Martha/Hugo

I really didn’t like this pairing initially; in fact I think it hated it. The whole concept bugged me and I couldn’t follow the storyline without wanting to strangle both of them for whinging so much. But in the last few of weeks/month and a half they’ve really grown on me. I was a big fan of Jack and Martha but I was honestly sick and tired of hearing his name over and over and over again. In soap time I think Martha spent enough time grieving him. The standard seems to be around 6 months. Leah had feelings for Miles around that time which she would have acted on had it not been for Kirsty, Sally moved on with Brad around that time, so did Hayley with Scott, and by the time Beth’s one year anniversary came around Tony had had a string of one night stands, been with Jazz and was engaged to Rachel. I’m glad Martha didn’t do the whole self destructive thing Aden’s doing, she’s been there already.

Anyway, I think the main reason I warmed to Martha/Hugo was probably because Hugo’s grown as a character. Blind Freddy can see he’s hiding something but he’s shown development from not taking responsibility of his brothers and running away every time something goes wrong. I hate to say it but he shown more development as a character in 6 months than Jack showed in 3 years, AND Bernard has always been a fantastic and believable actor. The main reason I like them at the moment though is because they have a positive effect on each other. Hugo also seems to have a big of a edge which matches Martha's not-so-perfect character too. So many of the other characters seem to make each other so miserable and they barely have any fun. If they didn’t explicitly state it I wouldn’t even know they were couples and not just acquaintances and friends because they don’t act like it. Hugo is great with her stubbornness/short fuse and she’s very good with making him take responsibility and helping out with his family. They have FUN- the show needs more of it.

you have totally summed up how I feel about them

Unfortunately it really does seem like they are angling for him to be the 'baddy' in the mystery so i really hope thats just a red herring

Although, i really can't figure out who else it can be - there aren't exactly many other characters to choose from!

Edited by AnnaB

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No offense to any of the Martha/Hugo fans, but I can not stand them, but I think that's because I hate Martha.

I could stand it when her and Jack were together, because he was so awesome, but I haven't warmed to Hugo during his time in Summer Bay

I think I've only enjoyed one thing that he said: He's all over me like a fat kid on a cupcake, and then he went back to normal :(

No offense to any of the Martha/Hugo fans, but I can not stand them, but I think that's because I hate Martha.

I could stand it when her and Jack were together, because he was so awesome, but I haven't warmed to Hugo during his time in Summer Bay

I think I've only enjoyed one thing that he said: He's all over me like a fat kid on a cupcake, and then he went back to normal :(

No offence taken. You are entitled to your opinion. I could not stand Belle. Belle could not be happy with just one man.

I really don't like this couple, Martha and Hugo doesn't suit. I wasn't a fan of JM, but I think they were better together than Hugo and Martha. No offense Hugo is such a bogan :lol:

No offense taken! btw, if it helps Bernard Curry was Jack on Satisfaction.. his previous stunts makes them all the more exciting to watch! No wonder Martha's past comes back to haunt her.

Tuesday <3 was hot, "steady on tiger :wink:

I just don't want to see Martha broken hearted again. It's like deja vu. I actually think they're quite sweet together and he does seem to genuinly really love her. I think she likes that he's part of Jack's family and in that sense she'll always have that connection with him. And i do like the fact that they can laugh together and have fun - but obviously that's becasue as a couple they haven't really had any real drama's to deal with, it's all be pretty light for them. I;m sure in the coming months things will heat up for them though.

• 2 weeks later...