One In A Million

Guest Georgia

Type of story: Short/Medium fiction

Rating: T

Main Characters: Aden and Belle

Genre: Romance

Warnings: At start of each chapter

Is Story being proof read: No

Does story contain spoilers: Yes, kind of. It is an extension of what is happening at the moment with Belle dying

Summary: Belle hasn't told Aden she has cancer, and he has to deal with his grief after she has died.

Dear Aden,

I want you to know that you are the love of my life, my soul mate, my other half. We may have had a rocky time of it, but I need you to know that I always loved you; I didn’t stop for even a second. I always want you to know that I’m sorry. I just wanted to protect you, but I realise now that I made the wrong decision. I should have given you time to accept what was happening to me, to us, to our future, and then you could have made your own decision whether you wanted to marry me or not. Our wedding day was beautiful Aden. I wouldn’t have changed one thing about it, not one little thing. You looked dashing, absolutely dashing, and my heart beat a little faster when I saw you. My life, right then, was complete. I’m sorry that we aren’t going to have a future together, and watch our tiny children play on the beach. I’m sorry that we won’t grow old together, and that you won’t get the opportunity to give our children away, at their own weddings. I’m sorry I was selfish enough to keep this from you, everyone was begging me to tell you, but I needed you there, not out of sympathy and pity but because you loved me. These last few weeks have held enough memories to last me forever, and I hope you feel the same way. When you finally forgive me for what I have done, I hope you can cherish the time we spent together. Everyone is going to help you Aden. Nicole, Rachel, Irene, Annie, Geoff and even Roman will be there to help you through this and I wish I was there to help as well. You don’t know how much I wish I was there. Aden Jeffries, you have helped me through so much, you have given me everything I have ever wanted but was too scared to ask for. I hope I have made an impact on your life, the way you have done on mine. You don’t have to worry about anything Aden; I have taken care of it all. There are no plans that you will have to arrange, just go and talk to Rachel and she will give you everything you need. Remember all our good times, not the bad ones. Concentrate on the fact that I love you, more than life itself, and will always be with you, in your heart, if you will let me. And when the time comes, allow yourself to love again, because a life without love isn’t a life at all. Thank you for letting me be a part of your life, for letting me be there with you, for telling me the truth. Sorry for all the pain Aden, all of it. If I could do this again, I would tell you I had cancer, the rarest form, instead of keeping it from you. I’m one in a million Aden, because I was lucky enough to find you.

I love you, forever and ever, and I’m sorry,

Mrs. Aden Jeffries

“I must be crazy now

Maybe I dream too much

But when I think of you

I long to feel your touch

To whisper in your ear

Words that are old as time

Words only you would hear if only you were mine

I wish I could go back to the very first day I saw you

Should have made my move when you looked in my eyes

Cause by now I'd know that you’d feel the way that I do

And I'd whisper these words as you'd lie here by my side

I love you

Please say you love me too

These three words

They can change our lives forever

And I promise you that we will always be together

Till the end of time.

Chapter Two: Written from Nicole’s perspective

He’s not coping. Anyone could see that. Why didn’t I stick to my promise and tell Aden that Belle was dying? He would have had time to adjust, to realise that their future didn’t exist. Why didn’t Belle think about him? What kind of person doesn’t tell the people she loves that she’s dying? He mopes around the house all day long, as though he doesn’t know what to do with himself. He probably doesn’t. He sits in a chair for ten minutes, then goes and stands out the front for ten minutes. He won’t listen when I try to talk to him. It’s like talking to a shell, an empty shell of a man. Belle took him with her when she died, all the good parts, like his sense of humour, his heart, his compassion, his emotions. He isn’t a person anymore. It’s like he’s the one that died, not Belle. My heart breaks a little bit more every time I look at him.

“Aden”, I said softly, unsure whether or not I was doing the right thing. “I need to talk to you. It’s about Belle”

At the mention of her name, his head snapped around and I could see the pain in his eyes. Why had I agreed to do this?

“She wrote me a letter, Aden, asking me to do something for you”

His interest peaked, only slightly, but he was still curious.

“She wanted you to remember all the good times you guys had and in the letter she asked me to give you this”

Silently, Aden stretched out his arms. I handed over a photo album, a beautiful silver one, with the words Forever and Always engraved onto the front cover, before walking off and leaving him with the gift. I had flicked through the album already, and knew he would want to be left alone while flicking through it.

Belle had obviously gone to a lot of trouble to make it. She had started at the beginning, from before they were even going out, and put in every single clip the town had of either of them. Then, she branched into the photos that had been taken at the beginning of their relationship, Aden at the beach, flirting with her camera and many more photos. She had ended the album with photos of their wedding.

I didn’t agree with what Belle had done. It had been awful to keep the cancer a secret from Aden but I respected her. She had gone to a lot of trouble to make sure Aden would be

OK.

Nicole, Belle had written,

I know we have never gotten along well, but I need you to be there for Aden, because I can’t be. I know you probably hate me for hurting him but I have a plan, a plan that will help him through this. I’m not able to be there, to make the plan work, so I have written a letter to basically everyone in Summer Bay, you, Annie, Geoff, Irene, Rachel, Tony, Miles, Leah, Charlie, Martha, Alf and Colleen. They all have a part to play in this but you have the first role Nicole, the starring role. I need you to give Aden this photo album, as soon as you think the time is right. Have a look through it, you’ve always been a curious one, and you’ll know when to hand it over. As soon as you’ve done that, please give this envelope to Rachel. It has her letter in it and everything she will need to carry on my plan.

I’m sorry we haven’t become better friends, Nicole. Please do this for me, for Aden.

Love, Belle

How could I refuse Belle’s dying wish? Sure, we weren’t the best of friends but I missed her. She made Aden happy and that made me happy. I gave Aden the photo album and left him with it, hoping and praying that her plan would work. My next stop was the hospital, to give Rachel her letter, to continue on Belle’s work.

One thing was sure. Belle Jeffries would never be forgotten.

please comment guys. im not sure whether to keep this one going so just let me know.

Chapter Three: Written from Rachel’s perspective

It was a surprise to see Nicole, and even more surprising to get an envelope handed over. I immediately ripped it open and two smaller letters fell out, floating to the floor. One was addressed Rachel and the other, Tony. There was another small thing in the envelope but I concentrated on reading the letter.

Dear Rachel,

You were right, all along you were right. I should have told Aden because now I’m gone; all he can think about is that I lied to him. I couldn’t tell the man I love that I was dying. It was too difficult. I didn’t want to have to comfort him; I wanted to continue with our lives. But I made a plan, Rachel, and I have done everything I can do. Nicole started it off, now she has passed the baton onto you. I have to ask a favour of you. In this envelope is a necklace. I need you to give it to Aden. It’s precious to us. It’s the necklace he gave to me right before I got addicted to drugs. I want him to half it back, so he can have both halves, and he will never doubt I loved him. Rachel, please do this for me, but make sure the time is right. It has to be perfect. Use your instinct, you’re always right. Then, give this envelope to Tony. It has instructions for him to follow out. Thank you Rachel, for everything.

Love forever,

Belle

Belle had always been a girl with a plan. I couldn’t believe all the effort she had gone to, all for Aden. Of course I would help her out. I went straight over to Roman’s house after

work.

“Aden, its Rachel. I need to talk to you about Belle. She asked me to do something and I couldn’t refuse”

He looked up at me, tearing his eyes away from a silver photo album sitting in his lap. There were tears in his eyes.

“Are you OK Aden?” I asked, unsure if this was the right time to hand over the gift.

“She left me this photo album, Rachel. She was just trying to protect me, to keep me safe but all I can think of is that she left me. How could she love me if she left me?”

“Aden, she loved you more than anything. That’s what I’m here for. Remember when you bought Belle that necklace, the one right before Belle went to rehab?”

Aden nodded and I longed to reach out to him but I knew I couldn’t heal his pain. Only Belle could do that. God, I hope her plan works, I thought to myself.

“Well, she left me a letter and asked me to give it back to you. She wants you to have both halves, so that you will always remember how much she loves you.”

Tears streamed down Aden’s face and I sat there, tears building up in my own.

“Aden, everything will get better. I promise you that. Belle has a plan to fix all of it”

He smiled weakly. “Belle has always had a plan for something”

I chuckled lightly, but Aden’s face turned sad again.

“Thanks Rachel, for the necklace and the comfort but I really want to be alone now.”

I nodded and stood up to leave. “Aden, don’t give up hope.”

“Rachel, I have just lost the love of my life and my life is falling apart right now. A photo album and a necklace isn’t going to fix that.”

“Maybe not, but this is just the beginning” I said, before walking out the door. As I turned to pull the door shut, I saw Aden put the necklace round his neck and open up the photo

album. Maybe Belle’s plan would work after all.

It was time for me to go home and give Tony his letter.

comments would still be appreciated. thanks

Chapter Four: Written from Tony’s perspective.

After dinner last night, Rachel silently handed me an envelope and walked into the bedroom. I concentrated on the envelope. It was handwritten, that much was clear, and the writing was smudged, as though tears had soaked the ink. I cautiously opened the envelope, unsure what was inside.

Dear Tony,

If you’re reading this, my plan is working. Nicole and Rachel have done their parts and now I have to ask something of you. I need you to make Aden happy, and it’s a job only you can do. Remember when you went on the buck’s night and Rachel couldn’t get hold of you? Aden told me the story later that night and my heart immediately went out to you guys. You were having a baby, something that I could never do. I know what I’m asking is a lot, but I need you to ask Aden to be your baby’s Godfather. I took the future away from him; he needs something to live for. Please Tony, do this for me. Aden will be the best godfather ever and your child will be so lucky to have him. After, please hand the other enclosed envelope to Geoff.

Thank you Tony, and please look after Rachel.

Belle

Her love for Aden was unbelievably strong. Even when she was dying, she had only been thinking of him. It was time for me to visit Aden.

When I got to the house, the door was partly open. Aden was lying asleep on the couch, a photo album tucked underneath his arm and a necklace hanging around his neck. The house was a mess. I went in and started to quietly clean up. I know how hard it is when the one you love dies. I picked up hundreds of tissues, straightened up countless photos and then went into the kitchen and made a cup of tea. Tea actually does help.

“Aden,” I whispered softly, “it’s Tony. I need to talk to you. It’s about Belle”

He gently stirred and lifted himself up, still clutching onto the photo album.

He was hurting, I could immediately see that. His eyes were bloodshot, from shedding too many tears. He obviously hadn’t shaved for days; the stubble was thick on his face.

“It’s about Belle’s plan isn’t it?” he asked groggily but I could see a tiny bit of hope in his eyes.

Belle may have hurt him badly but he still had faith. Faith that she would come through for him one last time.

“I’ve come to ask you to be Godfather for my baby”

Aden sat up a little straighter.

“Belle wanted me to be your baby’s godfather” he asked, not sure if he had heard right

“She knows that you wanted kids Aden, and she knows that she’s taken that away from you. Belle wants you to have a reason to get up in the morning, someone to love, someone to take care of” I murmured. It was hard talking to Aden. He was in so much pain, and no one could get through to him.

“Just let me know when you make up your mind”, I said, before standing up and leaving. I knew that I had overstayed my welcome.

“Of course I’ll do it Tony. Belle wanted me to, and I’d do anything for her”

I smiled before walking out the door. He would do anything for that girl, that much I could see. I walked over to Irene’s house and put the letter for Geoff into the letter box.

I still don’t think I have fully grasped the amount of pain Aden is in.

Chapter Five: Written from Geoff’s perspective

It was my turn to check the letter box, so I dragged myself away from my English assignment and walked to the box. There was the usual bills, the junk mail, a note for Irene and an envelope addressed to me. I wasn’t too curious; it was probably just details about the next game. I walked inside and put all the letters onto the table, before walking upstairs to bed.

I woke early the next morning. I wanted to go to the gym but first I had to open that envelope. It could be something important from Tony. I ripped open the envelope and three smaller packages fell out, one was addressed Annie, the other blank and the third had my name on it. My curiosity levels soared.

Dear Geoff,

First of all, I want to thank you for everything. I never imagined having someone like you in my life, but I was dealt a good hand, and you have made everything much richer. I’m so glad you and Annie came to live with Irene. It gave me a whole new view on my life, and it was great to talk to you about all my problems. Geoff, I know this will be hard for you because you and Aden weren’t always the best of friends, but I love him Geoff and he needs everyone. I’m not assuming he’s missing me, I just know what he’s going through. When he left me, I was heartbroken and he was living right down the road. When I was diagnosed, I imagined a life without Aden Jeffries and it hurt me just to think about it. That’s when I knew he would need help. I wouldn’t be able to survive without him; it isn’t fair that he should survive without me. I have a plan Geoff, and it will work, I know it. Nicole gave him a photo album, Rachel: a necklace and Tony offered him the role of Godfather. Geoff, I need you to do something for him. It may be hard but you have to do this, for me. I know you may have turned your back on the church but can you please take him to a service? Aden has never been religious and a sermon won’t change that, but if he sits there and listens to the Father talk about love and faith, I think it will give him a new look on life. He will realise he has to move on. It may not happen straight away but this will pave the way. Give him some of your unwavering faith. Oh, and Geoff, once your done, can you please pass on the other envelopes to Annie?

With all my love,

Belle

P.S. Go and make up with Nicole.

Belle was right. It was going to be hard, not just because Aden and I don’t always get along, but if I rock up and ask him to come to church, I will probably get punched in the face. But I would do it because Belle was right. Of course he would be in pain; his wife has just died. I slowly set off towards Aden’s place, trying to think of the right way to express myself.

“Aden”, I called out cautiously, before pushing open the door. “It’s Geoff”

There was no reply but I could hear a scuffle from the kitchen so I walked towards it. Curled up in a corner was Aden. He was sobbing deeply, a pile of papers next to him.

“Aden, it’s going to be OK,” I promised as I ran into the room.

He didn’t seem to hear me until I came closer and repeated myself.

“G-Geoff. What are you doing here?” Aden questioned, startled that someone was in the house.

“I came to see if you were OK and I needed to ask you something. What’s all this paperwork?”

I started to put my hand towards the pile but Aden slapped it away.

“It’s a mixture of little pieces of paper we collected since we started dating, like movie tickets and dinner receipts. It’s the letter I sent Belle, ending things between us. It’s the letter Belle sent me after she died. It’s Belle’s will,” he finished, before bursting into tears again.

I slowly reached my hand out and took Belle’s will off the top of the pile. It was short and simple.

I, Belle Jeffries, hereby give all of my money and possessions to Aden Jeffries, my husband. If my husband does not outlive me by thirty days, I want all of my money and possessions to be split between Irene Roberts, Geoff Campbell and Annie Campbell. If my husband does not outlive me by thirty days, my other beneficiary, Irene Roberts, only has the right to touch my possessions; Aden’s are only to be touched by his chosen beneficiary.

Now I understood why Aden was crying. His wife was gone, and he was left with everything, but he didn’t want any of it. It reminded him too much of Belle, the only one that he wanted.

“Aden, I’m here because of Belle”

His head immediately snapped up. “Her letters,” he choked, struggling to breathe as tears still streamed down his cheeks

I nodded my agreement.

“I want you to come to church with me”

“What!” Aden actually laughed. “I’m not going to church. Why would Belle want me to go to church? She knows I’m not religious”

“Listening to someone talk about love and faith might actually help you Aden. Even if you don’t believe in it, it’s amazing hearing what the Father has to say, and it really gives people something to live for. I’ve turned my back on the church lately Aden, but I actually think it could help you, help us both.”

“For Belle”, he whispered softly before turning away from me.

I could hear his sobs start up again and I had to leave.

“I’ll see you tomorrow morning Aden. I’ll pick you up on the way” I said on my way out of the door, hoping he heard me.

I would definitely give Annie that letter tonight but now I was off to see Nicole, to finish the P.S. on Belle’s letter.

Chapter Six: Written from Annie’s perspective

I didn’t open my letter until Geoff had come back from church, late in the afternoon. He had told me it was all part of a plan Belle had put together, to help Aden, but I didn’t want to rush it. When I opened my letter a piece of paper fell out. I immediately reached down and started to read it.

Dear Annie,

Remember when Irene first asked you to move in? She thought a female influence would make a good impression on you. I never would have guessed that you would be the one to make an impression. You’ve taught me a lot about myself Annie, about morals and life in general, and for that I’m thankful. You were the sister I never had. Now, I have to ask one last thing to ask of you, and I know it’s selfish. You are in pain right now, because I betrayed you. I didn’t tell you I was sick and now I’m gone. I would hate anyone that could do that to me. The truth is Annie, I was scared, terrified actually. I wasn’t strong enough to face it, let alone let anyone else in on it. I’m sorry Annie, really, truly sorry, but this isn’t for me, it’s for Aden. I never could breathe without him, I fell apart when he wasn’t beside me and I’ve inflicted the same pain on him. Night time was always the hardest. When you get used to having someone’s arms around you, it becomes impossible to sleep without them. He used to cradle me in his arms, as though I was important and special, like I was the prize instead of the incredibly lucky winner. I couldn’t sleep without him Annie, and he can’t sleep without me. Go to him tonight, and just hold him. Let him fall asleep in your arms, so he can feel comforted, and loved. Let him know there is someone there for him. You are the only person I can trust to do this Annie, the only one brave enough, the only one strong enough. Just let him cry, Annie, and let him sleep. I would need the same thing if I was in his situation.

Love, for eternity, your sister,

Belle

The letter was beautiful. No matter what Belle thought, I knew she was strong. In her most difficult time, she had thought of Aden. I wish I could one day find my soul mate, someone who could love me that much. I rushed straight over to Aden’s house. I was glad that Belle had asked something of me, I had been feeling so lost. She had always been a big sister, a role model and without her, I wasn’t sure what to do anymore. I walked into Aden’s house without even knocking. He was laying on the couch, silently, with a few tears streaming down his face. The television was on mute, and he was staring at the pictures flickering across the screen.

“Aden”, I whispered quietly, “it’s Annie”

He didn’t even raise his head, so I slowly closed the door, trying not to make too much noise. He wasn’t coping, that much was clear. At the moment, I hated Belle. She had left this great guy and now he was just a shell, an empty mould of the person he had been. These letters where not going to be enough. She had betrayed him, and it seemed impossible that he could come back from this, yet I was still determined to give it a shot.

“I’m so sorry Aden, for everything. She loves you. You have to know that”

He just stared at the television.

I went and sat down beside him, and he moved his feet over slightly, as if to accommodate me.

“Where’s Nicole?”

“She’s out. Sick of me moping around I guess”

It was the first time I had heard Aden speak, and happiness surged through me, even if he was speaking in short, sharp sentences.

And with that, he broke into loud sobs, and my heart shattered. How could I possibly help him? He was in too much pain. He had loved Belle too much, and I had hardly any experience with relationships. What was I supposed to do? I sat there helplessly, and watched him cry, before settling back into the couch and pulling him towards me. At first he resisted, but then he fell into my arms, and I gently rocked him backwards and forwards, while tears dripped down my own face.

“S-s-sorry Annie”, he muttered

“Don’t worry Aden. I’m here for you” I repeated it again and again, trying to soothe the broken hearted man

“I’m here for you”

Chapter Seven: Written from Irene’s perspective

The letter was on my pillow when I went to make my bed. It had her hand writing on the front, and my breath caught.

Irene, Belle had written,

I owe my whole life to you. You took me in when I had no one; you made me the person I am today. You changed me Irene, made me a grown up, someone strong enough to face life, yet I still hurt you. This was the one thing I couldn’t face, couldn’t have prepared for. I have had so much bad luck and I thought it was finally changing. I was in love, happily in love, and the next minute I was dying. Telling anyone would have made it real, like bringing a nightmare to life. I wanted to go on pretending that everything was OK, so I did, I really tried. I got married. I wanted Aden to know, without any doubts, that I loved him more than anyone else. He was the reason I woke up in the morning, the reason I smiled on the way to work. Irene, thank you. You were the one who held me when I cried, when I didn’t feel good enough for him. You made me believe in true love and soul mates and happily ever afters’. I may not have gotten my happily ever after, but it was pretty close, except for the people I hurt and left behind. I truly am sorry Irene. If I had my time again, I would do things differently. I just wanted to protect you, but now, writing these letters, I’ve realised that I have left you all behind, with no warning. I want to change things but this is the only way I know how. If I had told you and Aden, you would have been mad at me for not telling you straight away, and I wanted my last days to be happy. He’s all alone now Irene. Change him like you did me. Ask him to move in with you. Let him stay in my room. He’ll feel close to me, but also close to others. Irene, I don’t know if I ever told you this but, I love you.

Your daughter,

Belle

My daughter, Belle. She was one to be proud of. She had her head screwed on right, even if she had made a mistake.

I walked into her room and looked around. It was exactly how she had left it. She may have moved out but a lot of her stuff was still here. Photographs of Aden lined the room, and her bed wasn’t made. A smile lit up my face. Maybe Belle was right. It must be hard for Aden to live in that big house, all by himself, when all the memories there were sad ones. Roman going to jail, Nicole leaving to move in with Geoff, Belle dying. I walked over to the house I still referred to as Roman’s. It would stay empty for a while, until Aden could stomach the thought of being there alone, until he moved on and was slightly happier. The door was open, letting the sea breeze drift inside. The house looked clean enough, but there was no air of happiness there. It was all sadness, all pain.

“Aden, its Irene. I’m here to talk to you about Belle”

I could hear feet pounding down the stairs and I smiled again. His eyes were still bloodshot, and his face was still blotchy from crying, but he plastered a smile on. It didn’t reach his eyes but it was a start.

“She left me a letter”, I began, not sure if he knew that I was involved in this.

“Yeah, I know all about this plan of hers. It’s nice to know she was thinking about me”, he whispered softly, but a spasm of pain shot across his face. He wanted Belle with him now, that much was obvious.

“I was going to build up to this darl, but I don’t really know how to. Belle wanted you to move in with me and I think it’s a great idea”

“A photo album, a necklace, church, godfather, comfort and now a new home?” he questioned, still unsure what Belle had planned.

“This house is too big for you Aden. You need someone else pottering around with you and right now, there isn’t” I gasped, shocked at how the words had come out. “Aden, I didn’t mean it like that” I gushed, desperately trying to take it back.

“Don’t worry Irene. You don’t have to tiptoe around me. I love Belle and she loves me, and I just have to accept that she’s gone. We have enough memories to last us a lifetime”

I raised my eyes to meet his. Tears were building up.

“It’s one thing to say that Aden. It’s a whole different thing to start acting on those words”

He just nodded. “I know Irene, believe me.”

My heart leapt out to this poor boy. When I had first met him, I had hated him. He was such a trouble maker, and then I thought he was just there to bring Belle down. But something had changed. Belle’s death had brought us closer. He was more than a trouble maker, he was someone’s best friend, someone’s confidante, someone’s husband, someone’s widow. Right in that moment, I realised I loved him.

“Aden, you are Belle’s husband and that makes you part of my family. I’ll help you pack”

“Irene, right now, I have everything I need except Belle”

I just nodded.

“Let’s go home Aden”

I’m not sure about this chapter so let me know what you think.

Chapter Eight: Leah’s perspective

Dear Leah,

Thank you for having the hen’s party at your house. I don’t know if I said that before, but I am thankful. It was a great night. I suppose by now you know why I wasn’t drinking. I’m not worried for myself Leah. I’ve made my bed and now I have to lie in it. I’m worried about Aden. We went through so much together; it’s the end of an era. If he had left me, I wouldn’t know how to get up in the morning and I couldn’t leave Aden in pain. I thought of him, and realised he was more important. So I made a plan. All the big steps are complete. Aden has a life now, a new family, a new god daughter, and some faith. I’ve painted the outskirts of the picture, now I just need to fill in the inside. There are only so many things I can do for him Leah; he has to do the rest on faith. Just give Aden these directions please. It’s his choice, he can go there if he wants, but if he’s sick of this, sick of me, he can end it all right now. He just doesn’t have to go. It’s that little secluded spot on the beach, the place where I first realised I loved him. I was just sitting there, and he came along, and we messed around in the ocean. Life was so simple then. Before hostage situations, Angelo, drugs, Liam and Nicole, when all we had was love. I just want him to go back to the simple times, walks on the beach, coffees at the diner, sleepovers. I want Aden to move on Leah. As much as it pains me to say this, I want him to move on. He deserves happiness and I can’t give that to him now. So please, just give him the directions. He can make up his own mind.

Thank you, for everything,

Belle

I gave him the directions. I couldn’t say no. Belle always did get what she wanted, not in a spoilt way, but when she set her mind on something, no one could resist.

I slid the directions through the door at Irene’s place and left. I didn’t want to disturb. I didn’t want to see the pain in Aden’s eyes. I know what he’s going through. When I lost Dan, I didn’t know where I was, or what was happening. You get into a kind of trance, one that’s impossible to break. I may not have wanted to see Aden, but I went and watched the spot Belle had talked about. Living in a small town makes you curious. I had to know his decision.

I waited for five hours, and he still hadn’t shown. I rose calmly of my seat. He had had enough. Belle had left him, betrayed him, and he didn’t want to know anymore about her plan.

I started walking back towards the diner, but footsteps behind me made me stop and turn around.

“Aden,” I called out, “are you OK?”

I walked back towards him. It had taken him ours but he had shown up.

“Leah,” he called back, “I was looking for you. I want you to come to the beach with me”

I nodded, not trusting myself to speak.

We walked to the beach, metres in between us, not speaking. I didn’t have any words to comfort him, and he had no words to say to me.

“Do you know where you’re going Aden?”

He ignored my question and started talking.

“I wasn’t going to come today. I don’t want this to be happening. I don’t want Belle to have a plan to help me heal. I want her to be with me. I need her to be with me. I wake up in the morning, and I don’t want to get up. I don’t want to go to work. I don’t want to leave the house. But then Irene comes banging at the door, and I force myself to get up and put on a brave face. I’m supposed to be strong, but I’m falling apart Leah. Sometimes I catch myself just standing in the middle of a busy day. Everyone else is moving and I’m trying so hard to catch up with them, but I can’t. It’s like I’m moving in slow motion, and everyone else is running. When am I going to speed up again? When am I going to be able to wake up in the morning with a smile on my face? When am I going to be able to think of Belle and laugh, instead of breaking down in tears? Do you know that I’m sleeping on the floor at Irene’s because I don’t want to get into her bed. When I was at Roman’s, I slept on the couch because I didn’t want to walk into our room. Is Belle’s plan going to fix this? Is she really able to heal me or are these letters going to stop and leave me with a gaping hole inside of me?”

I didn’t know how to reply. How do you answer those questions? What words can comfort them? Instead I reached across and grabbed Aden’s hand, clutching it tight, and we continued walking to the beach. He didn’t say another word; he just concentrated on putting his feet in front of each other. We walked for a while, keeping the slow, sombre pace, until we reached our destination.

There in the sand, partially buried, was a delicate little box.

I walked up and pulled it out. Aden just stood there speechless. There was a note in there for him, and a bunch of other letters, for the other people in Summer Bay.

“Do you want me to read you the note Aden?”

He just nodded his head.

Dear Aden, I began,

I’m scared. I’m more than scared, I’m terrified. I’m afraid that I’ve made the wrong choice, I’m afraid that I’m going to die alone, I’m afraid that you’ll think I’m controlling your life, I’m afraid that you won’t love me anymore. I haven’t done any of the things I wanted to do with my life. I wanted to go bungee jumping and skydiving. I wanted to go camping around Australia. I wanted to have kids. I wanted to die at 110 years old, in your arms. I may not have done everything I wanted to do, but I have you, and that was worth it. I would trade anything for that. But now, I’m afraid that because I’m gone, you’ll hate me, and then my life would have been pointless. You see, I believe that people are put on earth for a reason. Some people are supposed to make a change to the world; others are supposed to sacrifice themselves for the greater good. My cause was to help you. That sounds unbelievably corny but I think it’s true. I think I was on the world to help you. And because I fulfilled my purpose, I have to go. But Aden, please, for me, doing something amazing with your life. That’s what you are here for. Make a change.

I love you Aden – those three words have my life in them,

Yours for eternity,

Belle

P.S. Don’t give upI concluded and gently folded up the note and put it back in the box.

For the rest of the day, we sat on the beach and I held Aden as he cried.

When the sun finally set, he stood up.

“I suppose it’s time for me to decide what I want to do with my life” he announced

I pushed myself off the ground and nodded.

“We’re all here to give you guidance, hope and support Aden”

He just nodded and pulled me into a hug.

“Thanks Leah,” he whispered, “for everything.”

I reckon this chapter is really bad but I can never write from Martha’s perspective because I don’t like her character. I apologise to any of her fans, but it’s just my opinion. Read and comment please!

Chapter Nine: Martha’s perspective

Leah handed me the note when Hugo and I walked into the diner. I waited until I was alone later that night to read it.

Dear Martha,

Thank you for coming to my hen’s night, even though it was hard for you. You put aside your problems with Charlie so that I could have a fun night and I want to thank you for that. Not many people would have been able to do that. Martha, I know you have a lot on your plate right now, so I’m not going to ask you for much. Jack died a little while ago and I know the circumstances were different, but there aren’t many people that Aden would feel comfortable talking too. He wasn’t close to many people, and the ones he can talk to, don’t have any experience in this matter. God, I sounded so professional and grown up then. I don’t want you to have to seek him out. I know Aden better than anyone else, and I know that when he’s ready, he will want to talk to someone, to find out how they moved on. He won’t ask Leah, because he’s already asked so much of her, so he’ll come to you. I don’t want you to turn him away, Martha. I want you to talk to him, to let him know how you moved on. I love him with all my heart, but I’m gone and as much as it pains me, he needs someone to love.

I’m sorry for asking this of you, but I have too,

Tell him the truth Martha,

Love Belle

At least I didn’t have to seek out a grieving widow. That would have been too difficult. If Aden came to me, of course I would help him. When Jack died, it took me quite a while to move on, and I found it easier to be with people that already knew about Jack. It saved the awkward explanations and trying to catch them up on all the stories. I would definitely talk to Aden, but I was fairly sure that when I did, he would leave Summer Bay. He would go and be with someone who knew Belle, even if they could only be friends. In Summer Bay, all Belles’ friends were older people, or Nicole, and there was no way he could be with any of them.

I still remember when Jack died. I couldn’t believe it was true. I thought he had got caught at the school formal. God, I wish he had got caught in the school formal. I lay with him all night. I couldn’t let him go. I had known all night that something was wrong, but I couldn’t quite put my finger on it. Everyone else thought I was just being stupid. I suppose I proved them wrong. The look on Tony’s face still haunts me. He was pale and heart-broken. I can’t imagine what it must be like to outlive your son.

But then I met Hugo, and things started to change. At first I resisted, it was too soon after Jack, but I realised I had to move on. You can’t stay gripping onto the past forever. You have to go forward, and Belle understands that. It must have been hard for her to imagine her husband loving someone else, but in that moment, she was truly selfless. Aden came first.

And so I decided that I would write a letter. If I talked to Aden in person, I would burst into tears, and that wouldn’t help him. Instead, I would sit down and write all my thoughts down. When he came ready to talk to me, I would just hand him that, and tell him that I wasn’t strong enough to talk about it in person.

It took me three hours to write down everything I had to say.

It took Aden three months to come and get it.

A/N: the three letter’s Aden refers to is the one written in chapter one, the one in chapter eight and one that he receives during this chapter.

WARNING: DEATH REFERENCES

Chapter Ten: Aden’s perspective (one year later)

He would never regret moving to Summer Bay. All of his actions had brought him closer to the beautiful, independent, feisty girl that he loved more than his own life. Everything else dimmed in comparison to her, and even thinking about loving someone else made him feel physically sick. He was alone in this world now. Nicole may have given him a photo album but she had forgotten about him, busy playing happy families with Geoff. Rachel and Tony may have given him a necklace and let him be a godfather, but it didn’t help him when they were constantly travelling round the world. Geoff may have taken him to church, but he was now too busy doting constantly on Nicole and their precious baby daughter. Annie was in a relationship with a guy who made her smile constantly, and she struggled to make time to see anyone except her new love. Irene let Aden stay in Belle’s room rent free, but he still wasn’t fully accepted in the household. He had never really connected with Martha; the things she told him about loving another person didn’t seem to apply to him. He was well and truly alone, left with only the three letters Belle had sent him.

The last one had come on Christmas Day.

Dear Aden, it had read,

Merry Christmas! Don’t drink too much! We don’t want a repeat of your bucks’ night do we? Stick to orange juice this time, it’s better for you.

This is the last time you’ll hear from me Aden, I promise. I know we didn’t exactly get the best hand dealt to us but I wouldn’t change it for anything. I found my Prince Charming, and got my happily ever after, or at least I started to get it.

Life may get you down at times but you can get past it. You are strong, brave and incredibly resilient, you won’t take no for an answer! You will be amazing and I’m just sorry I won’t be here to see it.

I’ve told you before that I believe you were the reason I was here, to help you, but it’s more than that. Did you know that lobsters have one mate and one mate only? If you look in their tank, you can see old lobsters, still holding claws. You are my lobster Aden Jeffries, the one I was destined to be with.

You know when you were a little kid and you believed in fairy tales, that fantasy of what your life would be, white dress, prince charming who would carry you away to a castle on a hill. You would lie in bed at night and close your eyes and you had complete and utter faith. Most people grow up and let go of their fairy tale, they stop dreaming, but meeting you was the opposite. You restored my faith in true love, and soul mates, and overcoming all obstacles in the way. But at the end of the end, faith is a funny thing. It turns up when you don’t really expect it. I never imagined you would be the one to make me believe again. I realized that the fairy tale is different than how I dreamed it. You made it better. You surprised me, you took my breath away.

You may be in pain right now Aden, but you just have to ride it out, hope it goes away on its own. There is no easy answer; just breathe and wait for it to subside. I hate myself for putting you through this but I hope one day you’ll be able to forgive me because I love you. But too much of anything, even love, is not always a good thing. We are the perfect example of that. I love you, yet you are still hurting.

The hold you have on me is permanent and unbreakable. You made me confident in myself, and you were there through everything. You made me believe in magic and soul mates. You made me love you Aden Jeffries.

I may be gone from your sight, but I’ll always be in your heart,

Forever yours,

Belle Susan Jeffries

She may have been strong enough to contemplate a life where we weren’t together but I wasn’t. I would never find another lobster. No one would fill her shoes, so what was the point in trying? I would never be able to look at another person and actually see their face. They would just be a blur, a shadow of my great love.

If I met another, the most they could ever be was my silver medal, because the gold was already claimed by the girl who owned my heart.

I laid out every single memory I had of Belle on the bed. I could barely see the bed spread anymore.

It was covered in tickets to every show we’d seen, every movie I’d taken her too. There were shopping lists and little meaningless notes saying that we’d be back in five minutes. After I had laid everything out, I sat at the desk and wrote my own letter.

She may have been strong enough to think about living without me, but I can’t go on living without her. I wake up in the morning and another wave of pain rolls over me as I remember that Belle isn’t with me anymore. I struggle out of bed, and take hours to get ready, because I find it physically impossible to keep moving, when I know she isn’t my motivation. You may think I’m backing out, but it’s been a year, and I’ve only smiled a few times. I haven’t laughed for a year. I can barely see what I’m doing because everything in Summer Bay reminds me of Belle. She overwhelms all my senses and I’m powerless to shut my eyes. I can’t even leave Summer Bay because then I’ll be leaving her behind. She changed me into a better person, one that should be able to do things for the world, but I can’t. I’m trapped here, a burden to everyone I used to know. Everyone has their own life now, but I’m dragging the past into it and depressing them. All I want is to be with Belle.

It was Boxing Day when Nicole found him. She came over to give him a Christmas present and he was laying slumped over his desk, a needle and a morphine bottle lying next to him.

It was exactly a year after Belle Jeffries death before her husband joined her. As Nicole was screaming for help, the two were finally together again.

Even death wasn’t enough to separate them.

The End

let me know if you guys want a prequel to this one. it will be a short fiction, featuring belle and aden actually happy until this news shatters Belle and she makes the decision to keep her illness a secret. do you think it will be a good idea ? any ideas for a title?

Comments

Archived