Plain Sailing

Guest bradyell

Glad you all liked the cheese :D

Chapter 31

“You two heading off?” Irene asked

The party had been in full swing all afternoon and into the night it was now approaching 10pm. Aden had noticed Belle was looking tired so had convinced her to head home.

“Yeah, you don’t think it’s rude do you?” Belle replied

“Course it’s not rude! Belle, you’ve been through a lot this past week or so, you need your rest”

“That’s what I said” Aden told Irene “but she doesn’t seem to believe me”

“You listen to that husband of yours darl, he knows what he’s talking about.”

“I suppose” Belle sighed. “Irene, would you tell everyone we said bye just in case we missed anyone.”

“I will, goodnight kids!”

“Kids? I’m married Irene I think I’m a bit past kids!” Belle laughed

“You’ll always be kids to me” Irene laughed giving both Belle and Aden a quick hug

“See you soon”

Aden drove them home and smiled as he pulled up in the parking space outside the apartment. Belle had fallen asleep on the short journey her head resting against the window. He sat for a while just watching her sleep wondering if he’d be able to carry her to the apartment without waking her but realised that it wouldn’t be possible especially as she was leaning against the door. He reached out and ran the back of his fingers down her cheek.

“babe, we’re home.”

Belle stirred but didn’t fully wake up

“come on sleepy” he ran his fingers through her hair and lifted her head from the window

“what, where are we?” Belle said groggily

Aden laughed “We’re home baby, lets get you inside and into bed.”

He was out of the car and opening Belle’s door before she had chance to properly take off her seatbelt.

He helped her out of the car and wrapped his arm around her waist as she leaned against him.

“I’m so tired” she said as they made there way inside

“No really?” Aden smiled “I’d never have guessed”

As soon as they were inside he steered her towards the bedroom where she collapsed onto the bed.

“Come on honey, you need to get changed” Aden laughed pulling on her hands

Belle reluctantly let him pull her to a sitting up position then waved her feet in his direction

“will you help?” she asked in her sweetest voice

“if I must!” he laughed as he pulled her shoes off.

The next morning Aden was back at work. He left Belle sleeping whilst he had a shower and got dressed then went to wake her as he was leaving

“babe, I’m off now” he said sitting down on the bed next to her

“Ok” belle muttered before snuggling down into the covers

“hey, no kiss” Aden said with a pout

She opened one eye and smiled at him reaching out a hand and grabbing his t-shirt pulling him down to place a kiss on his willing lips.

“Love you” she whispered into his lips

“Love you too, see you later yeah” he said giving her one last kiss before leaving.

Belle rolled over and closed her eyes. She was due back at work that day too but had at least another hour before she needed to get ready.

When her alarm finally went off she jumped out of bed but had to sit straight back down as she was gripped by a dizzy spell.

She took a some deep breaths before standing up again, this time she felt fine and put it down to getting up too quick.

By 3pm Belle had caught up with everyone in her office and had made a good start on catching up on what she had missed whilst she had been off. She was in the middle of typing up a story when her phone bleeped signalling a txt message.

Hey wifey, what time you finishing today? Wanna meet your hubby for dinner out?

She smiled as she replied

Wifey?? I don’t think so mr! but yeah dinner sounds good. Got another few hours here yet though!

His reply came within a minute causing her to laugh out loud

A few hours! I’m having withdrawal symptoms here! I’m missin you like you wouldn’t believe!

As much as she would have loved to finish work to meet him then Belle knew she needed to finish this piece before going home.

I believe it babe, feelings mutual! 2 hours tops I promise. See you in the diner. Love you x x x

If I make it that long!! Love you too x x x x Wifey x x x x

She laughed again at his reply causing a few of her colleagues to look up at her. She turned back to her computer screen and began to type furiously, the thought of reaching Aden earlier than promised urging her on.

She had finished just over an hour later and was shutting down her computer when she came over all dizzy again. She sat back down on her chair and rested her head on the desk

“Belle are you ok?”

One of her colleagues came rushing over to her desk

“yeah yeah I’m fine” she said sitting up slowly, the dizziness having passed again “think it’s just being stuck inside all day!”

“If you’re sure”

“Yeah I’m sure, I’m heading home now anyway, probably just need an early night”

“it’s not the early nights that have caused this is it?”

“What?” Belle asked not understanding

“could you be pregnant?”

“No, no definitely not” belle insisted and found herself struggling to hold back tears. “I have to go” she said picking up her bag and dashing out leaving her colleague staring at her opened mouthed.

Belle wiped her tears away as she reached the diner and managed a smile when she spotted Aden’s car.

As she walked in she noticed Aden’s face light up when he spotted her but then it fell as he looked at her face properly.

“Babe what’s wrong” he asked walking over to her

“why would you think something’s wrong?”

“Because you’ve been crying” he answered concern evident in his voice

“You can tell huh?”

“Yeah I can tell! Come here” he said drawing her into a hug “what happened?”

She looked around her to make sure nobody was listening to their conversation

“one of the girls at work asked me if I was pregnant”

Aden tightened his hold around her waist and placed a kiss in her hair

“Ah Babe!”

“I thought I was doing ok with it but…”

“It’ll take time Belle. You are doing really well so far”

“I wouldn’t be if it weren’t for my fantastic husband”

“I’m glad to help baby” he said giving her a kiss “so what made her ask?”

“Erm I’m not sure”

“Belle!”

“What?”

“what happened?”

“I had kind of a dizzy turn”

“what! God! Here, sit down” he said releasing her from his arms and pulling out a chair

“Aden I’m fine, I just stood up too quick or something”

“Was that the only time it’s happened?”

Belle tried to avoid his eyes as she sat down

“Belle!”

“It happened this morning when I got out of bed too. Like I said though I just got up too quick”

“you need to go and see Rachel”

“Aden I‘m……”

“No Belle! You are not going to argue with me about this we are going to see Rachel”

He had already pulled his phone from his pocket and was searching for Rachel’s number.

“Babe, I’ll go tomorrow”

Aden ignored her as he held his phone up to his ear

Within half an hour they were at the hospital. Rachel had been in to speak to Belle and had taken a few samples to check for possible causes of the dizziness.

They had been waiting for an hour for the results. Belle was sitting propped up on a bed and Aden was perched on the side

“This is stupid Aden! Let’s just go home”

“No Belle” Aden was insistent “You don’t just have dizzy spells for no reason and after everything that’s happened I’m not taking the risk”

“fine, ok, we’ll wait!”

“I know we will” he smiled

“You know….”

Belle was interrupted by Rachel walking into the room

“Hey guys” she said pulling up a seat “Belle when you were at the hospital in the city did they do an ultrasound?”

“No” belle answered “they just took blood and stuff. Why Rach, what’s going on?”

Belle looked to Aden as he gripped her hand he was staring at Rachel

“This is going to be a bit strange for you guys to take in but Belle you are still pregnant”

“What?” Aden asked

“I can’t be sure but it would appear that you were pregnant with twins Belle and the bleeding you experienced was a miscarriage but only of one of the babies. It’s not common but I have heard of it happening.”

“I can’t……” Belle was lost for words

“And the baby that’s there? Is it ok?” Aden asked

“I don’t know that Aden, I’m going to arrange an ultrasound for you right away Belle ok”

“ok” she whispered

“I’ll be right back sweetie” Rachel said rubbing Belle’s arm

“Aden” Belle whispered when Rachel had left the room.

“I know babe” he said gathering her in his arms

“we have a baby” she cried

“I know”

“Oh god, what if…”

“Let’s just wait and see yeah” he said

He wanted so much to be happy about Rachel’s news but he needed for her to confirm that everything was ok first.

Rachel arrived back a few minutes later and told them they could have the ultra sound right away. She took them to the maternity department and introduced them to another doctor

“Belle, Aden this is Dr Simpson, she’s going to do the ultra sound for you.”

“Hi Belle, now Rachel has filled me in on your situation so I’m sure that you want to find out what’s going on as soon as possible”

All Belle could manage was a nod

“right, if you could hop up onto the bed for me and lift up your top. That’s it. Aden you can take a seat here” she said gesturing to a stool next to the bed.

He walked over and took hold of Belle’s hand squeezing it to try and reassure her.

She had done as the doctor had asked and was now laying with her head turned towards Aden but her eyes were closed.

“Now Belle, I’m just going to put some gel on your tum, it’s going to be a little cold”

Belle winced as the cold gel was placed onto her stomach but it was the only movement she made her eyes were still closed and her hand was still inside Aden’s.

The doctor moved the probe across her stomach and turned towards the screen that was placed near the end of the bed.

Aden moved his eyes from Belle to the screen but couldn’t make out what he was looking at so raised his eyes to Rachel. She was staring intently at the screen and Aden’s heart stomach flipped as he saw her face break out into a smile. She looked up at him and nodded her head. It was all the confirmation he needed.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gilly i'm sure you are gonna enjoy a part of this chapter and Taniya - it's your fave couple :wink:

Chapter 32

"Belle, open your eyes." Aden was in awe at the image before him

"Is it ok?" she asked in a whisper as she opened her eyes keeping them firmly trained on Aden's face

"From what I can see Belle, you have a perfectly growing baby here" Dr Simpson reassured her.

Slowly Belle turned her head towards the screen as relief flooded through her features. her hand began to squeeze Aden's.

"I don't believe it!" she whispered through her tears stealing a quick glance at Aden. he was staring at the screen tears running down his cheeks. "That's our baby"

"yeah it is" he said tearing his eyes away from the screen for a brief moment. he leaned over and placed a tender kiss on Belle's lips "our baby!"

Rachel smiled at the couple "do you guys know what you're seeing?"

Aden let out a small chuckle "not a clue Rach" he said returning his eyes to the screen.

Rachel laughed as did Dr Simpson. She pointed to the screen "ok see this here" she drew her finger round a dark grey shape on the screen "that is baby"

Aden and belle both nodded “and this” she said drawing her finger along a slightly lighter coloured strip along the top “is babies spine and here are the feet”

“Oh my god it’s got feet!”

The three women all laughed at Aden.

“Yes Aden it has feet. Looking at this I’d say you are roughly 9 weeks pregnant Belle”

“This is just…..” Belle couldn’t find the words to describe how she was feeling at that moment

“would you like to hear the heart beat?” Rachel asked

“It has… We can… Yeah!” Aden couldn’t hide his excitement

“Belle?”

“Yes, yes please” she said quietly

Dr Simpson pushed a few buttons on the computer and moved the probe a little more around Belle’s stomach. Suddenly the room was filled with a rhythmic whooshing sound.

“Aden” Belle whispered again.

He tore his eyes from the screen and turned them to his wife. Her eyes, like his, were filled with tears but there was also a light in them that had never been there before. Aden didn’t think he’d ever seen her look more beautiful. He let go of his hold on her hand and brushed his fingers down her cheeks wiping away her tears.

They spent a further hour at the hospital with Dr Simpson filling in forms and running through what they could expect over the next 8 or so months.

Afterwards they drove straight home and settled on the couch wrapped in each others arms. Aden was holding onto the picture of the baby that they had been given.

“Can you believe this?” Belle asked taking the picture from him

“Not really!” Aden answered

“You are happy though?” she lowered the picture and turned her head so that she could look him in the eye.

“Honestly?”

Belle nodded and tried to smile at him but just the idea that Aden might not be happy about this caused her breath to catch in her throat

“When we got married Belle and I was looking into your eyes as you said your vows to me, I honestly thought it wasn’t possible to be any happier than I was at that moment. But now….”

He trailed off and placed his hand gently on her stomach

“…now I realise it is possible. I’m happier than I have ever been babe.”

“Me too! I mean I know this wasn’t planned and after everything that has happened it was like so unexpected but it just feels like it’s meant to be you know.”

“Yeah I know!” he said snatching the picture back from her with a smile

“Hey I was looking at that!” Belle cried pulling it back

“We can look together” Aden manoeuvred the two of them so that they were laying down. He wrapped one arm around her shoulder and placed his other hand back on her stomach.

Belle held the picture up so that they could both see it.

“So do you think it’s a boy or a girl?” Aden asked

Belle laughed “I haven’t thought about it. But I don’t care either way! You?”

“Erm…” He lifted his hand from her stomach and moved her hand that was holding the picture closer to his face “ a boy definitely a boy!”

“And your basis for that theory is?….” Belle asked with a giggle

“Dunno! Just gut instinct I guess” he answered lowering his hand back to her stomach

“Well I don’t think we should paint the nursery blue just yet” she laughed

“You’ll see” Aden said grinning “Anyway boy or girl it’s going to be the luckiest baby ever”

“Oh yeah why’s that?” Belle asked turning towards him

“Because..” he stopped to kiss her “…it’s going to have a mommy and daddy that love it more than anything in the world”

“yeah it is” she grinned

The next day the couple had arranged to meet at the diner after work so that they could tell Irene and Roman the good news. Aden had been sending Belle txt messages all day checking that she was ok.

She was just getting into her car after work when her phone bleeped. She rolled her eyes as she picked it up fully expecting it to be Aden. She was pleasantly surprised when she saw it was in fact from Annie.

Hi Belle, I have a favour to ask you - can you meet me at the diner soon? Annie x x

She quickly sent a reply before starting the car

Just heading there now to meet Aden so see you there x x

When she arrived Aden was already there chatting to Leah. She snuck up behind him and wrapped her arms around his waist planting a kiss on the back of his neck.

“Hey you” she said

“Hello Wifey!” he replied turning slightly to look at her

“Did we not discuss the wifey thing yesterday!” Belle scolded although she still had a smile on her face.

“Can’t resist - Wifey” he laughed

“Leah what have I done? Marrying this buffoon!”

Leah laughed “Ah young love!”

“So are Irene and Roman here?” Aden asked

“yeah they’re in the kitchen” Leah answered

“ok if we go through?”

“Sure go ahead” she gestured and Aden and Belle walked into the kitchen.

“To what do we owe this pleasure?” Irene asked

“well” said Belle “we have some news for you”

“babe we need to fill Roman in on what happened first” Aden added before she could continue

“What happened?” Roman asked turning to them

“we didn’t say anything because we didn’t want people fussing but Belle didn’t have a bug when we got back from Fiji - she’d had a miscarriage, well…” Aden explained

“oh my god” Roman said “I’m so sorry guys, god!”

“It’s ok Roman”

“I don’t know what to say…”

“Roman honestly it’s fine”

“you seem to be handling it pretty well darl” Irene said

“Well the thing is” Belle began “I went to see Rachel yesterday and…”

“is everything ok? There aren’t any complications are there luvvie?” Irene interrupted

“Everything is better than fine Irene” Belle grinned

“I’m not following darl”

“I’m still pregnant!”

“What?” Irene and Roman both said at the same time

“We are having a baby?” Aden grinned “ Belle is nine weeks pregnant” he waved the ultrasound picture in the air

“Wow! Guys” Roman took the picture from Aden “Wow!”

“So how is this possible?” Irene asked “After the other week?”

Belle explained what Rachel had told them. Once she was over the shock and Belle had reassured her that everything was ok Irene was over the moon for the couple giving them both a huge hug.

“Hello! Anybody here?” Annie called from the counter

“Is this gonna be general knowledge?” Irene asked Belle before she could walk out of the kitchen.

“I think maybe just family, for now” Belle said “Just for another few weeks”

“Fine with me darl”

“Hey Annie” Belle called walking out of the kitchen she smiled as she noticed Aden already lifting Meg from her pushchair. She stood for a moment to watch him

“Hi Princess!” he said as he lifted Meg out “looking gorgeous as always!” he gave her a kiss as he sat down making her comfortable in his arms. He looked up when he felt Belle’s eyes on him. He winked at her before returning his attention to Meg “so missy have you been a good girl for your mommy?”

He looked up at Annie who nodded

“That’s what I like to hear! Well done baby girl” he gave her another kiss on the top of her head.

“So what’s this favour you had to ask?” Belle asked as she sat down

“Well! There is a camping trip this weekend and I’d kind of really like to go but Irene is going to visit a friend this weekend and Geoff…..”

“Annie” Belle interrupted “you don’t need to ask! We’ll look after Meg!”

“Really, you wouldn’t mind?”

“Course we don’t mind do we babe?” Belle asked Aden

“not at all, it’ll do us good to get some practice in”

“Practice? Why would you…. Oh, no way! Belle are you…..?”

“Shhhhh” Belle interrupted her “Yes I am Annie but we want to keep it quiet for the time being, just family”

“Oh Wow!! This is soooo exciting!!” Annie quietly squealed “meg is gonna have a cousin to play with! I am so happy for you!”

“Thanks Annie” Aden smiled at her “And what about you bub? Are you happy for auntie Belle and uncle Aden?” Meg gurgled causing all three of them to laugh “I think that’s a yes don’t you guys?”

Bit of uncle Adenness just cause i love writing it so much :wink:

Chapter 33

Aden went straight to the beach house after leaving work the following Friday. When he arrived Geoff and Nicole were in the lounge. Geoff sitting on the floor next to Meg who was lying on a matt on the floor. Nicole was sitting on the couch a cross expression on her face.

“Hey guys, what’s up?” Aden asked as he walked through the kitchen

“Oh, hi Aden” Geoff said looking up from Meg

“Hi Nic”

“Yeah whatever!” she replied grumpily.

“Should I even bother to ask what’s eating you?” Aden asked as he sat down next to her.

“I’m just fed up with not being trusted” Nicole snapped

“Nicole will you leave it” Goff sighed “Annie has her reasons”

“Ah” Aden realised what was bothering Nicole “This is about Meg coming over to our place this weekend”

“Yes it is!” Nicole whined “People seem to think we are complete imbeciles. We are perfectly capable of looking after a baby!”

“ok” Aden began “first of all, you and Geoff only have 6 working limbs between you! Second, no offence, but you are hardly the maternal type Nic! You didn’t even hold Meg on Sunday because you were scared she would throw up on your dress!”

“It was a Gucci dress”

“Oh ok then, you look after her but just make sure you let her know which of your outfits she can and can’t throw up on!”

“I don’t want her throwing up on any of my clothes” Nicole cried

“My point exactly” Aden answered “I don’t think it’s a question of trust Nic, just what’s best for Meg and Annie knows that Belle and I can give her what she needs.”

“We can too!” Nicole grumbled

“Not really” said Geoff “ I mean I can never get her to stop crying, I have no idea how to make her bottles and I don’t even want to think about changing nappies!”

Aden laughed at the look of horror on Nicole’s face.

“See, you didn’t even think about all that stuff did you?”

“Erm” she squirmed “Not really”

“Hello!” Belle walked through the kitchen “what have I missed?” she asked as she sat down on the floor next to Geoff and Meg.

“Just filling Nicole in on the realities of looking after a baby”

“Ah right! So have you…?” Belle asked

“Nah” Aden replied “I was waiting for you”

Belle smiled “Cool. Erm, we have some news for you.”

“What are you getting divorced already?” Nicole asked

Aden chuckled “There is no chance of that ever happening!”

“Well this is going to be a shock especially for you Nicole, But…….”

Belle looked at Aden telling him with just a look and a nod of her head to continue.

“But?” Nicole asked

“We’re having a baby!” Aden told them with a huge smile lighting up his whole face.

“Oh wow! You’re pregnant!” Geoff instantly leaned over to hug Belle.

“Yep, nine weeks” belle said placing a hand on her stomach

“Ah wow! Congratulations! Isn’t this great Nic?”

They all looked at Nicole who so far had remained silent

“I don’t understand. How?” she asked

“Well Nic… When a man and a woman love each other….”

“Don’t be dumb Aden!” Nicole interrupted him “You know what I mean. I thought…”

Nicole trailed off remembering her promise not to talk about the miscarriage.

“It’s ok Nicole.” said Belle before turning to Geoff “When we got back from Fiji I had to go to hospital and they told me I’d had a miscarriage but it turns out that I was pregnant with twins initially and I only lost one of the babies.”

“God” said Nicole “that’s really…… I don’t know? Weird!”

“There is nothing weird about our baby Nicole!” Aden said defensively

“I meant good weird! Kind of like a miracle! Ooooo if it’s a girl you could totally call her that!”

“Miracle?” Belle questioned “You think we would name our child miracle?!”

“It’s unique”

“We’ll let you explain that to her after she’s been beaten up in the playground” said Aden with a laugh .

“It’s not gonna be an issue because my child…”

“Our child” Aden cut in

“our child” Belle continued with a smile “Is not going to be called Miracle”

“What’s this about miracles?” Annie asked as she walked down the stairs laden with bags

“Nicole is suggesting baby names” Belle explained

“Miracle! You can’t call your baby Miracle!”

“Don’t worry Annie we wont be” Belle replied firmly

“Er Annie” Aden asked standing up “What’s with all the bags?”

“These are Megs things”

“I thought she was staying for the weekend - not moving in!” he said taking the bags from her.

Annie laughed “Babies need a lot of stuff Aden - get used to it!”

“This much? For a weekend?”

“Yep, plus there’s her carrycot and car seat and will you need her pushchair?”

“You know what? I’m gonna start loading the car before you decide she needs the kitchen sink!”

Belle lifted Meg from the car when they arrived back at their apartment.

“God I thought we’d never get here! You don’t usually drive that slow”

“Well” said Aden walking around the car towards her “I don’t usually have such precious cargo do I?” he looked down at Meg and then placed his hand on Belle’s stomach.

“You are too cute you know that?” Belle said stretching up so she could kiss him

“Yeah I know but don’t go telling everyone and ruining my rep!”

“Hah! Don’t make me laugh!! Rep! come on Meg, let’s leave deluded uncle Aden to bring the bags in” she walked to the apartment leaving Aden laughing behind her.

By the time he had unloaded the car Belle was curled up on the couch with Meg lying on her lap.

“Ah so this is how it’s gonna be all weekend is it? You two with your feet up and me doing all the work?”

“Pretty much, yeah!” Belle laughed

“And when our baby comes along…?”

“Yep, then too!”

“Right, well as long as I know where I stand” he laughed as he sat down next to her

Leaning over to give her a kiss

“Hey Nutmeg, what do you think we should have for dinner?” he asked “What was that? Pizza?”

“You are such a dork!” Belle said laughing at him

“But you love me right?”

She nodded at him “I adore you Aden”

“Feeling’s mutual babe” he leant in for another kiss pulling away when Meg began to whimper “ah baby girl, we love you too!” he said picking her up and cuddling her to his chest “I’ve got a feeling that someone is gonna keep us on our toes all weekend!” he said to Belle.

Later on that night Meg was proving Aden right! After they had had their dinner they had given her a bath, dressed her in a sleep suit and Aden had given her a bottle. She was now crying at the top of her lungs and even Aden was struggling to pacify her.

“Come on baby” he said as he paced back and forth across the lounge gently bouncing her up and down “sshhhh good girl, come on.” he soothed. “Belle how long has it been?”

“half an hour!” she said looking at her watch “shall I try again?”

“Nah it’s ok” he said “Come on Meg, half an hour! Even Nicole doesn’t moan for half an hour straight! Please baby girl!” his hand was patting her back as he spoke and slowly her cries seemed to subside “That’s it” he whispered “much better” he continued walking her for another few minutes until he was sure she was asleep. Gently he placed her into her carrycot holding his breath as he pulled his arm out from underneath her.

“Thank god!” Belle whispered “I thought it was never going to end!”

“I know! God we’ve got all this to look forward to babe” he said as he collapsed onto the couch next to her.

Belle placed her hand on her stomach “Our baby is going to be a good baby that doesn’t cry!”

Aden laughed as he placed his hand on top of hers “I hate to burst your bubble honey but I don’t think they exist!”

“Nor do I” Belle groaned “But I’m going to delude myself that they do!”

Aden laughed again but stopped quickly when Meg stirred in her sleep.

“Shhhhh!” Belle warned him “Do not wake her up!”

“I know, I know” he whispered “I reckon we should probably go to sleep whilst we’ve got the chance though”

“You’re probably right” belle answered

“I’m always right!” he said as he stood up and reached out to help Belle to her feet.

He carefully carried Meg’s carrycot into their bedroom and placed it at the foot of their bed on the stand he had set up in there.

They got ready for bed in silence, worried that the slightest sound would wake Meg.

They had been in bed for ten minutes and had just finished saying goodnight to each other when Meg began to cry.

“You are kidding me!” Aden groaned

“I’ll get her” Belle said climbing out of the bed.

She picked Meg up and began to rock her instantly “Hey little lady! Now I know you’re not hungry because uncle Aden said you finished all your milk. You don’t need changing because we just did that so what’s the problem huh?” She continued rocking her and walked back and forth across the room. It took twenty minutes before Meg fell back to sleep and Belle sat on the edge of the bed with her for a further ten minutes just to make sure she was fast asleep. She gently placed her back into the cot and climbed back into bed next to Aden who instantly wrapped an arm around her.

“your turn next” she whispered

“Yeah ok” he said.

Within minutes they were both asleep.

Two hours later Aden dragged himself out of bed and walked over to the cot.

“baby girl! What’s going on huh?” he said as he lifted her out and cradled her against her chest. It was the second time he had been up with her since Belle had put her down and she had also had another turn in between.

“maybe we should try a bottle now” he said to Belle who had sat up when he got out of bed. “It’s three hours since her last one”

“Yeah ok, I’ll go make it.”

She walked to the kitchen dragging her feet with obvious tiredness.

Aden went back to pacing the room Meg still cradled against his chest, still screaming.

“Meg sweetie, come on! This isn’t helping any of is it? Now Auntie Belle has gone to make you some food so that’s gonna make you feel much better isn’t it hey? Let’s just stop all this fuss, what do you say?” He sat down on the bed and held her out in front of him so he could look at her face. Her cries died down slightly but didn’t stop. “Baby come on, it’s not that bad I promise” he brought her back to cuddle against his chest patting her back as he had earlier but this time it didn’t have the desired affect.

Belle returned a few minutes later she took Meg from Aden and sat down leaning against the head board to feed her.

She tried for a few minutes but Meg didn’t appear to want to take it

“she wont have it babe” she said to Aden “What now?”

“Let’s try changing her, she might want it after that”

Belle lay Meg down on the bed whilst Aden gathered everything they’d need to change her.

Almost as soon as Belle had laid her down meg stopped crying

Belle and Aden looked up at each other hardly daring to speak.

“Should we still change her?” Belle whispered “I’m scared to disturb her”

“Well she’s not asleep and she’s gonna need changing so I reckon we are gonna have to risk it” Aden answered

Belle slowly undid the poppers on the sleep suit and when Meg didn’t start to cry again she sped up. She managed to change her nappy and get her re-dressed without any more tears.

“What now?” she whispered to Aden

“Let me try something” he replied quietly. He reached over and moved each of their pillows over slightly making a gap in the middle. He carefully lifted meg and placed her in the gap he had made. She lay there contentedly looking around the room. Belle and Aden climbed carefully into the bed either side of her and they both lay on their sides and watched her as she drifted off to sleep.

“can you believe that babe?” belle whispered raising her eyes to Aden’s. She chuckled quietly when she saw that he was already asleep. She leant over Meg kissing her cheek then Aden’s before turning off the lamp and drifting off to sleep herself.

Chapter 34

The next morning Aden was woken by a tiny hand hitting the side of his face. He opened his eyes and smiled at Meg, he looked past her and noticed Belle was still asleep so he picked meg up and quietly carried her out of the bedroom.

“Hey princess, I bet you’re hungry eh?” he said walking with her to the lounge. “How about you chill out here and I go get breakfast ready?” He lay her down on her matt on the floor and made his way to the kitchen. Meg started to whimper before he reached his destination

“Hey baby girl, I’m still here” he called and smiled when her crying ceased at the sound of his voice. “Good girl meg, I’ll be with you in two tics”

He filled the kettle and put it on, put some bread in the toaster and took one of Meg’s bottles out of the fridge. After placing the bottle to warm up in a jug of hot water he made himself some toast and a coffee and took them along with the jug into the lounge placing them all on the coffee table.

“See that didn’t take long did it?” he picked Meg up from the floor and sat down on the couch with her laying her on his knees so her feet were kicking against his chest. “who’re you kicking missy?” he asked taking one of her feet into his hands and planting tiny kisses on the bottom of it “You know you’re lucky you’re so cute because I wouldn’t let just anyone get away with that.”

“Get away with what?” Belle asked walking in and sitting down

“morning babe” he leant over to give her a kiss “someone was practicing her footie skills on me” he explained to Belle

“ah I see, well you kick away sweetheart!” she said to Meg

“Kick away?”

“Yeah, I’m gonna be getting kicked by this little one soon enough” she said rubbing her stomach “so it’s only fair that you get your share! Meg’s just looking out for her Auntie Belle aren’t you honey?”

“oh I can see how this is going to work!” Aden laughed “all girls together right”

“Yep” Belle laughed lifting Meg from his lap “we have to stick together don’t we sweetie” Meg gurgled causing the both of them to laugh.

“So what are we going to do today?” Aden asked as Belle picked up Megs bottle and began to feed her “Besides pick on me I mean!”

Belle laughed “I thought we’d just hang around here, maybe go for a walk, lunch at the diner…”

“sounds perfect” Aden said

They spent the morning playing with Meg who had been happy all morning but as lunch time approached she had started to get grizzly.

Aden was trying to give her a bottle but she wouldn’t take it from him

“She’s not interested in this Belle” he said putting the bottle down.

“Why don’t we walk over to the diner” Belle suggested “the fresh air might do her good”

“Yeah ok” Aden agreed “you wanna take her whilst I get the pushchair from the car”

Belle agreed so Aden handed her over and headed out to the car. When he still hadn’t returned ten minutes later Belle carried Meg outside to see what he was doing. She let out a laugh when she saw him

“Problems?”

He was wrestling with Megs pushchair his face a picture of frustration

“This stupid thing wont open!” he said giving it a rough shake.

“Here swap, I’ll do it.”

She handed Meg over to him and within thirty seconds had the pushchair open and ready for Meg to be placed inside.

“You’ve done that before” Aden said somewhat defensively

“No I haven’t” Belle replied “I just used a bit of common sense rather than brute force!”

“Yeah Whatever” Aden said with a smile “Are we ready to go?” He had placed Meg gently into the pushchair and was rocking it gently back and forth lulling her to sleep.

“I’ll just go grab the bags” Belle answered.

Two minutes later she returned with her bag and Megs change bag and hung them on the pushchair before they headed off.

“Who said you get to push anyway?” she asked Aden

“Well I don’t want you exerting yourself in your condition” Aden smiled knowing full well what Belle’s reaction was going to be.

“Aden I’m telling you right now that we are not going to spend the next seven months arguing over what I can and can not do! It’s my body and I’m perfectly capable….”

“Babe” he cut her off “I was kidding!” he manoeuvred the pushchair to in front or her and she began to push freeing his hands so he could wrap an arm loosely around her shoulder.

“Seriously though Aden, I wont do anything that would put our baby at risk”

“God Belle! I know that, you don’t have to tell me!”

“I’m so happy babe but worried at the same time you know? There is so much that could go wrong!”

“it’s gonna be fine Belle” he said tightening his grip around her shoulder “we are going to have a perfect healthy baby”

“I hope so”

“Trust me I can feel it!” he replied dropping a kiss on her head

“You and your feelings she laughed!”

By the time they reached the diner Aden was carrying Meg in his arms as she had began to cry again and wouldn’t settle in the pushchair.

“I see you two have your hands full” Colleen commented as they walked in

“I hope you know what you are doing? The poor little mite doesn’t sound too happy”

“She’s fine colleen” Belle snapped as they sat down at a table

“Could you just warm up her bottle for us please” Aden asked as he gently bounced Meg up and down and Belle handed over a bottle.

“Ok and anything for you two?”

“I’ll have an OJ please” he asked

“same” Belle replied “please” she added noticing the look on Colleens face

A few minutes later Roman came from the kitchen with their drinks and Meg’s bottle.

“Hey! Your magic touch worn off?” he asked Aden with a laugh gesturing to Meg who had begun to cry once again

“funny” Aden replied

“I don’t know what’s wrong with her” Belle said “She’s not usually this fussy”

“Maybe she’s just missing her mom” Roman answered

“I hope that’s all it is”

Aden tried again to give Meg her bottle but gave up after a few minutes when she was still crying. He stood up with her and began to rock her again

“Come on Meg, shhh baby” he soothed.

“Here shall I have a try?” Roman asked holding his arms out

“Gladly mate” Aden said passing Meg over gently.

Roman walked outside with her leaving Aden and Belle to have their drinks. Although they were chatting both of them were conscious that they could still hear Meg crying in the background.

“Babe, she’s still crying” Aden said after ten minutes

“You wanna take her home?” Belle asked

“I think we should” Aden replied “She might settle better there like she did last night”

“ok babe, lets go”

Belle collected up their things and wheeled the pushchair outside whilst Aden went to fetch Meg.

An hour later and they were still no closer to settling Meg than they had been at the diner. They had tried everything that they could think of but she would not stop crying.

Aden picked her up from the bed where they had lay her in the hope that she might settle there as she had done the night before.

“Baby girl, please stop crying. Please, just for uncle Aden hey?” he bounced her up and down with one arm and ran his free hand over her head “wow sweetie, you feel pretty hot!” He gently held the back of his hand to her forehead as he walked into the lounge to find Belle “Babe, she feels really hot” he said his voice full of concern.

Belle placed her hand on Megs head in the same way Aden had done

“Yeah she does, I think there is a thermometer in the bag.” she quickly hunted through Megs things until she found the small box containing the thermometer. It was a strip that you place onto the babies forehead so she carefully did this waiting for a few seconds as directed before reading the result.

“Oh my god Aden! It’s 104!!

“Is that bad, what should it be?” he asked in a panicked voice

“It says the average is around 97! What should we do?”

“We’re going to the hospital” he said already walking towards the door.

Don't hate me :ph34r:

Not really sure about the ending but i'm sleepy and wanted to get it up before i went to bed! hope you all enjoy it :)

Chapter 35

Aden drove to the hospital as fast as he dared. Meg continued to cry and him and Belle spent the journey trying to soothe her rather than voice their concerns to each other.

Belle unstrapped Meg as Aden was parking the car and they ran her into the hospital desperately looking for somebody to help them

“Julie” Belle called to the nurse who she recognised from her previous visits to the hospital “can you help us? It’s Meg”

The nurse saw the baby cradled in Belle’s arms and instantly hurried into action

“take her in there” she gestured to a room across the corridor “I’ll find a doctor”

She ran off to find somebody as Belle carried Meg into the room closely followed by Aden.

“it’s ok sweetheart” Belle soothed as she lay Meg onto the bed.

Aden came to stand next to her and ran his finger gently up and down Megs cheek

“hey baby girl, it’s gonna be all better soon I promise” he whispered.

“Hey, what’s going on?” Rachel asked as she entered the room

“Rach, thank god!! Belle exclaimed as Rachel approached the bed looking down at Meg. “She’s got a really high temperature, 104!”

“Wow, that is pretty high, anything else?”

“We’ll she’s been crying and we can’t get her to stop, she wouldn’t take her feed, we’ve done everything we could think of Rach, we….”

“Belle, calm down, it’s ok.” Rachel said taking hold of Belle’s hand “You guys have done the right thing bringing her here. Now we are going to run some tests ok find out what the problem is. She’s going to be fine ok?”

Belle nodded although she wasn’t entirely convinced

“Babe” Aden began placing his arm around Belle’s waist “We need to call Annie”

“That’s a good idea Aden” Rachel turned from Meg to look at him “Meg is in good hands ok. You two go and call Annie and I’ll come and get you when we are done here.”

He leant down and placed a gentle kiss on Megs forehead “We’ll be back really soon baby ok? You be a good girl and let Rachel help you.”

Belle copied his actions whispering her own words of comfort to Meg before Aden placed his hand gently on her back and guided her out of the room.

As soon as they reached the corridor Belle broke down in tears. She leant into Aden as he wrapped his arms around her holding her as tightly as he could without hurting her.

“It’s ok babe, she’s gonna be ok”

“Annie trusted us to look after her Aden!” She said through her tears

“We did Belle, this would have happened even if she was with Annie, we couldn’t have done anything more.”

“I just feel so helpless”

“me too baby!” he placed a kiss on the top of her head and they stood in each others arms for a moment taking comfort from each other.

Aden pulled away first removing his phone from his pocket.

“I’ll phone Miles and ask him to bring Annie home. It’ll be easier for her hearing it from him rather than over the phone.”

“good idea” Belle said “I’ll give Irene a call, she’d want to know.”

They walked away from each other both making their separate phone calls. Belle finished first and walked over to where Aden was. She leant her head on his shoulder as his free arm automatically encircled her waist.

“We’ll see you soon then mate, bye.” he said into his phone before hanging up. “He’s gonna go and tell her now and leave straight away, he reckons it’ll take about two hours for them to get back.”

“Hopefully Rach will know what’s going on by then” Belle said as he wrapped his other arm around her

“I hope so” he sighed “Listen don’t bite my head off but please try not to get too stressed ok”

“that’s easier said than done” she answered “but I’ll try I promise”

She melted into his hug and they were still standing in each others arms a few minutes later when Rachel came out of Megs room to find them. As soon as they saw her they broke apart and walked over to meet her half way

“how is she?” they both asked at the same time

“well she’s settled down a little, we’ve put in an IV and are giving her something to bring down her fever. We just need to wait on test results to determine what we do next”

But she’s ok?” Aden asked

“Well there is obviously something causing the fever and we need to find out what that is but as far as I’m concerned at the moment as long as we can get her temperature down I’m not too worried ok”

“thanks Rach” Belle said “can we go in to see her?”

“Of course you can” Rachel answered “come on”.

She led the two of them into the room. Meg had been placed into a crib and had finally given in to sleep. There was an IV line running into her tiny hand and Aden was mindful of it when he reached out a hand to gently stroke her face

“Hey princess we’re here now” he whispered quietly to her causing Rachel and the nurses in the room to smile.

“Did you manage to contact Annie?” Rachel asked

“I called Miles” Aden answered “They’ll be back in a few hours”

“that’s good” Rachel replied “Right I’m going to go and get these samples sent off, see if we can find out what’s going on”

“Thanks Rachel” Belle said

“Not a problem, and don’t you go getting too stressed either Belle, make sure you take it easy ok”

“I will” Belle smiled

When Irene arrived a few hours later she found Rachel in the corridor and she filled her in on what had happened and walked her to Megs room. They both paused at the door before entering. Aden and Belle were oblivious to their presence. Aden was sitting on a chair that was pulled as close to Megs cot as possible. He had his chin resting on Belles shoulder as she was sitting in his lap arms resting on the side of the cot. Aden’s arms were wrapped around her waist his hands resting gently on her stomach.

“They’ve barely took their eyes off her” Rachel whispered to Irene

“I’m not surprised” Irene replied “They love that bones of that little girl”

“you can tell” Rachel replied “They are going to make great parents”

“They really are darl” Irene smiled “hey you two” she said as she walked further into the room “oh look at her the poor little mite”

“Hey Irene” Belle said looking up “I’m so sorry you had to cut your trip short!”

“It’s not your fault darl” Irene rubbed Belle’s arm “How is she?”

“Better than she was” Aden answered “she was screaming when we brought her in, she really freaked us out hey babe?”

Belle nodded

“Well you coped brilliantly guys” Irene reassured them “you brought her here and she’s getting all the help she needs.”

“I just don’t want Annie to think we didn’t look after her properly” Belle said biting her lip with worry

“There is no way Annie will think that” Irene insisted “she knows how much Meg means to you and this could of happened, would have happened, even if she was at home with us”

“That’s what I keep trying to tell her” Aden said “Rach do you know yet what’s wrong?” he looked over at Rachel who was adding some notes on Megs chart

“We’re still waiting on results and to be honest they could still take a few hours”

Just as Aden was about to reply Annie came rushing through the door Miles close behind

“Meg! - oh my god!”

“it’s ok Annie” Rachel reached Annie before any of the others could and placed her arms around her. She walked her over to Megs cot and Belle and Aden stood up so that Rachel could direct Annie into the chair. “Right” she said when Annie was sitting down “Meg had a really high fever, we’re giving her medication to bring that down and that appears to be working ok?”

Annie nodded so Rachel continued

“I’ve done some tests so we can find out what has caused her temperature to raise so high but we’re going to have to wait a while for the results. I know this is really scary sweetie but at the moment I’m really happy with her condition ok”

Annie nodded again.

“I’ll leave you guys to it Rachel said “but I’ll be right outside if you need me”

“Thanks” Irene said before she walked over to Annie placing a hand on her shoulder.

“Annie are you ok?”

“I guess” she whispered as she reached her hand out and gently took hold of one of Megs hands.

“She’s gonna be fine Annie” Aden said as he ran his hand gently over Megs hair

“I know, and thank you for looking after her so well and bringing her here”

“Hey you don’t have to thank us” he said “we are just so sorry that this happened”

“Yeah but it’s not your fault” she said looking up at him and then over at Belle. She recognised the look of guilt on Belle’s face and stood up from her chair

“Belle please don’t blame yourself for this” she said as she wrapped her in a hug “You couldn’t have looked after her better”

“Thanks Annie” Belle whispered. As much as Irene and Aden had tried to reassure her she had needed to hear from Annie herself that she didn’t blame her in any way for what had happened.

As soon as Belle let her go Annie returned to the chair and straight away picked up Megs hand. Belle walked over to Aden and rested her head on his shoulder turning her face into his neck trying to hide a yawn that she couldn’t keep from escaping.

“you must be tired babe?” he said placing his hand on her back and rubbing it in gentle circles.

“I’m fine” she lied

“I don’t think so missy, I saw that too!”

“I’m fine Irene!”

“Well fine or not you should go home and get some rest!”

“No way I want to stay, we want to stay don’t we Aden?”

Aden was torn. He really did want to stay to make sure that Meg was ok but he was also worried about Belle and their own baby. She made his decision for him when he saw her trying to fight back another yawn.

“I think we should go babe. Rach said it could be hours before they know anything and Irene will call us if anything changes…”

“Course I will darl, you get yourselves home”

“I don’t know” Belle was still unsure

“Well I do!” Irene insisted “Home now!”

Climbing into bed a short while later Aden wrapped his arms around Belle who was lying with her back to him “You ok babe?” he asked quietly

She nodded her head and turned around shuffling about until she was comfortably lying with her head on his chest, his arms wrapped tightly around her.

“I was just thinking about you and what a great daddy you are going to be”

“Do you really think so?” he asked unable to keep a smile from breaking out on his face.

“Yes Aden, I really think so! You were amazing tonight”

“I was really freaked out Belle!”

“Yeah but you didn’t show it. You were so calm”

“trust me I wasn’t inside!”

she smiled up at him and raised her head up to the same level as his so she could kiss him.

“Belle” he said as his lips left hers

“hmmm”

“You know you are going to be an amazing mommy don’t you?”

“I was a mess Aden”

“That just shows how much you love her. Besides I’m there to be strong ok, you don’t need to be.”

“I couldn’t cope without you being there Aden”

“Well you’ll never have to babe I swear, I’m always going to be there for you and our baby”

“You better be! I love you Aden”

“I love you too” he replied “both of you.”

Thanks once again for all the really nice comments, so glad that you are still enjoying it :)

Chapter 36

Aden and Belle returned to the hospital first thing the next morning. When they got there they were relieved to see Meg awake and looking much better than she had when they left the previous night.

“How is she?” Belle asked

“Much better, as you can see” Annie replied gesturing down to Meg who was waving her arms at them as though waving hello.

“Hey princess!” Aden said taking hold of the hand that didn’t have a tube connected to it “Look at you today! I guess you’re feelin better huh”

“What did the results say?” Belle questioned Annie

“I’m not really sure of all the medical stuff but basically she had an infection. Rach has started giving her antibiotics and reckons that she can go home a bit later today.”

“That’s great Annie” Belle sighed with relief

“yeah it is!” Aden agreed.

“Where’s Irene?”

“right here” Irene said as she entered the room carrying a cup of coffee “needed some caffeine! How are you two?”

“We’re fine thanks Irene, did you two get any sleep at all last night?” Belle looked from Irene to Annie noting how tired the both of them looked.

“Not really” Irene answered

“Look why don’t you go home for a few hours? We’ll stay here with Meg.”

“I don’t know? Annie?”

“No - I don’t want to leave her, she needs me here”

“she’ll be fine with Belle and Aden luvvie” Irene said

“I know that but I’d rather stay.” she turned her attention back to Meg and ran a hand over her head. “she needs at least one of her parents here” she said almost bitterly

“Has Jai not been in?” Belle asked

“No” Irene answered when it became apparent that Annie wasn’t going to. “he came back with them last night but stayed outside”

“you’re kidding?” Aden shouted

“Aden shhhhh” Belle scolded him

“Sorry but this is his daughter Belle, he should be here for her!”

“we know that babe, but let’s leave it for now yeah?” Belle said glancing at Annie

He nodded his head but Belle could sense how angry he was at Jai for not being there for Meg.

He took a deep breath before speaking again “do you guys want me to go to the diner to get you some proper coffee and some breakfast?”

“Belle you picked a great one to marry darl” Irene said with a laugh

“I really did” Belle said wrapping her arms around Aden’s waist and stretching up to place a kiss on the back of his neck

A few minutes later and Aden had been packed off to the diner with a list of things to bring back to the hospital.

“Hey Roman” he called as he walked over to the counter

“Hi mate, how’s Meg?”

“better, thank god! She’s got some sort of infection but they are giving her antibiotics and she’s going home later.”

“that’s great news” Roman replied

“yeah it is! Man, we were so freaked out Roman!”

“I bet, but you coped really well from what Rachel was saying when she was here earlier”

“what did she say?” Aden asked intrigued

“something along the lines of what great parents you and Belle are going to make”

“she really said that?” he asked his face lighting up with a smile

“yeah” Roman laughed at Aden’s obvious pleasure at the compliment “so what can I get you?”

Aden handed over the list that Belle had written “it’s all on there mate”

Roman looked at the list and grinned. “that’s a lot of pastries! And chocolate cake? Isn’t it a little early for cake?”

“that’s for Belle” Aden answered

“ah, a pregnancy thing.”

“That’s what she’d like you to believe” Aden laughed “but it’s really just a Belle thing”

“I’ll make sure I put an extra large slice in”

“thanks, I’m sure she’ll appreciate it.”

Roman laughed as he walked into the kitchen to prepare his order. Aden went to sit on a stool pulling over a paper to read.

He had been there for a few minutes when the sound of a familiar voice caused him to look up from what he was reading.

Jai had just walked in laughing and joking with Xavier who had been banned from the camping trip due to a series of pranks he had played at school.

Aden jumped down from his stool and marched over to Jai.

“Are you kidding me?” he fumed as he stood directly in front of Jai

“What?” Jai answered

“What? Right outside now, we need to talk” he grabbed hold of Jai’s t-shirt and all but dragged him outside pushing him down onto a chair.

“You are aware that your daughter is still in hospital right?”

“Yeah I know”

“Yet you are here mucking around with your mates!”

“Yeah but…..”

“No buts Jai” Aden cut in angrily “She’s your baby you should be there for her. And Annie, she could do with your support too.

Jai sighed and slumped down in his chair

“you don’t understand!” he mumbled

“Try me” Aden said sitting back in his chair

“I just…. I care about Meg I really do, but I’m not a dad! Dads know what to do! I haven’t got a clue.”

“you’ll learn, I’m pretty sure every new dad feels that way, I’m sure I will”

“You’re having a baby?”

Aden smiled slightly realising he’d let the secret slip “Yeah but it’s not common knowledge yet so…”

“I wont tell anyone” Jai answered “So are you scared?”

“About being a dad? Yeah I guess I am. I mean everyone knows about my history with my own dad and grandfather, they hardly set the best example. I’m just going to have to learn as I go”

“You are really great with Meg though”

“she’s easy to be great with Jai! Seriously you need to start spending some time with her, you are going to miss out on so much if you don’t”

“I would just do or say the wrong thing” Jai said looking down at the table

“Having a dad do or say the wrong thing is better than having one who doesn’t do or say anything at all. Believe me!”

“Aden” Roman walked outside carrying a bag and a tray of drinks “your order”

Aden stood up and reached into his pocket for his wallet

“Hey mate, put that away, it’s on the house!”

“Thanks Roman, I’ll catch up with you later yeah.”

Roman headed back into the diner and Aden turned to Jai “So am I giving you a lift to the hospital?”

Jai nodded his head and stood up “yeah, lets go.”

Aden patted him on the shoulder before picking up his order and walking to the car.

“Hey, look who I found” Aden said as he walked into Megs room followed by Jai.

“Jai!” Annie exclaimed “I didn’t think you were going to show up”

“Yeah well, here I am!”

Aden walked over to Megs crib “hey little lady, did you miss me?” he ran his fingers gently over her hair “I’ve brought your daddy to see you.” Looking up he gestured for Jai to come over.

“hey” Jai whispered when he reached the crib

“see she doesn’t bite, do you baby?” Aden said placing a reassuring hand on Jai’s shoulder

“We’ll leave you to it for a bit ok” he said looking up at Irene and Belle

“Yeah, we’ll just be outside if you need us darl” Irene told Annie as she followed Aden and Belle outside. “how on earth did you manage that?” she asked Aden as he led her and Belle to the waiting area.

“just had a little talk to him man to man” Aden replied as he sat down

“You didn’t hurt him did you?” Belle asked a slight worried look creeping onto her face.

“of course I didn’t! we just had a chat.”

“Well whatever it was…” Irene said “it worked cause he’s here. Now where’s this brekkie I was promised?”

Aden gestured towards the bag on the table

“Did you remember the cake?” Belle asked “Please tell me you remembered cake!”

“Yes babe I remembered, infact I managed to score you the biggest piece there was!”

“I knew there was a reason I married you!” she laughed pulling the slice of cake out of the bag.

“you are not seriously going to eat that? It’s not even 10 o clock Belle!”

“So! Do you want me to deprive our baby of something it wants?”

“if I honestly thought the baby wanted it then of course not” he said sitting down next to Belle and placing a hand gently against her stomach “but I’m pretty sure this cake craving is all you!” he stole a quick kiss as Belle playfully slapped him.

Irene watched the couple teasing each other and couldn’t help but smile

“You guys are real happy aren’t ya!”

“Yeah we are Irene” Belle answered

“Couldn’t be happier” Aden added. “I know we were always going on about wanting to wait before we had a baby…”

“I did wonder about that” Irene interrupted

“Well stuff happens Irene” Belle continued “we didn’t plan this but it has happened and it just feels so right”

“As long as your happy that’s all I care about and any fool could see that you are.”

“we are!” Belle insisted “all three of us!”

This chapter is pretty much fluff all the way :)

Chapter 37

“So, how’d you do it babe?” Belle asked Aden as they were lying on the couch, relaxing after a long day.

“Do what?” Aden answered

“Well do you remember at Megs christening I was saying that I just wanted a drama free couple of months and you said…..”

“that I’d do whatever I could to make that happen.” he interrupted

“Yeah” said Belle “and that was well over two months ago and no dramas!”

“what about finding out about this little one?” Aden asked. His hand was resting on Belle’s stomach which, now she was 19 weeks pregnant, had a definite bump.

“I suppose that was a bit dramatic!” Belle replied with a laugh

“Erm Meg going into hospital?”

“Ah yeah, I forgot about that but since then…!”

“What about your little outburst the other day because your jeans wouldn’t do up, that was pretty dramatic!”

“That was not dramatic!” Belle answered

“I beg to differ” Aden laughed “there were tears!”

“You’d cry too if you got as fat as me!”

“baby you are not fat! Yet!”

“you know if I could be bothered to move I’d hit you!”

“Aw! You know I’m kidding. You are growing my baby Belle! I couldn’t care less if you ended up the size of a house, you’ll always look beautiful to me.”

“God you’re a smooth talker”

“I try!” he laughed dropping a kiss on the top of her head “so do you want to put a DVD on or….?

“Or?”

“Is that your answer or a question?” he asked lowering his head and brushing his lips against hers

“Well it was a question but I think I get your drift now” she said smiling before returning her lips to his. The kiss was just beginning to build in heat when they were distracted by the phone ringing

Aden sighed “You think someone has got a hidden camera in here?”

Belle laughed as he stood up to answer the phone.

He chatted for a few minutes to whoever was on the line before handing the phone to Belle

“It’s your mom babe, I’ll grab a quick shower whilst you chat”

When Aden left the bathroom twenty minutes later Belle was just hanging up the phone

“Good chat?” he asked Belle

“Yeah it was. Actually babe….” Belle said walking over to him and wrapping her arms around his neck.

“why do I get the feeling I’m not gonna like what’s coming next?” he replied resting his hands on her waist

“Mom has invited us over for the weekend”

Aden groaned “and we have to go?”

“Well, it’s Pete’s birthday and it would be a great opportunity to get some shopping in the city! We could get some baby things” Belle was trying her best to sweeten the deal knowing that Aden didn’t really enjoy spending time with Amanda.

“and maternity jeans?” he added with a smile

“funny! But yes I obviously need some bigger clothes!”

“So when do we go?” he asked

“Friday after work”

“You owe me one mrs Jefferies!”

“Would you like your payment up front?” Belle asked seductively as she ran her hands down his bare back.

“definitely” he murmured before kissing her. His hands rose to tangle in her hair, hers slowly undid the towel he had wrapped around his waist.

The next day after work they were meeting at Irene’s where they had been invited for dinner.

Belle arrived first and settled down for a chat with Annie with Meg sat on her lap.

“So how’s things with Jai now?” she asked

“Heaps better” Annie answered with a smile “he comes over everyday and spends loads of time with Meg.”

“I’m really glad Annie” Belle returned her smile then began to giggle

“hey missy, I think baby likes you” she said to Meg

“why do you say that? Is it kicking?” Annie asked excitedly

“It’s certainly moving around Belle said placing her free hand on her stomach “no proper kicks yet though, Aden is desperate to feel it!”

“I bet he is” Irene said as she walked in to lay the table “I don’t think I’ve seen him so excited”

“Tell me about it” Belle said “I’ve had to practically drag him out of the baby shops whenever we’ve been in Yabbie creek!”

“Have you bought anything yet?” Annie asked

“A few little things but we are going to visit Amanda this weekend so we are going to do some shopping whilst we are in the city”

“good idea darl” Irene said “Although I can’t imagine Aden’s too thrilled about a weekend with Amanda”

“He’s not really but you know he’ll do anything for me”

“yeah” Irene laughed “you’ve got him wrapped right around that little finger of yours!”

The three of them were still laughing a few minutes later when Aden walked in

“hey ladies, what’s funny?” he asked

“You don’t wanna know darl” Irene laughed

“So is Geoff here tonight or am I completely outnumbered?” he walked over to the couch and sat down kissing Belle and Meg as he did so.

“He should be here, he’s over at Nicole’s but I’m expecting him back any minute, ah speak of the devil!”

Geoff stormed into the kitchen as Irene was speaking

“Everything alright Geoff?” Belle asked as Geoff looked less than happy

“I don’t wanna talk about it!” he snapped

“Ah trouble in paradise?” Aden asked

“Babe, he’s going out with Nicole, isn’t there always trouble in paradise?” Belle replied

“Ha ha!” Geoff said “look can we just forget about it please? When’s dinner ready?”

“Any sec now if you all wanna get your backsides to the table” Irene ordered and they all complied within seconds. Belle lay Meg on her play matt under an activity centre to keep her distracted whilst they ate.

As they ate they all caught up on each others news whilst trying to skirt the issue of Geoff’s relationship problems.

“Hey Geoff, I need a favour from you” Belle asked when they were finished

“Fire away” he said

“Me and Aden are going away for the weekend on Friday, if we give you a key will you keep an eye on the apartment again? You know maybe pop in on Saturday, water the plants.”

“yeah sure” Geoff replied

Belle stood up to get her bag so that she could find out the key for Geoff. She began to route around in it but stopped after a few seconds her hand moving to her bump

“Babe, what is it? Are you ok?” Aden asked noticing what she had done

“yeah, yeah I’m fine” belle answered before continuing with her hunt for the key

“You sure?” he asked

“Sure” she replied walking back to the table and handing Geoff a key.

It was late by the time Aden and Belle got home so they headed straight for bed.

Aden was concerned that Belle had been quiet since dinner and as he climbed into bed next to her his worry intensified. She was lying on her back both hands rested on her stomach.

“Babe, what’s going on?” he asked

“Erm, I think I have a surprise for you!”

“What?”

“come here” she took his hand and placed it on her stomach towards the bottom of her bump and held it there with her own

“Belle, what’s…..oh my god!!”

Belle’s face broke out into a grin “baby wants to say hi to it’s daddy”

“It’s kicking! I can feel it kicking” he moved his hand slightly across her stomach and Belle felt another movement

“Did you feel that?” she needn’t have asked because the look on Aden’s face told her he had.

“I can’t….. babe this is so amazing!” he managed to get out before falling into silence concentrating all his efforts onto waiting for another movement.

They sat like that for another few minutes but the baby seemed to have settled down.

Aden leant his head forward and tenderly placed a kiss on Belle’s stomach before trailing more kisses slowly up her body until he reached her lips.

“I love you so much Belle”

“I love you too” she replied before her lips found his again.

By that Friday Aden had felt the baby move some more and was now quite excited about the prospect of a weekend in the city shopping even if it meant spending time with Amanda! He arrived home expecting to see Belle ready and waiting for him as they were planning on leaving straight away

“Hey honey, what’s going on?” he asked when he found her in the kitchen preparing dinner

“change of plan! Ryan has the chicken pox so we can’t go and stay over at mom’s”

“Seriously?”

“Hey don’t look too upset about it will you?” she joked

“actually I was kinda looking forward to it. Well the shopping for the baby part anyway”

“Well, we still get to do that, I said we’d go into the city for the day and meet mom and Pete for lunch.”

“I suppose I can live with that” Aden grinned

“Well that’s good because it’s all arranged.” Belle informed him

“What are we gonna do tonight then?”

“Dinner then a DVD?”

“Sounds like a plan to me” he answered. “Who gets to choose the film though?”

“Well from my calculations I reckon it’s my turn to choose”

“How’d you work that out when you chose last week?”

“Because I’m carrying your child the least you could….”

“No way are you playing the baby card!” he laughed

“Please” she snaked her arms around his neck and began placing tiny kisses on his lips “baby doesn’t like loud noises and all your films have things blowing up!”

“baby doesn’t like loud noises?”

“uh uh” Belle shook her head and unwound her arms from around his neck. She took hold of his hands and placed them on her stomach leaving her own resting on top of them “you don’t want to scare our baby do you?”

Aden laughed “ok what would baby like to watch and if you say mamma mia then you little one are grounded for life” he said rubbing circles on her bump

“how about……Erm….. Moulin Rouge”

“It’s a musical too!”

“Yeah but baby….”

“Baby likes musicals?”

“Yes you do don’t you bub?”

They were both amazed and burst out laughing when the baby kicked against Aden’s hands.

“See I told you!” Belle grinned

Belle, much to Aden’s amusement, fell asleep half way through the film so he turned it off and watched an action film on the TV instead without her stirring. When it was finished he gently lifted her and carried her into the bedroom. She was already wearing a night shirt so he placed her gently on the bed. She opened her eyes slightly as he lay her down.

“shhh, go back to sleep” he whispered placing a kiss on her forehead. She turned over and snuggled down into the duvet as he got ready for bed himself.

Within minutes of climbing in beside her Aden was asleep too.

The next thing he knew Belle was shaking him awake

“Aden wake up” she whispered

“What, babe what is it?” he glanced at the clock and noted that it was only an hour since they had come to bed

“there is someone in the apartment!”

“You’re dreaming baby” he said sleepily rubbing a hand lazily on her back “Go back to sleep”

“Aden, I’m telling you” Belle was whispering but forceful “there is somebody in here - listen”

Aden lay quietly for a moment but bolted upright when he heard a noise coming from the lounge.

Sarah, Meg is 4/5 months old and as for Annie and Jai i'm sort of a bit undecided on that one :rolleyes:

So who's the intruder........

Chapter 38

Aden went to jump out of the bed but stopped when Belle pulled on his arm

“Aden, call the police”

“It’s ok babe. You stay here!” he shrugged his arm from her grip and quietly made his way to the door stopping to listen when he reached it.

Belle got up from the bed and began to follow him.

“Baby, stay there!” Aden insisted before slowly opening the bedroom door. He walked quietly into the lounge stopping when he spotted a man he had never seen before sitting on the couch.

He jumped up when he noticed Aden “Whoa! Who are you?” he asked

“Who am I?” Aden shouted striding across the room and grabbing the man by the front of his shirt “who the hell are you and what are you doing in my house!”

“Aden, what are you doing here?” Aden hadn’t noticed Nicole standing in the kitchen staring into the fridge “You’re supposed to be in the city!”

“what’s going on?” Belle asked walking into the lounge

“Belle, I told you to stay in there” Aden said

“Aden will you let him go?” Nicole asked as Aden was still holding on to the man who was now starting to struggle against him

“Who is he?” Aden directed his question to Nicole without loosening his hold.

“this is Matt” Nicole replied

“and why is he in our house?” Aden asked

“Why are you both in our house?” Belle shouted

“We hooked up at a club tonight and I couldn’t take him home sooo….”

It was apparent to both Belle and Aden that Nicole had had one or two drinks too many. She was unsteady on her feet and her speech was slurred.

“ok you are out of here mate” Aden said dragging Matt to the door

“Whoa what?” Matt was obviously in a similar state to Nicole but Aden was unconcerned about him and as soon as the door was open he pushed him outside.

“See ya matt” he said before slamming the door shut. “Nicole you better start explaining now!” he added as he marched across to the kitchen where Nicole was leaning heavily against the counter “Nicole!”

“huh, what?”

“Explain now” Aden told her

“I told you we hooked up at a club” Nicole replied

“There is so much that is wrong about this I don’t even know where to start!” Belle began “You are cheating on Geoff!”

“Geoff and I broke up!” Nicole snapped back

“How did you get our keys?” Belle continued

“I went to try and make it up with your stupid brother but he didn’t want a bar of it, I saw the keys and ….”

“and stole them! Then decided to invade our home to get it on with some random guy you found in a club!! Real classy Nicole”

“Belle, babe, don’t go getting stressed about this” Aden soothed “it’s not worth it! besides - she’s too hammered to even remember this tomorrow.”

“So what do we do with her, send her home?” she asked Aden

“cooee! I am still here you know” Nicole shouted up at them

“Better let her stay here and sleep it off” Aden answered ignoring Nicole. “you go back to bed I’ll sort her out”

“She is in for a world of pain tomorrow!” Belle warned “and I don’t just mean from a hangover!”

Aden laughed before taking hold of Nicole by her elbow and pulling her towards the couch

“Especially if she throws up on my furniture” Belle added causing Aden to laugh again.

“Where are we going?” Nicole asked

“To sleep” Aden replied pushing her down on the couch.

“Good” she slurred “’cause I am like totally….”

Her eyes closed before she was able to finish her sentence

“Ah Nic, what’re we gonna do with you eh?” Aden asked brushing her hair from her face.

Belle handed him a blanket which he used to cover Nicole tucking it gently around her shoulders.

“Night princess” He whispered before following Belle into the bedroom.

“Can you believe this?” Belle asked as they climbed back into bed “Who does she think she is!! God, what would she have gotten up to if we were away!”

“babe, don’t stress please” Aden said pulling her towards him “We’ll talk to her in the morning ok.”

“ok” Belle agreed “But I’m not letting her get away with this.”

“Neither am I” Aden insisted “Now, lets sleep!”

The next morning Belle and Aden were awake early as they wanted to ensure they had a full day in the city.

Belle walked through the lounge and into the kitchen where she began to bang around whilst preparing breakfast in the hopes of waking Nicole. Aden realising what she was doing laughed as he walked in

“That wouldn’t work on a normal day babe. Nicole sleeps like the dead!”

“So how do we wake her then?” Belle asked watching as Aden walked to the sink and filled a cup with water “No way!! You wouldn’t?” she laughed

“I would” he replied laughing as he walked over to the couch cup in hand. He stood level to her head and called out her name smiling up at Belle when Nicole didn’t respond

“She can’t say I didn’t warn her” he grinned as he held the cup over her head and slowly began to tilt it so water trickled onto Nicole’s face.

“ARGH!!!” Nicole squealed and sat up sharply to avoid the water “Aden!!”

“I warned you!” he said with a laugh as he walked into the kitchen “And don’t even think about lying back down” he added as he noticed Nicole heading back to her original position.

Nicole groaned “Why am I even here?”

“Last night a bit of a blur? Belle asked, her tone as far from unsympathetic as could be possible

“oh god, what did I do?” Nicole asked burying her face in her hands

“Remember Matt?”

They heard Nicole utter a groan from between her fingers

“Shall we take that as a yes?” Belle asked

“oh god!!”

“he aint gonna help you Nic! Now do you want food with your lecture?” Aden questioned placing some bread into the toaster.

Nicole shook her head “Can you die from a hangover? I think I’m dying!”

“you can’t die from a hangover” Aden answered “but when your dad, an ex member of the SAS, finds out you haven’t come home? That might involve a bit of dying!”

“oh, he is gonna kill me!” nicole moaned

“No he wont” Belle said walking over to the couch with a glass of orange juice and a smile on her face “Because I am going to beat him to it” she said sweetly as she sat down.

“I’m sorry Belle, I…..” Nicole began

“Save it!” Belle interrupted “Firstly, and this is a long list Nicole so pay attention! Firstly, Geoff is practically my brother so you cheat on him and me and you are going to have issues!”

“I didn’t cheat on him, we’ve broken up!”

“And Geoff knows this does he?”

“well he should do seeing as how it was his idea” Nicole snapped

“ok so you’ve broken up, again! But, jumping on the first guy you meet is going to help how?”

“I don’t know I …..”

“Nicole, you, and I can’t believe I’m saying this, are better than that!”

“But…”

“No buts! Right, next, stealing our keys from Geoff?”

“Yeah I am really sorry about that! I just saw them there and it was just impulse” she shrugged

“So what the hell you were going to get up to in our home whilst we weren’t here Nicole?!”

“I didn’t plan anything, that’s not why I took the keys. That was just to bug Geoff but then I got to the club and that guy and I got chatting and I remembered I had your keys and….”

“and if we hadn’t have been here you would have made yourself right at home!”

“I really am truly sorry!” Nicole looked at Belle then over to Aden who was now eating his breakfast at the table.

“Don’t look at me Nic” he said “I’m with Belle!”

“ You are always moaning about how people don’t seem to trust you Nicole” Belle began “but can you blame them when you pull stunts like this! You are not a kid anymore!”

“I know I know! And really I am sorry! Honestly!”

“You are always sorry!” Aden told her “You need to stop doing stupid stuff Nicole!”

“I know! God! Can we call it quits with the whole lecture now, seriously I do not feel good!” Nicole groaned

Belle looked over at her and noticed the colour drain from her face

“Nicole bathroom now!” she shouted

Nicole stood up and hand raised to her mouth ran to the bathroom and slammed the door shut.

Belle let out a small giggle as she walked over to the table to join Aden “Is it wrong that I’m amused that she’s throwing up?”

“No more than it’s wrong of me wanting to be there when Roman finds out about this!” he laughed

Hey, thanks for the comments :rolleyes:

wanted to put the lunch with Amanda in this chap but got a bit carried away so will save it for the next one :D

hope you enjoy

Chapter 39

It took over an hour before Nicole was in a fit enough state for Aden to drive her home.

He insisted on escorting her into the house whilst Belle waited in the car. She laughed out loud at the smile on Aden’s face when he walked out five minutes later.

“So was Roman cross?” she asked him as he climbed into the car

“Cross is an understatement! He’s waited up all night for her!” Aden answered as he started up the car and pulled away.

“Ouch! Did you tell him what had happened?”

“Of course” Aden laughed “I have a feeling we’re not gonna be seeing much of Nicole for a while! In fact I think this little one is going to be out and about before her!” he added reaching out and using the back of his hand to rub Belle’s stomach.

“Hands on the wheel mister!” Belle scolded

“hey, no backseat driving!”

“But I’m not in the backseat baby!” Belle replied sweetly

“You know what I mean!” he said glancing over at her

“Eyes on the road!”

“ARGH!!” Aden exclaimed as Belle laughed “Is this what it’s gonna be like all the way to the city ? Cause if it is I think we should go in separate cars!”

“Just be good and I wont need to nag!”

“right” Aden said laughing “are we allowed music or is that too distracting?”

“No music is fine” Belle grinned reaching forward to turn on the radio.

She began to sing along with the song happily for a few moments until Aden reached down and changed the station.

“Hey I like that song!” She shouted

“Westlife? You like Westlife?”

“No, just that song!” Belle defended herself

“That song sucks!!”

“It doesn’t!! she replied reaching over to change the station back “Aden! It’s finished now!”

“Wow! Sorry, that’s a real shame!” he sniggered

“God you’re a tool!” Belle mumbled

“What was that? Didn’t hear ya babe.”

“I said, you are a tool!” she shouted although it was somewhat marred by the grin she couldn’t keep from her lips

“No need to shout! Baby doesn’t like loud noises remember!” he risked another glance in her direction and gave her a quick wink when he saw her smiling.

She placed both her hands on her stomach and leaned her head forward “baby” she whispered “mommy is sorry for shouting but she wanted you to know that daddy is a tool!”

“Hey, don’t be mean!” Aden pouted

“it’s ok babe, baby doesn’t agree with me” she said rubbing circles against her bump “she’s just given me a kick!”

“She? I think you mean he! And thank you bub” he quickly reached out a hand to pat Belle’s stomach returning it back to the steering wheel before she could comment.

“Hey, boy or girl this little one is going to need a name! any ideas?” Belle asked

“A few!” He replied “you?”

“One or two”

Aden let out a small laugh “so are we going to share?”

“It might be a good idea” Belle laughed “You first”

“Boy or girl?”

“Erm……girl!”

“ok, how about Maddy?”

“too much like Mattie!”

“Katie?”

Belle frowned “I like Katie but not Kate and people would use Kate.”

“fair enough” Aden replied “What about phoebe?”

“Phoebe Jefferies. Yeah I like that” Belle smiled

“good so that’s one possibility then. What about your ideas?” he asked

“I like Mia.”

“Mia’s good” Aden flashed a smile in her direction

“possibility good?”

Aden nodded “Any more?”

“Carrie?”

“No way!” Aden responded straight away

“Why not?”

“Did you not see the movie?”

“Ah yeah! I never thought of that” Belle said sheepishly “What about boys?”

“I’m guessin Aden jr’s a no go” he laughed

“Absolutely as is AJ before you even think of suggesting it”

“Damn! So how about Max?”

“Are we having a baby or a dog?” Belle asked scathingly

“Right so no to Max then! Jed?”

“I like it but Jed Jefferies? Not sure if it sounds right”

“yeah I did think that. What about Beau?”

“Wow, yeah I love that!”

“Really?”

“yeah, really in fact I love it far better than anything I’ve come up with!”

“cool so it’s on the possible list then” he asked with a smile

“At the top!” she replied

They continued the conversation about names all the way into the city making each other laugh with ridiculous suggestions.

They arrived with an hour or so to spare before they were due to meet Amanda and Peter so they made a start on their shopping heading straight for a large baby store that also sold maternity wear.

“Me first or baby first?” Belle asked

“You first babe” Aden answered grabbing hold of her hand and pulling her in the right direction

They browsed through the selection of clothes but Belle was less than impressed with what the store had to offer - most of the outfits seemed aimed at women older than her. She had managed to find a pair of jeans that she quite liked and Aden had picked up few tops that he suggested she could wear with leggings or jeans and she agreed that she’d try them on.

She shyly walked out of the changing room a short while later giggling when Aden wolf whistled her.

She was wearing the jeans and a black and white wrap over top that skimmed over her slight bump

“You look hot babe!” Aden said as he walked over to her wrapping his arms around her waist and placing tiny kisses on her neck.

“Aden, not here!” she said laughing!

“Sorry” he laughed pulling away “Cant resist you! So you getting them?” he asked her gesturing to the clothes.

“yeah, I think so” she said heading back to the changing room “you sure they look ok?”

“More than ok!!” He smiled at her to reassure her that he meant what he was saying.

Whilst she was getting changed again Aden continued to look around at the clothes and noticed a t-shirt that neither of them had spotted before. He picked it up and read what it said on the front a smile instantly coming to his lips. He looked over to the changing room to make sure Belle wasn’t coming and quickly took the t-shirt to the checkout wanting to surprise her with it later that day. He asked the cashier if she would be able to slip it in the bags with their other things later and she agreed telling him what a great husband he was for treating his wife causing him to blush.

Once Belle had finished changing they continued to make their way around the store. They picked up a number of small items along the way including a few cream and white outfits that neither of them could resist. When the got to the nursery furniture section they both quickly agreed on which crib they would like and it had a matching dresser and changing table. They spoke to a shop assistant and arranged for these larger items to be delivered straight to their home. After a small debate they chose a design for the bedding and curtains and also added some pictures and a light shade to the ever growing pile of things they were taking home that day.

“pushchairs?” Aden asked as they were heading out of the furniture section

“babe, I don’t think I have the energy” Belle replied “can we leave that till the next time?”

“course we can, are you ok?” he took hold of her hand and pulled her to a stop looking at her with concern

“I’m fine, stop worrying! It‘s just really hot and I really need a drink!”

“Ok, let’s pay for these then head over to the restaurant yeah?”

Belle agreed and they headed over to the cash register. Aden was able to distract her whilst the cashier packed away their purchases so she didn’t notice the extra t-shirt being slipped in.

Belle sighed with relief as they sat down in the air conditioned restaurant. They had arrived before Amanda and Peter and she was glad that they would have the chance to relax for a short time before they arrived.

“You sure you’re ok babe?” Aden asked having heard her sigh

“yeah, just glad we got here first!”

“yeah, lets make the most of the silence huh, I’m sure your mom is gonna talk us to death during dinner!”

“She’s not that bad” Belle laughed

“Easy for you to say!” Aden replied “You don’t get 20 questions about what your intentions are every time you see her!”

“She’s just looking out for me. And it was only the first time you met that she grilled you, last time wasn’t that bad”

“I suppose not!” he agreed

“besides Pete will be here, you can talk to him!”

“Yeah, because me and a cop have lots in common!”

“You get on with Charlie and she‘s a cop!”

“I haven’t knocked up Charlie’s step daughter!”

Belle slapped him on the arm “knocked up!! Aden!”

“Sorry but you know what I mean”

“Babe, are you worried about what they think about the baby?” she asked surprised. She hadn’t realised that there was anything serious behind Aden’s reluctance to visit her mom.

“A little” he confessed.

“babe! They’ll be fine with it! They are fine with it! You heard mom when I told her on the phone!”

“it’s different over the phone Belle, easy to pretend! I just always get the impression that your mom thinks you could do better than me and now that we are married and…..”

“Aden stop!” Belle said moving her chair closer to his and placing her hand against his cheek. “I know with all my heart that there is no one out there that could even come close to you. Nobody could be better for me than you. If I ever hear mom even suggesting otherwise babe I wouldn’t think twice about walking away from her you know that don’t you?

Aden shrugged

“Well know it - you and this little one here are my family now Aden, you are all I need ok”

He nodded and smiled at her as she leaned in to place a delicate kiss on his lips.

They were interrupted by the sound of a familiar voice.

“Not interrupting anything are we darling?”

Just for the record i actually like westlife :D

Thanks for the lovely comments and enjoy!

Chapter 40

Belle pulled away from Aden as Amanda leant down to hug her

“Hi mom”

“Hi sweetheart, look at you!” Amanda exclaimed placing a hand on Belle’s stomach. “Aden I hope you are looking after my little girl” She added turning to Aden who had stood up to welcome her.

“Mom!” Belle shouted

“It’s ok babe!” Aden laughed “Amanda, Belle and our baby are my number one priority so you don’t need to worry.”

“I hope so” Amanda replied

“Amanda!” Peter had just arrived at the table “Leave the poor guy alone! Hey mate” he said offering his hand for Aden to shake “Shall we head to the bar, get some drinks?”

Aden was just about to reply when Amanda beat him to it “darling this is a proper restaurant, they have waiters to bring the drinks.”

“I just thought that we could give you girls a little while to catch up” peter replied

“It’s ok Pete” Belle said “nothing we can’t say in front of you two. Besides it’s your birthday, you should be waited on!” She was conscious of the fact that Aden was feeling nervous and didn’t want him to have to feel uncomfortable about being left alone with Peter.

“it’s not my birthday till tomorrow” Peter laughed “But thanks all the same” he added as he sat down.

As Aden returned to his chair Belle reached out her hand and took hold of his giving it a reassuring squeeze.

“So, How’s Ryan? she asked

“Scratchy!” Amanda replied

“You’ve got all this to look forward to.” Peter said smiling

“I know and I can’t wait” Belle answered

“Aden laughed “You can’t wait for our baby to get chickenpox?”

“Hey! That’s not what I meant” she said laughing too “I just can’t wait for baby to arrive!”

“Well I can!” Amanda told them

Belle felt her heart sink as she heard the words Amanda spoke. Aden’s grip on her hand tightened as she looked from him to her mother.

“What?” she managed to croak as her free hand came to rest protectively on her stomach

“darling relax, I was kidding! It’s just the idea of being a grandmother…..”

“Amanda is a little freaked about the whole gran thing” Peter explained “Thinks it makes her seem old”

Belle relaxed and managed to laugh a little.

“Well you are going to have to get used to it mom because it’s happening in like four months and you don’t have to be gran you could be nan or nana?”

“That doesn’t really help!” Amanda said with a laugh.

The conversation continued to flow as they placed their order and throughout the dinner the atmosphere relaxed. As they reached desert Aden realised he was actually enjoying himself.

“Belle sweetheart” Amanda began as the waiter walked away from the table with the last of their dirty dishes “Have you given any more thought to moving to the city?”

“What?” Aden asked. It was the first he had heard about the subject.

Belle glared at Amanda before turning to Aden

“When we were struggling to find a place to live mom suggested we try the city but I told her then and every time she’s mentioned it since that we don’t want to move out of the bay.”

“you didn’t say anything” Aden was quiet and directed his statement straight to Belle

“I know babe because it wasn’t an issue” she said reaching out to take hold of his hand again before looking back to Amanda “it isn’t an issue. We are not moving to the city. Not now and probably not ever.”

“But Belle it would be so much better for you!” Amanda insisted

“Better how?” Belle questioned

“Well the hospitals for one” Amanda started “They are much better equipped here in the city and you don’t want to leave anything to chance when baby comes along. The doctors are far more experienced too.”

“Well that’s a moot point because I haven’t even decided if I’m going in to hospital to have the baby, we might just stay at home!”

This was news to Aden but looking at Belle he decided now was not the time to get into a discussion about it

“And before you start it’s not a topic that is open for discussion right now!” Belle continued

“Ok” Amanda said “what about job opportunities they are much better in the city”

“We both have jobs” Belle answered

“But I’m sure Aden doesn’t want to work on that little boat forever” Although she was smiling there was no hiding the patronising tone in Amanda’s voice

Belle felt Aden tense beside her

“That little boat belongs to one of the biggest fishing companies in the area!” Belle managed to keep from shouting but the anger behind her words was clear. She had made Aden a promise that she hoped she wouldn’t have to follow through on but there was no doubt in her mind as to where her loyalties lay. “Aden is doing a job that he enjoys, it pays well and has hours that suit us. He…..”

“Belle” Peter interrupted “You don’t have to explain yourselves. Amanda I told you to leave this”

“I’m just looking out for my daughters best interests.” Amanda tried to defend her actions

“I have a husband to do that for me now” Belle shot back “We are happy where we are and I’d appreciate it if you could just accept that and not mention this again!”

“darling, I’m sorry but I think you need your family around you at a time like this”

“Aden is my family! Irene, Geoff and Annie are my family!”

“But they aren’t your real family Belle”

“Are you serious!! God mom……

Belle’s grip on Aden’s hand was getting tighter and tighter and he could feel the anger and stress radiating from her. He rubbed the back of her hand with his thumb. And cut her off before she got any further

“Babe, don’t get stressed ok. Amanda , we might not have a conventional family in the bay but they are family to us all the same. They love us and support everything we do and they don’t go around stressing Belle out when she’s five months pregnant!”

“I’m sorry sweetheart I don’t mean to stress you out” Amanda reached out a hand to Belle but she moved her chair closer to Aden’s leaving Amanda’s hand hovering in mid air “Belle”

“I think we should leave Aden” Belle said turning her head so she could look at him.

“Belle please” Amanda begged “don’t leave like this”

“Mom, I’m leaving now before one of us says something that can’t be taken back. I know you are sorry and I know you really do have my best interests at heart so lets just leave it ok!”

She looked over at Aden who stood up and reached into his pocket for his wallet

“Aden put your money away” Peter insisted “It’s on us, it’s the least we can do!” he said throwing a glare in Amanda’s direction

“Thanks mate and happy birthday for tomorrow!” Aden said reaching out a hand to shake Peters

“Cheers”

Belle stood up from her chair at the same time as Peter did and reached over to hug him

“Have a great birthday Pete! And say hi to Ryan for me!”

“I will Belle. You look after yourself and this little one”

Belle nodded before turning to Amanda “Mom”

“Darling! I am so sorry!”

“I know” Belle replied

“You’ll call when you get home?”

“I’ll call” Belle answered before reaching over to give Amanda a hug “Speak to you later”

“Bye Darling, Bye Aden”

“Yeah see ya” Aden answered as he picked up their shopping and guided Belle from the table.

As soon as they were of site of the restaurant Aden dropped the bag and pulled Belle into his arms

“Are you ok baby?”

“do you know what?” she asked looking up at him “I’m fine! I’m kind of used to it by now! I was more worried about you!”

“I’m a big boy sweetheart I can take it!” he dropped his head to place a delicate kiss on her lips.

“Can we just forget it happened?” Belle asked “I really don’t want it to ruin the rest of the day”

“And what’s happening the rest of the day?”

“More shopping of course! You didn’t think that was it did you?” she asked glancing down at the bags

“Erm yeah!” Aden replied with a chuckle

“one shop! I know I’m not Nicole Aden but one shop!!

“Ok, ok! We better get a move on then hadn’t we”

It was close to 9pm by the time they arrived home laden with shopping bags. Aden dumped them all on the floor and slouched down onto the couch Belle following close behind.

“Well I’d say that was a pretty successful trip” Belle said “Despite the blip in the middle”

“Successful for you maybe! I didn’t get a thing!”

“Aw poor baby!” Belle laughed as she rubbed a hand across his chest

“Hey don’t mock me! I actually have a gift for you but if you are going to be mean….”

“Really! I’m not being mean honest” She leaned over and placed a kiss on his lips which he responded to instantly. She pulled away before it got too heated “So about that present?”

Aden laughed but stood up and walked over to the bags rummaging through them until he found what he was looking for.

Belle recognised the bag it was wrapped in “When did you get this?” she asked as he handed it over to her

“Whilst you where changing” Aden answered

He was finding it difficult to keep the laughter out of his voice. He was certain he knew what Belle’s reaction to the present was going to be!

Belle quickly pulled the t-shirt out of the bag and unfolded it holding it up in front of her so that she could read the slogan that was emblazoned on the front

“It aint over till the fat lady screams!” she read her face showing no hint of a reaction

“you like it?” Aden asked a cheeky grin plastered to his face

Belle nodded as he came to sit next to her

“You know it’s a good job Nicole isn’t here tonight” she whispered almost seductively

“really?” Aden asked surprised - this was not the reaction he was expecting

“Really” Belle continued leaning closer to him and pressing a hand against his chest, forcing him backwards “we’re gonna need the couch” she inched closer still so that their lips were a hairs breadth apart

“Is that so”

“yep” she whispered as their lips touched “you’re gonna be sleeping on it!” She jumped up of the couch and made her way to the bedroom

“Belle!” Aden shouted after her through his laughter “Come on”

He heard the bedroom door slam and jumped up to follow her

“babe it was a joke!” he said as he reached the door. Turning the handle he was surprised to find it locked, he didn’t even know there was a lock on the door! “Babe!”

“You’ll be much more comfortable on the couch Aden” Belle shouted through the door. “What with me being so fat and all I probably take up most of the room on the bed!”

“Belle, open the door! You know I think you are gorgeous!”

There was no reply from in the bedroom nor was there any for the further ten minutes he tried coaxing her to open the door. He eventually gave up and resigned himself to a night on the couch.

Archived