That's The Way The Cookie Crumbles

Guest Georgia

Aden Jeffries lived a half life. He had fallen in love with the most amazing girl in the world, and he didn’t know how to fall back out of love. He had called again and again, but her mobile was disconnected. She obviously didn’t want to speak to him anymore and he understood why. They had finally been back together and he had ruined it all. Belle loved him and he loved her. He wasn’t strong enough to live without her, so it was time to visit Summer Bay, this time to stay for good.

The whole of Summer Bay was in mourning for the beautiful young woman they had lost too soon. Aden arrived and was shocked at how solemn everyone seemed. He went straight to the beach house, not bothering to look around for Belle anywhere else.

“Belle”, he called, as soon as he reached the door

Instead of an answer, all he heard was snuffles.

“Belle”, he called again alarmed. “What’s wrong?”

He ran straight inside but instead of seeing Belle, he saw Annie sitting on the couch crying.

“Annie, what’s wrong?” he asked comfortingly, upset to see the young girl so devastated

“It’s Belle. She’s gone”

“What do you mean gone? Is she on holiday or taking some personal time?” he asked, unsure about what was going on

“She died Aden! She died!” Annie started crying even louder but Aden no longer knew how to comfort her. Belle couldn’t be dead. She had always been so full of live, an inspiration and a role model. Someone like that can’t die. They are a staple of everyday life.

“Annie, I have to go” Aden whispered, before standing up and walking to the door.

“Aden, there’s a letter on the kitchen side. We didn’t know how to get in touch with you, so it’s still here. It’s from Belle”

Aden nodded and grabbed the letter, before swiftly leaving the house, Annie still in tears.

He headed straight for the beach. It had always seemed like such a calming place, with the water lapping gently on the shore line. Aden had always felt in control there, as if he was the only one that existed.

He wandered aimlessly. The beach just wasn’t comforting him today. He had come back to reunite with Belle. It may have been four years too late, but she had said she had five years. He had counted on spending the last year of her life with her, and now it had been snatched away from him.

In the end, he walked towards a small cave; very similar to the one Belle had been found in. He sat there and pulled out his letter. It smelled like flowers, the same kind that always surrounded Belle. Just a small whiff of her perfume made his eyes well up with tears, and guilt surged through his body. She had known that he had loved her more than life itself right?

Dear Aden,

I was never much of a gambling girl but I know enough to realise that I got dealt a very bad hand of cards. Irene, Geoff and Annie may have been there for me, but they weren’t the one I needed. I’m not saying this to make you feel guilty, because when you realise I’m gone, you’ll feel bad enough. I just want you to know that I was awake that night in the hospital, when you said all those beautiful things. You may have physically left me, but emotionally, you were always with me, in my head and especially in my heart. There was no one else I ever loved like you Aden; no other guys filled the space you left. You are the love of my life Aden Jeffries and time and space cannot change that.

I love you,

Belle Taylor

He was unaware of the storm that was raging on outside the cave. He didn’t notice the screams as people rushed to get inside. All he could feel was the tears pouring down his face, burning his cheeks, and the letter cutting into his hand. Belle may have forgiven him, but Aden knew that he would never be able to forgive himself.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived