Don't Let Anybody Steal Your Dreams

Guest Symphony

Thanks for reading & commenting Lino

:)

Thought I'd post the next chapter, seeing as I just wrote it!

CHAPTER 3

I don't need you to fight my battles for me.

Hugo, having only just sat down, leapt to his feet and spun to face her.

Then what do you need Martha? he roared in response, his temper finally tipping over boiling edge, having been risen by Irene's lethal comments.

You say you don't want anyone near you, yet when I offer us to move out you say you like the company. You say you don't need me to fight your battles, but you don't bother fighting them yourself either.You leave this place get like a tip, he threw out his hands to encompass the living area, which looked far cleaner than it had an hour earlier thanks to Irene's attempts.

But you cry if myself and Xav try to clean up. And, you sit around all day doing nothing whilst Alf struggles with his rota down at the club, and waits for you to be 'happy enough', he made quotations with his fingers, in yourself to come back to work.

So what's it to be Martha? What exactly do you want? Please God you'll tell me because I'm telling you now, I really don't know!

He was breathing heavily by this stage. Martha's breathing too, had become hitched and jerky but this time there were no tears.

Then why don't you just GO Hugo, she screamed at him, startling Ziggy, who, aware now of the tension in the room, got to his paws and slunk behind the armchair uncomfortably.

Just leave and don't bother coming back this time, she sneered at him, clenching and unclenching her hands into fists.

What? His jaw dropped, and a shocked expression crossed his face.

You heard me Hugo. I'm tired of all of you ranting and raving at me, preaching with your good intentions but underneath it all you're all just trying to

forget about Jack aren't you! He's gone, Martha raged at him non-stop, so you all want to move on with your lives and forget he ever existed.

Well good luck with that, but you see, I don't quite agree! He was my husband and it'll take more than a few months for me to ever forget him!

Martha, you idiot!

With two quick strides, Hugo was across the room and grabbed her by the shoulders, shaking her hard.

We're not trying to forget Jack! But you weren't the only one who loved him! He was my cousin, and Tony's son! You think you have a sole loss because he died? It's not just you that was affected, but you think you can just moon around all day and everyone will ignore you. Well maybe we should!

Maybe we should, he repeated in a calmer voice, taking a step back and looking at her levelly.

A pause passed between them.

And then, fine, he ran a hand through his hair.

We'll leave, and allow you to your own devices.

His eyes narrowed, giving his face a thin, meaner look, that Martha had never seen before, having never really seen Hugo in temper fully.

But this time, we won't come back.

Ducking to pick up the heavy black box that he'd lugged in earlier, he caught her eye and added, I'll come back later, when you're no doubt locked in your room, full of self-pity, to get some overnight stuff, and pick up Xavier's bits and pieces.

You'll have your keys back by the end of the week.

With that, he turned and headed for the door, ignoring Martha' plaintive calls of Hugo, wait,.

She's gone too far this time, he fumed, throwing the box into the backseat of his car.

Well she can just try living alone now, 'cause I've had enough!

Clambering into the drivers seat, he started up the engine.

As he drove away, he didn't look back, and so, didn't see Martha's forlorn face framed in the window, staring after him, one hand up to the pane as she called to him to come back.

Slumping down against the sill, she gazed around her in despair, and felt again, the overwhelming sense of grief and loneliness sweeping over her.

But this time, she really was alone, and didn't have anyone in the house to fall back on.

Slithering to the ground, Martha hugged her knees to her again, crying softly but this time no in self-pity, but for all she had just lost.

... to be continued.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those two chpaters were so well written. You write emotions so well. :D

Poor Martha! :( I hope she'll get through it. She'll always miss Jack but she'll have to move on someday.

It would be nice to see Alf or Colleen give a go at trying to make her see sense. Maybe they'll have more luck. :)

More please. :D

CHAPTER 4

So what are we supposed to do now! Xavier exclaimed, looking at Hugo with horror.

His older brother had just informed him that their living situation had changed for now, and Xavier wasn't impressed with this.

But all my schoolbooks are there, and my clothes and - everything!

Calm down Zav, Hugo joined them at the table in the diner, squashing his large frame onto the small seat uneasily.

It's just for a short time, until Martha sorts herself out.

And what in the meantime Hugo? I just flunk out of school?

Don't be silly, Hugo admonished, playing idly with an empty sachet of sugar.

It's just for the time being, until...

Until? Xavier prompted him when Hugo's voice trailed off.

I don't actually know, he shrugged.

So what, you're homeless now? Ruby spoke up for the first time in the conversation.

Not quite, Hugo allowed her a brief smile.

We just need to find somewhere to sleep...

A silence passed between them, during which Xavier glanced at Ruby.

Don't even think of it, Hugo intoned immediately, seeing the thoughts that were running through his little brother's head.

Well, you got us into this mess, why should I have to suffer as well!

Hugo sighed, running a hand through his messy hair.

Look, Xav, he tried a placating tone.

It's just for a little while, until Martha comes to her senses.

I wasn't aware she'd lost 'em! a nasal voice rang out above his ear, as Irene clattered a cup of hot chocolate onto the table.

Your order, she pushed it across the table to Xavier, who took it gratefully, wrapping his hands around the heat.

Irene, Hugo nodded at her genially.

She only huffed in response, and turned on her heel, heading back to the kitchen.

Whoa, what's going on there, Ruby sounded shocked.

Yeah, way to go bro. What is it, get up everyone's backside day?

Xavier raised his eyes brows at Hugo questioningly, who sighed heavily.

Look, I don't want to talk about it okay. I'm off.

Pushing his chair back with a squeal, he stood up, making to leave when Xavier stopped him with a raised hand.

Whoa, whoa, Hugs, where will I meet you?

What do you mean? Hugo looked immediately suspicious, and Xavier was forced to reply with exaggerated patience.

Tonight, he answered slowly, dragging out the word.

To sleep? Where are we staying? How do I find you?

Oh! the light dawned on Hugo.

Yeah, I dunno, look, call me or something, okay? I'll talk to you later.

And he was gone, leaving Xavier and Ruby to look at one another in dismay.

What are you gonna do, do you think? she asked, and he shrugged helplessly.

I dunno Rubes, I mean, I don't suppose we could stay with you...

She shook her head, firmly.

It's not even my house to invite you, Ruby pointed out.

And the house is already pretty full, with me, Charlie and Leah and VJ living there.

But Joey moved in for a while.

Ruby fixed him with a stare.

Yes, Xavier, in Charlie's bedroom, she enunciated each word clearly.

I don't see you and Hugo crashing out in there too.

Well, if that was the only option, Xavier shrugged, and Ruby squealed, hitting him across the shoulder.

Hey, less of the violence, Belle admonished them with a laugh as she slid Ruby's empty plate off of the table.

Oh he asked for it, don't worry, Ruby smouldered at her boyfriend who couldn't help laughing at the look on her face.

Don't worry Rubes, you know I'd choose you over Charlie any day, he teased, and Belle's eyebrows rose into her forehead.

She'd come over to clean their table, and found a topic of conversation she couldn't quite have ever imagined.

Do I want to know what you guys are talking about?

Hugo and Xavier have to find somewhere to stay for a while, Ruby supplied the information willingly.

Why, what happened? Is Martha okay? Belle questioned immediately.

Xavier shrugged.

Don't ask me. Something happened between her and Hugo today, and now we have to move out. That's all I know.

So where are you going to go?

I dunno. I guess maybe ring the caravan park, and see if they have anything.

I'll go ask Kirsty, she's in the kitchen.

Xavier looked relieved.

Thanks Belle, that'd be great. At the rate Hugo's going, I don't think he'd get anything sorted.

No problem, she smiled, whisking away their plates.

Hallo? Hugo answered his phone within it ringing twice.

Hey, Hugs, it's me, Xavier spoke into his cell rapidly.

Oh, right, Xavier, what is it?

I've found us somewhere to stay until you and Martha sort out your problems.

Xavier sounded exceedingly pleased with himself.

Oh. Righto. Good. Where?

Irene said we can take the empty room at her place.

Irene! Hugo couldn't help how loudly he exclaimed, and then heard a puff of air at the other end of the phone, signalling Xavier's surprise.

Xavier, listen to me, this is important, exactly what did you tell Irene?

Whaaaaat! Xavier sounded high-pitched and irritated.

I told her you'd had a falling out with Martha, and we needed somewhere to stay until one or both of you came to your senses.

Oh man, it was Hugo's turn to sigh.

What have I done now, Xavier's voice came down the phone, aggrivated that his good work wasn't being received in the manner that he had thought it would be.

Nothing. Just I, er - nothing. Look that's fine, good job Xavier. I'll see you there later so.

Right. Later.

Xavier contemplated mentioning that he was going to drop over to Martha' to collect his stuff for the next few days, but decided against it.

With Hugo in such a weird mood at the moment, who knew how he'd take that.

Seeya, he hung up, and slipped his phone back in his pocket.

Thanks Irene, that's great.

All sorted luv? she paused at the cash till momentarily, and he nodded gratefully.

Yeah, he said he'd see us there later.

Did he now. She pursed her lips thoughtfully.

Er, is everything okay with you and Hugo?

Xavier sensed the tension but didn't know what it could possibly be about. From his eyes, Hugo and Irene had no reason nor need to be clashing.

Setting about ringing up the order, Irene shook her head briskly.

No, luv, everything's fine, she answered grandly, and Xavier took his leave at that point, wanting to get over and grab his stuff before it got too late.

Then I'll still have time to drop into Rubes, he made plans to himself, as Irene watched him leave, clucking her tongue sympathetically.

They're a strange bunch and no doubt about it, she said to herself, heading back into the kitchen to collect the next bunch of orders.

Reaching 'home', Xavier opened the door quietly and slipped in.

Not seeing Martha, still sitting miserably by the window sill, he headed straight for his bedroom.

There,he proceeded to pack a sports bag with his books for school for the next few days, and the clothes he'd need before hefting it onto his back and going back out in to the living area.

Stopping off in the kitchen to grab an apple from the fruit bowl, Xavier strode towards the front door again, and it was only as he rounded the couch that he saw her, crumpled by the window.

Martha! his voice rang with shock, and Xavier dropped his bag to the ground, rushing over to her.

What happened, are you okay?

Instinct told him to sit down and pull her into his arms, but something stopped him.

Some little inner voice told him to stand back this time, and not give in to her miserable mood.

Martha! he repeated her name when she didn't respond.

Slowly, ever so slowly, she looked up at him, her eyes dark and soulless, but managed a weak smile.

Xavier, I didn't hear you come in.

Her voice was quiet, and drawn out, each word sounding as uninterested as the last.

He narrowed his eyes.

What's wrong, what happened?

And then a light bulb flashed in his mind.

Is this because of the fight you had with Hugo? he spoke the words, barely believing them.

Surely Hugo wouldn't go and leave her alone in this state.

At his brother's name, tears rose immediately to Martha's eyes and though she made no sound, she began sobbing once more, letting them roll down her cheeks silently.

Oh Martha, he sighed.

With his hands hanging down by his side, Xavier felt helpless as she cried continuously, looking at the ground.

After a fwe minutes and no improvement, he sighed and came around the couch, flopping down onto it.

He'd felt like he was living on eggshells for the past number of weeks, tiptoeing around Martha's broken heart.

Even getting out of the house didn't help, because then the whole town was in mourning, though not as much as Martha.

And he felt rotten sometimes, because Jack had been his cousin, so he knew he should be grieving as well.

But, it had been years since he even saw Jack. It was Hugo that Jack knew, and Hugo that he had hung out with occasionally when their paths crossed.

Xavier, on the other hand, only had distant memories of Jack, of him looking official in his uniform, and hearing Gina talk to her friends about the hames he was making of his life, with so many marraiges and divorces.

How can I miss someone I never really knew? he wondered not for the first time, and, overtaken by the circumstances, dropped his head into his hands, resting his elbows on his knees.

... to be continued.

I like your suggestion Barbara; and I've never really tried to write for either of those two before, so I might include them in the next chapter! :)

I'm glad you like it. It was just a thought. :)

Poor Martha! She's really depressed, isn't she? :(

Xavier shouldn't feel too bad about not missing Jack. If they've never really spent time together, it's understandable. Besides, it's not like he doesn't feel anything about his cousin's death. He's sad about it, especially when he sees Martha's sadness. It's good that he found Hugo and him a place to stay.

Hugo and Irene being under the same roof should be interesting.

More please.

Just caught up on the last 3 chapters and they were brilliant. You can almost just feel poor Martha's pain.

A chapter with Alf and Colleen trying to get her sorted out would be great. Or bring back Morag, she could help her out too.

Can't wait for chapter 5 now :wink:

TY Lino, Barbara & Irish_Angel for reading and commenting. Barbara, I'm working on Chapter 6 now, and have Colleen in it - thanks for the idea again, it's good to broaden who I write for! :)

CHAPTER 5

The couch sagged beside him as Martha sat down, putting her arm loosely around his shoulders.

Oh Xavier, she spoke softly, drawing him towards her with the intention to offer him comfort as so many had offered it to her.

He resisted, much to her surprise, and a furrow drew in her brow.

It never even occurred to her that he wouldn't allow himself to be embraced.

Xavier? What is it? she continued tugging on his shoulder but he sat firm.

Turning a haunted face towards her, he exhaled heavily through a shuddering breath.

Martha, I'm sorry, I can't do this, Xavier answered hoarsely, drawing his shoulders towards himself in an attempt to pull away from her.

Her brow crinkled, surprised by him again.

I don't understand. Xavier. What do you mean? she asked plaintively, and her oh-so-sad voice grated horribly on his ears.

He looked at her; forlorn, and confused beside him.

This! he threw his arms up in the air with a sudden movement that startled her, indicating her and their surroundings.

This? What? I don't understand...? she attempted to ask, but he interrupted her again.

Nothing. It doesn't matter, forget it, he got up and walked over to the window where previously she had been crying her heart out.

Staring out resolutely, he heard the sofa creak behind him but didn't turn.

Xavier, Martha took a huge breath behind him, sitting up straighter as one hand rested on the arm of the couch, watching him in confusion.

I can't try to help you if you won't tell me what's wrong, she spoke gently.

You mean like you won't let anyone help you, he answered too fast and the taste of rude back-answering had entered his tone.

Hit by the force of his reply, Martha sucked in a breath of air.

I don't know what you mean- she started to reply and he whirled on his heels, face twisted with meanness.

How can you try to help me when you can't even help yourself Martha! he breathed hard, struggling to hold his emotions inside of him.

For weeks we've been tip-toeing around your feelings, trying not to set off the bomb that would make you explode, but I can't do it any more.

He stared hard down on the carpet at the tip of his cracked sneakers.

Silence fell, while he tried to find the words to use, and then, cautiously, and gradually, he looked up at Martha, half-afraid of what he would find on her face.

She was staring at him, but not with anger as he'd expected. Instead, there was a strange look on her face and he couldn't quite put a name to it.

Holding his breath, Xavier continued to stare at her silently, waiting for her to make the first move. He just knew he'd landed himself in a heap of trouble. Hugo would punish him badly for speaking to Martha like he just had - even though Hugo and Martha were having a tiff at the moment.

Waiting, there seemed to be no reaction forthcoming from Martha. She wasn't even looking at him but instead had her eyes trained on something beside him, or even beyond him.

I should go, he said awkwardly in the end, training his eyes on his bag so that he didn't have to look at her.

It's getting late - Hugo will probably be looking for me.

Walking tentatively, he made for his bag, going around the coffee table in order to retrieve it so that he didn't have to walk too close to Martha.

Visions of her exploding; leaping at him karate-style and strangling him around the neck with long splayed fingers were splashing unconventionally through his mind.

Throwing his sports bag around his neck, he paused by the arm of the couch on the opposite end to where Martha was sitting, frozen in time.

Sorry, he said, unsure of what else to say.

He stopped once more at the door, hand on the frame, to look at her, but she hadn't moved at inch, giving him no hint as to the emotional turmoil welling up inside her.

He knew it was cruel of him to leave her there, and wrong, but he was only a boy - and there was something selfish inside of him urging him to go. He knew too that he'd put his foot in it - and surely it was better to leave now rather than make it worse.

At least, that's what he told himself, and so, go he did, without looking back, and the door swung closed with a quiet click in his stead.

And only when he was gone, did Martha break down in tears once more.

He has no idea, was her last coherent thought before the massive vortex of grief took over her every waking thought once more and she sank back down into the darkness without a struggle, giving into the weight of her misery.

... to be continued.

Barbara, I'm working on Chapter 6 now, and have Colleen in it - thanks for the idea again, it's good to broaden who I write for! :)

You're welcome! :) I can't wait to read it. Hopefully Colleen will be able to help her.

Maybe Martha just needs a hug for now. If she's not ready to talk, maybe someone should just try to comfort her.

Poor Xavier! He's upset too. :(

Visions of her exploding; leaping at him karate-style and strangling him around the neck with long splayed fingers were splashing unconventionally through his mind.

That made me laugh. I can't see Martha doing that, not even when she's happy. :)

More please.

Archived