A Summer Bay Wedding

Guest TelephotoMarigold

“Did you get everything?” Roman asked them.

“Yes, popcorn three types, chocolate, marshmallows, non-alcoholic wine, assorted sweets and cakes, sodas, juices!” Nic said.

“Thank you.” He told her giving her a quick peck on the cheek.

“Is she..” Annie started to ask.

“She’s still asleep I checked on her five minutes ago.” Roman told them. “It really is ok she just needs some extra rest, remember we didn’t get home until nearly 4am and she was up cooking at 10am this morning.” He told them.

“We did kinda wear her out.” Ruby said guiltily.

“Nonsense,” Ella said from the doorway of the bedroom. She pressed a hand to her belly. “It’s this one that’s doing that.”

“Hey.” He said to her.

“What’s this? Have you been plotting something?” she asked.

Roman smiled at her.

“Nothing sinister. We thought we would have a night watching some films with you and not drag you out.”

Her eyes flashed at him.

“We bought Chocolate.” Nic told her. “We’re going to change into PJ’s and make dad watch chick flicks.”

Ella laughed and walked over to Roman.

She held out her hand and he pressed a bar of chocolate into it.

“Anything except the Notebook.” He warned.

Ella and Nic looked at each other and laughed.

“Now what pizza would you like?” Roman asked.

She glared at him some more before conceding.

“12” vegetarian.” She told him.

He pressed a quick kiss to her lips before picked her up and placing her on the sofa. The girls covered her with a blanket.

“I don’t have a say in this do I?” she asked.

“No.” Annie told her.

She laughed and gave Annie a quick hug.

“Fine.” She said unwrapping the chocolate bar and taking a bite.

She heard Roman ordering lots of pizzas and she smiled when he asked for Pete to deliver them.

The girls came back a moment later bringing out a couple of beanbags form Mike’s room and wearing their night clothes and dressing gowns. They went back and grabbed blankets too.

“Dad are you going to get changed?” Nic asked.

Ella nodded.

“That might not be a good idea Nic.” She told her.

“Why?” Nic asked then realised. “Oh!”

Annie and Ruby burst out laughing and Nic had to hand over money to them.

He chuckled at her.

They put on a film, selecting Gladiator to start off with.

Roman got them all drinks and organised the snacks before coming over and joining them.

“Russell Crowe?” he asked El and saw her blush.

“I think you might find the batman films there too!” she confirmed looking at him.

“Any Arnold Scwartznegger?” he asked.

She nodded.

“A couple. I have the Terminator Films.” She told him smiling.

“I suppose you have some with George Clooney in too?” he said.

She nodded again.

“All of the Ocean’s films and a few others. I like Brad Pitt too.” She said softly trying not to grin.

He laughed and kissed her before leaping over the back of the sofa to sit next to her. He held out his hand and she put hers into it letting him hold her hand.

When the pizza delivery arrived, Roman got up to answer the door and Nic took his place on the sofa. She grinned at him when he frowned over at her.

“Hey Mrs Harris.” Pete called from the door.

“Hey Pete.” Ella replied.

Roman paid for the pizzas and brought them over to the low wooden coffee table. He returned to the kitchen and topped up drinks before bringing a pile of napkins and plates.

“Nic.” He said.

She smiled at him.

“Yes Daddy.” She said.

“Move.” He growled.

“But I’m comfy.” She murmured.

Ella laughed.

Roman leant over the back of the sofa and picked Nic up and lifted her out of the way before he leapt over the back again and took the place she had been in.

Ella giggled.

He mock growled and kissed her.

“You do realise that Nic has made plans to live with me in case we ever split up.” Ella told him. “I don’t know quite how Geoff will feel about the arrangement though.”

Ruby and Annie laughed.

“In case we split up?” Roman asked raising an eyebrow. “Are you planning to leave me?” he asked.

“Depends on whether Christian Bale becomes available really.” Ella told him giggling, “Or maybe if Brad and Angelina split.”

“Fine. Be like that. But be warned I get custody of Miles.” He told her.

“Ouh! You are playing dirty aren’t you?” she told him still giggling. “Ok you get Miles but I get Summer Bay. You’ll have to move. And I want a Half share of your portion of the diner!”

He laughed.

“As long as you know you’ll have to pay me palimony for Miles.” He told her.

“You just want to be careful I don’t cite your other woman, Colleen, in the divorce petition.” She said to him.

They looked over at the girls to see that they were laughing hysterically.

“Custody of Miles?” Ruby asked puzzled.

Ella laughed and explained.

“When we met up again Roman told me that he had sorta adopted Miles.”

“What is this again business? I’ve been out of the Bay for a long time.” Ruby told them.

“Ella and my dad met a long time ago.” Nic told them. “Ella’s brother was in the army same as my Dad.” She filled her in. “And she has a son called Mike. Well he’s her nephew really but she adopted him.”

“That’s so not any clearer!” Ruby told her.

Roman handed Ella a plate with some pizza on before getting his own.

They shared a look.

“Roman and I knew each other in Afghanistan a long time ago. My brother was in the same unit. We hung out. My bother was married and his wife was pregnant. But he was killed and just after the baby was born my sister-in-law died so I adopted Mike.” Ella told them.

He leaned over and touched the dog tags she was wearing and kissed her.

Nic and Ruby shared a look.

“Are we supposed to believe that you just knew each other?” Ruby asked.

They helped themselves to Pizza.

Annie laughed.

“That’s as much as you are going to get so you can hand over the money.” Ella told her with a grin.

Ruby shrugged and handed over the money to Nic.

They finished watching the movie and the next one before Ella started to drift to sleep.

“Time for bed?” he asked her and she nodded to him.

“Ok Girls we’re going to bed, Why don’t you go into Mikes room if you want to watch more movies.” Roman told them.

Nic stood and placed a kiss on Ella’s head.

“Night Step-mama.” She said.

The other girls followed suite before disappearing into Mike’s room. Roman cleared away the debris of the evening before lifting Ella up and taking her into the bedroom.

She snuggled close to him, wrapping her arms around his neck.

“I’m never leaving you.” She whispered.

“I don’t care you aren’t going to trick me into giving you Miles.” He replied hearing her giggle.

He lay her in the bed before undressing and climbing in beside her. She turned and put her arms around him. He pulled the covers over them and found himself falling asleep with her in his arms.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Roman wandered into the kitchen and began making breakfast. After a few minutes the girls came out and made for the coffee. They were plainly not speaking to each other.

“Morning.” He told them.

“Uh” Nic said and folded her arms as she sat down glaring at Ruby.

Annie and Ruby looked at each other.

“Ok.” Roman said. “We can do this the easy way or the hard way.” He muttered.

They looked at him.

“What’s the easy way?” Annie asked.

“That’s simple I go and wake Ella and she sorts you out.” He told them.

Ruby laughed earning another glare from Nic.

“And the hard way?” Ruby asked.

“I ground you, you sulk, eat all my food, slam doors, arrange parties when I’m not around, and don’t talk to me.” He told them.

They laughed.

“And by the hard way I meant for me.” He added.

He placed a perfectly cooked omelette in front of Nic and put a rack of toast on the table. Returning the pan to the heat he began cooking the next one.

“They stole my phone.” Nic said eventually.

“You were texting Geoff until 3am. We wanted some sleep.” Annie replied.

“So why didn’t you text your brother and tell him not to text me.” Nic asked her.

“We did!” Ruby confessed. “It wasn’t the beeps that were annoying it was when you were giggling.”

Nic glared at them.

“And when you told us that your predictive text didn’t spell….” Annie began.

“Dad this is a really nice omelette.” Nic said loudly, blushing.

Ruby and Annie laughed at her.

Ruby pulled the phone out of her pocket and handed it back to Nic.

“Thank you.” Nic told her.

Roman laughed and placed the second omelette in front of Annie before starting the third one.

“How is Ella?” Nic asked.

“She’s ok. She’s worn out.” Roman told her.

“So you are definitely going home today?” Nic said.

“Yes we are.” He murmured. “I want her to go see Rachel when we get home.”

He placed the last omelette in front of Annie.

Before pouring himself another cup coffee and sitting at the table.

“You don’t have to say it Nic we know you want to see Geoff.” Ruby told her.

“I still have loads to arrange for the wedding too.” She told them. “Invites for the stag and hen parties. I need to see who has RSVP’d.I need to make the pattern for your dresses and start making them” Nic went through the list and picked up her plate and took it over to the sink and began washing up. She collected her cup next and did that, followed by their plates and even the cups they were still drinking out of.

Roman held on to his cup.

“Nic.” He said quietly.

She looked up.

“Oh my god did I do it again?” she asked.

“Yes.” He told her. “But I was actually going to tell you she keeps the vacuum in that cupboard and the sheets need stripping from your beds for washing.”

Nic looked at him.

“Very funny.” She groaned.

Then after a moment.

“That Cupboard?” she asked pointing.

He nodded.

She walked over and opened it pulling out the cleaner.

“Cool!” she exclaimed. “She has a steam cleaner. I can give the carpets a good going over with this.”

Ruby and Annie laughed.

They walked into the bedroom and stripped the laundry from their beds before tidying the room. They brought out the bowls of snacks they’d had last night and emptying the last of the contents in the bin they put them in the dishwasher. They packed and brought the bags out near the door to let Nic go in and vacuum.

Roman poured himself another coffee and walked over to tidy up the DVD’s they’d watched. He noticed that there was enough space on the shelf to put the Lethal Weapon movies and he laughed.

Ella came out of the bedroom, she had showered and was dressed.

“Hey.” He said.

“Hey yourself.” She walked over to him and kissed him.

“Is that the vacuum cleaner?” she asked.

“Nic started thinking about the wedding again.” He said.

Ella laughed.

She took the cup out of his hand and took a sip before handing it back.

“That wasn’t Decaff.” He told her.

“I know but I needed to remember what it tasted like it’s been so long since I had any.” She told him straight faced.

“You can take any of the films with us if you want.” She told him.

He smiled at her.

“Including your Lethal Weapon movies?” he asked. “Mel Gibson too?”

She nodded.

“Maybe.” She told him.

“How am I supposed to compete with your other men?” he asked jokingly.

She stood on tiptoe and whispered in his ear and he slowly blushed. He put the coffee cup on the table and took her into his arms for a long slow thorough kiss. She wound her arms around his neck and moulded herself tightly to his body.

“Good Morning.” She told him when they eventually broke apart.

He smiled at her stroking her back slowly as he kept his arms around her.

The girls came out the room. Annie was holding the vacuum and Nic was pouting.

Ella looked at them and laughed.

“Nic do you want to look in my wardrobe?” Ella asked trying to distract her.

Nic looked at the carpet and then at Ella.

“I suppose so.” She muttered ungraciously.

Ella chuckled.

“I have Chanel.” She tempted her.

Nic looked up from the carpet.

“Really?” she asked.

Ella laughed. She placed a quick kiss on Roman’s lips before leading all the girls into the bedroom.

She opened her wardrobe and Nic dived in picking out clothes and laying them on the bed.

“Prada.” She gasped. “Chanel.”

Ella laughed and added.

“Vintage madam, that suit is an original 1954 design.” She told her. “For her comeback collection. I picked it up from a stall in Paris.”

“Wow.” Nic said. She stroked the suit slowly.

“Do you want it?” she asked her.

Nic nodded unable to speak for a moment.

“I couldn’t.” she said picking it out of the wardrobe and hugging it while being careful not to crease it.

“Of course you could. I can still borrow it if I want to wear it. Same to you girls if you see something you can have it.” Ella told them.

She opened up another part of the wardrobe and pulled out garment bags, tucking the suit in one she handed one to Annie and another to Ruby.

“Annie I’d also like to give you the Victorian dress you were wearing yesterday.” She added.

“No. You can’t it’s too much.” Annie told her.

Ella laughed.

“There is no way I can possible fit all of these things into the Bay not to mention I probably won’t wear half of them anyway.” She said patting her bump.

Nic laughed.

Ella started packing her clothes on top of what Roman had already packed. She added the outfit she’d worn the other night. The girls giggled as they watched her. She added a number of maxi dresses she had and a few more gypsy skirts and tops. The bag was completely full and she grimaced.

“What is it Step-mama?” Nic asked her, still eyeing up the collection in the wardrobe.

She walked over to the dresser and pulled out Travel Bear and wrapped it in a colourful scarf before putting it in her canvas handbag.

“Nothing.” She said. “However many times I pack I always think the bag is bigger than it is.”

She went back to the dresser and picked up a velvet jewellery holder and picked out some pieces of jewellery from her box. She did it up and tucked that inside her handbag too.

“Right that is me done.” She told them. “Have you decided what you want?”

Annie shook her head.

“Ok then I’ll do it for you. “ Ella walked over to the wardrobe and picked up a simple shift dress in vivid blues and greens in a swirl pattern. She handed it to her and then fetched a patent black belt from her dresser and handed that over too.

“There you go.” she said. “Ruby?” she asked.

Ruby blushed and went over to pick up a 1950’s dress.

“I love this one.” She exclaimed.

Ella laughed.

“I’ve never actually worn that one.” She confessed. “Don’t tell Roman.”

“Don’t tell me what?” he asked from the doorway.

“Nothing!” Ruby exclaimed tucking the dress in the bag. They stood up and began filing form the room. Nic hung up the outfits she’d scattered on the bed and picked up her garment bag. She looked one last time at the wardrobe and sighed before joining the girls. They went downstairs and picked up the outfits from the photo shoot and Ruby had to collect the Victorian dress on behalf of Annie. They tidied up the make up and accessories tucking the boxes back in the storeroom. They folded up the rest of the clothes and put them back in the trunk but decided to leave it where it was.

Nic went into the back of the storeroom and picked up one of the boxes Ella said she could have carrying that to the outer door. Before she tackled the other one.

She looked up to see her Dad and Ella coming down the stairs. He carried the boxes to the car for Nic while Ella pulled their car out of the garage. She left the car open and they started filling them up. Roman smiled at her as he stashed his secret shopping on the back seat with the other shopping bags and the holdall. He then fetched the girls bags handing them over to them, before the packages containing the material and putting them in the back.

Ella double-checked the garage was locked before doing a check of the inside. She made sure the studio was secure and she hadn’t left anything on before going upstairs and doing the same with that. She checked the door was double locked before going down the studio steps and out. She locked the outer door before walking over to the outer door of the apartment and checking that was double locked.

“What about all the food in the fridge and the rubbish?” Ruby suddenly asked.

“My assistant will take care of that.” Ella told her.

They climbed into the cars and set off. Ella drove them out of the city, with Nic driving the car and following behind, then she pulled over watching as the girls sped past with a smile and she and Roman swapped places with him driving the rest of the journey.

“Are you going to tell me what you bought?” she asked.

He smiled and reached into the back seat to hand her a bag before putting his hand back on the steering wheel.

She looked into it and saw that he’d bought a white woollen shawl.

“Before you say anything it is for you not for the baby.” He told her with a grin.

She lifted it out of the bag and fingered the soft fringe.

“It’s beautiful.” She gasped.

“I thought it might help with your nesting.” He grinned.

“Thank you.” She told him.

He grinned.

“The other one will have to wait.” He said concentrating on the road. With a grin he overtook the girl’s and pulled in front.

Roman had to wake Ella when they arrived she had been asleep for most of the journey. He unpacked the car and saw the girls pull up. Before he could blink Geoff wandered down the road toward them and he watched as Nic ran over to him and he picked her up to kiss her.

Ella looked at them and smiled at him stroking his arm, he knew she was remembering when he’d done the same thing when she’d told him she was coming for their second date. He turned his head and kissed her.

She chuckled stepping inside the house. She carried her handbag and the bag with the shawl in it upstairs, pulling it out of the bag to look at it in more detail. It was hand woven in the softest wool. She twirled around her feeling it’s gentle touch on her skin, part of her imagining how it would feel with the baby in her arms.

She looked up and saw him watching her.

She smiled and he walked over and kissed her.

“Thank you.” She told him.

“My pleasure.” He said.

He handed over the next bag, this one smaller. She looked inside and saw a silver bracelet.

She pulled it out and looked at it, seeing the patterned surface.

“It’s lovely.” She told him putting it on her wrist. “Thank you.”

He smiled and walked over to the wardrobe while she took Travel Bear out of her handbag and sat him on the dresser.

He looked over at her and laughed.

She flushed.

“No. I saw him in your drawer and was upset he hadn’t made an appearance in the Bay.” Roman confessed.

“I forgot him” she shrugged. “It was so stressful getting Mike sorted out for school and coming here that it wasn’t until we were halfway I realised.” She walked over to him seeing that he had opened the mysterious footlocker he kept in the bottom of the wardrobe.

He grinned and patted the floor beside him. He pulled out a notebook she recognised from Afghanistan and he opened it. She gasped when he showed her the photo of them. Her brother Michael and them and it was the one where they were kissing.

She laughed.

He handed her the photo and she turned it over looking at his handwriting on the back.

“My future wife!” she grinned at him and they kissed.

“Come on I need something to eat.” He told her “and we have the rest of the stuff downstairs.”

She let him pull her up and they went downstairs. She was still clutching the photograph and she tucked it inside the cabinet.

Annie and Ruby were in the kitchen.

“Nic has gone off with Geoff.” Ruby told them. “She said don’t wait up for her.”

Ella laughed.

“We’re going to go down the beach in a bit before I drag Annie to see my disgustingly cute Niece.” Ruby added.

They finished their drinks and put the empty glasses in the sink.

“Ella thank you for a wonderful weekend.” Annie said.

“Yes adopted-mama.” Ruby grinned. “It was so cool. I can’t wait to tell Charlie about you dancing.”

Roman growled.

“Oh no you don’t that is a secret.” He muttered.

Ruby and Annie laughed as they disappeared through the door.

Roman opened the fridge and saw the it was empty. Everything including his beer was gone.

Ella chucked when she saw his face. She went over to the cupboard that housed her vodka and saw that it too was gone.

“I’m going to kill your daughter!” she told him.

“Not your vodka.” He said to her smiling.

“Yes.” She mourned.

“Did you tell her not to touch it?” he asked sensibly.

She glared at him.

“Do you want me to tell them how you learnt to dance?” she asked him growling.

He laughed.

“Like they would actually believe that story.” He said folding his arms.

She looked at him and went over to the phone. She dialled a number and waited until it was picked up.

“Hello.” She said.

“Hey.” Said Kirsty. “You’ve been away?” she half questioned.

“Yes we went to my place in the city. Is Miles there?” she asked.

“Hang on I’ll just get him.” she was told.

Ella looked over at Roman and saw that he had folded his arms across his chest and was frowning at her.

“Hello.” Miles said into the phone.

“Hi Miles. I’ve got a story to tell you but Roman says you’ll never believe it.” she said.

She heard Miles laugh.

“I’ll pretty much believe anything about him.” Miles told her. “What is it?”

She grinned.

“Well when we were in the city we took the girls to a salsa club and Roman got up and started dancing. The following day the girls kept trying to ask him how he learnt to dance and he said he didn’t want anyone to know. He’s just been really horrible to me and I said I would tell someone the story. He said no-one would believe it so I thought of you because I know you would.” She paused and looked over at Roman who had started to fidget. “When we were in Afghanistan I was only 19 and I didn’t want a full on relationship.” She began and was suddenly hearing the disconnected tone in her ear.

She looked up to see he had pressed the button on the wall ending the call. She hung up the phone and grinned at him.

“If you weren’t pregnant I would spank you.” He told her softly his lips by her ear.

“When are you lot going to learn not to mess with my vodka. It’s my only rule. Don’t touch it. Don’t joke about it. And really don’t …” the rest was cut off as he kissed her.

The phone rang and he answered it.

“Yo no hablo Inglés” he said before hanging up.

She grinned at him.

“I suppose we need to go shopping?” She asked.

He smiled at her.

“Or we could do something else.” He suggested.

She pushed at his chest.

“Nope shopping the baby needs food.” She said and walked over to the door.

“You just want to buy another bottle of vodka.” He muttered, “and you can’t even drink it at the moment.”

She glared at him before going out the door and to the car.

He followed grinning, checking he had house keys before he pulled the door shut.

A bit of Niff….

Geoff and Nic walked to the beach holding hands and stopping to kiss passionately.

“I’ve missed you.” He told her.

She grinned.

“The girls confiscated my phone last night.” She commented.

“I’m not surprised. Irene shouted out to tell me to shut up laughing at about 3am. I think I kept her awake.” He smiled.

He stopped and pulled her towards him stroking her cheek and pushing a lock of hair behind her ear.

“I can’t wait until our wedding night.” He said. “I’m going to, but you need to know that I need you so much.” He whispered.

She melted into his embrace and kissed him passionately.

“ I love you.” She told him. “I love you so much I can’t imagine life without you.”

He grinned.

“Well luckily for you future Mrs Campbell you don’t have to!” he told her gently. “I promise never to stop loving you.” He declared loudly.

“Thanks Bible boy, but maybe you should save that for your wife to be.” Aden said from behind them.

Nic laughed and looked over at her foster brother, he was sitting on the beach with Belle.

“Very funny Aden.” She told him.

Amy-belle and Brett were playing nearby and she found herself distracted by them.

“Er. .Nic..” Geoff said again.

She looked up.

“Sorry?” she asked.

She blushed as Aden winked at her.

“Aden and Belle were asking if you want to go shopping with them tomorrow to get his suit.” He told her.

“Yes. What time?” she asked Belle.

“About 10ish. I tend not to do early mornings anymore.” She commented.

“Your not…” Nic asked, about to say pregnant. She felt a hint of jealously go through her. Maybe she was a little broody. Ok, she was a lot broody looking over at Amy-Belle.

Aden chuckled.

“She better not be.” He commented earning a thump form Belle.

“No the kids drive me nuts in the morning so I tend to try and take it as it comes, otherwise I end up panicking about missing an appointment.” She told her.

Nic and Geoff sat down next to the others.

“You look slightly less stressed about the wedding now.” Belle told her.

Nic looked over at her.

“Are you kidding? I’m a basket case.” She confessed. “We have a caterer and photographer, the flowers are ordered, I’ve got to see who has replied to our invites and make Ruby’s and Annie’s dresses.” She told her in a long monologue.

Belle laughed.

“It’s not too late to elope.” Aden told Geoff. “I’ll give you a hand kidnapping her.” He looked over at the expression on Nic’s face and changed his mind. “On the other hand you are on your own.” He muttered.

Nic finished glaring at him and turned back to Belle.

“We found these lovely headbands in the city and I got one for Amy-Belle. Does she wear them?” She asked seriously.

“Yes she loves them.” Belle commented.

“I’ve also ordered a basket of rose petals she can scatter up the aisle.” She confessed, earning a loving look from Geoff.

She smiled at him and felt her heart thump in her chest at how handsome he was and how his eyes lit up when he looked at her.

“She will adore you for life. Why don’t you go tell her?” Aden told her gently.

Nic flushed.

“I don’t know I’ve never really had much to do with kids.” She said quickly.

“Well Amy-Belle is easy. Just tell her she’s a princess and she’ll be your slave.” Geoff told her.

“Geoffrey Campbell have you been hanging out with another woman while I’ve been away?” she asked him raising her perfectly shaped eyebrows at him.

“Yes but she has a protective older brother, just like you!” Geoff commented. “I had to play with an action man for nearly an hour.” He grinned.

She giggled and stood up walking over to Amy-Belle.

She knelt down in front of the young girl, shocked by how much she looked like Aden.

“Hey Amy-Belle I’m Nic.” She said to her.

“Nic, I knows you. you are my ant.” Amy-belle lisped. “I like yous hair.” She said wiping a sand-covered hand through it.

Nic laughed at her.

“That’s funny because I was just thinking that you had pretty hair. I was hoping you could do me a favour?” she said

“Yes.” She lisped putting her hand in Nic’s “Help me build castle for princess.“ she told her.

Nicole sat on the beach and put the sand in the bucket.

“When me and Geoff get married would you like to help me?” Nic asked.

Amy-Bellle nodded.

“I wants Princess dress.” She told her.

“I have the prettiest princess dress for you to wear.” Nic told her. “And a little crown to put in your hair.”

Amy-belle smiled at her.

Nic patted out the castle from the bucket and firmed it up. Amy-Belle added some shells she’d found to decorate it. They did more castles and Nic found some seaweed she added to it to make a garden.

“I want to do faber.” Amy-belle told her. “Do you want to see my dolly?” she asked her. She tugged on her hand and pulled her towards where she had left her dolly.

“Wow she is really pretty,” Nic told her.

“Yes she’s like you.” Amy-belle told her. “Cuz you are pretty too.”

“Thank you Amy-Belle.” Nic said feeling emotional tears in her eyes.

“Don’t cry.” Amy-Belle told her and put her arms around her neck.

Nic stood up with Amy-Belle in her arms and cuddled her.

“Er… Geoff. “ Belle told him. “I think your future wife is kidnapping my daughter.”

Geoff looked over at them seeing his Nicole. She looked so lovely with the little girl in her arms that he couldn’t wait until it was their daughter she was holding.

“Well you have a chance that she might give her back someday.” Geoff said.

Aden and Belle looked at each other and stood up.

“Ok you two are babysitting, see you in an hour. No ice-cream.” Aden told him.

“Babe. “ Belle protested.

“Alright two hours.” Aden grinned.

He walked off down the beach with Belle giggling next to him.

Geoff stood up and walked over to Brett.

“Hey Unc Geoff.” He said.

“Hey B Boy.” Geoff called using the nickname the boy had decided on after hearing his Dad calling Geoff Bible Boy. “Fancy a game of ball?” he asked him.

Brett nodded and stood up from his castle to go to his soccer ball.

Nic came over to them still cuddling Amy-Belle.

“We’re babysitting.” Geoff told her.

She looked at him and grinned.

“As long as they realise we will expect them to do the same.” Nic said to him.

He chuckled.

“Perhaps you should.. I dunno… at least wait until we are pregnant before planning the babysitters.” He told her in a whisper.

She giggled.

“Ok Amy-Belle shall we show these men how to play?” Nic asked her and Amy-Belle nodded.

Nic tackled Geoff and kicked the ball along the beach. Brett started running towards it and she let Amy-Belle down so she could go too. They played for a half-hour, then built super castles before heading to the Diner for milkshakes.

Geoff and Nic walked together holding hands until Amy-Belle decided she wanted to hold Nic’s hand instead.

Geoff lifted Brett on to his shoulders and put his arm around Nic. He couldn’t help smiling at her she looked so happy.

• 2 weeks later...

Roman and Ella walked into the house carrying bags. She was only allowed to carry one and he had one under his arm and carriers in each hand. He still had to make a second trip.

She unpacked everything and put it away. He stepped behind her resting his chin on her shoulder as his arms snaked around her waist.

“What do you want to eat?” he asked softly.

“I’m not sure actually. I was thinking a jacket potato with cheese.” She smiled and put her hands on top of his. She turned in his embrace and kissed him slowly.

“Why don’t you go rest for a bit and I cook?” he suggested.

She smiled at him.

“We are fine.” She told him. “I don’t feel a bit tired right now.”

His eyes lit up and she giggled.

“No the baby needs something to eat!” she told him, a hint of reproof in her voice.

He smiled at her and picked her up laying her on the sofa. He handed her the remote and she clicked on the tv. He joined her a little while later carrying a tray with their dinner on. She snuggled next to him feeling the warmth from his body soak through to hers. She was feeling cold again.

He heard her sigh.

“OK?” he asked.

She looked at him and pushed the food away.

“I don’t feel like eating. In fact I don’t feel well.” She told him.

He placed his hand on her forehead.

“You feel a bit cold. “ he commented putting his sandwich to one side while he found the throw and wrapped it around her.

She snuggled closer to him and he pressed his lips to her forehead.

“Better?” he asked worriedly.

She smiled.

“Yes.” She picked up the tray and tried to eat again. A wave of nausea washed over her and she shoved the food to one side racing up the stairs and into the bathroom. He lifted the food away and into the kitchen. Picking up a bottle of water from the fridge he went upstairs and waited outside the bathroom door.

She came out a while later.

“I don’t think the baby likes me.” She said.

He half smiled as he handed her the bottle of water. She opened it and took a long drink. She went downstairs slowly feeling dizzy. Walking equally slowly into the kitchen she opened up the cupboard where she had placed the rice cakes and taking one out she ate it slowly avoiding looking at him. She ate three of the rice cakes plain before sitting back on the sofa. He sat next to her and pulled the throw round her. After a while she fell asleep.

Nic and Geoff walked into the house and saw Ella asleep on the sofa. They went through to the back quietly and saw Roman on the back patio drinking a beer.

“Hey Guys! He said to them.

“Ella not well?” Nic asked him.

Roman nodded.

“What have you two been up to?” he asked them.

Nic grinned.

“We were babysitting Aden and Belle two children. Amy-Belle is so lovely.” She told him still smiling.

“Nic I hope you aren’t planning on surprising me.” Roman told her.

She smiled at Geoff.

“Not yet.” She told her dad.

“So what else do you guys need for your wedding?” Roman asked.

“No you don’t Daddy dearest I am so not stressing tonight.” She told him.

Geoff looked over at her and smiled.

“I wanted the bathroom cleaned.” Roman groaned.

Geoff laughed at the look on Nic’s face.

She thumped him on the arm.

“Geoff!” she muttered.

Geoff sat down and Nic fetched a couple of drinks from the fridge. She handed one to Geoff and he smiled at her.

She sat down with them.

“So what does need doing?” Roman asked.

“Well, we’ve got venue, food, flowers, dress, suits, Stag do and Hen party has been provisionally arranged.” She listed. “You could help me with making the bridesmaids outfits?” she told her dad.

He grinned.

“I don’t think my talents fall into that category. I could do the food for the stag do/hen party?” he offered.

Nic looked at Geoff who nodded.

“Thanks Dad.” She said. “We’d appreciate it.”

He smiled.

“Oh and Ella sorted out the photographer. Did I show you what she did for us?” she asked Geoff.

He shook his head.

“No.” he said to her.

“She took our photos in these cool clothes. And we get to keep them.” Nic told him excitedly. “Ouh!” she muttered. “I didn’t tell you I thought we could do fancy dress for the stag do /Hen party 1960’s and 1970’s theme.”

Geoff laughed.

“Ok, but you get to tell Colleen.” He told her.

She looked at him.

“Did we actually tell her the circus theme was just a joke?” Nic asked worriedly.

Roman laughed.

“So that’s where she got the idea from.” He said.

They looked at him.

“She’s been asking if she should come as clown the other week.” Roman told them.

He looked up and saw that Ella was standing in the doorway.

“Hey.” He said.

“Hi.” She said to them.

“Ella” Nic said in greeting.

“Feeling a bit better?” Roman had to ask.

She smiled at him.

“Only just.” She grinned. “I’m going to go lay down upstairs.”

Roman stood.

She shook her head at him but he just ignored her edict and followed her as she walked slowly up the stairs.

“Don’t you need to go have a beer with Miles or work out at the gym?” she asked him.

He grinned at her.

“I could do or I could give my wife a back massage or a cuddle.” He suggested instead.

Her eyes lit up at the mention of the massage.

He grinned at her.

She pealed off her clothes and lay on the bed.

He poured some unscented oil into his hands to warm it before smoothing it over her back. He worked on her shoulders first easing out the kinks and knots until she relaxed. As he continued the massage he heard Nic and Geoff go into Nic’s room and her giggling. He smiled and wondered how his daughter expected him not to notice Geoff staying over.

“You know you could get a job as a masseuse.” Ella told him.

Roman laughed.

“I’m sure you won’t mind me doing this service for other women.” He told her leaning close and pressing a kiss to the side of her neck.

She giggled.

“No not at all.” She told him. “Much.”

He smiled and worked on her arms and moving down to the small of her back.

She purred.

Roman came back from his early morning run. He grabbed a bottle of water from the fridge and went upstairs. As expected the bathroom was engaged so he went into his bedroom to check on El. She was sitting back against the pillows with her laptop open. He pressed a quick kiss to her lips before walking around the bed and sitting next to her and looking at the screen.

She held her hand out and he passed the bottle of water. She took a long drink before handing it back to him.

“Thanks.” She told him with a smile.

“What have you found?” he asked.

She clicked on the screen and displayed the properties she was looking at.

“This one has a bit of land with it but needs some work doing. I was thinking that we could get the kitchen and bathroom sorted and leave them to do the rest of the house in their own time.”

He kissed her again.

“That sounds good. But is it within our budget?” he looked at her.

She smiled.

“Yes it is, even with doing the kitchen and bathroom.” She told him.

He nodded.

“I will be going over the figures you know.” He grinned.

She nodded.

“I know.” She told him. “Then there is this. It’s an apartment. It has fully fitted kitchen but only two bedrooms.”

He looked carefully at the pictures.

“Think you’ll be up to going and seeing them later?” he asked.

She nodded.

“I feel ok.” she told him. “I might even be up to a little breakfast.”

“Is that a hint that you want me to cook for you?” he asked.

“No. I just want some toast.” She stroked him arm. “I might even get some for you too if you want to take your shower.”

He leaned over and kissed her.

She reached up and stroked his face.

“You need a shave.” She told him.

He grinned.

“Was that a subtle way of telling me to stop kissing you?” He asked.

“Nope, just a comment.” She laughed.

He bent down and kissed her some more. Only stopping when he heard the bathroom door open. He jumped off the bed and raced for possession of the bathroom before another girl could get it!

Ella laughed and stood up from the bed. She went over and shut the door before calling the real estate agents. She made an appointment to view the properties that afternoon. Ringing off she phoned Irene to see if she were available to join them.

“Hay Dawl!” Irene said. “How are you?”

“Seriously, most of the time I feel like crap and the rest of it I’m asleep.” Ella said with a laugh.

“Well what can I do for you?” she asked.

“I have a couple of places to look at this afternoon for Geoff and Nic and I wondered if you would like to come see them with us and give us your opinion.” She told the other woman.

“I would love too. What time?”

Ella told her the time and made arrangements to pick her up before ringing off.

She pulled on her bathrobe and went downstairs to see Ruby standing on the coffee table and Nic pinning together on the other girl a cotton cut out of what the bridesmaid dress would be.

“Wow Nic. Were you up all night?” Ella asked her.

Nic blushed.

“No.” she said quickly.

Ella looked at the other girl.

“I take it from that expression Geoff stay last night?” she asked her.

Nic giggled.

“He did stay for part of the night yes. He went home around midnight. I couldn’t sleep until I’d drawn up my designs and then this morning I wanted to get a start on them.”

Ruby grimaced.

“I was minding my own business eating my breakfast when she attacked me with pins.”

Ella laughed.

“Well it looks very nice even in white cotton. I take it you’ve worked out the pattern?”

Nic smiled.

“I have the template worked out I’m just checking to see if I have to make any changes by working it out with cotton first.” Nic told them.

“Oh, is that what this is? I thought I was a giant voodoo doll.” Ruby grinned at her.

“Ruby I have a lot more pins I can use you know.” Nic threatened her.

Ella laughed at them and went into the kitchen she made a pate of toast and took it through to the back. Roman joined her minutes later and sat next to her. She curled up on the seat and lifted her legs up beside her, He put his arm around her. She rested the toast on the table in front of them and lifted her hand to his face.

“That is better.” She commented with a grin.

He kissed her slowly.

“Really?” he asked.

She nodded.

He reached for a slice of toast and bit into it chewing slowly.

“I phoned and made arrangements to look at them this afternoon. I gave Irene a quick call too and she’ll come with us.”

“You have been busy.” He said to her.

She smiled at him before picking up the toast and eating it trying to ignore his grin at seeing her eat.

“What do you think Irene?” Ella asked her.

“I like this one. It has three bedrooms, which I think will be good. And you are right it could do with a bit of work.” Irene told them.

Roman nodded.

“I have to say I didn’t like the apartment. It may suit a newly married couple but I can’t see Geoff happy there.”

Irene nodded assent.

“So we like this one?” he asked them.

Irene and Ella looked at each other and nodded.

Roman grinned.

“I better go see if I can make an offer then.” He walked over and kissed Ella before heading outside to talk to the agent.

“Now Darl, do you need to sit down?” Irene asked.

Ella looked at her.

“No I can last a while longer.” She told her grinning.

Irene nodded as though she believed her.

“What are they going to do about furniture?” Irene asked.

Ella shrugged.

“If he haggles really well and the Kitchen and the bathroom don't eat the rest of the budget then there might be some left over for a few pieces.” Ella said softly. “Plus Nic can have whatever is in her bedroom.”

Roman came back in.

“Ok, subject to getting a full survey we’ve made a provisional offer and he will take it back to the owners.” He told them.

Ella nodded.

“Well I need to get back.” Irene said quickly.

“Will they give us a chance to get someone out to look at the kitchen and bathroom to give us a quote?” Ella asked.

Roman nodded.

“I’ve already arranged it for tomorrow.”

Ella smiled at him and held out her hand.

He went over to her and hugged her before leading her to the car. Irene following. They said goodbye to the agent and he stayed behind to lock up. Ella looked over the garden. She and Irene exchanged one of those looks that made Roman smile.

He dropped Irene off at the beach house and drove home after. Ella fell asleep on the way back and he carried her out of the car and up the stairs to bed. She sighed and snuggled down on the pillows. He pressed a kiss to her forehead and went over to see Miles, knowing that Ella would only have a go at him for hanging around with her.

“Hello Stranger.” Miles called to him.

“Hey.” Roman said back.

“So what did you get up to in the big bad city?” Miles asked.

Roman grinned and then blushed at Miles’ chuckle.

“How’s Ella?” he asked.

Roman shrugged.

“Can I confess I’m worried about her?” He asked his friend.

Miles nodded.

“I hear you. My wife lost a baby before we had Amber and it was a difficult time.”

Roman nodded, as always he was touched that Miles could talk about his previous life to him, having lost his wife and child in the Boxing Day Tsunami. He could remember being there afterwards and seeing the devastation first hand.

“We were looking at properties today for Nic and Geoff’s wedding present.” Roman changed the subject.

Miles went into the kitchen and started making a coffee.

“Wow.” Miles whistled. “The diner must be paying you too much money.”

Roman laughed.

“I took out an insurance policy for Nic when I was, well anyway it’s matured and we can just about afford this place. I’m trying really hard not to use Ella’s money.” Roman explained.

“Can I ask why?” Miles said placing a coffee in front of the other man.

“Well according to Ella it will be my stupid macho pride but she earned it so it’s not fair that I live off it. If she wants to spend it on the house, ours not Nic’s that is, then fine and the occasional treat.” Roman grinned at the expression on Miles face. “Yes I know I’m an alpha male. The scary thing is that Mike has a trust fund that pays for his boarding school and pretty much can buy him anything he wants.”

Miles grinned.

“He said something to Ollie about buying a new surfboard and if Ollie wanted his old one.” Miles said. “I told Ollie no, but on second thoughts.”

Roman grinned and took a drink of the coffee.

“Any purchase has to be cleared with Ella and at the moment I don’t think that will go down well. He blew off another weekend and it upset her.”

“And of course you are ticked off with him because it upset her.”

Roman shrugged.

“I leave him to Ella. I know I should probably get more involved with him but he’s pretty much been the only male presence in her life and I want him to get used to me first. I’m worried about how he’s going to take news of the baby.”

Miles looked at him.

“When did you become Mr Sensitive?” he asked.

Roman laughed.

“When she put a ring on my finger.” He told his friend. “But don’t worry it only lasts a short while and then I’m the same idiot as always.”

He and Miles looked at each other before they both started laughing.

Ella looked over at Roman across the table.

“Another message?” he asked.

She nodded and handed the phone over.

“Don’t want to come this we. Busy. Mike.” He read.

“Ok. That’s interesting.” He said raising his eyebrow at her. “What are you going to do?” he asked.

She looked at him.

“Sorry, I’m counting to ten here.” She told him with a grimace after a few minutes silence.

She went into the lounge and dialled a number. After a moment she started speaking.

“Hello this is Elizabeth Harris can I speak to Mr Moore please?”

She waited a moment and was transferred.

“How may I help Mrs Harris?” he said to her.

“I had intended to be collecting my son this weekend for a visit home but I’ve just had a text from him to say that he is doing a school thing. Is this true?” She said softly.

“There is nothing planned for this weekend and as you are aware we would write to you and let you know in advance.” Her son’s form tutor told her.

“That’s what I thought. Please tell my son I will be there to collect him at the usual time this afternoon. And may I suggest that you also inform him if he finds somewhere else to be I will be withdrawing him from school and enrolling him in a special program.” She told him.

He gasped.

“I’m sure we can sort something out Mrs Harris.” He said hastily.

“Yes I’m sure something will be sorted out.” She said haughtily. “Please ensure my son is ready for collection this afternoon.”

She hung up the phone and saw Roman grinning.

“What?” she said.

“Very sneaky Mrs Harris.” He said holding out his hand.

She took hold of it and went into his arms.

“I needed this.” She told him.

He stroked her hair and lent down and kissed her.

“What do you want to do until we have to leave and pick him up?” Roman asked.

“I said I would go shopping with Nic in Yabbie Creek.” She told him.

He smiled.

“Want a chauffeur?” he asked.

She looked at him.

“You shopping?”

He nodded.

“I’m pretty handy carrying bags too.” He told her with a smile.

He bent his head and kissed her slowly just as Nic joined them.

“Do you two ever stop doing that?” she asked grumpily.

“What’s the matter Nic, are you feeling frustrated?” Ella asked her.

The other girls blushed and stormed past them into the kitchen.

“I so cannot believe you asked me that in front of my dad.” She muttered.

Ella laughed and looked up at Roman who had gone pale followed by an interesting shade of red. She giggled.

“Come on.” He told them picking up his keys and heading out.

Ella checked she had her wallet in her pocket and her phone.

“Nic come on.” She called. “You’re dad is driving us.”

Nic walked out of the kitchen and looked at her.

“He’s going now, but the kitchen is a mess?” she asked.

“I wanted to get an early start so I distracted him.” Ella told her.

“When you asked me…” Nic said trailing off. “You are sneaky.” She told her.

Ella nodded.

“A girl has to do what a girl has to do…” she told her laughing. “And this girl wants to shop.”

Nic laughed and picked up her handbag on the way out.

“Is that the place Nic?” Ella asked pointing to the boutique Nic had gone for an interview.

Nic nodded.

“I pretty much convinced them I was an idiot.” She said.

Ella laughed and handed her bags to Roman. She took the bags from Nic and put those with him too.

“Come on.” She said and took Nic’s hand

“Ella I can’t.” she said.

“Trust me Nic.”

Nic looked at her dad who was grinning.

“Just do it Nic.” He advised.

Nic laughed, nervously.

She pushed open the door and walked over to the racks. She went through the inventory, occasionally pulling out an item and looking at it. Eventually after a couple of minutes a sales assistant came to see her.

“Is there something in particular Madam is looking for?” she asked.

“Yes, is the manager of the shop in today?” Ella asked her. She could feel Nic take a hesitant step back and she turned and looked over at her. Nic raised her chin and met the curious look of the sales assistant.

“She is madam. Is there a problem?”

Ella looked at her.

“If there was I wouldn’t waste my time telling you. Please ask your manager to step forward.” Ella said. “Thank you.” She added.

The assistant wandered off and came back moments later with the manager.

“Can I help?” she asked Ella.

“I’m not sure.” Ella said. “Is this the person who interviewed you?” she asked Nic.

Nic nodded.

Ella extended her hand and the manager took it and shook it briefly puzzled.

“I’m Elizabeth Addison.” She introduced herself.

The woman paused for a minute before recognition of the name hit her.

“The photographer?” she asked.

Ella nodded.

“Yes. This is my step-daughter Nicole.” She introduced her. “She told me about your store and how kind you were to her the day of her interview. As you can understand she was quite nervous and the migraine medication made her woozy. It was the Locum doctor’s fault. He prescribed something she doesn’t normally take and well it had an impact.”

The woman nodded.

“Anyway Nicole told me how nice the boutique was and how she would have loved to be part of your designer apprenticeship but well since she didn’t get the position, well we are thinking of backing her first collection ourselves. “ Ella continued.

“To be honest we didn’t fill the vacancy.” The manager told her. “We are re-advertising.”

Ella nodded understandingly.

“Well that is interesting. Perhaps you will re-interview Nicole? She is currently designing her friends bridesmaids dresses but perhaps there will be time for her to come in.” She told her. “And of course I would be grateful.”

The woman laughed.

“I understand. How are you fixed for tomorrow afternoon at three?” she asked Nicole.

“That would be perfect.” Nic said her first words during the entire conversation. “May I bring my portfolio?” she asked.

During the last interview she had been unable to present her work as an example of what she could do.

The woman nodded.

Ella smiled.

“Thank you for your time this morning.” She said and led Nicole outside.

“Ella.” Nic said in shock.

She laughed at the girl.

“Wear the Chanel, draw up some fab designs and you’ll get the job. You know you can do it.” she told her encouragingly.

Nic went up to her dad and told him what Ella had done seeing him laugh. She smiled at him.

“We need to get some lunch.” Ella declared.

He grinned.

“Diner?” he asked.

She nodded.

“Nic?” she asked.

“I have an interview.” Nic said in shock.

Ella laughed and put her arms around Nic.

“Yes sweetie, but would you like some lunch? At the diner?” she asked her bringing her focus back to them.

Nic nodded.

“Have we finished shopping?” Ella asked everyone.

Roman glanced down at all the bags he was holding.

“I hope so.” He told them.

Nic and El looked at each other and grinned.

They walked back to where the car was parked and Roman put the shopping in the back with Nic before driving them to the diner.

“Hey Darl!” Irene greeted them.

“Hey.” El said.

They went over and sat at a table and Irene came over a moment later and took their order. She brought it over when it was ready and they started eating. Roman paused and took his phone out of his pocket.

“Excuse me.” He said when he looked at the caller display and went outside to answer the call.

Nic looked at Ella.

“Something going on?” she asked.

Ella shrugged.

“Not that I know of.” She said.

He came back to the table grinning and sat back down and started eating.

Ella looked at her watch.

“We need to set off soon if we are to pick up Mike.” She cautioned.

Roman nodded.

They stood and paid before walking out, Nic following behind.

“I can get some work done this afternoon on the dresses.” She said to them. “Where is he going to sleep?” she suddenly asked remembering that Ruby was using his room.

“Won’t hurt him to crash on the sofa it’s only 2 nights.” Ella said. “Or he can make up with Ollie and stay over there.” Her tone was angry.

Roman caught her hand as they walked back to the car and gave it a squeeze. She looked at him for a moment before smiling.

“Well I’m sure Ruby won’t mind sharing with me?” Nic suggested.

“We’ll see.” Ella said.

They arrived back at the house and Roman unloaded the car while Ella went and got changed. She walked down the stairs in patent high heels a keen length black skirt and a pink blouse. She also carried a matching handbag. Nic whistled and he took that as sign that something was designer label. Maybe he would read up on fashion he thought. But in secret, in a very tight closely guarded secret that no one would ever find out.

She tucked her hair up and pinned it in a perfect bun at the back of her neck. Pulling a glasses case out of her handbag she added a pair of Gucci sunglasses to the ensemble.

Nic purred.

Ella chuckled.

“Nicole. No.” she said two words and walked out to the car.

He looked at his clothes and ran upstairs to change too, coming down in a pair of black trousers and a black long sleeve shirt.

So his wife came down looking amazing and he looked like a reject from the matrix, he thought with a grin.

“See you later.” He said to Nic, walking out the door. He turned and looked back at her.

“And if you can tidy the kitchen for me I’ll forget I bumped into Geoff early this morning.” He said to her.

She blushed but he was gone before she could say anything.

They walked through the school to the Form Masters office. Mike was sitting on a chair outside tapping his foot on the floor. Ella didn’t even acknowledge him as she knocked on the door and went in.

“Mrs Harris.” The form master greeted her. “As you can see Mike is ready for collection.”

“Thank you. Have you met my husband?” she asked and saw the man shake his head. “This is Roman Harris.” She introduced them. “He may be collecting Mike by himself if we manage to resolve the issues this weekend.” She warned.

He nodded.

“Of course. Perhaps I could show you the school sometime.” He suggested.

Roman nodded.

“That would be good.” He said.

They turned and went out to collect Mike.

He stood and looked at his bag.

“Pick it up Mike.” Ella told him. “You can carry your own bag to the car.”

He muttered something under his breath and bent to pick up his bag. They went to the car and he slung it on the back seat before climbing in. Ella walked up to him and caught hold of the door before he could slam it shut.

“Do and I will slap you. “ she warned. “And the next time you call me a b*tch do it to my face. You do not say a word until we get in and then you will sit on the sofa. We are going to talk!” She told him pleasantly.

She closed the door and walked around to the driver’s side. Roman handed her the keys with a grin and she got behind the wheel of the car while he went to the passenger side. She handed him the handbag and he tucked it by his feet before they set off.

They walked into the house and Ella went upstairs to get changed. She came down and looked for Mike.

“He’s putting his bag in his room.” Roman told her.

He came storming down the stairs and stood in front of her.

“So were you planning to tell me.” He said straight out. “There is a bunch of stupid girls stuff all over my room.” He shouted.

“Mike.” She said angrily and took hold of his arm.

He pulled away from her and in the scuffle she fell back and thumped against the kitchen door. His failing arm accidentally caught her in the stomach and she gasped in pain.

“Ella.” Roman said catching hold of her. He lifted her to the sofa.

“Get Rachel.” she gasped doubling up in pain.

“El its ok.” he said to her, grabbing his phone. He dialled the number and waited for Rachel to answer.

“Mum?” Mike said hesitantly.

Roman looked at him.

“I want you to go out back and sit out there.” He told him. “I’m too angry to deal with you right now.”

Mike looked at his mum with tears in his eyes and slowly turned and went.

“Roman.” Rachel answered finally.

“Rachel we need you, El took a bad knock and is in pain.” He said.

“Bring her straight to the hospital. We’ll do a scan.” Rachel said calmly.

“See you in 10.” He said.

He lifted Ella and took her out to the car, returning to the house to pick up a throw.

He walked out back and looked at Mike.

“Come on. I have to get your Mum to the hospital.“ He told him.

Mike followed him out and climbed into the passenger seat. Roman put the throw over her in the back.

Roman drove quickly and lifted her out of the car carrying her to the examination room that the nurse directed him too.

She lay back on the bed.

“How is it El?” he said.

“Still hurts but is ok.” she said.

He grinned.

“Liar.” He said.

“Where is Mike?” she asked.

“In the corridor.” Roman told her as Rachel walked in.

“Out.” Rachel instructed him.

He nodded and kissed Ella.

“What happened?” Rachel asked.

Ella told her.

“Ok.” Rachel said calmly. “How about describing the pain for me?” she asked.

Ella looked a t her.

“Well Rachel, it appears to be like pain and I want to scream.” Ella said. “Does that describe it enough?”

“Ha ha.” She said. “I meant a general pain from a fall or a cramp or squeezing sensation.”

“Its general pain. It’s not a cramp. And I still want to scream.”

“I think this is a muscular reaction to the fall against the door rather than the pregnancy. I’m going to do an exam and then get the ultra sound in here ok.”

Ella gritted her teeth and nodded.

Rachel reached out and squeezed her hand.

“Hold in there Ella.” She said softly.

“I didn’t mean to hit her.” Mike said finally.

“Why are you really angry?” Roman asked him.

Mike looked up.

“Because all she does is stupid girl stuff and now she’s pregnant it’ll be even worse.” He said.

“She’s my mum.”

“And you’ll deny her being happy because you are jealous.” He asked.

Mike shook his head.

“I didn’t expect you to understand.”

“Is that because I’m not a super brain like you?” Roman said in a deadly tone of voice.

“No. Its because you are her husband. You are going to think you got the best end of the deal. When did she last go and do a photography assignment? I bet she hasn’t even bought her surfboard to the bay.” He said bitterly. “She’s not this person. She’s cool and all you’ve done is trap her with a stupid baby.”

“You are very good with the guilt trips aren’t you, boy?” Roman said. “Just for your information. Your mother could have at any time bought her surfboard here. It would have been fun to go out with her. As for the baby, we both wanted it. If she wants to go off and take photos she can. No one is stopping her.”

Mike flushed.

Roman realised he had used the past tense in reference to the baby and grimaced. He looked up and saw that Rachel had come out of the room.

He stood and went over to her.

“It ok. It’s a muscle spasm caused by the push against the door. I’ve given her a couple of tablets. You can take her home but she needs to rest.” She told him.

Roman grinned in relief.

He went into the room and helped her stand. She was able to walk to the car and he put her in the back. Mike once more got in the front and they went home. He helped her out and into the house. Mike walking slowly behind.

She turned and pointed to the sofa and he reluctantly put her there. She pointed to the other sofa and Mike sat down on it. She didn’t say anything for a long time.

“I am disappointed in you.” She said finally. “I thought you were better than to be jealous. I have given you my attention and love for the past 11 years and you begrudge me some happiness because I suddenly have other interests. What the hell would you have done if I’d married Dane? “ She asked him.

Roman’s head snapped up at that. He wanted to interrupt with the question about who exactly was Dane.

Mike said nothing.

“I asked you a question now you answer me.” She shouted.

Mike’s head snapped up.

“Dane was different.” He said.

“Why?” She said.

“Because he wouldn’t have gotten you pregnant.” He said at last.

“Because he was in a wheelchair?” she laughed. “He could still function.” She told him.

Mike blushed.

“You never do anything cool anymore. It’s always Summer Bay and him and I hate it. I hate you and I hate the stupid baby.” Mike shouted at her.

She saw Roman take a step closer but she held up her hand.

“We wouldn’t be in Summer Bay if it wasn’t for you Mike and I asked you before we got married so I do not accept your reasoning. From the evidence you are jealous of the baby. I won’t accept your behaviour so here it is. For hitting me today Roman will decide the punishment. For the attitude you will lose the phone for a month and no Internet access. You will be home every weekend from school until the end of term when Roman and I will decide if we will remove you from the boarding school and enrol you in summer bay high.” She said. “And for your information we were planning on telling you about the baby three weeks ago but you decided that you didn’t want to come home so the fact you learnt about it from someone else is your own fault. Now I’m going to bed and if I hear one word about your behaviour we will be having another discussion that you will not like. Do I make myself clear?”

Mike nodded.

“I didn’t hear that.” She said.

“Yes.” He said sullenly.

She looked over at him.

“I can wait hear all day until you show me some respect. The fact you just had to come to the hospital with me should have highlighted the seriousness of your actions. Now what do you want to say?”

He looked at her a blaze of anger in his eyes.

“I understand Mother.” He said clearly.

She nodded and stood up. She walked over to him and slapped him hard round the face.

“That is the response you deserve, Now I’m done being nice. Get out of my sight until you are ready to apologise and you will not be going back to that boarding school.” She said angrily.

“No.” he screamed at her and jumped up.

“Sit down.” Roman said clearly. “I will not tolerate this behaviour.” He said and pushed the boy down on the sofa.

Ella looked at Mike.

“Are you so stupid that you can’t see what your own actions are costing you? I am ashamed of you.” She looked at Roman. “Make arrangements for him to sleep somewhere else tonight I do not want him in the same house as me.” She said and turned and walked up the stairs.

Roman walked into the kitchen and pulled a beer out of the fridge.

He looked at the boy.

“I thought you were a super-brain.” He told him. “What you did was pretty dumb.”

Mike looked at him without speaking.

“To p*ss off your mother? And in such a way that you annoy me?” Roman took a long swallow of the beer.

Mike looked at him and swallowed.

“Why don’t you ask me about Dane?” he taunted Roman.

“Because I don’t need to know. Your mother is married to me and expecting my baby.” Roman grinned at him.

Mike backed down at the reminder.

Roman swallowed the remainder of the beer.

“Move off that sofa and I will slap you.” Ramon warned him, hoping that the boy wouldn’t call his bluff.

He went through the back and into the storeroom lifting out the tent. It was in a black holdall and he put it in the back garden and took it out of the canvas bag and started to erect it. He stood back and looked at his handy work once he’d finished. He lifted out the lamp and tested it before he put it in the tent.

He went back into the house and saw that Mike had not moved off the sofa.

“Thank you.” He told him.

Mike looked up.

“Now come with me.” Roman instructed.

Mike stood and followed. Roman pointed to the tent in the back garden.

“I’ll be getting the sleeping bag out and you can spend the night in that. I want you were I can keep an eye on you.” Roman told him.

Mike looked at him and launched himself at him. Roman caught him and hugged the boy back.

“Cool enough for you?” he asked.

Mike nodded.

“So do you think you owe your mother an apology?” Roman asked him.

“I didn’t mean to hurt her.” He said tears in his eyes.

“I know Mike. That’s why she told me to decide the punishment. I think she wanted us to have a chat too. She’s not been very well because of the baby and if everything were going ok we wouldn’t have gone to the hospital but we’ve both been worried. I know that it’s been a lot of changes for you but you were happy about them a while ago. Has somebody been saying something at school?” he asked him.

“Ollie send me text saying something about the baby. It was only a joke but they blue toothed my phone and it went round the whole school.” He confessed.

“So that has caused the attitude?” Roman asked.

Mike nodded.

“It was something about me not being needed now she was having a baby of her own. I know Ollie send it as a joke but ..” he trailed off.

Roman took Mike into his arms and gave him a quick hug.

“Go up and see your Mum.” He said to him.

Mike went up the stairs and into the bedroom.

“Mum?” he said hesitantly.

“Come here.” She told him patting the bed.

He lay next to her and she hugged him.

He started crying.

“I didn’t mean to hurt the baby.” He said.

“We’re ok.” she said. “You are still my son and I won’t stop loving you ever.” She stroked his head and kissed him.

After a long moment he looked a t her.

“I hate it when you get in my head.” he told her.

She grinned.

“How else is your poor old mother going to keep up with your Super-brain?” she asked.

“Ha.” He grumbled.

“So what is your dad doing to you tonight?” she asked him.

“I’m sleeping in a tent in the garden.”

“Oh great. That’s supposed to be a punishment?” she grinned.

“Well I won’t have my phone so I can’t order pizza.” He said.

“Yum pizza. The only food the baby doesn’t hate.”

“Well of course!” he said, “It is your baby!” he laughed.

“Cheeky.” She told him.

“Mum I am really sorry. I would have hated myself if anything happened to you or the baby because of me.” He said softly.

“I know.” She said to him. She looked over in the doorway and saw Roman waiting for them and she nodded to him, and he walked in.

“Ok?” he asked.

She nodded.

He grinned at them.

He lay next to Mike on the bed.

“You know that we’ve done the paperwork to adopt you.” Roman said to him. “If you want us to stop for a while until you are happier we can.”

Mike shook his head.

“No, I want to be a Harris.” He told them.

“I have a couple of sleeping bags, you could ask Ollie if he wanted to sleep over.” Roman suggested.

Mike looked at his mum and saw that she nodded.

“You can have the phone until Sunday night then it stays here for the week.” She told him.

He reached over and kissed her on the cheek before racing off and seeing if Ollie wanted to come over.

Roman looked at Ella.

“Did I pass your test?” he asked.

She nodded.

“Gold star.” She murmured.

“Who is Dane, out of interest?” he asked causally.

“I was engaged before but it didn’t work out. He’d had an accident and was in a wheelchair, I met him at the hospital when I had to take Suzanne, Jennie’s Mum.” She said.

“But he was functional?” Roman asked jealously.

She grinned.

“Yes. He wasn’t in a place where he could take on Mike so we decided that it was better to end it rather than struggle.” She shrugged. “I wasn’t as hurt as I expected to be by the decision.”

He reached out and kissed her slowly.

“His loss my gain.” Roman grinned.

“Hey!” she said pushing at him. “I’m sharing my pain and you laugh?”

“Can’t help feeling smug right now.” Roman told her. “I’ve got the girl!”

“Uh huh.” She said.

“And well that is one name from your post it note.” He added and moved off the bed quickly before she hit him.

“I’m sure Ollie and Mike will enjoy sharing the tent with you tonight.” She shouted at him.

Roman grinned as he lifted the sleeping bags from the wardrobe.

“You wouldn’t do that to me I know how to …” he looked over at her and raised an eyebrow.

“Order your favourite pizza.” He finished.

She looked at him for a long moment.

“Many men know how to order my favourite pizza.” She told him softly. “Please close the door on your way out.”

He looked at her quickly and walked out pulling the door shut. It caught a draft and slammed. At least that was the excuse he would use if anyone asked.

The weekend passed in a blur of kids and chaos. The girls celebrated Nic getting the job in the boutique with a sleepover where she gave them both facials and fittings of their dresses. Ollie and Mike stayed in the tent and played soldiers and Ella gave Roman the silent treatment. It also meant that there was now only 2 weeks until the wedding. He’d dropped Mike off back at School and the boy had looked around checking none of his mates could see before giving Roman a hug.

Roman walked into the bedroom and looked at Ella fast asleep in the bed. Or at least pretending to be so she didn’t have to glare at him so much. The slamming of the door was an accident, he kept saying, mainly to himself.

“Ella.” He called softly.

She stirred in the bed and opened her eyes sleepily.

“What?” she asked.

“We need to go to the bank and sign the papers for the house.” He told her sitting on the bed beside her.

“Can’t you do it?” she asked. “It’s your money.”

He shook his head.

“No it’s from both of us remember, and anyway the money transfer is from our joint account so we both have to be there.”

She groaned.

“How about tomorrow?” she asked.

“Well we could do it tomorrow but the builder might be annoyed at me rushing him to do the job and then telling him he can’t start.” He said softly.

She eased up in the bed.

“I hate you.” She told him and grumpily climbed out from underneath the covers and walking into the bathroom.

He heard further muttering from the bathroom and waited until she came out.

“Out.” She ordered, “I want to get dressed in peace.”

“How can you still be mad at me?” he asked folding his arms across his chest.

“I’m not. This morning I’m grumpy because you woke me up.” She told him.

“And what will be this afternoon’s excuse.”

“I don’t know yet, I’m still working on being grumpy.”

“Uh huh. “ he said and stood up moving quickly towards her.

She backed up and came up against the wardrobe.

He pinned her against the cool wood and pulled off the towel. He caressed her slowly before lifting her chin up and pressed his lips to hers. He moaned when he felt her hands on his waist pulling at his shirt to slide underneath to caress him.

“Do you like that?” she asked him softly.

He nodded.

“Well if you want me to do it ever again leave me to get dressed in peace.” She muttered and pushed him away.

“Ella.” He protested.

“That bank remember.” She told him.

He grinned and walked out.

“You have ten minutes.” He told her, now feeling grumpy himself.

She came down exactly 12 minutes later and grabbed a bottle of water from the fridge before walking out of the house and to the car. He followed and drove them to their bank. They signed the papers and had the deeds drawn up in Nic’s name, but they were told it would just be a simple matter to add or amend the title deeds.

They collected the keys and had a couple of extras cut before going and letting the builder in. They had already provisionally discussed what they wanted but went over the plans with him before leaving him to work and heading to the diner.

“Hello Darls” Irene called when she saw them.

“Hey Irene.” Ella called to her.

She moved over to a table and Irene came over.

“We signed for the house today its all gone through.” Ella told her.

“They’ll be chuffed to flaming bits.” Irene said.

Roman looked at Ella and smiled at her.

“We have spare key if you want to go over and take another look at it.” she said to the other woman.

“The builders are in at the moment. They are working on the kitchen first and then refitting the bathroom.” Roman said.

“I’ve been thinking and I can’t quite afford the same as you but I did think that I could buy them a double bed and wardrobes.” Irene said.

“Sounds great. “ Ella said. “I’m sure they will love it.”

Roman chuckled.

“You are aware of course Irene just how many clothes Nic has aren’t you?” he asked her.

“I’ve a fair idea Darl, a few have them have been seen at mine recently.” She grinned. “She’s given them to Annie.”

Ella chuckled.

“It’ll get worse now she has that job they have a huge staff discount.” She said to them.

“Has someone warned Geoff?” Roman asked semi-seriously.

Ella looked over at him with a ‘don’t be silly dear’ expression on her face.

He grinned at her and then frowned as she looked away from him.

“Do you want anything to eat or drink?” Irene asked them.

“I need a coffee. What about you Ella?” he asked.

“Nothing for me. If you are going to have a coffee I’ll take walk outside.” She told him.

He caught hold of her hand.

“I can get a coffee at home.” He suggested instead.

She tugged on her hand.

“Its fine, have a coffee here I just want some fresh air and to stretch my legs.” She half smiled at him before standing up and going outside.

“I don’t know what you did Darl but can I suggest flowers.” Irene told him.

“I don’t know what I did either.” He admitted with a shrug.

“Do you want that coffee to go?” she asked.

He shook his head.

“I will follow my orders and drink it here.” He smiled at Irene.

She chuckled and brought his coffee over moments later. He drank it slowly and then stood clearing the table of his cup on the way out.

“See you Irene.” He called out.

“Bye Darl.” She replied.

He saw Ella sitting on the beach and went over to her.

“Hey.” He said softly.

“Hey yourself.” She replied.

“Ella can you please tell me what’s going on?” he asked finally.

“I shared something with you and you dismissed it like it was nothing. I was nearly married Roman. That was a deep commitment I made.”

“I’m sorry.” He said. “I had no idea that hurt you.”

She looked over at him, scooping sand into her hand and letting it trail through her fingers.

“So I’m upset and you ignore that. You expect me to carry on and that makes it seem worse.”

She added.

“Ella, I’ve said I’m sorry. I really didn’t mean you to think that I was insensitive to your feelings. Obviously I know you wouldn’t have made a decision like that lightly.“ Roman told her.

He looked out to sea.

“And Mike was right. I have become this other person. I take pictures of Nic and everybody but I should be out doing my real photography.” She groaned.

“So are you saying that you are unhappy with me?” he forced himself to ask.

She looked down.

“Right now I am.” She said finally.

He stood and walked a little way off looking out at the crashing waves for a long time before turning and walking back to her.

“So where do we go from here?” he asked.

“Literally or figuratively?” she asked back.

He tried to grin but it didn’t quite work. His facial muscles didn’t want to obey the command.

“Is there a difference?” he said.

She nodded.

“I need to go home to bed I’m really tired. And as for where we go well we can’t upset Nic before her wedding so we have no where to go for two weeks at least.”

He groaned at the time limit she had just put on their marriage.

She stood up and began walking back to the car. He waited a moment before following. He climbed behind the wheel and drove them home.

Once inside she went up to bed. He waited for a long moment before deciding that he needed to go for a run. He went and got changed seeing that she had fallen asleep almost immediately. He pulled a cover over her before walking out and setting off for a long run.

Nic and Geoff sat together going through the RSVP list and seeing who had responded. They had a list of forty names already.

“Better add Darren Hughes to the list.” he said. “He sent me a text message saying he could come after all.”

She flinched.

He caught the movement out of the corner of his eye.

“What is it?” he asked.

“Nothing. I need to go I just remembered I have to do something for Ella.” She invented.

“Nic?” he asked.

She dropped the planner to the table and raced out of the door. She ran all the way home panting with effort by the time she went in through the door. She ran upstairs and straight into their bedroom.

“Ella.” She said waking her up.

“Nic?” Ella said softly. “What is it?” she sat up and held out her arms to her.

Nic rushed over to the bed and held her as she began crying.

“Come on honey it’s not that bad.” She said to her stroking her hair.

Nic looked at her, tears falling unchecked down her face.

“It is that bad. It’s horrible and I can’t tell him.” she sobbed.

Ella pushed aside the cover and drew Nic into the bed with her pulling the cover back over them. She held the other girl until she stopped crying.

“Suppose you tell me now.” Ella suggested.

“It was late and I’d had a few glasses of wine. He thought.” She stopped and moaned. “That I would be willing. But I’d changed. I only wanted Geoff. He pushed me down. I couldn’t fight him.” she gasped and started crying again.

“Ok sweetheart. It’s all going to be ok.” Ella said to her.

She stroked her hair and kissed the top of her head before putting her arms tight around her.

“Did he..” Ella began the question.

She felt a powerful sob tear through Nic.

“No.” she said finally. “I pushed him away and then I hit him. I got to my feet and ran away.”

“It is ok Nic.” Ella told her again, feeling her tremble.

“No because he’s coming to the wedding.” Nic admitted finally. “And anyway who is going to believe me? I was the town tramp.” She muttered.

“Nicole. I couldn’t care less if you were lap dancing in the surf club it no one deserves that.” Ella told her. “And anyway so what if you have a few notches on your bedpost. You are not your past young lady you are a wonderful beautiful woman about to marry the man of your dreams and I dare anyone to say anything different.”

Nic started crying even harder and Ella held her, feeling that she needed to get this out of her system.

After she had quieted down again.

“You need to tell him. He has the right to know. He needs to know Nic.” She told her. “I’ll come with you and tell him if you like.” Ella offered.

Nic sniffed.

“Will you?” she asked.

“Of course I will.” Ella said to her.

Nic stood up slowly and went into the bathroom to wash her face with Ella waiting outside the bathroom for her. They drove over tot he beach house and went inside.

“Nic?” Geoff asked. “Are you ok?”

She nodded.

“I’m sorry Geoff.” She said. “I’m so sorry.” She said again.

“Nic, its ok.” he said but inside he was thinking and praying that she hadn’t changed her mind about marrying him.

She sank onto the sofa and he sat on the table. He held out his hand but she looked over at Ella.

Ella came and sat next to her putting her arm around her feeling her shoulders shake with renewed sobs.

“Please don’t tell me you’ve changed your mind Nic.” He said to her finally. “I love you.” He added, unaware of how desperate that sounded.

“I’m sorry. I haven’t changed my mind but you might.” She said in a horse whisper.

“Nic please.” He begged, “Please just tell me.”

“He attacked me.” She said and burst into tears.

Geoff felt an unfamiliar rage curl up in his stomach.

“Who?” he asked her.

“Darren Hughes.” She whispered. “He said no one would believe me I was the town whore.”

Geoff reached out and took hold of Nic hands. He waited until he finally looked at him.

“Nic I love you. I believe you.” He said.

She gasped and started crying again.

“Did you hear me Nic, I believe you and it’s not your fault. You don’t deserve to feel like this.” Geoff said emotionally.

She looked at him again.

Ella stood and kissed Nic.

“I’ll leave you two to talk. You know where I am if you need anything daughter.” She told her.

Nic looked up. She was still too emotional to express her thanks but she nodded. Geoff moved over to the sofa and put his arms around her.

“Did he hurt you?” Geoff asked.

She shook her head.

“Not in that way. But ..” she trailed off. “He didn’t ..” she tried to explain.

“It ok, Nic, you’ve told me. I understand. When you are ready if you need to tell me more I’ll be here to listen.” He whispered. “But it won’t change how much I love you.” He said. “I want to say nothing will ever change that but I suspect that I will love you more the longer we are together.”

She gasped and snuggled close to him needing his strength and warmth right then.

“Hey.” Ella said.

“Hey.” Roman replied. “I wasn’t sure where you’d gone.” He added, not mentioning that he’d checked the wardrobe to make sure her clothes were still there.

She smiled.

“Nic had a thing and needed me.” She explained.

He nodded, wondering if he told her that he needed her what would she do or say.

She walked up the stairs and lay back on the bed. He waited a heartbeat before following her.

“Ella. I can’t wait two weeks in limbo. So if you are going to leave me then you need to do it now.” He said to her, not meeting her gaze.

“Fine I’ll get packed. “ she said softly.

He nodded and walked back down the stairs. He paused on the bottom step wondering what he was going to do without her. He waited there a long time before walking out the front door and into his car. He drove around for an hour hoping she would be gone by the time he got back and then hoping that she would still be there. Finally he went home and in through the door.

He saw that candles had been lit, placed on the stairs and he walked up the steps slowly and followed the candles, going into their bedroom.

She was in bed reading a book waiting for him.

“I’m not happy doesn’t mean I’m giving up on us you idiot.” She said to him.

He grinned and ran over to the bed drawing her into his arms.

“I was so scared you would be gone.” He muttered.

She thumped him on the arm.

“You idiot.” She said again. “What about fighting for us? Or you know telling me it will work out.”

“You are mad at me.” He said grinning.

“Mad? No, I’m not mad, I’m bloody furious.”

“Even better.” His grin got wider. “Ella you scared me so much today, I thought I’d lost you.”

“Oh yeah, why the heck would I still call this home if I were even thinking about leaving you? And how could I walk away carrying our baby?” she asked him.

“I don’t know. I just heard that you were unhappy and I thought that leaving me would be the way to make you happy. It seemed to make sense.” He shrugged.

“To you maybe but I didn’t even think that.” She said her tone still angry with him.

“So if you weren’t planning on leaving why did you say you would get packed?” he asked.

“To take that very big knife you had just poked in me and stick it back in you.” She muttered. “Somehow I expected you to rip the suitcase out of my hand if I even thought about reaching for it.”

He grinned.

“I needed this Ella.” He said. “I needed you to thump me and get mad at me. It tells me you still care.”

“I do I’m just not in a place where I can say those words to you. I’m upset that I’m not doing more of my stuff and I didn’t even miss it until this weekend. I’m fed up with feeling unwell because of the baby. And I’m scared that ... well I’m scared. And you really hurt me this weekend.” She said.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean too.” He said softly.

“I’m sure you didn’t but it doesn’t help me much right now.” She put the book to one side and stood up. She blew out the candles and went down the stairs doing likewise with those on the stairs, before making her way to the kitchen.

He followed and stood in the doorway.

“I could cook us a meal.” He suggested.

She looked at him.

“Except I’m not hungry enough. I just want some cheese on toast.” She said.

“I’m very good with toast.“ he said.

She turned and put her hands on her hips.

“I don’t want your toast. I don’t want you to even talk to me right now.” She told him.

He nodded understanding and walked over to her. He pulled her into his arms feeling her try to pull away. He bent his head and kissed her.

“I know.” He said finally. “You don’t want my kisses.”

She looked at him through her lashes.

“Oh I wouldn’t go that far.” She said.

He grinned and kissed her again feeling her arms wrap around his neck.

Archived