Over My Head

Guest kdag88

Hey everyone sorry for the wait on this chapter, ive been having internet issues- its driving me crazy!

Anyways, few things to say. Thankyou for the feedback its so nice to hear you're enjoying it :lol:

Italics are flashbacks in this chapter.

Other then that read, enjoy, comment K X

Chapter 3

I think the older you get the more you come to realise that more often than not life is one big struggle. And that everyone falls down sometimes it’s how you stay afloat that matters.

As they walked across the hot sand Nicole tried her best to focus on Ruby’s voice.

“So… it’s good to see you again. I know you’ve had your hands full with everything with your dad but I was getting a little worried. For a minute there I thought you were turning into an old lady!”

Ruby joked as the two girls walked along the beach appreciating yet another beautiful day in summer bay. The waves roared to the shore crashing angrily. This was the first time Ruby had seen her friend since Roman had been released from hospital, another day of Nicole avoiding her calls and she would have become more than a little worried.

“Tell me about it. One more day locked up in that house and I was gonna shrivel up like a prune. I mean seriously I could give Coleen a run for her money at this rate. Roman’s just been kind of uptight since the accident. He doesn’t like being left alone” Nicole explained vaguely, her eyes fixed on the ocean.

Although their friendship seemed unconventional to many and in some ways it had sprouted up out of nowhere she truly trusted Ruby. However that trust wasn’t enough to overcome a lifetime of hiding her emotions. So she simply ignored the tugging feeling within her that begged her to confide in her friend. She ignored the urge to tell her how terribly hard the past week had been. She buried the part of her that begged her to reveal, that although she put on a good show for the rest of the bay, assuring them she was in control of everything; in reality each day that passed was harder than the last. Roman was becoming more and more withdrawn and she was struggling to keep it together at the best of times. She ignored all those gut feelings and suppressed them successfully as years of practice had taught her to.

“How is your dad adjusting? It must be pretty tough for him?” Ruby asked sitting down on the beach running her fingers through the sand automatically.

“He’s doing ok. It’s just gonna take some time” Nicole answered robotically. She had repeated the same answer to almost everyone in summer bay.

“You know Nic, if you need anything…” Ruby began but she was interrupted before she could lay her offer out

“Rubes I’m fine”

“I know that. I just hate the thought of you going through this alone. I know how hard it can be living with someone with an illness. After everything my dad went through…” Ruby tried to explain.

“I’m not alone. I have Aden”

“Believe me that’s the only thing that’s stopped me from packing my bag and keeping you company. Although kipping on your couch did kind of put me off. Thank god for Aden, hey Nic?” Ruby said smiling warmly across at her.

“Yep. Thank god for Aden” Nicole repeated breaking eye contact with her friend, her gaze focused back out on the roaring waves. As they broke gently lapping at the shore so did her resolve. Memories of last night flooded back to her.

His bee stung lips were locked on her neck, peppering kisses across her electric skin. She moaned involuntarily, her head rocking back to lean against the wall for much needed support.

“Upstairs” He whispered into her neck lifting his lips from her skin momentarily. She was suddenly thankful that he was taking charge as she herself had felt all her coherent thoughts fall out her head the minute he kissed her.

Without waiting for a response his hands dropped to her hips lifting easily. She felt a small sense of satisfaction as he picked her up, dragging her body up against his she felt the true affect she was having on him. She bucked her hips against his obvious arousal, eliciting a throaty groan from him before locking her legs around his waist. She smiled mischievously her eyes dark with desire, taking this as his cue Aden carried her to his room. Closing the door behind him he knew that there was no going back. Looking across at half naked girl sitting on his bed, he saw a flicker of vulnerability return to her eyes. He walked across the room settling in front of her. His hand lifted her chin to look directly in her eyes.

“Aden don’t” she shook her head free the mood swiftly more sombre. She looked so beautifully dishevelled. So clearly lost.

“OK” he said simply. Instead he scooped up her petite body effortlessly and propped himself up on the bed placing Nicole square on his lap.

“Better?” he asked smirking. Her smokey blue eyes stared down at him a newfound intensity evident.

“Much. There’s just one problem. You still have way too many clothes on” she said her fingers dancing with the edge of his t shirt, pulling it over his head quickly. She gripped the head board for support as he moved beneath her, never once breaking eye contact with each other.

“How’s that?” he asked as her eyes travelled across his ripped torso absorbing every single piece of skin.

“A step in the right direction” She said biting her lip as it was the only thing stopping her from kissing him again. She ran her delicate hand across his taught stomach feeling his chest heave sharply as continued her ministrations.

Seeing her plump lip slip between her teeth and her red tongue run over it almost cautiously, Aden could no longer restrain the desire burning through him. Leaning forward he ran his tongue across the same place her own had done seconds previously and took her lips between his, kissing her letting go of everything. The tension, the worry, the anger, the betrayal, the guilt. Because the truth was he needed this just as much as she did.

“You know we shouldn’t have done that” He said the phrase almost due to necessity rather than truth, as he stared up at the ceiling.

“I know” she answered honestly from her place beside him on his bed.

“We really shouldn’t have done that” He repeated as though saying it again would somehow make it have more meaning.

“But we did” She stated impassive.

“What now?” He asked looking across at her for the first time.

Just as Nicole opened her mouth to answer a knock at the door stopped her mid breath.

“You awake mate?” Romans voice asked pushing the door open a little.

Panicked by their current state of undress, their incriminating position and suddenly drenched in guilt Aden sat up immediately signalling for Nicole not to move.

“Uhh yeah, kinda” He answered doing his best to hide his distress.

“I know it’s late. It’s just I couldn’t sleep and I realised I owe you an apology. I know I haven’t been the easiest to live with this past week, but I’m trying really I am. I know I shouldn’t take it out on you, but umm I wanted you to know how much I appreciated you being here. Particularly for Nicole she really needs you at the moment mate”

Aden shifted uncomfortably on the bed watching Roman as he stood in the doorway awkwardly.

“Uhh no worries Roman, really…it’s nothing” he said his eyes darting from Nicole back to Roman.

“Well it means a lot to me. Have you seen Nic? I owe her a truckload of apologies too; she’s not in her room…” Aden closed his eyes and swallowed the lump in his throat force fully.

“Uhh no sorry” he lied the words almost choking him.

“Ok. Get some sleep mate” He said finally leaving the room and closing the door behind him. Aden let out a laboured sigh of relief, clutching his head in his hands.

“Do you think he knew?” Nicole said jumping out of the bed struggling to track down the rest of her discarded clothing.

“Are you insane? He would have ripped my head off” he said abruptly ushering her towards the door as she pulled her red vest over her head. She scowled at him as he man handled her roughly.

“Go back to your room and don’t mention this to anyone” He said opening the door a crack and making sure the coast was clear. He guided her out of his room and on to the landing.

“Thank you captain obvious, I couldn’t have worked that out myself.” Taking one last look at each other he shook his head and closed the door behind her.

As if his life wasn’t complicated enough already.

Ruby had left over an hour ago. Nicole hadn’t moved at all. She felt strangely calm, serene here. The whirr of the sea drowning out the re-run of last night that had been running through her head for the past hour. She was so caught up in her own head space she barely noticed him sit down beside her.

“How long have you been here?” He asked staring out at small boat bobbing on the horizon.

“A while” she shrugged.

“Nic, I can’t do this to Roman” he said quietly dropping his head a little.

“Where is he today? You didn’t leave him alone did you?” her voice laced with concern.

“He’s in the city with Miles. Having more scans” he answered softly.

She nodded her head, her eyes still fixed on the ocean.

“Nicole did you hear what I said. I can’t betray him like that…” he stressed as she continued to watch the rise and fall of the waves unmoving. His thoughts floated back to the day he moved into Roman’s, the warning he had received and the condition on his living there. Leave Nicole alone.

“I heard you” she said clearly.

“Well?” He asked surprised, expecting a more dramatic reaction he had become accustomed to in his time living with her.

“What do you want me to say Aden? Do you want me to be angry? Say you took advantage of me? Cry and tell you how much you hurt me? Well I’m not gonna do that, because it would be a lie. I don’t ever want to lie to you.”

“I don’t know what I expected. I just needed to tell you that we can’t do this. It can’t happen again” he explained sounding confused; he had obviously been torturing himself about this.

“And now you’ve told me” she said coldly turning to look at him for the first time, her face devoid of any emotion.

“But there’s something you need to realise. It’s just gonna keep happening until you really don’t want it anymore. Not even you can stop fate Aden.” She told him condescendingly.

“Nicole I mean it” he said bluntly, grabbing her arm to stop her from turning her face back to sea.

“I know you do. But you’re lying to yourself” she said wisely. She could see him prickle next to her, seizing the chance to make him uncomfortable she ran her fingertip up and down his arm carelessly watching goose bumps form on his skin.

“Oh yeah and how’d you work that out?” he spat out; annoyed by the fact his body was betraying his rational mind.

“Because I know how your mind works. It’s just like mine. You’ll realise that soon” with that she quickly withdrew her hand ignoring the immediate feeling of loss and stood, brushed the sand of her electric blue mini dress and took off down the beach. He stood up.

“I’m still in love with her. You know that right?” he asked screwing his face up in confusion.

“I’m still in love with him” She said smiling sadly.

“Some people just aren’t meant to be”

• 4 weeks later...

Archived