Rollercoaster

Guest bradyell

So sorry it has taken so long to update, it appears my muse has been propping up a bar somewhere drinking cocktails without me <_< big thanks to Laura for stepping in to help in his place!! :lol:

so here it is - better late than never!!

Chapter 21

“Abi!” Belle cried

“Sweetheart, wait a sec” Aden called as Belle began to open the door before he had pulled the car to a stop.

As soon as he pulled on the hand break she was out of the door, running towards her sister

“Abi what is it, what’s happened?” Belle came to a stop just in front of Abi. She stepped back in shock when Abi lifted her head to look at her “oh my god!”

The left side of her face was covered in bruises, her eye reduced to a thin slit.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t know where else to go, I…I….” she collapsed into Belle’s arms her body convulsing with sobs

“It’s ok honey, shhhh” Belle soothed wrapping her arms around the shaking girl. She unlocked the front door and gently ushered Abi inside.

Aden watched the exchange from the car gripping the steering wheel to control his anger.

“Daddy”

For a moment Aden had forgotten Beau was in the car and was seriously contemplating driving to Callum’s house to give him a taste of his own medicine.

“Hey squirt”

“Daddy, I don’t feel so good”

“Alright buddy” he climbed out of the car, his anger dissipating as worry for his son took over. “You need to be sick?” he asked as he opened Beau’s door and unfastened his seatbelt

“not now. I just don’t feel good” Beau explained shaking his head slowly as Aden lifted him into his arms

“Alright, let’s get you inside hey” he held Beau tightly against his chest as he pressed kisses onto his head and carried him into the house.

The lounge was empty as he lay Beau onto the couch but they could hear voices coming from the kitchen

“Who’s mommy talking to?” Beau asked groggily

“Just aunt Abi” Aden replied as he pulled a blanket from the back of the couch and placed it over Beau

The corners of Beau’s mouth lifted up in a slight smile

“Aunt Abi came to see me, I like it when she comes”

“yeah I know you do squirt. She needs to talk to mommy for a bit first though. How about we have a look at some books ?”

“we can try daddy but my eyes might be too tired to stay open to look at the pictures”

“That’s ok mate, you can close your eyes and I’ll read.”

As Aden made himself comfy next to Beau Belle poked her head into the room to check on him. Aden reassured her that everything was ok so she headed back into the kitchen to see to Abi.

“Here you go”

Belle placed a cup of tea onto the table in front of Abi and sat down on the chair opposite her

“Thanks” Abi whispered picking up the cup and taking a tentative sip before placing it back down again

“So you ready to talk about what happened?” Belle asked gently

Abi sighed as she slowly nodded her head

“it was going really well. Mom and dad don’t like Callum being at the house so I’ve been spending most of my time at his”

“Yeah, Jess mentioned that she hardly sees you when I spoke with her” Belle interrupted

“He was really great Belle, so loving and romantic”

Belle rolled her eyes and let out a huff

“I know I know!” Abi replied “But he was! He bought me flowers, arranged candle lit dinners…”

“Guilt works wonders for some guys Abs”

“I can see that now but at the time….” she trailed off and Belle nodded her understanding as she reached over and squeezed Abi’s hand

“so anyway it was going really well till today, he….he….”

Abi broke down into tears once again

“Hey, shhhh” Belle pulled her chair around the table and wrapped her arm around Abi’s shoulder “You don’t have to talk about it if you aren’t ready”

“No I want to” Abi replied as she took a deep breath “He’s always had a bit of a …..a thing…. about me and Geoff. He thinks guys can’t just be friends with girls. Anyway, he doesn’t…didn’t …like me calling Geoff all the time but he’s my friend Belle, probably my best friend, I wasn’t gonna stop.”

“I should think not!” Belle found herself saying before she could stop herself. “Sorry! Go on”

“this morning I called Geoff, just for a chat to see how he was you know? I thought Callum had left for work but he came back, he’d forgotten something. I hung up on Geoff but he saw me do it. When he asked who it was….I don’t know why I did it but I lied and told him it was you. You know me Belle, I’m a terrible liar!” Abi managed to raise the corner of her lips in a small smile before continuing “he saw straight through it obviously! He asked for my phone but I didn’t want to give it to him so he…he hit me! Just a slap you know”

“just a slap!” Belle cried outraged

“Well yeah, compared to….“ Abi paused and raised a hand to her cheek before continuing “well anyway, I dropped the phone in shock and he picked it up and saw who I’d really been talking to……He just lost it Belle, didn’t even give me chance to explain”

“You don’t have…you….why should you explain anything to him!” Belle was finding it harder and harder to control her temper

“I just wanted to calm him down but he wouldn’t listen! He just flew at me!” she stood up from the chair and lifted her top.

Belle gasped at the extent of the injuries on her sisters body. There were bruises all down her side and as she turned around they became worse and more pronounced.

“Oh god! We need to get you to the hospital Abi”

“No Belle I can’t” Abi insisted as she sat down grabbing hold of Belle’s arm “I can’t” she sobbed

“alright sweetie, alright” Belle soothed not wanting Abi to work herself up again “how about if I call Rachel and see if she’ll come over, I really think you need checking over honey”

“I don’t know…I….”

“Maybe later yeah?”

“Yeah maybe, do you mind if I have a shower?”

“course not” Belle answered realising that Abi probably needed some time alone to think things through.

“I didn’t have time to pack any things though, I just grabbed my jacket and phone and ran out”

“you know where my room is” Belle replied flashing Abi an encouraging smile “Just help yourself, although I should warn you to steer clear of Aden’s underwear drawer, it isn’t the prettiest sight in the world!”

Abi managed a small chuckle “I’ll keep that in mind!” she stood up from the chair and made her way towards the door however she paused before she had made it half way “What about Beau? He’s gonna ask how this happened”

“We’ll think of something. He’ll probably be too out of it today to notice. You want me to check first?”

“Please” Abi replied quietly. The very last thing she needed was to upset her nephew

Belle poked her head into the lounge again. Beau was fast asleep as she predicted his head resting in Aden’s lap as he ran his hand back and forth over his head absentmindedly

“Coasts clear” she told Abi who walked timidly into the lounge

“Hey Abs, you alright honey?” Aden asked smiling at her warmly

“I’ve been better” she replied grateful to him for being kind to her. She’d been afraid that he would be angry with her, although she really should have known better. “I’m gonna…” she gestured towards the stairs

“ok” Aden replied “And hey, you can take anything you like from my underwear drawer, it really isn’t as bad as Belle makes out”

“thanks I think” Abi smiled at him before she headed upstairs.

Belle sat down on the couch lifting Beau’s feet into her lap

“You alright babe?” Aden asked

“yeah, I’m ok! Mad as hell and worried about Abi, about Beau, about you! But I’ll be ok”

“worried about me!? I can understand you being worried about Beau and Abs but why on earth are you worried about me sweetheart?”

He turned towards her slightly careful not to disturb Beau who was still sleeping soundly

She sighed deeply as she took hold of his hand

“I know how angry you must be about this Aden and I’m worried….”

“You’re worried that I’m gonna storm out at the first opportunity and rearrange Callum’s face?” Aden interrupted

“Well yeah” Belle agreed

“Belle listen, I love Abi I really do and yes, rearranging that scumbags face is pretty appealing right now but you and Beau and little bub here…” he paused as he dropped her hand and placed his against her stomach “…the 3 of you are my priority and I will never ever do anything that would risk me getting taken away from you all”

“Really?”

“I promise Belle. The last thing I want is you getting stressed out, please believe me, I wont lay a finger on him”

“ok, I believe you”

“good” he leant over and placed a gentle kiss on her lips. “so that’s one thing off your list! Beau next huh?”

“Yeah, how’s he doing?” she ran her hand gently over Beau’s chest

“Same as usual” Aden replied “He didn’t really wake up properly from the car. I wasn’t 2 pages into the book before he fell back to sleep”

“the poor little guy” she sighed again “I hate this so much Aden”

“I know you do, so do I but we…..”

The sound of a phone ringing from in the kitchen disturbed Aden

“That’s Abi’s” Belle said gently removing Beau’s legs from her lap and placing them back onto the couch as she stood up. She quickly made her way into the kitchen and pulled the phone from Abi’s jacket but it had stopped ringing before she could get it out fully. The display on the phone showed that Abi had had 16 missed calls in the last few hours. Pressing a few buttons Belle was able to see that all of them had been from Geoff. She knew he must be worrying so hit the button to return the call. Geoff answered before the first ring had even finished

“Abi! What’s going on? Are you ok? I’ve been worried sick! Did something happen earlier? Was it callum?”

Geoff fired the questions before Belle had the chance to let him know it was her and not Abi on the phone

“Geoff”

“Belle?” confusion clouded Geoff’s voice

“Yeah it’s me, I answered Abi’s phone, she’s in the shower”

“What’s going on? Is she ok?”

“Not really” Belle replied sadly “Geoff you’re not gonna like this…..”

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chapter 22

It had been 2 days since Abi had turned up at Belle and Aden’s house. They had called Ben and Jess and let them know that Abi would be staying with them for a while and Belle had finally convinced her to go to the hospital to get checked over. Rachel examined her and despite being shocked at the extent of the injuries, after tests, reassured them that there was no internal trauma or broken bones and that everything would heal with time.

They had told Beau that she had been in an accident and he was very keen to swap stories with her, seeming to really enjoy telling the tale of his and Aden’s near miss in the hospital car park.

“Belle, I’m heading out now, you need anything babe?” Aden walked into the kitchen where Belle was sitting at the table working on a story for the newspaper

“maybe some cake” she replied grinning at him

“are you going to the diner daddy?” Beau asked from his seat next to Belle

“Yep, I need to see nana Irene about something”

“Can I come with you? I want to see my granddad, I have something very portant to tell him!”

“and what would that be?” Belle asked looking curiously at her son

“it’s for granddad mommy not you!”

“Ok! That told me didn’t it” she laughed

“You sure you’re feeling up to going out squirt?” Aden checked. It had only been 2 days since his last chemo session and he wanted to make sure that Beau really was feeling better

“I feel lots better, and you can carry me if I get tired”

“Oh can I now?” Aden laughed

“Yep” Beau replied “because you are big and strong and you love me lots and lots”

“That is true!” Aden replied a smile lighting up his face “Come on then buddy, you got your shoes on?”

Beau stood up on his chair and waved a foot at Aden. He was wearing his favourite red basket ball boots , the laces dangling loosely at the sides

Aden laughed at his son’s cheeky nature as he crouched down in front of his chair to tie the laces.

Belle winked at Aden before letting out a very loud and obvious sigh

“Are you ok mommy?”

“it’s just that I’m gonna be really lonely without my boys” she managed to pout despite the smile that was tying to break free on her face

“you can come with us” Beau suggested

“I have to work” Belle replied

“aunt Abi is here” Beau said “And you have the baby so you wont be too lonely”

“Hmmmm not the same as having my boys though. The baby can’t talk and Abi is still sleeping”

Beau bit his lip thoughtfully for a few moments looking back and forth between Aden and Belle

“ok mommy, I’ll stay here if you really want me to”

The smile finally won and broke out, brightening up Belle’s face

“Awww baby, you are so good! Come here!” she held her arms open and Beau jumped into them “I was just kidding around, you go and see your granddad munchkin”

“For really mommy?”

“Yeah for really” she replied “Just don’t forget to bring me back some cake!”

“We wont forget will we daddy?”

“Nah mate, our lives wouldn’t be worth living if we did!” he grinned at Belle with a wink “Shall we go then?”

“Yep” Beau kissed Belle’s cheek before hopping off her lap and taking hold of Aden’s hand.

“See you later babe” Aden leant down and dropped a quick kiss onto Belle’s lips “and don’t worry yeah, I’m sure I’ll have some answers by the time I come back!”

“I hope so” Belle replied “right go on, off you go! Love you both” she called smiling to herself as they walked hand in hand out of the door shouting we love you’s back at her.

Aden and Beau arrived at the diner 20 minutes later Beau perched happily on Aden’s back his arms wrapped tightly around his neck.

“Well lookie who it is” Irene exclaimed as they walked in “My favourite customer!”

“Hello nana!” Beau called

“How are you sweetheart” Irene asked

“I’m ok thank you. I can get down now daddy.”

Aden walked over to the stools next to the counter and carefully lowered Beau onto one of them. Once he was seated Beau swivelled around so he was facing the counter and called for Roman.

“Granddad! Are you In there?”

“Hello!” Roman poked his head out of the kitchen

“Hi Granddad, I have something very portant to tell you!”

“Wow! Ok.” Roman looked to Aden who shrugged his shoulders

“No idea mate!” he grinned “Irene have you got a minute?”

“Sure darl, you wanna come through”

“Roman, can you keep your eye on squirt for me?” Aden asked

“I can indeed” Roman replied “seems like we have something important to discuss anyway”

He looked to Beau who nodded his head enthusiastically. He made his way around the counter, lifted him from his stool and carried him over to the sofa in the corner of the diner whilst Aden and Irene headed into the kitchen.

“So any word?” Aden asked Irene as he leant back against the counter in the kitchen, folding his arms across his chest.

“Nothing darl.”

Since visiting Abi the day she arrived in the bay Geoff had been missing. Aden had spent the previous afternoon looking for him but had had no luck.

“I don’t know where else to look” Aden said “I sat outside Callum’s for ages yesterday but if there was anybody in there they didn’t show their face”

“Do you really think that’s where he went though?” Irene asked

“I reckon so yeah. He’s crazy about Abi Irene! Anyone with half a brain can see that”

“Yeah I know. But it’s not like Geoff”

“You haven’t seen her Irene! If it wasn’t for Belle I’d have been out there with him teaching that mongrel a lesson”

“Well thank god one of yous had a bit of sense! I’m worried sick about him Aden!”

“Yeah I know but I’m sure he’s fine. We’d have heard by now if he wasn’t” Aden replied as much to convince himself as Irene

“I hope you’re right darl, I really do”

“Erm, kinda changing the subject here but are you busy this weekend?”

“I don’t think so luvvie why?”

“Well we’ve had a pretty rough couple of months and I’m really worried about Belle getting too stressed out. I wanted to do something for her you know?”

“you wanna get away just the two of you?” Irene asked with a smile

“Well, that would be really great but neither of us would want to leave Beau for that long. I was thinking that he could maybe stay over at your place Friday night and I could cook us a nice dinner and then we could just chill for a bit, have a lie in….”

“yeah I get the picture” Irene chuckled “Sounds perfect darl, you drop him over whenever you like”

“Thanks Irene” Aden replied sincerely

“my pleasure”

When Aden walked out of the kitchen he found Beau and Roman huddled together on the sofa

“So what have I missed?” he asked

“Nothing much” Roman answered feigning innocence “Right Beau?”

“Yeah, nothing much” Beau parroted flashing Aden a big grin

“What was so important then?” Aden asked as he sat down in the chair next to them.

Roman tried hard to keep the grin from his face as Beau answered

“It’s nothing portant for you daddy, just me and granddad”

“so you’re not gonna tell me?”

Beau shook his head so Aden turned his eyes to Roman

“Don’t look at me mate my lips are sealed”

Aden was just contemplating whether or not it was worth trying to twist their arms into telling him when 2 of the local police officers walked into the diner and headed straight for them

“Aden Jefferies”

“Yeah that’s me” Aden replied hesitantly “Can I help you?”

“We’d like to talk to you in regards to the serious assault of Mr Callum Millard”

“What! I didn’t touch him!” Aden cried standing up from his seat in one swift movement “He said it was me?”

“Mr Jefferies, if you’d just calm down and come with us….”

“I’m not going anywhere, I’m here with my son” he gestured to Beau who was watching the scene with wide eyes

“Sir, we have enough evidence to……”

“What? What evidence I didn’t touch him!”

“Aden mate……” Roman tried to intervene but was cut off by one of the officers

“We have a witness who places you at the scene and a description given to us from the victim that matches your appearance. So if you could come with us. Please.”

“Look, I can explain why I was there yesterday but just not now! If I can….”

“I’m sorry Mr Jefferies but you are leaving us no choice…..I’m going to have to place you under arrest”

“What?!”

Aden and Roman both exclaimed at the same time

“Daddy!” Beau looked at him his eyes wide open and brimming with tears

“It’s ok squirt” Aden stepped forward in order to pick Beau up but he was held back by one of the officers taking hold of his arm

“Whoah! Hang on a minute! Roman cried “where’s Charlie? She must know this is a pile of….”

“This would be much easier if you co-operated the police officer told Aden as he struggled in his grasp

“Get off my Daddy!” Beau screamed jumping of the couch and throwing himself at Aden who successfully managed to release his arm from the grip to pick him up and cradle him against his chest

“Shhhh buddy, it’s alright”

“I don’t want them to rest you daddy!” He turned his head as he cried “Don’t take my daddy away!”

“I’m afraid we have to young man. Now if you could just put him down please Mr Jefferies”

“Here mate” Roman stepped forward and attempted to prise Beau out of Aden’s arms but he was holding on for all he was worth, tears streaming down his face

“No!! I want my daddy! Don’t take him! Don’t go daddy!”

“Beau, it’s alright I promise! Go to granddad yeah” With his heart tearing in two Aden managed to undo Beau’s hold on his t-shirt and pushed him gently into Roman’s arms “Take him home to Belle yeah”

“Don’t worry mate, we’ll fix this. I’ll get Morag to meet you there”

“She’s already on her way” Irene called from the counter where she had been watching intently phone in hand “Don’t worry luvvie”

“Yeah!” Aden replied

“if you’ll follow me please” One of the officers said as the other led Aden out of the diner all of the fight gone from him as Beau’s cries continued

“I want my daddy! Don’t take him! Don’t take my daddy!”

thanks once again for all the fab comments folks :D:D

Beau and Roman's chat will be revealed but not for a few chapters at least!

Chapter 23

Belle closed her laptop when she heard the front door open. Leaning back on her chair she called through into the lounge

“You better not have forg….” She stopped mid sentence when she heard the sobs coming from her son. She quickly jumped from her chair and rushed into the lounge where Beau flung himself into her arms

“Baby! Hey shhhh, what is it?” Belle had never seen him crying to this extent and when she realised that it was Roman and not Aden that had brought him home a ball of utter dread settled in her stomach. In the few seconds it took her to lift Beau into her arms and stand up straight a million possibilities ran through her head as to why Beau was so upset and Aden wasn’t there, none of them good.

“Ro…” She struggled to get the words out so cleared her throat and tried again “Roman?”

“Belle, Aden’s fine ok!” He could see her worries playing across her face as clearly as if she’d vocalised them

“Where is he?” she asked her voice still shaky

“They took h…h….h….him” Beau sobbed “They t…t…took my d...d…d…daddy”

“Alright Beau sweetie, try to calm down” Belle soothed “Who took him?”

“He’s been arrested” Roman explained gently “Callum was attacked and….”

“And they think Aden did it!” Belle cried “He didn’t Roman, he wouldn’t! He promised me”

“I know Belle. Come and sit down” Roman placed a hand gently onto Belle’s back and ushered her over to the couch

Beau was still sobbing and wasn’t showing any sign of stopping no matter how many kisses Belle pressed to his head or how much she tried to sooth him.

“Come on baby please, it’s ok, daddy will be back really soon!” she whispered to him rubbing her hand in gentle circles on his back “Why do they think it was him?” She asked Roman.

“Callum gave a description that matched him and somebody saw him at the house yesterday”

“Yeah he was there looking for Geo…..” she trailed off as the reality of the situation sank in

“Geoff!” Roman cried “Blonde, 20 something, well built. Can’t blame them for making the mistake.

Charlie was sitting behind the desk in the police station when Aden was brought in

“Aden? What’s going on guys?” she asked the officers escorting him in

“We wanted to speak to Mr Jefferies in regards to the assault on Callum Millard, however he caused a bit of a fuss…”

“My son was with me! I wasn’t causing a fuss I would have come in to talk to you, there was no need to arrest me!” He shrugged angrily at the hand that was placed on his shoulder

“You arrested him!” Charlie looked crossly at the officers

“it looks like I’ve arrived just in time” Morag exclaimed as she swept into the station “Are we going to get this farce underway so my client can get home some time today”

The 2 police men both looked wearily at Morag and Charlie had to fight back a grin.

“Go on then!” she told them “The interview room is empty”

Morag led the way into the room and Aden followed with the 2 officers directly behind him.

“So you know why we are here Mr Jefferies”

“Yeah” Aden answered “Because you seem to think I gave that scumbag Millard a hiding”

“and did you?” the other officer asked

“I didn’t but I’m starting to wish I had!” Aden replied angrily

“Aden, not helping!” Morag exclaimed rolling her eyes in his direction

“Sorry Morag but it’s true”

“So you admit that you wanted to….hurt the victim?” Asked the police officer

“Victim! Don’t make me laugh!” Aden responded dryly “I don’t suppose he filled you in on the reason he thinks it was me that attacked him?”

“He said you held some kind of grudge against him, do you care to elaborate on that?”

“Yeah I’ll elaborate! The reason for the grudge is that Mr Millard used my sister in law as his very own punch bag!”

“even if what you claim is tr….”

“I don’t claim anything” Aden growled “It’s fact! He beat 10 kinds of….”

“Even so..” the officer interrupted “You know that we can’t condone vigilante justice”

“Are you deaf or just plain stupid?”

“Aden!” Morag placed a hand on his arm to try and calm his temper

“I didn’t do it!” Aden spoke in a loud and exaggeratedly slow voice

“Give me one good reason why I should believe you?”

“Errr because I’m telling the truth. Because I promised my wife, my pregnant wife, that I wouldn’t touch him. Because my 5 year old son is battling cancer and I would never do anything that would risk me getting taken away from him”

“I think it’s about time we looked at the facts don’t you” Morag asked noticing the emotion that had become evident in Aden‘s voice when he spoke about Belle and Beau “Now this description you have from the….victim. I’d like to hear it please”

One of the officers began to search through the papers in front of him and pulled out a sheet

“Let’s see…..Blonde” he looked at Aden and nodded his head “Check. Mid twenties, check. Well built, check”

“That’s it?” Morag scoffed “You just described half the male population of the country! I assume you have something slightly more concrete”

“We have a witness that places him at the scene”

“At the scene? In the house I presume?”

“Well the attack took place inside. Your client was spotted outside, in the car…..”

“In the car, not the house?”

“Well no…but”

“there are no buts officer! Aden just to put the minds of these people at rest can you explain to them why you were outside Mr Millard’s house yesterday”

“yeah, gladly. A mate of mine had been missing for a few days, he had a bit of a thing for Abi and I was worried he might have gone to see Callum, give him a taste of his own medicine you know?”

“Yes we know. And this friend….”

“Gibbsy?” Aden replied “we work together”

“So did you find him? Would you be able to describe him for us”

“I don’t think you really need to answer that Aden. If you wish to question Mr Gibson then that it up to you, it has nothing to do with my client. You have no solid evidence and no valid reason to hold him here so…….”

Aden looked on hopefully as the two officers looked at each other, communicating with glances.

“Well I suppose you are free to go Mr Jefferies” the officer said begrudgingly. The words had barely left his lips before Aden was up and heading out of the door, Morag hot on his heels.

He rushed past Charlie offering her a quick goodbye before rushing out of the station

“Aden! I know you are in a rush to get home but I’d like a moment please.” Morag called “Get in the car and I’ll drop you off”

“Thanks Morag” Aden replied sincerely as he climbed into the car “And thanks for coming and getting me out”

“It was my pleasure, however….”

“Yeah, I lied about it being Gibbsy I was looking for” Aden said sheepishly

“You don’t say!” Morag scowled at him as she started the car and pulled away “Geoff I presume?”

“Yeah, I just…..he doesn’t need to get into trouble for this Morag, he’s one of the good guys”

“I know that Aden but I’m not sure your friend Gibbsy will be quite so understanding”

“I’ll call him and fill him in. He’ll be cool. He was working on the trawler yesterday afternoon so he has an alibi”

“I really hope for your sake that you are right! Now, let’s get you home to that little boy of yours, I’m sure he’s desperate to see his daddy”

Belle, Roman and Abi were waiting at the house for Aden to return. Beau had cried himself to sleep however every now and then his tiny shoulders heaved and his breath hiccupped out as silent sobs continued to shudder through him. Belle had placed him towards the back of the couch and she perched in front of him, her hand rubbing in a soothing motion up and down his back.

“I’m sure Morag will have him out of there soon” Roman said to break the silence that had prevailed for the previous 10 minutes.

“ I hope so” Abi sniffed “This is all my…”

“Abi! Please don‘t say it again” Belle snapped “this is not your fault”

“Sorry I….” Abi trailed off when the door handle turned

Belle was on her feet and halfway across the room by the time Aden had opened the door enough to enter

“Aden!” she closed the gap between them in seconds. The tears which she had been fighting for the past hour or so finally escaping as he pulled her into his chest

“baby, I’m so sorry!” he whispered “It wasn’t me though Belle I swear to you”

“I know, I never thought for a second it was. It must have been Geoff!”

“Yeah I figured”

You didn’t….” Belle leant back slightly so she could look at him

“Don’t worry, they have no reason to suspect Geoff”

She let out a relieved sigh as she leant her head back against his shoulder

He looked over her head to Beau as his shoulders shook again

“is he ok? I can’t believe they upset him like that! I was so angry Belle!”

He pressed a kiss onto her forehead before releasing her from his embrace and making his way over to the couch to sit in the seat that she had vacated next to Beau.

“He was really upset but he’ll be fine once he sees you” Belle replied as she sat down next to him.

Aden leant down and kissed Beau gently on his cheek causing him to wrinkle his nose but not wake up.

“So Morag worked her magic then?” Roman asked

“Yeah but they didn’t really have anything so they had to let me go”

“Well I’m glad they did mate!”

“Me too” Aden smiled “Thanks for sorting this little guy out Roman”

“hey, don’t mention it! I just wish I could have calmed him down but he just wanted you”

Aden smiled shyly as he ran his hand over Beau’s head

“I’ll leave you guys to it eh” Roman said standing up “I’ll see myself out” he told them as Belle started to stand up “bye guys”

“Bye Roman, thanks for staying” Belle smiled at him and he returned it before heading out of the door.

Although he made an effort to close it quietly the sound of the door closing caused Beau to jump and when he heard Aden’s voice trying to sooth him his eyes shot open

“Daddy!”

“Hey squirt” Aden whispered

“They tooked you away daddy! I didn’t want you to go away”

“I know mate” Aden said lifting Beau onto his lap “I’m back now, it’s all ok.”

As Beau buried his face into his neck Aden dropped kisses onto his head.

Belle shuffled closer to them, wrapping one arm around Aden’s shoulder and picking up one of Beau’s hands in hers bringing it to her lips before lowering them to his lap.

“Aden, I’m so sorry about all of this”

“Abi! Why would you be sorry? This isn’t your fault!” Aden insisted

“I’ve told her that a million times already!” Belle said

“But…..”

“No buts Abs” Aden said firmly “It’s all over, you don’t need to worry about it any more ok!”

“Easier said than done, but I’ll try” Abi replied just as the door knocked “I’ll go”

She stood up and opened the door and let out a small sigh when she saw the person on the other side “Geoff!”

“Hey!”

“You better come in” she opened the door wider and he entered looking nervously to Aden

“Hi, Aden, Irene told me about the police…”

“Don’t sweat it Geoff, no harm done and you should be in the clear too. Well I didn’t give them any reason to come looking for you anyway”

“Thanks Aden. I appreciate it”

“no worries, to be honest, I appreciate you giving that scumbag what he deserved so we’re quits yeah”

Geoff let out a little chuckle “Yeah quits”

A silence settled over the room as Geoff sat down uncomfortably on the couch next to Abi.

“Erm, babe, shall we er, take Beau upstairs for a lie down?” Aden asked Belle sensing that Geoff needed to be alone with Abi so they could talk.

“yeah, good idea” Belle exclaimed picking up on the atmosphere too.

“But I’m not sleepy anymore” Beau exclaimed as Aden stood up with him in his arms

“We’ll watch a DVD in our room then eh” Aden suggested

“Why can’t we just watch it here?” Beau asked

“Just because baby” Belle explained quickly “Come on let’s go up” she pushed Aden towards the stairs glancing over her shoulder at the 2 people sat on the couch hoping that the next time she saw them they would both look much happier.

Hope this is fluffy enough Laura :D

Chapter 24

Aden arrived home from work to find Belle and Beau at the kitchen table. Belle was typing something on the laptop and Beau was surrounded by colouring pencils and sheets of paper.

“What you working on mister?” he asked dropping a kiss onto his sons head

“It’s a picture for Meg” Beau replied sitting back to reveal his art work

“Wow, that’s great squirt, I’m sure she’ll love it. Hey babe” he leant over and placed a quick kiss onto Belle’s lips

“Hey yourself” she smiled

“Abi gone home?” Aden asked

“Yeah” Belle replied “Dad and Jess were desperate to see her”

“I bet! So did she fill you in on what happened with her and Geoff?”

“She did, I’ll fill you in later”

“ok” he replied “speaking of later, are you ready to go squirt?”

“Uh huh” Beau answered with a nod “I just need my lightening Mcqueen PJ’s but I can’t find them! Do you know Where they are mommy?”

“Yeah, I just took them out of the drier” Belle answered confusion written all over her face “What’s going on?

“Squirts going to stay at the beach house for the night” Aden answered

“He is? Why?”

“Because..” Aden replied pulling out a chair and sitting down “…there has been a lot going on the past few months and I thought it was about time you had a night off and got a bit spoiled. Irene agreed and said Beau could stay over”

“Well I’m not gonna say no to being spoiled” she smiled “You don’t mind going baby?” she checked with Beau

“No! I’m gonna sleep in Meg’s room and we are gonna watch a grown up film with uncle Geoff”

“Grown up film?” Belle asked slightly concerned

“yeah, pirates of the bean, it’s not a cartoon so that makes it a grown up film” Beau explained

“Alright sweetie” she chuckled “but there are a few scary bits in that film so just let uncle Geoff know if you wanna turn it off.”

“I wont be scared mommy but Meg might be! She’s bigger than me but she gets scared sometimes, I told her that it doesn’t matter because even really big people like you and daddy get scared sometimes.”

“We do baby” she leant over and wrapped her arms around his shoulders pulling him closer so she could pepper his face with kisses “I suppose I better go find those PJ’s then” she said as she stood up

“yeah, I thought you could drop him off and I can make a start on Dinner” Aden explained.

She grinned as she walked past him running her fingers through his hair as she went

“sounds like a plan babe”

When she arrived home after dropping off Beau Belle let out a gasp as she pushed open the front door. The lounge was filled with flickering candles, her favourite chill out CD was playing quietly and a delicious smell was wafting in from the kitchen. Smiling to herself she made her way into the kitchen to find Aden standing at the stove stirring something in a large pan. There were more candles lighting the small porch area at the back of the kitchen, the table set with flowers, glasses and a bottle of something chilling in a silver bucket.

“Aden! This is amazing!”

“yeah? I’m glad you like it! Dinner is just pasta with a sauce, nothing too fancy!”

“It’s perfect babe, it’s all perfect”

“You wait till you see the desert then” he grinned as she wrapped her arms around his waist.

“If we make it that far” she whispered seductively into his ear.

He turned around in her arms and took her face in his hands as she brought him into a kiss so passionate that it left no doubt in his mind as to what would keep them from the desert.

“Mmm” he groaned as they pulled apart, both breathless “baby, if you kiss me like that again I doubt we’ll make it to the couch!”

She giggled as their lips joined together again however this time she pulled away after a few seconds

“babe, the pasta!”

“Forget it” he whispered as he trailed warm kisses along her jaw

“But I’m hungry” she laughed

“Yeah, me too” he replied “For this” he returned his lips to hers and she responded just as hungrily until a series of kicks from the baby caused her to pull away laughing.

“Looks like baby’s hungry too!”

“Well I can’t have my baby going hungry can I” Aden grinned moving his hands to Belle’s stomach, his smile increasing when he felt the baby move beneath his fingers “Daddy loves you baby but remind me to give you a little talk about timing!” He chuckled before lowering his head and placing a kiss into the centre of her bump as she threaded her fingers into his hair.

“let’s eat yeah” she said “We’ve got all night for……” she placed a hand under his chin bringing his face level with hers and kissing his lips tenderly causing him to groan again when she pulled away with a giggle .

Aden insisted that she sit down whilst he finished off the cooking. She opened the bottle of alcohol free champagne that he had cooling, smiling to herself once again at the effort he had gone to. She had just finished pouring them both a glass when he came in placing a plate in front of her and another in his place.

“dinner is served” he grinned kissing her before sitting down in the seat opposite.

“Wow, it looks great babe, and smells great too!”

“yeah but you know what they say” he replied picking up his fork “ the proof of the pudding…..”

She matched his grin as she picked up her own fork and speared a few pieces of pasta “here goes!” she popped them into her mouth and chewed silently raising her eyebrows at him

“good?” he asked

“Very good” she replied when she had finished the first mouthful “you’re getting good at this sweetheart”

“well I did learn from the master” he said as he began to tuck into his own food.

“So, come on spill the beans, what happened with Geoff and Abi?”

“You’re worse than Coleen” she laughed “well basically he laid it on the line and told her he had feelings for her!”

“Wow!” Aden exclaimed “What did she have to say about that?”

“She told him that she was flattered but……”

“ouch!” Aden interrupted

“I haven’t finished! She told him she was flattered but had been through too much recently to even think about getting into a relationship at the moment but that maybe in time….”

“She’d go for it?”

“Yeah” Belle grinned “He was pretty happy with that and told her that if there was even a slight chance for them he was willing to wait!”

“Far out!” Aden replied “You must be pretty happy?”

She laughed and nodded her head “Well I hate to say I told you so but…”

“You told me so! I get it!” he laughed

“Well I did!” she exclaimed “I’ve been saying for months, years even! They are perfect for each other, it’s gonna be great!”

“Don’t go planning the wedding just yet sweetheart”

“hey, don’t ruin my fun!” she scolded even though a smile still played on her lips.

They continued to chat and laugh until their plates were both clear.

“Desert?” he asked as he picked up her plate

“Errrrrrrrm?” she bit her lip as she thought about it

“Go on babe, I can wait a bit longer” he winked at her

“Yeah but can I?” she asked smiling at him

“Well I know I must be very hard to resist!” he grinned

“oh I think I’ll manage, just about! Bring it on!”

She heard him laughing to himself as he carried the plates into the kitchen. He returned a few moments later 2 bowls in hand

“so what are we having?” she asked stretching up to try and get a peek at the contents.

“kind of impatient aren’t we” he replied lifting the bowls higher so she wouldn’t be able to see

“How old are you?” she giggled

“Tell you what, shut your eyes!” he suggested

“Aden!” she cried

“Come on, it’ll be fun! Shut them! Please….for me!”

She shook her head with a laugh but did what he asked and closed her eyes.

He crouched next to her chair placing the dishes down on the table. Before he did anything else he took her face in his hands and kissed her tenderly.

“Mmmmm very nice” she whispered without opening her eyes “But I still want whatever’s in those bowls!”

He laughed as he picked up a chocolate covered strawberry from one of the bowls dipping it in the mound of cream at the side before carefully bringing it to her lips. His tongue poked through his own lips as she took the strawberry between her teeth.

He gave her a few moments to eat it before he kissed her hungrily.

“Very very nice” Belle whispered into his lips

“babe, I lied earlier” Aden said pulling back from her slightly

“When?” she asked looking slightly worried

“When I said I could wait” he grinned a lustful gleam in his eye

“Good job you wont have to then” she replied and in an instant their lips were joined again his hands tangled into her hair and hers trailing down his back and back up bringing his t-shirt with them. They had to part so she could pull the top over his head but they were soon kissing again.

Aden was the first to pull away breathlessly “Lets go and get more comfy shall we” he suggested standing up then pulling her to her feet, kissing her again when she was standing

“Good idea” she managed to reply in the small gap between kisses.

They kissed their way into the lounge, Aden undoing the buttons on her fitted shirt as they went.

“Belle…” he whispered huskily as he pushed the shirt from her shoulders “You are so beautiful”

“you aren’t so bad yourself” she replied as she lowered herself onto the couch pulling him with her by his belt that her fingers were hurriedly trying to undo.

“And I could really really get used to being spoiled like this”

Chapter 25

Belle awoke the following morning just as the sun was beginning to rise. As she did every morning she listened intently for signs of life from Beau’s room next door. It took a few moments for her to remember that she and Aden were home alone and that Beau had spent the night at Irene’s. She smiled to herself as she snuggled up closer to her husband remembering how much they had taken advantage of having the house to themselves the previous night. They had spent a few hours on the couch before heading upstairs and enjoying a long bath together then back in the bedroom it was another few hours before they finally drifted off to sleep wrapped tightly in each others arms.

Aden, somehow sensing that she was awake tightened his hold on her before whispering sleepily into her ear

“thought we were gonna have a lie in gorgeous”

“We’re lying aren’t we” she replied with a smile, turning her face so she could place a series of kisses onto his chest.

Her answer made him chuckle as he turned his head to look at the clock placed on the nightstand.

“It’s 6.30 babe!” he groaned closing his eyes again and shifting down further in the bed.

“I’m missing my baby, he’s usually waking up around now” she answered with a sigh.

“awww babe, I reckon he’ll be missing you too but I also think he and Meg are probably having the time of their lives right now waking up uncle Geoff!”

Belle giggled picturing the scene in Irene’s house

“You’re probably right” she replied

“I’m always right sweetheart, you know that! Anyways, how about we get a couple more hours in here and then go and pick him up and we could head out somewhere for the day.”

“Where’d you have in mind?” Belle asked already excited at the prospect of a day out.

“”I dunno, the zoo maybe?” Aden’s eyes were closed as he answered and he began to rub his hand in soothing circles on Belle’s back in an attempt to lull her back to sleep

“Oooo the zoo! Beau would love that! And we could take Meg and Annie and Jai and Geoff might wanna come and we could call Ro…..”

“Belle, baby, sleep first yeah!”

“Ok” she giggled reaching up to place a kiss on his lips before resting her head onto his chest and closing her eyes.

By 8.30 Belle was up, showered and dressed and waiting impatiently in the kitchen for Aden to get ready. She had called around and their quiet family day out had turned into more of a town outing! Geoff, Annie, Jai and Meg were joining them along with Roman, Leah and VJ and Tony, Rachel and Emme. They were all meeting at the diner at 9 to stock up on some goodies for the journey and then travelling in convoy for the hour or so drive to the zoo.

“Babe, will you get a move on!” she called to Aden

“Yeah ok, ok! No need to shout!” Aden said strolling into the kitchen

“Sorry” she replied sheepishly “I thought you were still upstairs. You ready to go?”

“yup” he replied “You got everything?”

“Uh huh. Got Beau’s meds, the camera, sunscreen, hats, spare clothes. Can you think of anything else?”

“Nope, think you’ve got it all covered super wife!” he grinned

“Just doing my job” she laughed back as he picked up the bag from the table.

“We picking Beau up at the diner or do we have to go to the beach house first?” Aden asked as they made their way out of the house

“At the diner” Belle answered simply as she climbed into the passenger seat of Aden’s car.

He followed suit and 10 minutes later they were pulling into the diner’s small car park.

“looks like we are the first ones here” Belle said glancing round at the other parked cars and not recognising any of them besides Irene’s.

“Well I don’t suppose everyone else was up at the crack of dawn” Aden replied as he took hold of her hand to help her out of the car

“It wasn’t the crack of dawn” she replied “And you went back to sleep”

“it was pretty close to it and yeah for like an hour! After last night’s performance, which I might add was…..”

“Er, you can stop right there!” she scowled “I don’t want the whole world to know about what we got up to last night thank you very much!”

“What did you get up to last night?” Irene asked with a grin as they entered the diner “although on second thoughts I don’t think I want to know!” she chuckled “give me 2 tics to get rid of these and I’ll come and have a natter with you” she said holding up a couple of plates she had collected from a table.

Aden led Belle to the couch in the corner and dropped down on to it pulling her to sit next to him

“Babe?” she whispered

“hmmm?”

“last night really was great wasn’t it?”

“yeah it was” he replied a grin spreading across his face

“The kind of night you’ll remember for a really long time?” she asked

“most definitely”

“That’s really good then, because you wont be getting another like it for a while!”

“What?” he spluttered “Why? What did I do?”

“That was so embarrassing! Irene was right there Aden and you go shooting your mouth of about…..”

“Babe! We’ve been married for over 5 years, we’ve made 2 babies, I don’t think it’s news to Irene that we have sex!”

“Yeah but I……”

“You guys want a coffee before you go?” Irene called over interrupting Belle

“Love one thanks Irene” Aden called back “And I think my gorgeous wife could do with one too. Decaff though”

“yeah I know, not like I could forget! Look at the size of you Belle! I’m sure you weren’t as big at this stage with Beau!”

Belle grinned as she placed her hands onto her bump “I know and there’s still a few months to go yet!”

“She looks great though doesn’t she” Aden said, placing his hand on top of Belle’s

“You are such a creep!” she laughed “You don’t get out of my bad books that easily!”

“I’ll keep working on it” he grinned leaning over and planting a kiss on her cheek.

“Mommy, daddy!” Beau ran through the door just as Belle was about to reply

“Hey baby boy” Belle opened her arms wide and he ran straight into them “Oh I missed you! Did you have fun?”

“Yup! I missed you and daddy though! Hello daddy” he turned his head in Aden’s direction a huge grin on his face which Aden mirrored

“Hello squirt, you missed us huh?”

“yeah, I got a bit scared of the scary skeletons in the film and I wanted you or mommy to give me a cuddle but then uncle Geoff let me sit on his lap and he forwarded until captain Jack Sparrow came back on and then I was ok!”

“I wasn’t scared of the skeletons uncle Aden” Meg informed him as she skipped over to where they were sitting.

“Hey Nutmeg. You are looking extremely gorgeous today princess” Aden said taking hold of her hand “Give us a twirl” Meg spun around her pink sundress and pigtails flying out as she went.

“Very gorgeous” Belle grinned “Hey guys” she called to Geoff, Jai and Annie who had followed the children in

“Who’s been traumatising my son with scary movies?” she asked looking to Geoff the smile on her face letting him know that she wasn’t serious

“It was cool wasn’t it Beau, we skipped all the scary bits didn’t we and just watched the Jack sparrow bits” Geoff replied

“Captain Jack Sparrow” Beau and Meg shouted at the same time emphasising the word captain and making all of the adults present laugh

“Here’s your coffee” Irene handed Belle and Aden a take away cup each “I can’t believe you’s are all heading out for the day and leaving me here!”

“Aww Irene! Can’t you close up and come with us?” Belle suggested even though she knew there was no chance of that happening.

“Or” Aden began in a louder than needed voice which instantly made Belle suspicious “just leave Colleen here, I’m sure she could……”

“Oh my word! I’ run off my feet as it is, not a minute to myself, if I was by myself….”

“Calm down Colleen” Irene interrupted her glaring Aden “I’m not going anywhere”

Belle poked an elbow into Aden’s ribs as he chuckled to himself. Irene left them to calm down Colleen just as Roman arrived

“Hey guys, Leah’s in the car and Tony and Rach have just pulled in. We ready to rock?”

“Let’s go” Aden said standing up and turning to take Beau’s hand

“Here you are” Irene handed a couple of paper bags to Roman, one to Geoff and one to Aden “Just some drinks and muffins to keep you going till you get there”

“thanks Irene!” they all called

Beau and Meg both gave Irene a goodbye hug and Belle, Geoff and Annie all gave her a kiss on the cheek as they headed out.

As soon as they left the door of the diner Beau grasped onto Aden’s hand holding tightly all the way to the car. When Beau was safely strapped into his seat Aden joined Geoff and Roman who were huddled around Tony’s window discussing the best route. Once they had it sorted and decided that Tony was going to lead the way they made their way to their own cars shouting see you laters as they went.

“Can we listen to my music mommy” Beau asked when they had been on the road for 10 minutes

“Oh I think we can manage that” Belle grinned opening the glove compartment to find Beau’s sing along Disney CD

“You know something mate” Aden said his eyes quickly flicking to Beau in the rear view mirror “Mommy and I picked your name out on a car journey like this. Maybe we should have a go at choosing a name for baby”

“Can I help?” Beau asked his eyes widening in surprise

“Of course you can help squirt.”

“Your daddy is full of good ideas isn’t he Beau?”

“He is” Beau answered with a grin “Are we going to choose names for a baby boy first or a baby girl?”

“Erm, boy” Belle replied

“Can I go first?” Beau asked

“Go ahead sweetie” Belle smiled turning slightly in her seat so she could look at him

“Jack” Beau said straight away “It doesn’t have to be captain Jack just Jack by itself”

“Wow I like Jack! Belle said with a grin “Aden?”

“Oh yeah! Jack’s great” he grinned his eyes flicking to Belle and his head shaking the tiniest bit to let her know that he wasn’t entirely sold on the name. “What about Will?” he suggested

“Like Will Turner” Beau cried excitedly

“I feel a pirates of the Caribbean theme here” Belle grinned “But I do really

like Will”

“on the list? Aden asked

“Yeah I think so” she nodded

“What’s your one mommy?” Beau asked

“Well I like…….Noah” Belle told them looking to Beau and then Aden for their opinions

Beau bit his lip for a moment clearly giving the suggestion some thought “I like it a little bit mommy but I think Will is more better and Jack is the bestest!”

“Ok” Belle laughed “How about if it’s a little girl?”

“Elizabeth” Beau shouted. Belle laughed knowing that that was going to be his answer

“I really like that babe” Aden said “And we could shorten it to Lizzie or Beth”

“Aden, my best friends baby is called Beth!” Belle rolled her eyes at his forgetfulness

“Oh yeah, but Lizzie’s still good”

“Yeah it’s not bad. I still like Phoebe and Mia”

“That’s 2 goes mommy!” Beau pointed out

“Sorry sweetie. Those were 2 of the names that we picked out when you were in my tummy and we didn’t know if you were a boy or a girl ”

“But I was a boy. And I wouldn’t like to be a girl!” Belle and Aden both laughed at the look of horror on Beau’s face when he contemplated the idea of being a girl.

“What do you think of the names though munchkin?”

“Phoebe is the same as the funny lady on the TV that aunt Abi watched. I think Mia is very nice but not as….”

“not as nice as Elizabeth?” Belle laughed

“you got it!” Beau answered cheekily “Mommy?”

“Yes baby?”

“I’m bored with doing names now! Can we listen to my music yet?”

Belle laughed as she reached back and squeezed his knee gently

“We can indeed gorgeous boy”

She turned back in her seat and slipped the CD into the music system. A few moments later the car was filled with the sound of toy story’s most popular song

“Hey” Aden flicked his eyes to her with a grin “What about Woody?”

Thank you all so so much for commenting but i must give particular thanks to Laura who made me laugh so much with her comment and then her reaction to her own comment that it actually hurt! :lol::lol: Cheers Laura! :D:D

Chapter 26

“Is this it? Are we at the zoo?” Beau cried excitedly when they drove slowly past the large sign bearing the name of the zoo.

“I’d say so” Aden laughed

“This is very exciting hey baby?” Belle turned in her seat and grinned at Beau who nodded back whilst he bounced up and down in his seat.

Aden parked the car next to the others.

“Hurry up daddy! I want to be out!” Beau shouted

“Ok squirt!” laughing Aden and Belle climbed out of the car and Aden quickly opened Beau’s door and reached over him to unfasten his seatbelt.

“Right Beau, before I let you out remember we are on a car park, no running off as soon as I put you down ok?”

“Ok daddy!” Beau replied seriously “I don’t want to get runned down because I want to see all the animals”

“Good boy. Come on then” he helped Beau climb out of the car and took hold of his hand leading him to Belle who was waiting for them by Roman’s car.

“Hey little soldier” Roman said when Beau reached them

“Hi granddad!” Beau replied “Daddy can I hold granddad’s hand instead, I promise promise promise I wont let go!”

“Sure” Aden replied letting go and smiling as Beau instantly took hold of Roman’s hand.

“You surplus to requirements too mate?” Tony asked Aden with a laugh nodding to his daughter who had taken hold of Leah’s hand.

“Looks like it!” Aden replied “Hey Roman, you 2 getting some practice in for when you have your own?”

“Not funny mate!” Roman replied nodding his head towards a very sullen looking VJ

“Oh yeah, right!” Aden looked sheepish “Sorry!”

“Hey, what we waiting for?” Geoff asked when he, Annie, Jai and Meg arrived at the car”

“Er, how about you!” Belle replied as everyone laughed “So we all here?”

A chorus of yes’s replied to her answer and together they made their way to the entrance.

Once they had all paid and collected maps and information leaflets they gathered on a bench to work out the best route around the zoo.

“So what do we all want to see the most?” Geoff asked aiming his question to the three little people squirming impatiently on the bench

“The monkey’s!” they all replied together

“Well we already have some of those here!” Rachel ruffled each of their heads in turn “Monkey’s that need sunscreen on before we go anywhere!”

“Awwwwwww but momm…”

“No but’s young lady, no cream no animals, it’s up to you”

Emme pouted but held her arms out to her mother who squirted them liberally with sunscreen.

Belle and Annie did the same with Beau and Meg as they wriggled impatiently.

“Veej, do you have sunscreen on?” Leah asked the teenager who was standing on the edge of the group looking grumpily in the other direction.

He nodded his head in response but that was the extent of his reply

“Come on little bro” Aden said walking over to him and throwing an arm casually around his shoulder, turning him to face the rest of them “I know the zoo isn’t really top of the cool list of things to do but I’m sure we can have a bit of fun right?”

“Maybe” VJ mumbled. The corners of his lips twitching to fight a smile when Aden called him little bro hadn’t gone unmissed by any the adults watching and as usual Beau had picked up on what his father had said

“ Daddy is VJ going to be your brother when Granddad and Leah get married?”

“Kind of” Aden replied with a grin as he gave VJ a playful nudge

“That means he’ll be your uncle Beau” Emme explained helpfully

“Really?” Beau asked his face lighting up at the idea

“I guess so baby” Belle replied

“Can I call him Uncle VJ? Like I call Geoff uncle Geoff”

“Why don’t you ask him” Belle suggested with a smile towards VJ who was now smiling openly

Beau hopped off the bench and walked over to VJ and stood in front of him, hands placed firmly on his hips

“VJ, mommy said I have to ask you if I can call you uncle VJ! So can I?”

“Yeah that’d be ok” VJ replied shyly

“Thank you uncle VJ” Beau smiled sweetly before reaching up and pulling one of the arms that VJ had folded tightly across his chest. “Now you are my uncle VJ you can hold my hand. I have to hold hands because I runned off from mommy and daddy in the hospital cars park and nearly got hitted by a car but my daddy saved me…”

Belle chuckled as Beau chatted happily away to his newfound uncle “Looks like Veej’s entertainment for the day is sorted. Beau will chat his ear off now!” she said to Leah

“Oh I don’t think he minds too much, look at his smile!” Leah replied amazed at the sudden transformation in her teenage son as he listened intently to what the small boy was telling him. “in fact, I reckon we might have to steal him Belle if this is the response he gets!”

“No way!” Belle replied “No one’s stealing my boy”

“Hey princess can you see?”

The group were standing around the elephant enclosure admiring the new baby elephant that was playing with its mother in the large pool in the middle of their outside area

“Not very well” Meg replied so Aden scooped her into his arms so she could get a better view

“That better?” he checked

“Uh huh” she nodded her head as she wrapped her arms around his shoulders “Is it a boy baby elephant or a girl baby elephant?”

“I dunno sweets, a boy I think” he looked around to see if he could find some kind of sign giving information about the animals in the enclosure but there was a big group of people surrounding it. “We’ll go and have a look in a bit yeah.”

“Ok. Uncle Aden?”

“Yep?”

“Is Auntie Belle’s baby a boy or a girl?”

“We don’t know yet Meg, we have to wait for the baby to arrive”

“I hope it’s a boy baby” she replied with a small sigh

“Why’s that princess?”

“Because…..” she seemed reluctant to reply but continued when Aden nodded his head encouragingly “….if the baby is a girl baby then she will be your princess and I’ll be just Meg” she buried her head into his neck shyly as soon as she had finished speaking.

“Nutmeg! Hey, let’s sit down a sec” he carried her over to a nearby bench away from the rest of the group and sat down sitting her on his lap. “baby girl listen to me, you will always be my princess! It doesn’t matter if auntie Belle and I have a hundred baby girls you will always be so special to both of us! You know I was the first person to ever give you a cuddle don’t you?”

“Really?” she asked wide eyed

“Yep, right after you were born Belle looked after your mommy and I took you into the lounge and sat on the couch with you. You were this teeny little thing looking up at me with those beautiful big eyes of yours and you know what? I made you a promise…”

“What did you promise” Meg whispered her voice full of wonder

“I promised that I would always look after you and keep you safe”

“Really?”

“Really really” he laughed “Nutmeg I love you so much, nothing is gonna change that I promise”

“I love you too uncle Aden”

She wrapped her arms around his neck and he brushed a kiss against her forehead

“right, lets go find out about this baby elephant shall we” he lifted her off his lap and placed her onto the floor where she happily skipped towards Annie who was waving her over

“Everything ok?” she asked as Meg took hold of her hand

“Yep mommy, everything is good isn’t it uncle Aden?”

“Very good” he replied with a smile “So this baby elephant… I reckon our bub is gonna give it a run for it’s money size wise” he joked walking over to Belle and resting his hand on her bump

“Aden!” she cried incensed “I’m not that big!”

“Do you have a death wish mate” Tony laughed as they began the slow stroll towards the next enclosure

“Nah, I just know Belle loves me too much to hurt me” he replied cockily

“Oh you are soooo wrong” Belle laughed “you are just lucky there are impressionable children around!”

“Oh forget the kids Belle” Leah exclaimed “They’ve seen worse! Just hit him!”

“Hey!” Aden replied “Leah, I never had you down as the wicked step mother type!”

“Step mother?” Leah asked raising her eyebrows at him

“Well yeah, Roman’s as good as my dad and we’ve already clarified that Veej is my little bro so that would make you my step mommy and…..” he laughed as he wrapped an arm around her shoulders squeezing her against his side “….and Beau’s grandma!”

“Aden Jefferies!” Leah tried to sound cross but the laughter bubbling up inside of her was threatening to spill out “Grandma! Are you hearing this Roman?”

“Yeah I’m listening baby, want me to sort him out!”

“You’d have to catch me first old man” Aden replied with a cheeky wink over his shoulder at Roman.

“Oh I’d catch you if I was asleep Jefferies you don’t need to worry about that!”

“Who’s worried? And by asleep do you mean in your dreams?”

Roman laughed at Aden’s cockiness “I don’t need to dream!”

“You care to put your money where your mouth is?” Aden asked

“sounds like a challenge mate” Tony chuckled as Aden and Roman came to a standstill causing the rest of the group who were behind them to stop too.

“Why are we standing still?” Beau shouted, he had still been clutching tightly to VJ’s hand but let go and pushed his way to stand next to Aden and Roman “come on daddy and granddad, we need to get to the monkey house!”

“”Just a tic squirt, we just need to sort something out”

“Well be fast daddy!”

“Oh I’ll be fast mate, it’s granddad that needs the encouragement!”

“So what? Are you two going to race now?” Belle asked looking back and forth between Aden and Roman a look of amusement on her face

“Are we?” Aden asked

“Ok!” Roman laughed “You are on! So what’s the bet?”

“Loser buys lunch?” Aden suggested “And then the winner, and by winner I do mean me, has bragging rights forever!”

“Sounds good to me, anyone else want a piece of the action?” Roman asked glancing around to Tony, Geoff and Jai.

Tony and Jai shook their heads both laughing.

“I’m not that stupid mate!” Tony replied

“count me in” Geoff said shooting Aden a competitive look

“Can I race too?” Beau asked

“Aww sweetie” Belle picked Beau up and dropped a quick kiss on his head “I think we should just let the big boys race this time. Who do you think we should cheer on?”

Beau contemplated his answer seriously as the 3 men, with the help of Tony decided where the race was going to take place. Luckily for them there was a large patch of grass in between the enclosures that for the moment was relatively free of people.

“It’s very hard to choose mommy because I love granddad and Geoff but I love my daddy the most so I am going to cheer daddy!”

“me too baby” she whispered in his ear

“I can’t believe they are doing this” Annie laughed as she came to lead Belle and Beau over to the spot they had designated for the finish line

“Munchkin, go with Annie for a sec” she put Beau down and made her way over to Aden who was making a big show of warming up “you are such a dork!” she laughed as Aden wrapped his arms around her waist

“Yeah but you still came to give me a good luck kiss!”

“You wish” she laughed again “but I did come to tell you that if you win I may just forgive you for calling me an elephant!”

“A gorgeous elephant though” he chuckled as his lips made momentary contact with hers before she pushed him away. His arms around her kept him from going too far as he continued to laugh “sweetheart I’m joking, you know that! You look sensational!”

“Now you’re just creeping! You’ve obviously forgotten our conversation this morning”

“What conversation?” he asked genuinely

“the one about how you’re not going to be getting any……”

“Hey Aden! Are we doing this or not?” Geoff interrupted

“Yeah, just a minute” he called back “you didn’t mean that though right babe, you…”

“It’s now or never!” Roman called “chicken?”

“You better go babe” Belle laughed

“But Belle……”

“You’re not chicken are you?” she asked forcing a serious look onto her face.

He growled before pulling her closer to him and stealing a quick kiss as she laughed

“Go cheer me on!” he ordered playfully

“Good luck baby!” she walked backwards for a few steps, blowing him a kiss before turning around and quickly making her way to where the others were waiting.

Tony remained behind to start the race and after some friendly pushing and shoving eventually managed to get the 3 racers lined up.

Beau, Meg and Emme all began cheering before the race had even begun. Emme was cheering for Roman and after some encouragement from Annie and Belle, Meg had changed her mind from Aden to Geoff.

Jai and VJ stood either side of the ‘finish line’ both laughing at the antics of Aden, Roman and Geoff.

Belle, Rachel, Annie and Leah stood to one side behind the children and as soon as Tony shouted go they began to cheer too although none of them committed to a particular name, all just choosing to shout general encouragement.

All 3 men started enthusiastically, the race seeming to remain very tight right until the very end when the winner made a break and crossed the line a fraction of a second before the runners up.

It was so close that none of them knew which one of them had been first so they looked to Jai as they all rested their hands on their knees and panted breathlessly

“Well?”

Jai grinned before he answered “The winner is…….”

And the winner is....... :lol:

Chapter 27

Strolling out of the milk bar where they had just enjoyed milkshakes whilst watching the elephants again Belle spotted Aden leaning against a fence post looking less than happy.

“Hey” she whispered in his ear as she came up behind him wrapping her arms around his waist “Not still sulking are you?”

“I wasn’t sulking in the first place sweetheart” he answered “I just can’t believe I didn’t win!”

“Well at least you came second” Belle replied trying to console him

“Second place is just first loser babe but thanks for trying!”

“Ok!” she laughed “Well at least you beat Roman, that was the whole point anyway wasn’t it?”

“Yeah but I lost to Geoff! Geoff!” He repeated “ You have no idea!”

“Awww babe” she continued to laugh as she peppered the back of his neck with kisses “If it helps, Beau really really wanted you to win!”

“You’re not too good at this whole consoling thing Belle” he chuckled as he turned around in her arms “disappointing my son is hardly gonna be the highlight of my day! Although I guess I should be grateful that he was cheering for me, would have been a different story if uncle VJ was racing!”

“Aden Jefferies!” Belle exclaimed “Are you jealous?!”

“Not jealous exactly” he replied clearly embarrassed “I just….” he glanced over to where Beau was standing with VJ “….I just miss him! Miss holding his little hand you know?”

“yeah I know baby” she stood on her tiptoes and pressed a warm kiss against his lips “he adores you though Aden, you know that right?”

“Yeah I know” he replied shyly “I’m just feeling sorry for myself!”

“Well, I’ll just have to think of a way to make you feel better wont I?” she whispered trailing her hand up his back. She stopped when she reached his neck, her fingers curling into his hair as their lips met

“Mmm! I thought I wasn’t gonna be….”

“Aden, quit whilst you are ahead babe” Belle laughed

“Shut up?” he asked

“yeah” she laughed before kissing him again

They pulled apart when they each felt a tug on their clothes. Looking down they saw Beau standing next to them.

“Hey squirt, you ok?” Aden crouched down and wrapped his arms around Beau’s waist

“My legs are tired daddy”

Aden grinned as he pulled Beau closer to him and smacked a quick kiss against his lips

“You want daddy to carry you?”

Beau nodded his head “yes please”

“On my shoulders?” Aden asked

Beau nodded as Aden gently turned him around then carefully lifted him onto his shoulders. Belle placed a hand on Beau’s back to keep him steady as Aden stood up

“That better baby?” she asked

“Uh huh” Beau answered resting his head atop of Aden’s and wrapping his arms tightly around his neck

“Whoa squirt! Not so tight! Here..” he gripped hold of Beau’s feet “…I’ve got you nice and tight so you can let go if you like.”

Beau followed Aden’s instructions and let go lifting his head up slightly and resting his hands onto Aden’s head before laying his head back down onto them.

“See” Belle whispered “He might want the others from time to time but he always needs his daddy”

Aden grinned as she tiptoed to give him another kiss

“You guys ready to move on?” Rachel asked as she lead the rest of the group out of the bar

“yup, think we might have to call it a day soon though” Belle said gesturing up to Beau

“Worn out huh?” Rachel replied as Belle nodded “it’s to be expected, he’s done really well, he’s kept up with the girls all day!”

“Yeah, he’s managing pretty well lately” Belle replied rubbing Beau’s back affectionately “He just gets tired don’t you munchkin?”

Beau nodded his head slightly then closed his eyes

“I don’t think there’s too much left to see” Geoff said coming to stand next to them with a map “Meg wanted to see the Giraffes again, so we could go this way and see them on the way out” he trailed his finger across the map showing them the route he thought would be best.

“looks good” Rachel replied “As long as there is a gift shop on the way, we’ll never get Emme out of here without a souvenir pencil!”

Geoff consulted his map and then nodded “There’s a big shop right by the exit, I’m sure she’ll get something in there”

By the time they reached the gift shop Beau was fast asleep. Roman helped to lift him from Aden’s shoulders and he was now cradled in his arms on a bench outside the shop.

“Big day for him eh?” Roman said sitting down on the bench next to Aden

“Yeah” he replied “he gets tired pretty easily”

“not long to go now though right, only another month or so?”

“3 more chemo sessions” Aden replied “Hopefully anyway! They’ll do some tests then to see if he’s in remission or not”

“Well you know we all have our fingers crossed!” Roman told him

“Yeah I know. So anyway, how are the wedding plans coming along?”

“pretty good” Roman answered with a grin “Think everything is sorted. How’s the speech writing going?”

“good” Aden replied with a chuckle “Got a bit more…..ammunition today!”

“Be kind!” Roman laughed “you free next weekend for a suit fitting?”

“yeah sure, Belle said something about kilts….”

Roman spluttered on the sip of drink he had just taken “You better be joking mate!”

“What? You don’t know?” Aden asked grinning at the opportunity to wind Roman up. “ah, yeah! Belle did say something about Leah wanting it to be a surprise! Sorry mate!”

“Aden, you couldn’t wind up a clock!” Roman laughed, easily reading the lie from the smile Aden was desperately fighting to keep from his lips.

“Yeah ok, I’m joking! But you really don’t know what we’re gonna be wearing?”

“Nah, I’ve left all that stuff to Leah, I trust her, she has great taste”

“I used to think that, then she blew it by choosing you!” Aden grinned

Roman laughed as he shook his head “ try saying that when you haven’t got your sleeping son on your lap to protect you!”

“Are you two bickering again!” Leah exclaimed as she walked towards them, her hands filled with carrier bags

“Here” Roman jumped up quickly and took the bags from her hands “and yeah, we have to do something to keep ourselves entertained!”

Leah laughed as she sat down in the seat Roman had vacated “Belle’s just at the cash register Aden, Veej is helping her carry the stuff”

“should I be worried?” he asked with a grin

“Well she wasn’t sure what Beau would want so she has bought quite a lot!”

“More than you?” Aden eyed the bags Leah had handed over to Roman and tried to imagine how Belle could have bought more

“Lots more! Those aren’t all mine!” she replied “Annie’s are there too, she’s taken Meg to the toilet and Jai and Geoff have gone to get some munchies for on the way home”

“Looks like we wont be eating this month then!” Aden laughed as Belle walked out of the shop followed by VJ who was loaded down with bags. “Babe, how can you have that many bags from a zoo gift shop?” he asked incredulously

“Well I didn’t know what to chose for Beau so I kind of got him one of everything I thought he’d like” she gestured to VJ to come closer and began to mooch through the bags. “There’s a couple of stuffed toys, a set of plastic animals, colouring books, pencils, a cup, plate and dish set, a place matt, this wriggly snake thingy..” she pulled it from the bag and wriggled it under Aden’s nose

“I get the picture” he laughed

“There are a couple of t-shirts too and I got a few things for Irene, a dish towel and a few fridge magnets”

“Wow I’m sure she’ll love those” Aden said sarcastically

“she will!” Belle pouted “Because I took the time to chose them for her!”

“yeah, ok.” he ginned “So anything for me in there?”

“Maybe, you‘ll just have to wait until we get home to find out” she answered suggestively peaking his curiosity

“Why? What did you buy?” he tried to reach the bags but Beau’s position on his lap kept him from leaning too far forwards

“All in good time Mr impatient” she laughed stepping between him and VJ, blocking his access to the bags. She crouched down and placed a kiss on Beau’s cheek then stole a quick kiss from Aden “I’m sure you’ll like it, and it will be worth the wait!”

“Something from the zoo gift shop? I’ll take your word for it sweetheart” he replied sceptically as she giggled.

At that moment Emme came bounding out of the shop heading straight in Belle’s direction

“Belle, Belle, we have a present for you! Well it’s not for you, it’s for the baby”

“She insisted” Tony informed them as he and Rachel followed her over and he handed Emme a bag which she in turn handed to Belle

“Thank you hun” Belle wrapped an arm around Emme’s waist and pulled her into a hug “I wonder what it could be?” she made a big show of squeezing the parcel and giving it a shake

“You have to open it silly” Emme told her

Belle laughed and slowly unwrapped the bag. Sticking her hand into it her face lit up when it came into contact with something impossibly soft. She pulled the soft toy from the bag and her smile widened even further when she made out what it was.

“Awwww Aden look” she waved the stuffed baby elephant in his direction

“That is very cute, almost as cute as you little lady, come here and give me a cuddle” he lifted his free arm from Beau and held it open for Emme who happily cuddled up to him as Belle thanked Tony and Rachel

“We ready to go?” Annie asked as her and Meg strolled over to them

“Just waiting for your other half and brother” Tony replied

“We are always waiting for Geoff” Belle moaned good naturedly

“Well it’s a good job I’m worth waiting for then isn’t it!” he chuckled as he and Jai joined them.

“That’s everyone isn’t it?” Rachel asked glancing around the group

“Yep, the whole motley crew!” Roman replied with a laugh “You alright there mate?” he asked Aden who was standing up, carefully shifting Beau into a more comfortable position to carry him to the car.

“yeah, I’ve got him” Aden replied brushing a kiss against Beau’s head as it rested against his shoulder.

They made their way out of the zoo chatting happily and laughing all the way to the cars. When they reached them it took a further 10 minutes for them all to say goodbye before they pulled away for the drive home

A few hours later when Aden pulled the car onto the drive at home Beau was still fast asleep

“I wonder if we’ll be able to get him straight into bed?” Belle said looking at her watch and seeing it was after 7

“I’ll give it a go” Aden replied as he got out of the car and carefully opened the door next to Beau

As he lifted him into his arms Beau stirred

“Where did the zoo go?” he asked sleepily opening his eyes and taking in his surroundings

“We’re home now squirt, you fell asleep and slept all the way home”

“the zoo was very good” he replied before closing his eyes again and burying his face in Aden’s neck

“Still tired huh buddy?” he asked, smiling when he felt Beau nod against his neck. “Let’s get you to bed little man”

He pushed the car door shut and followed Belle into the house. She had already made her way to Beau’s room and by the time he got up the stairs she had pulled the cover back on his bed and was sitting on the edge waiting for Aden to place him down.

“Come on my baby boy” she whispered when Aden lay him down. She gently took hold of one of his basket ball boot clad feet and began to undo the laces “We’ll just take off these and his shorts, he’ll be ok just sleeping in his shirt tonight”

“ok” Aden replied taking hold of is other foot and carefully removing the boot

Beau stirred when Belle lifted him slightly to take off his shorts but kept his eyes closed

“Am I in bed?”

“you are baby” Belle answered brushing a kiss against his forehead

“My bed?” he asked this time opening his eyes

“Yeah your bed buddy” Aden replied

“Can I go in your bed? I like your bed the bestest”

Aden looked to Belle for an answer

“Come on then” she lifted him into her arms and he snuggled into her embrace as she carried him to her and Aden’s room “That better?” she asked placing him in the centre of their bed, pulling the cover up over him.

“Will you stay with me mommy?”

“of course I will baby” she replied lying down next to him and laying an arm gently over him.

“And daddy?”

Aden was standing at the door, leaning against the frame “Yeah squirt, I’ll come and lie with you, I’ll just go and get the bags out of the car. Mommy promised me a present, I just wanna see what it is”

He left them and ran down the stairs and out to the car. Once he had collected all the bags from the boot he headed back upstairs peering into the bags as he went.

“He asleep again already?” he whispered looking at Beau

“Yeah, he’s worn out” Belle replied as she stroked a hand tenderly down her sons cheek

“So, where’s my pressie then ‘cause I’ve had a look and I can’t find it!”

“Come here” he walked around to Belle’s side of the bed, placing the bags next to her and then perching himself on the bed. She rooted around in the bags and then pulled something out handing it to him with a grin “There you go”

“A stuffed tiger!” he exclaimed

“Yeah” she laughed “You don’t remember do you?”

“Remember what?” he asked looking confused

“Your memory sucks babe! Remember when we first started dating and we kept it a secret from everyone?”

“When you were embarrassed by me you mean?”

“I wasn’t embarrassed but anyway….one morning you asked if you could stay again that night and I said only if you were quite and you said……”

“I’ll be quiet” he laughed “like…..”

“…Like a tiger in the jungle” she continued with him

“Grrrrrrr” he growled before placing his lips onto hers

“Daddy are you being a tiger” Beau asked groggily as Belle pulled away from Aden with a laugh

“He’s trying baby”

Aden groaned as he stood up from the bed and rounded it before climbing in on his own side

“So do you like it?” Belle asked with a giggle. As he lay down she tucked the toy into the small gap between him and Beau

“I’d have liked it more if you had given it to me when we were alone” he answered after a moment “but yeah, I love it! And I love you too!”

“do you love me daddy?”

“Weren’t you just asleep?” Aden asked with a laugh “yes I love you squirt, I love you and I love the new baby and I love mommy very much”

“And we love you don’t we Beau?” Belle replied

“We all love each other” he answered moments before he fell back into sleep

Chapter 28

As Belle drove Beau to the hospital for his final round of chemo she struggled to decide how she was feeling. For the main part she was relieved that it was coming to an end but the fact that they didn’t know yet if the treatment had worked was holding her back from truly appreciating the moment. She knew that if things didn’t go as they hoped they would have to start the whole process again. It was for this reason that she and Aden had decided not to tell Beau that this was hopefully the last time he would be visiting the hospital for the treatment he hated so much.

“Mommy, I don’t see daddy’s car. Is he not coming?” Beau called from the backseat “Of course he’s coming baby, but he’s not bringing his car so we can all go home together. In fact, look over there on that wall” She gestured to where she had spotted Aden, sitting on the low wall that surrounded the car park.

“My daddy!” Beau exclaimed as he began to wave to Aden who, having watched the car pull into the car park, had begun walking towards them. By the time Belle had parked he was waiting next to Beau’s door and opened it as soon as she came to a stop.

“Hey squirt” he said leaning into the car to unfasten Beau’s seatbelt

“Hello daddy, did you catch lots of fish on the boat today?”

“I didn’t go out today buddy, I stayed on the docks” Aden replied with a grin, lifting him from the car

“What did you do there then?” Beau asked inquisitively as Belle rounded the car and quickly kissed Aden hello.

“Well…” Aden took hold of Beau’s hand and as he led him into the hospital filled him in on what he had been up to at work that morning.

Rachel was waiting for them when they arrived at his usual room. Belle had already let her know not to mention anything about this being the last session.

“Hello young man, how are you today?”

“I’m good thank you Rachel, how are you?” Beau replied sweetly

“All the better for seeing you handsome!” Rachel answered

Beau covered his mouth as he giggled

“What’s so funny?” Rachel asked looking to Belle and Aden who shrugged their shoulders, both as in the dark as she was.

“You sound like the big bad wolf in the riding hood story” Beau managed to explain through his giggles

Rachel laughed as she lifted him into her arms “Well it’s a good job we didn’t mention my teeth then isn’t it” she said as she placed him onto the bed “because we all know what that would mean don’t we?”

“better to eat me with” Beau giggled as Rachel tickled his sides.

“Exactly” Rachel replied “You are very lucky I had Roman’s pancakes for breakfast so I’m all full up!”

Aden and Belle both laughed at the exchange between their son and the doctor and were slightly in awe that Rachel managed to get him hooked up to the drip stand with him barely noticing.

“Right all done! I’m sure you guys will manage to keep yourselves entertained”

“we will, thanks Rach” Belle replied as she came to sit down in the chair next to Beau’s bed

“So squirt, what shall we do then?” Aden asked once Rachel had left “you’ve got your bag of tricks here” he picked up Beau’s bag from the floor and placed it on the bed

“There’s no tricks in there daddy, just toys and my colouring pencils and DVD’s”

“Aww shucks! Really? No tricks huh?” Aden replied trying unsuccessfully to hide a grin

Beau shook his head seriously as Belle tried to stifle a laugh

“I’ve got an idea munchkin, it’s only a month or so till Christmas, how about we write your letter to Santa?”

Beau’s face lit up at her suggestion but then fell slightly just as suddenly

“That is a good idea mommy but I need to speak to granddad first”

“Why do you need to speak to granddad?” Aden asked looking to Belle to see if she knew but it was clear from the look of confusion on her face that she didn’t

“I can’t tell you daddy because it’s a secret with me and my granddad”

“Well granddad’s at work mate” Aden said

“Can I use your ABC phone then mommy?”

“AB…..ah you mean my I phone?” she laughed “You want to call granddad?”

“Yes please mommy, it is very portant”

She looked to Aden who shrugged his shoulders again “No idea babe!”

“ok munchkin” she slid her phone from her pocket and began to find the number for the diner. When she had found it and connected the call she handed the phone to Beau who took it, flashing her a heart melting grin in thanks.

“Hello Colleen, it’s Beau Jefferies. I need to talk to my granddad please”

Aden and Belle watched with amusement as Beau chatted confidently with Colleen before she handed the phone over to Roman.

“Hello granddad…..yes thank you….I need to talk to you about our portant thing!” he paused for a moment and then moved the phone away from his ear as he looked at his parents “I need to speak to granddad secretly, can you close your ears”

They both laughed “come on babe, we’ll wait outside” Aden took hold of Belle’s hand and pulled her up from the chair. “We’ll be right outside squirt, call us when you are done ok?”

“Yes, thank you daddy!”

“Ok granddad, I can talk to you now, mommy and daddy aren’t listening anymore” Beau continued as they left the room both laughing quietly

“So, what do you think that’s all about?” Belle asked

“I have absolutely no idea!” Aden replied with a laugh as he sat down on a chair just outside Beau’s door pulling Belle onto his lap.

Flashback

Roman carried Beau to the couch in the corner of the diner as Aden followed Irene into the kitchen

“So little soldier, what’s up?” he asked as he sat himself down next to his grandson

"Member when you showed me the pictures of you in your soldier costume?" Beau asked

"Uh huh" Roman replied

"You had stripy bits on your shoulder and shiny badges" the little boy continued "mommy splained that you had them 'cause you were a brave hero!"

"Really? I don't know about that" Roman said fighting a grin

"Well that's what mommy said and when I nearly got runned down and daddy saved me mommy said he was a hero too!"

"I bet she did"

"But Granddad, it's not very fair because my daddy hasn't got a shiny hero badge"

"You are right mate" Roman replied trying to force a frown onto his face "that isn't fair at all is it?"

Beau shook his head "I had a idea but it wasn't very good" he explained seriously

"What was it?" Roman asked intrigued

"Well I was gonna ask Santa to bring him one but daddy always helps me write my wishes letter so then it wont be a surprise!"

"hmmmm yeah, that is a bit of a problem isn't it!" Roman was really struggling to keep the laughter at bay, but his love for Beau kept him from doing anything that might upset him

"you could help me granddad" Beau suggested

"You want me to get daddy a badge from the shops?"

"No silly, you can just ask Santa when you send him your wishes letter 'cause you don't need daddy to help you!"

“I could do that, you might have to remind me though mate, I have a lot of things I need to put on my list for Santa and I wouldn’t want to forget!”

“I’ll mind you.” Beau replied as he bit his lip thoughtfully “I think we should put something for mommy on your list too. She didn’t save me from the car nearly knocking me down but she looks after me all all all the time and she gives me cuddles and magic kisses when the chemo makes me sick”

“We definitely need to put something on the list for her then don’t we! What do you reckon she’d like?” Roman asked

Beau thought for a minute before answering “She likes to look at all the pictures she’s tooked of me and daddy, we could ask Santa to make her a picture book!”

“I’ve got a better idea” Roman suggested “how about you spend a day at my house and you can make mommy the picture book because I think she’ll like it even more then and then we can send it to Santa to give to mommy”

“That’s a good idea granddad” Beau nodded his head with a smile “Mommy and daddy will be mega surprised!”

“They will indeed mate” Roman replied as he ran his hand affectionately over Beau’s head and down his back “Here’s daddy now” he said gesturing towards the kitchen

“Let’s be shhhh then granddad” Beau told him placing his finger to his lips.

End flashback

“Belle!” Aden exclaimed with a chuckle

“What?” she replied defensively

“Stop trying to listen to what he’s saying!”

“I’m not, I…. ok I am! What does he need to speak to Roman about that’s so important?”

“I’m sure we’ll find out soon enough!” Aden laughed “Come on you need distracting! Hmmm, what can I do to distract you….?”

She giggled as he tilted his head towards her and gently joined his lips to hers.

She let them linger there for a moment before she pulled away.

“very nice” she grinned “But I have a bett….different way of distracting us”

“Nice save” he laughed “So what’s your idea then?”

“Well we have like 2 months before this little one puts in an appearance….” she unwound her arm from around his neck and rested her hand against her bump “….and we haven’t been near a baby shop!”

“Errr I hate to burst your bubble gorgeous but this is a hospital, no baby shops here!”

“always the comedian!” Belle replied dryly “What I meant was that we should sort out a list of what we need”

“Ok!” he laughed “So we still have all the furniture from Beau, I suppose we should get that from Irene’s soon”

“Yeah. We need a new pushchair though, and blankets and bottles and nappies and vests and….”

“I get the idea babe! How about we take a trip into the city at the weekend. We could do some Christmas shopping then too”

“It’s Wednesday today Aden, I doubt Beau will be up to it by then.”

“We could leave him here, I’m sure Irene or Annie wouldn’t mind watching him for the day”

“Yeah, ok. I’ll give them a call and……”

“Mommy! Daddy!”

Belle was interrupted by Beau calling for them

“Coming baby” she called back as she stood up from her seat on Aden’s lap holding out her hand for him. “Hey, you all done munckin?” she asked

“I’m done mommy but granddad needs to talk to you or daddy”

I’ll get it” Aden said taking the phone from Beau as Belle sat down on the bed next to her son

“So? You gonna tell me what you needed granddad for?” she asked him

“It’s still a secret mommy” he replied

“ok then” Belle sighed

“Don’t be grumpy mommy it’s a very nice secret and it wont be a secret for a very long time I promise”

Belle grinned as she leant forward and gave Beau a kiss “ok sweetie I can wait” how about we make a start on your letter now?”

“good idea mommy, I hope I have lots and lots of paper in my bag because I need to ask Santa for lots and lots of things” he pulled his bag towards him and proceeded to empty the contents onto the bed placing the things he would need onto the table that Belle had pulled over the bed just in front of him.

“So you are going to granddads house on Saturday then squirt?” Aden asked Beau as he handed Belle her phone back

“Yes, we have to do something secret and very portant”

Belle shook her head with a laugh “ I wont even ask! I suppose that saves us asking Annie or Irene”

“Yeah, that’s what I said to Roman” Aden replied

“And he doesn’t mind having him all day?” Belle checked

“He said he’d love it” Aden answered with a smile “Something about Beau being the only one to put VJ in a good mood!”

“Uncle VJ can help me to make……” Beau clamped his hand to his mouth when he realised he had nearly let Belle and Aden find out what he would be doing with Roman.

Belle noticing and not wanting him to be upset tried to carry on as if nothing had happened “Me and daddy are going to the city to buy some things for the baby on Saturday, will you be ok with Granddad and Leah and VJ all day?”

“Yes, I think so mommy. Leah is very good at cuddles if I feel poorly”

“she is isn’t she” Belle grinned.

“Uh huh, and so is granddad” Beau replied “What do you need to buy for the baby mommy?”

“Well, we need quite a few things…..”

A few hours later Beau was fast asleep on the bed and Aden had also dropped off as he lay next to him. The two of them had spent over an hour writing out the letter for Santa. Beau had dictated what he had wanted and Aden had copied it all down in large writing using a light pencil. Once he had finished Beau painstakingly traced over all of the writing with various different coloured pens and then added some drawings of the things he wished for around the edges.

Whilst they were busy Belle had occupied herself looking through the pile of magazines that Rachel had, like always, left in the room for her so she was unaware of the contents of the letter.

Picking it up from the table she smiled to herself as she unfolded it and her eyes slowly took in what was on the page. pride overwhelmed her when she saw how neatly Beau had traced each of the words and when she realised that she could tell, without having to ask, what each and every one of the drawings represented.

Her grin widened as she read the list of toys Beau was wishing for, glad to see that some of the things they had already bought and hidden away were listed there. Nearing the bottom of the letter she realised quickly that they must have added more whilst she was out of the room chatting to Rachel. She was certain that no matter how distracted she had been by the magazines, had she been in the room she would have heard Beau tell Aden what to write. As she read it she couldn’t keep the tears from flowing freely down her cheeks dripping onto the page and adding to the water marks that had previously gone unnoticed by her obviously left by Aden who had reacted to Beau’s words in the same way she had.

I got bad stuff in my blood Santa, can you take that away for Christmas? I have been very brave being sick but now I want to be a strong big brother for our new baby. Thank you very much , lots of love Beau Jefferies x x x

A muffled sob escaped her lips as she felt a strong pair of arms wrap around her.

“I thought you were asleep” she whispered as she raised a hand to wipe the tears from her face

“Nah, just resting my eyes. You ok baby?”

She shrugged her shoulders as she waved the paper slightly “He’s so amazing Aden! What if…..”

“Hey! No what if’s Belle. We have to believe that this has all worked…” he waved his hand in the direction of the drip stand that was pumping the medication into their son “….That this is the last time we’ll be here doing this!”

“God Aden I hope so, so much!”

“I know you do sweetheart”

The emotion that Belle had felt building all morning broke free as she let herself sob into Aden’s chest.

He held her tightly for a few minutes as she cried. His hand rubbing comforting circles on her back and his lips pressing kisses into her hair.

They pulled apart when Rachel came into the room quietly, apologising for interrupting them.

“That’s ok Rach, I was just having a bit of a moment” Belle explained

“I think you are more than entitled to those sweetie” Rachel replied taking hold of her hand and squeezing it reassuringly. “so how are we going in here? Ok?” she walked over to Beau’s bed and looked at his chart and the stand that was administering the drugs “Looks good, it shouldn’t be too much longer. Now I’ve spoken with Beau’s specialist and we are going to run the tests to find out if he’s in remission next week is that ok with you?”

“Yeah, of course” Aden replied “How long will it take for us to get the results?”

“Just a day or so, I’ll do my best to get them rushed through”

“Thanks so much Rach” Aden replied sincerely

“Hey, it’s no problem. Hopefully in just over a week this will all be over”

“Yeah, we hope so” Belle replied “We really hope so”

Chapter 29

Turning over in bed and stretching out his arm lazily Aden frowned when his hand failed to make contact with his wife as he expected and instead brushed across the cold sheet. He opened his eyes and glanced at the clock groaning when he saw it was only just past 7. He was hoping to get a few lie ins as he had taken the week off work whilst they waited for Beau’s results. They had taken him for the tests yesterday and Rachel had promised to call them as soon as the hospital received the results. He had a feeling the anticipation of this was the reason the bed next to him was empty. Running a hand over his face to wake himself up he rolled out of bed and made his way out of their room to find Belle. The first room he came to along the short corridor was Beau’s bedroom. The door was already ajar as Beau insisted they leave it open every night when he went to bed. Aden slowly pushed the door until he was able to peer around it into the room. He was surprised to see Beau still fast asleep sprawled on his bed, small snores emitting from his partially open mouth. He tiptoed over to the bed and crouched down level with his son’s head and spent a few quiet minutes just looking at him, marvelling as he always did at how beautiful and amazing he was. Being careful not to wake him he leant down and gently kissed his forehead before standing up and heading out of the room.

The door to the next room was opened all the way and as he approached he spotted Belle in there. They had spent the beginning of the week turning the empty bedroom into a nursery for the new baby. They had collected the furniture from Irene’s house and Beau had enjoyed helping Aden to put it back together. Belle was now sitting on the floor next to the dresser re-arranging the pile of white and cream onesies, vests and socks that they had bought on their trip to the city. Aden leant against the doorframe and watched her for a while until she felt his gaze upon her and looked up

“Hey gorgeous, you ok?” he asked when her eyes met his. He pushed himself off the frame and walked towards her, sitting himself on the floor by her side.

“Yeah I guess” she sighed “how come you’re up? I thought you wanted a lie in”

“There’s not much point of lying in if you’re not there to snuggle up next to” he answered smoothly causing the desired smile to grace her lips

“I just couldn’t sleep” she placed her hand on his knee and rested her head against his shoulder

“I noticed, you tossed and turned all night”

“Sorry, did I keep you awake?” she looked up at him her eyes filled with guilt and worry

“Hey, it’s alright, I was awake anyway” he gently took hold of her chin and tilted her head so he could place a tender kiss on her lips.

“Aden, I’m so scared” she whispered when they pulled apart and tears sprang to her eyes

“baby, come here” he wrapped his arms around her and lifted her onto his lap “it’s going to be fine, he will have beat it Belle I know it”

“I hope so but we can’t know that for sure and if he hasn’t it will kill me Aden!”

“Me too babe, we need to be positive though”

“I’m trying” she smiled slightly as Aden used his thumbs to wipe the tears from her cheeks “But it’s really hard”

“What’s really hard mommy?” Beau walked into the room rubbing at his eyes sleepily with one hand, the other trailing Nic nac by it’s arm.

“Nothing for you to worry about munchkin” she replied hastily wiping at her face to remove any lasting traces of tears

“it must be something really really hard to make you sniffly mommy” he replied, his face clouded with the worry that Belle was trying to avoid

“Come here squirt” Aden unwound his arms from around Belle and held them open for Beau to come and join them “mommy’s just a bit worried about some grown up things and having the baby in her tummy just makes her a bit more sniffly than usual”

“Really?” Beau asked the worry being replaced with intrigue as he sat down on Belle’s lap and Aden wrapped his arms tightly back around the two of them “did I make you sniffly when I was in your tummy mommy?”

“A little bit baby” Belle grinned

“When you were in mommy’s tummy squirt she was really clumsy” Aden told Beau with a small laugh “She was always dropping things and breaking them”

“I was n…..ok maybe I was a little bit” she grinned “we did have to buy lots more glasses after you were born”

“You should have used my special cars cup mommy because that doesn’t break when you drop it. I’ve dropped it lots and lots of times and it didn’t get broked!”

“Well we didn’t have your cars cup before you came along silly sausage, we bought that for you when you got big enough to throw away your tippee cup remember.”

“I’m not a sausage mommy” Beau giggled “And that was a big long time ago, my remembers don’t go very far.”

“Well it’s a good job mine do then isn’t it hey baby? I remember every little thing about you because I love you so so much!”

“I love you too mommy” Beau replied turning around in the embrace of both of his parents so he could wind his arms around Belle’s neck and place a sweet kiss against her cheek “and you can use my cars cup now just in case you get clumsy again”

“Well thank you munchkin that’s very kind and baby thinks so too” Belle replied taking hold of Beau’s hand and placing it against her bump so he could feel the baby kick.

“You are welcome baby” Beau manoeuvred himself so his lips were level with Belle’s stomach “when you are big you can use my cars cup too”

“Wow, that’s really really kind squirt” Aden told him with a grin “Now, how about we go and get some breakfast?”

“pancakes?” Beau asked hopefully

“Oh I think we might be able to manage that” Aden replied

After getting dressed and then a long lazy breakfast Aden took Beau to play whilst Belle cleared up. Once she had finished she strolled into the lounge and leant lazily against the back of the couch watching her boys play.

They were both stretched out on the rug in front of the couch with Beau’s box of cars emptied next to them. Beau was instructing Aden on the best way to line the cars up insisting that Lightening Mcqueen go at the front as he was the fastest.

She was just about to go and join them when the phone rang. Glancing at Aden apprehensively she rushed to answer it. Aden stayed where he was but his concentration shifted from Beau to the conversation that Belle was having.

As soon as she hung up he stood up and went over to where she was standing

“Rachel?” he asked. She nodded her head as he wrapped his arms around her “and?”

“She has the results. We need to go in to get them. She hasn’t looked at them herself yet, she wanted to let us know as soon as.”

“Right! Let’s go then yeah”

“What about Beau? Do we take him with us or….?” She trailed off as she looked over to where he was still playing “I think we should leave him with Irene or something, just in case they….”

“Alright” Aden interrupted “I think you’re right but positive thinking yeah” he reminded her

“Ok” she replied forcing a smile onto her face “Beau baby, do you want to go and see nana Irene and granddad at the diner for a little while?”

“Can I take my cars?” Beau asked looking up from his game

“sure” Belle replied “I’ll find your bag for you”

A few minutes later Aden and Beau were placing his cars into the bag whilst Belle called the diner to check that it would be ok for Beau to spend an hour or so there. As she suspected Irene was more than willing to watch him so once the cars were all collected up they headed out to the car and drove to the diner.

“Hey there little soldier” Roman called as Beau entered the diner followed closely by Belle and Aden “Just the man I wanted to see”

“me?” Beau asked excitedly “You wanted to see me?”

“Yep, Leah’s having a bit of trouble with her baking and needs a hand, I thought you would be the perfect person to help”

“I am very good at baking” Beau replied “I came just in time didn’t I?”

“yeah you did buddy, come here” Roman held out his arms and Beau ran into them

“Thanks mate” Aden said to Roman “You ok here then squirt?” he asked Beau as he dropped a kiss onto his cheek

“Yes daddy. Granddad, can I make cake for mommy and daddy?”

“I can’t see why not” Roman replied with a smile

“We’ll look forward to it baby” Belle said leaning in to give Beau a kiss before Roman carried him into the kitchen.

“You two alright?” Irene asked wondering over to them

“Nervous” Belle replied

“of course you are darl, we all have our fingers crossed!”

“Thanks Irene” Aden said as he hooked his arm over Belle’s shoulder “Ready to go babe?”

“yeah, see you in a bit Irene”

“Good luck” Irene replied giving Belle’s arm a reassuring squeeze.

The drive to the hospital was a quiet one, both Belle and Aden lost in their own thoughts. Once the car was parked Belle got out straight away but Aden didn’t move from his seat

“Babe?” Belle ducked back down so she could see him through the open car door

“Sorry” he sighed “I’m coming” he slowly climbed out of the car and rounded it to stand next to her

“Positive thinking Aden” she smiled slightly nudging his shoulder with hers

“Yeah I know” he managed a grin “Lets go do this” he clutched hold of her hand and led her into the hospital taking the familiar route straight to Rachel’s office.

He raised a hand and knocked on the door, pushing it open a moment later when Rachel’s voice sounded from within

“Hey guys” she smiled at them as they entered “Come on in and sit down”

They followed her instructions, both of them staring intently at her trying to read from her face whether the news she was about to tell them was good or bad

“Well?” Aden asked tightening his grip on Belle’s hand as Rachel picked up an envelope from her desk

“I don’t know. I haven’t looked at them yet. I thought we should do it together.”

“Ok” Belle nodded “thanks Rach”

“No problem, right, here goes” She lifted the flap on the envelope and pulled out a sheet of folded paper. She opened it quickly and her eyes scanned the words written on it looking for the vital information she needed. She could feel Belle and Aden’s eyes on her and tried her best to keep her face from revealing her feelings over what she was reading but when her eyes finally fell on the desired words she couldn’t keep the smile from her lips.

Belle gasped noticing the smile and Rachel nodded her head

“It’s good guys” she raised her eyes from the letter to look at them “it’s really good, he’s in remission!”

Aden let out the breath that he had been holding since Rachel opened the envelope and beamed a smile at Rachel before looking to his wife

She had pulled her hand from his and it was now covering her mouth

“Babe?” he asked

“Are…..are you sure Rachel?” she stuttered

“Belle I’m positive, the leukaemia is gone” Rachel said as she blinked back the tears that had sprung to her eyes

“Oh god! Thank you, thank you so much Rach!” tears began to pour down her cheeks as she jumped from her chair and embraced Rachel who was already making her way around the desk

“You are more than welcome. I can not tell you how happy I am” Rachel exclaimed as she let go of Belle and hugged Aden

“Thanks” he whispered his voice thick with emotion

“I’ll give you two a minute” Rachel told them quietly slipping out of the office as Belle and Aden stood staring at each other

“He did it sweetheart” Aden said and as soon as the words left his lips Belle was in his arms “He did it” he repeated as his hands cupped her face and his thumbs slowly tried to catch the tears that were dripping down her face

“Aden……!”

“I know baby” he grinned when she couldn’t find the words to express what she wanted to say. “You don’t have to say it, I know” he leant forward and joined their lips together in a kiss that said more than any words could.

They both rushed into the diner an hour later to find Beau sitting on the counter happily, chatting animatedly to Roman who looked just as happy to be listening to him as he prepared an order of coffee for a customer.

“hello” he called spotting them and waving making Belle’s eyes instantly fill with tears as a rush of love for him overwhelmed her

“mommy, you are sniffly again!” he exclaimed “I will have to be cross with the baby if it keeps making you sad!”

“Oh I’m not sad baby, these are happy tears, very very very happy tears” she said taking Beau in her arms and grinning at Roman who was looking at them expectantly

“Good news then?” he asked as his face broke into a smile

“the best mate” Aden replied “Come over here squirt, we have something to tell you”

Belle followed Aden to the couch with Beau held tightly in her arms and sat down with him on her lap

“me and mommy have just been to see Rachel Beau, she gave us some very good news” Aden explained

“is it about the baby? Did she say it is going to be a brother?”

“No baby, the good news is about you “ Belle told him

“About me? Is it about the horrible medicine, is it not going to be horrible anymore?”

“You don’t have to have it anymore squirt” Aden replied happily “it’s finished doing its job”

“the bad stuff is gone?” Beau asked a look of hope filling his big blue eyes

“The bad stuff is gone!” Aden confirmed before reaching forward and brushing a kiss against his forehead

They heard gasps and sounds of happiness from the other side of the room as Irene, Roman and Leah heard them impart the news but both Belle and Aden were focusing solely on their son.

His eyes lit up as he took in the news “I don’t have to have any more chemo?”

“Nope” Belle shook her head as she grinned her hold on him tightening

“That is very good news” Beau smiled “Santa must have got my wishes letter already. Will my other presents be at home?”

They both chuckled at his question, Aden was the first to respond

“I think we’ll have to wait till Christmas for your other wishes squirt, maybe Santa wanted you to have this one early”

“That must be right daddy, he’s very kind. And now I wont be sick for Christmas and will be able to play on my new bike”

“We’ll have to wait and see if he brings you a bike first wont we munckin” Belle laughed as Beau nodded in agreement

Aden grinned as he thought about the bike that was stored safely in Roman and Leah’s garage along with the other presents they had bought on their trip to the city. It was the first time in months that he could think about the future with a genuine smile on his face and that feeling brought tears of happiness to his eyes as he wound his arms around his family in a loving embrace.

This one's just a filler but a super sweet, fluffy filler :D

Chapter 30

“Daddy”

“Hmmm?” Aden groaned without opening his eyes

“Daddy” Beau whispered again “I need your help”

“What is it squirt?” Aden mumbled his eyes remaining shut against the early morning sun that was streaming in through the small gap in the curtains

“I don’t know which button turns the stove on?”

“What?!” Aden exclaimed finally opening his eyes to look at his son “oh my god!”

“What, what is it?” Belle asked jumping awake at Aden’s exclamation

“I think someone’s been busy whilst we had a lie in” Aden chuckled unable to tear his eyes away from his son

Belle lifted herself up so she could see over Aden and a bubble of laughter burst over her lips

“What have you been up to baby?”

“I’m trying to make breakfast” Beau answered

“Pancakes?” Aden guessed with a laugh

“How did you know daddy?”

“Oh I don’t know, might be something to do with all this flour!” Aden ran his hand gently down the front of Beau’s Buzz lightyear PJ’s that were usually green but were presently almost all white owing to the large amount of flour that was covering them.

“Oh yeah” Beau giggled “It all puffed out when I tipped it into the mixing bowl”

“It tends to do that” Belle laughed “Do I even wanna know how messy my kitchen is?”

Beau bit his lip before answering “The floor is a bit messy. Some of the flour spilled down there when it puffed out and my fingers didn’t hold the chicky egg tight enough and that broked on the floor too but don’t worry mommy, I picked the yellow bit up and put it in the mixing bowl anyway.”

“Good boy squirt” Aden laughed “I guess we better come down and see the damage huh? And maybe I can help make some more pancake mix”

“We don’t need more daddy, I mixed it all up really good with lots and lots of milk. I just need you to put the stove on because I’m too small and maybe you can do the flippy bits too because the pan is a bit too heavy for me but you have big muscles so it will be easy peasy for you!”

“He does have very big muscles doesn’t he” Belle grinned squeezing Aden’s arm before she climbed out of bed holding out a hand for Beau “Let’s go baby boy”

“Hey! Wait for me!” Aden grumbled playfully climbing out of bed and hurrying to catch up with them.

“Wow!” Belle exclaimed when they reached the kitchen “you have been very busy haven’t you baby?” she laughed along with Aden when he joined them.

Every counter was covered with some kind of bowl or container. The table had been set, somewhat haphazardly including glasses full to the rim with juice, bowls overflowing with cheerios, slices of bread covered in what Belle hoped was vegemite and a large dish filled with strawberries and grapes

“I didn’t know what your tummies would be hungry for so I choosed lots of different things”

“We can see that” Aden grinned as he gingerly picked up the spoon poking out of the top of what he assumed to be the pancake batter

“Did I do a good job daddy?”

“Errr” Aden poked at a large lump in the middle of a puddle of rather runny batter “Yeah, it looks…ok! Might need a bit more mixing though” he winked at Belle as he stepped forward to hand Beau the bowl

“whoa!”

His free hand shot out to grab hold of a chair to stop himself from slipping when his bare foot made contact with something wet and slimy on the tiled floor “Guess that’s where you dropped the eggs huh buddy?” he lifted his foot as he hitched up the leg of his dusky green Pyjama bottoms

Beau nodded his head as he tried to stop the laughter from bubbling over his lips

“Oh you think daddy nearly falling over is funny do ya?” Aden asked placing the bowl onto the table

“Uh huh” Beau nodded again as he laughed and stepped behind Belle as Aden hopped towards him

Belle laughed as Beau wrapped his arms around her legs

“out the way babe, I’ve got a monkey to catch!” Aden grinned wiggling his outstretched fingers in Beau’s direction causing the little boy to laugh even harder

“No can do!” Belle insisted winding her arm behind her to hold Beau closer to her and laughing again when Aden began to wobble unsteadily as he still held his messy foot in the air behind him

“Hey! What’s this? Two against one?”

“Nope, three against one actually!” Belle replied running her free hand over her protruding stomach.

“Oh I see! Like that is it?” Aden bit back a laugh as he picked up a cloth and used it to wipe the sticky egg white from the bottom of his foot. “So who’s first?” he threw the cloth back down onto the table and stalked closer to his wife and son a playful glint in his eye.

Beau was laughing so hard he was having trouble remaining upright

“Not me daddy! Get mommy first!”

“Hey you! We’re supposed to be on the same side!” Belle exclaimed as Aden threw his head back with laughter

“mommy it is then!” he grinned

Laughing Belle tried to move backwards but with Beau standing so close behind her it was impossible

“Aden!” she warned as she saw him reach into the bowl of pancake batter and pick up the spoon “you wouldn’t dare!”

“Oh I think I would” he chuckled looking to Beau “What do you think squirt? Should I?”

Unable to talk for laughing Beau just nodded his head

Aden raised the spoon as he took the final step that would bring him within touching distance of his giggling wife

“Aden!” she squealed as in one quick motion he wiped the back of the spoon down her cheek “I can’t believe you just did that!”

He laughed as he wrapped his free arm around her waist and pulled her towards him so his lips could make contact with the warm skin of her neck “Sorry babe” he laughed pulling away slightly “Now, where’s that little monkey gone?” he peered over her shoulder to see Beau’s big blue eyes staring up at him pure joy radiating from them.

“Daddy!” he laughed as Aden gently pushed Belle aside, causing Beau’s arms to drop from her legs

“hold this babe, I’m gonna need two hands” he handed Belle the spoon with a wink before turning back to Beau who was slowly backing away from him, his small body shaking with laughter.

“You are in for it now squirt” he chuckled as he made a gentle grab for Beau easily catching him between his large hands, scooping him up and turning him upside down in one swift movement. “What am I gonna do with you now?” he asked as he held him tightly against his body with one arm and used his other hand to tickle him.

“No tickles!” Beau cried through his laughter “Daddy!”

“you sorry for laughing at me?” Aden asked

“Yes?” Beau squealed

“You sure?” Aden checked his hand hovering over Beau’s tummy ready to tickle at a moments notice

“Yes I promise daddy, I’m sorry for laughing!”

“Right, ok!” Aden turned Beau the right way up and placed him down steadily on his feet brushing a kiss against his head as he did so

“Now that’s done, who’s gonna help clear up all this me…..stuff?” Belle asked with a smile

“We have to cook the pancakes first” Beau said handing Belle the bowl of pancake mixture

“Oh yeah” Belle replied shooting Aden a quick grimace “Lets get this in the pan then.”

“Wow, did an aftershave factory blow up in here or something!” Belle exclaimed walking into her and Aden’s room.

“Funny” Aden replied Pausing in his actions when Belle came up behind him and wrapped her arms around his chest her hands sliding underneath the material of the black shirt he was in the process of doing up

“I can’t believe you are leaving us” she whispered into his ear, placing a string of kisses just underneath it

“Babe, it’s Roman’s bucks night and I’m the best man! I have to go!”

“Yeah, I know” she grinned “I’m just being greedy”

The three of them had spent every waking moment of the past week together and since receiving Beau’s results the previous day they had done nothing but laugh and smile with and at each other

“I can live with your greediness funnily enough” he chuckled “Tell you what, you wait up for me tonight and……”

“If I thought you would be up to it babe I’d hold you to that!”

“What do you mean up to it?” he asked incredulously “I’m always up to it!”

Belle laughed at the offended look on his face “I just meant it’s a bucks night, you are bound to have a lot to drink, things might not…..work the way you’d like them to!” She continued to giggle and the horrified look did not leave Aden’s face at her explanation

“What wont work? Beau asked as he skipped into their room “maybe it needs new batteries”

Belle burst into laughter as she turned around to look at her son

“You might be right munchkin!” she giggled “What do you reckon babe?”

“I reckon that you should stop talking” Aden laughed as he glanced at the clock “And that I’m gonna be late if I don’t get a move on!”

“Can I come to granddads party with you daddy?” Beau asked sweetly

“Aww Squirt, it’s a night for big boys, we’re just gonna drink beer and …..stuff”

“Stuff?” Belle asked with a raised eyebrow

“Yeah, stuff!” Aden laughed slyly tapping the side of his nose “Anyway mate, I need you to stay here and look after mommy and the baby for me, who knows what kind of trouble they could get into if we left them alone”

“Mommy would eat all the ice cream” Beau whispered loudly shielding his mouth from Belle in the hopes that she wouldn’t be able to hear him

“Yes she would!” Aden grinned “So I need you to guard the freezer ok!”

“I’ll keep my eye on it daddy” Beau replied seriously as Aden and Belle laughed

“I love her so much Aden” Roman cried as he flung his arm around Aden’s shoulder

“Yeah I gathered that mate” Aden laughed

“I love you too you know!”

“Yeah ok”

Roman flopped down onto the sand causing Aden to stumble

“So we’re sitting then?” he asked dryly sitting himself down next to Roman

“Yeah, let’s sit” Roman said “I do love you mate”

“We already cleared that up” Aden laughed

“Yeah I know but I wanted you to know how……how proud I am of you!”

“Thanks Roman, means a lot! Even if you are drunk!”

“I’m not that….ok I am drunk but I know what I’m saying. You have been through so much lately with Beau and everything who by the way is a complete credit to you!”

“Yeah he is pretty great” Aden replied

“He is and that’s down to you and Belle! You are great parents! And you have handled everything so well, I’m really proud! Really proud!”

“You said that already” Aden pointed out cheekily

“I’m drunk” Roman bellowed “What do you expect”

Aden laughed at the reply and patted Roman on the back “It’s all thanks to you big man! I couldn’t have done any of it without you! Don’t know why I’m bothering to say it because there is no way you’ll remember this in the morning but thanks anyway!”

“I’ll remember” Roman slurred I’ll def…defi….I’ll remember.

“Hey Aden!”

“Tony Hi” Aden replied, somewhat relieved to see his friend

“I thought you guys went home?”

“Yeah, I’m trying!” Aden rolled his eyes at Roman who had flopped backwards so he was now lying in the sand

“Need a hand?”

“I think so!” Aden grinned as Tony crouched down and together they lifted Roman into a standing position pulling his arms over their shoulders so they could support him on the walk home.

“Hey” Aden was surprised to see Belle wide awake and sitting up on their bed when he arrived home

“Hey yourself” she grinned “Good night?”

“Yeah very good, the stripper was really hot!”

“Ha ha, very funny!” she replied

“Who said I’m joking!” he answered back “She was blonde, had legs up to…..ouch!” he winced when the pillow Belle threw at him hit him square in the face

“shot!” She chuckled as she slithered down the bed so her head was resting on the pillows

“You’re gonna pay for that!” he growled climbing onto the bed after kicking off his shoes

“Wow! I’m really scared now!”

“You should be!” Aden replied as he began to crawl slowly up the bed one arm either side of her body so he ended up hovering over her “Isn’t it a little hot for this?” he whispered pulling at the top she was wearing, pushing the spaghetti strap down her shoulder and following it with a trail of hungry kisses

“I was just about to ask you the very same thing” Belle replied as her fingers began to work on popping open the buttons of his shirt

“Well that’s quite the coincidence isn’t it” Aden said into her neck as he worked his lips over her soft skin towards her lips

“Mmm….” Belle tried to respond but his lips reached hers before she could and he kissed her so passionately that any thoughts she had in her mind at that moment completely disappeared. When he pulled away after a few moments they were both breathless from both the kiss and anticipation of what was to come.

“so..” she whispered huskily pushing his shirt from his shoulders and slowly trailing kisses from his lips to his jaw and down his neck “You’re not drunk”

“I’m not drunk” he confirmed placing a hand on her chin and gently using it to encourage her to turn her head so he could kiss her lips again.

“and everything is in working order?” she asked with a giggle against his lips

“definitely!” he replied before hungrily kissing her once more

“You sure?” she checked as they parted once again

“Belle, how about you stop talking and I show you how well everything is working”

Archived