Rollercoaster

Guest bradyell

First of all thanks for the lovely comments guys, really really appreciate them :D

This chap is just a shortish one - Laura there is a teeny chance that you'll need tissues again :lol:

Chapter 11

Walking from the hospital Aden’s hand clutched in hers Belle dialled their home number on her phone, it rang a few times before being answered

“Hello, the Jefferies house” a small voice greeted her

“Hello there gorgeous” she smiled into the phone “How are you baby?”

“I’ve been sick again mommy, are you coming home now?”

“Oh no baby! I’m so sorry we weren’t there, we’ll be home really soon I promise. Where’s aunt Abi sweetie?”

“She’s just here, do you want to talk to her?”

“Yes please baby. I’ll see you soon ok?”

“Ok mommy, here’s Abi”

Belle heard him mutter something as he passed the phone over and glanced over at Aden who was looking worriedly at her

“He’s been sick” she quickly informed him

He sighed a deep sigh as he quickened their pace towards the car.

“Abi, is he ok? He said he’s been sick”

“yeah, a couple of times. He’s asking for you and Aden now”

“We’re on our way, did you…is he…”

“Belle, he’s fine now, all cleaned up watching a film. Don’t kill yourselves getting here ok, drive safely, a few extra minutes isn’t going to hurt!”

“ok, we’ll be there really soon, we’re just getting into the car now.”

She said goodbye and hung the phone up looking anxiously over to Aden “He’s asking for us” she exclaimed tears brimming her eyes.

“it’s alright babe” he soothed pulling her into him and wrapping his arms around her shoulders

“it’s just so hard Aden! Seeing our baby made me so happy but now….god the thought of him being sick and asking for us and us not being there!”

“I know baby, come on” he placed a kiss on her head before moving away slightly and brought his hands to her face using his thumbs to wipe the tears from her cheeks “Lets go home and show him this” he pulled the picture from the ultrasound from Belle’s bag “I reckon the thought of a little brother or sister might cheer him up a bit”

When they reached home Belle was out of the car before Aden had even brought it to a complete stop. By the time he made it into the apartment she was already on the couch with Beau in her lap his arms wrapped tightly around her neck. He pushed the door closed behind him and made his way over to join them flashing a grateful grin to Abi

“Hey squirt, you missed us huh?” he asked quietly running his hand down Beau’s back

Beau nodded in response before turning his head to look at him “I got sick on my power rangers doona daddy. I was too slow to tell aunt Abi”

“That’s alright buddy, we can get that all cleaned up, it doesn’t matter”

“Already on it” Abi called from the kitchen “It’ll be back with you in a few hours sweetie”

“Thanks Abs” Belle smiled at her over Beau’s head indicating that she was thanking her for more than just washing the doona

“My pleasure, I was thinking about heading over to the diner, I thought I could pick up something for dinner”

“sounds good” Belle replied “throw in some of Leah’s cake and I’ll officially love you forever”

“I’ll see what I can do” Abi grinned as she collected her bag “See you all in a bit”

“see you Abs” Aden called and Beau managed a tiny wave in her direction

“So baby, how are you feeling now?” Belle asked Beau as she manoeuvred him on her lap so that Aden could see him properly

“A little bit better I think” he answered quietly

“that’s good. Me and daddy have something very important to tell you sweetie, you think you are up to hearing all about it?”

“Is it about me being sick?” he asked worry clouding his tiny features

“No squirt, you don’t need to worry about that” Aden answered as he took hold of Beau’s hand

“ok then, I feel ready for listening” he sat up a little straighter as his eyes flicked back and forth between his parents

Belle smiled as she ran a hand down his cheek then looked to Aden who nodded his head in encouragement

She took a deep breath as she thought of the best way to tell Beau the news, suddenly realising that this was going to be harder than she thought.

“Do you remember when we were looking at pictures and you saw one of me with a really big tummy?”

“When I was growing in there?” Beau asked

“Yeah, that’s right” she replied with a grin “Well the thing is, I’ve got another baby growing in my tummy now munchkin.”

His eyes travelled down her body as he moved away slightly so he could see her stomach

“but your tummy isn’t big” he said looking confused

“Not yet because the baby is still only very small but it’s going to grow much bigger”

He was silent for a moment as his parents watched him process the news he’d just been given

“Is it because I’m sick?” he whispered so quietly they had to strain to hear him

“What baby?” Belle asked unsure if she had heard him right

“Are you growing a new baby because I’m sick and you want a little boy who isn’t sick?” Beau’s lip began to tremble as he asked the question

“No! Beau no, absolutely not” Belle cried his words piercing her heart like an arrow

“Mate! Don’t ever think that” Aden said squeezing Beau’s hand gently “mommy and I love you more than anything in the world and we will never ever try to replace you. We couldn’t replace you squirt!”

“Why is mommy growing another baby then?” Beau asked

“Ok mate, you know how you have heaps of power rangers right?” Beau nodded his head so Aden continued “And you love all of those power rangers and you have lots and lots of fun playing with them don’t you?”

“Yes” Beau answered

“Remember when you started school and Abi bought you a new power ranger?”

“The yellow one?”

“Yeah the yellow one. Well that was really great wasn’t it because now you have one more power ranger to love, and you don’t love your other power rangers any less do you?”

“No daddy I still love all of them lots and lots.”

“And now your power rangers set is complete and you can have even more fun with them” Belle added

“Do you see what we’re getting at Beau? You make mommy and I so happy and we love you so much and now we’ve made a new baby that we are going to love just as much as we love you but that doesn’t mean for a second that we’ll love you any less.”

“daddy’s right sweetheart, we wanted another beautiful baby just like you to make our family complete”

“I’ll be a big brother wont I?” Beau asked relaxing back into Belle’s arms

“That’s right” Belle answered the smile returning to her face “I reckon you’ll be the best big brother in the world”

“I think I will mommy.”

“Do you want to see a picture?” Belle asked

“of the baby?” once again confusion filled Beau’s big blue eyes “but I thought it was in your tummy mommy?”

“It is baby, we went to the hospital today and they have a special camera that can see inside mommy’s tummy”

Aden reached over and pulled the picture from Belle’s bag then moved so that he was closer to Belle as Beau stretched his legs over his lap

“Here you go” he held the picture so that Beau could see it

“That doesn’t look much like a baby, was the camera not working very good?” Beau said as he stared intently at the picture.

Belle and Aden both chuckled at his response to the picture

“It’s a bit fuzzy because there’s lots of other things going on in tummies too but look” Belle pulled Beau closer to her and pointed a finger at the picture, see this little bit here, that’s baby’s head and here” she trailed her finger along the picture “is baby’s back and here are the….”

“Baby’s feet?” Beau asked looking at her with wide eyes

“that’s right 2 gorgeous little feet just like it’s big brother” As Belle spoke Aden took hold of Beau’s toes and began to tickle them causing him to giggle and squirm around on Belle’s lap

“Daddy!” he exclaimed through his giggles “Stop! That’s ticklish”

“Yeah I know” Aden grinned lifting Beau’s foot to his lips and planting a kiss on the bottom of it before returning it to his lap.

“Is it a boy baby or a girl baby?” Beau asked once his laughter had subsided enough for him to talk

“We don’t know that yet, we’ll have to wait for the baby to arrive.” Belle answered

“Will that be a long time?”

“Quite a while, the baby needs to grow much bigger before it can come and meet us”

“That’s good that it’s a long time mommy cause then the medicine will have worked and the bad stuff will be gone from my blood and I wont be sick on the baby!”

“That is good sweetie” Belle whispered placing a kiss onto the top of his head.

They sat in silence for a moment all three of them focused on the picture Beau now had clutched in his hands

“Mommy?” Beau’s voice broke the silence

“Yes baby?”

“How did the baby get in your tummy?”

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully this'll be a tissue free chap!! can't think of anything in it that'll make you cry, it's kinda fluffy :D

Chapter 12

Later that afternoon Belle Aden and Beau were snuggled up on the couch together, Belle reading to Beau from a selection of books that he had stacked up next to them. She paused midway through a story when she heard a key turn in the lock. Seconds later Abi’s head peeped round the door.

“Look who I found” she called opening the door fully to reveal Irene standing behind her.

“Hey guys, I thought I’d call round and see how my favourite boy is doing” Irene said as she followed Abi into the apartment.

“Oh, I’m doing fine thanks Irene” Aden replied with a smile

“Daddy” Beau whispered “I think nana means me!”

“What!” Aden exclaimed “you mean I’m not nana’s favourite boy?”

“Not a chance” Irene laughed along with Beau as she walked over to the couch and dropped a kiss onto his head “Not when you’ve got this gorgeous little fella as competition! How you feeling sweetheart?” she asked Beau crouching down in front of him

“I’ve been a bit sick nana but I’m feeling not so sick anymore”

“Well lets hope it stays that way eh! Irene replied as she stood up and walked over to the other couch where she sat down.

“Actually Irene, I’m glad you came over” Belle said “We er…we have some news. Abs, you should come and hear this too” She called to Abi who was busy preparing drinks in the kitchen

“what’s going on” she asked walking over and taking a seat next to Irene .

Belle looked at Aden and the down to Beau .

“Baby do you want to tell nana and Abi our news?”

“can I mommy?” Beau asked wide eyed

“Go ahead sweetie”

Beau looked over at Irene and Abi making sure he had their undivided attention

“Daddy gave mommy a special kiss and now mommy has a baby growing in her tummy”

“I knew it!” Abi cried

“Oh my word!” Irene exclaimed at the same time

“Don’t worry nana “ Beau quickly said as he registered Irene’s shock “you wont get a baby from daddy’s kisses, or you Abi, it only works with mommies and daddies “

“That’s good to know” Irene laughed “Wow guys, I can’t believe this” she looked from Belle to Aden and back again, they looked happier than she’d seen in weeks

“You’re happy for us right?” Aden asked

“Luvvie, I’m thrilled for yous”

She jumped up from her seat and crossed the room leaning down to hug Belle and pressing a kiss to her cheek

“A bit of good news is just what you needed”

“This is so exciting” Abi squealed “How far along are you?”

“Eleven weeks” Belle answered

“You’ve kept this from us for eleven weeks!”

“Well we’ve known for maybe seven weeks” she looked to Aden who nodded his head in confirmation before she continued “but we wanted to make sure everything was ok before we told people”

“And everything is alright?” Irene questioned

“Everything is great” Belle replied

“Here” Aden handed Irene the picture from the ultrasound

“oh wow, would you look at that!”

“Let me see, let me see” Abi cried peering over Irene’s shoulder “Awwww look, so cute!” she continued “do you know if it’s a boy or a girl”

“The baby isn’t growed enough yet Abi so it can’t come out to tell us if it’s a boy or a girl” Beau explained

“Oh right, ok.” Abi grinned at him “What would you like it to be sweetie? A little brother or a little sister?”

“I think I’d like a brother best ‘cause then I can show him how to play power rangers but if it is a sister I wont mind too much.”

“You’re going to be the best big brother whatever eh squirt?” Aden said running a hand gently over Beau’s head

“I’ll try my bestest daddy”

Irene stayed for dinner and during the meal reassured Belle and Aden that she would be around to support them as much as possible. She helped to clean up despite protests from both Belle and Aden and then got ready to leave.

“You coming home with me darl?” She asked Abi who was staying at the beach house for the duration of her stay in summer bay

“Actually” Abi replied pushing her phone back into her pocket “that was Geoff asking if I wanted to meet him for drinks at the surf club so..”

“Geoff eh?” Belle winked at Abi with a grin “You sure there’s nothing going on between you two?”

“Belle you’ve been asking that question for like five years!” Abi replied

“Yeah” Aden added “and you always get the same answer”

“It’s just that you two are so….”

“Perfect for each other” Abi completed Belle’s sentence with a roll of her eyes “We are just friends and that is how it’s going to stay”

“I think it’s about time you gave up with it babe, it aint ever gonna happen” Aden suggested as he wrapped his arm around his wife’s shoulders

“I’ll never stop hoping” she grinned “At least not whilst they are both single”

Abi shook her head as she grinned back “you’ll be hoping forever then! Irene can you drop me at the club on your way past?”

“Course I can darl, you ready to go now?”

“when you are.” Abi answered “See you two tomorrow” she kissed her fingertips and waved them in Belle and Aden’s direction “kiss Beau for me”

“Yeah me too” Irene said as she walked towards the door “Don’t wanna risk waking him up”

“We will” Aden replied “Hey I’ll go babe” he said pulling Belle to sit back down when she made to stand up. He stood up himself and followed Irene and Abi to the door. They said their goodbyes and he closed the door behind them before heading into the kitchen. He took a bottle of beer from the fridge and poured Belle a glass of juice then returned to the lounge slumping back onto the couch next to Belle.

“Thank you” she took the glass from him and leant over to place it on the coffee table in front of them. She then turned around back to him and took his face between her hands as she placed a long gentle kiss against his lips

“Mmmmm” he murmured “what was that for?”

“I told you, to thank you” she replied

“for bringing you juice?”

“Well yes but not just for that. You are so…” she paused as she tried to think of the best word

“so….?”

“If I say amazing are you going to get all big headed on me? She asked running a hand playfully over his hair

“yeah, it’s highly likely” he grinned

Laughing Belle shook her head and then drew him back into another kiss “I’ll just have to live with it then because you are amazing Aden. I love you so much.”

“I love you too sweetheart and you are pretty amazing yourself. In fact I’m kind of in awe of you babe”

“why?” Belle asked clearly shocked at his declaration

“Why? Are you kidding me?” he raised a hand to gently push her hair behind her ear “Belle, you are looking after our little boy so brilliantly. You are there for him whenever he needs you, you know exactly what he needs and how to make him feel better. You are growing our new baby” he smiled as his hand lowered and came to rest on her stomach “You are keeping him or her safe and healthy. You are still looking after me and fussing around over everyone in the family. On top of all of that you are still managing the odd story for the paper! I don’t know how you do it babe”

“You make me sound like some kind of wonder woman”

“Just calling it as I see it” Aden replied

“ok, but I can only do those things with you by my side supporting me. If you weren’t here Aden I’d crumble, I know I would.”

“Well like I’ve said a million times before, you’ll never have to find out because I’m not going anywhere. We’re together forever right?”

“forever” Belle replied as she leant forward and her lips met his once again.

The next day whilst Aden was at work Beau convinced Belle that he was feeling well enough to visit the diner.

“Young Beau!” Colleen cried as they sat down at a table “Such a brave little soldier” she bustled over to them and patted him on the cheek “what can auntie Colleen get you?”

He shrugged his shoulders as he looked shyly towards Belle

“We haven’t decided yet” Belle answered for him “We’ll give you a shout when we’re ready”

“ok dear” Colleen replied giving Beau’s cheek one last pat before leaving the table muttering as she left

“Such a shame, and him so young”

“Hey baby” Belle said trying to distract Beau from what Colleen was saying “You want some of Leah’s cake? It says on the board they have chocolate!” since the chemo had began Beaus appetite had decreased dramatically so Belle had dropped all rules regarding cake, happy for him to just eat something.

Beau smiled and nodded his head “I like Leah’s chocolate cake the best, can I have milkshake too?”

“you can indeed munchkin” Belle answered “in fact mommy might just join you, I haven’t had one of nana’s milkshakes in ages”

“will you get strawberry or chocolate mommy?”

“Oooo, that’s a tough decision! What do you think?”

“I think you should get strawberry and I can get chocolate and then we can share”

“that is a very good idea, you are quite the clever one aren’t you?” She grinned

“just like my daddy” He answered with a grin back at her

“oh you are just like your daddy” she replied with a chuckle. She caught Roman’s eye as he came out of the kitchen with an order for another table and gestured for him to come over not wanting to deal with Colleen’s muttering again. He handed the plates over to the waiting customers then made his way over to their table

“Well if it isn’t my favourite customer! How are you doing little man?”

“I’m good granddad, can I have a chocolate milkshake and some of Leah’s chocolate cake?”

“You certainly can” Roman replied taking a pad from the pocket of his apron and writing down Beaus order “And what about you Belle?”

“Mommy wants strawberry milkshake and… do you want cake too mommy?”

“I suppose I could manage a slice” she replied with a grin

“If you are sure you can force yourself” Roman chuckled as he wrote down her order “I’ll be back in two ticks”

He went to leave the table but Beau reached out a hand and tugged on his apron

“Granddad you didn’t ask what the baby wants”

Roman’s face broke into a huge grin as he looked at Belle who matched it

“I’m very sorry, what does baby want?” he pulled his pad out and stood with his pen poised above it

“Erm…..Mommy, what does the baby like to eat?”

Belle laughed before answering “Sweetie the baby just eats what mommy eats”

“Well then if you have to share then you need a big big slice of cake” Beau looked to Roman who bit back a laugh before making a note on his pad “A big slice of cake for Belle it is” he winked at her before leaving the table and heading back into the kitchen

Belle’s phone began to ring as he walked away

“It’s your daddy” she told Beau as she looked down at the caller ID

“can I talk?”

“Sure” she pushed the button to connect the call and then handed the phone to Beau

“Hello Gorgeous”

Beau giggled before answering “Hello daddy”

“Hey squirt, what are you doing with mommy’s phone?”

“I wanted to talk to you” Beau answered simply

“That’s good to hear son” Aden replied as his heart swelled with love and pride “How are you feeling today? Better yeah?”

“I don’t feel sick, just a little bit worn out but I’m going to have some of Leah’s chocolate cake and that will give me some…some…erm…”

“Energy” Aden guessed

“Yeah nergy, I’m having chocolate milkshake too”

“You are just like your mommy squirt” Aden chuckled

“But mommy says I’m just like you” Beau replied confusion filling his big blue eyes

“and why did she say that?” Aden asked intrigued

“because mommy said I was clever and I said just like daddy and she said you are just like your daddy” Beau explained

“Well she’s not wrong” Aden chuckled again “you get your cleverness from me and your love of chocolate from mommy”

“So I’m just like both of you” Beau clarified

“The perfect mixture mate”

“Are you nearly finished work now daddy?”

“I am squirt, that’s why I was calling, to tell you and mommy to wait there for me.”

“Ok, we will. I’ll try and save you some of my cake but I don’t think there will be milkshake left ‘cause me and mommy are sharing and she takes big drinks”

“She does doesn’t she! Don’t worry mate, I can just order my own when I get there. You think you can remember to tell mommy that I’m coming or shall I speak to her”

“I’ll member daddy”

“Good man, can you tell her I love her too?”

Beau giggled before answering “Yes I can say that”

“Ok buddy, I’ve gotta go, love you”

“Love you too daddy, bye.”

“Bye squirt”

Beau handed the phone back to Belle who looked at the display with wide eyes

“He’s gone! Didn’t wanna talk to me huh?”

“Nope” Beau chuckled “I have to tell you”

“What do you have to tell me then?” Belle laughed

“that Daddy is going to come here ‘cause he’s finished with his work”

“Anything else?”

Beau nodded “he said he loves you” he giggled

“He’s a big softy your daddy” Belle giggled along with Beau and they were still laughing a few moments later when they were interrupted by Geoff

“What’s so funny?” he asked as he pulled out a chair to sit down next to them

“Just laughing over what a softy your daddy is aren’t we munchkin”

Beau nodded as Geoff started to laugh too

“Who would have thought the Aden Jefferies we used to know would turn into such a pushover eh?”

“Tell me about it” Belle grinned “How come you aren’t at school?”

“No appointments this arvo so thought I’d come and get a bit of peace in here before heading home”

“Things a little noisy? Abi’s not getting in the way is she?”

“Meg has started recorder lessons!” Geoff explained “And Abi went home this morning”

“Really? I thought she was staying till the weekend” Belle replied a hint of worry colouring her words

“She said her work called and asked if she could go back early”

“Oh right, ok. I’m surprised she didn’t call to let me know”

“She did leave really early” Geoff defended Abi “I’m sure she will later”

Before Belle could reply Roman arrived at the table with her and Beau’s order

“Thank you granddad” Beau smiled sweetly up at Roman as he placed a slice of cake and a glass of milkshake in front of him.

“You are welcome mate. Geoff, what can I get you?”

“Erm… just a juice and…..”

“you should have some cake uncle Geoff it’s yummy”

Geoff looked over at Beau who already had chocolate smeared around his lips and a huge smile on his face

“cake it is then” he turned to Roman “But not a slice that big” he nodded over to Belle’s plate however she was oblivious to his look as she tucked into the cake with as much enthusiasm as Beau causing both Geoff and Roman to laugh.

“What?” she asked a few moments later when she looked up to find them both laughing at her

“nothing” Geoff replied

“Yeah, what he said” Roman added before heading back into the kitchen

“Well I am eating for two” Belle said nonchalantly before returning to her cake

Geoff nodded as he began to fiddle with a straw that was on the table “So Beau, how are…..Wait!! Eating for two? You mean…?”

“yep” Belle smiled “I’m pregnant”

“That means there is a baby in her tummy” Beau explained helpfully

“Yeah! Wow Belle, that’s awesome news”

“We think so don’t we munchkin” she asked Beau who, owing to the large piece of cake he had just placed into his mouth nodded in answer.

For the next half an hour they chatted about Belle’s pregnancy and how things were going with Beau’s treatment.

By the time Aden arrived Beau had moved onto Belle’s lap as tiredness overcame him and was almost asleep.

“Hey mate, I hear congratulations are in order” Geoff said standing up to shake Aden’s hand as he approached the table

“Yeah cheers” Aden replied with a grin “Hi babe” he leant down and placed a quick kiss on Belle’s lips and then one onto Beau’s head “he ok?” he ran his finger tenderly down Beau’s cheek

“Just tired” Belle told him

“I can eat at home if you wanna get him back” Aden suggested

“Yeah, maybe” Belle agreed as Beau shifted against her

She was just about to hand Beau over to Aden before standing up when Roman came over

“Hi” he patted Aden on the shoulder “listen mate, before you go can you sit down a tic, there’s something I need to talk to you and Belle about.”

Hands up who wants a special kiss from Aden :lol:

Chapter 13

“Babe, which box do these need to go in?” Aden walked into the lounge waving two photograph frames in Belle’s direction

“Er, I don’t know Aden. Maybe the box that says photographs?!”

“Ok, no need to be sarky” he grumbled heading back into their room to find the correct box

Belle sat on the couch next to Beau until he fell asleep, she tucked a blanket around him and placed a kiss onto his temple before following Aden into the bedroom.

“sorry” she whispered as she walked up to Aden and wrapped her arms around his waist from behind stretching up slightly so she could rest her chin on his shoulder

“What for babe?” Aden stopped what he was doing and turned around in her arms wrapping his around her shoulders

“For being snappy! It’s just that we’ve had four weeks to get this all sorted yet here we are the day before we move running around like headless chickens!”

“Hey, don’t worry about it, we’ll get it all done. Geoff and Abi will be here soon to help out. You just need to look after yourself and Beau and this little one” he lowered his hand and brought it to rest against her noticeable bump

“Aden there’s so much to do, I’m not just gonna sit around and…”

“That’s exactly what you are going to do Belle!”

“But….” Before Belle could continue Aden pressed his lips against hers and all thoughts about arguing with him flew from her mind.

After a few moments Belle felt Aden’s lips curve into a smile against hers

“what?” she asked pulling away slightly as he began to chuckle

“10 bucks says Geoff knocks the door before I get these undone” he returned his lips to hers as his fingers began to work on the buttons of her shirt style dress. They both burst into laughter when the door knocked before Aden’s fingers had reached the level of her waist

“I’ll get it shall I?” He chuckled planting a quick final kiss against her lips before making his way to answer the door “Geoff, perfect timing as always mate come on in”

“Hi, what? I don‘t…you knew I was coming over didn‘t you?”

“Geoff just ignore him” Belle called as she entered the lounge “I usually do”

“Ah right, ignoring me before Geoff knocked were you?” Aden asked a cheeky grin spreading across his face

“Should I just go and come back later?” Geoff suggested as Abi walked through the door struggling to carry a selection of empty boxes

“Don’t worry about me Geoff, I’m fine with all these boxes really”

“Oh yeah, sorry Abs, I forgot about those” Geoff took the boxes from her and placed them onto the floor “so what’s left to do?”

“Erm…..” Belle watched as Geoff and Abi surveyed the surrounding area which looked much the same as it had done for the past five years

“Everything from the looks of it” Abi answered for them

“Yeah, pretty much” Aden nodded his head. The bedrooms are more or less done though!”

“Well that’s a start” Geoff stated tactfully

Abi was slightly less diplomatic “It’s hardly a start Geoff, we’re going to be up all night doing this! It’s not like you haven’t had notice you two!”

“Yeah but we’ve hardly been sitting around doing nothing Abi” Belle tried to defend herself and Aden

“Yeah I realise that” Abi replied “But how long has it been since your chat with Roman? 4 weeks?”

Flashback

“….there’s something I need to talk to you and Belle about” Roman pulled out a chair and gestured for Aden to sit on it

“ok” Aden followed his instructions and sat down looking to Belle with his eyebrows raised in question.

She shrugged her shoulders and watched as Roman went to grab a chair from another table

“Here Roman” Geoff stopped him as he stood up “I was just about to leave so you can have my seat”

“You don’t have to go Geoff, you can hear this too” Roman quickly told him

“Nah, that’s alright, thanks anyway but I better head home. I’ll see you all later, bye guys”

They all said goodbye before Belle and Aden returned their glances to Roman

“So…?” Aden dragged the word out

“Ok guys, I, well we wanted you to be the first to know”

Belle gasped as a smile lit up her face “You and Leah?”

“Yeah” Roman smiled “I asked her to marry me last night and she said yes!”

“Oh wow!! Roman that’s fantastic, come here” Belle waved him over as she couldn’t move due to Beau sleeping on her lap. She reached up and wrapped the arm that wasn’t supporting Beau around his neck in a hug and placed a kiss on his cheek

“Cheers Belle. Aden, what do you think?”

“I….Wow are you sure you aren’t rushing into this?” he asked his face serious “I mean you’ve only been together what? 6 years?” He couldn’t keep the grin from his lips any longer

“hey!” Roman laughed “A lot happened in those 6 years, we weren’t even together the whole time”

“Yeah I know mate, I’m really pleased for you” Aden reached out a hand for Romans and when he took it pulled him into a hug “You both deserve to be happy”

“cheers, we really are”

“So when’s the big day?” Belle asked

“We haven’t really got that far yet” Roman answered “But we have decided that I should move in with her as soon as”

“Again, are you sure you aren’t rushing things?” Aden laughed

“Aden!” Belle scolded

“He knows I’m just kidding”

“Yeah, I do. The thing is guys, I was thinking rather than putting the house on the market….well you are gonna need a bigger place with the little one on the way so I thought that I’d offer you first refusal”

“Oh my god! Seriously?” Belle cried

“Yeah, I mean you shouldn’t have any trouble getting a mortgage” Roman continued

“We wont” Aden agreed “when we first started talking about trying for another baby I went to speak to someone at the bank and they said there’d be no problem. This is great Roman, really!”

“So I take it it’s a yes then?” Roman checked

“Absolutely” Belle cried before lowering her voice to almost a whisper when Beau stirred in her arms “It’s a definite one hundred percent yes right babe?”

She checked with Aden

“Hell yeah!”

End flashback

It was close to midnight before Abi and Geoff left the apartment. They, along with Aden, had managed to get everything packed into boxes, ready to move the next day.

Beau was the first to wake the day of the move and after glancing into the lounge tiptoed into his parents bedroom climbing onto the bed in-between them.

“Mommy” he whispered into her ear as he shook her arm “Mommy”

“Huh! What is it baby? You ok?” Belle asked sleepily rubbing her eyes in order to coax them open

“I’m ok mommy but something bad has happened”

Belle’s eye’s shot open and she sat up abruptly and faced him properly hitting Aden to wake him as she did so

“What Beau, what’s happened?” she took his face between her hands

“What?” Aden jumped awake at Belle’s touch and was sitting up before his eyes were open “What’s going on?”

“Something bad has happened” Beau repeated “All our things are gone!”

Aden let out a sigh of relief followed by a chuckle as he flopped back down onto the bed

Belle giggled as she lowered her hands to Beaus waist and tickled him gently

“The things aren’t gone sweetie, they are just packed away remember? We’re moving to our new house today”

“granddads house?” Beau asked wriggling away from Belle’s fingers and snuggling up to Aden who threw an arm lazily around him

“Yep that’s right”

“And granddad is going to live with Leah and VJ?”

“uh huh” Belle replied

“Who’s going to live in this house then? Is another little boy going to have my room?” Beau asked a slight hint of sadness colouring his words

“We don’t know yet, but I’m sure who ever it is will love your room just as much as you did.” Belle replied running a hand gently down his cheek

“And I happen to know squirt that granddad has been very busy working on a surprise in your new room” Aden told Beau

“Really? What kind of surprise daddy?”

“Now if I told you it wouldn’t be a surprise would it?”

“Just a little clue please” Beau dragged out the last word whilst flashing the biggest grin he could manage at Aden

“No way you little monkey, I’m not fallin for that!” He pulled Beau closer to him and with his free hand began to tickle him

“stop tickling” Beau managed to cry through his giggles

“You gonna stop asking about the surprise?” Aden asked with a grin, his hand still but hovering inches from Beau’s side

“Yep” Beau nodded his head, laughter still bubbling over his lips

“Good” Aden laughed “Cause granddad would be grumpy if I told you and we don’t want him to be grumpy do we?”

“No because he’s strongerer than you daddy ‘cause he was a soldier”

Belle let out a loud burst of laughter “Ouch babe”

“Wow” Aden shook his head as Belle and Beau continued to laugh “ I can’t say that doesn’t hurt squirt”

“Don’t worry daddy” Beau replied wrapping his arms around Aden’s neck and planting a sweet kiss against his cheek “You are strong enough for me”

Once they were showered and dressed Aden began to load his car whilst Belle drove Beau to Rachel’s house where he was spending the day.

“Hello you two” Tony greeted them at the door

“Hi Tony, where’s Emme?” Beau asked as he entered the house

“Erm I think her and Rach are out the back doing some painting or something”

“Can I go through please Tony?”

“Of course you can mate”

Beau headed happily in the direction of the kitchen until a cough from Belle made him pause

“Er excuse me mister! Don’t I get a goodbye?”

“Oops! Sorry mommy!” He turned around and quickly walked back into her open arms

“I’ll let you off if I get a huge kiss” Belle replied as she lifted him up

“Deal” Beau laughed as he pressed a big kiss against Belle’s lips

“Thanks baby. Right you gonna be ok?”

“Yep, I’m good mommy”

“And you know to tell Tony or Rach if you are feeling sick or tired?”

“Yes I know” Beau replied

“Good ‘cause they can call and daddy or I can be here in just a few minutes to collect you if you need us”

“Ok Mommy, can I go play now?”

“Sure baby, off you go” she placed him back onto the floor “I love you”

“Love you too” He grinned back at her over his shoulder as he disappeared into the kitchen

“Right Tony, he should be ok, his chemo was 5 days ago so he shouldn‘t be sick anymore but he was coughing a bit during the night so….”

“Belle don’t worry, Rach is a doctor remember” Tony said resting his hand reassuringly on her arm

“Yeah I know but…”

“Hey Belle I get it don’t worry”

“Thanks Tony, and thanks for having him!”

“It’s our pleasure, now you get a wriggle on, those boxes aren’t going to unpack themselves”

“Oh if Aden had his way I wouldn’t be unpacking them either” Belle replied resting her hand on her stomach

“Ah” Tony nodded “Being a bit protective is he? Must be a Jefferies thing” he laughed

“Yeah must be” Belle grinned back “Right I’m gonna shoot, call if he ……”

“Bye Belle” Tony gently pushed her towards the door

“Yeah” She laughed “Bye”

As all the main pieces of furniture were part of the rental with the apartment and Roman was leaving all his for them they were able to move using just their cars.

Aden and Geoff drove back and forth and carried all of the boxes into the house refusing to let either Belle or Abi lift them. They busied themselves emptying the boxes as they arrived although Abi, under instructions from Aden insisted that Belle lift nothing heavier than a few pieces of cutlery.

The day went quickly and by 2.00pm Aden and Geoff arrived back at the house with the last of the boxes.

“That’s the lot babe” Aden told Belle when he placed the final box onto the floor in the lounge “Just gotta unpack it all now!”

“Yeah well if you’d let me….”

“Are we having this discussion again? Really?”

“Aden!”

“Belle, babe, the last thing I need right now is for something to happen to you or the bub ok so please just let me have this yeah”

“Argh!” Belle cried although she had a smile on her face “Ok ok you win! I’ll take it easy”

“good! Now come here and give me a kiss”

“And why would I do that?” she asked as she sauntered over to him

“Because” he grinned wrapping his arms around her waist as soon as she was close enough to him “This is our first moment together in our new home and I think it’s only right that we mark that by doing this” he head lowered towards hers as she snaked her hands around his neck threading her fingers into his hair as their lips joined. They were still locked together a few moments later when Geoff came down the stairs

“Erm” he cleared his throat to get their attention “Sorry guys but Belle your bag is ringing” he handed Belle the bag he had carried from upstairs but the phone had ceased ringing before he reached her. Seconds later a ringing sounded again this time coming from Aden’s pocket

“Who is it?” Belle asked

“Tony” He replied quickly connecting the call and holding the phone to his ear “Hey Tony what’s up?”

Belle not being able to hear Tony had to rely on Aden’s replies to find out what was going on and it was clear almost instantly that something was wrong. A ball of dread settled in her stomach at Aden’s words

“How high?……Since when?……..Rachel’s worried!…….we’re on our way”

“What? What is it? What’s wrong with Beau?” she flung questions at Aden as soon as he ended the call

“He’s developed a fever, Rach is concerned about how high it is and how quickly it’s come on. She wants to take him into the hospital”

“Oh my god” Belle stumbled into Aden’s arms “Let’s go”

“Ok babe, take it easy” he held onto her around her waist whilst looking over at Geoff

“Come on, I’ll drive” Geoff insisted already collecting Aden’s car keys from the shelf

“Drive where? What’s going on?” Abi asked coming down the stairs. She only had to look at Belle and Aden to know the answer “Oh no! Beau! What are we waiting for, let’s go”

Chapter 14

Geoff drove quicker than he had ever driven before ensuring they arrived at Rachel and Tony’s minutes after Aden had ended the call from Tony. Aden and Belle flew out of the car and into the house

“Beau baby, mommy’s here” Belle cried as she rushed over to the couch where Beau was lying and crouched down next to him.

“What’s going on Rach?” Aden asked

“He was great all morning” Rachel explained “Then just before lunch he said he was feeling tired and asked if he could lie down, he fell asleep really quickly but he started getting restless. I took his temperature and it was higher than I would like so I’ve given him some paracetamol but it doesn’t seem to be bringing it down.”

“So we need to take him to hospital yeah?” Aden checked

“Yeah I think so. He’s probably got an infection of some sort. We can get him onto antibiotics at the hospital.”

“ok, let’s go” Belle said running a hand over Beaus head.

He opened his eyes and looked at her but a second later they rolled backwards

“Beau!” Belle screamed as his tiny body began to twitch uncontrollably under her hands

“Oh god!” Aden cried “Rach!”

Belle was sobbing and holding onto Beau’s arms to try and control the spasms that were raging through his delicate frame

“Belle sweetie, you need to let go of him” Rachel took hold of Belle’s shoulders and tried to manoeuvre her away from Beau “Aden”

Understanding what Rachel was asking of him instantly, Aden stepped forward and leant down wrapping his arms around Belle. He physically removed her hands from Beau then pulled her away “Alright babe” he whispered into her ear as his own tears fell onto her shoulder

Rachel was crouching down next to Beau and with her eyes still fixed on him she spoke to Aden and Belle “Guys I know this looks very scary but I’m pretty sure it’s just a febrile convulsion ok? Just his bodies way of reacting to the high temperature. We just need to let him ride it out” by the time she had stopped speaking Beau was still again “there we go, it’s ok sweetie” she whispered to Beau

“baby, we’re here” Belle called as she struggled against Aden’s firm hold to get to him.

It was killing Aden to hold her back but he knew that Rachel knew what to do for the best

“ok Belle, you can come sit with him now. I think we should call an ambulance to be on the safe side”

“Already done it” Tony answered

Rachel thanked him as she moved to allow Belle and Aden to get close to their son. Belle knelt on the floor in front of him, immediately leaning into him and pressing gentle kisses to his forehead. Aden perched on the couch and ran his hand tenderly along his back.

“hey squirt” he whispered however Beau was unresponsive “he’s really out of it” he looked up to Rachel for reassurance

“That’s perfectly normal, please try not to worry too much.”

Aden nodded and then returned his attention back to Beau.

Geoff and Abi, who had entered the house close behind Belle and Aden, hovered by the door. Abi had tears streaming down her cheeks, Geoff comfortingly wrapped an arm around her shoulder.

Tony went to check on Emme but the rest of the assembled adults remained in the same positions until the ambulance crew arrived a short while later. Aden and Belle spent the whole time whispering reassurances to Beau and each other.

When they arrived at the hospital the ambulance crew wheeled Beau into a side room followed quickly by Belle and Aden. Rachel, who had travelled to the hospital in the car with Geoff and Abi arrived moments after them insisting to the doctor on duty that she would deal with the case.

Aden gently pulled Belle away from their son once again so that Rachel could see to him. She took blood from the central line and gave him more medication to lower his temperature.

“I’ll rush these bloods through so we’ll know what we are dealing with as soon as possible ok guys”

“Thanks Rach” Aden managed to reply. Belle was clinging to him, tears streaming down her pale cheeks “Shhh baby, it’s ok” he whispered to her

“How is it ok Aden?” she sobbed “look at our baby! Look at him!”

“I know sweetheart” his gaze flitted from Belle to his son who was still lying unresponsive on the bed as Rachel helped a nurse put him into a hospital gown

“ok, you can come and sit with him now”

Belle was at the side of the bed before Rachel had finished talking

“Mommy’s here baby, and daddy too. Look, here he is” Belle paused as Aden rounded the bed and perched on the edge opposite Belle “you gonna open your eyes and look at daddy baby?” tears dripped from Belle’s nose and landed on Beau’s face as she leant over him pressing kisses to his cheeks and forehead. He stirred slightly but his eyes remained closed.

“come on squirt, where’s them big baby blues huh?” Aden encouraged

“I’m sure he’ll wake up soon guys” Rachel tried to reassure them “I’ll be back soon ok, just going to take these for testing” she picked up the tray containing the samples she had took and went to walk out of the room

“Rach, would you let Geoff and Abi know Beau’s ….that he‘s settled” Belle asked

“Sure, shall I send them in?”

Belle looked to Aden who nodded and then returned her glance to Rachel “Yeah, please. Oh and thanks Rach!”

“You’re welcome sweetie” Rachel replied before leaving the room

Turning her attention back to Beau, Belle ran the back of her fingers slowly down his cheek. His nose twitched at the tickling sensation it caused and slowly his eyes opened

“Mommy?” his voice was croaky and had his lips not moved Belle would have thought she was imagining the sound

“Hey baby, I‘m here”

“Where am I?” he asked

“you’re at the hospital mate” Aden answered as Belle had succumbed to tears once again “you got a bit sick at Tony and Rachel’s remember?”

Beau shook his head as his eyelids began to droop

“Buddy, go back to sleep. You’re nice and safe ok, me and mommy will be right here.” Aden ran a hand gently over his head as he spoke and leant forwards to place a kiss against his temple. As his lips made contact Beaus eyes closed. “that’s it baby” he whispered “sleep tight”

“He’s ok isn’t he?” Belle glanced up at him through her eyelashes that were heavy with tears

“babe, he’s fine. He just needs to rest to let his body recover. Hey, come here” he stood up from the bed and rounded it so he was standing in front of her. He took hold of her hands and gently pulled her into his body before wrapping his arms tightly around her shoulders. She gratefully fell into his embrace and spent a few moments crying into his chest as he whispered soothing words into her ear and placed delicate kisses into her hair.

“Hey guys, how is he?” Abi asked as her and Geoff entered the room

“sleeping” Belle replied pulling back slightly from Aden but remaining wrapped in his arms “Rachel has taken some blood and they are running some tests”

“I hope she said please and thank you!” Geoff said managing to raise a small smile from both Belle and Aden

“yeah, but I don’t think he would have noticed either way!” Aden replied

“Has he woken up at all?” Abi asked

“Briefly” Aden answered “He just asked for Belle and then asked where he was before he fell back to sleep again”

“Poor little guy” Abi whispered “He’s been through so much already!”

“yeah he has” Belle replied sadly turning in Aden’s arms so she was facing Beau again “But you’re a little fighter aren’t you baby?” she continued, running her hand down his back causing him to shift slightly in his sleep

“Wonder who he gets that from eh Aden?” Geoff commented with a wink

“no idea mate” Aden laughed

“Right if we are going to be here for a while we might as well make ourselves comfy” Abi pulled a chair closer to Beau’s bed and offered it to Belle who sat down after pulling it even closer to the bed “Geoff?”

“Hmm?” Geoff answered

“Are you going to get more chairs for you and Aden, there’s only one more here” Abi explained pulling the only other chair in the room over and sitting down on it

“Oh right yeah, I’ll just…” He made to leave the room but paused when Aden spoke

“Don’t worry about one for me, just get one for yourself”

“Sure?”

“Yeah, sure” Aden replied as he hopped up onto Beau’s bed.

“wont you get in trouble for that?” Abi nodded at Aden

“For being on here?” Aden asked as he made himself comfortable next to Beau resting an arm protectively over him “Nah friends in high places”

“Cool. Damn, I should have told Geoff to get some coffees whilst he was out there”

“Without sounding too much like my wife are you sure there’s nothing going on between you two Abs? He certainly seems….” Aden paused to think of the correct word

“Under her thumb?” Belle suggested “Wrapped around her little finger?”

“Yeah!” Aden replied with a grin

“There’s nothing going on!” Abi insisted

“Going on with what?” Geoff asked as he returned carrying a chair

“nothing!” Abi replied sternly before either Belle or Aden got the chance to answer

“ok” Geoff replied as he sat down “so how long till we know what’s going on?”

“Rachel said she was going to hurry the results through” Belle told him

“But she thinks it’s just an infection right?”

“Yeah, they did say that he was likely to pick things up. The chemo makes his white blood cell levels drop which can cause infection so….”

“man, it sucks that the stuff that is making him better actually makes him sicker if you know what I mean!”

“yeah I know Geoff” Belle leant over Abi and squeezed his hand “it does suck but he is fighting it and he will get better so that’s all we’re focusing on right babe?”

“absolutely” Aden agreed

They continued to chat until Rachel came back an hour or so later with Beau’s results

“So is it what you thought?” Aden asked

“Yeah, he’s got an infection” Rachel nodded “We’ll start him on antibiotics right away and I’m pretty sure that he’ll be right as rain in a few days”

Aden and Belle both let out big sighs of relief

“What about the convulsion though?” Belle asked “could that happen again?”

“like I said, the convulsion seemed to be caused by his high temperature, if we keep that down then there is no reason to think he’ll have another one”

“That’s a relief! Thanks so much Rachel”

“It’s no problem. Now, lets get these antibiotics into him”

Abi and Geoff moved so that she could set up a drip and insert it into his central line. Beau continued to sleep through all the fussing over him and Aden checked once again that this was normal, Rachel reassuring him that it was. When she was done she excused herself leaving the five of them alone again.

“Looks like he’s here for the night at least” Abi said

“Yeah, so much for our first night in our new house! Babe, you should call Roman, he’s supposed to be coming to the house to show Beau his surprise”

“Mmm yeah” Aden agreed “I’ll call Irene too, she’ll wanna know”

“Look, whilst he’s asleep why don’t you let Geoff and I watch him for a bit. You can go home, get some things together and call everyone who needs to know” Abi suggested

“Nah, I promised him we’d be here” Aden replied

“You heard Rach Aden, she said he’d more than likely sleep right through” Geoff added “He wont even know your gone”

“And if he wakes up?” Belle asked

“Then we’ll call”

“No, I can’t risk it” Belle insisted “We promised. Would you guys go and pick up some stuff for us instead?”

“Ok” Abi agreed “but first you two at least go and get a coffee or something. You are going to be here all night, you need to get out of this room a bit”

“babe?” Aden looked to Belle to decide

“You’ll come and get us if he stirs?”

“if he moves an inch” Abi agreed

“We’ll be just down the hall” Belle informed them as Aden slid off the bed and took hold of her hand “Anything hap…”

“We’ll come and find you” Abi insisted as she moved over into the chair Belle had just vacated “Now go”

They both leant over the bed and kissed Beau before they walked hand in hand towards the hospital cafeteria. Belle pulled Aden to a stop before they reached their destination.

“I just need to nip in here” she nodded towards the ladies toilets as she let go of his hand

“I’ll wait here then” he grinned leaning back against the wall opposite.

Whilst he was waiting he began to read the posters that were dotted around the wall. He had just read the last one when he heard the door behind him open. He was about to make a witty remark about how long she had taken when he turned around but the words froze on his tongue when he spotted Belle. The colour which had just about returned to her cheeks had once again gone and her eyes were filled with unshed tears.

“Sweetheart, what is it” he was at her side in two strides

“Aden I …..I’m bleeding”

This is gonna be the last update for a few weeks as off on my hols :D so enjoy!

Chapter 15

“Oh my god! Alright babe, let’s….”

“Aden I can’t lose this baby, I can’t” Belle began to sob interrupting him

“Shhh, it’s alright! It’ll be alright” as he held her in his arms he looked around to see if he could spot somebody who could help.

“Julie” he called to the nurse who was walking along the other end of the corridor

“everything ok?” she asked walking towards them

“Not really! Belle’s bleeding” Aden explained “She’s pregnant” he added as an afterthought not sure if the nurse knew or not.

“OK, let’s get you over to the maternity department, who’s your doctor?”

“Simpson” Aden answered “Doctor Simpson”

“I’ve just seen her so I know she’s on duty today” Julie told them “come on”

They began to make their way to find the doctor when Aden heard his name being called

“Guy’s wait up. Beau’s stirring” Abi called as she made her way towards them

Aden felt Belle stiffen under his arm as they came to a standstill.

“What’s going on?” Abi asked noticing the state Belle was in

“Aden, you need to go and be with Beau” Belle said pulling herself out of his embrace.

“Babe, you need me” Aden replied wrapping his arm back around her shoulder

“Why does she need you? What’s going on?” Abi asked again

“I’m bleeding” Belle answered “And I need you to come with me to see the doctor so Aden can go and be with Beau.”

“Oh my god!” Abi exclaimed

“Babe…” Aden tried but Belle interrupted him

“Please Aden, Beau needs you, I’ll be ok with Abi” She began to sob again and Aden tried to pull her into him but she resisted “Please, I need to know that he’s ok and I know he will be if he’s with you”

Aden had never felt more torn in his life. On the one hand he knew she was right, that Beau needed one of them there. But on the other hand, the idea of leaving her to deal with this without him made him feel physically ill. He looked into her eyes and seeing her pain shining in them decided he needed to do whatever he could to make this easier for her.

“Ok sweetheart, I’ll go to Beau as long as you’re sure and that you promise you’ll let Abi come and get me if anything….. if you need me” he reached out and took her face in his hands as she nodded “I love you baby, it’s going to be fine ok”

She nodded her head again, unable to answer as tears overwhelmed her. He leant forward and kissed her tenderly on the forehead “I love you” he whispered again before dropping his hands and looking to Abi

“Come on sis” she encouraged Belle, taking hold of her arm and gently guiding her away from Aden. Julie followed them as Aden headed back to Beau’s room.

“Hey mate, everything ok?” Geoff asked as he noticed Aden wiping tears from his eyes as he entered the room

Aden shook his head slightly before striding over to the bed “I’ll fill you in in a bit. Has he woken?” he looked down at Beau who was still in pretty much the same position as when he left, his eyes still closed.

“Not properly, he just keeps murmuring, I think he was saying mommy”

“probably” Aden replied quietly biting his lip to help hold in the sob that was threatening to escape. He sat down on the chair that was closest to Beaus bed and ran his hand gently down his arm then took hold of his hand

“mommy?”

There was no doubting what Beau murmured this time

“it’s me squirt” Aden said quietly leaning forward even more so that Beau would be able to see him when he opened his eyes which he did a few moments later. “Hey son, nice to see you”

“daddy, why am I in the hospital bed?” Beau croaked, his voice thick with sleep

“forgotten already huh? You got sick at Rachel’s house so Tony called an ambula…”

“I came in an ambulance?” Beau visibly perked up when he heard about his mode of transport to the hospital

“Yeah you did” Aden smiled rubbing a hand over Beau’s head

“Did it have the flashy lights on?”

“I don’t know mate, I was inside with you. Geoff?”

“Yeah?”

“Did they have the flashy lights on the ambulance?” Aden’s tone of voice and the look in his eyes told Geoff what his answer needed to be despite what the true answer was

“Oh yeah! Absolutely! I’ve never seen them that…. Er… flashy before”

Aden flashed him a grateful smile before returning his attention back to Beau

“That means I’m special doesn’t it daddy?”

“you are incredibly special squirt” Aden replied leaning forward to place a kiss on his forehead

“daddy, where’s my mommy?”

“she’s just had to go and see somebody with aunt Abi, she’ll be back soon”

Beau nodded his head in acknowledgement then shuffled up the bed slightly. As he did so he noticed the drip attached to the line in his chest. His eyes filled with tears as they followed the tube up to the clear bag attached to the stand.

“I just had chemo the other day, it’s not time for me to have it yet, I haven’t been better for a long time!”

“Don’t worry mate, it’s not chemo” Aden soothed, instantly spotting Beau had become upset. As the tears began to roll down his cheeks Aden climbed onto the bed next to him and gathered him into his arms “This medicine will just make you feel better I promise!”

“It wont make me sick?”

“Nope, it’s just going to get rid of a little infection that you’ve picked up”

“I don’t remember picking something up” Beau replied, confusion filling his face “Was it from the shops when I went with mommy?”

“I don’t mean picked up like that” Aden couldn’t help but chuckle “It’s sort of like when you catch a cold or something.”

“ok” Beau nodded although it was clear from his face that he was still confused. His big blue eyes travelled from Aden’s face to the bed and they quickly scanned the surrounding area “Nic nac! Where’s Nic nac?”

“I think we must have left him at Rachel’s mate” Aden replied “I’m sure Emme’s looking after him”

“I don’t want Emme to look after him! I need him, I need my Nic nac!” the tears that Aden had managed to stop a few moments earlier began to fall again.

“Alright buddy” Aden whispered into his ear as he held him close “We’ll get you your Nic nac” he looked up at Geoff the question in his eyes

“Sure” Geoff answered immediately standing up “I wont be long, can I bring anything else?”

“Erm…Beau mate, daddy just needs to talk to uncle Geoff for just a minute ok? I’ll only be by the door” he dropped another kiss onto Beau’s cheek as he slid off the bed and followed Geoff out of the room

“What’s going on?” Geoff asked as soon as they were clear of the room

“Belle’s bleeding” Aden answered his voice quiet so there was no chance Beau could overhear

“Bleeding? The baby! Is she…..Where is she now?” Geoff replied clearly shocked

“Abi has gone with her to the maternity department to see Dr Simpson.”

“Jeez! I hope everything’s ok!”

“Yeah me too Geoff! Do you think you can get some things together for us. Whatever happens there’s no way either of us is gonna be leaving this place today!”

“Course yeah, I’ll go over to yours and then swing by Tony’s on the way back. What do you need?”

“Change of clothes, toothbrushes stuff like that. If you call Irene and let her know what’s going on I’m sure she’ll meet you there and give you a hand finding stuff, although most of it is still in boxes.”

“Yeah, I’ll do that. You want me to call Roman too?”

“Thanks Geoff, that’d be…”

They were interrupted by Beau calling for Aden

“Go ahead mate, I’m on it” Geoff told Aden as he turned his head towards the room

“Thanks Geoff” he was back in the room before Beau had the chance to call out again

“What is it squirt?”

“I just wanted to check you was still there” Beau answered sheepishly

“Beau, mate, if I tell you I’m gonna be there I’ll be there, I promise. You never have to worry about that”

“Ok daddy. Will you sit with me again? it’s comfiest then”

Aden’s lips kicked up into a smile as he climbed onto the bed and Beau rested his head onto his chest and wrapped his arms as far as they would go around him.

“I love you little man” he whispered into his sons hair

“How much?” Beau asked tilting his head to look into Aden’s face with a cheeky grin

“Oh I don’t know….all the way to the moon and back”

“That’s not the farest! To infinity and beyond is the farest”

“Ok then, I love you to infinity and beyond”

“I love you that much too daddy”

The two of them remained in the same position on the bed for the next half an hour. Aden struggled to keep his mind focused on keeping Beau entertained as his thoughts drifted to Belle and their unborn baby. Eventually Beau fell back to sleep.

Carefully Aden slid Beau’s head back onto the pillow and slipped off the bed. He pulled his phone out of his pocket and retrieved Abi’s number. Connecting the call he let out a loud sigh when it went straight to voice mail. He programmed in Belle’s number without much hope so he was more than surprised when it began to ring. It was answered almost immediately

“Aden” Belle’s voice whispered down the line

“Babe, are you ok?”

“I…I…” sobs overcame her as she tried to talk

“Sweetheart….” Aden grabbed onto a chair for support as he legs began to shake “Sweetheart please, talk to me! Where are you?”

“here” she replied from behind him

He span around at her words dropping his phone onto the floor. She fell into his arms tears pouring down her cheeks

“ok baby” Aden managed to choke out as he tightened his hold on her, fearing the worst. “I’m here now, I’ve got you”

“it’s ok Aden…the baby ‘s ok!” she cried

“What?” he pulled her away from his chest and took her face in his hands “really, it’s ok?”

She nodded her head and tried to smile through her tears

“oh my god Belle! I thought….you seem so upset and…”

“I’m sorry, it’s just that so much has happened today and…” she raised her hand and tried to wipe away the tears that were still flowing down her cheeks but Aden stopped her

“Hey, you have nothing to apologise for! As long as the baby is ok and you’re ok that’s all that matters”

“We’re both fine! It was just one of those things”

“You’re sure?”

“Sure I’m sure, we heard it’s heart beat and it sounded nice and healthy”

“God, I’m so relieved! Come here!” he drew her back into a hug which she gratefully returned

“How’s my boy?” she asked a few seconds later pulling away and wiping a hand over her face as she made her way to Beau’s bed. She leant over and place a soft kiss onto his cheek being careful not to wake him as she picked up his hand.

“he’s alright” Aden replied. He walked over and stood behind her, he snaked his arms around her waist, placing his hands gently onto her tiny bump and resting his chin on her shoulder “He woke up for about half an hour, had a bit of a moment when he realised Nic nac wasn’t here!”

“Oh my god! How did we forget Nic nac!” Belle exclaimed

“I think we were kind of pre-occupied babe! Geoff has gone to collect him and some stuff for us”

“That’s good. Did you call Roman and Irene?”

“Nah, Geoff was gonna do that too”

“Ok. So I guess now we just settle down for the night huh?”

“Well providing there are no more drama’s!” Aden chuckled dryly “Hey where’s Abi?”

“Thinking about drama led you to Abs?” Belle asked a hint of amusement evident in her voice

“Well you know…”

“She’s gone to the diner to get us some food” Belle answered “I’m sure not even Abi can turn that into a drama!”

“Let’s hope not!” Aden replied “right you, I’m guessing Dr Simpson told you to rest?”

“She might have said something along those lines”

“Up you get then” he said nodding towards the bed “I’m sure you are even comfier than I am”

“Huh?” Belle asked as she jumped up onto the bed. Within seconds of her lying down Beau, somehow sensing her presence, snuggled closer to her “Oh I see!” she smiled “Hey baby” she whispered as Beau’s eyes fluttered open to look at her

“mommy, you’re back” he murmured

“I am munckin, I’m here now” she said as she pulled him closer to her “Mommy loves you so much Beau”

“I love you too mommy” he whispered as his eyelids began to droop “To infinity and…”

He was asleep before he could complete the sentence

“to infinity and beyond baby” Belle whispered as she placed a kiss on his forehead.

• 3 weeks later...

Nataliakesfan - here's a link for plain sailing the prequel to this story :)http://www.backtothebay.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=36540

Thanks for the lovely comments everyone, here's the next chap, sorry for the long wait!!

Chapter 16

When Belle awoke the following morning she was surprised to see the sun streaming in through the window of the hospital room. She could have sworn she had only closed her eyes for a moment. She was even more surprised when she turned her head to find Aden still sat in the chair next to the bed staring at her intently.

“Hey gorgeous” he spoke quietly, squeezing her hand that was held between his.

“Hey, Aden please tell me you haven’t sat up all night like this”

“Erm…..”

“Aden! You need to rest too, what would we do if you got sick?”

“Sweetheart, I’ll be fine.” he shuffled closer to the bed and moved his free hand to tenderly stroke Beau’s cheek “you three are the most important thing in my life, in fact you are my life. As long as I know you are all safe then I’m ok”

“You need to sleep” Belle continued to argue as she sat up slowly on the bed and hopped off it. She walked around the bed and into Aden’s open arms settling herself onto his lap

“I’ll sleep as soon as we are all home and in our bed together I promise”

“I’ll hold you to that” Belle whispered as she leant into him pressing her lips softly against his.

The kiss lasted for a few moments until they were disturbed by a gentle tap, a few seconds later Rachel poked her head around the door.

“Morning” her voice was low as she entered the room, careful not to awaken Beau “How’s things this morning?”

“Ok, well at least I think so” Aden replied “He’s been asleep all night”

“That’s good” Rachel smiled as she picked up Beau’s notes from the end of the bed and glanced at them “His obs all look good too. Belle, I heard about what happened after I left, are you alright?”

“I’m fine thanks Rach, it was a bit of a scare but everything is fine” she slid her hand underneath Aden’s which was resting on her stomach.

“I’m really glad, you make sure you take it easy though”

“I will don’t worry!” Belle insisted “So can we take Beau home today do you think?”

“I don’t see why not, I’ll write a script for some antibiotics and we’ll get him home before lunch, I hear Roman has a surprise for him”

“Is my surprise ready?” Beau asked as he opened his eyes and shuffled up the bed

“Hey baby” Belle shuffled forward on Aden’s lap and took hold of Beau’s hand as she leant forward to place a kiss on his forehead “yeah it’s ready”

“How you feeling son?” Aden asked leaning round Belle to take hold of Beau’s hand

“I don’t know yet daddy, I just woked up but I think I’m ok”

“that’s good to hear squirt” Aden smiled “I bet you’ll feel better when we get you home eh?”

“uh huh and when I get my surprise I’ll be even more better”

“Well I think we should get you some brekkie little man and then you can go and see your surprise” Rachel told Beau before turning to Belle “I’ll go and arrange some food and then get his prescription sorted”

“Thanks Rach” Belle replied although she kept her eyes firmly trained on Beau.

As Rachel left Belle stood up from Aden’s lap and climbed back onto the bed pulling Beau into her arms

“mommy! You’re squishing me!”

“Sorry munchkin” Belle laughed as she squeezed Beau a little tighter before letting him go “you’re just so squeezable!”

A few hours later Aden drove Belle and Beau home. They had arranged with Roman to meet him there as he had insisted that he wanted to be the one to show Beau his surprise. A smile lit up Beau’s face as soon as he spotted Roman’s car parked outside the house

“yay, granddad’s here!” he cried “daddy go quicker!”

“I’m going as fast as I can buddy” Aden replied. As he pulled onto the drive Roman came out of the house and as soon as the car stopped he opened the door next to Beau.

“Hey little soldier!”

“Granddad, granddad, do you have my surprise?” Beau, despite the traumas of the previous day, was more animated than anybody had seen him in a few weeks

“I do mate but it’s inside”

“let’s go then” Beau exclaimed unfastening his own seatbelt and attempting to climb out of the car.

“Whoa! Slow down squirt Aden called as he got out of the car

“Here, I’ll carry you in mate” Roman said as he scooped Beau into his arms

“any excuse for a cuddle” Belle chuckled

“busted” Roman laughed as Beau wrapped his arms tightly around his neck. As soon as they entered the house Beau’s eyes swept the room looking for his surprise

“Where is it?” he asked

“Well I don’t know where your surprise is baby but there’s one here for me and daddy!” Belle exclaimed “Where are all the boxes?”

“Yeah, Irene and Leah came around last night and unpacked, I hope you don’t mind?” Roman answered

“Mind! Why would we mind?” Aden asked as he walked into the house “This is great!”

“Well they weren’t sure where you wanted everything but…”

“Like Aden said, it’s great!” Belle interrupted “I’ll call them both later to thank them.”

“Can I see my surprise now” Beau asked “Please!”

“come on then, it’s upstairs” Roman replied carrying Beau up the stairs followed closely by Belle and Aden. They came to a stop outside the only one of the rooms to have the door closed along with a strip of blue and white tape strung across it with the words ‘police line do not cross’ emblazoned along it

“Favour from Charlie” Roman said with a nod at the tape

“ah! I was worried for a sec” Aden laughed “Thought we were walking into a crime scene.”

“Why are we at daddy’s old room? Is my surprise in there?” Beau asked

“Well mate, that’s kind of the surprise! This isn’t daddy’s old room anymore it’s your new room!”

“Really! Do I get to sleep in daddy’s old bed?”

“Not exactly. Why don’t you go on in and have a look” Roman lowered Beau onto the floor and helped him to pull the tape from the door and then turned the handle so Beau could push the door open. They all heard Beau’s gasp of surprise as he entered the room and Belle and Aden both gasped too as this was the first time they had seen what Roman had spent weeks preparing.

The room had been completely transformed into Beau’s dream bedroom. Three of the walls had been painted blue and the fourth wall was filled with a mural of lightening McQueen and all of the other characters from his favourite film. Taking pride of place in the centre of the room was a red racing car bed with a cars doona gracing the top. The shelves lining the walls where filled with his toys and dotted around the room where toy boxes housing the rest of his things.

“Roman, this is……wow! I don’t know what to say!” Aden exclaimed

Belle, tears fighting back tears flung her arms around Roman’s neck “I don’t know what to say either! It’s amazing Roman, thank you!”

“You’re welcome. So mister, what do you think?” They all looked down to Beau who had tiptoed further into the room and was now turning circles slowly next to the bed taking everything in.

“It’s…it’s…..it’s the bestest bestest surprise I ever got!”

“You like it then?” Roman asked walking over to him and crouching down

Beau threw himself into Roman’s arms wrapping his arms tightly around his neck “I like it squillions, thank you granddad!”

“You are welcome mate” Roman placed a kiss onto Beau’s head as he picked him up and then gently placed him so he was standing on the bed “I’m glad you like it!”

“I do, lots and lots and lots!”

“me too” Aden agreed “Roman seriously thank you so much for this”

“hey, he’s my only grandson, it’s my job to spoil him right?”

“Yeah I guess so” Aden laughed “We’ll give you a call when we want him to come to dinner but he’s too busy playing up here!”

“Yeah, or when we want him to go to sleep but he’s too busy driving his car!” Belle added with a laugh

“you see” Roman grinned “there lies the distinction between parents and grandparents. You guys have to think about that kind of stuff where as I can just do all the spoiling and the fun stuff! It’s great really!”

“for you maybe” Belle replied smiling at Roman “right sweetie, do you want to stay up here and play for a bit before lunch?”

“I’m a bit too tired right now, can I have a little sleep first?”

“of course you can baby, you want to go in your new bed?”

“Where are you and daddy going to be?”

“We’ll be just downstairs” Belle replied taking hold of his hands that he had held out to her

“Then I want to be downstairs too! I’ll sleep on the couch”

“alright munchkin, come on” Belle scooped him into her arms, batting Aden away when he stepped closer to take him from her “It’s fine babe, I’ve got him”

She carried him downstairs and settled him onto the couch, covering him with a blanket and kissing him gently as he closed his eyes.

“we’ll be right here ok baby, sleep tight”

Roman and Aden came down the stairs as Belle made her way into the kitchen

“Don’t even say it Aden!” she warned as he followed her in

“but…”

“No buts! I know I have to take it easy and I will, hell you can lock me in the house if you want to but I wont stop carrying my little boy when he needs me!”

“I could have carried him”

“Yeah but he wanted me! He’s already confused enough with the illness and the baby and moving! I’m not going to add to that by changing the way I am with him. I know my body babe and I promise I wont do anything that I think will put our baby at risk

“I know that sweetheart”

“Then trust me! Ok?”

“Ok” Aden nodded “I’m sorry”

“I’ll forgive you…” Belle grinned as he pulled her into a hug “..if you go in there and lie down with Beau and have a sleep”

“How about…..”

“Hey guys, sorry to interrupt but I need to shoot off, I’ve left Leah and Coleen alone in the diner” Roman explained coming into the kitchen

“No worries mate” Aden replied “Thanks again, for the room and everything. And thank Leah for us for the unpacking”

“Yeah, tell her I’ll call later” Belle added

“I will do, and you are more than welcome. I’ll see you later”

“I’ll come and show you out” Aden said dropping his arms from there position around Belle’s waist

“Stay where you are” Roman insisted “I think I remember where the door is! Bye guys

“bye Roman” Belle and Aden both said at the same time

“so what were you going to suggest before we were interrupted?” Belle asked once she had heard Roman shut the door behind himself

“I was going to suggest that we carry Beau upstairs and we all take a lie down”

“I slept all night babe and there’s loads to…..stop with the look! I’m just talking about lunch and a few loads of laundry! Nothing too strenuous!”

“Ok ok! You sure you don’t mind if I catch up on a bit of sleep?”

“I suggested it didn’t I! come on” she took him by the hand and led him into the lounge”

Beau was still awake and opened his eyes to look at them as they entered

“Hey squirt, you think there’s room on there for one more?”

He nodded his head and shuffled towards the back of the couch making room for Aden.

As soon as he lay down Beau manoeuvred himself so his head was resting against his fathers chest and Aden wrapped his arms around him gently dropping a kiss onto his head.

Belle rearranged the blanket so it was covering both of them and leant down placing kisses onto both or their foreheads

“I love you boys”

“we love you too, right mate?” Aden asked

“Right” Beau replied

Belle headed into the kitchen to make a start on the jobs she needed doing, when she walked back into the lounge just a few minutes later she couldn’t help but smile at the sight that greeted her, Beau and Aden both fast asleep already.

Chapter 17

Aden woke after sleeping for over an hour. He managed to manoeuvre Beau onto a cushion without waking him, slipped off the couch and made his way into the kitchen to find Belle. She was sitting at the table surrounded by photograph albums

“Hey there beautiful, what you up to?” he asked

“Just looking through these” she nodded at the albums in front of her “Beau still asleep?”

“ye…”

“No I’m not” Beau interrupted Aden as he padded into the kitchen and climbed up onto a chair

“Hello baby, good sleep?” Belle asked

Beau nodded as he pulled an album towards himself “Are these all my pictures?”

“Most of them” Belle replied with a chuckle “There might be one or two from before you were born!”

Beau opened the album in front of him and glanced at a picture of himself sitting on the floor in their apartment wearing PJ’s and surrounded by toys. He took in everything from the picture then looked at the writing underneath

“What does this say daddy?”

Aden was standing behind him resting his hands on the table either side of the photograph album. A broad smile lit up his face as he read the caption underneath the photo

“It says that this picture was taken on the day you said your very first word”

“Really, what did I say?”

Flashback

Aden arrived home after work to find the lounge empty. He closed the door quietly behind him and made his way to the bedrooms where he could hear voices or, more specifically, one voice

“come on baby, say it for me…..say mama….mama.” a string of babbles followed Belle’s request that couldn’t, by any stretch of her imagination, be formed into any word in the dictionary let alone the one she had asked for. Beau was just over a month away from his first birthday. He had taken his first steps a few weeks previously and they were now eagerly anticipating his first word

“I’d quit whilst you were ahead babe, we all know that’s not gonna be his first word don’t we squirt” Aden asked as he walked into the nursery

“Oh and what will it be then?” Belle asked “Hello by the way” she turned her head so that Aden could drop a kiss onto her lips

“Hey gorgeous” he spoke into her lips “Miss me?”

“we always miss you” she replied with a smile as he leant over the changing table to kiss Beau

“I miss you both too, like crazy! Anyway in answer to your question, His first word is going to be daddy isn’t it mate?”

“No way! It’ll be mama you wait and see!”

“Sorry babe but me and Beau have a little arrangement don’t we?” He took hold of Beau’s hand and wiggled his arm. Beau responded with a giggle and Aden couldn’t resist leaning down to place another kiss on the dimples the laughter formed in his cheek “See” he grinned at Belle

“And what would this deal involve?”

“that’s highly confidential secret boy stuff, right squirt? My lips are sealed!”

“Whatever” Belle chuckled as she finished doing up the clean nappy. She lifted Beau so that he was standing on the matt and pulled up his shorts

“All done munchkin, now you can go and play with daddy in the lounge whilst I get dinner on the go”

She placed him onto the floor and held onto him for a moment so he could get his balance. Once she was satisfied he was steady she let go and he began to toddle towards the door. Aden stepped forwards so he was in front of Beau and held a hand out to him. Beau raised his chubby arm and Aden slipped a finger into his grasp so he could guide him into the lounge. Once they were in there Aden let go of his hand and made his way over to the couch. He lowered himself to the floor and leant back against it and Beau slowly made his way over and began to climb over his outstretched legs. Belle made her way into the kitchen and began taking food from the fridge.

When the phone began to ring a few minutes later Aden looked up to see Belle busy chopping vegetables

“I’ll get it babe”

Beau was sitting between his legs playing with a set of stacking cups. He pushed him back slightly before placing his hands onto the couch to lever himself up

“Be back in a tic squirt”

Beau turned his head so he could track Aden’s progress across the room then turning his whole body held his chubby arms up in the air

“Dada”

Aden froze halfway across the room and the knife that Belle was using clattered onto the counter

“Did he just…..” Aden asked as he turned around to look at his son

“yeah he did!” Belle exclaimed “He said dada!”

The ringing phone forgotten both parents made their way over to their son, pure joy radiating from both of their faces. Aden was the first to reach him and scooped him up into his arms covering his face in kisses which caused him to giggle

“clever boy Beau, you can say dada! Can you say it again? Say dada…”

“Dada”

“Oh my god!” Belle cried “Come here baby” she held her arms out and Aden handed Beau over. She too covered his face in kisses along with tears which were freely flowing down her cheeks as they had been at every milestone he had reached. “Mommy is so proud of you! You’re our clever boy aren’t you? Yes you are!”

“dada, dada” Beau called again

“look at you showing off!” Aden laughed wrapping his arms around Belle and Beau “how about we try mama huh? Can you say mama?”

“dada”

End flashback

“I don’t think the new baby will say daddy first” Beau said when Belle and Aden had finished the story of his first word

“You think baby will say mommy?” Belle asked

“No!” Beau replied “I think the baby will say Beau first because I’m gonna be his favourite”

“I think you might be right munchkin” Belle agreed with a smile

“Me too” Aden agreed “Although you do know that it might not be a he don’t you squirt? It could be a little girl”

“yeah I know” Beau replied “Mommy I’m hungry, can I have some chocolate cake?”

“What makes you think we have chocolate cake?”

“Granddad said Leah had been here and Leah Allllllways brings me chocolate cake” Beau answered sweetly

“nothing gets past you does it mister?” Belle said with a laugh as she stood up “Do you think you could manage a sandwich before your cake?”

“Cheese?”

“If that’s what you want”

“Yes please mommy”

“One cheese sandwich coming up. Babe?” she looked to Aden

“Erm I could go a cheese sandwich too”

“Ok, make that two cheese sandwiches”

“You want me to…….” Aden paused in his offer to help when he spotted the glare Belle threw at him “…..keep my mouth shut and sit here with Beau?” he finished

“You’re learning” Belle replied turning her back to him so she could get on with making lunch

“One more thing babe, and please don’t bite my head off, you are going to have something to eat yourself aren’t you?”

Belle sighed “I’m not really hungry”

“Sweetheart” Aden stood up and took hold of her waist turning her to face him “you need to eat something, a slice of cake even, just something! Please, just for me”

“I’ll have cake then, if you insist”

“I do” Aden replied as he placed a hand gently under her chin and tilted her head back so that he could dip his head to kiss her “Thank you” he whispered before returning to sit back at the table with Beau “look at these squirt” he said opening another album “these are the pictures of your first birthday”

“All of them?!”

After finishing lunch Aden and Belle took Beau upstairs to play in his room whilst they unpacked the remaining things in their room and the bathroom. It took twice as long as they expected as Beau kept on calling them into his room to show them things. When they were finished Belle took the opportunity to call Irene and Leah to thank them for their help whilst Aden played with Beau. When she had finished she joined them in his room

“Can you boys live without me tomorrow night?” she asked as she sat herself down on the racing car bed

“oh, I don’t know about that!” Aden replied forcing a frown onto his face “We’d have to do boy things like watch the footie and eat chips and drink beer! It’d be very tough wouldn’t it squirt?”

“Beer tastes yucky!” Beau said in answer “but chips are good and I like shouting at the footie with you daddy so it wouldn’t be very tough”

Belle and Aden both laughed at his answer

“so you’ll manage?” Belle asked

“Just about I think” Aden told her picking up her hand and raising it to his lips “Who’s getting the pleasure of your company instead of us then?”

“Leah wants to talk weddings?”

“About time!”

“Yeah, they set a date last night!”

“Really? Roman kept that quiet!” Aden replied

“He wanted to let Leah tell us herself. Anyway it’s new years eve!”

“Wow, cool date! Double the excuse to party! It’s quite a few months away though, thought they’d have done it sooner”

“Yeah, Leah said they wanted to wait and give things a chance to settle down” her gaze flicked to Beau and Aden instantly knew what she was hinting at

“I see, that’s good of them” he replied

Belle was about to reply when the doorbell rang

“I’ll get it” Aden was on his feet and at the top of the stairs before Belle even had the chance to think about objecting.

When he opened the door he found Geoff and Abi on the doorstep in the midst of a heated conversation

“…nose out Geoff! I’ll tell them when I’m ready! Aden hi” Abi turned to him placing a saccharine sweet smile onto her face

“Errr, hi! Interrupting something?”

Geoff opened his mouth to reply but Abi cut him off

“no, nothing! So can we come in or are you going to leave us out here on the doorstep”

“Yeah, come in” he moved aside and allowed them to walk past him glancing at Geoff as he passed. Geoff shook his head in response and Aden knew that he wouldn’t get anything out of him if Abi had told him not to talk about whatever it was they were discussing.

“Where’s my gorgeous nephew?” Abi asked throwing herself onto the nearest couch kicking her shoes off at the same time

“Make yourself at home” Aden grinned

“Aunt Abi! Uncle Geoff!” Beau cried as he spotted them from the top of the stairs “Hey mate, you’re looking much better than the last time I saw you” Geoff said opening his arms wide for Beau to jump into them when he reached the bottom of the stairs

“I was very poorly yesterday uncle Geoff ‘cause my teprature went too too high but Rachel made me better with medicine. Not chemo medicine that makes me sick, good medicine that just made me better”

“I’m glad you are better mate” Geoff replied giving Beau a squeeze before lowering him to the floor. As soon as he was firmly on the ground Beau made his way to the couch and climbed up next to Abi

“Are you glad I’m better too Abi?”

“Of course I am sweetie, you’re my best boy and I hate seeing you poorly”

“Abi?”

“Yes sweets?”

“Why isn’t uncle Geoff your best boy?”

“Erm……”

“good question munchkin” Belle laughed as she came down the stairs

“Babe!” Aden exclaimed although he too was laughing “You don’t need to answer that Abi”

“I reckon you wouldn’t like the answer much anyway” Geoff snapped sharply

Belle and Aden both stared at him shocked at his uncharacteristic outburst

“Shut up Geoff!” Abi replied

“Whoa! What’s going on?” Belle asked

“Did I say something wrong?” Beau asked picking up on the atmosphere change in the room. His bottom lip began to tremble

“Course not son!” Aden answered quickly reaching down to pick Beau up whilst shooting a warning look at Abi and Geoff, furious at them for upsetting his son. “Lets go and see if there’s any ice cream in the freezer” He carried him into the kitchen leaving Belle staring at Geoff and Abi with a raised eyebrow

“Come on, enlighten me” she said taking a seat next to Abi

“It’s nothing” Abi answered at the same time as Geoff spoke

“She’s back with Callum”

“What!” Belle cried

“Geoff! I can’t believe you” Abi fumed “I told you I’d tell them in my own time”

“Well he’s going to be knocking on the door in about 10 minutes so I thought I’d hurry you along” Geoff replied cuttingly before standing up and going to join Aden in the kitchen

“I…..Abi please tell me this isn’t true!” Belle looked pleadingly at her sister

“I love him Belle”

“He hit you! How could you even think about getting back with him?”

“I love him”

“Yeah you said that” Belle snapped “Well I’m guessing you are not going to listen if I try and talk you out of this?”

“No I’m not!” Abi lifted her chin defiantly “He’s apologised, he made a mistake and I trust him when he says it wont happen again!”

“Whatever! What did Geoff mean when he said he’d be here in 10 minutes?”

“He’s coming to pick me up” Abi replied

“Well you better call him and tell him not to come here because if Aden sees him he’ll kill him”

“I thought he’d be ok now, it was a long….”

“Well you thought wrong!” Aden exclaimed as he entered the lounge “Geoff just told me and Belle’s right I will kill him!”

“Aden, please tru….”

Before Abi could continue with her pleading the door knocked. Being the only one of the three standing up Aden was the first to make it to the door although Belle and Abi were both hot on his heels. Both were dreading what was going to happen when he opened it to find Callum on the other side.

“Babe take it easy” Belle cried as he pulled the door open

As they had guessed Callum was standing on the doorstep looking sheepish. Before he even registered the door opening Aden had grabbed him by the collar and forced him off the doorstep and into the wall outside

“Hey, look mate….” he began pulling at Aden’s hands

“Babe please” Belle begged “Beau’s inside”

Belle’s words registering with him after a second Aden loosened his grip on callum but did not let go

“Three things” Aden growled “First, I am not your mate! Second, I can’t tell Abi what to do but I will tell you that if you hurt her again, in any way, I will find you and I will make you pay! And third stay away from my house! If I see you even breathing near my wife or son I will plaster that smug grin to the back of your head! Are we clear?”

“Crystal” Callum replied cockily shrugging out of Aden’s grasp “Abi are we going?”

Abi looked guiltily between the three of them, her eyes brimming with tears. When they found Belle’s the tears spilt over and down her cheeks

“Please don’t hate me” she whispered

“Abi!” Belle cried pulling her sister to her “ I don’t hate you! I love you, we all love you. We care about you and we worry about you” she looked pointedly at Callum “Just be careful yeah and call me later”

“I will” Abi sniffed placing a quick kiss on Belle’s cheek before following Callum down the driveway to his car.

“Come here” Aden, noticing the tears pooling in Belle’s eyes pulled her into his arms wrapping them both tightly around her shoulders

“He’ll hurt her again Aden, guys like him don’t change!”

“I know sweetheart” he sighed wishing with all his heart that he could tell her different “But she’s not going to listen to us and change her mind so all we can do is be here for her if…”

“When” Belle corrected him

“….things go wrong” he finished

“I don’t understand why she’d get back together with him! There must be hundreds of guys out there who’d love to go out with her and treat her like a princess”

“There’s one sitting in our kitchen babe but she doesn’t love him, she loves Callum”

“I wish she loved Geoff” Belle sighed “Life would be so much easier then”

“yeah it would but we’ll just have to wait babe, she’ll find her prince charming in the end!”

“Just like I found mine” Belle whispered as she closed her eyes and rested her head against his strong shoulder.

Thanks for the lovely comments folks, they are very much appreciated :D

Credit to Laura for the new word that appears in this chap! it was all her making! :D

Chapter 18

“Boys I’m leaving”

Belle stood at the bottom of the stairs and called up to Aden and Beau who had been playing in Beaus room since Aden returned from work earlier that afternoon. As she headed into the kitchen to collect her bag she heard the patter of Beau’s feet running down the stairs followed by Aden’s heavy footfall

“Byeeeee mommy” Beau cried flinging himself into her waiting arms

“Oh, I’m going to miss you munchkin!”

“You’re only going to Leah’s house mommy, not far far away! You don’t need to miss me!”

“Baby, I miss you whenever you are not with me. It doesn’t matter where I am!”

“Well then I’ll miss you too!” Beau grinned placing a kiss onto his mothers cheek

“And so will I” Aden added wrapping his arms around the two of them.

“I wont be late” Belle told them letting go of Beau with one arm so she could snake it around Aden’s neck

“I’ll wait up” he whispered before placing a warm tender kiss on her lips

“Ewwww!” Beau giggled “Stop being mushy!”

“Sorry squirt” Aden laughed lifting Beau out of Belle’s arms

“What are you doing about dinner?” Belle asked Aden as he sat Beau on the counter and began to root around in one of the drawers. He pulled out a pizza menu and waved it in Belle’s direction

“Yesssss!” Beau exclaimed “Pizza!”

“Well it looks like you are gonna manage alright without me!! Belle smiled “I’m gonna head off. I love you both”

“love you mommy”

“love you babe”

They both returned her kisses and waved as she made her way out of the door. On her way down the drive to her car she bumped into a familiar figure

“Hello you! Been kicked out?”

“yeah” Roman replied with a grin “apparently I’m not needed for wedding planning! All I have to do is turn up on the day”

“like a good little husband” Belle giggled “Don’t worry, we’ll make sure you don’t end up wearing a kilt….although, you do have great legs!” she laughed

“Don’t!” Roman chucked

“We’ll see” Belle winked “The boys are inside anyway, just about to order pizza so if you’re quick….”

“I’ll get something besides Hawaiian!” Roman replied

“You know Aden Roman, he’s a creature of habit!” Belle said as she unlocked the car door

“He is indeed! See you later Belle, have fun” Roman held the car door open whilst Belle climbed in and pushed it gently closed once she was safely seated inside.

He waved as she pulled away and then headed into the house.

“Hello”

“Hey Roman, we’re in here” Aden called from the kitchen “Come on squirt!” he continued his conversation with Beau as Roman joined them

“But I don’t like pineapple daddy!”

“You liked Hawaiian the last time we had pizza” Aden replied

“That was last week ago, I liked pineapple then but I changed my mind and I don’t like it any more!”

Aden sighed “So what do you want then?”

“Just cheese” Beau answered “And ham!”

“Squirt that’s just Hawaiian without the pineapple, can’t we just get that and pick the pineapple off?”

“No!” Beau exclaimed. The look of horror on his face caused Roman to laugh and Aden’s lips began to twitch as he too struggled to keep laughter at bay

“How about you get your Hawaiian Aden and Beau and I’ll share a margherita with some ham thrown on” Roman suggested

“But I don’t like mar….marg…what granddad said” Beau pouted “I want cheese and ham!” he folded his arms across his chest and stuck his chin out stubbornly

“mate, Margherita is just the fancy name for cheese pizza” Roman explained

“Really granddad?” Beau looked at Roman sceptically “Because mommy said her scetti bolognaise was just scetti bolognaise but then I found carrots and scetti bolognaise isn’t posed to have carrots!”

Roman threw his head back in laughter “I promise little man! Nothing but tomato and cheese!”

“Tomato! I don’t like tomato! Tomato is gusting!” Beau cried

Aden shook his head as Roman doubled up with laughter

“Beau! Pizza always has tomato, it’s in the sauce on the bottom! And spaghetti bolognaise is full of tomato too and lasagne and that‘s your favourite!”

“Nu uh! I’m not eating tomato!” Beau insisted

“How about we try a Chinese?” Roman suggested as he wiped tears of laughter from his face

“Are you kidding!” Aden exclaimed “Have you seen how long there menu is? We’ll be here all night with mr picky here!” He tickled Beau’s waist “We’ll stick with the pizza but get some wedges and garlic bread and stuff, you like those right?”

“Yeah I like wedges daddy but only with ketchup!”

Roman nearly chocked on the mouthful of beer he had just taken

“What?” Beau asked all innocence as Aden patted Roman on the back

“Nothing squirt” Aden laughed “But I think I need one of these!” he pulled a bottle of beer from the pack Roman had placed on the counter when he came in

“Come on mate, lets you and me go and get settled in the lounge whilst daddy orders the pizza” Roman lifted Beau from the counter and draped him over his shoulder causing him to giggle

“Granddad! I’m upside down!”

“Hey Belle”

Leah greeted her at the door with a hug

“No point in asking you if you want wine!” She waved the bottle and Belle shook her head regrettably

“I wish” she replied patting her small bump “just a juice for me”

“See Leah…” Rachel said coming into the kitchen “…There’s another good reason for not wanting another baby! 9 months without wine!”

“Have I missed something?” Belle asked glancing back and forth between her friends

“I was just asking if Rach and Tony were going to be giving Emme a little brother or sister anytime soon” Leah replied

“Ah right, and I take it the answer is no then?”

“Absolutely!” Rachel answered as she took the glass that Leah handed her and headed back into the lounge followed by Belle and Leah “I mean don’t get me wrong, I adore being a mother but one is definitely enough for me! Besides Tony’s a granddad now!”

“How is Mattie?” Leah asked “I haven’t heard from her for a while”

“I just spoke to her yesterday” Belle answered “Beth’s teething so her and Ric aren’t getting much sleep but other than that they are doing great. She said they were thinking about coming home for Christmas this year so they might be here for the wedding”

“Aw, that’d be great!” Leah grinned “speaking of the wedding…” she walked over to the table and picked up a stack of magazines “..lets make a start on these!” she handed each of them a magazine to look through

“So what are we thinking?” Belle asked “Big white wedding or something simple?”

“Erm…somewhere in between maybe” Leah replied

“Well first things first….” Rachel said, an excited glint in her eye “what sort of dress would you like? Once that’s sorted we can plan the rest of the theme around that”

“I don’t know…. I was thinking something….something vintageyfied!” Leah answered

“Vintageyfied?” Belle exclaimed “Is that even a word?”

“It is now!” Leah laughed “Something like this” she turned the magazine she was looking at around to show Rachel and Belle and they both let out small sighs when they saw the picture Leah was pointing at

“oh yeah! That would be perfect for you” Belle stated and Rachel nodded her head in agreement

“And I was thinking maybe blue for you two and Emme”

“Us?” Rachel asked

“Well I’ll need bridesmaids wont I?”

“Oh wow!” Rachel cried

“Err Leah, I’m honoured, really I am, but you haven’t forgotten that I’ll be like 8 months pregnant by then?”

“Of course I haven’t Belle but I’m sure we’ll be able to find you something that fits!”

“Gee thanks!” she laughed

“Yeah, that camping shop in Yabbi creek have some lovely tents” Rachel teased

“Ha ha ha!”

“Seriously, you can get some really nice maternity dresses so I’m sure we’ll find something” Leah said kindly “And we were wondering if Beau would be our pageboy?”

“Oh Leah! He’d love that” Belle felt tears springing to her eyes

“Hey, don’t cry!” Leah jumped up and rushed over to her

“Sorry! I’m just being silly!”

“Of course you’re not!” Leah insisted “He’s special to all of us Belle and we are all so proud of how hard he is fighting this illness and I’m sure that by the time the wedding comes around he’ll be fighting fit again”

“I hope so” Belle whispered “I really hope so”

“He asleep?” Roman asked as Aden made his way down the stairs

“yeah, finally!” Aden replied “I had to read the Gruffalo 3 times!”

“Why?” Roman asked with a chuckle

“’Cause the first time I didn’t do the voices properly and then again because when I did do the voices they were so good he wanted to hear them again!”

“he’s such a character mate!”

“Yeah, he’s that alright! Another beer?”

“Nah I better not, I’m driving”

“Well I’m gonna have one!” he headed to the kitchen and returned a few seconds later with a bottle in hand. He threw himself down on the empty couch with a sigh

“Man! I’m beat! I’m turning into an old man! I’ll be catching you up soon Roman!”

“Hey less of that!! You should save it for your speech anyway!”

“Speech?”

“yeah, it’s customary at weddings for the best man to make a speech!”

“You…..wow! You want me to be your best man”

“Yeah, I’d really like it if you would”

“of course I would! I’d be honoured Roman!”

“I know I don’t say it much mate but I am so very very proud of you and I think of you as my own son…”

“Roman I….”

“Let me finish mate! I think of you as my son and I love you Aden, there is nobody else I’d rather have standing next to me!”

“I don’t…..” Aden sniffed and quickly wiped at his eyes “something in my eye” he laughed

“Yeah ok” Roman chuckled too

“Seriously Roman, you have been better than a dad to me over the years, I couldn’t ask for more and like I said, I’d be honoured to stand up there with you as your best man”

“Come here mate” Roman stood up and pulled Aden up into a hug patting him on the back as he did so “right, where’s the remote” he said pulling away “we need to get some sport on the TV before we turn into proper girls!”

When Belle entered the house a few hours later she was surprised to find the lounge empty despite the TV being on. After turning it off she checked in the kitchen and when she didn’t find anyone in there headed upstairs.

She went to Beau’s room first to check on him. He was sprawled on his bed the wrong way up and his doona had been kicked onto the floor. Smiling to herself she tiptoed into the room, picked it up and gently placed it back over him as she perched herself on the edge of the bed. She spent a few minutes watching him sleep and then leant down to place a delicate kiss on his cheek

“sweet dreams my baby” she whispered before quietly making her way out of the room and into her own.

Pushing open their door another smile came to her face. Aden was sprawled in pretty much the same position on their bed as Beau had been on his own. The only differences being that he was the right way up and was still fully dressed.

Quietly, without disturbing him, she inched her way onto the bed and lay down as close to him as she could manage

“Thought you were gonna wait up” she whispered directly into his ear

“huh” Aden blinked a few times and raised his hand to rub across his face “what time is it?”

“After 11” Belle answered “So, the thought of me coming home is not exciting enough to keep you awake anymore?”

“Sorry babe! I came up to check on Beau after Roman had left then came in here for something and I must have just crashed!”

“Oh I reckon you can make it up to me” Belle grinned as she tilted her head and kissed him passionately

“Wow!” he exclaimed as they broke apart breathlessly “I think I’m gonna enjoy making it up to you!” he inched his head closer to hers in an attempt to kiss her again but she moved hers backwards

“All in good time mister!” she whispered running her fingers through his hair “I want to hear about your evening first!”

“Yeah, we had pizza, watched some footie it was great” Aden began to hungrily kiss her neck

“Aden” she giggled placing her hands on his neck and pulling him away from her

“What?” he grinned “Ok! I had a bit of a debate with our son about pizza toppings! And then he ended up polishing off most of my Hawaiian himself despite insisting that he doesn’t like pineapple or tomato! Then we watched a bit of footie, I put Beau to bed, read him the Gruffalo, 3 times! Then Roman asked me to be his best man then we watched the boxing then…”

“He asked you to be best man?”

“Babe, I know you know, there’s no need to act all surprised” he laughed

“Ok so Leah may have mentioned that he was gonna ask!” she admitted “Are you pleased?”

“Yeah I am” Aden replied a little shyly “And surprised too I guess”

“Aden why would you be surprised, you know Roman thinks the world of you and he knows you think the world of him! It was obvious really”

“Really? You think?”

“yeah I think! And besides….” she whispered her voice turning seductive as she adjusted her position on the bed so she was leaning over him “You are the best man right?”

Chapter 19

Silencing the alarm as soon as it began to ring Aden placed a gentle kiss on Belle’s cheek and whispered to her to go back to sleep. He slipped out of bed and after peering his head around Beau’s door to check he was still sleeping he made his way into the bathroom to shower and get dressed for work. Once he was ready he returned to the bedroom and sat down gently on Belle’s side of the bed. He ran a finger gently down her cheek. She wrinkled her nose at the touch but her eyes remained firmly closed

“sweetheart” he whispered “I have to go”

“Hmmm?” she replied

“I’m heading off to work now”

“ok”

“I’ll meet you at the hospital at 10 yeah?”

“ok”

“sweetheart?”

“Hmmm?” she finally opened her eyes to look at him

“I love you” he grinned at her

“I love you too baby, see you at 10”

Since the diagnosis Aden had rearranged his shifts at work so he could make it to all of Beau’s appointments. On the days he had chemo he did work on the dock rather than go out on the trawler so he could finish early and be at the hospital.

“bye babe” he leant down and met her lips in a tender kiss.

When he had left Belle snuggled back down in the bed and quickly drifted back off to sleep.

The next thing she knew somebody was crawling into the bed next to her

“Good morning munchkin”

“hello mommy” Beau replied sleepily as he cuddled up next to her

“You sleep well?”

“yeah, my racing car bed is really comfy but I still like your bed the bestest” he answered

“Well you can sleep in here tonight if you like”

“Can I mommy? I’d li…” the happy smile fell from his face as he suddenly remembered the reason he usually slept in his parents bed “Is it chemo day today?”

“It is baby” she wrapped her arm a little tighter around him.

He had been having treatment for 4 months. Other than the infection the month previously there had been no other complications and Rachel and the other doctors were pleased with how it was going. He had another 2 months to go before they would run tests to find out if it had been successful.

“I don’t like chemo days” he whispered as he buried his face into her neck

“I know” she soothed him as she placed kisses onto the top of his head “You are so good and brave though aren’t you?”

“I try mommy but sometimes I feel not very brave and a little bit scared”

“oh baby!”

Belle hated that there was nothing she could say to him to make it better. She couldn’t promise that it would be ok because he knew now, after 4 months of being poorly on a regular basis that it wouldn’t be. She couldn’t tell him that it would be over soon, when you were 5 there was no concept of time, 2 months might as well have been forever. Besides, there was no guarantee that he would be in remission by then no matter how hard she, Aden and the rest of their family and friends prayed for it. All she could do was hold him and whisper to him how proud he made her and Aden and how much they loved him.

They stayed cuddled up together for another half an hour until Belle noticed the time and realised if they didn’t start getting ready then they would be late. She made breakfast for Beau and left him to eat it whilst she had a quick shower and then helped him to get ready.

“Have you got everything ready baby?” she asked as she walked into the lounge from the kitchen

“yup” Beau answered pointing to his backpack

“Shoes on?” she checked

“Yup” he wriggled his flip flop clad foot in her direction

“They’re on the wrong feet sweetie”

“But these are….I don’t have any other feet mommy!” he replied, confusion clouding his features

Belle burst into laughter “You are the funniest thing munchkin! I mean they’re the wrong way around, you need to switch them. Here..” She bent down and quickly swapped his shoes around “Sorted!”

“Thank you!” Beau smiled sweetly

“You’re welcome. Do you have Nic nac?”

He lifted his arm to show her the blue bear clutched tightly by it’s arm in his hand

“We’re all set then, lets go” she scooted him out of the house and in to the car for the journey to the hospital.

Belle had just helped Beau from the car when he spotted Aden’s car pulling into the car park

“My daddy!” he cried and made to run off to meet him

“Hey, hang on Beau! This is a car park!” Belle told him taking hold of his hand. She waited until Aden was out of the car and checked that no other cars were coming before she let go “go on then sweetie”

He ran towards Aden who stretched out his arms to greet him

“daddy daddy!”

“Hey squirt” Aden swept him up into his arms “You ok?”

Beau had wrapped his arms around his fathers neck and buried his head into his shoulder

“Buddy, you ok?” Aden repeated when he didn’t get a reply the first time. He sighed when he felt Beau’s head shake against his neck and looked to Belle for an answer. She gestured to the hospital building in reply.

“Is it the chemo Beau?”

Beau nodded his head then lifted it so he could see Aden’s face

“I don’t want to be sick any more daddy”

Aden’s heart broke at Beau’s words

“I know mate” he held him tight against his chest as he placed a kiss on his forehead “I know”

“Can we just go home instead of to the hospital? Please daddy!”

“I wish we could squirt, you know that, but you need to have your chemo today”

“Why? I’m a good boy and it’s not fair! It’s not fair that I have to have stupid horrible medicine that makes me sick!” Beau’s face scrunched up as tears began to run down his cheeks”

“Alright son” Aden soothed as Belle came over and ran a hand down his back

“it’s ok baby” she whispered

“No it’s not!” Beau’s tiny fists began to pound against Aden’s chest “It’s not fair! I wont go! I wont! I wont!” he squirmed around until Aden was left with no choice but to lower him to the ground

“Come on buddy, it’ll be alright” as he spoke the words to try and sooth his son Aden hated himself. Hated himself for lying, Beau knew full well that it wouldn’t be alright! He knew that if he went into the hospital and had the chemo he’d spend the next few days feeling and being sick. He knew that once he started to feel better it was only a matter of time before the whole process started again. He knew and yet Aden tried to tell him otherwise. He hated himself most of all for being able to do nothing to ease his sons suffering! He would gladly lay down his own life if it meant that Beau would be healthy again. But despite feeling all that he continued to do it, wanting nothing more in that moment than to settle Beau “it’s gonna be alright squirt”

“NO!” Beau shouted and before either Belle or Aden could stop him he pulled out of Aden’s embrace and began to run away from them towards Belle’s car and straight into the path of a car that had just turned into the car park.

“BEAU!”

Belle’s scream was louder than the screech of the tyres on the tarmac.

Aden’s reactions were quicker than he could ever imagine as he dived forward reaching Beau just as the car slammed to a halt inches away from them. He had pushed Beau as he dived then somehow managed to contort his body around his sons so he took the impact of the fall cushioning Beau against his chest.

They lay in silence for what felt like minutes but must have only been seconds, Belle’s screams reverberating in Aden’s head.

“Beau!” Belle cried rushing over to them “My baby! Is he ok? Aden is he ok?” she was on the verge of becoming hysterical and Aden was quick to reassure her

“He’s alright babe, I got him” he sat up and looked at Beau “Alright squirt?”

His eyes were wide with shock but there were no visible signs of trauma “I’m ok” he whispered

Belle collapsed onto the road next to them and pulled Beau from Aden’s lap and into her arms

“Thank god” she exclaimed “ Beau you must never ever do that again! Look how close you came to…oh my god….just don’t ever run away from us again!”

“I’m sorry” he whispered tears still cascading down his cheeks

“alright mate” Aden said as he stood up to go and speak with the driver of the car. He apologised and thanked him for his quick reactions and the driver was quick to reassure him that it was ok.

When he pulled the car away Belle and Beau were still sitting on the floor, Beau cradled in Belle’s arms his face hidden in her hair. Aden crouched down next to them taking hold of Beau’s hand with one of his and threading the other into Belle’s hair

“You two ok?”

They both nodded in answer

“Beau, you heard mommy right you must never do that again! I know you were upset and angry buddy but you can’t just run off like that ok?”

“Ok daddy”

“Good boy” he leant forward and kissed him closing his eyes as his lips made contact. The reality of the situation engulfed him as the thought of what could have happened made him have to fight back a wave of nausea that threatened to overwhelm him. “I love you so much Beau, If anything ever happened to you…”

“I’m sorry daddy, I wont ever run off again! That was too scary”

“Yeah it was! So what now?” Aden looked to Belle

“Now we go into the hospital. I know you hate it baby, and we hate seeing you sick but you need your chemo”

“I know mommy” Beau sighed “I’ll be good now”

“good boy” she dropped a kiss onto his head “And whilst we are in there we’ll have to find a doctor to look after your daddy too”

Beau’s head snapped up from where it was resting on Belle’s shoulder

“What’s wrong with my daddy?” his eyes quickly found Aden and moved from his face down his body widening with surprise when they reached his arms “Daddy you are hurt!”

Aden’s right arm was grazed and bleeding from a cut near to his elbow that happened as he landed on the road. He hadn’t even noticed it himself, the shock of the situation acting as an anaesthetic to the pain.

“Oh yeah” he replied “It’ll be ok”

“Rachel will look after it daddy, she’s a very good doctor! She’ll make it all clean and give you a plaster and then me and mommy can give you magic kisses so it doesn’t hurt anymore!” Beau explained as they all stood up and made there way into the hospital

“That sounds great mate, as long as you promise to hold my hand whilst they clean me up!” Aden joked

“I will daddy, you just have to be brave just like me!”

“Squirt, I don’t think I could ever be as brave as you!”

Chapter 20

Rachel came to Beau’s room as usual to set up the drip stand for his chemo.

“Rachel” Beau said almost as soon as she was over the threshold of the room “you need to look after my daddy first. We nearly got runned down and daddy hurted his arm!”

“What?” Rachel exclaimed “Aden are you ok?” she noticed the blood that was now running quite freely down his arm

“Yeah, I’m fine Rach, see to squirt first.”

“I really think….”

“Honestly Rachel” Aden interrupted “It can wait. Get Beau started first and then you can sort me out” He was conscious of the fact that Beau was so reluctant and didn’t want to delay it any longer for him

“ok, if you insist. What happened?” Rachel asked as she handed Aden a dressing to hold against his arm.

Belle filled her in as she settled Beau onto the bed and attached the necessary tubes.

“God it doesn’t bare thinking about what could have happened” she exclaimed when Belle had finished

“No it doesn’t!” Belle agreed

“Right all done sweetie” Rachel told Beau, running her hand over his head “Now let’s see to your daddy hey. You wanna help?”

“Can I?” Beau cried looking to Aden for confirmation

“Course you can, as long as Rachel doesn’t mind” Aden answered

“Well it was me who suggested it” Rachel replied with a grin at Beau as she handed him a number of packets. “Can you just hand me those when I need them please”

“Yup, I can do that” Beau beamed at Aden and Belle as he shuffled closer to where Aden was perched on the bed

Rachel pulled on a pair of gloves and gave Aden’s arm a closer inspection.

“It looks like you might need a couple of stitches. Dr Beau can you hand me one of those packets”

Beau giggled as he handed over a packet containing a large antiseptic wipe that Rachel used to clean up the wound on Aden’s arm.

“What do you think Dr, stitches?” Rachel looked to Beau who was smiling so much he looked fit to burst

Aden moved his arm so Beau could get a closer look and smiled at Belle over his head. Beau had a look of pure concentration on his face that made Aden’s heart swell with love and pride

“Yep I think it needs stitches! Are they in one of these?” he lifted the packets he was holding “None of them have Lilo on the front?”

“Lilo? What’s lilo?” Rachel asked confused

“With stitch” Beau explained “Lilo and stitch”

All 3 adults in the room burst into laughter

“No sweetie, it’s not that stitch! I need this for stitches” Rachel walked over to the counter in the room and picked up a tray bringing it over and placing it onto the table at the end of the bed.

Beau glanced at it and his eyes widened in shock

“daddy, you have to have a jection! And…..and……and Rachel! Are you going to sew daddy?!”

“Yes Beau, that’s what stitches are”

Beau’s mouth dropped open in shock and Belle and Aden both laughed at his response

“Will it hurt?” he whispered to her holding his hand up to his mouth hoping to shield his father from his words

“maybe a little bit” Rachel replied with a grin at Aden “but I think Daddy will be brave enough to handle it”

“Well Rachel, he’s not as brave as me but I’ll hold his hand so he’ll be alright”

“Thanks squirt” Aden laughed as Beau took hold of his free hand.

Belle stepped forward and placed a hand on his knee “and I’ll give you a magic kiss afterwards to stop it hurting”

“That’ll definitely work” Aden grinned although it quickly changed to a grimace when Rachel injected his arm with local anaesthetic

“Be brave daddy!” Beau encouraged bringing the smile back to Aden’s face

When Rachel was finished she took another packet from Beau, this time a dressing which he helped to stick into place.

“Thank you Beau” Rachel said when they were finished “I think you’ll make a very good doctor one day!”

“I want to be a racing car driver when I’m bigger but maybe I could be a doctor when I’m not busy”

“Sounds like a good idea squirt” Aden laughed

“When I was little like you Beau I wanted to be a ballerina” Rachel told him “look at me now, not a tutu in sight!”

“what did you want to be?” Beau looked to Belle and Aden

“Well, I wanted to be a fireman” Aden replied

Belle let out a little cough and Aden looked at her, a cheeky grin coming to his face “picturing me in the uniform huh?” he asked with a chuckle

“maybe” she laughed a slight blush coming to her cheeks that deepened when Rachel laughed too

“What about you mommy?”

“Erm… I don’t really know”

“Please say a nurse” Aden grinned “in fact, whatever you say I’m gonna be thinking nurse now so it doesn’t really matter!”

“Aden!” Belle scolded even though she was laughing

“What? Come on! I bet Rach and Tony play Doctors and nurses all the time” he said winking at Rachel with a laugh

“Emme has a nurses dress and a doctors bag in her dressy up box. Do you and Tony use them?” Beau asked innocently

“No we don’t sweetie” Rachel answered through her laughter as she tried to fix Aden with a stern look but failed miserably. “Right! Back to business, I think you’ll need a tetanus shot Aden, just to be on the safe side”

“Just to punish me more like!” he laughed

“As if I’d do that” Rachel giggled “I’ll be back in a moment”

Beau tried to hide a yawn as Rachel walked out of the room

“Tired munckin?” Belle asked

“A little bit” he answered scooting back up to the end of the bed carefully so not to pull on the tubes attached to the central line in his chest “being a doctor is very hard work!”

“Yeah it is” Belle smiled as she pulled the blanket up the bed to cover him “Why don’t I put a DVD on and you can have a little rest whilst you watch it huh?”

“Will you and daddy snuggle with me when it’s on?”

“Oh I think we could manage that! What do you reckon?” she asked Aden

“I reckon I’ll probably need a cuddle off my favourite people after Rach sticks me with that injection!”

“There you go baby, snuggling it is”

Once Rachel had left after giving him a tetanus shot Aden climbed up onto the bed and lay down. It was a bit of a squeeze for the three of them to lie on the single bed but after shuffling round for a few moments they all managed to make themselves comfortable. Beau lay practically on top of Aden, and he wrapped his arm around belle’s shoulder bringing her as close to his side as possible, especially considering her ever expanding baby bump

“So what we watching?” he asked looking at the DVD player that was positioned on the table at the foot of the bed.

“Toy story” Beau answered

“1,2 or 3?” Aden asked

“Just toy story!” Beau replied “If it was toy story 2 I’d say toy story 2 or if it was toy story 3 I’d say toy…..”

“I get the picture” Aden laughed squeezing Beau a little tighter

They watched in silence for the first few minutes of the film until Belle let out a loud gasp

“babe, you ok?” Aden asked a look of worry quickly coming to his face

Beau turned his head to her, his face a mirror image of his fathers

“Belle remained silent as a smile spread across her face. She took hold of Beau’s hand and placed it on her stomach. Aden realising what had happened placed his hand on top of Beau’s and Belle rested hers atop the both of them. After a few moments Belle got the response she was hoping for

Beau gasped as he felt a movement beneath his fingers

“Was that the baby?” he asked his voice filled with awe

“Yep” Belle answered as she grinned at Aden who was moving his hand to a different spot on her stomach to better feel the kicks “He or she wants to say hello to their big brother”

“But I can’t hear them” Beau said. He shuffled down the bed so his face was level with Belle’s bump. His parents watched him in silence, both intrigued as to what he was going to do

“Hello baby, I’m your big brother” he spoke with his lips practically touching Belle’s stomach, his tiny hands resting either side of the bump “I’m very sorry baby, I was listening to Woody on toy story and I didn’t hear you say hello but I’m listening now!” he turned his head so his ear was resting against the bump

“Oh munchkin” Belle laughed “Baby doesn’t talk to say hello like we do! They just move around and kick mommy”

“but that’s not very kind! Does it hurt you mommy?”

“Not at all sweetie, it feels really nice. You used to do it all the time”

“Did I? I don’t member”

“Yeah you did” Aden replied “every time I touched mommy’s tummy you’d give me a big kick”

“Sorry daddy”

“Hey, you don’t need to be sorry squirt. I loved to feel you kick. You see it let me and mommy know that you were ok and happy in her tummy”

“so because the baby just kicked that means it’s happy?” Beau asked

“Yeah” Aden answered placing his hand back onto Belle’s stomach and leaning over to kiss her when he felt the baby kick again “mommy does a good job of looking after her babies”

“Thank you” Belle whispered to Aden “so, shall we get back to watching this film huh? We don’t want to miss all the good bits!”

They settled back down against the pillows, this time all three of them had a hand placed on Belle’s stomach as the baby continued to beat out a steady stream of kicks against its family’s hands.

Once the chemo was over Aden carried a sleeping Beau to the car and secured him into his seat whilst Belle loaded their bags into the boot.

“babe are you ok to drive?” she asked Aden as he opened the drivers side door and was about to climb in

“Why wouldn’t I be ok to drive?” he replied looking confused

“Gee, I don’t know Aden? What about the cut you got on your arm earlier?”

“What that? It was just a scratch babe, I’m fine!”

“scratches don’t need stitches honey”

“Belle, It’s fine! Seriously, I’d actually forgotten all about it till you mentioned it!”

“Such a hero” she grinned as she climbed into the backseat next to Beau.

“You know it sweetheart” he grinned back at her as he took his seat

“You know Aden…” Belle said, all hints of joking gone from her voice as her eyes found his in the rear view mirror “..You are my hero! Besides the fact that you saved our sons life today……”

“the car stopped, it probably wouldn’t have hit him anyway” Aden interrupted her, uncharacteristically embarrassed by her declaration

“doesn’t matter” Belle replied “you saved him! Anyway, you were already my hero before that, you’ve been my hero since that day in my room at Irene’s when you told me that if you took a picture of me it would be about the person”

“I said that?” Aden asked turning around in his seat to look at her

“Yes you said that” she replied smiling at him

“Man, I was corny back then!” he laughed

“Back then? Babe, you haven’t changed a bit, you are still corny now” she insisted reaching forward to place her hand on his cheek

“This coming from the woman who’s just told me I’m her hero!”

“Yeah, so I’m corny too!” She laughed again “But only with you and only because I love you so much”

“I love you too baby” he leaned over his seat as she leant forward and their lips met in a long, loving kiss

“mmmm” Belle moaned in pleasure as they parted

“You can say that again” Aden whispered

“you’d have to kiss me again first!” she replied

“I think I can manage that”

Their lips were joined as soon as the last word left Aden’s mouth. This kiss lasted longer than the first. Aden was the first to pull away, all be it reluctantly

“as much as I’m enjoying this sweetheart, it’s killing my neck” he said referring to the twisted position he was sitting in. “and we need to get squirt home”

“hmm, how about we promise to pick up where we left off later?” Belle suggested

“that’s a promise I can definitely keep” he grinned as he turned in his seat and fastened his seat belt “I can’t believe you remember what I said the first time we kissed!” he continued as he started the car and pulled out of the car park

“oh I remember everything babe, including everything that happened before that kiss!”

“Yeah, I think most of that is best left not remembered” he laughed

They spent the rest of the journey home laughing at shared memories of their past together.

They were still laughing quietly when they pulled onto the drive but it soon stopped when they both noticed, at the same time, the figure sat huddled on their doorstep in obvious distress.

Archived