Lost or Found?

Guest kristie1024

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chapter 6 - Prelude to a dinner.

I got back to the flat and Kirsty came up to me.

“So get the milk?” she joked.

“Yes.” I said.

“Jade, I want to ask you something.” Kirsty said.

“Yeah?” I said.

“Me and Miles are having a part next weekend and I want you to come.” Kirsty said.

“Of course I’ll come.” I replied.

“Jade I wasn’t finished, Irene heard Nick was back and wants to invite him.” She said.

I froze “Well that’s fine, I mean she brought him up for a while and she would want to see him.”

“Jade are you OK?” she asked.

“Yep.” I said.

“Jade, you know you’re still as easy to read as a book.” She said.

“Kirst, I have to get over it at some point. I might as well do it when it will give Irene a chance to see him again.” I said.

“I always forget how rational you can be. Well sometimes.” She laughed.

“Kirst, are you happy with Miles.” I asked. She deserved someone who made her happy.

“Yes.” She said simply.

“Good.” I said.

Katie came barging in. She seemed really happy. “Oh Jade, you’re back. Anyway I invited Nick over for dinner tonight. Is that OK?”

She invited him for dinner! No it wasn’t OK. That was in no way OK. I couldn’t sit through a meal with Nick. Especially not as Kirsty was leaving soon. I wanted to run into my room and hide under my covers. But I had to be an adult as I was.

“That’s fine.” I said my voice in a strange high pitch.

Katie and Kirsty looked at me. Katie wondering what was wrong with me, and Kirsty trying not to laugh. I was glaring at her. It was like we were teens again. And I hated it. I had tried so hard to get away from that girl. Why was she coming back now?

Well I guess I knew why, and I wasn’t sure I liked it.

“I’ll just go ask if he particularly wants anything to eat.” I said and walked across the hallway. I raised my hand and went to chap. Then I stopped. Can I open a can of worms like this? Then I realised that Katie had already opened it. So I chapped the door and Nick answered.

“Jade!” he said obviously surprised.

“I just came to see if there’s anything that you want for dinner.” I said.

“No anything’s good. You know the kind of things I like anyway.” He said.

“Yeah, I guess. Do you need a hand with any of this?” I asked gesturing to the packed boxes.

“No, I’m OK.” He said “But you could help me decide where to put some photos. I’m rubbish at that.”

So for the next half an hour we put up pictures.

“Well that’s it.” He said.

I glanced over at the box and there was a photo in it, but he knew it was there. He had to.

“What about that one?” I asked.

He seemed to get defensive “I’ll put that one up. It’s special.” He said closing the box.

“Do you want anything?” he asked.

The honest answer was no, but I had to see what was in that box, so I asked for a glass of water. When Nick had left the room I ran over to the box. In it was the picture I gave him of us on the day he left. I smiled remembering the good times. When I heard footsteps, I jumped and closed the box.

“Here you go.” He said.

“Thanks.” I said automatically.

“Are you OK? You seem jumpy.” He asked his voice full of concern.

I nodded, I couldn’t very well tell him what was wrong. That him being back, and Kirsty I felt like I was back to being the naive teenager I was. Or that I thought that maybe.... possibly... I might still be in love with him.

Oh what a mess this is. I go to the beach to clear my head one day, and end with more confusion than I could have ever imagined.

But I loved having Kirsty back, but could I deal with my feelings for Nick. I got up to leave.

“See you at dinner.” He said.

Oh, I had forgotten about that. Well tonight should be painful.

Chapter 7 - Dinner or Date?

I put the pasta onto three plates. And put the glasses on the table along with a bottle of wine. I nearly fell over the chair. I had gone for a kind of dressy outfit, just a fancy top and black trousers as I wasn’t sure what to wear.

I heard a knock on the door and Katie answered it. While I nearly dropped the bowl of salad I had. I felt like it was a date... which it wasn’t. It was going to be awkward though, I just knew it. I took a deep breath and walked into the dining room carrying the plates.

I walked in and sat down. It was a round table and Nick and Katie had sat at either end, meaning I had to sit in the middle. Well that was just great. I sat down keeping a smile on my face.

“So Nick has Irene called you yet?” I asked, as it was the only thing I could think of.

“Yeah, are you going to the party?” he asked.

“Well since my sister’s co-host, yeah.” I laughed.

“So how do you two know each other?” Katie asked.

Oh great, that was the question I was trying to avoid. It was inevitable that she was going to ask, but I just hoped it was later rather than sooner. I was saved from answering as Nick spoke.

“We used to live in the same town.” He said. I was glad he didn’t say anymore than that.

“Were you friends? It’s just Jade has never mentioned you.” Katie said.

At this Nick looked... hurt. I felt bad, but really what was I meant to tell her. That we dated, that we broke up and it hurt. It hurt a lot. I sensed that Nick wasn’t going to answer that one.

“We dated for about three years.” I said.

Katie’s eyes widened “Three years! And you never mentioned it, well at least that explains why you don’t like the program.”

Well this was great, why if I felt fine about Nick would I hate watching the stupid show. Then Katie’s phone went off.

“It’s the hospital, they need extra help.” She said “I have to go. See you later Jade, and Bye Nick.”

With that she left leaving me and Nick alone.

“So do you want to have desert now?” I asked feeling awkward.

“Jade don’t you think that you can relax a bit.” Nick laughed at this I untwisted my hands.

“I’m not nervous.” I said, but my voice showed my nerves. So he just looked at me with one of his eyebrows lifted. “OK, so I’m a little nervous.”

“You know you were never a good liar.” He commented.

“That’s twice today, people have said that.” I replied.

“Yeah well it’s true.” He said simply.

I stuck my tongue out at him, and started picking up the plates to go back into the kitchen. He followed with his own plate, and I heard his footsteps behind me. I was so nervous I dropped the plate.

I bent down to pick it up and saw Nick do the same. He was really caring, I remembered that much, but I forgot how he used to help. I looked up into his eyes.

It was like a flashback when he leaned over and kissed me gently. I pulled away and we both stood up.

“Jade, I’m sorry.” He said.

“Can you leave?” I asked. He smiled sadly, nodded and left. When I heard the door slam, I ran up and locked the door.

I went over the couch, furiously wiping the tears stroking my face. I was mad. Mad that I was upset, that he kissed me.

But most of all I was mad that I still loved him. See that’s why I was really upset, I still loved him, despite my brain screaming it was a stupid decision. But did I listen to my head or my heart.

I had an idea. I would talk to Kirsty and hopefully she would help me. Now I felt like I needed ice-cream and a movie.

Chapter 8 - Clarity or Confusion?

I parked the car, and walked into the caravan park. It seemed familiar yet strange. I walked up and chapped the door. I looked around and saw lots of different people that I didn’t know. Until my eyes rested on those that I did know. There was Irene, Leah and Kirsty around a table.

I walked over.

“Hi.” I said.

“Jade.” Kirsty said and hugged me.

“Is Nick here yet?” Irene asked.

“No, he was still in the flat when I left.” I said “Kirsty can I talk to you.”

“Sure.” She said.

We walked into the back of the house.

“So what is it?” Kirsty asked.

“Me and Nick kissed.” I said.

“Wow.” Kirsty said.

“Kirsty, I don’t know what to do.” I said.

“Well how do you feel?” she asked.

“I don’t know. Part of me felt excited but the other was part was screaming at me that I was being an idiot.” I said twirling my hands around.

“Jade, then you have to decide what voice you want to listen to.” She said and walked off.

Well that didn’t help; I wanted her to tell me what to do, not say that. When I walked back I found that Nick had arrived. I was getting ready to turn and walked back out when I decided what I needed to do.

I walked over to Nick who was talking to Irene. “Hi Irene, can I borrow Nick for a minute?”

“Sure, I’ll just go see how Annie and Geoff are.” She said walking away.

“Do you know who Annie and Geoff are?” I asked him as we walked out into the garden and sat down on a bench.

“Irene’s looking after them.” He said.

I laughed “Same old Irene, huh?”

“Yeah, it’s changed so much from we stayed here hasn’t it?” Nick replied.

“I know it’s odd, the only people I knew where Kirsty, Irene and Leah. I mean I’ve heard about Miles but apart from that...” I trailed off.

“So what did you want to talk about? Because I don’t imagine that was it.” He said.

I kind of half smiled “I wanted to talk about when we kissed.” I said.

“I know I shouldn’t have done it Jade.” He said.

“No, it’s not that. I... I need to know whether or not you meant it.” I said.

He looked at me and sincerity filled his eyes “Yes.” He said simply.

I smiled and tried to pretend that there weren’t tears lining my eyes.

“Jade, I felt the same way since I saw you in Yabbie Creek. I have missed you so much, even when I tried to pretend that the feelings weren’t there.” He said.

“Nick...” I began and took in a breath. It was now or never “I think part of me still loves you. That’s why I was so upset the other night. I was confused.”

“Jade, are you doing anything on Saturday?” Nick asked suddenly.

“No, I don’t think so.” I said.

“Great, do you want to have dinner?” he said.

I paused. Then nodded. I watched him walk away back into the house but I sat outside for a while. Thinking back to all the times we were happy. I felt Kirsty sit next to me.

“OK, so Nick’s smile is giving the Cheshire cat a run for its money. So what happened?” she asked.

“We have a date on Saturday.” I said.

Kirsty smiled “Yeah, I kind of thought you’d chose to go back out with him.”

“Hey, what do you mean?” I said, how did she know when I didn’t.

“Jade, you were always the dreamer and the romantic. And it was kind of obvious you’d give him a chance. I mean how many movies or books are there, where the female lead takes back her first love and they end up married.” She said.

“I guess, but we’re only going on a date, we’re not dating.” I said pointing out the flaw in her logic.

Kirsty just laughed. “Jade, I know you. You’re not dating yet. But you will eventually.”

With that she walked over to Miles.

I wasn’t sure what to think. Did she know me that well, that she’d know what I would do before I did? I thought back and there did seem to be times when we knew things about the other when we hadn’t told each other.

It was ironic I came back here to clear my mind. Now with my exams out of the way, I was just more confused.

Chapter 9 - A first date.?

I looked at myself in the mirror one last time. My blond hair sat just below my shoulders. I was a red dress and black shoes.

I still couldn’t get rid of the butterfly’s in my stomach. I had thought of pretending to be sick, but he lived right across the hall, he’d just come and see I was fine. I collapsed onto my bed, landing on my cushions. I looked around and saw the picture of me and Nick, I had taken out earlier.

I closed my eyes before I heard the front door slam. Well it sounds like Katie had a fun day at the hospital. I walked into the living room.

“Hey.” I said. “How are you?”

“Fine now.” She said “So all ready for your date.”

“Not really.” I said sitting on the couch next to her.

“Jade you’ll be fine.” She said.

“But if it isn’t. We live right across the hall from each other.” I said. The phone went off and I went to answer it.

“Hello.” I said.

“Hi Jade, it’s Dani.” Dani replied.

“Oh, hi.” I said happier. I hadn’t spoken to Dani in a while. She was busy writing another book.

“Mum and Dad want to have a family meal next week. Me, you, them and Max.” She said.

I felt bad then. I hadn’t told them about Kirsty, but I wanted too. It was just Kirsty had said she couldn’t handle it yet. And who was I to judge I had myself, pushed them all away before.

“Jade, are you still there?” Dani said.

“Um yeah, that’ll be great. Listen I have to go somewhere soon. Can you call me tomorrow?” I said.

“Sure. Wait do you have a date?” Dani asked.

“Yeah.” I said.

“With anyone I know?” she asked.

“No.” I said. I hated lying, but it felt weird to say that I was going on a date with Nick. And I didn’t want any lectures.

“OK, tell me about it next week.” Dani said and hung up.

“I will. Bye.” I said.

“Bye.” She said and hung up.

I heard the doorbell and kind of done a funny nervous squeal. Katie laughed and I went to answer the door.

“Hi.” I said.

“Hi.” Nick said handing me a bunch of roses.

“Thank you.” I said.

“You’re welcome, so are you ready to go?” he asked. He seemed nervous. And I was kind of glad, in a twisted way, that I wasn’t the only nervous one.

“I’ll just get some water for these and then we can go.” I said and went to the kitchen. I put them in a vase and said bye to Katie and went out with Nick.

He had ordered a car for us. Not a taxi, like I was expecting but an actual hired car! I felt quite bad.

“Nick, this must have been really expensive, especially for a first date.” I said as a bit of my hair fell from behind my ear.

He leaned over and put it back. “Jade although this is a first date, it’s not like it’s our entire first date, so look at it that way.”

“But...” I started but was cut off by Nick.

“Jade, I wouldn’t have got it, if I couldn’t afford it.”

I got the impression that no matter what I done; I wasn’t going to win this fight. So I let him help me into the car. It was really comfy.

“So where are we going?” I asked.

“You’ll see when you get there.” He said.

“Inventive.” I said.

“I know.” He said.

I pretended to hit him on the chest, and we both laughed. We drifted into a comfortable silence. And it had to have been honestly the first time since we saw each other in Yabbie Creek. I turned around and saw him smiling at me.

I felt nervous “What?” I asked.

“Nothing.” He said.

“I hate that answer. It’s always something.” I said.

“Well I seem to recall, a certain someone who normally kept feelings to herself to not hurt anyone.” He joked then continued “But if you really want to know I was thinking how lucky I am that you said yes.”

I smiled and heard the driver say we were here.

I got out and saw we were at a restaurant. When we got in we were directed to a room at the back. In it sat a little table with a two glasses and a bottle of wine in a bucket of ice.

We sat down and had an amazing dinner, and there was no awkwardness between us. I felt really happy. And at the end we decided to walk back home.

It was going great until when we were about five minutes away from our houses. My foot got caught and broke one of my heels.

“Oh great, now I’ll be limping home.” I said.

“No, you won’t.” Nick said.

I was going to ask what he meant when he came over and picked me up. I screamed.

“Nick you can’t.” I said.

“Why not, you’re not heavy and I can’t let you walk home with a sore ankle.” He said. When we got to our floor he put me down.

“It’s lucky we live on the same floor right?” he joked.

“Thanks again. Are you sure you didn’t hurt yourself though.” I said still worrying that he was hurt.

“Jade, I’m fine.” He said. He kissed me and turned around to go into his house. And right before his door shut I heard him say softly “I love you.”

I walked into my flat in a somewhat dream like state. Until I walked into Katie.

“Oww.” She said “So how was your date?”

“It was great.” I said honestly.

“Do you want a hot chocolate?” she asked.

I nodded getting flashbacks to the amount of times me and Kirst had sat up drinking hot chocolate and talking about our problems. Realising this I got up and took my mobile out and phoned her, I told her all about the date. Then she talked about Ollie. When we hung up, I went back into the kitchen where Katie was and took the hot chocolate she made and we walked into the living room, with Katie grilling me about the date.

Just noticed this fan fic story - I like the story very much. Glad to see some old charcters coming back. I think H&A should bring Jade back. I can't wait to see what you have got in store for Jade, and to see how things are progressing between Jade and Nick.

Nice one, will deffo keep an eye on this one. :)

Chapter 10 - Results and an odd dream.

“Kirsty please.” I pleaded.

“No! I’m not ready.” She replied.

“But it’s only lunch and I promise no matter what I’ll be by your side.” I said. I was met by silence.

“Fine.” She sighed eventually.

“Great then I’ll see you tomorrow. Do you want to come here first so we can go together?” I asked.

“Yeah. Jade listen in case it gets too much tomorrow can you not tell them I’m coming.” She said.

The vulnerability in her voice shocked me; she was normally the strong one. “Of course not Kirsty.” I said.

“Great. Bye.” She said.

“Bye.” I said hanging up the phone. I felt really nervous today we got our results back. I had no-one here to share my nerves with so I ran across the hall and chapped on the door. I had my laptop tucked under me.

“Hi.” Nick said.

“Can I stay here for a while, it’s result day and I’m terrified.” I said.

Nick stepped aside and shut the door once I had gotten in.

“Thanks, Katie’s at the hospital and I was going crazy myself.” I said.

“Hey, I’ve got an audition tomorrow.” He said.

I was shocked to find that I was upset at this. He was moving again, but we had only just found each other again.

“Really?” I asked.

“Yeah.” He said.

“So where is it this time?” I asked failing to disguise the hurt in my voice.

“Well in the city.” He said.

“Well that’s gre...” I said then realised what he said “In the city?”

Nick nodded. I smiled, he wasn’t moving away.

“So ready to see if your results are up?” Nick asked.

I took a deep breath in and opened my computer. Turned it on, logged onto the website and faltered.

“Do you want me to check?” Nick asked as my finger had been hovering over the enter key for about ten minutes now. I nodded and saw him take the laptop from me.

“Well you passed, you are now officially qualified as a teacher.” He said turning the computer around so that I could see my results. I felt really happy and impulsively ran up to Nick and put my arms around him.

This simple gesture made me realise, how much I truely loved him. I had trusted him enough to open the results. I looked at him.

“Nick, I love you.” I said. I knew it was a little too soon into a relationship to say this. A week, but in retrospect it wasn’t just a week, we had a lot of history.

Nick smiled “Well that’s good because I love you too.” He said seriously then added “But you’d have to love me, I’m so awesome.”

I laughed, he really was the same old Nick. I reached behind me and grabbed the cushion and hut him over the head with it. “Very funny, so funny I forgot to laugh.” I said.

“Oh you know I’m funny.” He said.

“I know you think you’re funny.” I said.

“So, excited about having dinner with the family tomorrow?” He said.

“Yeah, guess what! I got Kirsty to agree to go.” I said.

“Jade you know not everything may go as rosey as you want it too?” Nick said.

“I know, but what’s the harm in wishing?” I said.

I stayed at Nick’s for a while then went to my flat to cook dinner for me and Katie. She had to put in extra time at the hospital so I left hers in the microwave.

A couple of hours later I got really tired and went to sleep. I had a very odd dream.

“Hayley. Don’t hit your brother!” I shouted at my two children. They were both four and twins. I looked up to the mantelpiece and saw a picture of me with my primary school class. It was taken last week, because now I was maternity leave and they wanted to do something special. I looked down at my extended stomach.

I smiled. I was really happy I had the perfect family. I saw Nick come in and I went up to give him a kiss.

“So how is my favourite wife?” he asked.

“Horrible, and it’s all your fault.” I said. “You’re children are being very annoying and not letting me have any piece.

“Why are they my children when they’re being annoying and in trouble, but you’re kids when they’re cute.” He joked.

“Because I’m the mother.” I said simply and watched him say hello to the children. He really was a great husband.

I woke up startled. I looked at the clock it was one ‘O’ clock.

I knew I had to talk to someone about this, luckily Kirst was coming later, but for now I think I’ll just go back to bed.

Archived