Second Love

Guest Red Ranger 1

Thanks for your comments, hope you like this.

CHAPTER 21

Aden came bursting through the hospital doors, looking round for anything that would let him know where to go.He saw the slight uniformed figure standing in reception and was grateful to see it was someone he recognised.“Ruby!What’s going on?”

Ruby shrugged helplessly.“I don’t know, I haven’t heard anything since they took them both away.”

“But what happened?”

“We were in the squad car and we just came across them, in the car, both of them unconscious.”

“They told me there’d been an accident.”

“It looked like it but there didn’t seem to be any other vehicles involved.It looked as though Sean just lost control.”

“Sean was driving?”Aden wasn’t sure why that made him nervous but somehow it did.

Ruby shrugged.“He was in the driver’s seat, they were both out cold.I don’t see how they could have done a switch.”

Rachel came out of one of the treatment rooms and Aden and Ruby hurried over to her.“Nicole.How is she?”Aden asked.

“She had a nasty bang on the head and she’s still unconscious,”Rachel admitted,“But we’ve given her a complete check over and we’re confident that both Nicole and the baby are fine.”

Aden stopped, staring at her, not sure if he’d just heard what he thought he had.“Baby?”

It was Rachel’s turn to stare.“I’m sorry, I thought you knew.”

“I’m not even sure she knew.She’s pregnant?”In spite of everything, Aden suddenly felt a warm glow inside him.

“What about Sean?”asked Ruby and Aden felt a pang of guilt as he realised he should have asked the question.

“He’s already come round,”Rachel replied,“And it doesn’t look like there’s going to be any permanent damage.”She handed Ruby a piece of paper.“But I think you need to take a look at this.”

Aden saw the expressions on Rachel and Ruby’s faces as they studied the paper and suddenly started to get a sinking feeling, the same feeling he’d got when he heard Sean was driving.“What is it?”

Ruby looked torn, wondering whether it was her place to divulge the information.“It’s Sean’s tox screen,” she admitted at last.

Aden took the paper from her and scanned the contents.“High levels of opiates.”He looked up at them in horror.“Sean was on drugs?”

Sean was sitting up in bed when Aden came in, a large plaster on the side of his head.Aden paused in the doorway, not sure he’d be able to control his temper if he had to speak to him now.Sean flashed him a grin. “Sorry about pranging your car, little brother, but hey, no harm done.Be up and about in no time.”

“And what about Nicole?”Aden asked coldly.

“Oh, yeah, how is she?”

“She’ll be fine.No thanks to you.”Aden held up the sheet of paper.

He saw the sudden alarm in Sean’s eyes, chasing away any lingering doubts about his guilt.“What’s that?”

“It’s your tox screen.You know, the one that told the doctors about those drugs in your system?”

“Aden…you need to get rid of that quickly.If the police see it…”

“They’re already seen it.”Aden screwed the paper up into a ball and hurled it as his brother.“For god’s sake, Sean, you picked up Nicole in that condition.You could have killed her, you idiot!”

“Look, come on, little brother, I didn’t mean to harm her, you can’t sell me out for her…”

Aden was across the room in a few short steps, his fists balled, leaning in close to his brother, as close as he could get without touching him.“And what about the baby?”

He was satisfied to see the shock in Sean’s eyes.“Baby?”

“Yeah.Your niece or nephew, the one she’s carrying.”

“Aden, I didn’t…I didn’t know…is it all right?”

“It will be.Once you’re out of its life, out of all our lives.Don’t even think about asking me to cover for you this time, Sean, because I am way past caring.”

“You can’t…you can’t just turn your back on me, Aden, we’re family.”

“Nicole and the baby are my family now, Sean.You’re nothing to me.You’re going back to jail and as far as I’m concerned you can stay there until you rot.”He turned and saw Ruby in the doorway.He picked up the screwed up tox report and thrust it into her hand on his way out.“Do whatever you want with him.”

He’d been told that she was going to be all right, told by all sorts of people.But all the same, he was relieved when she opened her eyes and focused on him, that smile on her face.“Hey there, handsome.”

He grasped her hand, pressing it to his face, and smiled.“Hi, princess.”

“Wow, I feel like I’ve been in a cocktail shaker.”He could see the thought processes in her eyes, as the memories came back.“Aden, Sean.I think he…”

“He took something.Yeah.”

“What’s going to happen to him?”

Aden shrugged.“Don’t care.Ruby’s with him now.She can throw the book at him for all I care.I just want to make sure you’re all right.”

“And am I?”

“Well, Rachel seems to think so and she usually knows her stuff.”Aden looked at her cautiously, wondering how to broach the subject.“Nic…did you know there’s two of you in there?”

Nicole looked around confused.“What, in the bed?”

“Even nearer than that.”

She continued to look confused for a moment and then it clicked.“No way.”He saw her hand move to her stomach, as though trying to feel its precious contents.“But I can’t be, I had my period…”She stopped. “Actually, come to think of it, that was quite a while ago…”

Aden shook his head wearily.“Only you, princess.”

“Well, I’ve had a lot to think about lately.Wow.”She looked at him, suddenly worried.“So…what does this mean for us?”

He smiled and gently kissed her.“I guess it means we’re stuck with each other.”

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I expected that but I didn't, I thought Nicole might be pregnant but I didn't think you'd make her pregnant by Aden. That's assuming that she is...

Okay, I have to ask...who else do you think it is?

Anyway, thanks for your comments, everyone, and hope you like this one.

CHAPTER 22

Even after all Rachel’s assurances, Aden and Nicole still hadn’t been entirely convinced that nothing was wrong.So she’d arranged for Nurse Julie to take an ultrasound machine into Nicole’s room to provide them with the evidence.They sat, Nicole in bed, Aden holding her hand, watching as an indecipherable blob appeared on the screen.

“There you go,”Julie assured them,“All perfectly healthy.”

Nicole was gaping at the screen in amazement.“Wow.That’s really inside me?”

“It certainly is.”

“And I really put it there?”Aden asked.

Julie smiled slightly.“Well, there’s only one person in this room who can tell you that.”

Aden glanced at Nicole who sighed.“Yes, Aden, you put it there.”

“Yeah, okay,”he reassured her,“Just needed to hear someone say it.”

Nicole looked back at Julie.“And you’re sure there’s nothing wrong?I mean, the crash…”

“Nicole, you’re expecting a perfectly healthy baby,”Julie told her.

Nicole looked at Aden, nodding towards the monitor.“We did that.”

He nodded, scarcely able to believe it himself.“Yeah.”

Ruby suddenly appeared in the doorway, a concerned look on her face.“Julie, do you know where Sean Jefferies is?”

Julie looked confused by the question.“Isn’t he in his room?”

“No, I’ve just looked in there.”

“Well, I’m sure Doctor Armstrong wasn’t planning to discharge him…”

“I thought you were with him?”Aden asked.

“I took a statement from him then went to phone the station,”Ruby explained,“When I got back he was gone.”She noticed Aden’s expression and looked slightly bashful.“Well, he wasn’t technically under arrest…”

“I can notify hospital security if you like,”Julie suggested.

Ruby nodded, following her from the room.“Please.”

Nicole glanced at Aden.“You’re worried about him, aren’t you?”

Aden shrugged.“We’re better off without him.”

“You’re still worried though.”

He sighed.“I guess…I don’t want him to get into any more trouble than he has to.”

She nodded towards the door.“Go.”

“You’re sure?”

“Yes.Go.”

He kissed her gently.“Thanks, Nic.”

Aden wasn’t sure what made him try the house first.If Sean had been hiding, it would surely have been the last place he’d go.Yet something told him that a Jefferies would never do the sensible thing.And sure enough, when he opened the door, there he was, sitting slumped against the far wall.

For a moment, Aden thought that something had happened in the crash, that Sean had had an injury they’d missed at the hospital and had collapsed.But then, as he got closer, he saw the tiny plastic bag lying next to him.It was empty and he had no doubt as to what its contents had been.

“God, Sean, what have you done?”he gasped as he knelt by his brother.

Sean turned to look at him, still seeming to have enough faculties left to know what was going on.That was good, Aden thought.It meant the overdose couldn’t have been that long ago.“Sorry, little brother,”he murmured,“Wasn’t meant to be like this.”

Aden put a consoling hand on his arm while he frantically searched his pockets for his phone.“Just hang in there, Sean.”

“I just wanted to look after you, Aden.That’s all I ever wanted to do.Like I should have done back then. Like a big brother’s supposed to.But you don’t need me anymore.”

“That’d not true, Sean,”Aden told him urgently,“I need you to stay with me, okay?”

Sean touched his arm in a way that suggested it was meant to be a friendly punch, except in his weakened state it just came across as a light tap.“You’ve got a good life here, Aden.Don’t mess it up like the rest of us have.”

Aden had finally found his mobile, dialling 000 then holding it to his ear.“You’re going to be all right, Sean,”he told his brother before, to his relief, he heard the call connect at the other end.“Ambulance.”

CHAPTER 23

Aden had insisted that Nicole sit down and not move a muscle as soon as she got home, a state of affairs that she was hoping wasn’t going to last the whole nine months.Nevertheless, she’d taken her place on the couch and then listened in as he made the phone call to the hospital.“All right, thanks,”she heard him say, before he replaced the receiver.

“How’s Sean?”she asked.

Aden sighed.“Rachel says he’s going to be fine, physically.They’re moving him to the psychiatric ward.”

“Well, I guess they’ll give him the help he needs.”

“Yeah but…I should have realised just how badly what happened to us had screwed him up.”He sat down heavily next to her.“Just like I should have realised you were nearly two months pregnant.”

She smiled slightly.“Guess it must have happened while we were ill.”She noticed his mood was still sombre and gently touched his hand.“You probably couldn’t have done anything for him.”

“People did for me.I could have ended up like him.I probably would have done if you and your dad hadn’t come along.”

Nicole appreciated the omission but it was too big for her to just ignore.“And Belle,”she added quietly. She noticed the almost apologetic look on Aden’s face as he leaned forward, trying to avoid her gaze.“She was a big part of your life, Aden, there’s no point pretending otherwise.”

He looked round at her, apologies gone.“She was,”he confirmed,“And she played a big part in me turning my life around.Maybe even the biggest.But…you were a friend to me when I didn’t have many of those and you stuck by me when most people would have run a mile.I’m not sure if I ever told you how much that meant to me.”

She rubbed his shoulder gently.“Well, I guess you did the same for me.I mean, before I came here, if I wanted a guy to like me, all I had to do was sleep with him.But then I met you and Dad…”

“And Geoff?”Aden suggested playfully.

Nicole gave him an understanding smile.“And Geoff.And I realised if I wanted you all to like me, I needed to become a person that was worth liking.And I did want you to like me, Aden.”

He shrugged nonchalantly.“Took me a while but I got there in the end.What about you?”

She sighed.“Yes, I like you, Aden.In fact…”She hesitated.

“Yes?”he prompted.

“Well, you know what you said to Sean in the kitchen?Well, I feel the same way.”

Aden rolled his eyes.“What, that’s all I get, is it?”

“Oh, you expect me to say it, do you?”

“Well, I did.”

“You said it to Sean.I just happened to be in earshot at the time.”

Aden straightened up, facing her.“Okay, we’ll say it together.Deal?”

Nicole linked her finger with his.“Deal.”

“On three then.One…two…three.”

“I love you.”

Aden breathed a sigh of relief.“I was sure you were gonna back out.”

Nicole looked at him in surprise.“So…if you didn’t think I was going to say it, why did you?”

“I guess…I needed you to hear it anyway.”

She smiled.“Me too.”

Nicole had only been back at college for ten minutes when she heard the running footsteps and her name being called.She turned round, putting on her best smile.“What’s up, Annie?”

“Just wanted to tell you I’m glad you’re back.”

“Yeah, I seem to be spending a bit too much time in my sickbed lately.”

“Is it true you’re pregnant?”

She sighed.“Come right out and say it, why don’t you, Annie?”

“Sorry.So is it?”

Nicole linked arms with the younger girl as they made their way across the courtyard.“Yes, it’s true.And before you ask, yes, Aden’s the father.”

“I didn’t think he wasn’t.”

“No?Guess it must just be my reputation.”She shrugged.“Well, guess I’m going to have to get my study in quickly before the baby comes.”

“Maybe that’s what Janice wants to talk to you about.”

Nicole stopped suddenly, turning to face Annie.Janice was one of her tutors.In fact, she was the tutor as far as the fashion course was concerned.“Janice?”

“It was on the noticeboard.Didn’t you see it?”

“Annie, I’ve only just got here.”

“She wants you in her office at eleven o’clock.”Annie noticed her worried look.“I’m sure it’ll be all right.”

“Um, yeah, of course,”Nicole agreed.But she didn’t believe it herself.In her experience, being invited to someone’s office never turned out all right…

As ever, thank you for all your comments and, as ever, hope you like this one.

CHAPTER 24

“Ah, Miss Franklin.Glad you could make it.”

Nicole had expected a fashion lecturer to be young and, well, fashionable.Meeting Janice had put paid to such ideas.The woman was in her 40s, with dark horn-rimmed spectacles and a fashion style which had probably been dated a good decade before Nicole was born.She reluctantly consented to her students addressing her by her first name but with an air that suggested she saw it as some horrible modern thing that she hoped would pass as soon as possible.

“I, um, got your message,”Nicole explained nervously as she sat down on the other side of the desk to Janice.

“Yes.I’m glad.”Janice started leafing through papers as though searching for something.

“If this is about me being away again, I’m definitely going to make the work up,”Nicole told her hurriedly.

Janice paused in her search to look at her.“I have seen your doctor’s report.From what I gather, your first absence was a result of a severe bout of flu which caused you to require bed rest, your second as a result of being involved in a car accident.I don’t see how any blame can be attributed to you for either of them.”

“Oh good.Thanks.”Nicole thought again, still uncertain as to the reason for this strange meeting.“If it’s about me being pregnant…”

Janice had resumed her search but again looked up sharply.“You are?”

“Um, yes.Seven weeks.”Nicole caught the hint of disapproval in Janice’s eyes.“My boyfriend’s really pleased,”she added.At least that way she wouldn’t be marked out as a single mother as well as an unmarried one…

Janice waved a hand airily.“Well, I doubt it’ll make any difference.No, it’s about your coursework.”

Given everything that had happened over the past few weeks, Nicole had forgotten about the portfolio she’d submitted.“What did I get?”

“A-.You might have got an A but some of the examiners found your designs a little…daring.”She finally seemed to locate what she was looking for.“Ah-ha!There we are.”She pulled out a brown envelope and held it out to Nicole.“Take a look at that.”

Nicole stared at the envelope and the logo on it in astonishment, astonishment that only increased when she realised it was addressed to her…

Aden had only meant to drop in at the Diner for coffee on his way home but Olivia had been on duty and she’d insisted on a long and detailed analysis of the team’s tactics for the next game, including all the bits that she thought he’d got wrong.By the time he’d finally managed to pry himself away from her, he found two other familiar figures blocking his exit.“Hi, Aden,”Annie greeted him.

Aden sighed.Sometimes getting away from Annie could be almost as difficult as getting away from Olivia.“Are you two sure you’ve moved away?”

“We’re having dinner with Miles and Kirsty,”Jai explained.He nodded at Annie.“Someone wanted to drop in and get them a cake.”

“Are you going to see Nicole?”Annie asked.

“Well, we live together,”Aden pointed out,“so probably.”

“Tell her congratulations from us then.”

Aden looked from one to the other, not sure what the conversation was about.“Congratulations?”

“Have you seen her?”

“Not since this morning.”

“Oh.”Annie looked embarrassed.“Just…forget I said anything.”

They both made to move past him.“Congratulations for what?”Aden insisted, causing them to reluctantly stop in their tracks.

“She probably wants to tell you herself,”Jai suggested.

“She’s been offered an apprenticeship,”Annie blurted out,“At one of the top fashion houses in the country. Her tutor showed them some of her designs.”

Aden grinned.“Really?Maybe I should pick up one of those cakes for her.”

“Yeah, we’re all going to miss her.”

Aden stopped at Annie’s comment, unsure if the worry he was suddenly feeling was misplaced or not. “You mean because she’s not gonna be at college anymore, right?”

Annie seemed to be floundering, afraid of saying the wrong thing again.Jai looked at her and sighed before giving Aden his answer.“The job’s in Brisbane.”

On the way home, Aden had felt every emotion he could think of:frustration, anger, sadness and finally resigned acceptance.That morning he’d been in a relationship with someone he loved and they were expecting a child together.Now…He couldn’t feel all that surprised.He’d lost his family and then Roman. Even Belle had left in the end.Maybe it was inevitable that Nicole was going to go too.But did that have to be the end?All sorts of thoughts started flashing through his mind, half-conceived ideas for how they could still stay together.The problem was he couldn’t see any of them working.

“Hey there,”she greeted him when he came in the door, planting a kiss on his lips.

“Hey,”he returned, trying to smile.But he couldn’t manage it.

Nicole picked up on his bad mood straightaway.“What’s wrong?”

He considered coming up with some story, pretending it wasn’t happening, so at least they’d have a bit longer with everything all right.But in the end, he decided to be honest.“I heard about the job.”

“Oh.”She looked down, avoiding his gaze.“How?”

“Annie told me.”

She smiled slightly.“Guess I should have known.”

He took her hand and led her towards the sofa.“Nic…I don’t want us to break up over this.”

“Neither do I…”

“I dunno, maybe it won’t last for long, maybe you can get a job back here after a bit.Or maybe we can try the long distance thing, weekend visits or whatever.I just think…we owe it to this kid to try.”

He was surprised to see a touch of disappointment in her eyes.“Just the kid?”

Aden sighed.All right, time to put it all out there.He didn’t have that much to lose.“Not just for the kid, for us.It’s been a long time since I’ve felt like this about anyone and…if we don’t even try to make it work…”

“Aden.”He noticed the smile on her face, the completely genuine smile.“I’ve decided to turn the offer down.”

“What?”He looked at her in astonishment.“But the way Annie was talking, it sounded like your dream job.”

“It is.But…like you say, this is about us.All three of us.This baby needs its father and…and I kinda need him too.We’ve got a chance to be a family here, Aden, and that’s worth more than any job, dream or otherwise.”

He drew her into his arms and hugged her.Hugged them both.His family.

He felt proud that Nicole had come up with a solution where he could not.But he couldn’t help thinking he should have come up with a better one.One that didn’t require her to make such a big sacrifice.

only just started reading this and I've gotten to page 4, but I've gotta run and get ready for a trad seisiún now BUT I will return! :D

Thanks, Symph, and welcome to the party.Hopefully you'll reach this point soon...

By the way, this is now officially the longest story I've written on here in terms of chapters.Thanks for your support, everyone!

CHAPTER 25

“So Annie said you’d had some good news,”Kirsty commented when Nicole popped into the Diner the next day.

It took Nicole a moment to realise what she was referring to.After all, things had moved on for her since then.“Oh, you mean, the job offer?”

“Yeah, apparently it’s one of the best in the country.Not that Annie could remember their name, of course.”

“It doesn’t matter, I’ve decided not to take it.”

She saw the look of surprise on Kirsty’s face.“What?Why?”

“Well, Aden, the baby…it just doesn’t seem the right time, that’s all.”

Kirsty’s surprise had changed to concern.“Nic, you don’t want to give up on your dream.I mean, I love Ollie and Ben, and Miles, but if they were all I had in my life, I’d go mad.You need something for yourself.”

“She’s got a point, darl,”Irene added as she came over to join them,“Giving up your dream sounds like a pretty surefire way of making yourself miserable.”

“So what do you think I should do?”Nicole asked, annoyed,“Leave Aden, travel six hundred miles away and bring up a baby by myself whilst impressing the top designers in the country in my spare time?”

“Of course not, love, we’re not saying that.”

“We just want you to be happy,”Kirsty added.

“I am happy,”Nicole protested,“Maybe that job would be like a dream come true.But having a guy that loves me and a baby, that’s a dream come true as well and I’m not going to lose it.”

“We can see that, love,”Irene agreed,“And that’s good.But you don’t want to wake up in ten, twenty years’ time and regret the things you missed out on.”

“I won’t,”Nicole insisted.But after listening to them, she wasn’t quite as sure.

“So what’s your problem?”Miles asked as he watched Aden finishing off his second pint.

Aden slammed his glass down on the bar, gesturing for Alf to pour him another one.“I just told you. Nicole’s been offered this really great job and she’s turned it down to stay here with me.”

Miles mulled this over for a moment.“So what’s your problem?”

“That’s my problem.”

“A pretty girl loves you and wants to be with you.Yeah, I can see why that would be a problem.”

“The problem is that she’s given up this great opportunity for us to be together.”He took a large gulp of his third pint.“And I haven’t.”

Miles gave another of his thoughtful pauses.“Is this an equality thing?”

Aden looked at him suspiciously.“What do you mean?”

“Well, Nicole’s made this big gesture for you to be together and you haven’t.And it doesn’t mean you’re any less committed than she is, it just means you haven’t…stood on the school roof and shouted it to the world or something.”

Aden nodded.“Yeah, that’s it.”

“So, you haven’t really got a problem ’cos you both want to be together and you both want to do something to prove it.All you need to do is find a really big gesture, as big as hers, so you can prove it to yourself and then everything’ll be fine again.”He paused before adding,“Probably best if it doesn’t actually involve the school roof.”

Aden finished off his drink in one go before turning to Miles.“I’ve thought of something.”

“That’s good.”

“You’re not going to like it.”

Nicole was staring at the empty pad in front of her when Aden came in through the door, looking as though he’d made the journey home in a hurry.“Have you turned down the job yet?”he asked.

“Not exactly,”Nicole told him,“I went to see Janice this morning, told her that I wanted to, but she said I had to write to them to say I don’t want it.”Which was why she’d been staring at the writing pad since she’d got home, trying to work out what to say.Her conversation with Irene and Kirsty had just confused her further.She wanted to stay here, with Aden, for them to be a family.But did she really want to shut this door completely?

“Good.”Aden sat down next to her and gently prised the pad from her grasp.“Because I’ve resigned.”

It wasn’t, by any stretch of the imagination, what Nicole had been expecting him to say.“What?”

“I’ve resigned.I told Miles just now and he told me to have it in writing on Martin’s desk in the morning. So I guess I’m the one who needs to write a letter.”

“Aden, what has you resigning got to do with anything?”

“Because it means we can go to Brisbane together.”

Nicole shook her head.“Aden, are you drunk?”

“Probably.But when I hand this in in the morning, I’ll be sober.”

She looked at him, looked in his eyes, and through the alcohol haze she could see complete clarity there. “Oh my god, you’re serious.”

“Totally, princess.”

“But everything here, you really want to give it all up?”

“Hey, anyone can coach the school hockey team.And they have sports teachers in Brisbane, I’m sure I can find a job.But you…you need to go there.And that means I need to go there.”He grinned.“All three of us.”

She let the smile spread across her face as she realised that everything he’d said make sense.“You know I love you, right?”

He nodded, the grin still in place.“Yeah, well, you’re only human.”

She punched him in the arm in mock annoyance.Then followed it up with a kiss.

Okay, I've just caught up with this entire fic, and I think it's wonderful! Aden and Nicole together actually make a really good couple- or at least how you write them! I like Sean's character...it just made Aden and Nicole stronger! And the baby...too cute! Great fic!

Wow, another latecomer!Very latecomer since this is the last chapter, guys.Welcome aboard.And by the way...

The idea of geoff coming back would be good! (i really can't handle anything not geoff/nicoley!)

Don't say I never give you anything.It was in and out a few times but in the end it came under the banner of "I like it so it goes in."

Hope you all enjoy this.

CHAPTER 26

If Aden and Nicole had hoped their last night in the Bay would be quiet, they were to be disappointed.Miles had insisted on marking the occasion with a special dinner.The six of them crowded around the table at the caravan park:Miles and Kirsty, Tony and Rachel, Aden and Nicole.There was a cheerful atmosphere, tinged with sadness that their time there would soon be over.

“So, are you going to miss this place?”Kirsty asked.

“I think it’s just starting to sink in,”Nicole admitted.

“I’ve never really known anywhere else,”Aden added.

“Hey, this is a new start for both of you,”Rachel told them warmly,“You need to be excited about it.”

“We are excited,”Nicole assured her,“And a little bit terrified.”

“Well, for what it’s worth, I’ll think you’ll make good parents.And I think you’ll make something of yourselves wherever you are.”

“Thanks, Rach,”Aden responded.

“Course, not that any of us thought that when we first met you both,”Miles added.

“Heading for a lifetime of trouble,”agreed Tony.

“In detention every week, obviously heading for the dole queue…”

“Or an approved school.”

“Actually…I think that’s probably what Mr.Fisher thought about me when we first met,”Kirsty admitted.

Aden cleared his throat.“Seriously though, I mean…I know I caused a bit of trouble for both of you when we first met and you know I’m sorry about that, right?”

Tony clapped him on the shoulder, smiling at him fondly.“Mate, that was all forgotten a long time ago.”

“It’s been a privilege to know you both,”agreed Miles,“In fact…”

“Oh, here we go,”sighed Kirsty.

“Should have gagged them when we had the chance,”Rachel confirmed.

“If you’ll all charge your glasses and an orange juice for the one with twins,”Miles continued as though he hadn’t been interrupted.

Aden looked worriedly at Nicole.“Twins?”

She smiled enigmatically.“Wouldn’t you like to know…”

“I just want to say a toast,”Miles carried on unabated,“We’ve got two young people here who’ve been part of this community for some years now and I hope they feel that they’ve become a very welcome and much loved part of it.And we’re all going to miss you.So, here’s to you, Aden and Nicole.”

“Aden and Nicole,”echoed the other three.

Aden drained his glass before looking back at Nicole.“Seriously, though, you’re not really expecting twins?”

She sighed.“Aden, you saw the ultrasound…”

The bags were packed and loaded into the car and they were all set to leave.Provided, that was, that Aden could persuade Olivia to release him from her hug and stop babbling.“I promise that we’re going to win the championship this year, I’ll tell all the girls that we’ve got to do it for you, I’ll send you the clippings, school’s not gonna be the same without you…”

Aden gently prised her away from him and ruffled her hair.“I know you will, Livvy.Just remember to keep your stick straight.”

Irene moved Olivia out of the way in the unobtrusive way only a surrogate mother could manage and took a deep breath.“You know, there was a time when I never imagined I’d hear myself saying this…but I am really going to miss you.”

Aden nodded and hugged her.“Thanks for giving me a chance.”

“Love, it was a pleasure.”

He glanced at Alf, who was standing next in line.“You as well.And I’m sorry about all that business with Sean…”

Alf waved a hand dismissively.“Hey, I came out of it all right.He might not have been there very long but your brother was a pretty okay worker.In fact, if he ever sorts himself out, I might just find it within myself to give him another go.”

“I’ll tell him that next time I speak to him.”Aden shook his hand.“Thanks, Mr.Stewart.”

Nicole was hanging onto Ruby and Annie in a group hug.“God, I can’t believe this is the last time we’re all going to be together.”

“Hey, maybe we’ll come up and see you some time,”Ruby suggested.

Annie smiled.“And if you need someone to model your outfits...”

“You as a catwalk model?”Nicole asked,“I think that one’s a bit beyond my imagination.”She looked at Ruby.“You just make sure you keep the streets of Summer Bay clean.”She looked back at Annie.“And you…try and be bad sometimes, okay?It can be fun.”She glanced past her to Jai.“Make her.”

“I’ll do my best.”

“Does that count for me too?”asked a familiar voice.

In the midst of all the sea of faces, Nicole hadn’t seen him there.“Geoff!”She flung her arms around him. “What are you doing here?”

“Well, I was due to come round and see Annie and she told me all this was happening…it seemed like a good time.”

“How’s…Claudia and the family?”

“Good.”Geoff nodded over to where her boyfriend was shaking hands with Miles and Tony and sharing a last hug with Rachel, all the time casting an anxious look in their direction.“How’s Aden?”

“Good, yeah.I mean, I wasn’t really expecting all this to happen but…”

“I know, Nic,”he replied gently,“I’ve seen the way the two of you look at each other.”

“Kind of like how we used to, huh?”She saw his embarrassed look and raised her hand to stop him answering.“Yeah, I know.Long time ago.”She was surprised to find tears rolling down her cheeks and hastily dabbed at them with a handkerchief, wiping her face clean.“How do I look?”

“Happy.”

She nodded.“I am.”She shook his hand…and then kissed him on the cheek.“Bye, Geoff.”

“So what did Bible Boy have to say?”Aden asked as she got into the car next to him.

“Oh, just that he’s left his family, left the church and wants to be with me,”Nicole replied airily,“So you’d better get out of the car, I’m taking him to Brisbane instead.”

Aden smiled indulgently.“Okay.But if that was my ex out there handing out hugs, you’d be the one with green eyes.”

“I’ve only got eyes for you, mister.”She kissed him gently.“Now get your seat belt on and let’s get out of here.”

“Yes, Mum.”

Nicole rolled her eyes.“Okay, you realise that’s even more inappropriate now?”

“Why?That’s what you are.”

They stopped for a moment, looking at each other, perhaps realising for the first time just how much their lives had changed…just how much they’d continue to do so.Then she shook her head.“Just drive, Dad.”

“Okay.Where to?”

She smiled.“The rest of our lives.”

Comments

Archived