A Summer Bay Wedding

Guest TelephotoMarigold

Ella made herself some breakfast and sat outside to eat it. She heard Mike coming back on his bike.

“Where have you been young man?” she asked him a smile on her face.

He came and sat next to her.

“Just wanted to go for a ride.” He grinned.

“I was think we take our boards to the beach and hang out today. What do you think?”

Mike nodded.

“Sounds great.” He said.

She bit into her toast and offered him her spare slice. He took it and devoured it faster that she ate hers.

“I think Roman might want to hang too.” She murmured.

Mike nodded.

“I’ll go get changed.” He said to her and leaned over and kissed her on the cheek.

Roman passed him in the lounge and went and sat next to her.

“Morning.” He said with a grin.

“Hey sleepy.” She smiled at him

He sat next to her and picked up her cup draining the coffee.

“So does our son want to hang with us?” he asked and watched as she nodded.

“He’s gone to get changed. I take it you have a wetsuit.” She asked him.

Roman nodded.

“I think you might be surprised by the equipment I have.”

She grinned at him and he blushed.

“That is not what I meant and you know it.“ He grumbled at her.

She leaned into him and pressed a kiss to his lips.

“Go get ready Action Man.” She teased.

She stood up and took her crockery through to the kitchen before making her way up the stairs to get changed.

Roman made his way to the kitchen and poured out some coffee. He drank it slowly, draining the cup before he went upstairs to get changed. Ella was sitting on the bed looking at her wetsuit.

“Hey.” He said to her in greeting. Going over to the dresser he opened a drawer and pulled out his board shorts.

She looked at him.

“Are those Speedo’s?” she asked quickly.

He looked in the drawer.

“Yes.“ He said quickly, pushing the drawer shut.

She grinned.

“You have Speedo’s?” she chuckled.

“Yes I do.” He told her. “And no you are never going to see me wearing them.”

“Really.” She stood up and walked over to him.

He took in the hot little red bikini she was wearing.

“Pretty much like no one is ever going to see you in that.” He grouched. “Put on a different swimsuit.”

She chuckled and reached for the tie at her neck and loosening it so that it came apart. The bra top fell away and she dropped it to the floor. She did likewise with the ties at the side and reached into the dresser drawer and pulled out an alternative. He continued to watch as she pulled on the new swimsuit and then groaned when it was on.

It was a G String with the bra top smaller than the other one and was white.

“Which one would you prefer?” she asked him, doing a small twirl.

He walked over to her and took her in his arms and kissed her.

“I prefer something in black that covers you from head to toe.” He grumbled.

She laughed at him and wound her arms around his neck.

“So you don’t want everyone to know exactly why you married me.” She chuckled some more at the expression on his face.

“Where exactly did you buy this thing and tell me you never wore it outside the house.”

She threw back her head and laughed at him.

“Roman Harris, surely you’ve noticed that I have no tan lines.” She told him.

He looked at her in shock.

“Nude sunbathing?” he asked quickly.

She smiled at him and moved away without answering.

She pulled open the dresser drawer and found another swimsuit. This one was black and more conservative. She pulled it on and put the others away in the drawer.

“Ella?” he asked.

She turned and grinned at him.

“Are you going to model the Speedo’s for me?” she asked.

He shook his head.

She collected her things and moved away from him without answering the nude sunbathing question. She heard him groaning as she walked down the stairs and chuckled. She went out back and through to the storage area pulling out her board and then getting Mike’s for him. He walked up to her and grinned.

“Mum.” He said.

“Needs waxing.” She muttered running her hand down the board.

He reached for the wax and handed it too her watching the way she almost caressed the board as she rubbed the wax into it. He did his own board and Roman joined them just as she stacked hers into her car. Mike handed her his board after he’d finished and she put that in too.

“Come on Mister we’re waiting for you.” She grouched to Roman.

He chucked at her and handed over his wetsuit to her.

She placed that in the back of the jeep and then went inside to collect extra towels. Roman had put his board into the jeep by the time she came back downstairs.

“Ready?” she asked them.

Mike and Roman nodded.

“Ok.“ she pulled the door shut and they set off.

She drove them a little way up the coast and Roman grinned at her as she sighed when they got to the beach.

“Better surf than Summer Bay?” He asked her and saw her nod.

”Wicked undertow though.” Mike told him.

He watched as Ella pulled on the wetsuit. Mike followed suit. They picked up their boards and went through the surf and started paddling out to the bigger waves. He sat on the beach a while letting them spend some time together.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Roman drove them back to Summer Bay, they had spent most of the day in the water and he had to admire the way she caught the waves. Both she and Mike were expert surfers. He could understand more of why Mike had been upset because he missed spending time with Ella.

She grinned at him and looked adorable. He wasn’t going to mention that the sun had brought out the smattering of freckles across her cute nose that only made her look cuter.

“I said I would meet Ollie at the beach can you drop me off?” Mike asked them.

“More beach time?” Ella asked him.

He grinned.

“Of course.”

She laughed and caught Roman looking at her. She smiled at him and saw him grin back.

Within minutes they pulled up at the beach. She took in the bonfire ready to be lit, the strings of multi-coloured lights and the torches. There was a sound system to one side with the music already playing.

“What’s going on Mike?” Ella turned around and looked at him.

“Well I thought you could use a bit of cheering up.” He grinned at her. “So I organised a beach party. You know like we used to do.”

She grinned at him and climbed out of the car excitedly.

Roman followed and they went down to the beach.

“Miles.” Roman greeted on seeing the other man.

“Roman.” He grinned.

“Want a hand with that?” he asked seeing Miles setting up a table.

He nodded and the two of them set to work.

Ella smiled as she left them to it, hearing their chatter in the background. Irene and Leach came out of the diner carrying baskets of food. They placed them on the table that Miles and Roman had finished putting up.

“Hey there.” Leah called to her.

“Let me help.” Ella said.

“No chance. Anyway we’ve got it covered. Alf is in charge of the BBQ. He’s just closing up the bait shop he’ll be here soon.” Leah told her with a grin.

Kirsty came over to them.

She handed Leah and Ella a glass of wine. Well, paper cups anyway.

“And this one for you.” She said handing Irene a drink.

“So come on.” Kirsty said. “All we’ve heard all day is about beach parties in California. We need to know more.”

They moved over to the other side of the bonfire that was starting to take and Ella sat down on a corner of blanket. Mike saw them sitting and he went and fetched one of the beach chairs for Irene to use.

She grinned at him.

“Thanks Darl.” She murmured.

“Come on.” Leah said. “Your past is more mysterious than his.” She nodded at Roman who was busy with Miles setting up the BBQ.

Mike wandered off with Ollie and VJ. She watched as he started a game of soccer with them.

Ella grinned.

“I was with Christopher for three years and his job went overseas. We moved to California. I hung out with surfer types and we used to have beach parties.” She grinned. “End of story.”

“Yeah sure.” Kirsty murmured.

She grinned at her.

“No seriously that all there is to it. I did my photography, was a full time mum and any spare time I hung at the beach.”

“So where is this mysterious Christopher and why aren’t you still with him?” Kirtsy asked her.

“Strewgth Darl, you can’t ask her that.”

Ella laughed.

“Its ok. Irene.” She murmured. “Christopher wanted to get married, have kids, stay in California and I didn’t.”

“Was he good looking?” Kirsty grinned as Irene looked at her.

“Yes.” Ella chuckled.

“Why don’t you give his number to Leah I think it’s about time she had a date.” Kirsty said quickly.

Leah chuckled.

“I agree.” Rachel added walking over to them.

She sat on the blanket next to Kirsty.

“Hey there” Ella greeted her.

Miles walked over and handing Ella a large cup.

“From your husband.” He told her with a grin.

She took a sip.

“Better?” he asked.

She nodded.

He handed Rachel a cup and poured white wine into it. He topped up Kirsty’s and then Leah’s. “And for you Madam.” He topped up Irene’s cup with the non-alcoholic drink.

“So who else is coming to this little shindig?” Ella asked Miles.

“Aden and Belle. Nic and Geoff. Alf will be our Chef tonight.” Miles grinned at her.

“My son has been busy hasn’t he?” she murmured taking a long drink of the vodka and coke drink.

Leah laughed.

“Has he told you about the limbo dancing contest?” she said and laughed at the expressions on their faces.

“No way.” Miles said. “Your husband has already started me drinking and I do enough stupid stuff when I drink with him.”

Ella laughed.

“Hello.” Aden called walking over to them.

“Hey.” She said to him.

Belle sat on the blanket with them.

“What do you want to drink Babe?” Aden said softly.

Ella held up her cup.

“Vodka and coke please and better not call me babe my husband is over there.”

Belle laughed as Aden flushed.

“I’ll have the same.” She told him.

Aden wandered away with Miles.

“I can’t think why we haven’t done this before.” Kirsty grinned. “Why should the schoolies get all the fun.” She said referring to the usual habit of the schoolies practice of having beach parties.

Aden walked over to them with the drinks. Roman walking over behind him.

“Mike has asked if any of you ladies would like to have a game of Soccer?” he told them.

Ella laughed and held up her hands to him. He helped her to stand up and she kicked off her sandals and went over to them and started playing soccer.

He took the vacated spot on the blanket.

“Alf has arrived and started cooking.” Roman told them.

Irene chuckled.

“I’ll go sort out the rest of the food.” She said and stood up.

Roman took a long drink of the beer and looked over at Ella playing soccer with Ollie and VJ and Mike and he suddenly felt so sad that they couldn't have kids that he felt his eyes well up with tears. Oh, they could go for adoption or even foster, and were not ruling that out but she deserved her own kids.

Rachel looked at him.

“I know Roman.” She said softly.

He brought his attention back to the group.

“Am I that obvious?” he half grinned.

Rachel nodded.

“I think we’ll go give Irene a hand.” Leah said and she and Belle stood up and walked over to the others.

“How are you doing?” Rachel asked him.

“In light of Nic’s announcement?” he asked.

Roman shrugged.

“We’re hurting. She wants a baby.” He said softly.

“You know that any pregnancy will be high risk, both in terms of carrying the child to term and the risk of haemorrhage.” Rachel told him and saw him nod. “Then there is the added problem of her blood pressure. Even so it’s not impossible. If the pregnancy is monitored and she has bed rest. It would still be high risk even so.”

“Are you saying that we should?” he asked confused.

She shook her head.

“No. Ella suffered a significant bleed during the miscarriage. I don’t recommend that you try but I can understand if an accident happens.”

He grinned.

“No.” he murmured quickly. “I’m not going to risk it.” he said but suddenly thought of the incident in the hotel room the previous month and his grin disappeared. “Are you telling me that Ella may decide that it would be worth the risk though?”

Rachel nodded.

“I won’t let her.” he said looking over at Ella again.

Rachel grinned.

“Good luck with that one.” She told him.

He turned back to her and grinned, draining his drink.

“I see that you’ve met my wife.” He told her jokingly just as Ella came over to them.

“Hey Rachel.” She began. “You’ve been deep in conversation.”

“Talking about you.” Roman asserted.

Ella laughed.

“Rachel I am being good honest.” She said quickly.

Rachel laughed.

“I was asking how you two were doing.” She said to Ella.

Ella nodded.

She sank down next to Roman and put her hand on his knee.

“I think we are doing ok. But it’s not easy is it?” she turned to Roman.

He put his arm round her and she moved closer to him.

She smiled at him.

He leaned over and kissed her.

“El?” Rachel asked.

She looked at her.

“I fill my days with stuff and I have my photography. Mike is wonderful. And Nic has been great.” Ella said softly. “But I’m not going to be ok with watching her get bigger or go to scans with her or be able to bare her being so excited about being a mum.”

She looked at Roman.

“Sorry.” She said to him.

He smiled sadly.

“I understand Ella.” He told her and saw her nod.

“But I’m not going to let my daughter know that this hurts me so I’m going to need your help.” She took hold of Roman’s hand and felt him give it a reassuring squeeze.

“Now it’s supposed to be a party. Are we going to get a drink?” She asked him with a grin.

He stood and pulled her to her feet.

“Nic has just arrived.” He said to her seeing his daughter over by the drinks table.

She grinned and pressed a kiss to his lips before turning and walking over to them.

Rachel watched them go.

“Hey” he called walking in.

“Hello.” Ella said softly from the kitchen.

It sounded suspiciously like she had been crying and he looked over at the tv and saw that Finding Nemo was on again.

“Tough day?” he asked.

She came out and looked at him.

He took in the bathrobe and her hair dragged back into a band. She held out the dish of ice cream she had been hiding.

He chuckled.

“Hey.” She grouched.

“Sorry. You look like a poster child for depression.” He confessed.

“Try PMT and you might be right. Now go away before I kill you and plead self defence.”

She told him and moved over to the sofa and sat back down.

“Ok I’m going to go back out. I will see you in an hour.” He lent down and kissed her.

“Yum. “ he said. “Pistachio flavoured.”

She glared some more at him until he left her alone.

He drove to Yabbie creek and bought a large box of chocolates, some more ice cream and a bunch of flowers. He picked up a bunch of magazines before heading to the DVD store and picking up a collection of titles.

He walked back through the door and she was lying on the sofa. He walked over to her and knelt down by her.

“Hey.” He said softly.

She wiped her eyes and looked at him.

“Nemo found his way home again.” She said to him and saw him grin.

“He does that every time I’ve noticed.” He grinned.

She nodded.

“I’ve discovered the meaning of life is just to keep swimming.” She told him.

He kissed her again.

“I’ve brought you some goodies.”

“You just want to keep me in a good mood.”

“Hun, if this is you in a good mood I’d hate to see you depressed!” he finally said.

She nodded.

“Nic is having her scan tomorrow so I thought I’d combine PMT with depression and get it over and done with.”

He chuckled softly.

“Great. Sit up.” He said.

She did so slowly.

He handed her the bag with chocolates and magazines in. He put the flowers on the table and saw her grin. He fetched a vase with water in it and put the flowers in. Then he handed over the DVD’s.

“I have toffee and cookie dough. Which one would you like first?” he asked.

He looked at her face seeing the conflicted look on it

“How about both?” he asked.

She nodded with a grin.

He got them two big bowls of ice cream and went and sat next to her on the sofa.

“Which dvd?” he asked.

She shrugged.

“I’m not sure you picked all of these titles for me. I don’t like James Bond.”

He flushed.

“Maybe that one was so I could cope with your hormones.” He suggested.

She handed it to him.

“Well let’s get it over with.” She handed him the film and he smiled at her.

He went and swapped over the films.

“I’ll be down in a minute.” She said to him and pressed a kiss to his cheek.

He smiled at her and watch as she moved carefully up the stairs. He stood and took the empty bowl into the kitchen and washed it up. He straightened up the rest of the kitchen and pulled the throw off the sofa and shook it. He found a baby name book and a pregnancy book she had placed down by the cushions and his heart leapt into his mouth.

“There are Nic’s she left them here last time she was over.” Ella said from her position on the stairs.

He looked at her, she had had a quick shower and gotten dressed. He saw her smile.

“I wished they were ours.” He confessed.

“I know. Me too. I hid them when you came in because I didn’t want you to…” she stopped.

“Think you were depressing yourself even more.”

She nodded.

He took them through to the kitchen and put them on the table out of the way.

“Are we watching this movie?” he turned and asked her. “Because the ice cream is melting.”

She walked over to him and put her arms around him.

“Yes.” She said and kissed him.

He looked at her and led her over to the sofa and sat with her. She pulled the throw over herself and snuggled up to him.

“You are wonderful.” She told him.

“I know. “ he said smugly.

She glared at him.

“I can still get away with killing you, you know.” She told him.

“I know that too, why do you think I bought the chocolates.” He said handing her the box.

She grinned and reached for one.

“Nic. Calm down.” Ella said to her.

“I am calm.” She stated. “They needed me to drink a lot so they could do the scan and I’m bursting for a we!” she confessed.

Ella laughed.

“What time does Geoff get here.” She asked still grinning as the girl shifted on the chair again.

“He doesn’t know. He’s at college so he may not make it.” She said and reached for a magazine flicking through the glossy pages.

She saw Rachel walking toward them.

“Rachel.” Nic gasped.

“Come on through Nic. Hey Ella, how are you doing?” She said to her.

Their eyes met but the smile Ella gave her was genuine.

“I’m ok. This one is about to burst.”

“Sorry Nic but we need you to drink so much so we get the best picture.”

Nic nodded.

“Just hurry up before I have an accident.”

Rachel laughed as she led them through.

Nic eased up on the bed and lifted her top. Rachel smoothed the cold gel on her belly and pulled out the wand of the ultrasound.

“Ok. “ she said. “We have a heartbeat.”

Rachel looked at the girl and switched on the audio so they could hear it.

“Wow. Step Mama.” She murmured and reached for Ella’s hand.

Ella grinned at her.

Rachel turned the monitor.

“Here is your baby.” She told her.

Nic peered at it.

“I need a little help.” she said finally and the other two woman laughed.

Ella came round the bed and pointed out the baby to her.

Nic smiled before slow tears eased down her face.

“Hey.” Ella said softly.

“You know I would swap don’t you.” She said finally.

“Nic.” Ella murmured.

“In a heartbeat Step-mama. I’d give you this baby.”

Ella reached over and stroked her hair.

“It’s ok Nic. It really is. It just wasn’t meant to be.” She pressed a kiss to the girls’ cheek.

“I know it hurts you to see me like this, all excited but I want to share this with you and I know that is selfish but I want this baby to know you.” Nic eased up off the bed and looked over at Rachel. “And I really really need to pee.” She stated.

Rachel laughed wiping away her own tears and handed Nic some tissue to clean off the gel while she printed off the scans.

Nic climbed off the bed and disappeared through the door leaving them alone.

“She’s grown up.” Rachel said softly.

Ella nodded.

“She is wonderful.” Ella agreed.

Nic came back a moment later and collected her handbag and the scans.

“Tell me I don’t have to drink so much next time?” she asked Rachel.

“No. You are 12 weeks and everything is ok.” Rachel told her.

“Ok.” she grinned. “Time to hit the Diner and get cake.”

Ella laughed.

“And freak your dad out?” she asked her.

“I’m sure I heard Rachel say triplets didn’t you?” Nic said with a grin.

Rachel chuckled.

“If I did I don’t think your dad would be freaking.”

Nic nodded.

“Nope you would have had to revive me after I fainted and we could have forgotten the natural birth plan.” Nic said grinning.

They left the hospital and climbed into Ella’s car to make their way to the diner.

“Hey Darls.” Irene greeted them as they went in.

Nic hand over the scan.

“Oh my word.” She said to them. “I guess its official now.” She handed the scan back to Nic.

Nic nodded.

“What can I get you?” she asked them as they moved over to a table.

“I need chocolate.” Nic said

Roman walked over to them and kissed Ella.

“I thought I heard your voices. Everything ok?” he asked.

Ella nodded.

“I need some food I’m hungry.” She told him,

He chuckled.

“See I told you ice cream does not make a nutritious breakfast.” He grinned at her.

Nic looked at her.

“Breakfast?” she asked.

Ella nodded a flush running across her skin.

“No toast?” Irene asked her.

She shook her head.

“I like ice cream.” She said defensively as they all looked at her.

“So what would you like?” Roman asked her.

She grinned.

“Surprise me.” She told him.

He chuckled.

“How did you get on Nic?” he asked her.

She grinned and showed him the scan.

“Hey.” He said and placed a kiss on the top of her head.

“And we heard the heartbeat.” She told him. “It was just like…” she paused.

“Wow?” Roman asked her.

She nodded.

He laughed and pressed another kiss to her head before turning and going back into the kitchen.

“I depressed you didn’t I?” Nic asked when they were alone.

Ella grinned and shook her head.

“Not unless you are responsible for PMT too?”

“Oh god. Why didn’t you tell me I wouldn’t have made you come to the scan with me.” She said guiltily.

“Nic, calm down ok. It’s fine honestly.” She said and smiled at her.

Nic looked down at her scan.

“If you start crying Nicole Franklin Harris Campbell I will slap you.”

“But I’m pregnant.” She gasped.

Ella laughed.

“Yeah but I’m hormonal. I’ll get away with it.”

Nic looked at her and laughed.

Ella walked slowly down the stairs and out the door. She loaded up her car before going into the kitchen where Roman was sitting at the table. She kissed him and then stole his cup of coffee.

He grinned at her.

“Morning.” He said softly.

“Hey.” She muttered.

“Now how come you can be in a bad mood when it’s my coffee that has been stolen?” he asked.

She glared at him.

“Got to drive to the city for the Calvin Klein thing. Then have to drive home.” She muttered. “And your daughter has been telling me that apparently I have to get the models autograph for her because he is hot but I’m not allowed to let Geoff know and on pain of death I also have to keep it from Aden.”

He looked at her.

“Well it’s a hard life. I have to go to the Diner and work with Colleen and Irene for a few hours then I might hang on the beach a while.”

She glared at him and said something in a foreign language which although he didn’t understand he crossed his legs anyway.

She handed him the empty cup and looked at him.

“I’ll go play with the really hot fit tanned model then. Did I mention that it was an underwear shoot?” she asked on her way out of the door.

She heard a muttered swearword and laughed.

Roman laughed at Colleen trying to find out the sex of Nicole’s baby from him.

“No I really don’t know. Nic and Geoff think it’s a boy but we all want to be surprised.” He told her.

“Well that is no good.” She told him. “I would have thought these days the young mums wanted to find out so they could decorate the nursery.”

Roman chuckled.

“And I could do without you reminding me I’m going to be a granddad every five minutes too.” He grumbled good-naturedly. “It’s bad enough it’s only 3 months away now.”

Colleen chuckled.

“How is Ella?” she asked after a moment.

Roman stopped what he was doing and looked at Colleen.

“She’s doing ok actually.” He said to her.

Colleen nodded at him and patted his arm.

He smiled at the older woman.

“My Lancie was a miracle you know. I never thought I would have him. We had ever such a lot of trouble but he came to us like a special gift.” She said softly. “I’m not saying that things will work out for you I’m just saying that maybe you shouldn’t give up hope.”

Roman looked at her and bent his head to give her a kiss on the cheek.

She looked up at him all flustered.

“Yes Well..” she said.

He grinned at her.

“Colleen you are wonderful.” He said.

“Get away with you young man.” She said and disappeared to go clean down a few tables.

Irene wandered into the kitchen and looked at him.

“What just happened?” she asked him.

Roman grinned.

“Just a miracle.” He said. “I’m about done here I’m going to go hit the beach for a bit.”

“Ok Darl.” Irene grinned at him and watched him go.

“Yannis.” Ella said again.

“Well I can’t help it he’s gorgeous.” Yannis said softly to her.

“Flirt on your own time because I’m trying really hard here not to get x rated shots.”

Yannis turned and looked at the model and grinned again.

“He does fill those boxers well doesn’t he.” Yannis said after a moment.

“Great.” She muttered. “It’s going to break Nic’s heart to find out he’s gay let alone that my assistant is dating him.”

“I am so not.” He muttered.

“Do you have any idea of how gay you sound right now?” she grinned.

“Liz before you went all boring you would have flirted a little, admit it.”

“To get the shots I wanted yes, maybe depending on the situation but I never dated.” She paused and raised an eyebrow at him. “Or swapped phone numbers.”

He blushed.

“Now go hose him down with cold water loverboy, I need to go home and have sex with my husband.” She told him with a grin and fanned herself with a hand.

Yannis laughed.

They continued the shoot for the rest of the afternoon.

“Hey.” Miles called to Roman.

“Hey yourself.” He said.

“You have a thing for these sand dunes don’t you.” Miles grinned at him.

Roman tried to ignore the stain of colour on his face.

“It is my favourite spot on the beach.” He confessed. “And don’t say it.” he added referring to the time he and Ella had, well, explored the Dunes.

Miles chuckled as he sat next to him.

“So what are you thinking about today?” he asked.

Roman looked out at the sea watching the waves hit the beach.

“Babies.” He turned and looked at Miles.

“Tough one.” Miles said softly.

“I look at the way she is with Nic and I’m so impressed with her strength Miles.” Roman told him. “I don’t know how she can do it.”

Miles smiled slowly.

“Women are the stronger sex and no I’ll never admit that in front of Kirsty or El.”

Roman chuckled.

“What would you say if I said there was a chance we could have a baby?”

Miles looked at him.

“I’d say it would have to call me Daddy and you mummy.”

Roman took a minute then looked at Miles.

“I actually meant me and El.” He said to him huffily.

Miles chuckled.

“Would it be worth the risk?” he asked.

Roman shook his head.

“Not to me but I’m wondering if I’m being selfish.”

“Maybe you should talk about it.”

Roman shook his head.

“Not the time maybe in a while after Nic’s baby is here.”

“So what are you doing here brooding?” Miles asked him.

“Hey.” Roman muttered. “I’m not brooding, I’m contemplating.”

Miles laughed.

Roman walked into the house and found Ella sitting at the table with her laptop. He pressed a kiss to her mouth and looked over her shoulder.

“Good day?” he asked her quickly

She grinned.

“It went ok.”

“I can see that.” He muttered. “My god is that….” He stopped and looked at her.

She blushed and was about to tell him that the model was gay when he lifted her from the chair.

He kissed her hard on the lips running his hands all over her body. She moaned against his hard mouth and wound her arms around his neck.

He placed her on the table and put his hand between her legs rubbing her to erotic heights. She moaned and yanked at his T-shirt to get him as hot as he was getting her. Her cool hands caressing him made him moan and he pushed her skirt up and pulled her legs apart.

She undid the fastening on his jeans and tugged them down.

“Is it safe?” he asked tearing his lips away from hers long enough to ask.

She nodded and felt him grin.

She decided not to tell him the model was gay after all.

She rolled over and yawned.

He looked at her.

“I’m sorry.” He said.

She grinned.

“Why are you sorry?” she asked stretching.

“Because I ravished you.”

She nodded.

“A lot.” She told him and saw him grin. “Might explain why we are naked in bed and it is only 7pm.”

He yawned.

“By the way.” She said sleepily. “The model is gay. I think he may start dating Yannis.”

He chuckled.

“I need sleep.” She moaned.

He laughed.

“I thought you were going to say pizza for a minute.”

She nodded.

“That too. Wake me when it gets here.” She sighed and snuggled up to him.

He breathed out slowly wrapping her in his arms and fell asleep.

Ella rolled over in bed and felt her stomach lurch. She eased up out of bed and made her way to the bathroom to take a shower. Roman grinned as he heard the water come on. He thought about joining her but decided to go make breakfast instead. Pulling on his own bathrobe he made his way down the stairs. He had some cinnamon rolls he made yesterday so he put them in the oven to warm.

She came downstairs fully dressed.

“Hey.” She said. “I thought you didn’t have to be up early today.”

“I thought I would make you breakfast.” He told her.

She grinned and kissed him.

“Thank you.” She murmured.

“Seems only fair since you get to spend the day baby shopping with Nic.” He said and saw the minute look of sadness on her face.

He tugged her hand and pulled her into his arms.

“Hey.” He said.

“It’s getting better,” she told him. “I no longer sob my heart out when the B word is mentioned.”

“You haven’t watched Finding Nemo this month either.” He added.

She nodded and reached for the coffee pot to pour out a cup.

“I haven’t have I?” she said softly.

“Nope.” he leaned forward and kissed her just as Nic walked in.

“Will you two stop that.” She muttered.

“Sorry Nic.” Ella grinned. “Are you feeling grumpy?”

Nic glared at her.

“I can understand no coffee.” She began.

“Stop.” Roman muttered. “I’m going to go upstairs before you even go there.” He took out the rolls and put them on the table before disappearing.

Ella waited for a moment before she ran to pick up her handbag. She pulled out the organiser and looked into it.

“What’s up?” Nic asked quickly.

“Nothing. Just checking something out.” El grinned at her. “Anyway is this the no sex thing?” she asked the other girl.

Nic looked at her before bursting into tears.

“Hey.” Ella said and walked over to her and took Nic into her arms for a hug.

“I think Geoff is having an affair.” She sobbed.

“Are you sure?” Ella asked and felt Nic shake her head. “Have you talked about it?” she asked her.

Nic pulled out a tissue and wiped her eyes before she blew her nose.

“I can’t.” she murmured. “I don’t want him to know that I know.”

Ella put her finger under her chin and lifted her head so that she looked at her.

“You either confront him or you give him a taste of what he is missing.”

“But we can’t make love.” Nic said quickly.

“I’m sure that making love is not the be and end all of your relationship.”

Nic looked down again before she looked up and smiled.

“Thank you step mama.” She said.

“Are we going shopping?” she asked her.

Nic nodded.

Ella grinned and put her organiser into her handbag before grabbing her keys and leading them out.

“See you later.” She shouted up the stairs.

She went out the door before turning around and walking back to the kitchen and pouring half the cup of coffee down the sink and grabbing a couple of the rolls. She juggled them in her hand going out to the car.

Nic looked at her and Ella held out her hand with the spare roll in it. She grinned and took it.

“What are we buying today?” she asked Nic.

“Clothes and looking at baby furniture.” She said.

Ella grinned at her and set off driving them to the city.

They pulled up at the shopping centre and Ella parked the car before they got out and went upstairs to the precinct.

They walked around the centre looking at bits and pieces before heading into the baby shop.

Nic walked from rack to rack. Picking one outfit after another before putting them back.

She looked at Ella and grinned.

“Am I boring you?” she asked her.

“What?” Ella muttered. “Sorry, my mind is elsewhere.”

“Not hot male models?” she asked.

Ella laughed and shook her head.

“He was gay Nicole. You have to get over it.”

Nic looked at her for a moment a dreamy expression on her face.

“I did not mean like that.” Ella added quickly.

“Sorry it’s hormones.” She grinned, blushing. “That and being banned.”

Ella chuckled.

Nic looked round the shop.

“I really wish I’d found out the sex now.” She moaned.

Ella walked over to a section and picked up a baby shawl and stroked it. Nic watched her.

“El.” She said after a minute. “Let’s go get a coffee.”

Ella focused on her.

“Sorry?” she asked.

“Ok, you are scaring me. I said let’s go get a drink.” Nic put her arm through Ella’s and led her away to a café.

“A cup of Decaff. “ she ordered form the waitress.

“Make that two.” Ella said.

Nic waited until the coffees arrived before she asked.

“Are you pregnant?”

Ella looked up quickly.

“No.” she said.

Nic looked at her for a long moment. Her eyes were exactly like Roman’s. She sighed and pulled out her organiser again.

“I haven’t watched Finding Nemo.” Ella told her.

Nic grinned.

“Maybe you’re getting better.” She suggested.

Ella shook her head.

“I watch it every month.”

She opened it up and looked at it again.

“See.” She pointed out. “I’m late.”

“Screwy system.”

Ella shook her head.

“Nic, I’m 3 weeks late. I didn’t give it a thought. “

“Surely.” She began and saw Ella shake her head.

“It would have been while I was on assignment last month, so no he wouldn’t necessarily have noticed. Aside from not watching Finding Nemo.” She muttered feeling slightly embarrassed. “And if I am it’s my own stupid fault because I thought it was safe and we risked it.” She didn’t say that they risked it loads of times in just the one night.

“Well aside from the whole you are talking about my dad here bit that is making me feel queasy we need to get a test.”

She looked at Nic and started to cry.

“I can’t.” she said.

“Ella.” Nic said sternly. “We need to do it so that we can find out and you can start looking after yourself.”

Ella shook her head.

“I seriously can’t.” she muttered.

“Why?” Nic asked her gently.

“Because if it is negative I’ll fall apart” Ella whispered.

“Step-mama.” Nic said after a minute. “I won’t let you do this alone.”

Ella looked up and wiped her eyes.

“Fine.” She said to her.

“You are only saying that because you know I’m not going to stop until you’ve pee’d on a stick.”

Ella nodded.

Nic grinned at her.

She stood up and went to the counter to pay for the coffees to give Ella a moment alone. Then she moved back to the table and they went into a pharmacy. Nic wandered down the aisles until she came across the pregnancy testing kits and picked one up before heading for the tills.

“Er Love.” The shop assistant said to her looking at Nic’s expanded waistline. “I think you might be a bit late buying this.”

Nic grinned.

“It’s for a friend.” She said and winked.

She paid for it and then dragged Ella to the taxi rank where they picked up a cab and went to Ella’s studio. They walked in and found Ruby reading a book sitting on the sofa.

“Nic.” Ruby gasped when she saw them. “You are so pregnant.” She muttered.

Nic chuckled.

She handed Ella the bag and gave her a push towards the bathroom.

“So Rubes how is college? Is Annie here?”

Ruby went into the kitchen and put the kettle on to boil.

“Annie is out with Migual, then she has the late shift.” Ruby told her.

Ella came out.

“Nic.” She said softly.

“What?” Nic turned to her.

“I can’t look.” Ella confessed.

“I can’t either.” Nic told her.

“Look at what?” Ruby asked.

Ella looked at Nic for a moment before looking at Ruby.

“A pregnancy test.” She said quickly.

Ruby grinned.

“Really?” she asked. “I know that they said you shouldn’t but ..” she trailed off.

Ella went and sat on the sofa putting her head in her hands.

Ruby looked at Nic before walking into the bathroom.

“What does a pink line mean?” she shouted out.

“Not pregnant.” Ella said.

She looked up and her eyes met Nic’s.

“Well I don’t have to worry about how your Dad is going to react.” She said before she burst into tears.

“I’m sorry Step-mama.” Nic came over to her.

Ruby came and sat on the table in front of her.

“Did you want a baby?” she asked, suspecting that was a really stupid question.

Ella nodded.

She looked up and wiped her eyes.

“Well you’ll just have to try again.” Nic grinned. “I’m sure it won’t be a problem.”

Ella shook her head.

“No. Because I’ll tell him about this and well, he’ll do stuff.” She tried not to go into detail and spare Nic some blushes. “I think this was like my only chance.”

Ruby grinned and handed over the testing stick.

Ella looked at it for a long moment.

“Two pink lines.” She said.

Ruby grinned.

“Two?” She asked not believing her eyes.

“I’m going to be a sister.” Nic gasped.

Ella grinned as more tears poured down her face.

“Hey I thought you would be happy.” Ruby told her.

Ella nodded.

“I am happy but I have to tell Roman and I’m really scared.” She confessed.

“Of my Dad? He’s a pussycat around you.” Nic grinned.

Ella shook her head.

“Yeah sure, after he’s hit the roof because he thinks I’ve tricked him.”

Ruby chuckled.

“So you were upset because you weren’t and now you are upset because you are.” She laughed at her.

Ella grinned.

“Just you wait until you have to deal with hormones young lady.” She said to her.

“See you are sounding like a Mum already.” Ruby told her and saw Ella give a slow smile and press her hand on her stomach.

Ella cooked a special dinner. She put her hair up and put on her favourite slinky black dress. As well as full make up and perfume. She ran a hand nervously down the dress, before adjusting the black sheer stockings she had on underneath and slipping her feet into very high sexy heels. She tiptoed downstairs and into the kitchen to check on the dinner. She had a bottle of very nice red wine, a particular favourite of his ready and at this moment in time she felt like she could use a glass, or several, to steady her nerves. Only the fact that she was pregnant and also that she hated wine stopped her.

She went into the lounge and put on some soft romantic music and lit the candles. Some were scented with sandalwood. She plumped the pillows again and adjusted the new velvet throw she had bought yesterday along the corner and back of the sofa.

Finding nothing more she could fiddle with while she waited nervously for Roman to come home she sat down.

After some time she stood and turned off the music to put on the tv. She went into the kitchen and switched off the cooker. After another half an hour went by and she went and found her phone. Three text messages from Nic, two from Ruby, another one from Annie but nothing from her husband, she texted them all back but she refused to text him to find out where he was. She changed out of her dress and left it and the stockings on the floor next to her discarded shoes. Then she pulled on her pyjamas and dressing gown and went back downstairs. She got a big bowl of ice cream and settled down to watch Finding Nemo.

Another hour went by so she stood up and locked the doors. She put the security chain on and even stuck a kitchen chair under the handle of the back door so he couldn’t open that. She dumped the dinner she had lovingly made in the bin. Then she blew out the candles and switched out the lights and went to bed.

She ignored the banging on the door several hours later.

Nic cooked a very special dinner. She made all of Geoff’s favourites and set the table with candles and their best crockery. Then she put on some soft music and waited.

“Hey.” Geoff called.

“Hello husband.” Nic called from the kitchen.

She walked out and handed him a bottle of his favourite beer.

“Are we expecting company?” he asked.

She grinned.

“I just thought my husband could do with a bit of pampering.” She pressed a kiss to his lips.

He looked at her.

“I’m a lucky husband.” He said with a grin.

“You have time for a shower before dinner if you want to freshen up. I noticed that there was a game on if you wanted to watch that later.” She told him softly.

He chuckled and caught hold of her hand and pulled her to him for another kiss.

“I love you Nic.” He said softly.

“I love you too Geoff.” She grinned.

He went up the stairs and took a shower before coming back down. Dinner was already served so he took a seat at the table opposite his wife. He couldn’t help grinning at her especially the extra bottle of beer she’d placed by his plate.

“This is wonderful.” He said.

“It is. I’ve been tied up with all this baby stuff it’s nice to spend a bit of time as us don’t you think.”

He looked over at her and caught hold of her hand

“It’s wonderful. I’ve been missing this.” He confessed.

“I know.” She chuckled.

They ate the dinner and she fetched the warm apple pie and ice cream that she had made for desert taking it over to the sofa so they could sit together.

Ella stepped over her husband’s sleeping body on the doorstep. He woke and reached for her.

She turned and kicked him when he tried to catch hold of her leg.

“Don’t you dare.” She muttered and carried on her way.

“Ella.” He said softly.

She glared at him.

“I do not want to hear it.” she said and climbed into her car.

He watched as she pulled out of the driveway and sped off. He sat up and stretched before walking into the house. He took in the candles spaced around the room, the new soft furnishings on his way into the kitchen. He looked round and saw that he had missed what was obviously a special dinner and swore. He started tidying the kitchen seeing that she had dumped the dinner in the bin. He was really in her bad books he thought. He picked out his phone from his pocket and tried calling her only to get her voicemail. He left a message asked her to call him.

Walking up the stairs he went into the bedroom and saw that she had left wet towels on the bed and he grinned. He picked them up and put them in the bathroom before heading back to the bedroom. It was then that he noticed the black dress and shoes discarded on the floor. He picked it up and looked at it before he noticed the black stockings. His blood pressure rose and he cursed that he missed out.

He dropped the dress on the end of the bed before peeling off his clothes and getting under the covers. He set his alarm to go off in a couple of hours while he caught up on his sleep and then he would have to do something special to make up for last night.

Ruby looked over and saw Ella standing by the window a cup in her hand.

“It didn’t go well I take it?” she asked.

Ella shook her head.

“I’m not here Ruby. If anyone asks.” She said.

On cue Ruby’s phone beeped and they laughed.

“It’s Nic asking if you are here because her dad is going nuts,”

Ella shook her head.

Ruby texted Nic back before walking over to the kitchen and making a cup of coffee for herself.

“Where is Annie?” Ella asked.

“She stays overnight at the hotel when she does a late shift.” Ruby told her softly.

Ella went over to the sofa and clicked open her phone.

“What happened Adopted–mama?” Ruby asked softly.

Ella looked up.

“He didn’t come home so I threw the dinner away in the bin and locked him out.” She said.

“Ah.” Ruby grinned. “And now this is payback.”

Ella shook her head.

“No. I needed to get away and clear my head.” she told her. “And anyway I’m just doing to him what he did to me last night.” She looked at Ruby. “He didn’t even text me to say he was going out. I sat there in my sexiest dress, stockings and high heels for two hours waiting for him.”

Ruby went to the kitchen and pulled out some bagels and started toasting them.

Ella texted Nic and told her she was fine, just chilling and that she would be back in a few days. Ruby handed her a plate with the toasted bagel on and Ella bit into it. She looked at her phone as it started ringing and let it go to voicemail.

“Roman?” Ruby asked.

Ella nodded.

“He’s persistent.” Ruby said a few minutes later as the phone rang again.

Ella nodded.

They continued with their breakfast when the doorbell rang.

Ella jumped.

“Where is you car maybe he saw it parked up.” Ruby said assuming it was Roman.

She shook her head.

“I left it in a mutli storey and caught a taxi here.”

Ruby laughed.

The doorbell went again so Ruby went downstairs and answered it. She came up a moment later and handed Ella a bouquet of flowers.

“Seems the man is sorry.” Ruby told her and handed her the display.

Ella put it on the table and read the card.

“I’m sorry and not because I missed out on the dress and the stockings R”

“Wow.” Ruby grinned. “What is he trying to do with that apology.”

Ella looked at her.

“He’s trying to make me laugh and appreciate that he’s had to tell some person that embarrassing little snippet.”

Ruby went over to Ella.

“Mad you madder huh?” she asked putting her arms around her.

“I have to see a specialist later today about the pregnancy.” She murmured. “I was hoping my husband would be coming with me.”

Ruby put her arms around her.

“It’s ok Ella.” She said softly.

Ella shook her head.

“Nope.”

She glared as her phone beeped. She clicked it open and read it.

“I’m sorry.” She read. “Please let me make it up to you.”

Ruby took the phone from her and typed back a message and sent it.

“Ruby?” Ella asked.

“I just told him to wear the dress and the stockings to work at the diner and maybe I would think about it.”

Ella laughed.

“I hope he doesn’t, that dress is designer.”

Ruby laughed.

“It would be worth it though.” Ruby said softly.

Ella nodded.

She looked at her watch and picked up her phone.

“I have to go I’ll see you later.”

“Ella, wait I’ll come with you.” Ruby said.

Ella shook her head.

“No it’s fine. I’d rather do this alone.” She said to her. “And anyway don’t you have college?”

Ruby nodded.

“Ok but you text me and I’ll come and meet you for lunch.”

Ella smiled.

“Yes.” She said and moved swiftly out of the door. She caught a taxi along the street and it took her to her appointment. She went into the hospital and walked up to reception for directions to the gynaecology department. She reported in and took a seat in the waiting area.

“Mrs Harris you can come through.” The nurse called.

She stood and walked though to the Doctors office.

“Please take a seat.” He advised.

She did feeling nervous.

“I have reviewed your file.” He began. “It’s not impossible that you can have this child.”

She breathed out unaware that she has been holding her breath.

He grinned at her.

“Your blood pressure will have to be monitored. We also need to make sure that you maintain your fluid levels. I want to give you a prescription for anti nausea medication that you need to take immediately and there will also be a diet sheet to follow, along with the usual vitamins and supplements.” He continued with a list of things. “Do you have any questions?” he asked her.

She shook her head.

“Sex?” she muttered after a moment.

He grinned.

“No reason to refrain unless there is any spotting or unusual symptoms.” He told her.

She nodded, trying not to blush.

The appointment ended and she left the hospital and pulled out her phone. More messages from Roman and she groaned.

She dialled his number.

“Ella I’m sorry.” He answered it on the first ring.

“Yes I know. I got your messages. I’m staying with a friend for a few days. How about you leave me alone.” She told him.

“Ella please.” He groaned.

She shook her head.

“Stop it. You didn’t even text me.” She muttered.

“Yes I know.” He began. “I was with Miles and we got talking and it got late.”

“I’m not upset with you for being out. I’m mad that you didn’t even think I would be worried or upset.”

“So you are staying away to punish me.”

“Go to hell.” She said and hung up.

Her phone rang immediately.

She clicked it open and answered it.

“Ella.” He said.

“Yes.” She said cautiously.

“I’m sorry.” He told her.

“What for this time?” she asked.

She heard him groan.

“Being an insensitive jerk.” Roman began. ”I love you El and of course you can spend some time with your friends. When will you be back?”

She sighed.

“I don’t know.”

“You will be back?” he asked after a significant pause.

She swore at him.

“So one fight and we are over? Is that how you see our marriage? “

He chuckled.

“It wasn’t a fight El, you locked me out and then disappeared.” He told her. “And I don’t know where you are.”

“Yes, but at least I called you.” She said snidely. “I’ll be home when I’m home.” She hung up and then texted Ruby to say she was going to the studio for a lay down.

She was awoken by Nic’s voice and she looked up groggily.

“Step-mama, my dad is having a breakdown. I nearly blurted out your news and you’ve been sleeping like a baby.” She told her.

Ella looked up and blinked.

“Your dad can go and…” Ella told her in response.

“Hey, is this a no caffeine response or are you seriously mad at him?” Ruby asked.

Ella stood up from the sofa and went into the bathroom and came out a moment later.

“Is he really panicking?” she said concerned.

Nic grinned.

“A little.” She said. “But hey, it serves him right. How did you get on today?”

“Specialist seems to think that things will go ok. Need to watch my blood pressure and follow a diet. There might also be bed rest during the last term.”

Nic came over and hugged her.

“Now are you going to tell him?”

Ella nodded.

“Of course I am. After I stop being mad at him.”

“So he’ll find out at the birth then.” Ruby grinned.

“Maybe a little while after that.” Ella said softly.

She looked at her phone and surprisingly there were no more messages. It was then she caught sight of the table and more flowers.

Ruby chuckled.

“There is also a large teddy bear, chocolates and a selection of bath stuff.”

Nic smiled at her.

“Very expensive bath stuff too. Apparently your favourite.”

Ella shook her head.

She walked over to the table and looked at the cards.

“This one is because I didn’t apologise.” She read aloud then picked up the next card. “I am sorry and I will make it up to you.”

She turned to Nic.

“How exactly does he know I am here?” she asked her.

Nic shook her head.

“I never told him.” she said quickly.

Ella looked at Ruby.

“Nor me.” She said quickly.

She walked over to the bear and picked up the tag.

“How can I say sorry except with a hug. “ she murmured.

Ruby handed her the chocolates, which Ella opened and ate one before reading the attached card.

“I kiss your lips with each taste and hope that you’ll forgive me.”

“Hey for my Dad that is romantic.” Nic said.

Ella nodded.

“Still not forgiving him?” Ruby grinned.

She shook her head.

“Would you? I cooked a romantic meal, I asked him to be home at a certain time and he said yes. I wore stockings for pete’s sake.” She sniffed suspiciously. “And I was going to tell him about the baby.”

Nic pulled her to the sofa and sat her down.

“El, if you are going to cry I will cry.” Nic said.

Ella shook her head.

“What is the last one?” she asked Ruby.

Ruby handed over the large basket of bath stuff.

“Oh wow.” She said.

“Step-mama.” Nic warned.

Ella wiped the tears from her face and lifted up the card.

“This is not part of my apology. It’s just because…. PS if you need your back washing call me.”

“So that is your favourite stuff.” Ruby said softly.

Ella tried to stop crying but the tears flowed down her face.

“I told him this was my favourite.” She said quickly.

“Ok.” Nic said.

Ella shook her head.

“I told him this was my favourite when we were in Afghanistan.” She explained.

Nic put her arm round her shoulders.

“So are you going home tonight?” she asked her.

Ella shook her head.

“I need him to know that I’m upset.” She muttered.

“Are you sure about that?” Ruby asked her.

Ella nodded.

Then she shook her head.

Ruby fetched a bottle of water from the fridge and brought it over to her and Ella took a long drink.

She looked at her phone as it rang.

“It’s dad.” Nic told her.

She nodded.

“Answer it.” Ruby told her.

“Hello.” She said into the phone.

She stood up and moved away from them.

“Hey.” He said. “Are you ok?” he asked.

She nodded.

“Yes I’m fine.”

“Good. What are you up to?” he murmured.

“Why are you making small talk?” she asked him.

He sighed.

“Because I don’t want to get into a fight with you over the phone and I just really needed to hear your voice.” He confessed.

She sighed.

“I’m mad at you.”

“I know and I deserve it.” he said softly. “I saw all the trouble you went too and I’m sorry that I missed it but I’m really sorry I upset you.”

“Are you?” she muttered.

“Of course I am. Not sorry enough to wear the dress though but I do have the stockings on underneath my trousers.”

Ella had to cover her mouth to stop herself laughing.

“Uh huh.” She said, grinning.

“When will you be home El I need to hold you.”

She sighed.

“Stop it. “ she muttered. “I’m mad at you and I don’t want to be joked out of it and I don’t want you to ….”

“I won’t do anything then.” He interrupted. “I won’t send you chocolates or flowers and you better not answer the door in about ten minutes because I haven’t ordered your favourite pizza to be delivered either.”

“I’m hanging up on you.” She told him grouchily.

“You just don’t want me to hear the door buzzer go so it confirms you are at the studio.” He said.

She sighed and walked into her bedroom away from Ruby and Nic who she knew were listening in. She closed the door behind her and heard Nic groan behind her.

“Where I am is none of your business.” She told him. “And forget me coming home anytime soon.”

“Ella.” he said softly.

“No. Stop it. You ruined the best night, I was planning to tell you something too. And I needed you today.” She started crying again and dashed the tears away from her face.

“Ella I am sorry.” He told her.

“I know but I’m still upset and I need time.”

“I love you.” He told her.

She sighed.

“I love you too.”

“You better go your pizza will be getting cold.” He said.

She hung up the phone on his laughing and opened the door.

Ruby looked at her.

“We just got a pizza delivery. And I think this one is yours.”

She walked over to the kitchen counter and looked at it.

“Extra cheese and olives.” She muttered. “I hate him.” she grouched.

Nic chuckled.

Ella picked up a slice and bit into it.

“Are you going home tonight?”

Ella shook her head.

“I’m too tired and too upset.” She said. “I don’t want to risk driving in this state.”

“You could come back with me?” She suggested.

“Or you could both stay and we can watch a movie and eat this pizza.” Ruby chipped in with her own suggestion.

Nic grinned.

“I was hoping you would say that I already texted Geoff and told him.”

Ella looked at Nic.

“Does he know I’m here?” she asked.

Nic shook her head.

“So why is your Dad so certain that I’m here.” She muttered.

Ruby shrugged.

“Is it worth worrying about?” she asked.

Ella looked up and picked up the second slice.

“Well I don’t want to be predictable.”

She felt her phone buzz in her pocket and clicked it open.

“Tell Ruby to answer the door.” Ella read out.

Ruby looked at her.

“He’s…” she stopped trying to think of something to describe him.

The door buzzer went.

“Answer the door.” Nic said grinning.

Ruby chuckled and went down the stairs to the outer door. She grinned and accepted the package from the deliveryman before she walked back up the stairs.

Ella looked at her as she handed over the box.

“Something to keep you sweet.” She read and opened the box.

Nic gasped as saw the toffee cheesecake.

“Are you sure you don’t want to go home tonight?” Nic asked her.

“You just want me to go so you can eat my food.” Ella said.

She picked up her pizza box and went over to the sofa. Nic and Ruby joined her.

“So toffee cheesecake?” Nic asked.

Ella shook her head.

“Sorry but that story I refuse to tell.” She said and bit into her pizza.

“Hey.” Miles called out, letting himself in.

“Come through.” Roman told him.

“Have you told her that you’ve been recalled yet?” Miles came out and asked.

He shook his head.

“I’ve put in an appeal to try and stop it.” he muttered.

“So she bought the excuse we were having a beer and didn’t suspect you were off having a medical.”

“Of course, that would be why she isn’t talking to me.” Roman grinned. “If she thought anything else I would be capable of talking.”

“So why are you checking through your uniform if you think you can appeal the recall notice.” Miles asked walking into the kitchen and helping himself to a beer. He caught Roman looking at him and he picked out a second beer and handed that over to him.

“She’s away for the night so I thought I would use it to check this stuff. That way if the appeal goes through I won’t upset her for no reason.”

“Sneaky.” Miles grinned sinking down onto a sofa.

“Miles you will take care of her for me won’t you.” Roman said quickly into the silence.

The other man looked at him.

“You think you are going don’t you?” he asked quickly.

Roman nodded.

“I don’t think I’ll get out of going. I think the appeal will just delay it if I’m honest.” He sighed.

“So what is scarier?” Miles grinned. “Telling Ella or going off to war.”

Roman grinned.

“What do you think mate?”

“Good luck with the whole telling Ella thing. Let me know how it works out.” Miles chuckled.

Roman grinned.

“I might just send her a letter after I go.” He mused.

“Yeah like that will soften the blow and she’ll get over it by the time you get back. Unless of course you are planning to be gone a few years.”

“Miles don’t give me any ideas.”

Roman drained the beer and went through to the kitchen. Miles heard the other man sigh and he went through to stand next to him.

“Roman.” Miles said softly.

“Miles I think I’m going to someplace hot and sandy and I’m scared that Ella will leave me.” He said finally. “I’ve already missed a wonderful dinner how is she going to react when I miss out anniversary, let alone the little things. And Nic is pregnant.”

Miles sighed and reached for more beers.

“You’ve tried to stop it. Ella loves you and well I don’t think Nic will be able to cross her legs so you’ll just have to spoil your grandchild when you get back.”

Roman grinned.

“She loves me but I don’t think she’ll stick around when I go. She doesn’t want that life and I can’t blame her.”

“And what kind of life do you want Roman? Admit it a part of you is looking forward to going. Maybe a tiny part.”

Roman took a long swallow of beer.

“Of course. I wouldn’t have stayed in the army if I didn’t enjoy it but I don’t want that now Miles, I want to be home with Ella and this is a really bad time to be going. I can’t leave her alone to deal with Nic.”

Miles looked at him.

“She struggling.” He said simply.

Roman nodded.

“I know it hurts her.”

Miles patted his back.

“Thanks Miles.” Roman grinned at the other man.

“No problem.” Miles grinned in return.

Ella climbed out of bed and went into the kitchen. She told herself she was going for a glass of water but she knew she wanted another slice of cheesecake.

“Busted Step-mama,” Nic called sleepily from the sofa.

“Sh… you are dreaming! Go back to sleep.” Ella said softly.

“Admit it you are missing him.” Ruby said from the other sofa.

“I’m just getting a glass of water.” Ella said.

“Well the cheesecake is over here.” Nic told her.

“You are eating my cheesecake?” she muttered.

Nic nodded.

“And Ruby has been eating those chocolates you didn’t want.”

“I hate you.” Ella muttered and stormed over to the table and looked at the cheesecake.

“Hormones?” Ruby asked Nic.

“Super hormones.” She replied.

“Shut up.” Ella said and picked up the box she went back to the kitchen and took out a spoon and went back to her room slamming the door.

“Wow. Probably a good thing she didn’t go home to your Dad.” Ruby told her.

Nic nodded.

“At least this way I still have a dad.”

“I can still hear talking,” Ella shouted from the bedroom.

Ruby and Nic started giggling.

Ella pulled out her phone and dialled.

“Hey,” he said, answering on the first ring.

“Hey.” She replied.

“I was just thinking about calling you.”

“How did you know I would be awake it’s like 1am.” She grouched.

“I said I was thinking of it I didn’t say I was stupid enough to do it.” he told her softly.

She chuckled.

“I love you.” She told him softly.

“I love you too. Will you be home tomorrow?” he said.

“Yes.” She said quickly.

“So what was your favourite?” he asked.

“The bear.” She grinned. “He’s with me now.”

He chuckled.

“I expected you to say the cheesecake.”

“Er…maybe.” She said and put the spoon down.

“How about we spend the day together tomorrow? Just us doing some romantic stuff. Let me make it up to you for the other night.”

“No. You don’t need to make it up to me. I was worried because you didn’t text and then got myself mad. I overreacted.” She murmured.

“No, I should have texted and let you know I was going to be late.”

She laughed.

“Are we arguing about who’s wrong now?”

He chuckled.

“How about we call it a draw?” he suggested.

“Just one question. How did you know I was at my studio?”

“Well that would be because I heard you talking to Nic about going to the city today and maybe meeting her for lunch.”

She laughed.

“Did everything go ok?” he asked.

“What?” she said quickly.

“I don’t know you were just worried that it might not go ok whatever it was.”

“I’ll tell you about it tomorrow.” She promised.

“I love you El.” He said again.

She laughed.

“We should probably get some sleep.” She said.

“Well I would go to bed but it was so much fun sleeping on the doorstep last night I thought I would try standing up against the trunk of a tree tonight.” He told her and heard her giggle.

“I love you.” She told him after a moment.

“Goodnight El.” He said softly.

“I’ll see you in the morning. Night.” She said and clicked the phone shut.

She put the cheesecake to one side, pulled the teddy bear closer to her and snuggled up. If anybody asked she would deny that she pretended she was snuggling up with Roman.

“It’s been weeks now, when exactly are you going to tell him?” Nic hissed at her as they took the dishes through to the kitchen. They had moved to the lounge to have desert after a lovely dinner cooked by Roman. He had suggested the other couple come over.

”Soon.” Ella told her.

“Not good enough Step-mama.” She said and placed her hand on her bump.

“Baby kicking?” Ella asked.

Nic nodded.

“All the time especially at night.” She grinned.

Geoff walked up behind her and put his arms round her.

“We should go.” He said. “We need our rest remember.”

Nic grinned at him.

“In a bit. I just want to catch up with Ella.” She told him.

“Ok that sounds like my cue to go talk to your Dad again.” Geoff told her and placed a kiss on her lips.

Nic smiled and waited until Geoff had disappeared back into the lounge before she looked at Ella and put her hands on her hips.

“Nic.” Ella said pleadingly.

“Ella.” She said looking her in the eye.

“It’s been magical the last few weeks. I know I should tell him but I’m scared.” She said finally.

“Scared of my dad?”

Ella nodded.

“But more than that. I don’t want to tell anyone in case something goes wrong.”

“Oh Ella.” Nic said softly.

“It was bad last time with all the pitying looks.” Ella said with a sniff. “And yes I know they mean well but it was still horrible.”

Nic took her in her arms and tried to hug her but the baby kicked protesting.

The two women laughed.

“Promise me step-mama. You have a week.”

Ella looked at her.

“Ok. The end of next week if I don’t tell him you can.” Ella said to her.

Nic took a step back and looked at her.

“Deal.” She said and held out her hand.

Ella shook on it before the two women went into the lounge.

“I’m ready to go now.” Nic said to Geoff.

He grinned and stood up.

“Come on wife.” He said to her.

She grinned.

Roman stood and held out his hand to Ella. She grinned and moved over to him.

“Know your place.” Nic told her.

“You are not too big for a spanking young lady.” She told her.

“I keep telling her that too.” Geoff said quickly.

“You..” Nic muttered blushing.

Roman and Ella laughed.

They walked the couple to the door and wished them a good night.

Nic turned round and ran up to her and placed a kiss on her cheek.

“Goodnight Step-mama, don’t keep him up too late now that you have the house to yourself.”

Ella laughed.

They watched them go before closing the door.

Epilogue/Prologue

Gardy stood in the bushes outside Roman’s house. It was late at night and he could hear the strains of laughter coming from inside. Soon, he promised himself, soon he would get his revenge on the other man. He crushed out the cigarette he was smoking under a booted foot and started to move away, stopping when he saw the door open. The blonde piece that was Roman’s daughter stepped out. He wouldn’t mind a piece of that he thought remembering the last time he was here and she was jailbait. He still managed to grab a feel though he thought his body stirring in response at the memory. She had her arms round the one called Geoff. His eyes narrowed as he watched them start to walk away and then the identity of the woman next to Roman struck him. ‘Well, well,’ he thought, ‘things come full circle after all’, as he recognised her. And that would be even better than stealing a bit from the other piece. Roman always did have a thing for that woman.

Suddenly the blonde, Nicole ran back to the door and placed a kiss on the other woman’s cheek.

“Goodnight Step-mama!” she called. “Don’t keep him up too late now you have the house to yourself!” and then ran back to the other man.

Gardy laughed out loud and then put his hand over his mouth to stifle the sound, even so he still saw his old mate look as though he was staring directly at him. “Dammit!” he swore softly, he would have to be more careful, his old mate wasn’t as soft as he’d thought he was.

But now, now he had the perfect plan, he would take Roman’s wife from him. Take her and kill her. And make Roman watch while he did so.

Comments

Archived