Lost or Found?

Guest kristie1024

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Liking the odd dream - now that is a good one :) And I liked the part where Jade allows Nick to open the results, that is a big thing, allowing someone else opening the results. Awesome!

Looking forward to Kristy meeting the rest of the family and how they will react to her turning up, especially Dani.

Looking forward to an update soon :)

Chapter 11 - A rather awkward lunch.

I heard the doorbell and went to answer it. It was Kirsty looking really nervous.

“Hi.” She said.

“Hi. Kirst it’ll be fine. Their family.” I said trying to make her feel better.

Kirsty just gave a kind of half smile.

“I told you I’ll be there for you. No matter what happens I’ll be there for you.” I said.

She still seemed really nervous, so I decided to change the subject.

“Hey, I am now officially a qualified teacher.” I said.

“Well done Jade.” She said.

“Thanks.” I replied. “And I told Nick I loved him.”

“What?” Kirsty screeched.

“Shh, Katie’s sleeping, she had to do overtime last night. And she’s not really fun when she gets woken up.” I said, remembering the last time when she was giving me a lecture for about an hour.

“So what did Nick do?” she asked.

“He said he loves me too.” I said.

“That’s great Jade.” She said.

“Actually I wanted to talk to you about something.” I said suddenly remembering “I had a dream last.”

“Lots of people have them.”

“Funny Kirst, anyway in it me and Nick were married, had two kids and one that hadn’t been born yet.” I said.

“And you’re worried about what it means?” Kirsty said.

I nodded.

“Well I think it’s just a dream. Do you remember the time you dreamed about the monster under the bed and made me swap beds with you as you wouldn’t go to sleep?” she joked.

“I guess.” I said, but it still felt a little weird. But I could put aside these feelings for today. Today was Kirsty’s day. “So you ready to go?”

“Not really.” She said. We both stood up. And I scribbled a note to Katie to tell her that we had gone out.

We headed out and into the taxi. When the taxi stopped we both got out. I walked around and saw Kirsty looked really nervous.

“Do you want me to go in first and tell them?” I asked.

She shook her head. “I’ll go in with you.”

I leaned over and held her hand like we had always done when the other was nervous. I heard her take a deep breath and we walked in together. It didn’t take long to see our family. We walked over and I saw the shock written on their faces when they looked up.

There was a mix of emotions, happiness from Mum and Max, silent anger from Dad and not so silent anger from Danni.

“So not talking to us for this long you think you can just breeze back in like nothing happened?” she screamed.

“Dani.” I said looking at Kirsty who was close to tears.

“No, she hurt us. We didn’t even know if she was alive!” Dani said.

“I’m sorry Dani.” Kirsty said.

“Sorry doesn’t make everything better!” she said then turned to me “I can’t believe you brought her.” With that parting statement she walked away. Dad took one look at me and Kirst and followed Dani out.

Mum walked up and hugged Kirsty. “I missed you so much.”

“I missed you too Mum.” Kirsty said with tears on her cheek.

“Is that really Kirsty.” I heard Max say.

“Well if not I’ve been talking about the past with someone who has no idea who I am.” I said.

Mum and Kirsty sat down “Well us four might as well have lunch.” Said Mum.

We all picked what we wanted to have.

Mum turned to me “So Dani said you had date, how did it go?”

I felt a huge smile appear on my face “It went well.”

“Do we get to know his name.” She said.

The thing about this was whether or not I told her. I mean Nick is a common name, but then what if she asks what his second name is. I felt Kirsty’s hand squeeze mine under the table. I nodded as I knew what she was saying. She said it was better to tell them rather than have them find out some other way.

“His names Nick.” I said.

“Do I know him?”

I nodded. “Well you used to.”

“When?”

“Oh, back when we were in Summer Bay.” I said reaching for my glass of water waiting for the realisation to set in.

When it did she just looked at me. “Are you happy?”

I nodded, then she continued “Then I hope you both work out.”

I smiled, now all I had to do was tell Dad and Dani, and try to get them to see that Kirsty is truely sorry for what happened.

• 5 months later...

Sorry it took so long to update, there was some family problems, but everything is sorted now.

Chapter 12: Can parties solve things?

I walked into my apartment letting my keys clang nosily on the table. Kirsty had headed back to Summer Bay straight after lunch, and Mum and Max had headed back to their home to try and talk to Dad and Dani. The one bad thing about all of this, is that I didn’t get to fix things for Kirsty. I had kind of imagined that I would walk in with Kirsty and everything would be fine. Now I couldn’t even talk to her, but I vowed to phone her later on in the day just to make sure that she is OK. Also I still had to tell Dani and Dad about Nick. While I’m sure it won’t really bother Dani, Dad however I’m not so sure about.

“Lunch go well?” Katie asked, as she came out of her room dressed in her uniform for the hospital.

“It was OK.” I replied smiling. She wouldn’t get it if I attempted to explain what had happened today, in order to that you would have to understand Kirsty’s relationship with the family both in the past and present. And it was all just too much to explain, plus there was also the fact that it wasn’t my secret to tell.

“By the way Nick said to tell you that he wants you to go and see him when you got back.” She smiled. I smiled back at her ignoring the look in her eyes that was laughing at how close we seemed.

I stalled before walking into my room. “Katie what do you think of a party next weekend?”

“What for?” she smiled, Katie wouldn’t say no, partying was her favourite hobby and she loved throwing them.

To help heal my family? To tell them about Nick in a scenario that Dad couldn’t yell? “To celebrate me passing my exams.” Was the actual answer I supplied her with. With that one it gave a viable reason why my parents had to be there, and it wouldn’t seem weird.

“Great.” Katie said, and I already saw the wheels in her head turning planning it. It gave her a relief from her job that took up the majority of her week. Glancing at her watch she looked up at me “Well I have to get going now, I’ll let you know later what I have planned. See you at dinner.”

“Bye.” I waved as the door closed, I headed over to Nick’s a minute later, not wanting Katie to see me looking like some desperate freak. He opened the door and smiled.

“There’s my favourite teacher.” He smiled, then his smile faltered a little.

“Lunch was horrible. Dan and Dan just left before Kirsty could even explain anything. Although one good thing did come from today.” I told him smiling as I finished wrapping my arms around his neck as his arms circled around my waist.

“And what was that?”

“Mum and Max gave us their blessing.” I smiled.

“And your Dad?” he asked.

“Well he left before I could tell him. But I’m going to tell him at the weekend. By the way, we’re having a party, which I would love for you to be at.”

He paused putting on his “thinking” face “I don’t know it’s such a long walk.”

I hit on the arm, and pretended to pout. As he began laughing I remembered what Katie had told me.

“So why did I need to come over when I got back in?”

“Well I wanted to see how you’re lunch went, I know it was almost as important to you as it was to Kirsty. Plus I wanted to show you something.” He finished seeming coy.

“What?” I asked wanting to know now, I was never really any good with waiting for surprises, sometimes it was like I was a kid at Christmas, I just loved surprises.

“You’ll just have to wait and see.” He said covering my eyes and steering me towards his living room.

“Nick.” I laughed trying to tug his hands away from my eyes, and felt him lift them away as I stood in the middle of the room looking around. The place was covered with roses and a simple picnic blanket lay on the floor.

“I know you just had lunch but it’s mostly chocolate and fruit that’s in the basket.” He smiled at me seeming sheepish. I walked over to the blanket and sat down, then looked back at Nick who seemed rooted to the spot.

“Aren’t you going to join me?” I laughed. He smiled and came over and began pouring two glasses of champagne, before handing one to me and raising the other one. “To you, for passing you exams.” He said then took a sip from his glass as I done the same.

“Do you like it?” he asked seeming like a teenager, and it took me back somehow to when we were teenagers, except this seemed so much more... special. I nodded, “It’s wonderful.”

“I love you Jade Sutherland.”

“And I love you Nick Smith.”

As he leaned over and kissed me, I knew then no matter what my Dad said at the weekend I couldn’t give this up. After all it’s not all that many times that you get a second chance in a relationship. Especially the one relationship that you have silently compared all your following boyfriends too, and they never quite matched up. As he pulled away I smiled at him and settled down into the romantic little scene he had created for us.

This is a filler chapter really but I hope you enjoy it anyway.

Chapter 13: Family matters

I stood in front of my mirror, in the tenth outfit I had tried on in the past five minutes. It was ridiculous how nervous I was, Kirsty was the one who had a reasonable excuse to be nervous, and here I was actually shaking a little. I shook my head as the door bell rang. I walked out of the room and went to answer, given that Katie had gone to buy an outfit for tonight.

“Hi.” I smiled as I opened the door and saw Kirsty clutching Miles’ hand as if it was the one thing keeping her from running all the way back to Summer Bay. Something I’m sure if I was her I would have done. Ollie was hiding behind his mother so sweetly it made me smile.

“Is anyone else here yet?” Kirsty asked.

“Nope.” I said standing aside to let them in “But Nick should be here soon, and then everyone else will probably arrive in a couple of hours.”

“Then why did I have to come so early?” she asked finally loosening her death grip on Miles’ hand.

“To give you time to relax. Besides I haven’t properly met Miles and I need someone to help me decide what to wear.”

“What’s wrong with that?” she asked gesturing my white top coupled with a soft pink floating skirt. I shrugged, it just didn’t feel right. But what would?

Kirsty sighed “Fine, I’ll help. But I am not sitting through any more than five outfit changes.”

“Deal.” I beamed, to be honest it was better than I thought I’d get. As we went into my room Kirsty took residence on my bed as I picked some random items out of my wardrobe and flung them onto my bed before sitting next to Kirsty. As I began matching items that I thought went, I turned around to find Kirsty smiling at me.

“What?” I asked paranoid that I had done something stupid, or had something stuck to me.

“Nothing, it’s just like... well it’s just like how things used to be.” She replied.

I smiled then, it felt nice to have someone there again. I mean yes I had Katie who was there when I needed someone but she didn’t understand me as much as Kirsty. I had left some important events of my life story out when I was telling Katie about myself. In some ways I had created a different person, I had always felt guilty over it. But when I first moved in, I wasn’t ready to face the truth of my family life, so I just made of a show of pretending my family was perfect.

“I missed you.” I said, as she smiled at me soft tears lining her eyes.

“Here.” She said handing me a pair of black trousers and a baby blue top.

“Thanks.”

“Jade.” Kirsty called as I went to change, I turned around to face. “Thank you.”

“Try to tell me that after tonight.” I joked and went to get changed. When I entered the living room again I saw Nick was there.

“Hi.” I smiled as he done the same. He got up and hugged me, as he pulled back I turned towards my sister. “You feeling OK?”

“If you excuse the extreme nerves, yes.” She laughed letting her voice wobble only a little. Miles sat next to her looking somewhat confused, he most likely didn’t get why this was so important, actually I’m not sure anyone would get it unless they lived through it.

“I’m still going to keep my promise you know?”

“Yeah I do know.” Kirsty whispered as she cuddled into Ollie, using him to remind herself that she had to be strong.

“How are you feeling?” Nick whispered making me turn away from them.

“OK, besides Dad can’t get that mad at me.” I whispered back. And he wouldn’t, even if he didn’t approve of the relationship he would most likely place the blame on Nick, but as this was not actual necessary part of tonight, I decided not to tell him.

Then the door opened and Katie came in and looked at the two people that she didn’t know, then looked at me.

“Oh.” I said getting her hint a little late “This is Miles, and Ollie my nephew.” I know I didn’t have to put in my “nephew” as she already knew that he was but it made me feel happy to say it. Soon after that people started to arrive. As I saw my family enter I left Nick’s side and went to stand by Kirsty.

“I’m sorry Kirst.” Was all Danni said before hugging Kirsty. Dad did the same wordlessly saying that he forgave her. Obviously it would take time to properly deal with what had happened, I was still pleased at this and I am sure Kirst would be too. As I glanced behind Dad I noticed Nick.

“Dad can I talk to you?” I asked him, walking away e followed me until we were sitting on the small seats in the hall.

“You’re mum said you’d probably want to talk about something tonight.” Dad remarked finally taking us out of a five minute silence.

“I’ve been seeing someone.” I said.

“Is it someone I know?”

“Yes.”

“Do I get to know his name?”

“OK, just know that I love him first.”

“Jade.”

I lifted my hand up to point out Nick in the crowd. Seeing me he waved a little before turning back to talk to Kirsty.

“Nick?” Dad asked his eyebrows raised, I nodded avoiding his eyes. “Jade you know he’ll just hurt you. Like he did last time.”

“Dad I am aware of what happened last time. But we’ve both grown up and while I would like you to accept it, I don’t actually need it.” I said. Dad paused then, and just stood, staring at me trying to examine the validity of my claim.

“OK, to make me feel better, will you two have lunch tomorrow with me and your mother?” Taking this I nodded and as he walked away realised what I had said. Now all I had to do was tell Nick, and find some way to convince Dad things would work out this time.

Chapter 14: Meet the parents... Again

I felt ill, I really did. It was so stupid, I mean Mum and Dad had met Nick before. Of course that is what gave them more reason to grill him today. And...

“Jade?” Katie’s voice pulled me out of my inner rant.

“Yeah.” I called.

“Have you seen my white blouse, the one with the crystal buttons?”

“Yes, I have it in here.” I called back. When I couldn’t find anything to wear in my closet I might have wandered into Katie’s room to see if I could see anything to wear, one of the benefits of having someone who is your dress size as a roommate. The drawback, they can borrow the clothes you want to wear. The doorbell went then.

“Could you get that?” I asked. I was putting on my shoes, I had finally settled on wearing a plain white floaty dress. I stood up and walked into the living room where Katie and Nick were standing.

“Here you go.” I said to Katie handing over her blouse. She smiled and went into her room.

“How are you feeling?” I asked Nick.

“OK.” He shrugged, and the worst thing was he probably was. He would be fine and composed while I would be about two steps away from crying from nerves. Why was it always me who seemed to be the nervous one? I had been so good at not getting as nervous the past few years, and it is somewhat annoying that it came back.

Nick took hold of my hands causing me to look at him. “It’ll be fine Jade.”

“I know I’m being silly. But you do know Dad’s not going to make it easy on you?” I asked him.

“I wouldn’t expect anything less.”

“Can I apologise for his behaviour now?”

“You don’t know that he’ll do anything worth apologising for.” He looked out the window then and saw our taxi. “You ready?”

I nodded, shouted goodbye to Katie and left grasping onto Nick’s hand. We walked down the stairs and into the taxi and sat in silence until we got to the restaurant. I still couldn’t quite believe that I was nervous over lunch with my parents than Nick was. I sighed as I got out of the taxi, and looked through the window, seeing my parents who had their backs to the window.

“Ready?” I asked Nick.

“If you are.” He said, I reached out and threaded my hand with his; rather cheesily it did make me feel better to know that he was right there next to me. As we walked in, I steered us over to where Mum and Dad was sitting.

“Hi.” I said causing both of them to turn around and smile at us, although I swear I seen Dad’s smile falter ever so slightly when his eyes landed on Nick’s. I had assumed that Mum will have told him to be on his behaviour, and I must find some way to thank her for that. I don’t think I could bear it if all Dad did was question Nick all day, although part of me knew it would happen sooner or later. I guess that was good point about dating an ex, they already knew what you’re parents were like, meaning they knew what to expect.

Lunch passed by amicably enough, until I went to the bathroom and Mum came with me. It wasn’t until I was drying my hands that it actually clicked that Dad had been left by himself with Nick. Quickly grabbing some paper tissues I dried my hands and ran out. I stopped around the corner from our table where I could hear Dad and Nick talking.

“What made you decide to come back?”

“I got tired of moving constantly.”

“Why start dating Jade again?” Dad clearly didn’t want to the small talk thing. “Haven’t you hurt her enough?”

“Mr Sutherland.” Nick said in what I assumed was just to be formal. “I know I hurt Jade in the past, but I’ve changed. And I know that you might not believe it, but I love Jade. I never really moved on from her. And to be honest I wasn’t expecting that she would love me back, but when I saw her I knew that even just knowing her would be enough. But I’m not sure I could describe how happy she makes me. And if she lets me, I will always try to make her as happy as that, and to keep her safe. I will do anything if it will keep her happy and safe. I love your daughter.”

As he finished I had tears in my eyes, I never heard Dad’s reply to this as I then went to the toilet to dry of my tears and clear the mascara that had ran down my cheek. When I got back to the table I sensed that whatever I missed between the two of them, it had to be good, as Dad was no longer glaring at Nick, instead actually smiling a little, which had to be good. I know it would take longer to prove to him that things would work this time. And Nick’s earlier statement had me smiling, and to the rest of the occupants of the table I must have looked slightly strange but I was too happy not to wear it.

I could really see things working out now, and I will do anything to make them work.

Archived