Extreme Lengths

Guest Red Ranger 1

Bit of a short one, I'm afraid, but it's getting late.

CHAPTER 11

Nicole hurried down the hospital corridors to the room indicated.She pushed open the door and saw Geoff lying there, his head bandaged.Claudia was by his side, holding his hand.

Nicole felt a bit like she was intruding but she needed to know.“How is he?”

Claudia turned to face her and Nicole saw the tears dried on her face.“They say he’s out of danger but… they won’t know until he regains consciousness whether or not there’s any damage.”

“Do you mind me being here?”

“No, I mean…you’re still friends, right?”

Nicole nodded.“Right.”

“I know we haven’t been together long but…I do care about him.”

Nicole stepped awkwardly into the room, rubbing Claudia’s shoulder gently.“Yeah, I can see that.It must have been hard on you and Annie finding him.”

She nodded.“The door was open, he was just lying there.Someone hit him and just left him like that.”The thought suddenly seemed to occur to her.“How is Annie?”

“She’s fine, she’s with Jai.What about Belle?”

Claudia shrugged.“There’s still no word.Annie and I told Charlie all we know.”

“But they think Dom’s got her?”

“He’s missing as well so…yeah, maybe.I think Geoff knew something was going to happen, he was so insistent we stay out of the house last night.He wanted him and Belle to be there alone.”

“How would Geoff know?”

“I’m not sure but…he’s been acting strangely ever since he went to see Aden last week.”

“Aden…”It suddenly occurred to Nicole that she was going to have to have another conversation.And it wasn’t one she was looking forward to.

Belle thought being in prison was bad.But it was nothing compared to this.At least there there was some sort of order, of control.You knew what the rules were and you had a getting out date to look forward to. Here, she had none of that.

Dom had taken to his old cabin, the one he’d taken her to before.There were fresh curtains hanging from the windows, fresh sheets on the beds, even vases of flowers scattered everywhere.All the comforts of home.That seemed to be what he’d been aiming for anyway.

Belle sat hunched in a corner, not wanting to move, not wanting to do anything.Dom was standing at the other side of the room, looking at her curiously.“What’s wrong, Taylor?”

“I just want to go home, Dom.”

“But you are home.”He gestured around him as though the point was obvious.“I made it all nice for you.”

“This isn’t home, Dom!”she protested,“Home is back there in Summer Bay, with Aden and Irene and Geoff and Annie.They’re the people I care about and thanks to you Aden’s in jail and Geoff could be dead!”

“You don’t need any of that, Taylor.”He knelt down beside her, reaching out to stroke her hair.She flinched away but it didn’t seem to make any difference.“They don’t know you like I do.They don’t appreciate you.”

“Dom, please.”She tried to speak to him gently.“Just take me back.”

“Uh-uh.That’s all behind you now.We’re together at last.”

“You’re crazy, Dom!”All thoughts of gentleness went out the window.“We are never going to be together and I am never going to be happy staying here with you!”

He thumped the wall next to her, his face a mask of anger.“Don’t call me crazy!I’m sick of people laughing at me, of thinking I’m nothing.You’re different, Taylor.I’ve always known that.You want to be with me.”

“Dom, you can’t make me like you by hurting the people I love and keeping me here like this!”

“Just a bit longer,”he told her as though she hadn’t spoken,“Then you’ll see.We belong together.You don’t need to see any of those others ever again.”

Thanks for the continued encouragement.

CHAPTER 12

“Are you all right?”Jai asked for what seemed like the umpteenth time.

Annie cradled the glass of water he’d given her, not showing any signs of drinking it.“When are we going to hear something?”

“Who from?”

“I dunno.The police, the hospital.I just feel like we should be doing something.”

“Well, there’s not really anything we can do,”Jai replied, expecting her to accept the point.

But Annie’s mind was whirring.“Maybe not about Geoff but…what about Belle?Maybe we could find out where she is?”

“Annie, the police are looking for her,”Jai pointed out,“What makes you think we could find her if they can’t?”

“I don’t know but…I’m not sure the police believed us about Dom being behind it.I mean, no-one saw him.”

“Yeah, okay.But how do we know where to look?The police went to his place and his mum said he’d packed his bags and left town.She didn’t know where.”

“I know but I can’t help thinking…”Annie stopped suddenly.“Drew.”

Jai looked at her in confusion.“What?”

“Drew.Belle’s old boyfriend.When she went missing before and we thought Dom had her, he went looking for her.He said…Dom had this old cabin that he used some time.He thought she might be there. Maybe that’s where she is?”

“Maybe,”Jai replied uncertainly,“But how are we going to find it?”

But Annie was already on her feet looking through a notepad.“Ric was friends with Drew.Maybe he’s left a number for him here.We should ask him where the cabin is.”

Jai sighed.“Okay, this Drew.Does he have a sister called Nancy?”Annie looked puzzled.“Think about it.”

Nicole hadn’t expected the conversation to go well.And she’d been right.She could see the anger and frustration boiling up inside Aden as she’d explained the events of the last few days to him.By the time she finished, she could tell it was taking a monumental effort on his part not to overturn the table, smash his way past all the guards and head off to search for Belle himself.

“Dom’s got her?”he asked.

“We think so.”

“So much for Geoff looking after her.”

Nicole could understand Aden’s anger but she couldn’t help sticking up for her ex.“Geoff’s lying in hospital in a coma.I think he did the best he could.”

“Yeah, okay.Sorry.So what are the police doing?Are they looking for Dom?”

“Sort of…”

“What do you mean, sort of?”

“Well, they’ve got no witnesses, apart from Geoff and he’s out of it.He sent Annie and Claudia away for the night so they didn’t see anything.So there’s no proof that Dom’s involved.Charlie said he’s a person of interest and that’s all.”

“And meanwhile he’s out there doing goodness only knows what to Belle.”Aden was almost shaking with barely contained fury.“This is what he wanted all along.Me left in here to rot so there’s no-one to look after her.I need to help her, Nic.”

“I know you do, Aden, but…Just sit tight, okay?There’s people out there looking for her, I promise I’ll let you know the minute something happens…”

Aden shook his head.“I can’t just sit here doing nothing while she’s in trouble, Nic.I’ve got to go and help her.I need you to get me out of here.”

“Yeah, look, we’re working on it, okay?I’ve been on at your solicitor every day, we’re working on an appeal…”

“No, that’s not what I meant.”Aden looked quickly left and right, making sure no-one else was in earshot. Then he leaned closer to her and lowered his voice.“I mean I need you to help me escape.”

Hope you all like this one.Assuming there is still an all out there...

CHAPTER 13

“Jai, wake up!”

Jai didn’t really have any choice but to obey the voice.He vaguely remembered Annie had stayed over in Nicole’s room but that still didn’t explain…“Annie, why are you in my room at half past seven in the morning?”

“I got a call back from Drew.He got my message and he gave me the directions to that cabin.”

“Right, so, you’re going to pass them on to the police?”

“No, we’re going to go there.”

It wasn’t exactly the news Jai had been hoping for.“Annie, we need to let them handle it.”

“Well, we don’t actually know Belle’s there.We should check the place out ourselves first.If she’s there, then we’ll call the police.”

There was a certain logic to what Annie said.Unfortunately.“Have you spoken to Nicole about this?”

“No, she’s left already.She was up before I was.”

“Okay.”Jai suddenly found a hole in Annie’s plan.“How are we going to get there?It’s not like a bus goes near there and I can’t see Miles or Kirsty agreeing to help us play detective.”

Annie looked crestfallen for a moment then brightened.“We’ll ask Claudia.”

“Do you even like Claudia?”

“I will do if she helps us find Belle.”

Belle woke up and tried to stretch.Then she remembered that her hands were tied, securely fastened to the bedpost.She glanced around the cabin and was greeted by the sight of Dom, crouched in front of her.Had he been there all night?Watching her?

“Morning, sleepyhead,”he greeted her in that deceptively gentle way.

All sorts of thoughts and comments flashed through Belle’s mind at that moment but she pushed them all away.Antagonising Dom was not the way to go.“Are you going to untie me now?”

“Can’t do that, Taylor.You’re still confused, you might try to leave.”

“You can’t keep me here forever!”

“I don’t need to keep you here.You’ll want to stay here soon enough.Once you’ve forgotten all those ideas people put in your head.”He stroked her hair, either ignoring or not noticing how repulsed she looked at the contact.“And I’ll untie you as soon as I get back.”

“Back?”

He nodded.“Just need to go to the shops for some things.Don’t worry, I shan’t be long.”

Belle waited until the door had closed behind him before flopping back on the bed, tears of frustration in her eyes.Only a few weeks ago, she’d woken up with Aden, she’d been so happy.And now…now she didn’t know if she’d ever see him or anyone else she cared about again.

Annie had a notebook full of directions in one hand and a map of the area in the other, scrunched into the cab of the ute with Jai and Claudia.“You need to take a track on the left hand side…”She glanced up at the road and pointed.“There.”

Claudia did as she was instructed but didn’t look entirely happy.“Are you sure we should be doing this?”

“Yeah, this is definitely the way.”

“That’s not exactly what I meant…”

“Don’t worry,”Jai told her,“I’ve got a bad feeling about this as well.”

Aden kept casting furtive glances around the recreation area, trying hard not to look too closely at the fire escapes and at the guards left on permanent duty by them.The area was full of guards on the lookout for trouble and prisoners who looked as though they enjoyed trouble.Only someone completely mad would want to spark it all off.

Fortunately, Aden had found someone who was completely mad.Or near enough.Terry was a serial arsonist and compulsive thief, the sort of person you kept well away from your belongings, especially matches.Aden had told him he could go to his cell and take anything he liked on one condition…he caused him a diversion.

Aden glanced at the clock before looking at Terry and giving him a nod.Terry signalled his understanding. Then he went up to Bruno, the biggest and heaviest guy on the wing and, without a word, punched him in his considerable gut.

Pandemonium erupted instantly.All Bruno’s friends immediately jumped to his defence.Other prisoners leapt into the fray, still others found themselves caught in the crossfire.Guards ran forwards to try and control the free for all melee that was erupting.Aden stood back from it all, desperate not to get drawn into it.That would ruin everything.He glanced at the fire escape and, as he hoped, saw the guard on duty there leave his post to help control the mini-riot developing.As quickly as he dared, Aden dashed over to the door and pushed him way through.

He found his way into the yard and realised to his relief that he’d timed it to perfection.The laundry truck was making its daily visit, the gates were open, the guards loading up the truck focused on their work, not expecting a prisoner to be wandering about loose.Aden slipped past them, heading for the gates, then he was out of the grounds and looking desperately around the street outside for what he hoped would be there.

He saw Roman’s old car parked nearby, Nicole at the wheel.He didn’t even want to ask where she’d got it from.

He pulled open the passenger door, clambered in next to her and told her,“Drive.”

“You do remember I don’t have a licence?”she pointed out.

“Yeah and I’m an escaped convict,”he reminded her,“Drive.”

Yay, I got comments!Although those of you who've been commenting on every chapter have my thanks as well.And:

it was a bit too easy for Aden to get out of prison

I think that prison may have to look at their security since Aden escaped fairly easily.

Ahem.Yes.Well, it is a soap prison.We all know how easy it is to escape from them.

CHAPTER 14

Belle pulled desperately on the ropes.She didn’t know how long she’d been doing it.An hour, maybe longer.Ever since Dom had left her all alone here.She would have thought that in that time the ropes would have loosened, she would have been closer to being free.But instead they held her as tightly as ever, cutting into the skin.

She almost collapsed from the frustration.She remembered that night after she’d been released, the night before last.She’d been so looking forward to seeing everyone again, to having a chance to see Aden.But he’d already arranged for Geoff to whisk her back to the house for her own safety.She’d thought they were both being melodramatic but then there had been Dom grabbing hold of her and Geoff just lying there…

She wondered what was happening to Aden now.Had they told him?She didn’t think they’d be able to hide it from him for long, she could just imagine him pestering people for news, for assurances that she was all right.Was he in the same situation as her, locked away, helpless, not knowing if she was dead or alive? Just as she didn’t know about Geoff…But she knew one thing.Aden wouldn’t have given up on her.He never had, not once.Despite everything they’d done to each other, despite all the reasons for them to be apart, he’d never once wavered in his insistence that they were meant to be together.She knew he’d tear down anything in his path to make that happen.

With that thought in her mind, she began pulling on the ropes again.

“Do we actually know where we’re going?”Nicole asked.She kept looking in her rear view mirror as though expecting a police car to appear there any minute…or possibly to catch a glimpse of Aden getting changed into the clothes she’d brought on the back seat.

Aden had to admit that he didn’t.Getting out of jail and finding Belle had seemed simple when he’d first thought of it but there were a few details he hadn’t taken into account.“Haven’t you got any clue?I mean, haven’t you tried to find out?”

“Sorry, I was a bit busy helping you out with your jail break at the time to play detective!”Nicole rolled her eyes.“God, Dad’s gonna love this.All three of us are going to end up behind bars at this rate.”

The comment reminded Aden of how long he’d been out of commission.“How is he?”

“A bit down but I think he’s doing okay.I went to see him on…”Nicole snapped out of it.“One thing at a time, Aden!”Then it struck her.“Annie.”

“What?”

“Last night, Annie was behaving oddly, she said something about trying to find Belle.”

Aden leaned forward, doing a creditable job of giving her an exasperated look while half his shirt buttons were still undone.“You’re saying our best lead is Annie?”

Nicole handed him her mobile.“Unless you’ve got a better idea?”

“It’s Nicole,”Jai realised, checking the caller ID.

“Why’s she ringing us?”Claudia asked,“Do you think she knows what we’re doing?”

Jai shrugged and handed the mobile to Annie.“It’s your phone.”

Annie reluctantly took it from him and answered the call.“Hey, Nic, it’s Annie.”

“This is Aden,”came the voice on the other end.

Annie almost dropped the phone in shock.“Aden?What are you doing with Nicole’s phone?What are you doing with any phone?”

“I, um, kinda escaped.”

“What?”Annie had an overwhelming urge to end the call and deny it had ever happened.

“Look, Nicole thinks you might know where Belle is.”

“Well, it’s just an idea but we heard Dom’s got this cabin.It’s about ten miles from town.You go on that road past the surf club and turn left down that track…”

“Yeah, I know it,”Aden confirmed, sliding into the passenger seat and gesturing to Nicole to head in that direction,“We’ll check it out.You just keep away.”

“Actually, we’re nearly there now,”came Annie’s response.

“What?Now, look, Annie, if Dom’s there you need to keep away.”

“Well, what if he’s not there?Then you’d have wasted your time.We’ll just check it out and if they’re not there we can tell you.”

There were times when Annie was difficult to argue with.Even when you knew she was wrong.“Okay but don’t do anything stupid.Just hold off until we get there.”

“Leave the stupid stuff to us, you mean?”Nicole asked as Aden ended the call.She saw him dial another number.“Who are you calling?”

“Charlie.”

“What?What for?”

“To tell her Dom’s at the cabin and she can go and arrest him.”

“Aden, we don’t know he’s there…”

“Fine.”There was a determined look on Aden’s face.“Then I’ll tell her I’m going to be there and she can come and arrest me.”

Not that I meant to upset anyone who isn't commenting on every chapter, your views, and indeed your, um, other sort of views, are most welcome.Oh good grief, I wish I'd never started this...

CHAPTER 15

Annie had led the way to the cabin, Jai and Claudia following her with a bit more reluctance.She peered in through the window before nodding to them excitedly.“Belle’s there!”

“Is she all right?”Jai asked.

“She’s tied up but she looks fine.”Annie moved towards the door.

Claudia caught her arm.“Where are you going?”

“To get her, of course.Dom’s not there…”

“Aden told us to wait for him,”Jai reminded her.

“And what do you think Geoff will say if I let anything happen to you?”Claudia added,“We should just call the police.”

“And what if Dom comes back?”Annie asked,“What if he hurts her?We should get her out now while we can.”And before anyone could argue, she pushed the door open and hurried into the cabin, forcing them to follow her.

Belle’s eyes widened in surprise as she saw them.“Annie, Jai, Claudia, what are you doing here?”

“Looking for you,”Annie explained as though it was obvious.

“Is Dom here?”Claudia asked.

“He went to get some shopping, he’ll be back any minute.”

Jai went over to her and began undoing her bonds.“Okay, we’d better get you out of here.”

“How’s Aden?”All the question that had been on Belle’s mind came pouring out.“And Geoff?What happened…Jai!”

Belle had seen the movement but her warning shot came too late.Dom stepped up behind Jai and smashed him over the head, leaving him unconscious.Then he turned on Annie and Claudia.“What are you doing here?”

Annie stepped in front of Claudia protectively.“You can’t hurt her, she’s pregnant!”

Claudia pushed Annie aside in almost the same instant.“She’s just a kid, let her go!”

“You think I’m stupid?”Dom demanded,“I let you go, you bring the cops back here!You’ve ruined everything!I should just…I should just…”

“Dom,”Belle interrupted quietly, placatingly,“It’s not ruined, yeah?I’m still here.We can still be together. Just…just let them go.Then it’ll just be the two of us.That’s what you wanted, right?”

Dom turned and backhanded her, causing her head to snap back painfully.“Don’t play me, Taylor!You were going to leave me!I should…”

It was the worst possible moment for Dom to become violent.Because suddenly a pair of powerful hands swung him round and then Aden’s fist connected with him once, twice, three times, before letting him crumple to the floor.

Nicole, Annie and Claudia hurried over to where Jai was lying.“Jai, are you all right?”Annie asked anxiously.

Jai blinked a few times, rubbing his head.“Ow,”he said at last.

Annie hugged him with relief while Nicole patted him on the shoulder.“Guess you’re going to be okay.”

Aden and Belle had barely paid attention to the reunion.They stood there, staring into each other’s eyes for what seemed like the first time in an age.Then they kissed, deeply and intensely, weeks of pent-up tension flowing out.Then Aden got down to the less important business of untying her.

“I knew you wouldn’t give up on me,”she whispered.

“Thinking of you’s the only thing that’s got me through these last few weeks.I wasn’t going to give up on that.”

“But how did you get here?Did they let you out?”

“Ah.”Aden looked suddenly uncomfortable.“Not exactly…”

As if on cue, Charlie appeared in the doorway, accompanied by three other police officers.She took in the situation, the disparate group of people in the cabin, and sighed.“Okay, I think we’re going to have a lot of questions for you all down at the station.”

Thank you so much for all your comments, hope you like this one.

CHAPTER 16

Belle, Jai, Annie and Claudia had all given their statements and been taken back to the police station reception area.The others, Charlie informed them, would have a few more questions to face.

Since Jai and Annie had been in their care, Miles and Alf had been called and the expression on their faces made the group wish they were still facing a police interrogation.

“What exactly did you think you were doing?”Miles demanded.

“Don’t be too hard on them,”Belle put in,“If they hadn’t found me, I don’t know what would have happened.”

“Okay, it turned out all right in the end,”Alf agreed,“But what if it hadn’t, huh?”

“We know we should have gone to the police,”Annie admitted.

“Charlie told us that,”Jai added,“A lot.”

“But I was just worried about Belle.And…what with Geoff still being sick and us not being able to do anything, I guess I needed to find something I could do.”

Miles looked at her in surprise.“What, no-one’s told you?”

“Told us what?”Claudia asked.

“Geoff woke up this morning.I’m not saying he’s doing cartwheels around the ward but the doctors are certain he’ll make a full recovery.”

Belle, Annie and Claudia hugged each other in delight.But the celebration was cut short when Charlie emerged from the interview room, accompanied by a contrite-looking Nicole.“After much consideration, we’ve decided to let Nicole off with a caution for aiding a fugutive,”Charlie explained,“Just no more jail breaks in future, okay?”

Nicole nodded.“Okay.”She noticed Miles’ glare.“I’m sorry about…”

“When we get home,”he told her sternly.

“What about Dom?”Jai asked,“I take it you’re not letting him off with a caution.”

“At the moment we’re not sure,”Charlie replied,“He’s undoing a psych evaluation and they might decide he’s not fit to face charges.But either way, I think it’s going to be a long time before he’s out on the streets.”

Belle swallowed hard before asking the question she’d been dreading.“And Aden?”

“Well, given that Dom’s been babbling about how he got rid of your boyfriend for the past hour, I’d say he’s got good grounds for an appeal against the drug charges.”

Belle couldn’t quite believe what she was hearing.“You mean, you’re going to let him go?”

“Not exactly.Until his conviction’s been officially overturned, he’ll have to remain in custody.We’ll be transferring him back to jail as soon as we’ve finished taking statements.There’s also the question of him absconding.”Charlie sighed.“I’m sorry, Belle, but it’s far from certain that he’s going to be a free man at the end of this.”

Belle made her way into the room where Aden was sitting.There was a police officer outside the door but Charlie had agreed to give them time alone.She sat down opposite him and took his hands.And then they just remained there, silent.

“First chance we’ve had to speak in weeks and we don’t know what to say,”Belle said at last.

“Guess there’s nothing to say,”Aden replied.

“Yes, there is,”Belle insisted,“Aden, you saved me, you saved all of us.And now, because of that…”She looked away, tears in her eyes.

Aden touched her chin and gently moved her head, so she was looking at him again.“The moment I knew you were in trouble, I didn’t have a choice.I could never have not helped.And I would do it all again if it meant knowing you were safe.”

“But what about you?What if they won’t let you out?”

Aden shrugged.“I knew the risks.”

“I don’t care how long it takes, Aden.Six months, a year.I’m going to be here when it’s over.I’m going to be waiting for you.”

There was a knock on the door and their guard entered, tapping his watch.Aden got to his feet.“Guess it’s time.”

Belle jumped up and hugged him, holding onto him for every last second that was possible.And wondered when she’d be able to do it again.

Sorry this is another short one, hope you enjoy it.

CHAPTER 17

“I’m all right,”Geoff insisted as Claudia and Annie helped him in through the front door.

“We’d probably believe you more if you weren’t on the verge of falling down,”Annie told him.

Belle and Nicole were waiting in the front room.“How are you feeling?”Belle asked.

Before Geoff answered, Claudia cut in,“The doctor said he should be fine so long as he has plenty of rest and doesn’t overdo things.”

“Guess you’d better give the footie a rest,”Annie commented.

“Oh, I can see the next few weeks are gonna be fun,”Geoff sighed as he eased himself into a chair.

“What, being surrounded by a bunch of gorgeous girls who have to wait on you?”Nicole asked,“I bet you’ve had dreams like that.”

“Talking of which…”Belle sat down beside him.“I’m so sorry about everything.You wouldn’t have ended up in hospital if you hadn’t been looking out for me.”

You’re sorry?”Geoff repeated,“I’m the one that let you get kidnapped, I should have done a better job of things.”

“Maybe you should both accept that you did the best you could?”Claudia suggested.

Belle smiled and gave Geoff a quick hug.“Now, see you when we get back.”

“What?”Geoff noticed Belle, Nicole and Annie all heading for the door.“What happened to my dreams?”

“Aden’s in court today,”Nicole told him,“Remember?”

“Oh.Yeah.”Geoff gave an apologetic look.“Hope everything goes okay.”

“You going to be all right without us?”Belle asked.

Claudia sat down on the sofa next to him, putting an arm round his shoulder fondly.“Don’t worry.I’ll keep an eye out for him.”

Belle at least had the consolation that this time she was in the gallery with Annie and Nicole rather than in the dock with Aden.He’d given her a look when they’d brought him in as though trying to reassure her everything would be all right.She resolved to bite her tongue.The last thing Aden needed was her getting herself into trouble again.They’d get through this.Whatever happened, they’d be strong.

At least the case against him was fair this time.The court had heard everything relevant from the statements they’d all given, as well as the transcripts from Dom’s interview with the police and his psychiatrist’s report.And finally the judge had announced he was ready to give his decision.The three girls in the gallery, and their friend the defendant, waited to hear what he had to say.

“It is the judgement of this court that your conviction on the charge of drug possession was unsound.In light of this new evidence, that verdict and the sentence you received as a result of it are overturned.”

Belle wanted to celebrate but she knew it was too early.The next part was the important bit.

“You have pleaded guilty to the charge of absconding from custody.The process of the law must be respected and those who are remanded into custody, whether guilty or innocence, must follow that process in order to obtain their release.Disregarding such process carries a three month sentence.However, this court cannot ignore the fact that not only were you the victim of a miscarriage of justice but that the sole purpose of your absconding was to prevent others from coming to harm.For that reason, I am suspending that sentence for a period of twelve months, the terms of your previous good behaviour bond to remain in place throughout that period.Mr.Jefferies, you are free to go.”

Belle almost couldn’t believe the words until she saw Aden stepping out of the dock and walking towards her.She bounded down the stairs towards him and threw herself at him, feeling his arms around her, tears of delight rolling down her cheeks.“It’s finally over,”she gasped.

Aden grinned at her.“Didn’t think you’d get rid of me that easily, did you?”

Thanks for the comments, last chapter, hope you like it.

CHAPTER 18

“Gawd save us.I wasn’t expecting this much of a reception committee.”

Geoff, Annie, Claudia, Nicole and Jai had all crowded into the front room of the beach house when they’d got the call.Annie ran over to Irene and threw her arms around her.“We’re just so glad you’re back.”

“Me too, love, me too.Although I’d be a bit more glad if you gave me a chance to breathe.”

“And this is for good?”Claudia asked.

“Yep.Haven’t touched a drop since I left here, retreat have given me a clean bill of health.Although I have to say, some of the stories I heard coming through from here almost had me reaching for the bottle.What have you all been up to?”

“It’s…been an interesting few weeks,”Geoff admitted.

“I’ll say it has.Chasing after madmen?Jail breaks?It’s enough to give anyone a headache.”

“I have got a headache,”Geoff pointed out.

“So have I,”Jai claimed.The others looked at him.“Well, I did have.”

“I guess all’s well that ends well?”Nicole suggested.

“Hmm.”Irene eyed them all uncertainly.“All the same, I’m sorry I wasn’t here for you all.”

“You had important stuff of your own to do,”Claudia pointed out.

“And we handled it,”Annie added.

“So…everything did end well?”Irene looked around them uncertainly.“How did Aden go in court this morning?”

“You don’t know?”Annie asked.

“Well, I’m asking, aren’t I?”

“Another clean bill of health,”Nicole replied,“He’s a free man, so long as he behaves himself.”

Jai smirked.“Yeah, like that’s going to happen.”

“So long as he behaves himself a bit.”

“So, where is he?And Belle?”

There was an awkward silence for a moment before Nicole answered.“Er…they’re in Belle’s room. Catching up.”

Aden held Belle tight against him, gently pressing kisses against her face as he ran his fingers through her hair.“Feels like weeks since we last did this.”

“That’s because it is,”Belle replied.

“Oh yeah.”

“Felt like the longest four weeks of my life.”

“In a way it did,”Aden agreed,“But in another…”

“What?”

“It…kinda felt like you were always there.Thinking about you, knowing what you’d do, what you’d say… it got me through a lot of stuff.”

She smiled.“That is so sweet.”

“I know.”He kissed her gently.“But don’t expect me to repeat it in front of anyone.”

“Got a reputation to keep, huh?”

“Oh yeah.”He grinned.“They keep trying to split us up but they never succeed.”

Belle punched him in the arm, a cross look on her face.“Never say never.You’ll give us bad luck.”

“Oh, what, like we can have any more bad luck?”

“Well, don’t blame me if the sky falls on us…”

“Okay.”Aden looked at her seriously.“But in a way it wouldn’t matter.”

“Sky falling on us?It’d mean the end of a lot of things.”

“Yeah and I’m hoping it doesn’t come to that, that we manages a few more…decades together.But if the world did end tomorrow, I’d still have you.Because all the time we’ve had together, I’m never going to forget that.I’m never going to forget us.”

She grinned at him.“Well, if we do say so ourselves, I guess we are quite unforgettable.”

He returned the grin and kissed her.“That’s us.Unforgettable.”

Comments

Archived