” He informed Geoff.”Thanks for picking up some things for her”. Geoff nodded in response.

“Has anyone told Roman?” Geoff asked, looking at both Miles and Jai. Miles shook his head. “Well, don’t you think we should? He has a right to know his daughters in hospital” Geoff started, a little agitated.

“I think its best we tell him in person. I don’t think calling him is a good idea.” Miles explained, trying to calm the situation.

“Well, then tomorrow I’ll go and see him. He needs to know” Geoff announced, taking the responsibility on his own shoulders. He fell that he had to take control of everything, like it was his duty to; he owed Nicole that at least. So he had to be the one to tell her dad, explain everything that has happened, and comfort him when he learns of her injuries. As Geoff looked away, his attention was diverted to a silent figure sat on the end chair of the same waiting area. As he looked closer he couldn’t believe his eyes.

“Tom?” Geoff asked, wondering why he’d turned up. He was the last person Geoff wanted to see right now. Tom raised his head and slowly stood up.

“Look, I don’t want any trouble. I’m just here for Nicole. I want to see that she’s alright” He explained calmly.

“Alright? Tom, she’s in there fighting for her life, she hasn’t just fallen over and grazed her knee! She’s been shot for God’s sake!” Geoff snapped, directing his anger straight at Tom. Deep down it wasn’t Tom he was angry at. He was angry at himself still, for letting it get this far. If he hadn’t decided to take Josh on all by himself, then Nicole wouldn’t have followed them and she’d have never been in that room.

“I’m sorry, I know” Tom spoke in a loud whisper, a tear in his eye. Geoff looked at him, seeing that Tom was just as cut up about this as him. Seeing the emotion in Tom’s face dampened Geoff’s anger as he collapsed into one of the chairs.

“It should have been me, not her. I should be in there” Geoff muttered, regret and sadness consuming him. “She can’t die, she can’t” he sobbed as he lifted his hand to wipe his eyes. Composing himself as quick as possible, he stood up.“I need to see her” he stated before heading over to where the doctor was checking over Nicole’s notes. Miles and Jai looked on and then glanced at each other. Geoff wasn’t coping at all but how could they help him?

Chapter 12

He gently closed the door then turned around, gazing at her lying in the bed. The only sounds that could be heard were the beeping and whirring of the machine’s she was connected to. The decor of the room was just as expected, plain and boring. A bunch of flowers was placed on the window sill. Geoff couldn’t help but think it was a pathetic attempt at bringing a cheerful atmosphere to the room. There wasn’t much chance of that as no amount of flowers could make Nicole instantly better. He didn’t know why but he could feel the nerves gathering in his stomach as he walked over to her. He felt like he was standing in a room full of people, not just one. There was a hard, plastic chair on the left side of the bed and he reached over to position it closer. He eased his weight down onto the chair, unsure of what he was going to do whilst he sat there. He began to fidget, pulling at the thread on his jeans, straightening his top before running his hands through his hair. Eventually running out of things to pick at or play with, he plucked up the courage to gently move his hand and placed it on top of hers. His touch was delicate as he loosely held her hand, not wanting to hurt her more than he already had. There was a ring placed on the middle finger of her left hand, and he ran his fingers of the top of it, back and forth as he focussed on something to look at. He gently laughed at himself, so scared to be alone in a room with the girl who had his heart, but she was barely conscious. After taking a deep breath he looked up at her face, tears in his eyes as he saw the mask covering her mouth, her eyelids firmly closed.

“I don’t know why I’m finding this so hard, I’ve always been able to talk to you. It took all I had to walk over here and sit with you” he paused smiling, and then taking in another breath. “I’ve brought you some things, some clothes and err music, magazines; they’re all there for you when you wake up. And don’t you worry I’ll sort something out about the look of this room. It’s too boring and simple for Nicole Franklin. It definitely needs some colour to it. I’ll have a word with the nurse...” he paused again, looking around the room then alternating between glancing at her face and her hand he was so gently holding in his. Focussing on her face and leaning closer, he whispered in hope that she’d hear, “I’m sorry, Nic. I....” a tear rolled down his cheek, “I should’ve protected you better, like I promised I would...”, a look of disgust forming across his face, thinking of how he’d let her down. “You know, I keep replaying it over and over in my head, and I know I should have stopped you; I should have pushed you away. I’d have taken that bullet, if it meant that you’d be okay. But now you’re in here and I can’t do anything. Listen to me, you have to get better, Nic. I meant what I said before when you were....laying there. My feelings haven’t changed ...and I guess I knew as soon as I saw you again on the beach that day. I just couldn’t admit it” He confessed, gradually lifting her hand up to his mouth as he rested his lips on her soft skin. After a few moments, he placed her hand back down onto the bed beside her and rose from the seat, tears in his eyes. He leaned forward, pulling back stray pieces of her soft blond hair with his fingertips, from her forehead. He gently stroked her hair as he took a few seconds to look at her, so still and peaceful. Leaning a little further, he kissed above her brow before pulling back and smiling.“I’ll wait as long as it takes for you to find your way back to me” he whispered, turning around and slowly walking out of the room.

“Annie, Wait up!” Jai shouted, as he glided through the grains of sand to get to her. Annie turned around in surprise then showed half a smile before frowning again.

“How are you?” he questioned, walking along side her. Annie looked at him, and then looked back down at her feet. “Sorry, stupid question, you must still be in shock” he muttered.

“I just can’t help but feel guilty, Jai. I wish I hadn’t met him in the first place” Annie expressed with a great sigh.

I know but there’s no way you could have stopped him. The guy wasn’t right in the head, and we all fell for it too” he comforted.

“How’s Nicole? I haven’t seen Geoff since the middle of the night; I guess he’s still at the hospital.”

“He was but he said he had something important to do, I’ve just came from there. I needed some air. There’s no change, she’s still unconscious. It could be a while until she’s ready to wake up. I hate seeing her in there. Since she moved in with us, I’ve seen her as a sister and it kills me that I can’t make it better for her” Jai confessed. Annie looked at him and raised her eyebrows. “Sorry, maybe I should have re-phrased that a bit better” he shook his head in stupidity.

“It’s okay, I knew what you meant. I really hope she’s okay too. I know how upset Geoff is, and I know how much she means to you too. We just have to be positive I guess, she’ll pull through, if anyone’s strong enough to do it, it’s Nicole Franklin!” she said smiling, placing her hand on his shoulder as they walked further along the beach.

“Annie?” Jai said nervously, twisting his head to look at her as they strolled in rhythm.

“Hmmm” Annie replied before lazily lifting her head to look at him. In absolute surprise, and from out of nowhere, she felt his soft lips touch hers within seconds. Initially, it felt right and she relished in the enjoyment before her sense took over and she pulled her head back away from Jai’s.

“You can’t do this, we can’t do this. Think of Ruby”, She stressed, raising her hand up to her face in shock at what they’d just done.

“I can’t help my feelings for you, Annie.” Jai stated, almost as if he’d forgotten about his girlfriend.

“But I’m not with you any more Jai. You can’t just go from me to Ruby and then back and forth. It doesn’t work like that.”

“I know that and I do care for Ruby, I do but she’s not you” he confessed meaningfully. Annie didn’t know what to say. Part of her wanted to throw her arms around him and forget the rest of the world but she knew she couldn’t do that. It would break Ruby’s heart if she knew.

“Jai, I’m sorry. I can’t hurt Ruby; she’s one of my best friends. You may be able to live with it but I can’t. I’ve got to go” she said turning her back on him and rushing away.

“Annie, wait!” he called after her unsuccessfully. He rubbed his hands through his hair as he kicked the sand in a rage. What had he just done?

As the buzzer sounded, Geoff jumped slightly again. He hated this place and couldn’t understand how Roman coped with it every day. The same miserable faces entered through the door way a she awaited to see the familiar face he’d always looked up to. Eventually, Roman surfaced with a smile on his face.

“Geoff, what are you doing here?” he asked surprised but curious too. As he eased himself into his chair he could see that Geoff had something on his mind.

“Hey, ahhh well erm” he began unable to think of a way best to inform him of Nicole’s situation. Roman stared at him, wondering what on earth was wrong. “I’ve got something to tell you, it’s about Nicole” he pushed out the words. Roman half rolled his eyes.

“What’s she gone and done now? I tell you that daughter of mine...”, he began light heartedly.

“She’s in hospital Roman” he spat out, unable to keep it from him any longer. Roman took a few seconds to take in what Geoff had just said. Remaining calm he leaned forward, intensively listening.

“What happened? How is she?” he asked staring at Geoff for answers, completely bewildered. he wasn't expectign this, he'd only seen her a few days ago.

“She was...shot. I tried to protect her, I promise but she just got entangled in the chaos, I couldn’t stop it! She’s unconscious at the minute but the doctors are hopeful” he said in panic, unsure of what Roman’s reaction would be to the news.

“Shot? Well who had the gun?” he asked inquisitively. Someone had hurt his little girl and he wasn’t going to let them get away with it.

“A guy called Josh, he was a friend of Annie’s and we all hung out together but last night, he just flipped. He was arrested and the police are dealing with him now” Geoff finished, looking at Roman, wondering what he’d say next. Roman couldn’t speak, all he could think of was his daughter lying in a hospital bed. He felt useless, she needed him last night and he couldn’t do anything because he was stuck in that place.

“I need you to tell me everything, Geoff” he told Geoff, still trying to take the information in.

“Okay, but please understand I tried my best to protect her, you know I wouldn’t let anything bad happen to her” he pleaded, unsure of whether Roman would blame him for the incident if he knew all of the details.

“Geoff, I know you wouldn’t let anything harm her. You’re a good bloke, you always have been and you’ve always been there for Nicole whenever she’s needed someone. I’m glad that you were there, mate because I sure as hell couldn’t be” he told Geoff in a calm, sincere voice followed by a slight smile. Geoff did the same back before taking a breath ready to tell Roman everything about the previous night.

Two weeks had gone past since that dreadful night. Geoff had spent most of his time at the hospital, only having breaks to return home and change into fresh clothes and shower. He’d delayed his return to university to the disapproval of his football coach. He wasn’t sure when he’d go back but he knew it probably wouldn’t be soon. Irene reluctantly supported this decision, she understood why he wanted to be there for Nicole, it was obvious there had always been something special between the two of them since the first day they met, but she still felt uneasy about him deferring his studies, knowing how important they were to him and his future. Elsewhere, Miles and Jai had also been taking turns in visiting her. Annie had been avoiding Jai the best she could, not taking his calls, pretending to be out when he called around. She’d tried to keep her distance from Ruby too, though she found that was a lot harder, Ruby being Ruby. There was still no change in Nicole’s condition, though the doctors were hopeful she’d pull through eventually.

Geoff’s grew wide as he yawned for the sixth time in a row; his eyes were dreary with dark circles surrounding them. As he lifted his head back and rested it against the hardened wall, he blinked rapidly, and almost squinting as the light cursed his eyes. The hospital was bare, hardly any beings around. A doctor walked down the corridor, smiling as they saw Geoff sat in the waiting area. He gave a blank look as he ran his fingers through his hair, resting his face in the palm of his hands. As he gently closed his eyes for a few seconds, he heard a voice from over the way.

“Yes, I’m here to see Nicole Franklin. I was told she’d be on this floor” the voice told the nurse behind the desk. Geoff lifted his head as he wondered who the person was. He’d never seen her before, and certainly didn’t recognise the voice. The nurse told her to have a seat and left, walking back down the corridor. The girl wandered slowly over to the seat opposite Geoff and sat down. When she noticed Geoff was looking at her, she gave a friendly smile then looked around the fixtures of the hospital.

“Um, are you here to see Nicole?” Geoff asked, still wondering who on Earth she was. In surprise, the girl was taken a back before answering his question.

“Yes, I am. I’m Jess...her friend...from Uni” she replied politely offering her hand out for Geoff to shake.

“Oh, right. Um I’m Geoff” he shook her hand gently before relaxing back into his chair.

“Geoff Campbell?” she asked curiously. Geoff responded with a nod. “I’ve heard a lot about you” she smiled. Geoff wasn’t sure if that was a good thing or not.

“I’ve been away for a couple of weeks and when I got back I had a message to say what had happened. How is she? He said she was still unconscious” she explained, a worried frown upon her face. The last time she saw her friend, she was full of life, suffering from excitement of returning home.

“There hasn’t been any change. I’m sick of hearing the doctor telling me to ‘just wait’. It’s the waiting that’s the worst. I just want her to get better” he confessed, though wondering to himself why he’d just told that to a complete stranger. Jess smiled sympathetically, understanding his anxiousness.

“Look, Nicole’s a fighter, it would take more than a bullet to get rid of her” she said encouragingly.

“Yeah, you’re right” he agreed looking up at Jess then looking back at his finger as he fidgeted. His lips kicked up into a smirk as he thought of all the time’s her feisty, fiery side drove him mad in the past. The arguments they had over nothing that usually ended up with them in a passionate clinch.

“Is it okay...if I go in and see her?”, Jess asked, raising herself up a little out of her seat.

“Oh, yeah of course, I’m sure she’ll be glad to hear your voice. I bet she’s sick of hearing me babble on, go ahead, it just that room there” Geoff pointed and smiled. Jess disappeared into the room, the door closing seconds after. Geoff lightly closed his eyes as he rested his head against the wall again.

Twenty minutes passed and Jess was still in with Nicole. Geoff was fast asleep, slumped in the chair. As his head fell forward, he suddenly woke up, at first, unfamiliar with the surroundings. As he yawned, he yawned he looked around him. There was still no one about. He reached for a magazine that was placed on a table next to his chair. As he flicked the pages, he was aware of the door to Nicole’s room opening suddenly. He turned his head to the entrance and saw a worried looking Jess approaching from the door.

“Geoff, get a nurse quick, it’s Nicole!” she said in a panic, fret lines painting her face. The magazine floated to the floor as it slipped through Geoff’s fingers.

Chapter 13

“Where am I?” she struggled to ask, pulling the oxygen mask down from her mouth. Her eyes were dazed as she tried to focus on something stationary in the room.

“Nicole, it’s me. Geoff” he looked down at her stroking her hair with his fingers, the sweetest of smiles on his face. Words couldn’t describe how he felt right now. She was back and she was okay. Nicole looked at him, not saying a word. She looked agitated and confused.

“What’s going on? Where am I? Geoff!” she yelled, clearly distressed by the reality.

“Shhhh, just calm down, it’s okay. You’re in hospital but it’s okay now, you’re awake. And I’m here and Jess is here and Miles and Jai will be back soon” he said softly looking at her eyes. The agitation simmered as she took in what Geoff was saying to her. Jess looked on from the door way, admiring the instant intimacy she was witnessing from the two of them. It was as if Geoff could soothe her, and in the couple of years of knowing Nicole, she didn’t think any man would be able to do that. Nicole began to relax as she felt Geoff’s hand stroking the side of her face, his lips softly touching her forehead. She closed her eyes, falling back into a light sleep.

Annie was at home, still trying to avoid Jai. As she placed her food down onto the kitchen table, there was a knock at the door. She opened the door to reveal an unexpected face.

“Jai? What are you doing here?” she quizzed, wishing she hadn’t opened the door.

“Nicole’s woken up, Miles’ just called me. I thought I should tell you” he said enthusiastically

"Yeah, I know Geoff rang me. He was ecstatic; I’ve never heard him sound so happy in ages. I’m so relieved” she said, a grin stretched across her face.

“Well, err there was another thing I wanted to speak to you about too...” he began. Annie looked away; sure he was going to say something she probably didn’t want to hear. “I’ve finished with Ruby, I told her about my feelings for you” he finished, hoping for a positive response but Annie couldn’t even look at him. She felt guilty, guilty that she’d betrayed her friend. “Look, Annie. I want to be with you, I need to be with you. I can’t stop thinking about you” he poured out, his heart on his sleeve. Annie slowly turned back around to face him. His eyes were waiting eagerly for a response.

“But Ruby...she’ll never forgive me, she’ll never forgive us...it’s all such a mess. And I thought Geoff and Nicole had a complicated relationship!” she sighed throwing her arms up in the air.”Jai we tried this before, and it didn’t work what makes you so sure we’ll work this time? Ruby’s one of my best friends, I can’t do this to her I’m sorry” she explained. “Please, just go” she told a saddened Jai. He understood where she was coming from but couldn’t help but think what could’ve been. He obeyed her order and walked out of the beach house, not saying a word.

It was three days now since Nicole had awoken. Geoff had given her space so that she didn’t feel too overcrowded by all of the visitors. As he walked into the hospital entrance, he noticed the gift shop on his left. Joyfully entering, looked about the gift shop. There were flowers upon flowers in every direction he looked. Blue ones, red ones, pink ones, yellow ones, orange ones and the list went on. Which ones should he get? He thought hard until interrupted by the grey haired shop assistant dressed in a pin stripe overall.

“Hello, may I help?” she asked politely, looking at an obviously clueless Geoff.

“Uh yeah thanks. Do you have any err, tulips...no no err oh what are they called...err um...lilies! That’s it lilies!" He said with a happy grin, so proud that he’d remembered her favourite. The assistant laughed to herself, shaking her head as she picked a bunch lying straight in front of Geoff, handing them to him.

“For someone special is it?” she asked intrigued.

“Yeah, you could say that” he smiled to himself smelling the flowers as he followed her to the counter.

“3.20 please. I’m sure she’ll love them”

“I hope so. Thanks” Geoff beamed whistling as he left the shop. He grasped the flowers in his hand as he headed for the elevator. As he approached the door to her room, he quickly ran his fingers through his hair and took a deep breath. As he burst in, he was confronted with a sight he wasn’t entirely comfortable with. Tom was sat on the side of the bed, intimately close, holding Nicole’s hands in his, tears streaming down his face. Nicole was upset too. She quickly attempted to dry her eyes as she saw Geoff standing in the door way.

“Geoff!” she called out, pulling her hands away from Tom’s. Tom turned to look at Geoff then gazed downwards.

“Um, sorry. I should have err. Doesn’t matter I’ll go” he said deflated. His hand flopped down as he let go of the flowers, the bunch falling loosely into the bin beside the door.

“No, Geoff, wait” Nicole called after him, her voice slightly broken.

“I’ll see you around” he said emotionlessly, avoiding any eye contact and swiftly turning around and leaving. Nicole looked on shattered. She really didn’t want him to go.

So it was pretty obvious to Geoff that she was back with Tom. After all she said how could she do this to him? How could she treat him this way? Geoff was the one who had been at the hospital day and night since the shooting and it was him that was there when she woke up, so why was she choosing him over Geoff? Maybe she regretted jumping in front of him to save him. He kicked the wooden fencing as he left the hospital grounds, his anger over spilling into a complete rage. He could feel the blood in his veins tighten as he clenched his fists. Any other girl and he wouldn’t have been bothered but Nicole, she was different, and there was too much history, too much feeling. He hated feeling like this, the pain; though it wasn’t physical it was just as bad. After walking for a bit, he strolled across the beach looking into the open air trying to relieve his anger as best he could. He took a few deep breaths then slumped to the sand. He ran his fingers through the grains as he closed his eyes. All he could think of was her. even when he tried not to, he still did.

“Hey you! How you feeling?” Jess asked cheerily dumping a load of magazines on the end of her bed. Nicole struggled to edge herself upright as she winced at uncomfortable pains from her wound.

“Like a total b*tch. Geoff saw me and Tom together and left” she said miserably. Jess rolled her eyes.

“Are you back together with him?” Jess asked curiously, hoping the answer would be no. She’d never had a real problem with Tom, but she wasn’t keen on the way he spoke to Nicole or treated her when they were together.

“No, no of course not, that ship sailed and it’s never coming back” Nicole said adamantly, finally finding comfort after adjusting a pillow.

“And Geoff?” Jess asked tactfully, sitting down in the chair next to the bed.

“What about Geoff?" Nicole replied, knowing really what Jess meant but reluctant to put her feelings out in the open.

“Well how do you feel about him?” Jess continued flicking through one of the magazines she’s just picked up.

“I dunno, I guess that’s what I need to think about. I err, I told him I loved him the night..it..happened” Nicole confessed after slight hesitation. This was Jess she was talking to, there was no point in lying about it.

“And?” Jess smiled even more intrigued than before.

“And then I got shot!” she laughed lightly then looking down at her hands, fidgeting with the bedding. Jess laughed too gently throwing the magazine at Nicole. “I’m not sure but, well I don’t know if I was just hallucinating or not...but I think he said he loved me too, just after...well you know...when I was lying there” she said coyly, glancing up at a slightly excited Jess who was obviously rooting for the couple.

“Oh wow this is awesome, it’s like Romeo and Juliet... gone... slightly... wrong ‘cos obviously you’re the only one who ended up with a hole in her stomach but wow! You have to tell him again; otherwise it’ll be even more tragic than it already is!” Jess squeezed out in one breath. Nicole giggled at her excitement before shaking her head.

“No, there’s no point he hates me. I could tell. He couldn’t even look at me before he left. I’ve stuffed up big time...again! Why can’t me and Geoff be on the same page for once instead of all of the drama!” Nicole sighed throwing her head back.

“Because life’s a ***** and then you die!” Jess blurted out, then suddenly realised what she’d said and considering recent events, tried to back track. “Oh err, sorry...you know what I mean..hey that’s life!” she pulled an awkward face before laughing a little. Nicole continued to shake her head at her best friend’s ridiculous choice of words.

“But seriously, Nic...I’m really glad you’re okay. For a minute there, I thought we’d all lost you for good this time.” Jess said sincerely reaching out her hand to Nicole as they both smiled. Nicole was glad too, though reality kind of sucked at the moment, especially regarding her love life.

“Oh this is ridiculous, I need to see him, I need to see him now” Nicole announced struggling to pull the layer after layer of bedding that was over her. Jess looked on in concern.

“Nic, I’m not sure you should be out of bed, you still need to rest”

“I know but this can’t wait, it’s driving me insane” she said reaching for her bag that Geoff had kindly packed for her some days ago.

“Well, why don’t you call him, he can come to you. I’m sure he wouldn’t mind” Jess said standing to her feet, hoping Nicole would listen. Nicole began rifling through the bag until Jess’ words began to make sense in her mind.

“Maybe. He might not even take my call though” she said sadly.

“Well I can call him for you, tell him you’d like to see him. Give me his number and I’ll do it now. Nic you have to stay in bed, you need rest” Jess told her, pleading with her to listen to the logic. Nicole fell back onto her bed and lifted her legs back up onto it.

“Okay” Nicole said, before picking up the paper and pen laid on the shelf next to her and scribbling down his home number. Jess gently picked up the piece of paper and walked towards the door. She stopped then turned as she opened the door.

“I won’t be long” she said then left.

“Geoff, are you sure you have to go back today? I mean can you not stay for a few more days?” Annie asked standing in the entrance to his bedroom.

“Yeah if I leave now I can get back for the new round of trials. I need something to focus on after everything that’s happened these last few weeks.” He smiled then pushed the rest of his clothes into his case.

“But what about Nicole?” She asked cautiously, knowing that something must have happened for him to suddenly up and leave.

“What about her? She’s okay now and I’m really glad but there’s no reason for me to hang about any longer. I need to go back to Uni to finish off the year then who knows where I’ll go” he said staring into his bag as he straightened out the top piece of clothing.

“Okay, so who’s taking you back?” Annie asked curiously, choosing to leave the subject.

“Irene said she would drop me at the train station” Geoff explained looking around his room to check he had everything.

“Oh right, well I’ll come too” Annie smiled walking away and up the stairs. As she got to the top she heard the phone ring. “I’ll get it” she exclaimed before running back down and grabbing the phone.

“Hello? Oh hey yeah, Geoff mentioned you, how are you...good good I’m good thanks. Well he’s a bit busy at the minute. Oh right, err I don’t know whether I should be saying this but he’s actually leaving. He’s going back to university today. I don’t know but he’s getting the 3pm train. I’ll try talking to him but I don’t think he’s keen on staying... something about football trials. He’s eager to get back. Tell Nic I hope she gets better soon. Bye...bye” Annie placed the phone back into its holder, wondering what must have happened between him and Nicole in the last few hours for him to just want to suddenly leave.

It was half past two; the ticking from the clock drove Nicole mad as she lay in bed. All she could think of was Geoff and the look on his face when he walked in to find Tom in her room. She felt awful, though technically she wasn’t guilty of anything. Feeling sorry for herself, she lay still in silence. As she looked down at her bag, she picked out her diary and turned to the back page. There was the photograph again. Happier times. She took out the letter again, pulled it out of the envelope and read it over and over again.

'I know that what we had was real and that no matter what I do in the future, no matter who I meet or where I go, I’ll never stop loving you, not for a second. You are my first love, my best friend'

Something in Nicole snapped and she rose from her bed and threw on the nearest clothes she could find. She had 30 minutes to get to the station before the train left. He’d walked out of her life once before and this time she wasn’t going to let him do it again. As she finished getting dressed she threw open the door and barged past an unsuspecting Jess carrying two drinks.

“Nicole, what are you doing?” Jess asked, dumping the drinks on a seat and rushing after Nicole.

“What I should have done a long time ago!” she said hurrying out of the hospital corridor and disappearing.

“Well, darl. Take good care of yourself you hear me. And don’t be a stranger for too long” Irene said as she threw her arms around her ‘son’. He broke away after a few seconds and turned to Annie.

“Yeah, visit again soon Geoff” Annie sobbed before hugging her brother.

“I will, and you too, take care of yourselves” he said slightly choked. He hated goodbyes even if they weren’t for very long. As he picked up his bag, he turned around and threw it over his shoulder.

“Well, I’ll see ya” he smiled before heading for the entrance to the train. As he got closer he heard a shout from behind him.

“Geoff! Please don’t leave” a voice hollered from a distance. Geoff stopped and turned, startled by the commotion. Nicole came shuffling down the platform towards him gripping her side. She was obviously in pain. Jess followed seconds behind.

“Nic, what on earth are you doing here? You’re meant to be in bed” he exclaimed, concerned that she looked in pain.

“I know but I couldn’t let you leave, not like this, not with how things are between us” she said slightly out of breath.

“Listen it’s fine. I get it. You don’t have to explain. I just hope you’ll be happy, I really do.” He said sincerely.

“But I’m not happy that’s the thing. The only time I’m ever been happy is when I’m with you. Please don’t go. There’s nothing between me and Tom anymore, that’s all you saw, us saying goodbye. I can't let you walk away, not again” she pleaded with him.

“I’m sorry I have to. I... I can’t stay” he said sadly picking his bag back up and heading onto the train. A big part of him really did want to stay more than anything but there was something inside that wouldn't let him. As he sat on the seat near to the window he looked out to a number of sad faces, including Nicole’s. He could see the tears in her eyes and he felt bad, he really did. He was the cause of those tears, but he couldn’t stay. He was too confused, too muddled to consider staying. As he moved his eyes away from the window, he nervously looked down then back out before placing his hand up to the glass, shaping his lips into half a smile as the train began to move very slowly. Nicole gazed at him, her lips moving to say one last ‘I love you’. And then he was gone. Nicole collapsed to the floor. The pains in her side and in her heart were even and it was excruciating. She sobbed as Jess held her, Irene and Annie looking down, not sure of what to do. They wished he’d stayed too, but who knows maybe he did make the right decision.

This is the last chapter guys!

Hope you all enjoy and thanks to everyone for the comments!!!

Chapter 14

A week later, Nicole was discharged from hospital. She returned back to her old room, where her memories haunted her, a constant reminder of Geoff. She had nightmares of that night, she could see the gun pointing at Geoff over and over in her head and it drove her crazy. She’d wake up in a cold sweat in the middle of the night, the gunshot resounding in her mind. After many sleepless nights, she knew what she had to do.

“Are you sure you feel up to going back? I could call the university and explain. They might give you a bit longer. You’ve been through a lot Nicole” Miles asked, concerned for her welfare. Nicole looked at him, smiling as she sighed.

“Miles, I know you’re worried about me but I’m fine. Jess can keep an eye on me if that’ll make you happy, and I’ll call you every few days and let you know how I am” she said reaching up to kiss him on the cheek before turning to Jess.

“Thank you for letting me stay, Miles, I promise I’ll take good care of her” Jess smiled at both of them.

“See, I’ve got my own personal bodyguard!” Nicole laughed.

“Okay, well please just no more running into guns” he joked as he threw his arms around both girls. “I’ll carry out your bags” he finished bending down to pick up the cases and taking them out to the car. Both Nicole and Jess followed, linking each other arm in arm.

A month had gone by since that day that Geoff left. Nicole had almost physically recovered from the shooting though she was still emotionally scarred from the trauma, and of what followed too. Returning to University had helped. She only thought of Geoff maybe every five seconds rather than every second. It was raining heavily outside as she lay around doing nothing. She was constantly bored and her tutor had told her to take the next week off and recuperate. To top it all off, Jess was running around after her like she was her mother. She had piles and piles of magazines that she’d read through twice and the TV was rubbish on a Saturday night. She picked up her iPod and plugged herself in. She put it on shuffle mode and hit play.

It must have been love but it’s over now, it must have been good but I lost it somehow...

“What the...” she shook her head, skipping to the next song.

It’s been seven hours and fifteen days, since you took your love away...

“Oh for God’s sake” she said pulling her earphones out and walking up to the stereo. “Let’s see what we have here Jessica” she said to herself checking there was a CD in the machine and switching it on. Jess was out shopping and had left a highly irritated and bored Nicole at home alone. Jordin Spark’s ‘Battlefield’ blared from the speakers as a happier Nicole wandered over to the kitchen.

“I never meant to start a war, you know I never want to hurt, don’t even know what we’re fighting for, why does love always feel like a battlefield, a battlefield, a battlefield, you better go and get your armour” she sang loudly as the kettle clicked to the boil. Singing along to a song let out all of her frustration, all of the negative emotions that were weighing her down. After an enjoyable three minutes of loud music, the song finished and the sound of the CD changing could be heard as she sat down on the sofa.

We belong together

And you that I’m right

Why do you play with my head,

Why do you play with my mind?

Said we’d be forever

Said it’d never die

How could you love me and leave me

And never say good-bye?

Girl I can’t sleep at night without holding you tight

Girl, each time I try I just break down and cry

Pain in my head oh I’d rather be dead

Spinning around and around

Nicole found herself saddened again. Geoff was still on her mind, he hadn’t really left it for over a month now, and this song made her feel worse about it. As she sat listening to the lyrics she heard a knock at the door.

“I’m coming, just a minute” she yelled walking over to turn the music down. As she shuffled over to the door she reached and opened it in one swift movement. Stood in the door way was a figure with a dark rain coat on, their back turned. When the door fully opened the person turned around and to Nicole’s surprise, it wasn’t someone she was particularly expecting.

“Hey” he said sheepishly, not sure of what her reaction would be. Nicole couldn’t believe it. She’d never stopped thinking about him and now he was here, right in front of her, on her door step.

“Hey, come in” she said automatically taking a step back so that he could move past her. He was soaked from head to toe.”You must be freezing, I’ll get you a towel” she said closing the door and hurrying into the bathroom to grab the nearest clean towel. As she walked back in, she had so many questions she wanted to ask but couldn’t bring herself to do it. “Here, so what are you doing here, Geoff” she asked as she handed him the towel.

“I needed to see you” he said plain and simply as he removed his coat.

Although we’ve come to the end of the road

Still I can’t let you go, It’s unnatural

You belong to me, I belong to you

“Boyz II men?” Geoff asked lightly. Nicole suddenly realised the song was still playing on the stereo and being slightly embarrassed, changed the subject.

“Why did you need to see me? I thought we said all we had to say on that platform weeks ago” she said coldly, walking over to the window and staring out into the darkened sky. Geoff expected her to be hostile but didn’t expect to feel as bad as he did.

“Nicole, I’m sorry I was confused and hurt” he pleaded moving towards her before stopping.

“Hurt? I told you I loved you and that I wanted you to stay with me. How is that hurting you?” she asked, raising her voice. Her tone showed her anger.

“Because in my head, I still had the image of you and Tom together, of what I saw and...” he tried to explain before Nicole’s rage took over.

“What you saw? All you saw was two friends saying goodbye to each other. He’s gone. He got a scholarship overseas and so he came to say goodbye to me, Geoff” she yelled, twisting her head to shout at him before returning to looking out of the window.

“I’m sorry...”

“Yeah, so you said” she said, her words frozen

“I really I am, you don’t know how much I wanted to stay that day. If anything it took all I had not to throw down my bag and run up to you and hold you. But I couldn’t. I knew I couldn’t because I didn’t trust myself Nicole.”

“What do you mean trust yourself? When I said I loved you, I meant it Geoff but you just walked away” she asked, softening the harshness of her voice.

“If I hadn’t, what we had would have been built up on jealously, jealously that I had over a stupid ex boyfriend and I didn’t want that to happen. I needed to get that out of my system before I could see you again. It was my problem not yours” he explained slowly sitting down on the sofa. Nicole turned around leaning against the window sill, her facial expression mellowing.

“But it was hurting both of us” she said sadly, looking down to the ground. Geoff ran his hands through his hair then smothered his face with them.

“Oh it’s all just a mess. Why can’t everything just be simple for once?” he sighed to himself.

“Because that’s not how it works Geoff, it’s not how we work. There always has to be some kind of drama with us otherwise its boring” she said matter of fact. Geoff released his face from his hands and gradually got to his feet. He was slightly unshaven and his eyes looked tired. Nicole tried not to look at him. She knew too well that if she did, her frustration towards him would simmer to nothing. As he moved closer, Nicole shuffled on her feet feeling slightly uneasy. He stopped in front of her so that he was about an inch from her body and he raised his index finger up to her chin. She tried her hardest to fight her attraction to him but her body had a mind of its own as she found her lips meeting his, so soft and slow. Her heart pounded as they kissed, giving into what she’d wanted for so long.

“Wait, wait stop. What are we doing? I’m meant to be angry at you. I can’t be kissing you” she said breaking away from his kiss.

“We’re doing what we’ve wanted to do since I arrived on your doorstep ten minutes ago. You're the only girl for me Nicole and i think we both know that now” he said softly. She looked at him coyly before stepping away from him slightly.

“But I’m still mad at you...” she protested.

“I know and I promise I’ll spend every day of the rest of my life making up to you”

“The rest of your life?” she asked jokingly.

“Yes. You and me always” he smiled sincerely. His words soared to her heart as her feelings for him flowed once again.

“I think I could live with that” she replied with a giggle, reaching for his hands.

“Seriously though, I know now what it is I definitely want. And that’s you. And if it means I have to live in Newcastle to do that, then so be it” he announced with a grin to a shocked Nicole.

“You’re going to live here?” she asked excitedly.

“If you’ll have me” he laughed throwing his head back.

“Of course but what about Uni?” she asked, wondering how he’d manage it.

“I asked for a transfer weeks ago and I had to finish off my trials there before coming here. I can stay and work out what I want to do from here, with you” he explained before lifting his hand up to her hair, pulling the stray pieces behind her ears. “I want this Nicole, I want us” he whispered before pushing his lips gently against hers, stroking her cheek with his thumb.

“I do too” she whispered back as she looked into his eyes. Her heart melted she thought about the happiness she felt at that moment. Everything was perfect.

“Now how about we get you out of these wet clothes” she said suggestively, pulling up the bottom of his T shirt.

“Are you sure? I mean with your wound and that, isn’t it still a bit sore?” he asked concerned. Sensible Geoff was still there, even in times such as this.

“Oh, I’m sure I’ll manage” she giggled with a twinkle in her eye, pulling him closer to her and pressing her fingers against his taut chest. She guided him to towards the bedroom. Clothes were draped all over the floor leading to her room as they stumbled through the door, their bodies together. Geoff kicked the door closed as Nicole giggled with delight.

A few hours later, they lay in bed, Nicole resting her head on his toned chest. He softly kissed the top of her head as they both smiled looking up at the ceiling.

“So have you told Annie and Irene about living here yet?” Nicole wondered out loud.

“Yeah, I called them a few days ago. They were stoked, told me I was a fool for leaving it as long as I did”

“Well you are!” she joked. Geoff playfully poked her in the ribs as she squealed gently.

“Hey, I know I’m an idiot, but I’m your idiot remember” he said looking down at her. Nicole smiled back as she lifted her head from his chest.

“Yes, yes you are” she kissed him on the cheek before lifting her hand up to his face and stroking his hair with her fingers. “Just don’t expect me to jump in front of another bullet for you, I don’t think my body can take it again. We have to make a pact, no more heroics, it just creates more drama!” she laughed before leaning forward and kissing him on the tip of his nose. He smiled then sighed.

“But you said that’s what makes it so exciting for us” he muttered before shuffling out from under her and slightly lying on top of her, kissing her on the mouth.

“Yeah it is, but I think I’d rather have you and keep you thanks” she lifted her head and whispered into his ear.

“Fair enough. But just so you know, I’d have taken that bullet for you, any day of the week. You just beat me to it that’s all!” he said softly with a grin before lightly kissing her neck then her lips.

“Well what’s more important is that we are here now, we’re alive and we’re together and I couldn’t love you more if I tried” she said directly looking into his eyes.

“Me too” he said in a soft voice then kissed her eyes, both cheeks and then her lips. The kiss grew more intense as they moved their bodies, lost in eachother.

Comments

Archived