Don't Let Anybody Steal Your Dreams

Guest Symphony

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CHAPTER 6

Well it just can't carry on like this! Colleen glared benevolently up at Hugo.

Being small in this life seemed like an injustice too big to comprehend let alone behold in the palm of her hand. But, little fazed her and on the rare occasion that she did get justifiably upset, everyone froze in fear of stepping out of line and coming underneath the lash of her tongue.

She and Irene are more alike than they think, Hugo thought nervously, eying Colleen out of the corner of his pupil.

Both had a heart of gold, though Irene's was buried beneath a harsh exterior that indicated stricter disciplines than she actually implied. But under it all, she was known for putting herself out for others repeatedly - and this was proved by all the waifs and strays she'd taken into her home, the last two being Hugo and Xavier, who were still staying there, two nights later.

You should be keeping an eye on her! Colleen's shrill voice interrupted his thoughts, and Hugo found himself gripping the counter behind him a little more tightly.

He'd only come to the diner kitchen in order to grab a coffee on his way out on a dive, but Colleen had collared him by the cash till and come bustling out to berate him for his careless treatment of her beloved Martha.

Yes Colleen, he began to form a response and was immediately silenced by a rapidly wagging finger.

It's not right, you walking out on her after a little spat, it's not, she was only just warming up to get into her stride. Martha's mourning, and she needs her friends around her more than ever. Hands moving to her hips, she regarded him through beady eyes. Why, you oughta be ashamed of yourself. Constable Holden would never have abandoned a friend in need!

Hugo froze at Colleen's tactless mention of Jack, but the small woman seemed not to notice. She had skin thicker than a rhino's hide, and tactlessness that could out water the entire ocean.

Yes, well Colleen, I really should be- he indicated the door with his coffee, and she grabbed onto this nugget with gleaming eyes that reminded him of a squirrel clutching its acorn tentatively and chattering angrily at anyone that should try to disturb him.

And I should think so! Too busy to care about the poor needy souls of the parish. Well off with you Mr. Busypot, and I'll go and see her myself! Colleen was triumphant with this idea.

Longing to throw his hands up in the air but knowing it would only bring another onslaught down on him, Hugo settled for simply shrugging his shoulders like he didn't care, and left then, leaving Colleen glaring after him in his stead.

She had no idea of the turmoil churning within him, or the effort it took to just shrug rather than backlashing at her all the worries and taut tensions that were being bottled up inside him.

It's better this way, Hugo tried to promise himself once more, after the thousand times he had had that line of thought before but it was pointless. Living

without Martha was far harder than he had thought it would be. Once known for being a bit of a ladies man before they moved to the bay, he'd been the hardcore one of the group; always out for an easy lay and with no interest in settling down.

Big girls, short girls, heavy or skinny; nothing had mattered to Hugo, not back then, although he did have a serious disliking for redheads, but aside from this matter, it had been a life of constant work, spend, and playtime then at the end of the night. But for the first time he was presented with a girl he couldn't have and this only served to further fuel his longing.

Martha was, it seemed, the epitome of all that he wanted - and could never have. Girls who were easy conquests, he lost interest in, and at the time of moving to the bay, he'd thought that this would be just fine - after all, she was married to his cousin and therefore very much off limits.

But as life would go, there it was, the complexicity of his years landing himself in this fine pickle of deep lust and confusion. Her smile, her eyes, even though broken way in which she was draped on the couch day in day out all served to tug at his heart strings and burn a deep yearning within him to envelope her within his muscular arms and chase away all the memory ghosts of happy days with Jack.

Sighing, he leapt onto his boat at the end of the pier, and began preparations to move out. Perhaps this really was a good choice; spending time away from her would surely ease his want, and if it didn't - Hugo grinned. Then an overnight trip to the city should be just the trick.

Back on firm and steady land, Colleen bustled into the front porch of the Holden house hold, a warm grin on her rounded face.

Martha would be thrilled to pieces with the soup, she just knew, and then they could sit down and have a good heart to heart over a cup of tea.

After all, it wasn't every day that a fine man like Constable Holden passed away, she thought a little sadly to herself, but soon cheered up. But Martha

has friends here, and we're all here to help her get over it.

She was sure that just by talking to Martha and sharing her own experiences of heart break and losing those you love would be just the ticket to putting a smile on Martha's face.

Yoo hoo, Martha luv, it's just your aunty Colleen stopping by, Colleen called out in a bright and cheery voice, sliding her ample bluk through the open door.

Bustling into the room, as was prone in Summer Bay, nobody ever paused to have the door answered, she stopped dead, a worried look crossing her chubby face at the sight of Martha lying prone on the couch.

Martha! Wakey wakey, Colleen soon came back to life, admonishing Martha playfully as she set the soup down on the kitchen table and then scampered heavily back over to the couch.

The grin, set in place on her face faded away as she noticed the lifelessness in her niece's eyes.

Martha! the squawk came out of quivering lips, sounding terrified, and her hands flew up to her face.

Eyes dropping, they fell on the round medicinal pill-box on the table near her dangling hand, and she squawked again.

Swooping down on the box with trembling fingers, Colleen twisted and pulled at the child safety lid, eventually yanking it off, and peering with frightened eyes, into it.

Martha! another plea was pulled from her throat when she saw that it was empty, but turned it upside down anyway to verify it.

Oh Martha! Falling to her knees, Colleen began to shake the limp body emphatically as fat tears plopped from her eyes onto the carpet.

... to be continued

TY Lino

:) This is turning out to be longer story than I thought :o

Chapter 7

Maaartha, Maaartha, Colleen's braying panicked voice echoed through the room as she shook at the limp girl insistently, trying desperately to wake her from her drug-induced stupor.

Just as she was beginning to give up and fumble for the mobile phone that she always carried but had never learnt how to use, a low moan bubbled up from Martha's twitching mouth. Colleen jumped back in fright, tripping ungracefully over the low coffee table which always sat in the centre of the room.

Screeching with both pain and fear, Colleen grabbed out at thin air frantically as she tumbled back, crashing through the glass table and landing in a heap on the ground amidst shattered shards and fallen papers from the table.

Aunty Colleen! Martha sat upright abruptly, hands flying to her mouth in horror as she watched the scene unfold rapidly before her eyes. Colleen only screamed in response; a long drawn out wail, and Martha jumped from the couch, running for the phone to call the emergency services.

Colleen Stewart, fell through a low glass table, has splintered glass all up right arm, and right shoulder. The medic fired out information at Rachel as Colleen's trolley was wheeled rapidly into the hospital from the ambulance bay. Martha followed close behind, her face white with fear and taut with pain at re-entering the hospital so soon after Jack's death.

Even though she knew she should be concentrating on her aunt, her mind kept straying in little ways like, that's the corridor we sat in, waiting for news. There's the window that I watched him through, anxiously, when they wouldn't let me in, and she simply couldn't stop the unwelcome thoughts.

Martha, luv, what happened! Irene rushed into the hospital from the front, spotting Martha down the corridor on her right. Her face was a rigid strictness of anxiousness and worry, which only tightened as she gathered the stiff Martha into her arms.

Confused when she didn't yield to the embrace, Irene pulled back, looking puzzled as she swept hair to either side of Martha's face and tucked it securely behind her ears.

Luv? she repeated, a touch non-plussed.

It's my fault, Martha replied in a monotonous tone.

What? Irene sounded shocked.

It's my fault that Aunty Colleen's here, she wept then, the tears falling fast and furious from her eyes.

Oh dahl, no, shushaby, no, of course it's not, Irene went to gather Martha up in a warm embrace again, but Martha threw her head back all of a sudden, eyes sparking fire as she replied passionately, STOP! Just STOP!

The sudden cries cut through the bustling atmosphere of the hospital around them, and even the nurses stopped their work lest it was they that was being shouted at.

Martha! Irene exclaimed, staring shell-shocked at the usually quiet young woman.

I'm sick of you ALL treating me like a baby! she yelled out angrily, past the point of caring about who heard. Always treating me with kid gloves; I'm not a child Irene!

A stunned silence followed this admission as Irene gaped at her, mouth searching soundlessly for something to say.

Martha noticed with a start that everyone in the near vicinity was watching them, and, as Rachel stepped forward to put a calming hand on her arm, she broke away, and ran, back the way she had come and down across the hospital grounds.

When she was younger, or indeed,just going back six months, she had used to run for the enjoyment of it, and could cover a fair distance in a short time. It was this dedication, as well as the upset and tears pooling at the pit of her stomach that enabled her to take herself back to the bay where she flung herself at the fence running along the beach and bent over it, weeping horribly to herself.

The guilt at having caused Colleen's accident was tearing at her heart, and this was the spectacle that Alf saw as he locked up the bait shop, stopping in his tracks at the pitiful sight.

... to be continued.

Yay two updates! ^_^ And I don't mind a longer fic btw! :P

I'm glad Martha is okay but poor Colleen! But her injuries don't seem too serious so that's good.

Poor Irene! Martha yelled at her again. :(

Colleen made me laugh when she was talking to Hugo. I don't really know why though as it wasn't a funny topic. :unsure:

And Alf is in the next chapter! :) Well I think he is.

More please.

• 4 weeks later...

sorry if this reads stilted. i struggled to write it. next chapter will wrap things up.

Chapter 8

A light wind ruffled around Alf's head as he stood and watched one of the few residents of

the Bay who had managed to slip entirely under his skin sob her heart out. Overhead, gray

clouds were beginning to gather as winter prepared itself to slip into their lives, but

neither noticed; each too caught up in their own turmoil.

At last, while Alf was still standing on the doorstep of his own shop, one hand resting

heavily upon the wooden railing, Martha turned to go, and caught sight of Alf watching her.

An expression that reminded him of rabbits caught in bright headlights on a dark night shot

onto her place faster than a bullet from a gun, and even from his viewpoint, he could see

her automatically tensing. But it was the red, puffy eyes that tore at his heart most of

all. To see someone you love so broken, so haunted is one of the toughest tasks that

life ever throws at you - and knowing you can do little to ease their pain makes it hurt all

the more.

Dredging up a weak smile, Martha acknowledged her Granddad with a raise of her hand, but

made no move towards him. Instead, she turned towards home, walking at a snail's pace with

her head hanging. Alf took off his hat, and turned it around a couple of times in his hands,

pondering the state of affairs and what he should do. At last, going against his gut instinct,

he stepped off the porch just as the first few fat drops of rain began to fall.

With one shove, his hat was back on his head, protecting the bald skin from getting wet and

he was after Martha with lumbering strides. Martha, he called after her, but she either

didn't hear him, or plain out ignored him. Suspecting the latter, Alf quickened his steps

and, unused to moving quickly, arrived next to her a short time later, breathing heavily.

Flamin' stakes wumman, did yeh not hear me calling to yeh! It wasn't a question and

they both knew it. Martha failed to acknowledge him this time, but kept her head down. Alf,

looking at her questioningly as he struggled to control his breathing, thought he saw tears

falling still from her eyes, but wasn't able to fully tell. It could have just been the rain

dripping down her face.

Bleedin' ghost Martha, would yeh stop this shamin' rat race yeh're in and talk to me!

he exclaimed at last, grabbing her by the arm and pulling her to a halt, unable to keep

speed with her anymore.

She tugged her arm away rudely. It's wet Granddad, came the answer as Martha avoided

his eyes by keeping her own downcast.

Curse the flamin' rain! he shot back, disbelief filling his own eyes. Don't tell

me yeh're afraid to get wet these days!

Hands went to her long hair, tugging at it as though it would take her to another land; a

fairytale story where there was no rain, and certainly no such thing as death; at least not

until an old and acceptable age.

I, she hesitated, fingers twirling in the long wavy hair. Ihavetogo! the words

blurted out of her mouth all of a sudden, and before Alf could speak again, she'd turned and

bolted at a pace that was far too fast for him to keep him up.

All he could do was stand and watch her disappear into the falling rainfall, his mouth almost

touching the ground.

Evening Alf, Hugo slipped into the bait shop, dripping to the floor, and soaked to the

bones but still greeted him genially.

Hugo. He nodded shortly at the other man. What do you want?

Hugo started in surprise, his brows almost raising into his hairline.

Is something wrong Alf? he inquired tentatively, unable to mask how startled he was

at Alf's obvious rudeness.

Eh? the older man looked up from the bait he'd been dividing unevenly into compartments

and frowned.

You seem to be ... distracted, Hugo picked his words carefully.

Ah. That. Alf nodded, then held up a finger questioningly. You had a fight with

Martha. It was a statement, not a question, and Hugo's eyes held understanding all of a

sudden.

You've been talking to Colleen, he agreed in response.

Colleen? Alf pursed his mouth. Not since she went to the hospital.

Hospital! Hugo held up a hand. Whoa, whoa, back up Alf. What are you talking about?

Colleen went into hospital today after trippin' over a flamin' glass table out in Martha's.

Ripped up her hand she did. Don't know how she's gurna work in that flamin' kitchen after

this. Be bustlin' around here tryin' to tidy up and make a mess of it all!

His cheerful demeanour appeared to be on the missing list as Hugo struggled to keep up with

the news flying from his mouth.

Is Martha okay? came the first anxious question to his lips and Alf glared at him,

causing Hugo to wilt slightly from the ferociousness.

Martha! he exploded, pent up anger burning out in waves of energy. Apart from

running from the rain, an' bein' a shadow of a ghost e'er since Jack died, Martha's doing

just fine. Alf placed large hands on the counter and leaned over it intimidatingly.

I, well, yes - Hugo didn't know what to say. It seemed they were all out for his blood

lately, the whole bloody family.

Tension roamed the room with a rangy stride, like a caged tiger as Alf narrowed his eyes at

Hugo who looked anywhere but at the man himself. Eventually, after what seemed like an

eternal silence, Hugo put a hand on the door, swinging it open once more. Staring in dismay

at the dismal downpour outside, he put on a fake cheerful voice.

Well, I'd best be on my way again, nice er - seeing you Alf.

Making to step outside, Alf stopped him with a snort. Young pup.

Hugo glanced back over his shoulder, but this time it was Alf who stubbornly refused to

look at him and so, with a shrug, stepped outside, making a dash for his car through the rain.

Alf knocked heavily on the door. There was little about the large man that was light or

graceful and certainly his manner of calling on someone resembled his weight.

Finding no answer, he took matters into his own hands as most members of the bay did when

they were being shut out, and turned the handle manfully - opening it with ease. The door

squeaked as it swung open and Alf stepped into the house, feeling a chill go down his spine

though he didn't know why.

Like a morgue in here, he grumbled to himself, pulling up short when he realised what

he'd thought. At least he hadn't said it out loud.

Martha, you here, luv? he called out then, moving forcefully into the room, but a

quick scan revealed it to be empty to him. Sighing disgruntedly, Alf was going to sit down on

the couch, but a crunching noise beneath his foot revealed tiny shards of shattered glass -

and to his horror, the remains of Colleen's accident with the cofee table hadn't been swept

up but sparkled at him teasingly from the woolly carpet.

Flamin' gurrah! he exclaimed in horror, then shook his head in deep resignation. Do

they think I'm a flamin' slave! But despite his mutterings, he took up a sweeping brush and

pan, and set to work at cleaning up.

Hey. Hugo walked up the sand dune and sat next to her, in fairly close proximity but

they weren't quite touching.

Hey. Her voice was hollow and low, caught in her throat as she stared determinedly out

to sea, not looking at him.

Hugo lapsed into silence too, following her gaze out to the horizon where a low mist was

rolling in. It had finally stopped raining, though he could feel wetness seeping through

his jeans beneath him from the grass.

So. He said finally, but then said no more, until Martha looked at him enquiringly.

It had been a shot at reverse psychology, and Hugo felt like pumping a fist into the air in

victory that it had worked, but restrained himsef lest she thought he was jeering at

her.

I owe you an apology, he said finally, speaking the words slowly.

Martha waited, no repose in her eyes.

I shouldn't have said what I said, he continued heavily, raising his gaze to meet hers.

Your relationship with Jack is not of my business, and - I don't have the right to tell

you when you're ready to move on. Sorry.

Swallowing, Hugo managed to tear his eyes away from her though with difficulty.

Another silence descended between them, icy cold, until, able to stand it no longer, he

turned back to her and cried out, "for pity's sake Martha, say something!

to be continued...

Fortunately, I checked the second page or I would have missed your update.

Poor Martha! :( I know she's hurting but she's going to have to let somebody in sooner or later. I wonder who it'll be though as she has ignored everyone who has already tried to talk to her. :unsure:

More please.

I've just read all 8 chapters and I don't think I've seen a fic on here written so well !!

You're style of writing is so perfect, the way you desribe each characters emotions and actions is amazing. The way you describe Martha's feelings makes it feel so real.She just really needs Jack to come back and take care of her, when she was at home on her own it reminded me a lot of when she was looking at her & Jacks wedding picture and said that she just wants Jack to come back and take care of her again :(

I could see an attempt at suicide coming after seeing the depths of depression shes in, but wasn't expecting Colleen to injure herself fo badly.

"In her mind, she was with Jack, frolicking playfully in the waters of summer bay, splashing each other with a careless sense of freedom"

I love this bit :( its so sad , it brought a tear to my eye :(

I really hope Martha lets someone in. I was thinking that Tony could maybe have a go , he is the only one who could possibly know how shes feeling , if not feeling worse than her.

I am not really liking Hugo in this fic (don't like him in the show anymore so its great continuity :P ).

Especially how he went off at one and told Irene to leave.

Anyway I am really looking forward to the next chapter :)

Archived