Guest sharksarecute

I am new to this forum and was ignorant of the avatar rule that only H and A-related ones be uses. So, after a reminder from a mod, I changed my shark... which I was very dissapointed about. I realise this is a Home and Away forum, but unless the avatar is offensive, why cant non H and A ones be used? Why cant our avatars be a reflection of who we are? I think this rule is a little unfair.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I were you, I'd argue that sharks are a big part of the show right now. Maybe if you just write "Summer Bay" on your shark av, they'll let you have it :ph34r:

I forget why it's a rule, but it's a rule. They own the forum, they have their reasons. *Shrug.*

I think the reasoning is that this is a HAA forum and if you're a member it's likely you're a fan of the show.You must have favourite characters so i don't think it's to unreasonable to ask that we look like a HAA fan forum.

You must have favourite characters so i don't think it's to unreasonable to ask that we look like a HAA fan forum.

What Lynd has mentioned here is really the crux of the matter. BTTB is primarily a Home and Away fan forum. Of course, we also have the general section of the site which is free for everyone to use to chill out, chat and get to know each other a bit better. But the core of the site, and one that we want to portray to newcomers, is that we're about Home and Away. And by enforcing the rule on not allowing non-H&A avatars, we believe this is a good way of reflecting that image.

As for whether this rule has an effect on what people want to talk about here, perhaps allowing non-H&A avatars wouldn't see a surge in general topics or a drop in the amount of H&A topics created. If you've signed up to this site for the right reasons, then you're doing so because you enjoy Home and Away. But all too often forums have the tendency to veer off and become havens for chit-chat and general chat in places where members should really be talking about the show or shows that the forum was initially created for. My view with forum avatars in general is that if they aren't related to the forum's main subject, members can sometimes become distracted from what the forum's about. But that's my opinion and I look foward to hearing what other people have got to say :).

personally, I think if you want your avatar to reflect who you are then you should be able to have which ever you like, so long as it isnt offensive. I dont think an avatar will take away from the fact that this is a H and A forum.. as that is why we are all here. I have been a member of other forums which havent had an avatar restriction, and while many members had off-topic avatars, it did not take away from the theme of the forum.

But all too often forums have the tendency to veer off and become havens for chit-chat and general chat in places where members should really be talking about the show or shows that the forum was initially created for. My view with forum avatars in general is that if they aren't related to the forum's main subject, members can sometimes become distracted from what the forum's about. But that's my opinion and I look foward to hearing what other people have got to say :).

Yes, they can but do avatars have anything to do with that? As I told you in PM I was a member of a wedding forum which had no restrictions on avatars and even though most people did not have a wedding-related avatar, most of the discusssion centred around our weddings. I think veering off topic would have more to do with a poorly moderated forum than allowing people to have whatever avatars they want :wink:

But all too often forums have the tendency to veer off and become havens for chit-chat and general chat in places where members should really be talking about the show or shows that the forum was initially created for. My view with forum avatars in general is that if they aren't related to the forum's main subject, members can sometimes become distracted from what the forum's about. But that's my opinion and I look foward to hearing what other people have got to say :).

Yes, they can but do avatars have anything to do with that? As I told you in PM I was a member of a wedding forum which had no restrictions on avatars and even though most people did not have a wedding-related avatar, most of the discusssion centred around our weddings. I think veering off topic would have more to do with a poorly moderated forum than allowing people to have whatever avatars they want :wink:

Perhaps the issue here is about how people interpret Back to the Bay as a forum and how that affects members' posts and their perception of what this site is about. I know for a fact that every single staff member is incredibly proud that this site is as popular as it is. We have reams and reams of new members flocking in every day and amongst those are jems that will contribute a lot to this forum. I personally put that down to our commitment in making it dedicated to the show. If you can sign up to this site and see that every member with an avatar has an H&A avatar, surely that is sending out the message that we're mainly about all things Summer Bay?

I like that we all have to have H&A avatars, it really adds to the atmosphere (if that makes any sense? lol). I think that having lots of the different avatars around looks a bit messy and random (in the same way that I think having a really big signature with pictures looks messy - but that's different topic!).

I also like having Home and Away avatars because quite a lot of them are made by members in the Artwork and Creations forum and if I see one I like, it alerts me to an artist I should check out.

Archived