If No One Will Listen

Guest Louise_2983

Chapter 2

Aden’s footsteps pounded down the cold, clinical hospital corridor as he made his way towards the emergency department. Every possible scenario as to what could be wrong with her flooded his terrified mind as his body pushed forward, his fear not enough to prevent him from rushing to be at her side. All her answer phone message had informed him was that she was at the hospital and he should get there as soon as possible. What did that mean? Who the hell left an answer phone message like that? She’d scared him half to death. Not just with the thought of what horrific thing might have happened to her but that he wouldn’t get there on time, that he wouldn’t be there when she needed him.

Again.

He zipped around the final corner like a rally driver on the last bend before the home straight the tension scrunched in his muscles releasing slightly as he spotted her at the end of the long corridor, pacing nervously outside one of the private rooms. He didn’t understand. As his gaze fluttered over her slender physique he could see no sign of injury or distress. She looked fine. Better than she had for months in fact. Rehab had clearly done her good.

Then the thought hit him like someone had kicked him straight in the stomach with extreme force, taking his breath away and causing another surge of panic to shoot through him. What if it wasn’t a visible problem? What if she had some incurable disease? Cancer? Anything. What if she was going to tell him that she was dying?

“Belle?” he gasped as he finally stopped in front of her, his hands gripping her forearms gently in an attempt to both steady himself and to get her to look at him.

As her deep chocolate brown eyes lifted and met his he felt the anguish flooding through him tighten around his heart. He didn’t want to lose her. He didn’t know what he’d do if anything happened to her.

“What is it? What’s wrong?”

“Nicole’s having a baby” she replied calmly as though it was the most obvious thing in the world.

“What?” he mumbled unsure he’d heard her correctly. Had his panic caused an onset of delirium? Was this a dream?

“Nicole’s having a baby” she repeated again, slower this time as she allowed the vowels to roll over her tongue.

“WHAT?!” he exclaimed loudly as her words hit him land sunk in like a piercing arrow through his chest.

This couldn’t be happening.

“Is this some sort of joke?” he spluttered, dropping his hands from her arms and raising a hand to his furrowed face in frustration.

“We were safe! And she couldn’t possibly know that yet anyway. We were only together last week!”

“Aden I sa-“

“This cannot be happening!” he announced loudly as his panic levels soared once more and he turned away from her in distress.

“Ade-“

“No Belle, if she’s pregnant then it’s not mine so I have no idea why you called me!”

“Aden! Will you look at me!” Belle yelled, grabbing hold of his arms and forcing him to turn to face her.

“I said Nicole was having a baby. Not your baby. A baby”

“Oh” he sighed in relief as he began to calm down, his blood pressure slowly decreasing back to its normal level. She almost giggled as she witnessed the sheer relief flood over his features at his

reprieve.

“Right now”

“What?”

“Nicole is having a baby. Right now” Belle told him calmly with a nod towards the private room.

“In there. Right now

“But she can’t be? She’s not pregnant” he told her in disbelief.

“She hasn’t been pregnant...she wasn’t pregnant...”

As if on cue a loud, sharp scream pierced the air alerting to them to the girl giving birth on the other side of the door they stood before.

“That’s what she thought too” Belle let out a low chuckle at the ridiculousness of the situation. It was a scenario that usually only play out in Hollywood.

“But how?”

“Aden” Belle laughed, the corners of her mouth kicking up into a tiny smile.

“Only last week you were giving Nicole a refresher course in how. I didn’t think I’d need to explain that bit!”

“She’s pregnant?” he whispered in shock, as though the words were only just fully penetrating his mind.

“9 months gone apparently”

“And she’s been hiding it all this time?!” he sighed with guilt. He’d thought they were close. Sure he’d screwed it up big style in recent weeks but before...he thought that she would have been able to talk

to him about something like that. He hated the thought that she’d been bottling this all up inside her for months on end knowing she would eventually have to face it. It must have been like a bomb

ticking away inside of her. She must have been terrified.

“She says she didn’t know”

“She didn’t know?!” he spluttered as the shocks kept on coming.

“Are you telling me she’s in there giving birth to a baby she didn’t even know she was having? She must be petrified!”

“She is” Belle nodded anxiously.

“She’d been in labour for over a day before I found her apparently and it was bad. She thought she was dying”

“Dying?” Aden murmured unable to stop a small smile playing on his plump lips.

“That’s Nicole for you. Ever the drama queen. Don’t women do this every day the whole world over?”

“Yes they do” Belle agreed trying to defeat the giggle threatening to escape from her and failing as she gazed into his amused blue eyes.

“But it’s not funny Aden!”

“Then why are you laughing?” he questioned with a smirk.

“Well it would be Nicole who had to do it differently wouldn’t it?” she laughed softly.

“But it really isn’t funny, she’s terrified Aden. Most women have 9 months to prepare for this, she’s had just over an hour now” she told him, glancing at the silver watch on her wrist to check the time.

“I thought it was you” he suddenly blurted out as his piercing blue eyes locked with hers.

“You thought I was pregnant?” she replied, her nose scrunching up in confusion, His heart skipped a beat at the familiar movement.

“No” he laughed softly.

“Why would I think that? No, when I got your message I thought that something had happened to you. I think I broke every speed limit in the state trying to get here fast enough Belle”

Her heart lurched at his words as his blue eyes continued to gaze into hers and for a moment she forgot to breathe. Her fingers itched to reach out and run her fingertips across his prominent

cheekbones, her heart yearned to lean forward and to press her lips against his. But instead she lowered her gaze with a shrug as cold disappointment flooded through her. She couldn’t do this, no

matter how much she loved him.

“I didn’t know who else to call” she told him honestly.

“She won’t let me call Roman and when I called Natalie she was in a bar, half cut and she made some flippant comment about Nicole being more like her than she thought and how we should be sure to

invite her to the christening!”

“Nice” Aden grimaced but he could actually hear Natalie saying that in his head.

“What is it with this town and not one person having two, constant parents they can rely on?”

“I don’t know” Belle smiled softly with a shrug.

“But I guess it makes us appreciate our friends more”

“Yeah I guess” he nodded with a sincere smile.

“Look I know you don’t live with them anymore but I didn’t know who else to call, or what exactly is going on between the two of you and I really, really didn’t want to have to ask her that” Belle babbled

suddenly anxious, pain rushing through her just at the thought that they might be in a relationship.

“But I thought, well you were like family to each other...or maybe she’s your girlfriend now I don’t kn-“

“She’s not my girlfriend” he interrupted softly with a small, reassuring smile down at her.

His words comforted her in a way she knew they shouldn’t. She couldn’t just let herself fall back into this when she’d come so far already.

“But you’re right we were, are like family and I’m not just going to abandon her when she needs me because we made the mistake of sleeping together once upon a time”

Belle arched her eyebrows at him knowingly.

“Ok twice upon a time” he admitted rolling his eyes towards the ceiling slightly just as they heard Nicole let out a blood curdling scream.

“Do you think we should get in there?” he asked nervously with a nod towards the door.

“Yeah” Belle nodded turning to push open the door adding a warning before she did so.

“But she’s kind of erm...exposed so you might want to keep your eyes on her face...Not that it’s anything you haven’t seen before I guess”

“Belle!”

“Sorry can’t help it” she sighed as she pushed open the door and they slipped into the room.

Nicole was slouched back against a mound of white pillows, her head tilted back as she panted in exhaustion, her knees pushed up against her chest as a midwife examined her. Belle hung back by the

door as Aden strode further into the room making a concerted effort to keep his eyes from the lower half of Nicole’s body. It was like a car crash, he didn’t want to look but he had a sudden urge to do

just that. He fought it as he reached Nicole’s side and tenderly rubbed her arm.

“There are easier ways to get me to talk to you again than this you know” he chuckled in a vain attempt to lighten the atmosphere between them in as Nicole avoided his gaze and continued to take

deep breaths. His voice lowered as he gently ran his hand over her messy hair and turned her head to look at him.

“How you doing Princess?”

“Oh I’m just peachy!” she snapped, anger and fear apparent in her shaky voice.

“I’ve just been having a nice catch up with Amy Winehouse over there whilst I push a freakin’ watermelon out of my –“

“Ok I get it” he interrupted having no desire to hear whatever term she was about to use to refer to that region of her body.

“Not too good”

“NOT TOO GOOD?!” she bellowed angrily.

“How would you like to have to push something out of your ARGH!!” she grabbed hold of his shirt and held onto him as another contraction ripped through her.

He watched helplessly as she groaned in pain, her nails digging into him as she clung onto him to help ride out the pain. Eventually the contraction subsided but her grip on his remained as she panted in

exhaustion.

“Who the hell did this to you?!” he exclaimed as she grimaced in pain, her breathing loud and irratic.

“I’m going to castrate him!”

“Bit rich isn’t it?” Belle sniped in disbelief from the doorway.

“You were having a good go at doing this to her last week remember?”

“Forget him!” Nicole yelped in discomfort.

“Just get this thing out of me... please!”

“Nic, did you seriously not know?” he asked dubiously still not sold on the idea that she’d only just found out herself.

“DO I LOOK PREGNANT TO YOU?!”

“Well right now, you kinda do yeah...”

“ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGHHH!” she bellowed again as another wave of pain rippled through her.

As it subsided she responded to his comment amid frantic gasps for air so that all he could make out were random words from her mumblings.

“No bump...periods...test...false negative...island...Geoff”

“Geoff?!!”

“A ha” the blonde nodded as she groaned in discomfort.

“It appears Bible Boy has super swimmers! Just my luck!”

“Hey it could be worse” Aden tried to placate her.

“HOW EXACTLY? I’M PASSING A BOWLING BALL HERE!”

“Well” Aden smiled cheekily.

“It could have been twins”

“TWINS?!” She yelped clearly not amused by his joke.

“Can we leave your sexual fantasies out of this please?!” She snapped sarcastically before reaching out a hand to wack the midwife currently checking on her progress.

“And will you stop poking around down there? I’m not a flippin’ touch and feel toy you know!”

“Nicole, she’s just doing her jo-“

“Arrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh!” Nicole screamed once more, grasping hold of his collar and almost pulling him on top of her she yanked him with such force.

“Get me drugs!” she demanded through her moans of pain.

“I need drugs!”

“Nicole, we’ve been through this” the midwife told her calmly.

“It’s too late for that”

“I don’t care!” she snapped viscously.

“Get me drugs! I want them all!”

“Ni-“

“I want drugs!” she bellowed again cutting Aden off before turning her attention to the brunette hovering nervously in the door way,

“Belle, you know a good dealer don’t you?” she asked in complete seriousness.

“Nicole!” both Aden and Belle exclaimed in horror at her lack of sensitivity.

“Oh please! We all know she’s well connect – Arghhhhhhhhhhh! Oh god, make it stop please!”

“Nicole, you’re doing really well” the midwife assured her softly.

“Almost there but I’m going to need you to push for me now”

“No” she shook her head before resting it against Aden’s bicep in exhaustion as she clung onto him.

“I can’t”

“Come on Nic” Aden encouraged.

“You can do this”

“I don’t want to! You bloody do it!”

“I would princess” he smiled softly, rubbing her arm affectionately.

“But I don’t have the right equipment!”

“Stupid men and their stupid equipment!” she cursed as she wriggled in discomfort.

“I’m going to cut Geoff’s off next time I see him!”

“Not if I get there first Nic”

“Belle, don’t ever let him do this to you!” Nicole warned as Belle dared to advance into the room a little.

“Not much chance of Geoff getting me pregnant” she quipped with a grin.

“I mea-“

“Yeah I know what you meant” Belle murmured with a telling glance at Aden who held her gaze for a few seconds before turning his attention back to the matter at hand.

“Come on Nic, the sooner you do this the sooner you can touch up your make up. You look shocking”

“Gee thanks” she snapped but couldn’t help but let her lips curve into a smile against his arm.

“I’m scared Aden” she whispered softly.

“I know but we’re here, you’re not alone. It’s going to be ok”

“Not just this, I’m doing this. I don’t have any choice do I? But what about when it’s here? I don’t want a baby! I’m not pushing! It can stay in there!”

“Don’t you think that might be a bit uncomfortable?” Belle questioned with a soft smile.

“Waddling around with a bowling ball stuck up your...or was it a watermelon?”

Her comment had the desired effect as a tiny laugh escaped over Nicole’s lips.

“Come on Nic” Aden pushed

“Ok” she nodded in agreement as the midwife looked up at her.

“Ok Nicole on 3...1....2....3”

“ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!”

“That’s it! And again for me Nicole”

“Again? I pushed?! Isn’t that it?”

“Not quite, come on another push like last time”

“ARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH”

“Oh my god I can see the head!” Belle exclaimed as the baby began to emerge, tufts of blonde hair clearly visible on its tiny head.

Aden couldn’t help but let his gaze wander to the emerging baby as Nicole gave a short push and collapsed back against the pillows propped up behind her exhausted body.

“Will you stop looking down there?!” she yelped, grasping hold of his shirt and twisting him to look at her face.

“Don’t you think this is bad enough already?!”

“Sorry” he laughed softly.

“But it’s amazing Nic, you’re having a baby”

“Really? No s**t Sherlock! I never would have guessed!”

“One more big push Nicole and baby will be here”

“I can’t” she groaned, shaking her head adamantly.

“Come on Nicole” Aden encouraged her forcefully.

“Push!”

“You push!” she exclaimed, forcefully thwacking him with her palm and sending him flying backwards, clattering into a tray of medical instruments before he hit the floor.

“Come on Nicole!” the midwife ordered ignoring the incident.

“ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!”

The tiny cry of a healthy, beautiful baby filled the room as Nicole panted in exhaustion and sighed in relief all at the same time. Aden quickly stumbled to his feet, his gaze never once leaving the sight of

the tiny new life being lifted in the air and then placed on to Nicole’s chest.

“Are you ok?” Belle asked him, smiling at his obvious enchantment with the newborn, all thoughts of any injury he had sustained in his fall forgotten.

“Yeah” he nodded with a smile.

“This is... amazing”

“Does one of you want to cut the cord?” the midwife asked looking from Belle to Aden and back again.

“No it’s ok” they spoke in unison shaking their heads nervously.

“Will one of you just cut the damn thing?!” Nicole snapped as she stared at the child gazing up at her, at the tiny fingers already curled around a strand of her hair.

Belle silently gestured for Aden to do it and he obeyed, taking the medical scissors and snipping the cord which attached Nicole to her new born baby.

Nicole looked at the midwife, fear and confusion flashing over her eyes in equal measure.

“Now take it away from me please...”

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was WOWW!!!

Never even crossed my mind that she could be pregnant :huh:

Belle was so nice about the whole thing, glad she is keeping it together.

Look forward to Geoff's reaction when he finds out and boy am i happy it's not Aden's :D

Great work!!

Update soon.

That's a hard one. - both have their good points.

Looking forward to the next installment, and Geoff's reaction - I like many didn't think she would turn out to be pregnant!

Keep it coming..:P

Archived