Is Jai a pointless character?

Guest Laura

Is Jai a pointless character?  

78 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I voted for no but my answer would be sometimes. It really depends on what he does and how that affects other characters in the episode. When he first came to the show I did not like him. Miles went out of his way to help him and he just seemed to be ignoring him which I thought was quite rude and that incident when he jumped into the water and pretended to be drowning wasn’t his best moment.

As I said on another thread for most of his time he’s just been part of the furniture and his character hasn’t really affected the course of any events. Recently he has been better though, playing the agony uncle for Ruby and Annie and the stuff with Trey was ok too.

I have to agree with the remarks about the actor’s ability. Again when he first started on the show to me he seemed like a zombie. And there has been times where I felt he simply hasn’t shown enough genuine emotion in some of his scenes.

A lot of the people here have mentioned the fact that he’s underused however characters like Irene and Leah are too and they manage to come off better in my opinion, probably because they actively support some of the other characters a lot better.

Characters like Irene and Leah are underused
:blink: Umm correct me if I'm wrong but Irene at the moment has a big storyline which involves Lou's murder, we've had loads of jail scenes with her and she's turned to the booze. - Doesn't seem under-used to me.

And Leah, we had the whole Roman/Leah love thing and the accident which left Roman blind; loads of scenes of Leah by his bedside in the hospital. - Doesn't seem under used to me!

Where as Jai IS under-used, characters like Hugo and Martha are taking up too much of our screens!

I think Jai's character is yet to prove himself.

I do agree with some, at the beginning I didn't warm to him too well but now that he has been in it for awhile I've actually taken to his character; he does say funny stuff sometimes.

However he is under-used because usually H&A use the older teens.

Jai's one of those characters which is still growing into himself, I think there is potential for his character and I'd love to see lots of storylines which involve Jai.

Maybe uncovering the 'revealing' film of Nicole for his film project will be a new storyline in it's self.

I hope his character sticks around.

I'd love to see him still in the bay when he's in his 20's. :P

I think he meant before. In 2008 we hardly saw them do anything especially Leah who spent the whole time in the diner.

But I agree about wanting to see him in the Bay in his 20's. That'd be interesting.

:blink: Umm correct me if I'm wrong but Irene at the moment has a big storyline which involves Lou's murder, we've had loads of jail scenes with her and she's turned to the booze. - Doesn't seem under-used to me.

And Leah, we had the whole Roman/Leah love thing and the accident which left Roman blind; loads of scenes of Leah by his bedside in the hospital. - Doesn't seem under used to me!

Where as Jai IS under-used, characters like Hugo and Martha are taking up too much of our screens!

This is only a recent thing. The story with Irene has only been on for a week in the UK. And again the stuff with Leah and Roman was only within the last 3-4 weeks and I don’t remember “loads” of scenes as you say. There were a few. If you look at both characters and compare their storylines since Jai first turned up they were hardly doing anything (and I even remember a thread about Irene needing a major storyline and Leah just seemed to be serving food mainly when she was working at the Den). There was the episode where VJ was abducted but this blindness thing has been mainly about Roman. Anyway the interaction they had when they were both part of the background with other characters was waaaaaaaaaaaay better than Jai’s. And part of the problem for me is that I’m not entirely convinced with the actor.

-SLADE

Yeah agree with where your coming from.

But I just think that Jai is yet to prove himself.

Many may not like him now, because there hasn't been an episode which has proved his character.

I admitt that I didn't like him at the beginning either but I slowly warmed to him; and I think when he does get a big storyline there will be a lot of attention on these threads surrounding him.

Don’t worry, maybe in a few months to a year from now people will be complaining that he has two much screentime. I did actually vote “No” because I liked his scenes with Ruby and the feud with Trey. I found it quite funny when Trey was standing in his way and he said “Move moron”. Who knows they could become friends one day. Regarding his acting I think he will improve with time. Martha and Charlie both did.

And I definitely don’t dislike him. It was only at the very beginning when he bothered me. I think essentially he’s a good person.

This is only a recent thing. The story with Irene has only been on for a week in the UK. And again the stuff with Leah and Roman was only within the last 3-4 weeks and I don’t remember “loads” of scenes as you say. There were a few. If you look at both characters and compare their storylines since Jai first turned up they were hardly doing anything (and I even remember a thread about Irene needing a major storyline and Leah just seemed to be serving food mainly when she was working at the Den). There was the episode where VJ was abducted but this blindness thing has been mainly about Roman. Anyway the interaction they had when they were both part of the background with other characters was waaaaaaaaaaaay better than Jai’s. And part of the problem for me is that I’m not entirely convinced with the actor.

It's storyline after storyline and after contract leave or stay and get a storyline once and a while sometimes even years before they get one but most of the cast has already left by then.

If Leah was my favorite character i would be annoyed with her in the background but it's like take it or leave it.

No offence but Hugo and Martha are 50/50 together in an episode YET.

They certainly do not have the most screentime (if you count).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived