A Summer Bay Wedding

Guest TelephotoMarigold

Ella woke slowly and rolled over. Roman was still beside her. She grinned.

“Hello Lover.” She said softly pressing kisses on his shoulder.

“What time is it?” he asked.

“Around 11.” She said.

He groaned and stood up grabbing his bathrobe he wandered into the shower.

She grinned and climbed out of the bed. She pulled on shorts and a T and went downstairs making a strong pot of coffee. Getting glasses of water sorted out and putting multiple packets of headache tablets on there. She opened the fridge and took out food starting making a full breakfast.

Roman joined her and grinned.

“You look better as a blonde.” He told her.

She leaned over and kissed him.

“And you look better and kiss better without the goatee so why don’t you go back to the bathroom.” She suggested grinning at him.

He put his arms around her and placed his hands on her breasts feeling them.

“They are bigger.” He said.

She smiled and removed his hands.

“A half cup size.” She confessed.

He kissed her again.

“If each time I get you pregnant they get bigger how many times will you have to get pregnant before you reach a g cup.”

She looked at him.

“Sit down.” She ordered.

He chuckled and sat.

“I was just curious.” He grabbed some tablets and downed a glass of water.

“6.” She said. “But don’t count on me reaching that target because they will go down when I breast feed.”

He looked at her and smiled.

“Feeding our baby.” He said softly. “I can’t wait.” She put some toast in front of him then served up the rest of the food in bowls so people could help themselves.

He caught hold of her and pulled her on to his lap.

“I love you.“ he said.

She smiled at him.

“I love you too.” She kissed him slowly.

They pulled apart when Geoff stumbled down the stairs and into the kitchen.

“Hey Geoff. Did you have a nice time at the club?” Ella asked innocently.

Roman chuckled.

“Not a good time as Roman.” Geoff said pouncing on the headache tablets.

“Really?” Ella said grinning. “Would that be because he went off with a cheap blonde in a leather mini skirt?” she said in the same tone of voice.

Geoff did a double take groaning at the sudden movement of his head.

“You know?” he said.

“We have no secrets in our marriage.” Ella said and felt Roman poke her in the ribs. “Ow” she muttered.

She turned and looked at him giving him another kiss and standing up to fetch the coffee-pot.

“Geoff it was me in a blonde wig.” She said. “You and Aden were dancing and Miles went to the men’s room and there were 8 bottles on the table.”

Geoff looked at her.

“Seriously.” He said. “Oh my god.”

She nodded and poured out the coffee. She had to take a step back as the smell hit her.

“Sorry.” She muttered and went outside to gulp in fresh air after a moment she rejoined them and sat at the table. She looked pale.

Roman smiled sadly and held out his hand to her.

She took it and grinned back at him.

Ruby and Nic slowly joined them.

Ruby led Nic to the table and put a glass of water into her shaking hands. She looked at Geoff.

“And what did you get up to last night?” she asked him.

He smiled slowly.

“I can’t remember.” He said hopefully.

Roman chuckled.

Nic swallowed the tablets Ruby handed her and nibbled a piece of toast. After a few minutes she said.

“I’m going back to bed. Don’t wake me until I have to get dressed for the wedding.”

Ella laughed.

She stood quickly and pressed a bottle of water into Nic’s hand and sent her back to bed.

Ruby collapsed in the chair and helped herself to breakfast and a big glass of water.

“What is the plan for today?” Ella asked everybody.

Roman smiled at her.

“I think I’m going to go for a run and get some fresh air.”

Geoff turned pale and getting a bottle of water for himself, he went back upstairs to rejoin Nic.

Ella chuckled.

“Rubes?” she asked.

“Well I thought a hot bath with bubbles and then maybe a nap.” She grinned.

Ella laughed.

“If you look in the cabinet you’ll find some bottles of bubble bath in there you might like.” She told her.

Ruby grinned.

“Does anyone want the bathroom before I go?” she asked.

Ella nodded.

“I won’t be long.” She went upstairs and took a rapid shower coming back downstairs 5 minutes later dressed in her runners and trainers.

“Come on mister.” She said to Roman.

He laughed and went upstairs to change.

Ruby came over to stand next to her.

“Ella are you sure you should be running?” she asked. “You were really pale last night.”

She hugged the girl.

“I know I was tired and he won’t let me do anything too strenuous. Trust me.” She smiled. “And I need to start doing stuff again.”

She gave Ruby a hug. Before stepping outside and warming up. She saw Roman come downstairs and grab his keys before he joined her.

They both warmed up in silence before they set off at a gentle pace.

“Where are we going?” he asked.

“Well we are going to the diner I want a milkshake and while I’m drinking the fattening thick ice cream laden shake you can go off and do something exercisy.” She told him.

He grinned at her.

“I had a feeling that you weren’t planning on keeping up with me.” He said.

“Like you would let me.” She smiled.

“You are right. I’m kinda concerned about you right now.”

She chuckled.

“Just you wait until this one is born you’ll find me more than keeping up with you. I’ll be back to my rock climbing, riding my bike, running, swimming and surfing.”

He laughed.

“With or without the baby?” he asked.

“Oh with. I’ll have the baby strapped to me in one of those carriers. Of course I may not have the baby with me when I’m surfing.”

He laughed loudly.

“Well this is me.” She reached up and kissed him. “Off you go.” She said and walked into the diner hearing his chuckle as he went to finish his run.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nic crawled out of bed and went into the bathroom. She took a very long shower and grimaced. It was now Monday and she was convinced that the hangover shouldn’t last this long. But then again she did drink cocktails amongst other things.

She went back to her room and got dressed before heading over to the house. Ella was already there waiting for her.

“Hey.” Ella said.

“Hello.” Nic muttered.

“Are you still feeling rough?” Ella asked her.

Nic nodded and only removed her sunglasses inside.

“Why are we here El?” she asked.

Ella handed her a gift bag and watched as Nic slowly looked into it. She had placed a notebook and pen, decorating magazines a tape measure and an envelope.

“What?” Nic asked puzzled.

“Well you need to work out what you need in the way of furniture and things. And you will need curtains .too.” she said.

Nic finally found the envelope and opened it looking inside she saw a $1000.

“Ella this is way too much money. We can’t accept it.” Nic told her.

“It’s nothing Nic. It will get you started. I’m sure you can spend it wisely and get a lot for it.” Ella told her.

Nic smiled.

“I will accept on one condition.” She said.

Ella grinned.

“Of course I’m coming shopping with you.” Ella laughed.

Nic grinned.

“Ok lets get started. Lounge. “ She said. “Right lets measure the windows.”

They went from room to room and measured the windows and room sizes.

Nic went once more into the smaller bedroom and looked around it. If I put my sowing table on this wall I could get my drawing board set up over here so that the natural light would fall on it.” she said. “I wouldn’t have to worry about getting carpet or curtains for this room until a while.”

Ella nodded.

“You could get your Dad to help you move the things tonight.” She suggested.

Nic nodded grinning.

“How did you know that I wanted to start moving in?” she asked.

“It’s only natural you want to start your life together. I’ll let you in on a secret. When I came back tot he Bay a part of me hoped that your father would still be available but I didn’t realise how much I still felt for him. We waited until we were married too.”

Nic looked at her.

“Seriously? Not that I really want to know about my dad’s sex life but seriously.”

Ella chuckled.

“Yes Missy. We wanted it to be romantic and special. So I understand why you are waiting.” Ella said.

Nic went over to her and hugged her.

“I think you are wonderful.” She said.

“Well you might take that back because I’m about to meddle. I’ve been in touch with Natalie.” She began and saw Nic pale but she continued. “She’s coming to the wedding.”

“But how? She was broke.” Nic said then groaned. “You’re paying for her aren’t you?”

Ella smiled.

“Yes. Nic I don’t want you to look back on this in a few years time and regret not having your mother there. I miss my mother even thought she wasn’t much of one.” Ella paused and took a breath. “The only family I had at my wedding to your Dad was you and Mike.”

Nic welled up with tears.

“When does she get here and does Dad know?” Nic asked shakily.

“I haven’t told him I want to talk to you first.” She said.

Nic nodded.

“She gets here on Thursday afternoon.” Ella told her. “I’ve booked her into the Sands.”

Nic looked at her.

“She is going to run up a huge bill.”

Ella shrugged.

“I don’t care as long as you are happy.”

Nic smiled.

“You are right I was upset when she said she couldn’t come.” She said eventually.

“Thank you Ella.”

Ella gave Nic another hug.

“Shall we go shopping?” She asked her. “Oh, and this is from Geoff.” She handed Nic another Envelope.

Nic opened it slowly and read the message on the card.

“My beautiful Bride to be, I have been thinking of the perfect present for you and after Ella spoke to me about what she wanted to do I thought of this. With love your future husband Geoff.”

She counted out the money.

“He can’t afford this!” she gasped.

“He can. We went through it twice so that he made sure that there was still money left over to put towards the first bills when they came in. He wants you to decorate the house Nic.” Ella grinned.

“And what do I give him?” she groaned.

“That tree.” Ella said. “I’ve seen you with it. You’re dad said something about it being special.”

Nic nodded.

“So how about when we’ve been shopping we look at a place in the garden to plant it.”

Nic grinned.

“That’s easy it will go on the far corner. There is enough room to put a lovely seat there so I can sit under it when I'm pregnant." Nic said then put her hand over her mouth.

“You are planning on that straight away?” Ella asked with a chuckle. “I’m not quite sure how Roman will take the news.”

Nic grinned.

“About the same way when you tell him you don’t want that one to be an only child.” Nic told her pointing to the bump.

Ella laughed.

“How did you know?” she asked grinning. “And this one has you and Mike.”

“No offence Step-mama, Mike and I will love this baby to bits but we won’t be growing up with him or her and that is what you want isn’t it? The same thing you had with your brother.”

Ella nodded, too emotional to speak for a moment.

Nic came over and held her for a long moment.

“I love you Step-mama.” She said softly.

Ella nodded.

“I love you too Daughter.” She murmured.

She paused and placed a hand on her belly.

“Bump kicking?” Nic asked.

Ella nodded and watched the look on Nic’s face as she placed a hand on her belly.

“Does it hurt?” she asked.

Ella shook her head.

“Its like a little flutter.” She said. “I’m told it will get stronger.”

Nic grinned.

“I can’t wait for mine.” She said softly a dreamy look on her face. “Mine and Geoff’s baby.”

She looked at Ella.

“Ddi you ever think about having a baby with anyone else?” Nic asked. “I know that is personal.”

Ella grinned and ushered Nic out to the car.

“No I didn’t. “ she confided in the girl. “I was with Christopher for a long time but it didn’t seem the right time or we weren’t in a good place or just plain too busy with other things. And I have to say the thought of carrying his baby never crossed my mind.”

They set off for Yabbie creek and she looked over at Nic.

“Why do you ask?”

“Geoff and I had a pregnancy scare a long time ago. And ever since then I have been paranoid about birth control. At the back of my mind I don’t think I wanted anyone else’s baby.” Nic grinned.

They pulled up outside the second hand furniture store and went inside.

“Now make a note of what you want and we’ll haggle.” Ella said grinning.

Aden walked into the diner to meet with Geoff.

“Bible boy we need to talk.” He said.

“What’s the matter?” Geoff asked.

“Well I seem to have an interesting tattoo.” Aden began. “Every time Belle sees it she laughs. And as you can imagine the times I’m naked around her the sound of her laughing is actually the last thing I need to hear right then.”

Geoff blushed as he realised what Aden was referring to and tried to cover it up by taking a sip of coffee.

“You decided you wanted it.” Geoff said eventually.

“Uh huh. Well from what I remember you…”

“Shut up.” Geoff hissed. “It didn’t happen.” He said.

Aden laughed.

“And if you tell anyone I’ll tell them were you got the tattoo and what it says.” Geoff bargained.

“Deal. We never talk about it again.” Aden said finally.

“I do have one piece of news.” Geoff grinned. “You know that blonde.” He said.

“The one Roman was …”

“Yes.” Geoff interrupted looking over Aden’s shoulder and seeing Colleen cleaning a nearby table very very slowly.

“That’s it exactly you do know her. It was Ella in a wig.”

Aden chuckled.

“She is a ..” he trailed off. “I don’t have words to describe her.”

Geoff chuckled.

“I’m sure Nic and Belle will learn a few things from her.”

“I hope so.” Aden said his mind back on the scene in the club and he blushed.

Geoff laughed.

“So are you all set for the big day?” Aden asked.

Geoff nodded.

He reached into his pocked and pulled out a jewellery box and handed it to Aden.

“I believe youa re now responsible for these.”

Aden opened the box and looked at the wedding rings. Nic’s was a platinum band with diamond chips in.

“Wow they pay you too much.” Aden said.

Geoff laughed.

“I’ve been saving for a good many years. I don’t spend a lot really and Nic is worth it. “

Aden nodded.

“Now, I have to do my brother speech. If you hurt her I will stand back and let Roman deal with you. But as your brother I will hide behind you while Roman deals with you. Either way, I’m pretty sure you will die or be in hospital.” Aden said. “But if you are in hospital I will visit you.”

“Are you sure I mean Roman is getting on a bit and I can run really fast.” Geoff said softly.

“I’m getting on a bit am I?” Roman said from behind him.

“Aden as best man I expected you to warn me about surprises.” Geoff told him.

Roman and Aden laughed.

“There is something else.” Geoff said. “Your best man gift.”

Geoff grinned as he pulled out a gift box and handed it to Aden.

Aden looked at him.

“Geoff.” He said emotionally, before grinning to try and cover it up.

He opened the box to see a designer watch.

“Are you sure you can afford this?” Aden gasped. “It’s too much.”

Geoff grinned.

“I told you we had money put aside for certain things. And Nic and I want you to have this. It’s engraved.”

Aden took it out and looked at the back.

“To Aden Jefferies The best brother Love Nic and Geoff.”

“I am so chuffed.” Aden gasped.

“There is more.” Roman said grinning.

He handed Geoff and Aden small gift bags.

Aden looked at the gift label.

“To my son Aden from Roman.” He grinned “Ok I’m going to cry like a girl in a minute.” He added.

He opened the bag and pulled out another jewellery box and opened it. Inside was a pair of silver cufflinks.

“For the dress shirts I wasn’t sure if you had any.” Roman explained. “Nic chose them so blame her if you don’t like them.”

Aden shook his head unable to speak.

Roman put his hand on the younger mans shoulder.

Geoff looked at his and read out the gift label.

“To my future son Geoff from Roman.” Geoff looked at his gift. “Ok that’s it we need to go do something involving testosterone.” Geoff said.

Roman chuckled.

The two men stood up.

Aden held out his ahdn to Roman who ignored it and gave him a hug. He did the same for Geoff and watched as they both left.

After a minute Aden walked back in and picked up the box with the wedding rings in.

“Oops.” He said with a smirk and turned around to rejoin a laughing Geoff.

Roman walked into the house and saw Ella standing on a chair painting. He groaned and walked over to lift her off. He took the roller out of her hands and grinned at her.

“No.” he said. “And don’t argue.”

“Roman. It was fine.” She protested. “I’ve been taking care.”

“On a chair. What happened if you had a dizzy spell.” He grimaced at her.

“Fine.” She said.

He dipped the roller and started painted the wall not catching the wink that Ella gave Nic who grinned back at her.

After a time Roman looked around the room.

“For two people painting you don’t seem to have done much.” He said softly. “In fact you only got one wall done.”

He looked at Ella who was smiling.

“See I told you I was taking care.” She grinned at him.

“You only got on the chair when I arrived didn’t you?” he said with a groan.

She nodded.

He leaned over and kissed her.

“It is a good job I love you.”

“Funny you should mention that because I have something to tell you.” She said biting her lip.

Roman put down the roller and folded his arms across his chest.

“Yes?” he said raising an eyebrow.

“It’s about Nic’s mum.” She began.

Roman didn’t say anything but looked over at Nic.

“I’ve sort of made arrangements for her to be here for the wedding.” Ella said in a rush.

“Is that what you want Nic?” Roman said.

Nic nodded nervously.

“Ok then. When does she get here?” he asked.

“Thursday.” Ella said. “I’ve booked her into the Sands to stay.”

Roman nodded.

“You don’t mind Dad?” Nic asked him.

Roman shook his head.

“No Darling, its your day if you want Natalie there then she should be.” He said softly.

Nic felt herself getting weepy again. She looked at Ella.

“What do you think with what we’ve done?” Ella asked him changing the subject.

Roman looked at the pale cream settee, still wrapped in plastic covering, the bookcase and the boxed TV. Well he assumed it was a TV from the picture on the box.

“I am impressed. I’ve got the things you asked for in the car Nic. Do you want to show me where you want them?” Roman asked.

Nic nodded.

“Upstairs. Isn’t Geoff coming to help?” she asked.

“Yes.“ Geoff said from the doorway.

He walked over and kissed Nic.

“Well if you give my dad a hand with setting up my sowing stuff in the little bedroom I can make a start on the curtains.” She murmured.

She looked at him from under her lashes and took hold of his hand and gave it a squeeze.

Geoff grinned at her.

“Nic I think the place is looking great.” Geoff said.

“Thank you Geoff and thank you for the wedding present. I didn’t spend all the money.” She said softly.

She walked over to her handbag and pulled out a savings book in their joint names. She handed it to him.

“I got the bare minimum and Ella helped haggle so there is some left.” She grinned. “I thought we could put it towards that project we plan to start working on when we get married.” She said in code hoping Geoff would understand.

He grinned at her and nodded.

She chuckled and lent over to give him another kiss.

Ella grinned over at them and went into the kitchen to make some drinks for them all. She heard Geoff and Roman bringing Nic large drawing board in.

Nic came in behind her and took one of the cups of coffee.

“Thank you Ella.” She said.

“You’re welcome.” Ella told her and pulled the kitchen blind down so that Geoff wouldn’t notice that they had cleared most of the garden and planted a very special tree. Many years before Geoff had handed Nic a cutting from a tree at the farm where he had grown up. She had nurtured this and it had grown in a pot. Her dad had been ordered to take care of it when she went away on pain of death or dismemberment or both.

“Good thinking.” Nic said grinning.

“So we’re picking up Mike tomorrow. Your Mum arrives Thursday. Yannis will be here on Friday. He wants to take some informal shots of everybody as well as the wedding photos.” Ella said.

Nic nodded.

“Laura will be bringing the flowers and everything over early Saturday morning. she'll be collecting the candles and the ribbons to change the floral displays at the church. The cake is being delivered to the hotel on Friday. Colleen is bringing her section to the house on Saturday. The dresses are finished. Place cards are all done. Wedding favours done. Everything is ready. Annie and Ruby will be comeing over to get changed Sturday morning, and Belle willl be bringing Amy-Belle and Brett over too. The cars are booked to take us to the Church.” She said with a grin. “I’m sure I’ve forgotten something though.”

Ella laughed.

“See, you should have done it my way and just pitched up at a registry office.” Ella said. “Much less work.”

Nic chuckled.

“Maybe next time.” she said.

“Next time Princess?” Geoff asked. “You mean when we have a blessing on our 50th wedding anniversary?”

Nic laughed happily.

“Now there is a thought.” She moved into Geoff’s embrace and kissed him. “I never thought I could be this happy.” She told him.

He looked down on her and smiled.

“I knew I could be as long as I had you.” He told her.

“Ah that is sweet but we still have stuff to do.” Roman interrupted.

“You have no romance in your soul Roman Harris.” Ella told him.

She handed him a coffee and he put his arm around her.

“I do. Would you like to get married again in a big meringue dress with Harry and everyone.” He murmured to her.

Without looking she could see that Nic’s eyes had lit up.

“NO!” she exclaimed.

Nic laughed.

“You seriously don’t want a wedding.” She asked Ella.

Ella shook her head.

“No I have everything I want right here. No need to do anything more I’ve made my commitment.” She said. “A different dress would have been nice but for me the dress isn’t the important thing it was saying those words.”

“I did see the dress you were eyeing up in that boutique we went to.” Nic grinned at her.

Ella laughed.

She looked at Roman and he smiled back at her.

“Why don’t you think about it.” he suggested.

She shook her head but grinned at him.

“Back to work everyone otherwise we’ll never get Nic to move out.” Ella said bossily.

“You can go off people step mama!” Nic said.

Ella laughed at her.

“I hope you realise we bought you a house within walking distance of ours.” She pointed out.

Nic smiled.

“I did notice that and thank you.” Nic said. “It means when we run out of food we can come to yours.”

Ella nodded.

“I don’t care your Dad pays for the food. Just don’t touch…”

“Yes, we know, your Vodka.” Geoff and Nic said together, having had to sit thought a very long lecture about it.

“I’m glad you’re learning.” Ella said with a grin.

Geoff and Nic chuckled.

Ella grinned at Mike as he looked round the shop. He wanted to buy Nic and Geoff a wedding present and came up with a state of the art DVD player. She let him pay for it with money from his trust fund. They he said he wanted to get a personal present for her as part of her something old, something new bit and was looking at earrings. Finally he pointed to a pair of studs.

“I know they are a bit more expensive than I was looking for but can I get her those?” he said.

Ella grinned looking at the diamond studs.

“Yes.” She said. “But.” She added. “It means that next months money won’t be as much.” The interest form his trust fund was paid to him as an allowance.

Mike nodded at her and pulled out his wallet. He opened it up and handed his Mum some money.

“I’ve been putting a bit aside from my allowance.” He confessed. “He handed her the money so she would put it back into his account.

She hugged him.

“Well let’s get them.” she said. “And then I suppose we should go home.”

“Did you get her anything?”

“I’m giving her something borrowed. “Ella told him softly. “Your mums cross. When you get married I will give it to your wife.” She looked at him. “Or civil marriage partner. Whichever.”

Mike looked at her.

“Wife. Definitely wife.” He said. “Not that I’m ever getting married its too yucky you have to kiss all the time.”

She grinned at him as they made their way to the till.

“You don’t have to its just nice.” She told him.

“Yes madam.” The assistant said.

“I would like to buy those diamond earrings.” Mike told her causing the assistant to do a double take.

“Certainly. You are aware how expensive they are?” she double-checked he understood.

Mike nodded and pulled out his debit card.

The assistant nodded and gift-wrapped them, putting the purchase through on Mike’s card.

She handed it back to him with the receipt and the gift back. They went outside and walked up the street to meet with Roman.

“Hey.” She said.

He was looking in the window of an antique shop.

“What you looking for?” she asked him.

Roman looked at them.

“Ok she has something blue in her bouquet, something new that Mike has bought her. The something borrowed that you’ve got her. I think that leaves something old.” Roman said.

“You will be walking her down the aisle and you are old.” Mike said to him grinning.

Roman looked at him.

“You are not too big for a spanking you know.” He said and caught Ella trying not to laugh.

“Or you.” He groaned.

“I’m sorry but that was pretty funny.” Ella leaned over and kissed him.

They went inside the store and started looking around.

Ella went to the textile section and was looking through a box of old material. Roman grinned at her as she picked up a baby’s cardigan and looked at it. She put it down but couldn’t resist stroking it.

“Nesting?” he asked her.

She grinned at him.

“Maybe.”

He chuckled.

“Would it hurt to buy one thing?” he asked.

She looked at him. He picked up the cardigan seeing that it was hand knitted. Tiny buttons down the front and ribbon tie in the centre. As he looked at it he caught sight of a lace handkerchief in the same box. The lace had turned to a cream colour with age but it was still pretty in a girlie way he supposed.

He took both items to the counter and paid for them.

“Are we done shopping?” he asked them

Ella nodded.

“I’m actually feeling tired. Why don’t’ you drop me off at home and go to the diner?” she suggested.

Roman looked at Mike and saw him nod.

He grinned.

“Ok.” he said.

She handed him the car keys and he drove them home. They unloaded the car and Mike put the gift wrapped DVD on the table. He then handed his mum the other gift for safekeeping. She smiled at him.

Roman handed over his packages and watched as she took out the cardigan. And held it to her.

She could still hear his chuckle as they went out to the dinner.

Ella climbed up to bed and fell asleep as soon as her head touched the pillow.

Mike and roman walked into the diner. He immediately saw Natalie sitting at a table and was torn between ignoring her and sitting with her. He decided to walk over and say hello.

“Natalie.” he said.

“Roman.” She said standing. She offered him her cheek and he awkwardly pressed a kiss on it.

“This is my son Mike.” He introduced.

“Your son?” she asked arching a brow at the statement.

He nodded.

Mike sat down on the spare seat and left Roman no choice but to sit there too.

“I’m sorry we haven’t been introduced. I’m Roman Michael Harris, but people call me Mike.” He said to her. “And you must be Nic’s real Mum.”

Roman hid a grin by picking up the menu and handing it to Mike.

“Real Mum?” Natalie questioned, before pouncing on the Roman bit. ”He’s called Roman?” she asked.

“Yes, he was named after me.” Roman chuckled and caught Mike grinning.

“What can I get you Darl?” Irene came over and asked.

“Can I get a shake and burger please Irene?” Mike asked her.

Irene grinned.

“Sure thing. Roman?” she asked.

“Just a coffee for me Irene but can I get a banana shake to go.”

Irene chuckled.

“Everything sorted for tomorrow?” she asked. “Geoff is a bundle of nerves.”

“Nic is the same she’s at the house now making curtains to give her something to do.” Roman said.

Natalie looked up.

“House?” she asked.

“Yes, we bought them a house for a wedding present.” Roman said eventually.

“My word.” Natalie said.

Irene looked at Mike who was grinning and disappeared into the kitchen to do the order. She bought part of it out minutes later.

“So what is Nic doing tonight?” Natalie asked.

“I don’t know actually. I think we are keeping it low key tonight.” Roman said. “You could phone her and ask her.”

Natalie shrugged.

“I wondered if she would like to go out for a drink with me.” She said softly.

“Ask her Nat.” Roman said.

“Or you could come to ours for a drink?” Mike piped up. “Mum wouldn’t mind.”

Roman grinned at Mike.

“Why don’t you come over. I’m sure Ella would be ok with it. We will probably grab some takeaway……”

Mike interrupted Roman.

“Pizza.” He said

“Well yes. And some drinks. I don’t know if Annie will be there but you’ll meet Ruby, one of her bridesmaids.” Roman concluded.

Natalie looked down for a moment and grinned.

“I would like that very much. What time?” she asked.

“About 8ish.” Roman suggested.

Natalie nodded.

“Now I need to work on my tan.” She grinned. “I’ll see you alter.” She walked out of the diner.

Irene came over to the table.

“Is she coming back?” she asked him.

Roman shrugged.

“I don’t think so.” He said. “Why?”

“Well she forgot to pay.” Irene looked at him.

“I’ll sort it Irene. Just put it on my tab.” He smiled at the other woman.

She came back a moment later and brought out the burger.

“Just how you like it.” she said to Mike.

“Thanks Irene you are the best.” Mike grinned at her and took a big bite.

“You know I’m going to leave it to you to explain why Natalie is coming over tonight don’t you?”

Roman told him.

Mike nodded his mouth too full of burger for him to speak.

Roman grinned at him.

After Mike had finished eating he collected the shake for Ella and they went home. Ella was still asleep so they left the shake in the fridge and decided to take the wedding present over to Nic’s place. Roman grinned as he thought of the house as Nic’s place for the first time.

He knocked before walking in.

The lounge was now decorated in a soft blue. Nic had made curtains in a dark blue cord and hung them and the TV was set up in the corner next to the bookcase. She had put out some photos in frames and scattered some magazines on it. He saw that she had placed her bible too and grinned.

In the corner was an overturned Tea chest serving as s table. Her bedside lamp was on there, along with one of the glass dishes from one of the sets Ella had given them. It was filled with Potpourri.

He noted that the settee still had the plastic cover on and his smile got broader.

“Dad?” Nic called out coming down the stairs. “Did you knock?” she added.

He nodded.

“I did.” He confirmed.

“Why?” She muttered.

She placed a couple of huge cushions on the floor that she’d made out of the same material she’d used on the curtains.

“Well my daughter is about to be married and I wanted to get into the habit of giving her some warning when I come round.”

Nic blushed a fiery red colour.

“Er… thanks.” She said eventually. She turned to Mike. ”What is that?” she asked suspiciously looking at the gift wrapped box.

“I think it is a wedding present.” Mike told her.

“Mike seriously you didn’t have to.” Nic said. “Oh, god that wasn’t very gracious was it. Mike I’m gong to cry if you start being too nice too me.”

Mike chuckled.

“Don’t worry it won’t last.” He said.

“We’ve invited your mother round tonight. She wanted to take you out for a drink so if you want to do that instead you should give her a call.” Roman told her gently. “Are the girls there tonight?”

Nic nodded.

“We are trying on dresses tonight and checking everything is ok before tomorrow.” She said.

“I thought takeaway, a bottle of champagne or two and an early night.” Roman grinned at her.

She smiled.

“That sounds ok.” she muttered.

“Don’t worry Sis I’ll sort her out for you.” Mike told her. “I’ll be obnoxious so she leaves just give me the signal.”

Nic laughed.

“I don’t think he’s joking he introduced himself to her a Roman Harris.” Roman senior said softly.

Nic chuckled.

“I wish I’d seen that.” She said.

Mike put the box on the shelf.

“Do I get a tour?” he asked.

Nic grinned.

“Come on then.” She said.

She turned to her dad.

“I’ll bring him home in a bit if you want to shoot off.”

Roman chuckled.

“I’ll see you later.” He said.

He walked home and got the milkshake out of the fridge and took it up to Ella.

“Hey.” He said softly.

She stirred and pushed her hair out of her eyes.

“Hey.” She said to him and smiled. “What’s that?” she asked.

“Your milkshake.” He grinned at her.

She sat up arranging the pillows behind her.

“Thank you.” She grinned.

He sat next to her and put his arm around her.

“Your son has invited Natalie round tonight.” He said to her. He told her the story of running into her at the diner.

“My son is a little trouble maker.” She said.

“Uh huh.” Roman grinned. “I wonder where he got it from.”

She grinned at him and leaned over and kissed him.

He put his other arm round her and kissed her back long and hard. She pulled back and yawned.

“Still tired?” he asked.

She nodded.

“I know we haven’t tested the bed yet but I am so exhausted.” She told him.

He smiled and watched as she snuggled down again. He curled up next to her and held her as she went to sleep.

He kissed her softly and stood up checking on his suit and tie for the morning. He knew that he still needed to work on his father of the bride speech so he went downstairs with it and started reworking it.

Ruby and Annie sat on the sofa next to Nic. They had tried on their dresses and shoes and none of them needed alteration. Roman poured them another glass of Champagne and sat on the other sofa waiting for Ella and Mike to join them. They came down moments later and nodded to Roman. He grinned.

Ella walked over to him and sat down.

“Have you got your something old etc?” Ella asked.

Nic gasped.

“No” she muttered.

“Well here is your something borrowed.” She said to her and handed over the gold cross.

Nic gasped again looking in the jewellery box.

“It belonged to my mum she gave it to Ella when she went overseas.” Mike told her.

“Thank you.” Nic whispered, unable to talk any louder.

“And you’ve got your flowers in your bouquet so that is your something blue.” Ruby told her.

“Well my dress is new.” She said with a shrug.

Mike grinned and looked at his mum seeing her nod.

“I suppose it could be your something new but I thought you would like these.” He gave her the gift-wrapped box.

She opened it with shaking hands and gasped when she saw the earrings.

“Mike you shouldn’t have.” She said, openly crying.

Nic turned to Ruby and Annie.

“I have diamond earrings.” She said, tears pouring down her face.

Ruby chuckled.

“Nic.” Her dad said.

She looked at him.

“I’m a lot poorer than him but I got you your something old.” He gave her the handkerchief.

She fingered the lace and grinned.

“It is beautiful. Thank you all.” She said.

“Hold your horse Mrs.” Annie said.

“Yeah, we got you a little something too.” Ruby added.

Nic had to wipe more tears away.

Annie had over a gift box.

Nic opened it and saw silk stockings.

“Wow!” she exclaimed.

“There is more.” Ruby grinned and handed over her gift.

Nic opened it and chuckled looking at the lacy garter with the blue ribbon on it.

She tried to open her mouth to thank everyone but couldn’t.

“Is that my daughter speechless?” Roman asked.

She nodded.

“I’m sorry.” She said wiping more tears away. “I just really don’t know what I did to deserve all this special treatment I used to be a b*tch.”

Ruby and Annie laughed.

“Used to be I think is the operative word.” Ella said to her.

She nodded.

“Well I can give something back. Ruby, Geoff and I have been talking and we have a spare room. Would you like to stay with us?” Nic said.

Ruby grinned.

“I’ve been having a chat with a few people too.. Annie and I are going to go stay at Ella’s studio for a while. We are going to go back to college.”

“Really?” Nic asked.

Annie nodded.

“Migual has got me a job interview as a receptionist at the hotel where he works, although I think someone else may have helped.” Annie said looking at Ella who didn’t say anything but grinned.

“That is so cool.” Nic told them.

Ruby grinned.

Roman topped up their glasses and he gave Ella a glass of Orange juice before giving a glass to Mike. He looked at Ella who grinned and nodded and he poured some champagne into Mike’s orange juice.

Mike grinned.

“I think we need a toast.” Roman said. “To my multiple daughters may their new lives be happy.” He said.

Annie, Ruby and Nic drank and grinned.

“Does this mean we get an allowance?” Annie asked.

“No.” Roman said.

He turned at the knock at the door and went to open it.

“Hello.” Natalie said.

“Mum.” Nic called out standing up. “We thought you weren’t coming its late.”

Natalie smiled.

“I had a bit of car trouble but everything is alright now. Could you pay the taxi for me?” she asked Roman.

He smiled and went outside to deal with the irate driver.

Ella stood and went over to Natalie.

“Hey there, come on in. I’m Ella.” She put her arm around Natalie and led her over to the sofa. “You’ve already met my brat of a son.” She said with a grin. “Well these two lovely girls are Annie and ruby and they are Nic’s best friends.”

She sat Natalie down.

“Mike can you make Natalie a coffee please.” She asked.

Mike nodded.

She turned to Nic.

“How about ordering the pizza?” she suggested. “Girls why don’t you give her a hand choosing them?” she said to Annie and Ruby.

They got up and went into the kitchen.

“Hey, you are cold.” She said to Natalie and wrapped the throw around her.

“Thanks.” Natalie said.

Roman came back in and closed the door. He was carrying Natalies handbag and he put it on the table behind the door.

“Nat?” he said softly seeing that she was now crying.

“I couldn’t afford the taxi let alone something for my daughter’s wedding.” She sobbed.

Ella smiled softly and put her arms around the other woman.

“It doesn’t matter. It only matters that you are here for her now.” She told her.

Mike came in with a tray that he placed in front of her. It had the pot of coffee, milk jug and sugar and a cup and saucer.

Ella grinned at him.

“How do you like your coffee?” Mike asked her kneeling on the floor next to them.

Natalie looked up and wiped her eyes.

“White no sugar.” She told him.

He poured it for her and handed her the cup.

“Thank you Mike.” She said.

He smiled and lifted all of Nic’s presents up carrying them up the stairs to her bedroom.

“Where is my bag?” Natalie asked after a moment.

“Here.” Roman told her.

She nodded and held up her hand for it, he walked over to her and gave her the bag.

Nic and the girls came back into the room.

“Nicole.” Natalie began. “I have a present for you. It isn’t much.” She told her.

Nic sat down slowly and waited. Natalie pulled out a small photo album and handed it over.

Nic grinned when she opened it.

“Wow, is that you Nic?” Annie asked.

She nodded.

“I have one for you too Roman.” She gave him a duplicate photo album.

He opened it and saw baby pictures of Nic.

“Natalie.” He said softly.

“Don’t say anything Roman I should have done this a long time ago.” She grimaced.

“Hey,” Ella began. “It’s done now.” She rubbed the other woman’s back slowly.

Natalie looked at her, finding the gentle touch soothing.

“I have to say that I hate you Ella you are as nice as Nic said you were.”

Ella chuckled aloud even as Nic gasped in horror.

“I’m sure I have my moments.” She said. “Mike why don’t you put on a movie for us to watch.” She suggested.

“Ok.” he said. “I think we have My Best Friends Wedding or My Big Fat Greek Wedding. I know how about Runaway…”

“No!” Ella and Nic exclaimed as everyone laughed.

“Behave yourself young man.” Ella grinned at him.

He chuckled and put on a movie.

Ella woke slowly hearing the excited girls in the next room. She got up equally as slowly and made her way to the bathroom, feeling an ache low in her back. She tried to ignore it as she got under the shower. She felt a strange feeling low in her belly and moaned. Climbing out of the shower she bent double as the first cramp struck her.

“No, not today.” She gasped. “Please not today.”

She got as far as the hallway when she collapsed in pain and screamed for Roman.

He came running up the stairs and paled when he saw her on the floor. He carried her onto the bed and Nic came rushing out of her room wearing her wedding dress.

“Dad?” she asked slowly.

“Sit with her Nic.” He said.

He walked over to the dresser and phoned for an ambulance.

“Please step mama.” Nic said stroking her hair. “Not today. You don’t want to ruin my wedding now do you?” Nic started crying.

Ella rolled herself into a ball as another cramp went through her.

“Sorry Nic.” She said through her teeth. “You need to get married without me there I think.”

Nic shook her head.

“No chance Mama.” She said.

Her teeth started chattering.

“Nic please.”

Nic shook her head, her carefully styled hair falling around her face.

She held Ella’s hand.

“We’ll have to have the wedding another day that’s all.” She said.

They heard the ambulance arrive and the paramedics came in.

“She’s 14 weeks pregnant. We think she’s losing the baby.” he said, feeling a wave of pain wash over him.

She was placed on a stretcher and taken out to the waiting ambulance. Roman climbed in the back of the ambulance with her. They sped off and Nic moaned again when she heard the sirens come on.

She turned to Annie and Ruby.

“We need to cancel everything. I have to see Geoff. I don’t know what to do.” She started crying again.

Looking up she saw Mike and opened her arms to him. He ran over to her and she held him.

“She is going to be ok.” Nic promised.

She looked at Annie and saw she was crying. Ruby took her in her arms too and they stood there for a while trying to pull themselves together.

“Right. I’ll let the church know.” Annie said wiping her eyes.

“I’ll tackle the hotel.” Ruby said.

“I’ll talk to Harry and sort the catering.” Mike said wiping his eyes. “I’ll give Yannis a call too.”

“Tell Harry to deliver the food to homeless shelters or something. Somebody should get something out of today.”

She jumped when her phone rang.

“Hello?” she said.

“Nic.” Geoff said.

“You heard?” she asked puzzled, wondering how he could know so soon. She walked into the kitchen and then saw the cake box from Colleen. She groaned.

“I’m sorry Nic.” Geoff said.

“Me too Geoff.” She said sadly to him. “But we’ll find another day.”

“No.” he interrupted. “I’m sorry I can’t do it. Nic it isn’t you. You are wonderful but I can’t marry you.”

“Geoff, I don’t understand. Where are you? Let’s talk.” She said.

“Nic, Colleen said that you accused Ella of ruining your day.” He told her.

“Well that is true but I was joking because Ella needed me to.” Nic gasped feeling tears fall down her face. “She wants us to still get married today."

“I know you wouldn’t say anything mean Nic, not to Ella.”

“Then why Geoff I don’t understand this. We love each other.” She moaned, feeling pain wash over her.

“Because of me. I don’t know how to tell you but for a time today after I heard what Colleen said about you I was my old judgmental self. I got mad at you for saying that. For a moment I was mad adn I ahted myself. You’ve been so worried about being your old self I never gave a thought to what I’m like and I can’t be the man you want me to be. I am so sorry, Nic.” He sighed.

“But that’s…” she glanced at her phone display and saw that he had hung up on her.

She looked up and saw that Aden was at the door.

“I’m sorry Princess.” He said.

She cried out and started sobbing falling to the floor. They tried to comfort her but she pushed them away. They left her alone while they sorted out the rest of the wedding. Eventually Mike came over to her and put his hand out. She looked at him and put her hand out. They held hands for a time.

“Nic. You’ve been here an hour. I need you to take me to the hospital so I can see Mum.” He said to her.

She nodded and stood up. Nic looked at everyone.

“Is it done?” she asked. “Is it cancelled?”

Ruby nodded.

Nic looked down and then grabbed her car keys.

“Nic, don’t you think you should get changed.” Annie said.

Nic shook her head.

“No today is my wedding day and I want to wear my dress.” She said. “It is the only wedding dress I’ll ever wear.”

She looked at her finger and pulled off her engagement ring. Turning to Aden she gave it to him.

“Tell Geoff I’ll be waiting for him” she said quietly. “When he is ready.”

Annie gasped and started crying again.

“Mike?” Nic asked.

Mike walked out with her and they drove off.

“Where is he Aden?” Annie asked.

Aden shrugged.

“I really don’t know.” He said.

“We should get changed and start letting everyone know.” Ruby suggested.

Annie nodded.

Aden let himself out and went to see if he could find Geoff.

Nic saw her Dad first, he was sitting in the corridor and had his head in his hands.

“Dad?” Nic asked.

He looked up and wiped tears form his face.

“Nic.” He said quietly. “Mike.”

“Is she…” Nic tried to ask but couldn’t force the words from her suddenly dry throat.

“She lost the baby and started bleeding. They are trying to stop it now.” He said.

He took hold of Nic’s hand and put his other arm around Mike and they waited.

An hour passed and Roman could feel his nerves screaming. He wanted tog et up and pace but Nic had put her head in his lap and had fallen asleep.

Mike was waiting the other side of him and he was surprised by how grown up he was one minute and how young he seemed now.

“Do you want em to fetch you a coffee?” Mike asked softly.

Roman nodded.

“Yes please.” He said quietly.

Mike stood up and wondered down the corridor.

“Geoff has left me.” Nic said.

“Oh God Nicole.” Roman gasped.

She sat up and the jacket he’d placed over her shoulders slipped to the floor. It took her a moment to notice. She bent down and picked it up putting it on.

“He said that he was his old self and I deserved more. Daddy, I love him. I loved his old self too. How could he not be here for me?” she asked.

Roman took her in his arms and held her as she cried.

Rachel came out of the room and walked over to them.

Roman looked up first followed by Nic and Mike.

“Ella is ok. We’ve stopped the bleeding. She’s resting right now but you’ll be able to see her soon.” Rachel looked at Nic. “I’m sorry Nic.” She added, taking in the fresh tearstains and the dress.

“Thank you.” Roman said.

Nic sat up straighter and looked in the corridor. She stood and walked slowly towards Geoff.

Without thinking about it she lifted her hand and slapped him.

“I love you. You. You stupid man. I loved the old you and this you.” She moaned. “How could you do this to us? How could you?” she fell to the floor.

Geoff knelt down with her.

“I’m sorry.” He said. ”I am sorry.”

Mike came over to them.

“He’s been here for hours Nic. He’s been here for you.” Mike told her. “He just didn’t know if he would hurt you more by coming to you. But he didn’t want you to be alone.”

Nic moaned afresh.

“No. You chose the cowards way out.” She said thinking only about her pain at that moment. “I think you should leave.”

She stood up and after a moment he stood up too. He looked at her and leaned forward he kissed her.

“I am sorry. You look beautiful. I love you.” He said and sighed as he turned around and walked away.

“Let him go, Nic. Give yourselves some space. In a few days sit down and talk.” Roman told her. “You need to give yourself some time to calm down.”

She looked at him and nodded.

They turned and saw Rachel standing in the doorway to Ella’s room.

Roman moved quickly.

“She’s asking for you.” Rachel confirmed.

He nodded and went into the room.

Rachel shut the door behind him.

“Hey.” She said softly.

“Hey.” He told her.

She lifted her hand and he moved to the side of the bed and sat on the chair. He took her hand in his and held it tight.

“I’m sorry I lost our baby.” She told him.

His head shot up.

“Oh Ella.” He moaned.

He stood up and climbed onto the bed beside her, being careful not to jostle her. He put his arms around her feeling tears come to his eyes again.

“You have nothing o be sorry for. It wasn’t your fault. You took care of our baby for so long.” He said.

He felt her shudder as she began to sob and he was unable to hold back his own tears.

Nic and Mike sat back down. She held his hand in her own.

“He was right Nic, you do look beautiful. Even with the red nose and mascara streaks.”

Mike said to her.

She groaned.

“Stay here.” she said and went to wash her face.

Mike stood and walked over to look out of the window.

She came back and saw him standing and looking out of the window. She went up to him.

“Mike?” she asked.

“She lost a baby a long time ago before I was born. She thinks I don’t know but I worked it out. She gets sad around five months after my birthday and she would cry. It’s the only time I ever see her cry really. Every year.”

Nic started crying again.

Mike turned towards.

“I worked out that it would have been when her baby was born. I wasn’t that smart though, I didn’t put it together until after I found that one year she had been looking at a scan of a baby.” He shrugged. “So I love her even more Nic, because she never told me, never made me feel guilty that she had to take care of me and not her baby.”

Nic gasped and pulled Mike into her arms.

“She loves you” Nic told him. “If she could do it all over again she wouldn’t change anything.”

Mike nodded.

“I just don’t know if I can see her so upset.” He said. “I don’t know if I can say the right things. I don’t want her to comfort me.”

Nic nodded.

“I know.” She said

They clung to each other and cried.

Roman came out after a while and saw them there.

“Mike you can go in and see her.” he told him.

Nic squeezed his hand and he walked into the room.

“I’m not going to tell her Dad.” She said as soon as Mike went into the room.

He nodded.

“As soon as you’ve see her we are instructed to go home and get something to eat and some rest.”

“She giving orders already?” Nic asked.

Roman nodded with a half smile.

Nic looked up as Mike came out of her room and she squared her shoulders and walked in.

Roman opened his arms and Mike rushed into them.

“Promise me that you will forget I keep crying like a girl.” He said to him.

Roman nodded.

“As long as you never ever mention that you caught me crying too.”

Mike grinned, despite the fresh tears.

“I think we have a deal.” He said.

After a brief time Nic came out.

She’s asleep and I didn’t fool her for a minute.” Nic said.

“Don’t worry Sis, neither did I.” Mike told her.

They chuckled for a moment.

“Geoff are you sure about this?” Aden asked him for the fifth time.

Geoff nodded and walked out to his car. Aden and Brett came to see him off followed slowly by Belle who had Amy-Belle in her arms.

“Aden I messed up and I can’t stay around. I will be back in a few weeks.” He said without his former easy smile.

Aden nodded.

“You call us mate and tell us where you are.” Aden instructed.

Geoff grinned slowly.

“Yeah ok.” he said. “Thanks for the last few nights Aden. Putting up with me and well… “he trailed off.

“That’s what family does.” Belle said softly. “Take care Geoff. “

“Bye unc G.” Brett said to him.

“See you around B Boy.” Geoff replied.

He waved at them and climbed behind the wheel and drove off.

Amy-belle looked up and said.

“Anti Nic didn’t see me as a Princess.”

“No sweetheart.” Belle told her and kissed her cheek.

“Is that why Unc G cried last night.” Brett asked.

Aden looked over at Belle.

“Maybe.” Aden said. “Why don’t we go have a game of Mario Kart.” He suggested to his son.

Brett nodded excitedly.

“And what do you want to do young lady?” Belle asked her daughter.

“I wanna see Anti Nic and show her I would’ve been a pretty Princess because I don’t want her sad too.” Amy-Belle said.

“That’s nice sweetheart but I think it might not be a good time to go see her.” Belle said.

“Why?” Amy-belle asked quickly.

“Because they need to be alone.”

Amy-belle nodded.

“ok.” she lisped.

Belle took her in the house and she went upstairs on her own. Belle watched and then turned her attention to Brett and Aden playing.

Amy-belle came down after a few minutes dressed in her out she would have worn for the wedding.

“Amy–Belle.” Belle said softly.

“I wanna be alone with Anit Nic cuase she is sad like Unc G.” Amy-Belle said.

Aden shrugged.

“Might be good.” He said.

“But what about Ella?” she asked.

“Amy-belle isn’t a baby. She’s a little girl.” Aden said. “And if it gets too much bring her home.”

Amy-belle walked over to her daddy and kicked him.

“What was that for?” he said quickly.

“I is not a lil’ girl I is a princess.” She muttered folding her arms across her chest.

“Ok sorry.” He muttered quickly picking her up and giving her a cuddle.

Aden looked across at Belle who was trying not to giggle.

“Now that she gets from you.” He said to her.

“Right Amy-Belle come on we’ll go see Auntie Nic.” Belle told her.

“K.” she said.

Aden lowered her to the ground and she ran over to Belle.

“Did you do those bows by yourself?” Belle asked her daughter referring to the ribbon ties on the shoes.

Amy-belle nodded.

“I is grown up now.” She said.

“You are Princess.” Belle chuckled.

They got in the car and drove over to the house. Amy-belle climbed out of the car and ran to the door to knock on it, before Belle could.

Roman answered it and looked at Belle.

“Now really isn’t a good time.” he said softly.

“I have an insistent child here.” Belle tried to explain and looked down to where Amy-Belle had been standing only to find she was over by the settee next to Nic.

Nic woke slowly and opened her eyes.

“Anti Nic.” Amy-belle said. “Are you sad?” she asked her.

Nic sat up and pulled her dressing gown tighter around her.

“What?” she asked puzzled still more than half asleep. “Amy-Belle.” Nic said finally dragging herself into a sitting position.

“I didn’t want you sad like Unc G so I is wearing my princess dress.” Amy-belle told her and did a twirl.

Nic started crying again.

“See mummy I said she would be sad,” Amy-belle told her. “She needs cuddles like Unc G.” Amy-Belle declared and put her arms around Nic and held her.

Nic started sobbing and Ella came over to them. She had been lying on the other sofa.

“Hey Amy-belle what a lovely Princess you are.” She said softly. “Roman I think we could do with some drinks. Come on in Belle.” Ella called to her.

Belle half smiled and walked into the lounge.

Nic looked up finally and wiped her eyes.

“Unc G was sad?” she said hopefully.

Amy-belle nodded solemnly.

“He cried too.” She said.

Nic looked at Ella and chuckled.

“Hope.” Ella said softly.

Nic nodded.

Amy-belle stood back and looked at the box of chocolates on the table, her eyes lighting up.

“Mummy.” She said softly in the sweetest tone of voice.

Belle laughed at her daughter.

“I think they are only for the sad ladies in the room Amy-Belle.”

Amy-belle scrambled on the sofa next to Nic and pulled the cover over her legs.

“I’m sad too Mummy.” She said. “I needs chocolates. Unc G left and Nic sad.”

Nic’s eyes shot up to Belle who nodded slowly.

“Unc G has just gone for a little while Amy-Belle, because he didn’t want Nic to bump into him and be sadder.” Belle explained more for Nic’s benefit that Amy-belle’s.

Nic nodded to let Belle know she understood.

“Amy-belle would you like a chocolate?” Ella asked her.

Amy-belle’s eye lit up.

Ella took the box and put it on Amy-Belle’s lap to let her choose which one.

“Nic why don’t you go put some clothes on.” Ella suggested.

Nic nodded and gave Amy-belle a quick kiss on the top of her head.

“Don’t eat those ones they are my favouritest.” Nic told her.

Amy-belle nodded.

Nic stood up and went upstairs.

Ella sat back on the sofa with a grimace.

She patted the seat next to her and Belle sat down.

“What do you know?” she asked her.

“Ella I’m sorry.” Belle began and nodded towards Amy-belle.

“It’s ok. Well it’s not but it is.” Ella said.

“What can I get you to drink?” Roman asked.

“Coffee.” Ella answered immediately and heard him chuckle.

“Amy-Belle?” he bent down and asked her.

“Milkshake.” She said.

Roman and Ella looked quickly at each other.

Ella nodded sadly.

Belle took hold of Ella’s hand.

“I drank a lot of them when..” she trailed off and bit her lip.

“Can I get a coffee too Roman.” Belle asked and watched as he went into the kitchen.

Ella sniffed and pinned a smile on her face.

“Amy-belle do you want a Dvd on?” she asked her.

Amy-belle nodded a ring of chocolate around her mouth.

“They are over there if you want to choose one” Amy-belle struggled off the sofa and went over to the dvd’s making sure she held on to the chocolates.

“What can I say she is my daughter.” Belle chuckled before going over and helping her.

Roman brought the drinks through.

Ella caught hold of his hand and gave it a squeeze. He grinned at her.

Belle grimaced. And held up Amy-belle choice for inspection.

“I love that one.” Ella said smiling.

Roman sat down next to her and kissed the top of her head. She grinned at him and moved so he could put his arm around her. She winced slightly as she lent back on his arm. He flinched but she caught hold of his free hand and held it.

Nic came downstairs dressed in jeans and a t shirt She had taken a shower too but hadn’t done anything with her hair except pull it back into a band. She looked in horror at the tv.

“Finding Nemo.” She said. “Again?”

Belle looked at Ella who blushed.

“I like it ok.” she said defensively.

Amy-Belle and her Mum settled onto the sofa next to Nic.

Amy-belle handed over the chocolates. Everyone had been eaten except the one Nic said was her favourite. She grinned and kissed her.

“Step mama.” Nic said grabbed the remote and paused the film. “I think you should go get dressed too. And we should freshen up the house, open some windows.”

Roman chuckled at the look on Ella’s face.

“Ok.” she conceded after glaring at him.

She stood slowly and went upstairs.

Nic hit the play button and restarted the film.

“Don’t you want to wait for her?” Belle asked.

Roman cleared the table.

“She’s watched it like 50 times since she came home form the hospital.” He said.

“Amy-Belle do you want to help me make some cookies?” Roman tempted her.

Amy-belle looked at the movie and then her mum. She climbed off the sofa and followed him into the kitchen.

“Ok.” Nic began.

“He stayed with us for the past three days. He’s heartbroken Nic. He just doesn’t know how to talk to you without hurting you.”

Nic looked down and blinked back tears.

“He spent all night talking to Aden. He never doubted you Nic it was himself. He’s got this thing inside of him that tells him maybe he isn’t good enough for you.” Belle blurted and covered her mouth with her hand.

“Aden told you that and you weren’t supposed to tell me?” Nic asked.

Belle kept the hand over her mouth but she nodded.

“That’s why he does all the romantic stuff for me isn’t it?” Nic asked.

Belle nodded again.

“The idiot.” Nic groaned and started crying again.

“You still love him Nic?” Belle asked.

She nodded and dashed the tears from her cheeks.

“I need to do something romantic back.” She said suddenly. “And I need to speak to Aden.”

She pulled out her phone and texted him to get his butt over to hers.

Ella came downstairs, dressed for the first time since she came home. She left Belle and Nic together and went into the kitchen where she saw Amy-belle and Roman making cookies. Roman looked up and caught her in his arms as she began to cry.

“Are you sad too Ella?” Amy-belle asked.

Ella nodded.

Amy-belle went over to her and put her arms around her legs.

“Do we need Pizza?” Amy-Belle asked wisely.

Ella sank down to Amy-belle’s level.

“Ok, young lady, who’s been talking?” she asked.

Amy-belle smiled.

“Daddy said you were a Pizza queen. Thank makes Nic a princess cuz you are her Mummy.”

She said with her logic.

Nic came over to them and grinned.

“That’s right she’s my best Mummy.”

Ella tried to smile but more tears fell down her face.

Amy-Belle threw her arms around her neck and squeezed.

“Don’t be sad Ella.” She said stroking her hair.

“I’m sorry Amy-belle. I’m just sad because I wanted a little girl like you.” She tried to explain.

“I is sorry too.” Amy-belle said. “But when mummy isn’t around you can be my pretend mummy.” She told her.

Ella looked up and saw that Belle was crying too.

“Enough tears,” Ella said to them and looked at Roman. He smiled sadly at her. she smiled back bravely.

“Pizza?” Amy-belle asked hopefully.

Geoff looked at the text on his phone from Nic asking him what he wanted to do with the house. He looked out at the see in front of him, strangely landing himself in a small town that could be a mirror for Summer Bay and wanted to hurl his phone in the crashing waves.

He clicked it open and read the message again looking for something that wasn’t there. Like maybe she had forgiven him and he should come home.

He typed the response that the house was hers and she must do what she wanted with it. He put an x at the end of it and then erased the whole message.

“Ok.” he said to himself. “Think.”

He began to retype the message.

“Will be back soon. Can we talk?” he asked bravely.

“Yes.” She replied immediately.

He grinned and then tried to stop himself grinning. His phone beeped again.

“Am going away this weekend will you be back Saturday?”

He grinned and then re-read it.

“Where was she going?” he asked himself.

“Oh boy you are going nuts.” He said after a moment. He slid off the front of his car and walked along the beach.

“Not sure. How long will you be gone?” he typed.

“Months.” She replied and had the gull to add a smiley to it.

He groaned.

“Ok will be back Sat. Meet you at house?” he typed.

“No. At beach near surf club. 3pm.” She replied. “Got plans for later so need to make it pm.” She added and sent.

He opened the message and read it and a deep anger went through him.

“Plans?” he said. “Plans?” he said again.

He thought of her dating and felt so jealous that he wanted to scream. But then he reasoned she wouldn’t be thinking of dating if he had the guts to put his self-doubt to one side and marry her.

“What plans????” He put and deleted it. “Will be there.” He replied.

She texted him back.

“Thank you! See you Sat.”

He grinned again and then remembered her plans for a Saturday night. He sat on the beach looking out at the crashing waves for a long time.

Nic looked at Ella and grinned.

“It worked.” She said.

Turning back to Alf she grinned at him.

“So you can do it?” she said.

“Of course I can. Piece of cake compared to getting your Dad to lay the dance floor. I thought they were going to drink me out of beer.” He said to her.

She grinned and threw her arms around his neck.

They went to the diner next and spoke to Irene and Leah.

“No problem Darl.” Irene said to her. “Anything we can do to help we will.”

Nic nodded.

“I need another cake form Colleen. “ She said. “We ate the other one.”

Ella looked at the floor and blushed.

“Well when I say we I was using the term loosely.” Nic told them and grinned.

“You told me to get rid of it.” Ella defended eating the whole cake in one night.

Leah chuckled.

“I meant in the bin.” She said.

“I was very depressed that night.” She said slowly.

“Yes but you’d already eaten two pizzas.”

Ella looked down and then back up.

“Seriously I’m married to her father but you’d never guess we weren’t a couple would you? She nags me.”

“I do not. Well, maybe a little All right, so I do. But you need me Step-mama.” Nic said grinning. “Who else would borrow all those designer clothes of yours.”

“My other daughter Ruby?” She said back.

“Ella.” She gasped. “You are not supposed to have favourites.”

Irene laughed at them.

“Can I get you anything?” She asked them.

“Coffee.” Ella said immediately.

Nic giggled.

She giggled harder when Ella glared at her.

They sat next to Leah.

“How are you doing Ella?” Leah asked.

“One minute I’m ok and then I’m sobbing my heart out.” She said. “I don’t think I would have got out of the house anytime soon with out this one.” She said indicating Nic.

“Aw, shucks Step-mama.” Nic grinned. “We’ve helped each other these past couple of weeks.”

Ella smiled sadly.

“I know.” Leah said softly giving Ella’s hand a squeeze.

She grinned and looked up as Martha came in with her baby in the buggy. Nic gasped and looked at Ella.

“Come on.” She said. “We’ll go.”

Ella shook her head unable to speak.

“Hello.” Martha said to them all, picking her baby up out of the stroller.

Ella moaned and ran out before anyone could stop her.

Nic looked at Martha in disgust.

“You could have had the common decency to take the baby away to the other side of the Diner.” Nic hissed at her.

Martha tried to look as though what she’d done wasn’t intentional but Leah shook her head and she had the grace to blush.

They looked on in shock as Ella came back into the diner.

“What is your problem lady?” she asked her.

Martha shook her head.

“No. You have a problem with me and you just enjoyed hurting me. You have a choice. Either spit it out or I’ll tell Roman and you deal with him.” Ella said avoiding looking at the baby.

“He was mine.” Martha said emotionally. “Until you came along.”

Ella shook her head.

“You don’t own people. You decided you loved Jack remember and then you went with Hugo and countess others.” Ella said distinctly. “Roman is my husband and he loves me.”

“I can give him a baby and you can’t.” Martha hissed.

Ella recoiled.

“I know that isn’t his baby so shut up with your pathetic lies.” She said. “You need help Martha.”

Nic took hold of Ella’s arm and went to lead her out.

“Hang on.” Leah said. “If anyone is leaving it’s Martha.”

“Yes Darl.” Irene added. “Martha you ain’t welcome in here anymore.”

Martha looked at them in turn.

“How could you take her side?” she moaned.

“Easily.” Leah said. “She hasn’t just tried to hurt anyone.”

Martha turned the stroller and raced out of the diner.

“Better call Rachel and tell her what happened. Martha needs help.” Ella said softly.

Nic guided her into a chair and put her hand under her chin and lifted Ella’s head so she could see into her eyes.

“Mama.” She said.

Ella burst into tears and Nic held her.

“Can you call my dad we will need a lift home.” Nic asked Irene and the other woman nodded.

“I’m ok.” Ella said.

“In the words of my dad when he doesn’t quite believe you, Uh huh.” Nic said stroking her hair as she held her.

Ella sobbed harder.

Rachel walked into the diner.

“Ella.” She said softly.

“I’m ok, you need to help Martha.” She said.

“We will do I need to see you for a minute.” Rachel said softly.

Ella shook her head.

“Please Rachel I can’t.” she moaned.

“Have you told anyone?” Rachel asked.

“No.” she said finally.

“What about the counsellor I suggested.”

Ella groaned.

Nic handed her some tissues and Irene got her a glass of water. Leah went over and shut the diner turning the open sign to closed.

“Sorry.” Ella said, “I didn’t mean to have a meltdown.”

“You are among Friends.” Rachel said.

Ella looked at Nic.

“I shouldn’t get pregnant again.” She said. “Rachel told us yesterday when we went for the check up. There is too great a risk.”

“Mama!” Nic exclaimed. “And you’ve been bottling this up?”

Ella started crying again.

Leah came over and held her.

“I’ve spoken to Roman. I know you think I’m meddling but he’s been worried about you bottling it up. You won’t even talk to him about it.” Rachel said softly.

“I can’t. He wanted children.” Ella moaned.

“And you didn’t?” Rachel asked.

Ella shook her head.

“Of course I did. But I don’t matter.” She moaned and flinched at the knock on the door.

Irene went over and let Roman in.

“Ella.” He said walking quickly over to her.

She looked at him.

“Ella where do you get the idea that you don’t matter?” Rachel asked.

Ella flinched again.

“My mother. I’m a girl and I don’t matter. “ She said. “Only Michael mattered.”

Rachel looked at Irene who’d gasped.

“Ella.” Rachel said softly.

“When I bought Michael home I tried to talk to her and then I found I was pregnant she said that was what she expected. I couldn’t do anything right. And I can’t. I cant have babies.” She moaned. “She pushed me down the stairs trying to get me to lose it.” Ella said suddenly as though she just remembered. “My dad took me to hospital but we were ok and then screamed at me that I couldn’t even do that right.”

Roman lifted her off the chair and took her over to the sofa. Cradling her in his arms.

“I tried to tell Daddy but he didn’t believe me. I kept saying that she hated me for not being the one who’d died.” She moaned and cried harder.

“El.” Roman said softly. “I love you.”

“She killed herself when Jennie said that I would be the one looking after the baby.” Ella said quietly. “My dad found her.”

Roman looked at the women.

“And I miss her.” Ella said. “She hurt me so much but I miss her.” she cried.

“Sounds like a …” Nic trailed off after getting a warning look from Roman.

“Ella. I need you to listen to me ok.” Roman told her. “I’m devastated that we can’t have a baby but it’s not your fault ok. I love you and I’d rather have you than risk having a baby. I married you and babies would have been a bonus but I need you ok Ella. I’m sitting here pouring my heart out in front of everyone because you are as important to me as the air I breathe.”

She raised her head and looked at him.

“Not everyone, you forgot Colleen” she told him after a long moment.

He smiled.

“I love you Ella.”

“I love you too.” She told him.

Nic drove into the city to do some shopping. She met up with Ruby and Annie who had already moved into the studio and they went to the market so Nic could pick up some cheap material.

“How is Ella?” Ruby asked once they got it.

“She’s devastated.” Nic said to them.

Annie came over and hugged her.

“We need to go to Harry’s.” Nic told them. “I need to speak to him about something.”

Ruby grinned.

“We go there a lot. He feeds us for free.” She said. “Ella told him to take care of us.”

Nic laughed.

“She’s great isn’t she. I can’t stand seeing her so sad.” She said to them as they walked along the street. “So come on tell me everything.” She said.

“Well I’m ready to start a course called environmental studies.” Ruby said.

“I’m going to be doing boring business administration.” Annie said quickly.

“Couldn’t work out what you wanted to do huh?” Nic asked.

Annie grinned.

“Nope. I went through the past two weeks deciding on one option then changing my mind. The hotel has said that they will pay for part of my course.”

“You two sound so happy, compared to how you used to be.” Nic told them.

Annie laughed.

“I know. I think I’ve really grown up.”

“And she’s dating, you’ll never guess who?” Ruby chuckled.

“Migual?” Nic said.

Annie blushed and nodded.

“I notice that Ruby hasn’t told you she’s dating Yannis’ brother.” Annie told her.

“I leave you alone for three weeks and you turn into loose woman.” Nic said laughing.

Annie chuckled as they walked into Harry’s.

“Hello Nicole.” Harry called. “Take a seat and I will be with you soon.”

Nic grinned.

They walked to the back of the café and took a seat in a booth. Nic put her bags beside her. Within moments Harry came over to them with cups of coffee. He placed them on the table and they noticed that he had one for himself.

“You dad phoned me and let me know about the baby.” Harry told them sitting down with them.

Nic tried to smile but felt her face freeze up.

”What is it Nic?” Annie asked quickly.

Nic started to cry slowly.

“Sorry.” She gasped trying to pull herself together.

She turned to Harry.

“Did you know how evil her mother was?” she muttered angrily.

Ruby and Annie gasped.

Harry nodded slowly.

“I know what Elizabeth told me.” Harry said. “Her Dad told me the rest.”

“He should have taken care of her.” Nic muttered, folding her arms across her chest.

“Yes, he should have. “ Harry agreed.

She looked across and Annie and Ruby.

“She’s been told not to get pregnant again.” Nic said. “She’s broken hearted.”

Harry lowered his head.

Annie started crying.

“It’s ok Annster.” Ruby said softly, putting her arm around her.

“I am sorry.” Harry said. “For all of you.”

Nic nodded and then told them what she had planned.

She drove back to the bay just after that and went straight to the house and into her new sewing room. Within an hour she had the pattern cut and began sowing a new wedding dress.

“Hey,” Roman said softly.

“Hey back.” Ella told him.

She had a storage box in front of her and she folded the white shall and placed it in the bottom. Then she wrapped the cardigan they bought in tissue paper and put that away. She added an envelope that contained the scans of the baby and put the lid on it before putting it in the back of the wardrobe.

“So just like that.” He said.

She shook her head.

“I just couldn’t look at them anymore.” She admitted.

He smiled at her and went to sit next to her on the bed.

She tried to smile at him but couldn’t.

“Hurting?” he said.

She nodded.

“I want to scream.” She said to him. “I want to claw my skin off to let the pain out.”

“Must be a bloke thing.” He said.

“What?” She asked.

“I want to make love to you and hold you until we fall asleep.” He said to her stroking her hair.

She shook her head.

“I can’t. I don’t want to.”

He grinned.

“I know.” He kissed her gently. “I understand.”

“I wish you did. “ she muttered. “I feel pretty useless as a woman right now.”

He nodded grinning.

“I feel pretty useless as a man.” He said.

“Why?” she asked quickly

He grinned and kissed her again.

“Because I couldn’t take care of my wife. She lost my baby. And I knew something has been hurting her but I ignored it so that it didn’t affect our marriage.”

“How were you to know?” she asked him. “I kept it secret for a lot of years. Even I didn’t acknowledge it within myself.”

“I kind of think that if you hadn’t have been hurt you would have come and found me. But you had your mothers words inside your head and it kept you away from me when you lost our other baby.”

She looked at him and a single tear fell down her face.

“Didn’t it?” he said.

She nodded.

“I felt so worthless. Then when I had to take care of Mike I used that as a reason to keep going for a while.” She half grinned. “Pretty screwed up wasn’t I?” she paused. “Aren’t I?”

“I love you Ella.” He said to her. “I’m broken hearted because you are so hurt.”

She took hold of his hand.

He grinned sadly at her.

She kissed him.

He tried to keep in mind all they had talked about over the past couple of days. All the pain they had gone through. Losing the baby so traumatically. But he found himself kissing her back.

She pulled back slightly before she felt the flicker of passion within her. She groaned and pushed forward. He fell back on the bed and she became dominant, ripping his shirt in an effort to get it off him. Tugging it out of the waistband of his trousers and feeling his chest, his taught abs. Stroking him all over.

She stopped suddenly.

“Ella.” He said softly.

“I can’t.” she said and climbed off him pulling away.

He grinned.

“Well when you can will you remember this and put it on your to do list.”

She turned and glared at him.

“It’s not funny.” She muttered.

“I think it’s hilarious.” He told her. “I was paranoid that I couldn’t turn you on. Then I was paranoid that my equipment wouldn’t work. But it’s none of those is it? You’re scared,”

She looked at him and blanched.

“You want to get pregnant but you don’t.” he guessed.

She groaned and moved off the bed.

He stood quickly and pulled her into his arms.

“You want to make love to me don’t you Ella?” he asked.

She nodded.

“But you are scared?”

“Yes.” She said finally in a small voice.

“Why are you scared Ella?” he asked softly.

“Because.” She said.

He chuckled.

She hit him in the ribs.

“Because?” He prompted.

“Because I’m scared ok. I’m scared that it won’t be any good. I’m scared I’ll feel worthless. I’m scared that I’ll disappoint you. I’m scared to get pregnant.” She took a breath. “And I am really scared that I won’t get pregnant because I want to. I want a baby and I don’t care if I trick you.”

He pushed the hair away form her face and put his hands either side of her face tipping her head up so she had no choice except to look at him.

“I want to get you pregnant too because I don’t want to see you go through this, But I know if I do then I might lose you so I’m prepared. I will take care of us. I love you and you love me and it has always been good for us. You blow my mind. I know there is a voice inside you now telling you that you aren’t a woman, that you aren’t any good but look at you Ella. Look at the way you looked after all of us while you were dealing with this. You held Nic together and me. You kept Mike positive.” He paused and took a deep breath. ”You were even more concerned about Martha than yourself.”

She sighed.

“You’re prepared?” she asked.

“That bit you pick up on.” He said.

She grinned.

“The important bit yes.” She said and heard him chuckle.

“Yes I am prepared.” He grinned and gestured to the drawer by his side of the bed.

She went over and looked into it.

“My god man.” She muttered looking at all the packets and boxes. “Just how much sex are you planning? These have best before dates on you know.”

He blushed.

“I couldn’t remember which ones you preferred.” He admitted.

She picked up a box.

“Ribbed for her pleasure.” She read. “I’m leaning toward these.”

He stripped off his shirt and looked at it.

“Maybe Nic can mend it?” she said.

He grinned.

“I don’t think so.” He said. “But it might be fun to tell her the reason why its ripped.”

“No!” Ella exclaimed blushing madly.

He walked over to her and began kissing her.

“If you don’t want to we can wait for a while.” He said. “As long as I get to hold you.”

She smiled at him.

“No I want to.” She grinned. “You just have to put up with me using your body if you don’t want to.”

He smiled and kissed her peeling off her clothes and touching her all over. He felt her hands on him and he smiled down at her.

“Ribbed?” he asked.

She nodded.

“To start with anyway.”

Nic finished the dress and took it out form the sowing machine. She stood back and looked at it on the tailor’s dummy. The long gauzy material was beautiful. She was so proud of it especially the fact that she had designed and sown it in less than two days.

She picked up her phone and looked at the messages from Ruby and Annie. Grinning she texted them back walking down the stairs and out of the house. She didn’t see Geoff pull up in his car and park a little way off.

Geoff saw Nic grinning as she looked at her phone and tried to stop the flood of jealousy that went through him at the thought that maybe she was texting some guy. He groaned and climbed out of the car to look at the house. Taking a deep breath and looking round to make sure that Nic wasn’t on her way beck he used his key to open he door. He stepped inside feeling strangely at home and at the same time an intruder.

He took in the blue walls, and white woodwork. The long blue curtains and the throw cushions she had made. He looked on the sofa and saw even more cushions and groaned. He saw that she had the TV set up and a brand new DVD player. It looked like she was planing to spend more time in the house and a sudden image of someone other than him sitting beside her on the sofa was crippling. He went through to the kitchen and looked at the coloured canisters on the worktop the kettle and cups. This should have been his home.

It was at that moment that he looked out of the window and into the garden. Even that had been tamed. He did a double take when he saw the tree. Barely 3ft high he recognised it immediately. He groaned again unable to believe what he saw, what he’d thrown away. She’d kept it growing even after they broke up. Even after they had gone to separate colleges for a while. He shook his head and turned around and walked slowly out of the house.

He drove over to the beach house lost deep in thought. Wondering if there was some way he could salvage their relationship.

“Hello.” He called out.

Ruby and Annie were sitting on the sofa.

“Geoff.” Annie exclaimed. “Welcome home.” She cried cheerily.

She stood and put her arms around him.

“Yuk” she said, “You need a shower.” She told him.

He found himself bundled into the bathroom without knowing quite how it happened. Still he had time for a long shower before he met with Nic on the beach.

Ruby grinned at Annie.

“Good Job.” She said to her.

“Ok Rubes go get the dress and the shoes from Nic’s.” Annie said detailing the next stage of the plan.

Ruby grinned as she left.

Irene and Leah put the finishing touches to the food, Colleen’s cake was pride of place, and put up the closed sign before letting themselves out. They walked down to the Surf Club meeting up with Rachel and Tony on the way.

Miles and Ollie stood next to Harry and listened as he told stories about Ella to anyone who listened. Miles had the feeling that if Ella were there she would definitely be a little annoyed. Miles grinned.

Mike paced nervously. He had a speech to say later and could remember it despite the fact he had a photographic memory. He straightened his shirt up and groaned. Aden walked over to him.

“Alright little bruv?” Aden asked.

“No, I’m gonna puke.” Mike confessed. “Why did Nic get me to do this?” he asked.

“Because you can.” Aden said. “Just think how happy Ella and Roman will be.”

“Thanks Aden like I didn’t need the extra pressure.” Mike groaned.

Aden chuckled.

“Mike you will do fine.” He put his hand on his ‘brothers’ shoulder.

Nic came out of the surf club. She had curled her hair and left it loose. The make up was minimal. She was wearing jeans and a white smock top. She had on the choker that Geoff had given her and a couple of blue flowers in her hair. She was barefoot.

Aden and Mike had to do a double take. She had never looked so beautiful.

She walked to the archway where Pastor Frank was waiting. She grinned at something he said and then held her hand out for Amy-belle to join her.

Aden grinned at his daughter. She had worn jeans like Nic but had teamed it with her Princess dress. She looked over and saw him and waved. He and Mike waved back.

They saw everyone taking seats. Aden moved over to where Belle and Brett were sitting and sat on the seat they have saved for him. He caught hold of Belle’s hand and smiled at her.

Mike went and sat near Ella. He looked at her and turned pale.

Ruby stood at the back and gave Nic the signal. She grinned at her.

Feeling her phone vibrate she opened it and saw the text form Annie to say they were on their way.

She smiled and turned to face everyone.

“He is on his way.” She said.

The gathering laughed and some of them clapped.

They waited and after a few minutes. Geoff and Annie turned up.

“Annie what is this?” Geoff asked his sister.

“You need to go stand down there.” Annie said and gave her brother a push.

Irene laughed.

He walked nervously down to join Nic.

“Geoff, I got you here under false pretences. I don’t want to talk about the house. I stand before you today in jeans and almost make up free.” She paused as a few people chuckled. “and barefoot because I want you to know that nothing matters to me except you.”

She knelt down on one knee and looked up at him.

“Geoffrey Campbell, will you marry me?” she asked him presenting him with a thin silver band.

He grinned.

“Are you joking of course I will.” He said and blushed when everyone laughed.

She stood up and placed the ring on his finger.

“Now?” she asked gesturing to the waiting pastor.

Geoff grinned and picked Nic up holding her full length against his body as he kissed her long and hard.

“I think that is a yes.” Aden shouted out.

Frank coughed and Geoff reluctantly let her go.

Aden came and stood next to Geoff.

“Dearly Beloved.” Frank began. “We have been kidnapped you all here today, especially the groom to witness the marriage of Nicole and Geoffrey. We hope that we can get Geoff to commit before he disappears again.”

Geoff groaned.

“Ok Aden you wrote these didn’t you.” Geoff said to him.

“I may have done Bible boy.” Aden smiled.

A smattering of laughter went through the crowd.

“It is a time of celebration, for two people have come together and found mutual joy. They have shared their lives and decided to create a covenant between themselves, a partnership guided by spirit and support by our community here in Summer Bay. Geoffrey and Nicole ask all you in attendance in body and spirit to pledge your support and encouragement for them to keep true to their vows.” Frank said softly. “You have the rings?”

Aden chuckled as he checked his pockets. After a moment, Brett walked up to him and handed him the jewellery box.

He looked over at Nic and grinned.

Frank turned to Nicole and she took the ring from the bible and placed it on Geoff’s finger.

“I. Nicole Harris take you Geoffrey Campbell to be my wedded husband. To have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness or in health, to love and to cherish 'till death do us part. And hereto I pledge you my faithfulness.” She paused. “See I’ve been practising.” She said to Geoff with a smile.

“Only like ever night!” Mike shouted out.

Geoff grinned and picked up the platinum band and slid it on her finger as he recited his vows.

“I. Geoffrey Campbell take you Nicole Harris to be my wedded wife. To have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer and no I won’t give you a credit card, in sickness or in health, to love and to cherish 'till death do us part. And hereto I pledge you my faithfulness.” He vowed.

Nic laughed.

She turned to look at her dad and saw the Ella was grinning at him. He looked at her proudly. She wiped a tear from her face and mouthed the words that she loved him.

Frank looked at them again and smiled before beginning to speak again.

“And you begin your journey of life shared, separate beings that have come together into one light, one love. Many are the years you will share if you keep your vows, your sacred trust. May you take delight in each other for all your days. You are forever changed from this day forward. May you grow old together and share a happy home. I now pronounce you husband and wife. You can kiss the bride again.”

Geoff grinned and took Nic into his arms and kissed her once more lifting her off the sand below their feet.

“You can stop kissing the bride now.” Aden said after a moment.

Geoff gently lowered her and she chuckled.

The congregation stood up and applauded.

Nic smiled.

“Ladies and Gentlemen.” She began taking hold of Geoff’s hand and squeezing it. “Some of you know that the past few weeks we have been dealing with a few things. Well can I ask my Mum and Dad to stand up. And I do mean you Ella.”

Roman stood and dragged Ella to her feet.

“I’ve arranged a little surprise for you. Ella if you’ll go with Ruby please and Dad if you’ll go with Aden. Oh, and we need your wedding rings.”

“Nic.” Ella protested but Annie and Ruby came and fetched her. Roman went with Aden.

Nic turned to Geoff.

“Was that romantic enough for you? I mean do you feel loved now? Because I do, Geoff. I don’t want anyone else but you from today until Death do us part.”

“I love you Nic. I am sorry I let my doubts hurt us. I just thought that you could do better than me. I never climbed into your window or braved your Dad in a bad mood or…”

“Only save me from Elliot, thumped Darren, never left me alone when I was hurting, was always someone I could talk to even though I must have hurt you with some of the things I was telling you. I love you Geoff. You are my hero.”

He smiled at her and took her in his arms.

She looked up and saw Ruby making frantic signals and grinned.

Aden led out Roman out after he’d changed into the suit that Nic had picked out for him. He frowned at her and she smiled in response. Aden leaned over and said something and Roman removed his wedding ring and gave it to him.

He looked up as he heard the wedding music begin to play and saw Ella start walking toward him with Mike escorting her down the aisle. She was wearing a long flowing gown in a pale cream colour. Her hair was curled and left loose around her face. His breath caught in his throat as he looked at her.

She arrived at his side.

“I love you.” He blurted out.

She grinned and handed Aden her wedding ring as she had been instructed to.

“Dearly beloved, On a solemn occasion such as a wedding I have never had to be sworn to secrecy not once but twice. We are here today because it is obvious these two love each other and they didn’t have the wedding they should have done.” Pastor Frank began. “Roman Harris do you take Ella, I’m not allowed to say her full name, as your wedded wife still?”

Roman grinned.

“Can I take a moment to think about it?” he asked.

Ella glared at him.

“Yes, I do, I most certainly do.” He said looking at her.

“Do you Ella, I’m not allowed to say your full name, take Roman as your husband still?”

“Yes.” She said softly.

“Normally we let you exchange vows at this point but I understand that Nicole and Mike have prepared something.”

Roman looked over at them.

Nic and Mike stood together.

“Mum and Dad, we love you. We have done this today to show you what you mean to us and how much your support has meant.” They said together.

Mike looked over at Ella and grinned.

“Mum you took me in and looked after me. You never complained and I want you to know how much I value you even though I may not always say it.” Mike said. “And now you have given me a wonderful Dad and new family. Thank you.”

He looked at Nic and grinned.

She placed her hand on his shoulder and nodded at him.

“Dad, when I came to Summer Bay you were my protector and my mentor. Then I gave you a chance and you became my Dad. I can’t tell you how much you have guided me. Now you’ve given me something precious, I have a Mum. Well, another one, anyway. She has cared for me and shown me how to be compassionate even when something hurts her. She held me when I fell apart, just when I knew she needed us most but as my new brother said she never complained. Thank you both for the wonderful family you have both given me.”

Nic finished and looked over to see Ella having to wipe tears from her face.

“You may say something now as you exchange rings.”

Roman looked at Ella.

“To have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness or in health, to love and to cherish 'till death do us part. And hereto I pledge you my faithfulness.” He said and saw her smile. He picked up her ring and slid it onto her finger.

Ella picked up his ring.

“I give you this ring to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness or in health, to love and to cherish 'till death do us part. And hereto I pledge you my faithfulness.” She murmured.

“I now pronounce you husband and wife. Still.” Frank said softly. “You may kiss the bride.”

Roman looked at her.

“I love you.” He said and kissed her gently on the lips.

She grinned.

“I love you too.”

They turned and looked at the standing ovation they had from everyone there.

Nic came over to them.

“You aren’t mad are you?” she asked.

Ella grinned.

“No.” she said.

“Congratulations Mrs Campbell.” Roman said to her.

Nic blushed.

She turned to everyone.

“Ladies and Gents. If you would like to go back to the Diner there is some food and drinks laid on.” She said.

They began walking toward the diner.

Archived