That's The Way The Cookie Crumbles

Guest Georgia

Belle’s life continued along the same track as on Home and Away, just without Aden. So after he left, she took drugs, went to rehab, met Liam Murphy etc.

Chapter Six: Written from Aden’s perspective. Comments would be appreciated.

When Aden boarded the plane, he could never have imagined what had just happened. The love of his life was in a coma, he had been placed on oxygen, she had been declared dead and just as Rachel was about to tell him the news, she came back to life again. His life was like a soap opera!

“Aden, Belle’s fine. It was touch and go for a while but she’s awake and talking. It’s a medical miracle”

Miracles didn’t often happen in Aden’s life. He had run straight to Belle’s room, just to look at her.

“Belle Taylor, don’t ever scare me like that again”

“Like you really care”

“Of course I care. I’m here aren’t I?”

“For now, until things get tough and you bail on me again”

“I will never leave you again Belle. I have spent the last four years trying to work up the courage to come back into your life.”

“When you first left me Aden, I went crazy. I started taking drugs and I overdosed at Tony and Rachel’s wedding. I got admitted to rehab and met Liam Murphy, you know, the rock star. It took a year for me to get back onto my feet. The whole time I was thinking, what if he comes back? You have to put yourself back together for him. You were my motivation”

He had literally ruined her life. The strong, independent, feisty girl he had fallen in love with had taken drugs to cope with her life.

“I thought you would come back for me, and I knew that as soon as you did, I would take you back with open arms. My life without you was shocking. Everything went dim. I no longer saw colours; it was just black and white. I know I’m probably terrifying you, but it’s the truth Aden. I couldn’t live without you. I had gotten used to being with you, and then when you left, I didn’t know what to do”

It did terrify him but not because it was too much, too soon but because it was exactly the same way he felt.

“After three years without you, the colours started to come back. I saw black and white but I also saw brown, grey and purple. It wasn’t as brilliant as before, but I could tolerate it. I thought you had moved on. Actually, I knew you had moved on. Three years without any contact was a tell tale sign. But I still told myself that I would take you back if you came by Summer Bay and somehow still wanted me.”

How could Belle Taylor doubt the hold she had on him and his heart?

“After three and a half years, I could see red and green as well. Not just the colours but the emotions too. I saw jealousy and anger. I was angry at you for leaving me without a goodbye and I was jealous of your life, and the girl that got to love you. But I still told myself that I would take you back”

She had felt like that only six months ago. There was still hope.

“Then you came back and my heart leapt into my mouth. I could barely speak around you. You had come back for me. We were meant to be together. But then we started talking and I realised you had come back to mend bridges with everyone in Summer Bay. Then you started talking about me, about us. I thought we were finally going to get back together but then you made it sound as though getting back in touch with me was just the right thing to do, because you were back in town. I felt awful”

It was finally time for Aden to speak.

“I covered up my true feelings Belle. I didn’t know if you wanted me and I couldn’t live in a world where you didn’t want me. I love you Belle Taylor, more than life itself. I never want to be apart from you again”

“I love you too Aden Jeffries. It has taken a near death experience to show me just how much”

Aden opened his eyes and looked at the girl lying beside him. Somehow he had managed to clamber onto that tiny hospital bed and snuggle into her.

“I love you Belle”, he whispered, planting a kiss on her forehead, before shutting his eyes again and drifting back to sleep.

He had sweet dreams that night.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chapter Seven: Written from Belle’s perspective. Italics still means flash backs, bold italics means its is a letter Belle is writing.

Nothing could wipe the smile of her face. She was in love again, with the most brilliant guy in the world and for some reason, he loved her back. No matter how long they stayed apart, they had a relationship that would never end, a connection that could never be broken.

Aden had told her he never wanted to be apart from her again.

It was the best day of her life, well apart from almost dying anyway.

Four years earlier, she had thought her life was other. It had been stupid to get so involved with Aden in the first place, but she couldn’t help herself. As soon as she had let him in a little bit, she knew he was the one for her. All those other failed relationships meant nothing. Ric, Drew and Lucas were all in her past, somewhere that she never wanted Aden to be. Aden Jeffries was her future that she was sure of. It may take a while for them to get back on the right path, but they were determined to get there.

“I love you Belle”, he whispered, planting a kiss on her forehead, before shutting his eyes again and drifting back to sleep.

As soon as he had fallen asleep, she had gotten up. There was so much to do, but so little time to do it in. Belle Taylor wasn’t scared of commitment, or death, she was scared of time. Every sixty seconds, the clock ticked again, snatching away another minute of her life. That was what terrified her. She wanted to live forever, and she couldn’t. It was an impossibility, Rachel had told her that much. She would be lucky to live another five years. The cancer inside of her was aggressive and at the moment, there was no cure. Doctor’s all over the world were trying to help her, desperately trying to find a cure. Belle’s cancer struck only one in a million people, and everyone felt sorry for her. She was young, and vibrant, and she should have had her whole life ahead of her.

How can you tell the man you love that you are dying?

She couldn’t tell him to his face. It was too hard, looking into his eyes and seeing the pain. She couldn’t write him an e-mail, that was too distant. She couldn’t send him a text, that was just pathetic. She would sit down and write him an old fashioned letter.

Dear Aden,

This is the news that you never want to hear. I didn’t want to hear it but I had no choice. Everyone in Summer Bay has been so good to me, taking me to the city for appointments and tests, holding my hand and telling me it will be OK. But it isn’t going to be OK. You always told me I was one in a million. You were right, but not in the sweet, romantic way you meant it. There’s no cure for being one in a million, even though everyone is trying to help me. I thank you so much for coming back into my life, at the time I need you most. Rachel says I have a maximum of five years left. Five years isn’t long at all, but it may just be long enough for them to find a cure for cancer. That’s what I pray for every night before I fall asleep. I pray for a cure, I pray for the clock to stop ticking, and now I pray that you won’t leave me. I need you now, more than I have ever needed you. I need you to be the one to say I will be OK, I need you to be the one to hold me as I cry. I know it’s a lot to ask of you, but I love you, and I need you, Aden Jeffries, I need you to be here for me. Please Aden.

I love you, forever and ever,

Belle

She left the letter right next to the bed and walked out of the room, looking for something or someone, to comfort her. Life was handing her the worst cards but she had to have hope. The best doctors were helping her, they could find a cure. And now, she had Aden back in her life. Maybe, just maybe, her prayers were being answered. She sat quietly in the empty hospital corridor and listened to the clock tick on.

Tick, tock.

comments would be appreciated as always :D

Chapter Eight: Aden’s perspective

He had woken up and she wasn’t there. He had been there for her, and now she was gone. The bed was empty, only him and the blankets. He had gone four years without seeing her face and he couldn’t bear to go any longer without seeing Belle. He clambered clumsily out of bed, and tripped into the bed side table, falling to the floor and taking a piece of paper with him.

“****”, he swore, “why does this always happen to me?”

Rubbing his shin, Aden leaned back against the bed and read the paper in his hand, his jaw dropping and tears collecting in his eyes. Five years, maximum? It was like a prison sentence to him. He could only spend five years with Belle? Aden picked up the phone that was lying on the table and was put straight through to the operator.

“I need to speak to Doctor Rachel Armstrong please”

“Of course sir”

“Please put me through,” Aden waited impatiently, already sick of the rubbish hold tone the operator had turned on

“Doctor Armstrong, how can I help you?”

“It’s Aden.”

“Hello! I didn’t expect to hear from you so soon. What’s up?”

“She told me”

The silence at the other end of the line was literally painful.

“Aden, I’m not sure how much Belle told you but –“

He cut her off. “She didn’t tell me anything, she wrote me a letter”

“What are you going to do now Aden?”

“I’m going to do what I do best” he snapped down the line, before hanging up

He stood up straight and started to make the bed, before turning to the bedside table and straightening it back up.

He placed the letter back onto the table and re-arranged all off Belle’s things, which had been scattered on the floor.

He then walked out of the room, quietly shutting the door behind him, and started to walk out of the corridor, only stopping when he saw Belle.

She was curled up in a ball, with her jacket spread over her for warmth. Aden leaned over and put his jacket over her too, to stop the goose bumps from spreading further up her arms.

“I will always love you Belle. Never ever doubt that. I’m just not strong enough for this. I came back to be with you, but you’re dying, and I can’t be here to watch the person I love die. I can’t cope with it. I know you will wake up and hate me all over again, but I know the truth, and as much as I hate myself, I know I’m doing the right thing, for both of us. You deserve someone to be there, to help you, and if I stay, you would have to help me through it, which isn’t what you want, or need,” he concluded, tears pouring down his face, before bending down and kissing her lightly on the forehead.

“Goodbye Belle. You are the best thing that ever happened to me.” With that, he turned and walked out of Belle Taylor’s life forever.

Belle, not quite asleep, had heard it all, and a solitary tear rolled down her cheeks.

“Goodbye Aden. I love you” she whispered, before the one tear turned into sobs.

Both Aden and Belle reached for their necklaces, a gift Aden had given four years ago, as they parted for what seemed like the final time.

please let me know what you think :wink:

Chapter Nine: Four years later

Dear Irene, Annie and Geoff,

The definition of family is parents and their children, considered as a group, whether living together or not. We may not be blood related but you are the closest thing I have ever had to a family. Irene, you took me in when no one else would take a chance on the broken girl looking for her mother. You gave me food to eat and a place to stay. You gave me support and strength but most of all, you gave me love. Love, which helped me find out who I was, what I wanted, who I wanted, what I needed. Then you did the same for Annie and Geoff. You took in those shy, religious children and brought them out of their shells. You introduced them to life, the same way you introduced me to life. Geoff became such a strong young man, someone you could count one, someone responsible and dependable. Annie grew into a beautiful young lady, and I was so privileged to see that. You all taught me so much about myself. Eight years ago, the love of my life left me behind, and I fell apart. I went crazy, and I know how much that hurt you, and for that I’m sorry. I put myself back together though, in case he came back, in case he realised that he loved me. And you know what, miracles do happen. He came back, right when I needed him. My life was coming to an end, a prison sentence of five years. I thought he would stay with me, that he wouldn’t be able to leave me again but I was wrong. Too much, too soon and all of that. He left me, broken again but this time I knew the truth. He was looking out for me. It was hard to wake up in the morning, knowing that he would never come back, because he couldn’t watch me die. I had you three though, and you were my angels. You took me to every appointment, every test, every scan, and held my hand through it all. I didn’t realise it at the time because I missed him so badly, but you guys were my strength, my rock. I never did thank you. So I’m thanking you now. For everything. And I know it’s too little, too late but I’m a person that believes. No matter how rubbish your hand is, you can still win. And I may have been dealt the worst hand, but I still won, because I had you three. I know you are probably hurting right now, but I have to get it all out. I have to leave something behind, so that you will always remember how much I loved you all. If I could live my life, I would do nothing differently.

Your daughter and sister,

Belle

P.S. Track down Aden and give him this letter. He may have moved on but I think he deserves to know that my pain is over. And tell him that if I took a photo of him, it’d be about the person.

It was three days after Belle Taylor’s funeral.

Archived