Love In Motion

Guest Red Ranger 1

For those of you who haven't been following other threads, my server crashed just after I posted the last chapter and I didn't get it back until last night so sorry for the wait.Thank you to everyone who's said how much they're enjoying it.And to anyone who isn't enjoying it as much as they were, I'm sorry and I hope you'll continue reading and posting because I do value all opinions.

As for Aden, he seems to be contradicting himself in the last few chapters when it come to his reaction to the Geoff/Tam/Nic stuff. Also I feel like one minute he is being written like he is now on the show and then a while later he is being written like some watered down version of his old self. The scene in the diner with Geoff definitely the latter.

Don't know about contradicting but you might be right, character motivation tends to be the first thing to go for a walk round the block in my stories.(Heck, my motivation changes from moment to moment, never mind a character I'm writing.)I agree I've written Aden a bit too harsh on some occasions so I'll try and keep an eye on that.

CHAPTER 11

Geoff felt Tam’s lips against his, enjoying the sensation.He knew he had doubts about their relationship sometimes but then he’d had doubts about his relationship with Nicole as well.It didn’t mean he didn’t want to be with her or that he was making a mistake.Since they’d got back to the house, he’d been enjoying her company.Surely that had to mean something.

The kiss broke and he saw her smile.“So, have you got any plans for tomorrow?”she asked.

“Well…”

“Because I’ve been thinking,”she continued before he could go any further,“We could go to the cinema in the afternoon and I promise I’ll let you choose the film this time round.Which I get will probably mean one with a G rating.And in the morning…boat trip?”

“Boat trip?”

“Yeah, it might be fun.We could hire out a boat, go for a bit of a ride.I’m just getting used to having a beach at hand again.”

“Haven’t you been living on an island?”

“Details.So how about it?”

“Actually…I promised Irene I’d help out at the Diner in the morning.”

“Oh.”Tam looked slightly crestfallen.“Can’t you get out of it?”

“Not really, someone’s phoned in sick and Irene’s tried all the casuals.She really needs my help.It’s not a problem, is it?”

“Well, yeah, kind of.You see, I’ve already spoken to Mr.Stewart and hired a boat out for the morning.”

“Oh.”A tiny part of Geoff thought that Tam should probably have checked with him before making the decision but a bigger part felt bad about letting her down.He was just looking around for inspiration when he saw Annie come in through the back door.“Maybe you could take Annie with you,”he suggested.

Annie stopped, looking at them both, unsure what she’d just been volunteered for.“What?”

“Boat trip,”Tam told her,“You and me, tomorrow morning.Sound like fun?”

“I guess…”

“So, if you’re free..?”

“Well, I did say I’d meet Ruby and Melody but we didn’t really have any plans, I can tell them I’ll be a bit late.”

“Cool.I’ll meet you down at the wharf.But, um, can you give us a minute now?I just want to pash your brother some more.”

Belle had noticed Aden when she’d come into the Diner for a coffee, sat with Nicole having breakfast. She’d decided to wait until after she had ordered before speaking to him, taking advantage of the extra few minutes to work out what she was going to say.When she turned round, however, she was greeted by the sight of Aden’s back heading out the door.

Belle felt more than a little affronted.Maybe Aden had finished his breakfast and didn’t have any reason to stick around.But he hadn’t even acknowledged her.“I don’t even rate a ‘Good morning’ now?”she asked.

She hadn’t really been talking to anyone.But Nicole seemed to feel the need to answer anyway.“Are you sure a ‘Good morning’ is all you want?”

Belle glared at her.“What do you mean?”

“Well, it seems to me you and Aden both want more than a ‘Good morning’ from each other.So until you work out how to deal with that, avoiding each other seems the best bet.”

“And that’s how you’re handling things with Geoff, is it?”

Belle was slightly pleased to see that the comment had annoyed Nicole.“Geoff’s getting his ‘Good mornings’ elsewhere right now.Nothing to do with me.”

“Okay, Nicole.But maybe you should check the state of your own love life before you start lecturing other people.”Belle felt a slight sense of euphoria at having the last word.But it didn’t last long.Deep down she had a feeling Nicole was right.She and Aden were going to have to learn how to handle being around each other.And they weren’t going to be able to do that if they couldn’t manage to be in the same room.

“Here you are, girls,”Alf announced,“One boat, as requested.”

Annie and Tam stared at the boat without enthusiasm.It was certainly big enough for two and looked quite comfortable.But the pair of oars resting inside made it clear they weren’t going to get anywhere without a lot of hard work.“Is that it?”Tam asked.

“Well, what were you expecting?Some sort of speedboat?”

“Yes, actually.It’s not as though you haven’t got any to spare.”

“Oh, right, okay.Well, if one of you could just show me your speedboat license?”Alf gave an amused smile at the defeated look that passed between them.“No?Well, I guess this one’ll have to do then.And make sure you don’t go too far out.Don’t want you getting into any trouble now.”He headed off back down the wharf, still chuckling to himself.

“It might be fun,”Annie suggested timidly.

“The two of us bobbing about in that thing?”Tam asked,“Not my idea of a good morning.”

Annie shrugged.“Well, we’ve paid for it,”she pointed out matter-of-factly.

Tam sighed.“Okay.We’ll go for a row.At least Mr.Stewart was right about one thing.No chance of us getting into trouble in this tub.”

Thanks for all your words of encouragement, everyone.I'm being a bit tardy updating this one compared to some of my other work but here's another one.Hope you like it.

CHAPTER 12

Much to her surprise, Tam was quite enjoying the trip.It didn’t have the speed and the thrills she’d been hoping for but the gentle motion of the boat, in response to their rowing, was quite relaxing.Annie, however, didn’t seem to share her enthusiasm.She was as jittery as Tam had ever seen her.“Don’t you think we’ve come out far enough, Tam?Mr.Stewart said to stay near the shore.”

“Yeah, well, we need deep water, don’t we?Otherwise the boat won’t stay afloat.”

“But it might be dangerous.I mean, it is pretty rough out here.”

“I don’t think we’re going to sink.”

Annie decided to try something else.“Well, what about the time?I did tell Ruby and Melody I wouldn’t be late.”

Tam checked her watch.“Yeah, Geoff’ll be finishing his shift about now.Okay, let’s head back.”

“Um, do you know how to turn this thing around?”

“Just row on one side.Er, the left, I think.”

Annie had started to look nervous again.“Tam, there’s some really big waves out here.”

“Annie, quit panicking.We’re going back now, remember?”

It was unfortunate that it was the next wave that turned their boat over.

Geoff was slightly surprised to find Ruby and Melody sitting on the beach near the jetty when he went down there.Ruby obviously noticed his look and nodded out to sea.“We’re waiting for Annie.”

Geoff nodded his understanding.“Tam,”he added, explaining his own presence.

“How’s that going?”Melody asked him.

Geoff wished she hadn’t.It was a question that was on his mind a bit too often.“Okay,”he replied,“I like her.”

“That’s not exactly an ecstatic declaration of love, Geoff,”Ruby pointed out.

“I…really like her?”

“Hey, Aden,”Melody called out as the owner of that name wandered past.

If it had been anyone else, Geoff would have been glad of the distraction.But his and Aden’s relationship had almost plummetted to the depths of their early acquaintance in recent weeks.Aden gave a brief nod of acknowledgement.“Hey, Mel.Hey, Ruby.”

Geoff knew he’d been ignored deliberately and knew he should let it pass.But it seemed he was looking for any distraction, even an argument.“What, I don’t qualify for a hello?”

Aden stopped walking at the comment, turning back to face him.“No, Geoff, you don’t.That’s the one good thing about this mess you’ve made, I don’t have to be nice to you anymore.”

“Er, guys,”Ruby attempted but they were both in full flow by now.

“Well, what about Belle?”Geoff asked,“She was telling me how you’re ignoring her.What, you don’t have to be nice to her now, either?”

“Er, guys,”Melody tried, being ignored just as much as Ruby had been.

“Oh what, you’re suddenly her defender now?”Aden asked,“Or maybe you think you’re in with a shot yourself.Should I tell Tam your attention’s wandering again?”

“Guys, do they look as though they’re in trouble?”Ruby managed at last.

Geoff and Aden both turned round at the comment, following the two girls’ gaze out into the water.They saw the overturned boat and the two figures floating in the water next to it, one of them, Geoff thought it was Tam, waving frantically.

“Can’t they swim back?”he asked.

“I dunno,”Aden replied,“They might be caught in a rip or something.”

Geoff glanced round.“Melody, go and get the lifesavers.”He was relieved that she didn’t argue and instead ran towards the surf club.

By the time he turned back, Aden had already started to remove his shirt and shoes.Geoff did the same. The two of them looked at each other for a moment, whatever differences existed between them forgotten for now, then ran into the water.

As their strokes carried them closer and closer to the pair, Geoff was horrified to see Annie slumped against the side of the boat, Tam desperately trying to keep her upright and stop her from sinking.He swam to their side, putting an arm around his sister.“What happened?”

“I think she must have hit her head when we went over,”Tam explained.

“Why isn’t she wearing a life jacket?”Aden asked.

“There were some in the boat but I…I told her she didn’t need one.”Tam noticed the glares both of them gave her and looked ashamed.

“Can you swim by yourself?”Geoff asked.

Tam looked uncertain and Aden cut in.“I’ll take care of her, man.You just look after Annie.”

Geoff nodded gratefully and took hold of his sister’s unconscious form, desperately trying to remember the few lifesaving lessons he’d taken as he turned her onto her back and began the journey back to the shore, aware of Aden helping Tam to make the same journey.

Geoff dragged Annie up the beach, away from the sea, gasping from the exertion, Aden and Tam clambering up behind them.Ruby stood nearby, watching helplessly.“Ruby, call an ambulance,”Geoff told her breathlessly.

Ruby ran off and, to his relief, Geoff could see Melody on her way back with a group of lifesavers, ready to provide whatever on the spot help they could.“Is she all right?”Tam asked in his ear as she and Aden crowded round.

Geoff had been giving Annie a quick check with the basic first aid he knew.“She’s breathing but she’s still unconscious.”He began patting Annie’s cheek, desperately trying to rouse her.“Annie, come on, please, wake up.Don’t do this to me…”

Thanks for the comments.

CHAPTER 13

“You’re sure Annie’s all right?”Tam asked insistently.

Rachel placed a consoling hand on her younger sister’s arm, stopping her getting out of the hospital bed. “She’s fine, Tam.She’s got a mild concussion so we’re going to keep her in overnight for observation but that’s all.”

Tam nodded, relieved.“I didn’t want her to get hurt, I…I guess I just didn’t think.”

“It’s okay, Tam, no-one’s blaming you.It was an accident.”She glanced round as Aden appeared in the doorway, having changed out of his wet clothes and into a set of surgical scrubs.“Hey, perfect fit.”

“Yeah, thanks for lending them to me.I’ll get them back to you as soon as I get some dry clothes.”

“Oh, that’s okay, keep them for as long as you need to.”

Aden seemed ready to go and a part of Tam would have been glad to see the back of him.But another part of her felt the need to say something and that was the part that won out.“Aden, um, thanks for rescuing me.”

“Well what did you think I was going to do?Leave you in there to drown?”

“Well, yeah, it did occur to me.”Tam bit her lip as soon as she made the comment, realising she’d put her foot in it again.Aden scowled at her and left without saying another word.The expression on Rachel’s face wasn’t exactly happy either.“I didn’t mean that,”she protested.

“Maybe you should tell him that,”Rachel suggested,“Once I’m ready to let you go, that is.”

Tam groaned inwardly.Another conversation with Aden didn’t hold much appeal.“Do I have to?I mean, I’m grateful to him but he’s still a jerk.”

“I don’t think he means to be.Believe it or not he can actually be quite a decent person.”

“Just not with me?”

“I think there’s a lot of things in Aden’s past that he’s not too proud of.And having you around, reminding him of those things, it makes him uncomfortable.Maybe that’s why he has a tendency to lash out.”

Aden had intended to make a rapid exit from the hospital.Unfortunately, he was delayed by the presence of Geoff in the corridor, a blanket draped round his shoulders.Obviously he hadn’t taken advantage of the opportunity to get changed.“Aden, hi,”he greeted him nervously,“I just wanted to say thanks for helping with Annie and Tam.I don’t think I’d have been able to help them both by myself.”

“Oh, you thought I was going to let them drown too, did you?”Aden snapped.

Geoff adopted the confused expression that Aden’s outbursts often seemed to inspire in him.“No, I just wanted to say thank you.”

Aden felt a touch of shame.He knew he’d been losing his temper quite a bit recently and that wasn’t the way he wanted to be anymore.He found himself wishing for some sort of distraction.Then one came along and he wished it hadn’t.

Belle came bursting through the doors and hurried up to Geoff.“Geoff, I just heard, how’s Annie?”Then she noticed Aden standing there and stopped, looking at him awkwardly.

“Rachel says she’s going to be all right,”Geoff told her, either not noticing the tension or deciding to ignore it.

Aden decided that would be a good opportunity to try and slip away but unfortunately Geoff had other ideas, breaking away from Belle and following him.“Aren’t you going to talk to her?”

Aden turned and glared at him, grateful that at least he’d made it through the double doors and out of Belle’s earshot.“What exactly am I going to say?”

“I don’t know but…you could at least be polite.”

Aden wasn’t sure why he felt the need to explain his behaviour but he did.“Geoff, I’m trying to do the right thing here.You think I don’t want to go back there and try and make things up with her?But if we get back together, we’ll only end up right back here.If a relationship isn’t working out, you have to end it for both your sakes.”He glanced back through the glass partition, glad that Belle wasn’t looking in his direction.“Even when you still love her.”He looked back at Geoff, who seemed to be paying more attention to his words than he’d expected.“And even when you don’t.”

Tam’s face brightened when Geoff came in, but his expression suggested he had something serious to say. “What’s the matter?Is it Annie?”

“No, no, she’s all right,”Geoff assured her.He came over to sit by her bed and took her hand.She went to kiss him but he moved his head slightly and her lips brushed against his cheek.

“Do you blame me?”she asked.

He shook his head.“This isn’t about the accident.It’s about us.How did we get to this, Tam?”

“What do you mean?”

“I mean…why are we together?”

Tam had a worrying feeling she knew where the conversation was going.“Because I like you and I thought you liked me.”

“I do, Tam.I’m just not sure I like you in the right way.I went straight from dating Nicole to dating you and I didn’t really stop to think about whether it was what I wanted.”

“And now you’ve decided it’s not?”

Geoff looked at her helplessly.“I don’t know.I think we should take a break, just go back to being friends for a while.Until I know what I want.”

“And I’m supposed to just wait around until you decide?”

Geoff shrugged.“I don’t know.I guess that depends on what you want.”

When Belle came into Annie’s room, Jai was sat by the bed holding her hand.They weren’t talking or doing anything else, they were just sitting there, together.She stopped in the doorway, taking in the scene, wondering if she’d ever been that innocent.Probably not.When she was their age, she’d been too busy rebelling to be innocent.

The two youngsters noticed her and she suddenly felt like an intruder.“Sorry, I’ll come back later.”

“No, come in,”Annie told her.Jai got up so Belle could have the chair but didn’t let go of Annie’s hand.

“I just wanted to check you were okay.”

“Where’s Geoff?”

“He’s in with Tam.”

“That figures,”Jai muttered.Annie gave him a look and he subsided slightly.

“I think he’s breaking up with her,”Belle told them,“So don’t be too hard on them.”

“Why?”Annie asked,“Because of what happened?I mean, it’s not as though Tam forced me onto that boat without a life jacket, I should have put one on anyway.”

“Actually, I think it’s because of something Aden said to him.”

“Geoff’s taking relationship advice from Aden?”Jai repeated.

Belle couldn’t help smiling.“Yeah.Funny how things work out.”

It was one of life’s strange rules that whenever Aden was in a contemplative mood and wanted some peace and quiet, Nicole came home.She stood in the doorway, grinning at him.“So, I hear you were quite the hero today?”

“If you’re going to suggest I should have left Tam to drown…”

“Well, it’s a bit tempting but no.Although you could have left her in there a bit longer…”She held up her hand as he glared at her.“Joke!What’s got you in a bad mood this time?”

He sighed.“Nic, do you think there’s one person out there for each of us?”

Nicole screwed her face up.“God, no.How depressing would that be?”

“Depressing?”Even after a year living together, Aden still didn’t quite understand Nicole.“Aren’t girls meant to think it’s romantic?”

“Well, if there’s only one person out there for each of us, what happens if we miss them?What if we’re looking the other way when they come along?Or they get hit by a bus before we meet them?Or worse, they get hit by a bus after we meet them?Then you’re going to be miserable for the rest of your life.”

“Okay, okay.You’re not big on the whole soul mates idea.”

Aden had intended that to be the last word.But to his surprise, Nicole seemed to stop and think about it.“I guess there are people that just get us, that we’re always going to have a connection with whatever happens.I just don’t think we’re dependent on them to be happy.I guess that’s up to us.”

Thanks for your comments, people, hope you like this.

CHAPTER 14

“Here.I think I’ve found the answer to your problems.”

Tam looked at the tub Rachel had plonked into her lap in confusion.“Ice cream?”

Rachel sat down beside her, proferring two spoons.“I’m pregnant and you’re heartbroken.That means we’re officially allowed to eat an entire tub of ice cream.”

“Who says I’m heartbroken?”

“I may seem like an ancient spinster half-sister to you but I do remember what a heartbroken teenager looks like.Now eat up.”

Tam eased the lid off the tub without much enthusiasm.“You could at least have chosen a decent flavour.I mean, vanilla?I thought pregnant women were meant to have exotic tastes?”

“I considered getting pickle and sardine flavour but I figured you wouldn’t be so keen on it.”

Tam smiled despite herself and took her first spoonful of the ice cream.“I’m not heartbroken,”she told her, “At least not the way you meant.”

“You want to share with your big sister?”

“The ice cream?”Tam asked, holding the tub out.

Rachel collected a large dollop on her spoon but it wasn’t enough to distract her.“The reason why you’re sort of heartbroken.”

Tam sighed.“Geoff’s cute and I like him but I’m not in love with him.I don’t think I’ve ever been in love with anybody but I’m pretty sure I’m not in love with him.I just…I like being around him.I like him as a friend.”

“A friend that you just happen to fancy the pants off?”Rachel suggested with a smile.

“Yeah.And I’m upset because I’ve lost that.”

“I thought Geoff said he still wanted to be friends with you?”

“Are you still friends with any of your exes?”

“Not exactly but…that doesn’t mean it’s impossible.”

“I just don’t want this to wreck what we had.”

“And that’s all that’s worrying you?”

“Yeah, that’s all,”Tam replied.

And hoped Rachel didn’t realise she was lying.

“Have they told you when you can get out of here?”Ruby asked.She and Jai had gone to visit Annie at the hospital.

“Doctor Young said the day after tomorrow.But he said I’ll have to rest up for a few days.”

“You’ll be up and about for the party though, won’t you?”Jai asked.

Annie had an almost pained look on her face.“You haven’t cancelled it?”

“Why would I do that?”

Ruby couldn’t help smiling at Annie’s discomfort.“Face it, Annie, you’re going to enjoy yourself whether you want to or not.”

“In fact, I sent Geoff to do some errands this morning,”Jai added.

“How is Geoff?”Annie asked, eager to change the subject.

“Well, let’s just say the whole break-up thing’s a bit new to him,”Ruby replied,“And he’s just gone through it twice.”

Annie thought about this.“So not good then?”

“Maybe something good’ll come out of his trip,”Jai suggested.

Geoff was surprised to find Melody in the living room when he arrived at the caravan park, hefting a large box.“Er, Jai sent me to Yabbee Creek to collect the banner and the invites,”he explained.

Melody nodded.“He asked me to wait for you.He’s gone to visit Annie.He said just leave them on the table and he’ll sort them through when he gets back.”

Geoff placed the box where instructed, looking at it with some confusion.“Exactly how many people’s he planning to invite?”

“Half the town.Actually, half of three towns.”She noticed Geoff’s disapproving look.“He just wants to make it special for her.That’s not wrong, is it?”

“No, I guess not.”

“You want a drink before you go?”

“Oh, er, I don’t drink.”

Melody paused with her hand on the fridge door, giving him a funny look.“I meant orange juice, Geoff.”

“Oh.Yes.Of course.Er, thanks.”

“So, how’s your love life?”she asked as she poured their drinks.

“A mess.Yours?”

“Non-existent.”

“Care to swap?”he asked, accepting his glass and following her over to the sofa.

“Sad as it is…yes.But don’t worry, I’m used to being the one left on the shelf now.”

Geoff looked at her in surprise.“Come on, Mel, you’ve had guys interested in you.”

“Mmm.None of them seem to stick around though.I guess I just have to accept that they’ll always decide they want someone prettier.”

Geoff didn’t know which of them was more surprised by what he did next.He kissed her.He felt her start to respond for a moment but then she pulled away, getting to her feet.As she looked down at him, he was shocked to see tears of hurt and anger in her eyes.

“How could you, Geoff?”she demanded before rushing upstairs.

Geoff tapped gently on the bedroom door.No-one invited him in but no-one told him to go away either so he pushed it open.Melody was lying on the bed with her back to him.He wondered how to approach it, how to avoid making things worse.“I didn’t mean to upset you,”he said at last.

Melody turned slightly so he could see her face, the faint trace of tears in her eyes still.“Geoff, it took me a long time to accept you didn’t want me.I nearly drove myself crazy over it.And now that I’m finally ready to move on, you bring it all up again, kissing me like that when I know you don’t mean it.”

Geoff swallowed hard.“What if I did mean it?”he asked.

Melody shook her head.“I know you don’t, you’ve told me often enough.”

“I know,”he replied helplessly.He went over to her and sat on the edge of the bed.“Melody, I really thought I didn’t have those sort of feelings for you anymore, that we were just friends.But then when I saw you downstairs, all sweet and beautiful, I suddenly wanted to kiss you.It just felt like the right thing to do.”

Melody was looking at him with eyes that were full of hope, tempered by having her hopes crushed so many times.“And how do you feel now?”she asked.

He leaned down and kissed her, the most intense kiss the two of them had ever shared.He moved slightly so he was lying on top of her.He felt her starting to unbutton his shirt and was going to tell her to stop, until he realised he had started to undress her as well.And so he ignored the questioning voice in his head.And did what felt right.

CHAPTER 15

Geoff sat on the edge of the bed, silently buttoning up his jeans.Melody was still in bed behind him, her gaze fixed on his bare back.“Geoff?”she asked quietly,“Please tell me you don’t regret that.”

Geoff turned to face her, seeing once more her concern, the fear that she’d opened up her heart again only to have it crushed.And he knew that being honest was his only option.“Part of me does,”he admitted,“Part of me hates myself for being weak and letting myself be tempted again.But another part of me’s glad we did it.”

Melody seemed to relax slightly, accepting the answer.“So what do we do now?”

“I don’t know.But whatever it is, I think we’re going to be doing it together.Don’t you?”

She nodded.He leaned over and kissed her on the cheek then made to move away.She took hold of his arm, stopping him.“Can we just…Can you just stay with me for a bit?”

Silently, Geoff lay down on top of the bed, alongside her, the covers the only thing keeping their bodies from touching again.She rested her head on his shoulder and he moved his own slightly to rest against hers. And as they lay there, he realised there was nowhere else he’d rather be.

It had taken Tam several hours to pluck up the courage to do something.She’d spent the afternoon with Rachel, taking advantage of their sisterly bond without really opening up to her about what she was thinking about.She’d made a point of ringing the hospital to check on Annie, since she still felt bad about how she’d been hurt.But she knew it was just delaying tactics.She knew who she really had to go and see.

It was starting to get dark as she walked along the beach and she was slightly worried when she heard the running foosteps behind her.Then she heard the familiar voice calling her name and relaxed.No danger from that quarter.

Geoff came to a halt beside her, seeming slightly flustered.“Rachel told me you’d gone out for a walk.”

“Um, yeah, just wanted to clear my head.”She felt even less comfortable discussing where she was going with him than she did with Rachel.“Was there something you wanted?”

“Yeah, I think…I think I need to tell you how I feel.It’s not fair to keep you dangling.”

“You’ve worked it out then?”Tam was suddenly worried.This was one variable she hadn’t really counted on.

“Yeah.And…”He sighed.“I hate guys that say this but…I think I’m in love with two different people.”

Tam examined his face, trying to work out what he was saying.When she did, she wasn’t sure whether to be offended or relieved.“I’m not one of them, am I?”

Geoff shook his head.“Tam, I’m sorry I’ve messed you about like this.And I want us to be friends still but if you think that would be too difficult, I understand.”

“Why, do you think I’ll be unable to control myself when I’m around you?You’re cute, Geoff, but you’re not irresistible.”

“Oh.That’s good.”And the most endearing thing of all was that he meant it.

She held out her hand.“Mates?”

He smiled as he accepted it.“Mates.”He gestured back the way he’d come.“I’m sorry to dash but there’s someone else I need to talk to.”

Me too, Tam thought as she watched him go.

Aden swung the front door open and stopped as he saw who was waiting outside.“Tam?”

“Hi, Aden.”

Aden looked around, making sure that he was still at home and this wasn’t all some colossal mistake. Because he really couldn’t work out what she was doing there.“Was there something you wanted?”

“Um, actually, Aden, I want you.”She realised what she’d just said and looked embarrassed.“I mean, I want to talk to you.Can I come in?”

Aden silently let the door swing open and gestured for her to enter.

Thanks for your comments, everyone, I was worried about how people would react to the latest developments.It's been a while since I wrote any Geoff and Melody scenes, I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed them.Anyway, hope you like this one.

CHAPTER 16

Aden watched Tam sitting at the opposite end of the sofa, the drink he’d got her cupped in her hands.She’d said she was there to talk but she didn’t seem to be doing anything remotely approaching talking.“You want to tell me what all this is about?”he asked.

She turned to look at him and suddenly she looked very young, reminding him she was still only seventeen.“Aden, did you ever like me?”

It wasn’t the question he’d been expecting.“What?”

“That date we went on, if you can call it that.Did you like me at all or was it all about getting one over on Geoff or me being the safe option?”

Aden shrugged.“Well, I guess if you’d been some ugly thing, I’d have let Geoff have you.”

If he’d hoped the comment would put her off, it didn’t.“Because I liked you.At least, I liked the person I thought you were, the one that was nice to me.And then suddenly you changed, you became this jerk who just dismissed me.And I decided that’s who you were and you weren’t worth bothering with.And suddenly I’ve got Rachel and even Annie telling me that actually you are nice.So which one was the real you?”

Aden wished Tam was still angry with him, so he could get angry with her in turn.Discussing his feelings was probably his least favourite pastime, especially with someone he didn’t really know.But the way she was looking at him, not answering didn’t seem to be an option.“I guess the real me was the one that hurt you,”he admitted,“Then.But I’ve tried to be better and I know I’m getting there.So I guess, in a sense, I’m trying to be the person you thought I was.”

Tam nodded slowly, processing this, before suddenly fixing him with an intense gaze.“Can I kiss you?”

Aden almost fell out of his seat.“What?!”

“Can I kiss you?”

“Okay, ever since you’ve been back we’ve been at each other’s throats and now you’re asking if you can kiss me?”

“Well, I kind of liked it last time and if you’re nice now, I think it would be okay.”She paused a moment before adding,“So can I?”

Aden was sure there was a hundred good reasons why he should say no but none of them instantly sprang to mind.So instead he let her kiss him.

Jai had noticed the change in Melody as soon as he got home but with so many grown-ups around he hadn’t had a chance to talk to her.He waited until after dinner, when Miles, Kirsty and Alf were all in the kitchen, before following her into the living room.“What’s happened?”he asked.

Melody tried to look innocent but couldn’t keep the grin off her face.“What do you mean?”

“Well, you’ve had a smile on your face all evening and I was wondering what put it there.”

Melody made a quick glance towards the kitchen to make sure no-one was in earshot before replying,“I slept with Geoff.”

Jai’s eyes widened in surprise.“Wow!I didn’t even know there was anything going on between you two.”

“There wasn’t.Neither of us planned for it to happen, it just did.I’m glad it did, though.”

Jai nodded in understanding.“So what’s happening between you now?”

“We’re together.He told me that that’s what he wants.That he loves me.”

“And that’s what you want?”

She nodded.“I don’t think I realised how much until he said it.”

“Then I guess I’m happy for you.But what about Tam?And Nicole?”

“He said he’s going to tell them.”

It occurred to Jai at that moment, and judging from her expression Melody agreed, that he didn’t envy Geoff that task.

Nicole stood in the middle of the living room, arms folded.“Well?Is there some reason you asked me round here?”

Geoff took a deep breath.This wasn’t going to be easy.“I thought I should probably tell you how I’m feeling.”

“Geoff Campbell discusses his feelings.This’ll be good.”

“I love you, Nic.Still.But we’re just too different for it to work.I don’t want you to have to change for me and I’m not able to change for you.You need to be with someone that’ll let you be yourself.”He paused. This was the bit she really wasn’t going to like.“Just like I can be myself with Melody.”

It took Nicole a moment to realise what Geoff was saying.Then it looked like she was about to combust. “No.No way.You can’t be back with Melody.”

“I love her, Nic.”

“So I was right all along?You didn’t want me at all, you wanted someone like her?”

“No, that’s not…I did want us to work, Nic.I did like being with you.And I thought things were finished between me and Mel.But being with her…it just felt right.”

There was something in the words that struck a bell with Nicole but it took her a moment to realise what it was.“Oh my god, you’ve slept with her, haven’t you?”He looked embarrassed and nodded.“We were together all that time, you were insisting it couldn’t happen, and then you sleep with her straightaway? What’s that all about?”

“I guess, for a moment there, being close to her seemed more important than my beliefs.It’s only the second time I felt that way about anyone.”

If Geoff had intended that to have a calming effect, it didn’t work.“Oh, so I’m one of two girls you’re willing to abandon your morals for?Thanks, Geoff, that really makes me feel special.”She headed towards the back door.

“I never meant to hurt you, Nicole,”Geoff protested.

“Go to hell, Geoff,”Nicole snapped,“Oh, that’s right-you’re already going to.”

Nicole had thought that nothing could make her mood worse when she arrived home.But the sight of Aden and Tam kissing on the couch had managed it.“You have got to be kidding me.”They sprang apart at the comment, looking at her awkwardly.“You two?!It’s bad enough you split me and Geoff up, now you come round here and get your claws into Aden?What, are you my personal curse or something?”

“Geoff still loves you, I’m sure he does,”Tam protested,“He told me…”

“Yeah, he told me too,”Nicole replied,“He still loves me but unfortunately he loves Melody more.”

Aden looked at her in shock.“Melody?”

“Was that Nicole I saw storming away from her earlier?”Belle asked.

Geoff nodded.“I told her it’s over for good.”

She smiled sympathetically.“It’s never easy accepting that.”

He paused and she suspected there was more to it than that.“Belle, there’s something I should probably tell you.”

Before he could get any further, Aden came marching in the back door.He stood glaring at Geoff, his body tense.“I’ve just been talking to Nicole.She told me what you said.”

Belle wasn’t sure what they were talking about but she took a step inbetween them anyway.“Look, Aden, whatever’s happened…”

“I’m not gonna hit him, Belle,”Aden replied testily.Belle knew he was telling the truth, she always had known where he was concerned.She stepped out of the way and Aden turned back to Geoff.“She told me about you and Melody.”

Belle turned to Geoff in surprise.Was Aden really saying what she thought he was saying?Geoff’s expression seemed to confirm it.“Look, Aden…”

“I don’t want to hear it, Geoff,”Aden interrupted,“I just want you to know that I hope you treat her better than you did Nicole.”

It hadn’t been what Belle had been expecting.It hadn’t been what Geoff had been expecting either judging by his reaction.In the end, he just nodded.Aden seemed to accept that.He turned away and looked at Belle, looking for a moment as though he was going to say something.But whatever it was went unsaid.Because he left without another word.

Have noticed that Geoff has had his share of relationships in this fic LOL

Ah yes."Geoff always gets the girl in my fics.Discuss."

CHAPTER 17

Annie looked at the various notes that Jai had spread out on the kitchen table.“Well, I guess that’s the end of the party.”

He looked at her in surprise.“Why?”

“Well, I wanted to ask Nicole but she won’t come if Geoff and Melody are there.And I wanted to ask Tam but she’ll bring Aden with her and that’ll be awkward for Belle.”

“If they’re your friends, they’ll make the effort.”Jai noticed Annie’s expression and things suddenly slotted into place.“That’s what’s worrying you, isn’t it?”

Annie sighed.“Jai, I don’t have many friends.Not enough to fill a place that big.If you invite the whole school, they either won’t come or they’ll just come because they want a party, not for me.I’m just scared it’ll be just me there.”

“Annie, I promise you there’ll be at least one other person there.”He was rewarded with a smile.He pointed to a piece of paper.“Just tell me who you want there and I’ll sort it.”

Silently, Annie scribbled a few names on the paper before handing it to him.Jai looked at the list.“Is that it?”She nodded.“Okay.Then if that’s what you want, that’s what we’ll do.”He kissed her on the side of the head.“And I spent all that money on those invites…”

Geoff looked around carefully when he entered the Diner, making sure there was no-one there that he didn’t want to bump into.Sighing with relief when he saw the coast was clear, he headed over to the counter where Xavier was on duty.“Um, Irene said she’d leave a picnic hamper for me?”

“Yep, it’s right here,”Xavier confirmed, reaching under the counter and pulling out a basket,“She told me not to let Roman know what it was.”

“Thanks, Xav.”Geoff took it from him and turned round…to find Nicole standing there.The timing was so perfect he almost wondered if she’d been waiting round the corner.

“Planning another session with your little girlfriend?”she asked,“Explaining why it’s okay to sleep with her and not me?”

“We did sleep together, Nic,”Geoff pointed out.

“Once.”

“I’ve only slept with Melody once.”

“So, you can sleep with each girl once and that’s okay?”

“No, it…”Geoff glanced over his shoulder and noticed Xavier hanging onto every word.“Can we do this somewhere else?”

He was relieved that Nicole gestured for him to lead the way.

The end of the wharf wasn’t exactly private but it was less crowded that the Diner and there weren’t any people about.Geoff took a seat near the end, the basket still in his hand, Nicole beside him.“It’s not okay,” he told her,“I shouldn’t have slept with you and I shouldn’t have slept with Melody.It was wrong.”

“Yeah, fine, I get that.But we were together all that time and not once did you break the ‘no sex’ rule.And then you sleep with her straightaway!Why her and not me?”

“Because I wasn’t expecting it.”

Nicole looked at Geoff, surprised and intrigued.The answer seemed to have just slipped out and that told her that it was true.He seemed to have clammed up again but she wanted to hear more, wanted to hear how he was really feeling.“Go on.”

Geoff seemed to be having difficulty putting his thoughts into words.“When we were together on the island, when we…did what we did…”

“When we had sex,”Nicole corrected.She wasn’t in the mood for euphemisms.

Geoff winced slightly at her bluntness but didn’t object.“Before then I’d never even thought about that sort of thing, it just wasn’t something I did.But then when I was with you, I suddenly had all those feelings and I guess it overwhelmed me a bit and I gave into them.But after that, I was expecting it.I knew that when I was with you I was going to feel like that, I was going to want you.So I made sure I had my defences up, that I didn’t give in to those feelings.”

Nicole was beginning to understand, in spite of herself.“And Melody?”

“I’ve kissed Melody before and neither of us even thought about taking it any further.But this time… maybe because we’re older or because of all that’s happened to us this last year, but this time I did.And I wasn’t expecting it so I didn’t have my defences up.It overwhelmed me again.But that was the last time.It has to be.”

Nicole sighed, her anger replaced with sadness.“You know the worst thing, Geoff?That did actually make sense.”

“I meant what I said before, Nic.I did want things to work out between us.”

She glanced down at the basket in his hand.“Your girlfriend’s waiting.”

He nodded in agreement, getting to his feet and heading back down the wharf.She sat there.And watched him walk away.

“Well, it was a great lunch,”Aden commented as Tam cleared the plates away,“But I’ve really got to get back to work.”

“Oh, thanks.Leave me with all the clearing up to do.”

“Just leave it, Nicole can do it when she comes home.”

Tam turned to him and smiled, something that a few weeks ago she could never have imagined herself doing.“Still not seeing much of the caring, sharing Aden people are telling me about.”

He took a step nearer.“Good job you remembered what a great kisser I am then.”He pressed his lips against hers, pulling her into an embrace, his hands caressing her back.Then he was interrupted by a quiet “Ahem” sound and looked round to see Nicole standing in the doorway.He smiled, amused, before looking back at Tam.“Catch you later.”He gave her a peck on the lips before heading out past Nicole.

Tam looked awkwardly at her new boyfriend’s housemate.Their conversations usually ended in raised voices and another round wouldn’t exactly help keep things smooth with Aden.Best to just have as little to do with her as possible.“I’ll finish off here and then I’ll go.”

“You know, Geoff and I had problems,”Nicole told her,“But if it hadn’t been for you, we might have worked through them.”

“I didn’t end up with Geoff either,”Tam pointed out.

“No, you ended up with Aden.I, on the other hand, ended up with a pile of fresh air as my new best friend.”She held up a hand to forestall an argument.“But that’s not what I want to say.You’re with Aden and that means I’m probably going to be seeing a lot more of you.Which means we’re going to have to find a way to get past this.Do you play pool?”

The question seemed to come out of nowhere and for a moment Tam wasn’t sure how to answer.“Er, sometimes.”

“Because with Geoff finding someone else to spend time with, I’ve got no-one to play with.Guess I could use a new partner.You fancy a game?”

Tam gestured to the mess the kitchen was still in.“What about the clearing up?”

“Oh, Aden can do it when he comes home.”

“You had enough?”Geoff asked as Melody finished off her share of the food.

She smiled at him.“I think so.Don’t want you to stop loving me because I’ve got fat.”

He knew it was meant as a joke but he wondered if she did still have some worries.“I’d still love you if you were enormous,”he told her.

“Thanks, I think.”She crawled over to where he was sat against a tree and kissed him gently before settling down, leaning against him.He put his arms round her, holding her tight.“You are sure this is what you want?”she asked and he knew then that her worries had been real.

He kissed her on the top of the head.“I think this is the first time in a long while that I have been sure.”

Thanks for the comments once again.

CHAPTER 18

Tam let her gaze wander from the television to Aden sitting next to her.“Are you watching this?”

“Oh yeah, I’m definitely watching.”His eyes, though, were definitely not fixed on the set.

She smiled slightly.“You know, you don’t have to just look, touching’s allowed as well.”

“Thought I’d do the gentlemanly thing and wait till I was invited.”

“Okay, I know I said I liked the new you but you don’t have to lose the bad boy thing entirely.”She leaned in invitingly and he didn’t need any more encouragement to kiss her.

Tony stuck his head round from the kitchen.“Er, dinner’ll be another ten minutes.”The pair made various gestures in his direction which seemed to indicate understanding.“If you want to come up for air around then,”he added under his breath.

He turned towards Rachel who was standing over near the sink.“Stay in here?”she asked.

“Might be best.”

“You know, I know I told her to go easy on him but I didn’t think we’d end up with Aden Jefferies as a dinner guest.”

“Ah, well.Looking after teenagers…you never can predict what they’re going to do next.”

Melody stood near the doorway, her goodbye kiss with Geoff going on a little longer than was necessary.“I probably should go now,”she told him as they finally disentangled.

“Okay.Thanks for coming.”

“Thanks for having me.”She noticed the look Belle had suddenly given her.“For dinner,”she clarified.She turned to Jai.“You coming?”

“Um, right there.”He gave Annie a quick kiss before following Melody out.

Geoff and Annie both looked over at Belle, who had started clearing the table, seemingly ignoring them. She hefted the pile of plates and disappeared into the kitchen.Geoff gave Annie a worried look.“Do you think we should..?”

“I’ll go.”

“Are you sure?”

“It’s women’s business, Geoff.”Annie followed Belle through into the kitchen and hovered behind her uncertainly.“Was that a bit too couply for you?”

“No, it’s good that you had Jai and Melody round.”

“It meant you were left out though.”

Belle shook her head.“No, that’s not important.I mean, I had Aden round for dinner sometimes when you two were on your own…”She sniffed, as though fighting back tears, then shook her head to clear it.“You going to give me a hand with the washing up?”

Annie took a step closer and put her arm round her.“It’s okay if you’re still upset.”

Belle was keeping the tears in but only just.“Did I really mean so little to him?I thought that was it, I thought he was the one but then he just ended it over nothing.And then he goes out with Tam.I don’t blame her, I don’t even blame him, I just wish he’d talk to me.I wish he’d at least acknowledge that I exist.”

“You know, I should be the one walking you home,”Aden complained as they walked along the beach.

“I was already home,”Tam reminded him.

“Well, maybe I should walk you back.”

“Yeah, that makes sense.”She smiled at him.“I’m a big girl, Aden, I can make my own way home.”

He stopped, turning her to face him.“You weren’t always a big girl.Tam, about the way I treated you back then…”

She shook her head.“It’s forgotten.I guess we’ve both changed a lot since then.”

“I still cannot believe this has happened.”

“Me neither.Guess life’s full of surprises.”

He glanced up towards his house.“I think I can find my way from here.”He kissed her softly.“See you tomorrow.”

Tam watched him go for a while then turned and walked back along the beach.It was then that she saw Jai and Melody up ahead of her.“Hey, wait up!”she called.She ran to catch up with them and it was only when they stopped and turned that she realised she had no idea what she was going to say to them.“Um, hi, Mel,” she offered.

Melody was looking at her with equal uncertainty.“Tamsyn.”

Jai looked from one to the other.“Okay, do I need to offer to hold your coats or..?”

“We’re not going to fight, Jai,”Melody told him.

“But can you give us a bit of space?”Tam asked.

Jai shrugged and walked a few paces to the right, away from the pair.He stopped and stood for a moment until he noticed their expressions.“Further?”He took their silence as confirmation and carried on walking.

“You know, it’s funny,”Tam commented once Jai was safely out of earshot,“We both ended up in this love…hexagon yet we’ve never really spoken to each other.”

Melody nodded.“So, um, you and Aden.You’re happy about that?”

“Yeah, I am.I mean, he really hurt me before but I guess he wouldn’t have been able to do that if I hadn’t liked him in the first place.And I think he really has turned into the sort of person I want to be with.”

“That’s good.I like Aden.Not in a sexy way,”she corrected hastily.

Tam smiled.“I like Geoff.Not in a sexy way.Much.”She noticed Melody’s worried look.“But I think he’s more suited to someone like you than someone like me.I’m happy being friends with him.”

“What about us?Are we friends?”

“If you want to be.”

Melody nodded.“I think I’d like that.”

Tam smiled and linked arms with her as they carried on up the beach, Melody giving Jai the nod to come scurrying after them.

-As someone already mentioned I’m not sure I agree with the way you are writing Aden. It’s just a times he felt more like the old Aden. The one you claimed at one point to have absolutely hated i.e. when he went round to confront Geoff regarding his treatment of Nicole/Melody.

Oh.That was actually meant to be Aden showing his caring side by sticking up for his friends.My bad. Welcome back, anyway.

Thanks to everyone who's commenting and reading and hope you like this one.

CHAPTER 19

Geoff and Melody were among the last to arrive at the surf club.Geoff quickly picked out Annie, the birthday girl, chatting with Jai and Xavier.Nicole was over near the food in conversation with Ruby.Belle was in a corner, the only one with a drink, looking as though she was wondering how her social life had deteriorated to the point where a sixteen-year-old’s birthday party was a highlight.He could just make out Alf in the bar, keeping well out of the way and probably having reached the conclusion that there was unlikely to be a riot.

Nicole noticed their entrance and detached herself from Ruby, coming over to them.“I’m only going to say this once so listen carefully.You two look good together.”

Geoff glanced at Melody, noticing the surprise in her eyes that matched his own.Then he smiled at Nicole. “Thanks, Nic.”

Nicole turned to Melody.“You want to watch yourself.He’s more trouble than he looks.”

Melody smiled, her gaze drifting back to Geoff.“I think I can handle him.”

The three of them moved aside as the last people on Annie’s guest list arrived.Aden and Tam.Their entrance drew people’s attention for a moment then everyone went back to their conversations.“See?”Tam asked quietly,“The world didn’t end.”

Geoff was watching Aden closely.To his relief, he seemed more relaxed now than he had been since Tam had come back, since all the trouble had sprung up between them all.He was wondering if he should say something to either of them but before he could work out what, Annie had come over.“Thanks for coming.”

Aden nodded but looked slightly embarrassed.“Um, we haven’t got you a present.”

“Well, if you want, there is something you could do for me.”Annie indicated the solitary figure in the corner.“Talk to Belle.”

Aden seemed slightly nervous about the idea.“And say what?”

“You’ll think of something.”

Aden looked at Tam as though hoping for a way out but she just nodded in agreement.Sighing, he made the short walk across the room, aware that Belle’s eyes were on him all the way.“How have you been?”he asked awkwardly.

“Fine, Aden,”she answered testily.Both of them stood in silence, as though expecting the other one to speak.“Was that all?”she asked at last.

“No, I…I know I should have spoken to you before now.Because I loved you, Belle, and I guess in a way I still do.But the way I was acting…If I’d stayed around you, you’d have ended up hating me and that’s the one thing I could never have coped with.And then the thing with Tam…”

“Do you love her?”

“No.But I figure that’s okay, that’s how it works.You meet someone, you like them, you ask them out. And sometimes you fall in love, sometimes it works out, and sometimes it doesn’t.The important thing is you try.I did try with you, Belle.And I’m going to try with Tam.If there’s a chance that I’ve got a future with her, I’m going to take it.”He noticed her smile.“What?”

“Just thinking about how much you’ve changed.”

“A lot of that’s down to you.”

“Except I don’t get to feel the benefits.”

Aden looked at her intensely.“Belle, you were my first proper girlfriend, the first girl I ever loved, the first girl I ever trusted, the first girl that I could ever be myself with.And that’s never going to change and I think that bond’s always going to be there between us.But this is what I need to do now.”

Looking at her, it was as if a great weight had been lifted from Belle’s shoulder and, to his relief, he realised he’d said the right thing.“Thank you,”she told him.

Watching from over by the doorway, Tam leaned closer to Melody.“Do you think we’ve finally got ourselves a ceasefire?”

“I think we might have.”

“So, you got your eye on anyone at the moment?”Aden was asking Belle.

“Well, there’s not a lot of single guys left in this town.”

Aden thought for about it.“Nicole’s single,”he suggested.

“You keep your fantasies to yourself, Jefferies.”

“It’s your party,”Jai insisted.

“I’m not very good at public speaking,”Annie pointed out.

“It doesn’t have to be a long speech, just…say something.”He gave a satisfied look in response to Annie’s reluctant nod and then raised his voice slightly.“Everyone?Annie wants to say a few words.”

Annie cleared her throat nervously.“Well, um…it’s been a couple of years now since Geoff and I came to live here and back then we didn’t know any of you.But you’ve all made us feel welcome.Even the ones who we took a bit of time to get used to.So I want to thank you all and I’m really glad that you’re all here tonight.”

She was relieved when they all started applauding.Jai put his arm around her and kissed her on the cheek. “Happy birthday, Annie.”

As everyone’s attention began to drift elsewhere, Tam turned to Aden.“Did you get everything sorted with Belle?”

“Yeah.I never thought it’d happen but I think we can actually be friends.”

“Just friends?”

Aden caught the slight nervous tone in her voice.“What do you mean?”

“Well, everyone talks about how tight you two were so if you’re going to go back to her…”

He laid a consoling hand on her shoulder.“Hey.You’re my girl now, okay?”

She looked at him and believed him.“Do you want to go back to your place?”

He caught her meaning and nodded, slipping his arm around her waist as they quietly left the group.

Belle watched them go for a moment then realised Geoff was standing beside her.“Are you okay with that?”he asked.

She shrugged.“I guess it’s nothing to do with me anymore.I should probably try and be happy for them.”

“You seem to have missed out the most in all this.I mean, I’ve got Melody, Tam’s got Aden and you…”

“Yeah, I really needed that pointing out, Geoff.”

“I’m just trying to say sorry.”She gave a nod of acknowledgement.“Do you know what you’re going to do now?”

“You know, Geoff, I can’t actually remember the last time I wasn’t chasing after some guy or having one chase after me.Maybe I should see how I can cope on my own for a while.If I don’t enjoy my own company, no-one else is going to.”She waited until Geoff was taking another sip of his drink before adding, “Actually Aden suggested I should hook up with your ex.”

She was rewarded with the sight of Geoff spluttering orange juice everywhere.

It’s just occurred to me this has been one of the longest fan fictions of yours that I’ve read. You usually go for about 12 Chapters don’t you?

I think my shortest is 11 and my longest is 24.Either way...[cue drum roll]this is the last chapter.Hope everyone enjoys it.

CHAPTER 20

Aden lay there, Tam resting against him.So that was it.His first time with someone other than Belle.He’d still had a few lingering doubts, worries that that would be a problem.But in the end it had been so easy. Perhaps becoming close to one of the people he’d hurt had let him put his past to bed for good.He looked at her, wondering what she was thinking.“Was…was that what you were expecting?”Stupid question. Mentally, he kicked himself.

“I’m not sure what I was expecting.”She bit her lip nervously.“I’ve never done that before.”That startled him and made him feel suddenly privileged.She saw the surprise in his eyes and seemed to misinterpret it. “Is that a problem?”

“No.No.”He smiled softly at her and hugged her tighter.“It’s all new.”

“Geoff, where are we going?”Melody asked as he dragged her round the back of the surf club.

“I just thought you might want us to be alone for a while.”

She smiled knowingly.“I guess there is some appeal in that.”

He pulled her into a kiss.They were so engrossed in each other that it took them several seconds to notice. They turned round to see Jai and Annie standing there.And judging by the position they were in, they’d all come there for the same reason.

The four of them stood there awkwardly for a moment before Geoff broke the silence.“Maybe we should all go somewhere else.”

“Your place or ours?”asked Melody as she linked arms with him.

“Well, ours is nearer…”

“Do we really need to all stick together?”Annie asked quietly as they fell into step behind the other two.

Jai thought for a moment.“Wait for my signal, then we’ll make a break for my place.”

Belle tipped the contents of another plate into a plastic bag.She’d told Alf he could head home, that she’d look after the tidying up.It was a decision she was starting to regret.She stole a glance across at Nicole, who seemed to be even less pleased about things than she was.“How come we’re the ones that are left doing this?”Nicole complained.

“Because we’re the ones with nowhere to go and no-one to go there with.”

“True.Did it feel weird for you seeing Aden with someone else tonight?”

Belle thought it was a bit of a personal question but she didn’t really object to answering.“A bit,”she admitted at last.

“Me too.Seeing Geoff with someone else, I mean.”

“I think it’s something we’ll have to live with, at least for now.If something’s meant to be, it’ll happen.”

“You sound like you haven’t given up on Aden.”

“Well, if Geoff and Mel can get back together, anything’s possible.”Belle saw the hurt look on Nicole’s face and realised she’d said the wrong thing.“Sorry.”

“No, I’m over it.”Nicole stopped what she was doing and shot her a curious look.“Do you play pool?”

“Sometimes.Why?”

“It’s just with everyone else paired up I could use all the pool partners I can get.”

Belle had a feeling she was going to regret this.“Me too.”

“Me three,”added Ruby.

Belle and Nicole turned round at the voice.Neither of them had been aware she’d still been sitting in the corner.“What about Xavier?”Belle asked.

“We split up two weeks ago.Didn’t you know?”

Belle looked at Nicole, who shrugged.“Guess we’ve both been a bit preoccupied lately.”

Nicole beckoned for Ruby to join them.“Anyway, consider yourself accepted into the sisterhood.”

Belle shook her head in bewilderment.“What are you suggesting?We form some sort of ex-girlfriends club?”

“Why not?”Nicole put her arms round the other two’s shoulders, apparently oblivious to the sudden scared looks on their faces.“This could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship.”

Tam watched Aden sleeping for a moment before groping on the floor for a shirt.Nicole or Roman walking in on her standing about naked wasn’t really one of her fantasies.Once she was suitably covered up, she slipped out of bed and went to the window.

It was all there.The beach, the surf club, the caravan park, Tony and Rachel’s house.Summer Bay.There had been times when she’d wondered if she’d made a mistake coming back here.But no longer.She had friends, she had a family.She had a boyfriend who wasn’t exactly the guy she’d expected to end up with but who made her happy all the same.And she realised in that moment, looking out at it all, that she was home.

“Well, Summer Bay,”she said to no-one in particular,“Looks like we both survived my coming back here. See you in the morning.”

Comments

Archived